• 1,069 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

: )

• Vguy72

• proudfoot

Jim is right

PRIMAL GD, please.

• JimInMD

Agree. We are long overdue for pre-70's GD.

In addition to us.. the tapes are not getting any younger either. Remember that Universal Music Group fire a decade or so ago when all those master tapes went up in flames?

Release some primal dead Lemieux...

• dmcvt

no coincidence, must be synchronicity... had a Viola Lee Blues day yesterday, best up against each other... great examples of early jam, vocals, tempo, you name it. Raw, primal, enough to convince me, this is why we might not see release of much more 60s material, younger generations can't handle it. OK, would accept a 9-10 disc 60s box set sorted by early venues with photos, short history of these early treasures. Start with anything remaining from the Acid Tests. What the heck, River box had warts, we can take a few warts. Never be another '60s DaP. Please release from the vault what you have before we old folks (maybe the best audience and customers), literally become Grateful Deaf or Dead. Road Trips 2.2 complete has two VLB, the bonus disc version at 22:46 opens such a great run of era music... Dead heat with TTATS 1967 Shrine VLB... further research advised.

• JimInMD

Sacred ground. The Mount Rainier of Primal Dead Shows.

• Sixtus_

Indeed, 2/14/68 is the show from which they pull that foray into 'There is Mountain' from the raging Alligator that ends up spliced together on Anthem of the Sun. As we know this full show was a road trips release, which incidentally was recently re-released on CD last year and I picked up a copy just so I had an extra. It's all that good.

Sixtus

• proudfoot

First there is a mountain

• icecrmcnkd

Watched the DVD this past weekend and they say what live shows were used for Anthem.
    I don’t remember what shows they were by this point, so you will have to watch for yourself.

• dmcvt

It's up for scrutiny, Dave's seaside starting with ADD observations, eagles and crows off camera... and no, I don't mind, I love birds too. Baltimore CC is special, my first live Dead, spring 1973 (Wolfman) with photos, since I carried a camera in. Saw Jimi there, Jefferson Airplane too while still in high school. High hopes for this one, all signs point to great sound because of excellent source material and possible top five o.a.t. versions of a couple favorites (NFA). Been avoiding 1977, cause yeah, so much greatness is already out there... right now, no one has posted any comments yet... who's on first? This one should sell out quickly. And here's your missing #40 DC US Blues.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

How can anyone credibly attempt a biopic of Jer when the movie will undoubtedly run far less time than practically any Jer or GD show ever lasted? IMHO, biopics are morbid exercises. So, let me guess: the movie begins on-location in the Haight, so plenty of tie-dye, beads, bell-bottoms and pot smoke -- all probably well ahead of when they actually caught on, but why not milk a cliche? Then the early shows when the band dressed even worse. Then, whaaat? Jer smoking persian in a airplane bathroom? And then Jer in a coma. Got it.

While I'm at it, I thought the "Long Strange Trip" doc really missed an opportunity. In fact, it revealed that you can be a good technician or editor and still not know how to tell a story. None of the main characters were introduced as such, they just pop up without any attention given to how disparate personalities made up a band. Then the film is just a mish-mash of roughly chronological material. Obviously, the vault did not provide material that may see commercial release -- i.e., shows, possibly including footage that didn't make Festival Express.

I swear I got up on the right side of the bed this morning, it's just that a biopic of Jer needs swift and complete condemnation. And Scorcese's name means nothing anymore; he's an ossified relic who makes excellent mobster movies. A biopic of Jer is a floating turd. Not that I have any strong feelings on the matter.....

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

....at the House Of Blues. New line up is solid and they can still bring the heat. Was stoked when they laid down a smoking version of Thorn In My Pride.. Excellent show. Bravo guys.

On the up side, I hear Iggy Pop has agreed to play Pole Guy and Jonah Hill will be in character - high on acid - through at least the first half of the movie.

Edit: Which begs the question.. has Jonah Hill actually dosed?

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Pole Guy, I try so hard (wink) not to bring him up. I did watch to Daydream on its date.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Except, the Pole Guy IS Iggy Pop, did no one catch that before??

And that's the perfect frame for the movie. It opens with Jer soloing on Dark Star in that Oregon meadow, Pole Guy swaying in the breeze, and Jer begins thinking over his career -- how did it come to this? There were no Pole Guys in the Haight... Maybe the GD were ALWAYS an anachronism and the punksters were just patiently waiting to expose their abs.

Okay, I'll play. Jeff Goldberg will play Bill Graham. Meatloaf will play Pigpen. Fabio will play Bob Weir. Ichabod Crane will play Phil Lesh. Bill Murray will play Bill Kreutzmann. Fu-Manchu will play Mickey Hart.........

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

Hope everyone's Friday is swell :). Looking for help figuring out how long a copy of Dave's Picks might take to ship to Israel. I ordered a copy of DaP 40 for a friend there and the tracking info hasn't been updated in almost three weeks. Just want to make sure it's still on the way. If there are any Israeli deadheads who might be able to help me figure it out please let me know. Thank you!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Ha, Iggy as pole guy, proper! LOL
At first I had an adverse reaction to the idea of Jonah hill as JG, though he did do a good job of his drug addled character in Wolf of Wall Street. Some of that footage when their binged out on Quaaludes is pretty funny, though seemed a bit of a rip off of Fear and Loathing in LV?
So who knows, guess it will be very dependent on the script. Unfortunately, I think HF is not wrong in his prediction. I guess like a bad car wreck we’ll have to rubberneck and find out?
Doubt I’ll actually pay to see this but if it eventually gets streamed for free, as Jim says, I am interested in the content?

GARY: that sounds like a lot of fire power (wattage/SPL)for such a small room? I believe you say you have subs? And floor standers or stand speakers? With big floor standers and subs in a room that small you must have some nasty room modes?
That’s my current issue. My rooms a little too narrow for my hardware/speakers. Eventually going to try some bass traps in the corners as well as additional adsorption at the first reflection points. Then after I’ve done all I can acoustically and using a spectrum analyzer, I’ll use my DSP processor to smooth out the rest. Digital DSP can be a yin/yang thing so like to use as little as necessary. Not considered very purist by strictly analog folks, but whatever actually works, IF, it improves, not diminishes. Like the way most folks misuse equalizers…
Do you use any analyzation or DSP to smooth that out?
It’s nice that someone understands that big power isn’t necessarily about being loud, it’s about tone and clean distortion free sound. Like driving an old school big V8 car: you might not need to go super fast, but when you step on the peddle it’s nice to have all that power!
I’ve found a really good system can get so loud you don’t even know it’s loud until you try to talk to the person sitting next to you!

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by simonrob

Have a lot of new bands to check out. Although I am set in my ways I still venture out from time to time. I still listen to Floyd, but only 10-15 hours a year. And Yes, bout the same. Still some redneck music like bluegrass etc. More on this as we move forward.

I am sure most know what psychedelic means. From the Greek psyche means soul and delic (or delous if memory serves) means to reveal.

I was a huge prog head starting around 1976, but I also saw KISS twice that year. I even go back for nostalgia to listen to KISS (ooops sorry) maybe 5 hours a year. I am one who takes some notes on others writings/suggestions here. Can't take a lot of notes as this board moves to quickly.

I am trying to figure out how to construct a Title/Subject I posted on after DaP39, "The Rounder We Get, The Slower We Go." Part of the basis for this is music, sound quality, history, to reveal more of my soul without putting too much on line. As part of this thought experiment, I noticed that after 39 came people moaned about an 80's show. So I posted a couple of paragraphs from "This Is All a Dream", about the progression of the dead from ballrooms to stadiums. Then when "Listen to the River" came out there were others who came on and moaned about the quality of the recordings. Ironic, isn't it? I also know there are the daily posters , of which I am not. And I am not talking about them as we discuss quality of show or the recording thereof. I would say 95% of those who post are the hardcore heads, those satisfied with the immense history of the band and the product now brought forth, fully understanding the disclosure that Dick placed on his first publishing of vault material.

So, to keep a short subject long winded, I will quote Yes from "Going for the ONE." To be psychedelic, to reveal oneself to another (as much as we can here but still stay safe, but in our normal lives), requires as the lyrics say "to be an ever opening flower." This is hard to do, and even harder today than when the hippies in January thru May of 1967, when this really got rolling. Of course, all of that crashed down just a few months later with the collapse of Hashbury.

Ao anyway, as Jeff says, Onward, more later.

G

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Hope it didn't go USPS (and I doubt it would have) because the USPS stopped all mail to I think 20+ countries recently because of "unavailability of carriers". I know NZ and Australia were on that list. It'd be worth checking on.
Good luck!
Edit: Israel not on that list of 20+ countries.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Iggy Pop as Pole Guy

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooove it

HF: amen

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

firing that one up today

finished 7/5/78 yesterday

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

that is some funny stuff!!!

Oro...the continued discussion of my stereo is part of the The Rounder We Get motif. But you have it correct.

Simon...will keep posted on the right diaper inflection point. Hardy Har!

Got to go visit my elderly parents, hope to continue in a bit.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I thought that was serious when I first read it! I can't see much good coming from this film. Maybe a good idea to have Altamont as the cut off point.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

If you are interested Soul Jazz Records have 4 volumes called ‘Deutsche Elektronische Musik:’ that are worth a listen.

DAVEROCK I think Iggy was built for the part as long as age hasn’t withered him :-)

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Got your message y mucho grass Señor!

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

First Show, looks like folks have covered most of the Euro prog-rock. I do remember enjoying Focus, and Tassavan President. I am a solid Kinkophile, so I will offer some suggestions. The Kinks break down into three different bands spanning their career:

Early Kinks Quartet

Middle Kinks with horns, keyboards and back-up singers

Arena Kinks Quintet with keyboards

Early Quintet: "Village Green Preservation Society"-a classic, "Something Else" has Waterloo Sunset, "Face to Face" had Sunny Afternoon

Middle Kinks: "Muswell Hillbillies", "Everybody's in Showbiz", "Schoolboys in Disgrace", "Soap Opera"

Arena Kinks: "Sleepwalker", "Misfits"

Live Kinks: "One for the Road"(Arena Kinks), "To the Bone" (retrospective live performance)

Ray Davies is one of the greatest living songwriters of our time.

user picture

Member for

11 years

HendrixFreak, you must be the casting director. So behind reading posts, so much catching up, fall super busy time for me. Cold rain and snow here in Vermont today, graupel, near white out squalls on the interstate. Began to review my earliest concerts, there's a ton from 1968-1974, some remarkable, crazy how much. First ever: the Inaugural Parade for JFK & LBJ, January 20, 1961, rocked my eight year old world, do still have the ticket. Not to sound pretentious or in loco parentis, will tie off there for now. Fine first rock concert was Jimi Hendrix and Soft Machine March 10, 1968, the infamous chicken head tackle show.

Really enjoyed DaP 40, in spite of my first decade bias. Used to be I could not get into the Dead's music all that much after 1979, with what was happening to Jerry in the 1980s, got over that a few years ago. Have used an old Radio Shack db meter for years to randomly monitor volume, at most, typical peaks run 85 to 90 in a 12x20 room, above that is almost too much now for the old folk at home. Many many watts not just for clean loud music, as much definition and dynamic range, sometimes hard to find in recording run through compression, seek whisper quiet to thunder. Most ridiculously loud show in recent memory : Steve Vai, thought the roof was going fall. Thanks to all for the great recent most entertaining postings, best wishes for Thanksgiving.

Adam Nimoy as Mickey Hart (Leonard Nemoy was Scorsese's first choice, RIP Dr. Spock) and Jack Black as Pigpen?

Meatloaf.. ha!! But I can't quite process what Good Lovin' > Paradise by the Dashboard Light > Good Lovin' might sound like should he decide to improvise. It has the potential to ruin the Grateful Dead. Yes, it would be the end. We would have to find another band or more likely give up music all together and become accountants.

Gets it’s, Audio Nirvana!

I have similar size room.
85-90dB is usually just exactly perfect depending on source!
Usually lol.

Have y’all seen Mac is reissuing the great MC3500!
3 fiddy of TUBE power, they must scream!

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

David Bowie

A true artist

user picture

Member for

7 years

The 1985 deep purple, perfect strangers tour in the prov. civic center. I being 17 y/o never heard anything louder, and great. I dont remember 'girlschool' playing but I think they were there.

user picture

Member for

7 years

It's pole guy this, and pole guy that. Thanks a lot. Now the nightmares are going to start up again. Thanks guys.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

....is curious indeed. I will keep my opinion open for the time being.
Phish cross-posted that topic on reddit to hilarious responses.
I'm game.
Regarding Carlo. Girlschool was probably there. Cool name. A for effort.
Flashback to last night. The Crowes played Hard To Handle as they do every concert. Cut it off short. Seems to me they may be tired of playing it. My observation. I was looking forward to Struttin Blues anyway.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

50 years ago today…..

November 20, 1971
Pauley Pavilion, University of California @ Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California

Set 1: Bertha-Me And My Uncle-Sugaree-Beat It On Down The Line-Tennessee Jed-Mexicali Blues-Brown Eyed Women-El Paso-Big Railroad Blues-Jack Straw-Cumberland Blues-Playing In The Band-Casey Jones-One More Saturday Night

Set 2: Truckin'>drums>The Other One>Ramble On Rose-Sugar Magnolia-You Win Again-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

Deadicated to sepp the promoter, mikegordon, mickyfun, desertgirl, maisenberg, double-zero sol, jamesegal, uptownww, tubeguitaramps, dickelliott, csteitz, ortise, blue planetary storm, rlbilsky, progguy, stevehcohen, martyweinberg, andychatfield, drummingclown420, and jackstrawfrommaine because memory narrativises itself……..

Who am I? Where am I? What am I doing here and what does it all mean? And he may look at you and say something weird but y’know it’s all in the game of life and there’s nothin’ you can do about it………….

Some where between Albuquerque and Los Angeles, Truckin’ went straight to the top of the charts in Turlock, California………

Sure wish the commonly circulating soundboards of this show were better quality. Perhaps some day it will be cleaned up and officially released, so that it can get the respect it deserves. Solid, well played, underrated and underappreciated…………….

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less………

Rock on!!

Doc
We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us……

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Emerson, Lake and Palmer's take on Mussorgsy's "Pictures At An Exhibition" was always worth taking a pop at. It always amused me the way they credited themselves, with the composer, as being a co-authors of the piece. So one of the excerpts on the album would be credited as being written by Emerson/Lake/Mussorgsky. Not only did they infer collaboration, they also gave the composer third billing on his own composition! Bummer.

The best rock/classical piece I heard was King Crimson's massacre of "Mars" from Holst's "Planet Suite" Sounds like the end of the fricking world.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Who, if anyone, managed to make sense of 1969's Concerto for Group and Orchestra by Deep Purple and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra? What was the point? What were they trying to achieve? Why?

user picture

Member for

11 years

College buddy, back in 1970, introduced me to The Nice (Keith Emerson), via Five Bridges. Saw Emerson Lake & Palmer at Merriweather Post Pavilion summer 1972, however my first show there was (shudder shame) Iron Butterfly, 1970. Last show there: Dear Jerry. Curfew there remarkably continues to suck, at least two groups were cut at Dear Jerry. Thank goodness Ripple finale allowed to run over a few minutes.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Daverock,
I have to agree what you're saying.
Even though I was a big fan of them in the 70s.
Met a guy in Devon a couple of years ago who had attended this show in Newcastle.
Cheers G.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

On the sold out DaP 40? Problem spilling over from the Black Friday page I guess.

I have that Pictures at an Exhibition album by ELP. Has a $1.00 price in bold crayon across the front. Ruins the collectability, LOL. Good intro to classical for the young rockers.

Cheers all!

My brother liked ELP a lot, so I heard all there primary albums. Pictures At An Exhibition was quite entertaining, as I remember it, but it wasnt really my cup of coco. I tended more to the spacier or hard rocking end of the spectrum.
I did actually see Carl Palmer and a three piece band with guitar instead of organ, supporting Hawkwind- somewhere in the early part of this century. It was quite a surprise, and again quite entertaining.

I have still never heard that Deep Purple album with the orchestra. Being cynical, I would say that after the pop psych thing had fizzled out, they weren't quite sure where their talents, or, more to the point, where the money lay - classical cross over or heavy rock. They made this one and Deep purple In Rock in fairly quick succession and sat back to see which one stuck. In Rock hit the bullseye, the classical one didn't, and they became what they became.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

My last show was the Gatorators, a offshoot of the Radiators, at Phil's Terrapin Crossroads Grate Room. This was February 28, 2020, right before San Francisco shut down on March 17th. We had fun, saw friends, and stayed away a little in the corner of the room. The Gatorators did a great Animals medley of We got to get out of this place>Don't let me be misunderstood>It's my Life that night.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

my brother bought Tarkus waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1972 or 73

I was 9 or 10

I know that album by heart. I could sing it to you in full on demand.

How wants to hear?

anyone?

why are you running away?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Hopefully I’m proven wrong…My first reaction- Casting Jonah Hill as Jerry Garcia is like casting Jodie Foster as Serena Williams. And it doesn’t even matter that Jodie Foster has a wicked backhand. I’d be more interested in a Ken Burns style of documentary. Long Strange Trip is very well done, but not as in-depth as it could have been. A GD movie with Jonah Hill as Jerry…seems like an episode of The Simpsons.

Edit to add…Probably too harsh in my criticism, whatever. Still feels like casting Keanu Reaves to play Bob Dylan.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I saw ELP in November 1970 at St Georges Hall in Liverpool doing ‘Pictures at an exhibition’. That was quite loud, although Led Zeppelin at Liverpool University in May 71 was louder. In my defence, I only went to see ELP because I really liked The Nice and they’d split up before I had a chance to see them.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Zuckfun

Funny funny stuff

Episode of the Simpsons...

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

My quietest concerts, we're seeing Elizabeth Cotton at the tiny Sweetwater in Mill Valley, and John Fahey at the old Freight & Salvage, on San Pablo Ave over in Berkeley. Unforgettable quiet moment in a Grateful Dead concert, 9/11/81 at the Greek Theatre durring Morning Dew, when Garcia sang "I guess it doesn't matter anyway", you could hear a pin drop in that place. Super cool moment, that I'll never forget.

Billy - yes, that's where the magic lies. I can remember seeing B.B. King the first time, and he did that song where he roars the opening line-"I've got a good mind to give up living." He then stared out at the crowd - no music, no chatting in the audience - perfect silence. I was spellbound.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Worst audience ever was probably Steven Wilson at the Boulder Theater a few years back. Don't really like him much anyway but a friend is a big fan so went out for the night. The audience sat on their hands the whole time and were just so... analytical and uptight, much like Steven Wilson and his music. Anyway I hated it and my friend the big SW geek was also nonplussed.

Other horrible experience at jazz club Dazzle in Denver. We'd been in there all afternoon racking up a huge food and drink tab with many persons, and then before the music started the hostess came over and said, no talking. Like, not "keep your voices low, please," but silencio! What total bullshit.

I'd been drinking and let my feelings be known. Having been to El Chapultapec as well as other noisy, bustling jazz clubs before, it's up to the artist to engage the audience and if people want to chat over drinks so be it. This place was like fucking church.

I got us thrown out on purpose, left loudly and fuck Dazzle. I'll see my live jazz elsewhere.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Yes is One of my favorite bands and I have seen them many times, I saw that crab nebula show with Moraz, like his playing with them, saw them in 72 with Wakeman, the Tales tour in February 74 when Wakeman played White Christmas during awakening because it was so cold. in the round with Moraz, in quad with Moraz again, 30th and 35th anniversary tours. the 30th anniversary was with Igor Stravinsky in the keyboard spot and he was good also, even if short lived for that position. That was the quietest show I have ever been to, Jon Anderson even commented on how attentive and quite the crowd was which helped them as a band put forth their best sound, and it was an awesome show. During and you and I, you could hear a pin drop, no, really, it was that quiet. 35th was with Wakeman again and I always loved those first lp's with him. Since then, they have gotten rid of Anderson, who, IMO, is Yes. And Wakeman is not with them anymore and Squire passed away, so it's basically just Howe and White left of the original band.
Saw the Kinks during the "Low Budget" tour, awesome show and Ray and Dave were at their peak. what period would that be? It was in an arena if I recall.
So If jonah is to play Jer, can he play? will his playing be dubbed, should be interesting but I sure won't pay to see it.
German bands I liked back in the day were Lucifer's Friend, first Krautrock I ever heard and I loved them, kinda a cross between Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath and Uriah Heep. Also Kraftwerk were favs in the 70's.
Roger Waters' sound has always been spectacular, have seen him many times from the Pro's and Con's tour, thru his latest tour, the DSOTM tour was great, In the Flesh circa 2000 was good too, great light show and clear as a bell sounds.
soo much to comment on and so little time, you guys rock

....and fell asleep. Woke up an hour later to some good sounding music that I was unfamiliar with. It seems YouTube picked The Tedeschi Trucks Band as a recommendation. Wow! What a band. I had heard of them before, but never really checked them out. Thanks YouTube! I proceeded to binge on them until 2 AM. My new favorite band for the week! Highly recommend 👌.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by LedDed

Ledded's comment reminded me - that was one advantage of those ultra loud bands we were talking about. They drowned out the assholes who can't stop talking.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Hard to believe you haven't found TTB until now Vguy. My concert buddy and I were discussing who we dared to venture out of covid hiding to go see and both came up with TTB. She is so soulful, he the most amazing guitarist, love watching his hands and cannot imagine how he gets those sounds. Amazing finger play. Of course you probably know Derek is Butch Trucks (ABB) son and grew up around some amazing musicians and was on stage himself at age 12. TTB has taken up the mantle of all the great rhythm and blues acts like Delany and Bonnie and are single handedly introducing the great songs of the '60s and '70s to a younger audience as well as some gems of their own. Great mix in the band of horns and fantastic backround singers like Mike Mattison. Great interview with Derek about learning who those great R & B artists were in a backwards way in the 2010 Clapton Crossroads Festival DVD. This artist leading to that one, etc. I think that's when I found them doing Derek and the Dominos song Anyday with Bill Murray going WOW! and Eric singing along backstage. Priceless. I will say that Derek is not Duane Allman reincarnated as some have said. They have similar tricks and sounds but Derek has a style all his own. There are a couple of his slide tricks he overuses IMO but not to a level where I don't watch and learn. I could go on all day about these guys. Oh yeah, and Oteil B. (D.&Co.) is their bassist often! We are everywhere. Enjoy!
Cheers!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

....I knew of them, but never really heard them. I was watching Black Crowes videos, Chris Robinson apparently sits in with them every now and then. The YouTube algorithm apparently works well.
Immediately looked up tour dates. No west coast fare, yet. I will be looking out for them.
And Derek is actually Butch's nephew.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Thanks for reminding me. I've been meaning to do my second run through of their full rendition of Derek & The Domimos Layla That TTB released recently (2019 LOCKN' show?). Got that a while back and have had so much to listen to lately I put it away and forgot about it. The original Layla was such a huge part of my early influences it would be hard for me to not love it. Trey A. doesn't really shine with all those guitars in there but I could pick him out pretty readily when he got the solos. I'll be looking for them at Red Rocks.
Cheers
Edit: and thx for the correction re: nephew. I thought Derek was the little boy on the cover of ABB's Brothers and Sisters album too until I looked it up. A whole bunch of Dereks, Duanes, and other tribute names in that generation that grew up on the Georgia farm (commune?) that ABB retreated to after Duane's death. Too bad it didn't console Barry Oakley who took Duane's death hard and ended up in his own motorcycle accident a year or so later.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

....is like nothing I've ever seen before. How he gets that tone is baffling. Probably the best slide style player I've seen. Granted, I haven't seen them all. Wikipedia describes Susan's voice as a blend of Joplin and Raitt. Spot on.
I saw that Trey appears on that Layla cover. Will be checking that out for sure.
Music is best regarding soothing ones soul et al.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-40.html