• 1,069 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

: )

• Vguy72

• proudfoot

Jim is right

PRIMAL GD, please.

• JimInMD

Agree. We are long overdue for pre-70's GD.

In addition to us.. the tapes are not getting any younger either. Remember that Universal Music Group fire a decade or so ago when all those master tapes went up in flames?

Release some primal dead Lemieux...

• dmcvt

no coincidence, must be synchronicity... had a Viola Lee Blues day yesterday, best up against each other... great examples of early jam, vocals, tempo, you name it. Raw, primal, enough to convince me, this is why we might not see release of much more 60s material, younger generations can't handle it. OK, would accept a 9-10 disc 60s box set sorted by early venues with photos, short history of these early treasures. Start with anything remaining from the Acid Tests. What the heck, River box had warts, we can take a few warts. Never be another '60s DaP. Please release from the vault what you have before we old folks (maybe the best audience and customers), literally become Grateful Deaf or Dead. Road Trips 2.2 complete has two VLB, the bonus disc version at 22:46 opens such a great run of era music... Dead heat with TTATS 1967 Shrine VLB... further research advised.

• JimInMD

Sacred ground. The Mount Rainier of Primal Dead Shows.

• Sixtus_

Indeed, 2/14/68 is the show from which they pull that foray into 'There is Mountain' from the raging Alligator that ends up spliced together on Anthem of the Sun. As we know this full show was a road trips release, which incidentally was recently re-released on CD last year and I picked up a copy just so I had an extra. It's all that good.

Sixtus

• proudfoot

First there is a mountain

• icecrmcnkd

Watched the DVD this past weekend and they say what live shows were used for Anthem.
    I don’t remember what shows they were by this point, so you will have to watch for yourself.

• dmcvt

It's up for scrutiny, Dave's seaside starting with ADD observations, eagles and crows off camera... and no, I don't mind, I love birds too. Baltimore CC is special, my first live Dead, spring 1973 (Wolfman) with photos, since I carried a camera in. Saw Jimi there, Jefferson Airplane too while still in high school. High hopes for this one, all signs point to great sound because of excellent source material and possible top five o.a.t. versions of a couple favorites (NFA). Been avoiding 1977, cause yeah, so much greatness is already out there... right now, no one has posted any comments yet... who's on first? This one should sell out quickly. And here's your missing #40 DC US Blues.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

18,000 happy Dead Heads could not be wrong. Deer Creek, my how you deliver.

We're closing the books on DAVE'S PICKS 2021 with not one but two - nearly - complete shows from Noblesville, IN 7/18/90 & 7/19/90. Yes, we've packed it all on four CDs, save for that second night encore which we promise you'll get to hear in the very near future. Sometimes there really is just too much good stuff.

For now, we'll invite you to cozy up with two exceptional back-to-back shows, shows with precision and clarity, shows with more than a lion's share of exploratory jams, and most importantly, shows that were simply a damn good time for all. Highlights from night one include the bookends of a spectacular "Help>Slip!>Franklin's" and an epically intricate "Morning Dew" followed by a classic cover of "The Weight." Night two, is the sleeper hit, with flawless playing from start to finish, the set list inviting you to find new favorites in top-notch renditions of "Foolish Heart" or "Victim Or The Crime," and if that's not one of the finest versions of "Desolation Row" Bobby ever did do! We would be remiss if we didn't mention that these shows were among Brent's last and they are some of his finest of the era at that.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL. 40: DEER CREEK MUSIC CENTER, NOBLESVILLE, IN 7/18 & 19/90 was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

How in the hell did I miss that DaP 41 was Baltimore '77? I've always loved that show!! Did it go out in email, I can't find anything on dead.net?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I said the same thing Burnsy. I had to go back to the Seaside chat for the subscription to find it.
#41 from '77 and #42 from '74! "We're in heaven, man!" JG
Cheers!

Edit: I think back then I was so chuffed to get the night before, Richmond VA, on DaP#1 vinyl that I forgot all about Baltimore being DaP#41.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Dave's 41: Spring 77
Dave's 42: Feb 74

chick a boom chick a boom
dontcha just love it

I LOVE it

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Just got my two day pass for Tedeschi Trucks Band & Los Lobos at Red Rocks...i went to the band website and clicked info next to to ticket button on the Red Rocks date and it displayed the code...I got a two day GA pass for a total of $142....Wheee....

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

OK, they got me. I thought I was gonna pass on the subscription this year, and just go a la carte. The Baltimore 77 show is great, but I've got so so much 77 it didn't seem like something I HAD to HAVE. But if DaP 42 is gonna be Winterland 74, and if that's gonna be the one with the bonus disc, I don't see how I can be expected to resist. Which means I will taxed about $30 for my stupidity in not just getting the early bird subscription. Ah well. Tried to save a buck, wound up paying the Stupid Tax. Story of my life, really.

Doc is an Angel-headed hipster burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night.

Cool to know some others here will be at TTB Red Rocks. See you there! I'll be the geeky old white dude in row 50.

of course the other two will be Boreal Ridge and 2/16/88.

I subscribe for the peace of mind, if nothing else.

77 and 74...as the kids say: "LET'S GO!"

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

It concerns me that yet again the first two DAVE PICKS of the year(2022) will be shows from: 1977 & 1974 in that order. It has become all too much of a familiar pattern, having these two years as the first two releases each year, that's not what the Dead were about....following repetitive patterns. It's song limiting over their career body of material, and honestly most 1974 shows were repetitive, sounding the same, and limited setlist material(I get it that their were some good shows with 4-5 DS played during the year). Between 1973, 1974, and 1977 this makes up 40% of the 42 Dave Picks - that's not fair IMHO!! The Dead were about exploring, how about exploring the years 1980-1993 or so for the next, say, 10 releases....geeeezzz! I think the Spring of 1977 has run its course, kinda time to move on IMHO!!!!

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

It was Garcia's first show back after his medical emergency, and what a show it was. The Dead kicked off the show with Touch of Grey and when Garcia sang "I will survive" the audience just really cut loose. But the best was durring Candyman, when Garcia sang " Hand me my old guitar" it felt like the roof would blow off that place, the audience was so loud, listen to it on the audience tape, the audience roar really comes through. Garcia looked so happy to be playing again, and was having the time of his life. I know some other folks from the forum were there, it was a very special night.

gotta give that one a go

I listened to 12/31/86 over the summer, and really dug that one

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by itsburnsy

It was announced on the seaside chat.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by RV3

For the past 2 years the last 2 DaP releases of the year have been Brent shows, with 40 and 36 being 4-CD releases.

We haven’t seen a 77 followed by a 74 since 33 and 34.

Here’s a summary from dead disc dot com:

Dave's Picks Volume 33: Dekalb, IL, 10/29/77
Three CD release of the complete Grateful Dead show at Evans Field House, N. Illinois University, Dekalb on October 29, 1977

Dave's Picks Volume 34: Jai-Alai Fronton, Miami, June 23, 1974
Three CD release of the complete Grateful Dead show at Jai-Alai Fronton, Miami on June 23, 1974.

Dave's Picks Volume 35: Philadelphia Civic Center, Philadelphia, PA, April 20, 1984.
Three CD release of the complete Grateful Dead show in Philadelphia on April 20, 1984 plus 3 tracks from the April 19, 1984 show.

Dave's Picks Volume 36: Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, CT on March 26 & 27, 1987.
Four CD release of two complete Grateful Dead show in Hartford, CT on March 26 & 27, 1987.

Dave's Picks Volume 37: College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, VA, on April 15, 1978
Three CD release of the Williamsburg 4/15/78 show plus music from the Pittsburgh 4/18/78 show.

Dave's Picks Volume 38: Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, NY, 9/8/73
Three CD release of the Nassau Coliseum show on September 8, 1973 plus 2 tracks from the September 8, 1973 show at the same venue.

Dave's Picks Volume 39: The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA, 4/26/83
Three CD release of the Philadelphia show on April 26, 1983. Plus bonus tracks from April 26, 1983 (Philadelphia) and April 15, 1983 (Rochester).

Dave's Picks Volume 40: Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, IN, 7/18/90 and 7/19/90
Four CD release of two Deer Creek shows from July 1990. (The encore from the second show was omitted and included as a bonus track on Dave's Picks Volume 41).

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

It was the announcement that #42 would be a '73 Winterland show that got me back on the subscription bus. If, instead, they had announced they were going to spend the next 2-3 years exploring the '80s-'90s, I would've tuned out for a while.

Different strokes for different folks, and so on and so on and scooby dooby doobie.

DaP 2020
7 CD’s Brent
7 CD’s not Brent

DaP 2021
7 CD’s Brent
7 CD’s not Brent

I like Brent.
In fact I’m listening to 9-30-89 right now.

I also like 60’s, 70’s, 90’s.
In fact, 65-95 are my go to years.
Just listened to 10-12-68 set 2 before I started 9-30-89.
I listened to 10-12-68 this weekend for the first time, and just did set 2 tonight when I saw that Jim set that as the date on his wayback machine.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Doc-Thank you for that wonderful gift of reminding me to listen to 12/14/71. I think your enthusiasm definitely helps, but I truly enjoyed the experience!!
CrowToldMe-You’re not the only one paying the stupid tax. After 10 years of early bird subscriptions, I thought this would be the year I went a la carte. But damn if Winterland ‘74 didn’t suck me right back in. But hey, I think it was really only a $16.00 tax, and if that bonus disc costs me $16.00, that’s a steal!!
DAVEROCK-I just got my Comus cd today. Brilliant!! I know you weren’t trying to sell it, but when you talked about being frightened when listening to it, I knew it was for me!!

P.S……to everyone. Enjoy, be safe, and treat others just as you wish to be treated.
Music is the Best!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Glad you like the Comus cd - no, I wasn't trying to sell it - just recommend a cool album. You've heard of easy listening - that's uneasy listening ! This "Dust on The Nettles" compilation is like pretty good collection of acid folk-whatever it's called. Another good, little known one is ,"Dreaming With Alice" by Mark Fry - "The witch is looking through my window/Her cold breath on the window pane" Yikes.

It all seems to tie in with what's been called the "folk horror" movement in films and books. The two signature films are "The Wicker Man" and "Blood on Satan's Claw" - and there is a corker of a box set coming out soon - "All The Haunts Be Ours" - although I don't think it plays on British blu ray set ups.

In addition to my favorite era from 1963 through 1995, I really love 1968.

What they lack in song variety, they more than make up for with crackling energy and creative improvisations. I don't always trip, wear warpaint and pole dance naked while listening to live Dead.. but when I do, it's 1968 Live Dead.

Now that we are getting 2/23/74 (and highlights of 2/22 with the bonus disc), we can take a short breath.. but we cannot relax, we cannot give up the fight. If we don't get a late 60's for DaP 43 or DaP 44, I say we storm the vault and abscond with all the master reels we can carry. Norman and Glasser are in, who else is with us? I have this awesome powerpoint on how we can pull this off and get away with it. With detailed, step by step instructions.. it's foolproof.

#FreeTheReels.

Who's with me?

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by daverock

slightly off topic but in your mention of "The Wicker Man" I thought of an Italian film from 1960... "Black Sunday" directed by Mario Bravo and starring Barbara Steele...I was ten years old when I saw it ...scared the crap out of me...the theatre I saw it at had their restrooms upstairs and I went up to use the men's room...in the foyer between the restroom entrances there was a coffin (a promo item from the movie) that played a prominent part in it...I couldn't bring myself to pass it to enter the men's room...sad

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Nappyrags - how great to have seen it in the theatre. It looks beautiful on blu ray - but films aren't really the same when you watch them at home. Mario Bava's films look beautiful - and that's the best in my eyes. Barbara Steele looks luminous in this. It's worth tracking all her Italian horror films, in my world. Not great films in the conventional sense of the word, perhaps - but conventions are for the conventional anyway.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

My brother was at 2/22/74, he says it's a killer show, only time he saw Garcia sing " Nobody's Fault but Mine". Jim, some 1968 would be fantastic, as a Dave's Pick or a stand alone release. It will be interesting to see if Dave keeps the same format for the last two picks or veers off course and puts out some 1968,69 or 70s shows. I would always be more happy with a full show release, but partial shows are totally cool on these earlier years where a reel flip might make it hard to release the whole show. But I'm with everybody else my favorite years are 1961( Sleepy Hallow Hog Stompers), to 6/3/95( my last show) and everything in between.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I had fun that night.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Strider 808808

Good to see ya, we missed you!

Ever notice how Strider always somehow was at “the” shows!
Must be psychic, so, have any good lottery or stock tips! ; )

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I was in 4th grade in Wisconsin

The bus was 8.5 years away

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I'm seriously envious of strider shows (and many others that frequent this place and share their stories freely). Man, that February Winterland run
must have been epic.

Wow.
Wow.

I would love a soundboard of this show

So we don't have to hear the

TALKERS/YAKKERS

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Proudfoot, there is a soundboard of 6/22/76 that circulates. Try Lossless Legs website.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Let's try this a different way. The key is to include all of text below with no spaces when you put it in your browser bar. Good luck. There's some nice pictures and some funny comments so folks will enjoy it. Plus the sheer enthusiasm the author has for this show is nice to see.

h t t p s : / / w w w .
thoughtsonthedead.com
/tag/92875/

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by adedhed68

Or is it just not showing on my screen?

Gotta revisit that show

Also thank you for LL tip adh68

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Doing a little run this spring (March) starting in Nashville and ending in Syracuse. Cheap seats 57.00 (balcony) mostly 77.00 for rest of hall except right up front center which are 275.00 plus. vip packages 374.00. Still plenty of tickets available. Strict covid protocol fully vaxed or no entry, negative tests not accepted.
Coming close by but I don't think I'm ready for crowds yet. Bobby hasn't been scheduled here since 14 when he cancelled to clean himself up for the fare the well shows. Might not have another opportunity to see Bobby as time keeps on ticking but... I don't know, if tickets still available closer to show date and things are cooled down a bit with the virus, maybe then will address it again. To all those who will go, enjoy and stay safe.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Happy Almost Christmas

Happy Shortest Day of the Year - it will only get brighter from here

Enjoy some Good Ole GD

Be Well People!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

8 1 73
6 10 73
11 4 77
A pair of shows I have never heard: teluride or telluride 87
8 23 69
4 22 79

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Be safe, PF..

Be sure to keep to the accepted rules of rating shows while road tripping

1 Lightning Bolt: Made the exit, arrived on time.
2 Bolts: Missed the destination exit but snapped out of it before the next one, had to turn around, was 15 minutes late.
3 Bolts: Missed the exit and didn't notice until two exits later, had to turn around, was 45 min late
4 Bolts: Missed the exit and didn't notice until several states later, was very late and everyone is either worried about me or pissed.
5 Bolts: Missed the exit. Where am I, was I driving, it's dark, what language are they speaking, where are I am going anyway, what happened to the music, I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

Brake for Sasquatch. Be kind.

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

this cold December morning"? Man this song has far out cool lyrics; check them out sometime. This song is so much better on the original version of Aoxomoxoa then on the remixed version. The original version of Aoxomoxoa is such a cool record. I think it's time for a cold one, this cold December morning

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

could have been his 81st.
Good old Frank.
Thank you for teaching me.
G.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

I really like the original mix of Aoxomoxoa, too. Especially Mountains of the Moon with that ghostly out of key choir. I guess somebody thought that toning down the psychedelic weirdness might suck in a few of the more 'normal' rock fans who picked up on American Beauty, but, c'mon: psychedelic weirdness was the whole freeking point of Aoxomoxoa.

Same goes for Anthem of the Sun. Why take something that weird and try to make it appeal to the normies? The original mix was perfect AFAIC.

Drifting to earth, remnants of forgotten dreaming ...

Crow - that's how I see-and saw it, too. When I first read about the Dead, it was the psychedelic connection that made me want to hear them, not their proximity to mainstream rock. By chance I managed to get an original mix of Anthem in the 70's, which was the one that turned me on to them-but the copy of Aoxomoxoa I got was the remixed version. Consequently, I always thought that one was a bit overrated . I didn't hear the original version until many years later-what a difference !

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Hope you have a safe and happy holidaze,
And a Festivus for the rest of us!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....trump actually admitted that the vaccine won't kill you. The Hill. Google it.
What a shitshow.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

8 1 73
11 4 77
4 24 72

Excellent

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-40.html