• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    Uncle Tripel throws a wrench into the works

More 12-4-79 filler would really upset the people who were hoping for the rest of 10-24-70.

• uncle_tripel

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
    it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
    1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
    Peace All!
    uncle_tripel

• jonathan918@GD

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

• Sixtus_

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
    Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
    Sixtus

• Gary Farseer

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

• icecrmcnkd

11-01-73% is some good stuff.

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s were around $20 each in the 1990’s, so the early DP’s had to be kept short so people were willing to spend the cash.
    Back in those days I spun DP2 way more than DP1 or DP3 (which are both awesome).

• Sixtus_

Holey $hit, just went back in time on a random spin'O the wheel and got 're-acquainted' with The Fillmore from 6/6/70 and holy cow that jam out of Alligator.
    This is the stuff.

The whole show just smokes Back To The Future Tire Tracks all over it.

Sixtus

P.S. Jimmy in a parallel universe my Forager is hanging right next to my Workingman's Hatchet

• JimInMD

That Dark Star is an all-timer. Is cosmic over used here? If not, it's a cool, especially cosmic Dark Star which reminds me, I can't seem to find my Cosmic Mushroom Foraging Tool. Has anyone seen it? Bet it happens to you folks all the time too.

• proudfoot

I had a very magical experience with that disc years ago at Discovery Park in Seattle. I listened on a CD Walkman.

One of the top 10 GD experiences for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

HendrixFreak was last seen on the television program, "Naked and Afraid: Alone" as a contestant in their 2023 show.

I get the feeling he will hold out at all costs and eek out survival in the brutal Rocky Mountain Wilderness as long as it takes to get the million-dollar purse that goes to the person who lasts the longest alone and naked in the wilderness. The rumors that he was trampled by a rabid moose, then eaten by a cocaine crazed, Phish loving Grizzly Bear are unverified and simply not true.

(Note: Naked and Afraid: Alone is a real show where they let you out in the wilderness naked and alone, if you survive without requiring rescue there is a cash prize. Any resemblance of any contestants to the infamous and storied Hendrix Freak must surely be true because anything you see on TV or read on the internet is fact, TV and the Internet never lie)

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Vguy72

I was there and sure would like to see anything on that. JiminMD is on record for noting our decision to dose a fifth of Wild Turkey for that event as falling into the what could possibly go wrong sector. Medicinal use only. From his description, HendrixFreak, Mr. PC was sitting no more than 40 feet away from us. We arrived Friday early afternoon before things got crazy and set up camp about 75 feet in front of center stage, well inside the sound tent. Did notice that the giant tarp striped stage cover that's shown in the HCS box photos looks to be the same used there later on. Just heard from HendrixFreak, he's in Montana right now but may respond if summoned. Oro, love those insights into The Band, perils of life on stage, if anyone hasn't seen Festival Express, well there you go. And there's no such thing as coincidence, its all synchronicity, as Jim posted while I was writing that.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Hey Dennis, where u at m8. Sent ya an email and also left a message here, no response yet. I know you were having computer problems, hope it's only that just poke ur head in and say hey now.

No one comes round anymore…
No HF, Otis, SKULLTRIP, 4 winds, Thin, Charlie, Simon, DHB, Rougedeadguy, 5 branch, GOGD!, Bolo!, Carlo, ? Strider, Casey Janes, space bro, 80s fan, Jim, oh wait, there he is with a new way back destination!
And whoever else my senile ass forgot?
Wha happen? Place used to be vibrant, now Deadsville, yuck, yuck, get it ; )

Yeah, where’s Dennis, ya slacker! First you lose the job, now us? How’s that stereo coming?

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I'm trying.. now that I am working less, I seem to be busier and in front of my PC much less. I owe a few of you some things which I am trying to catch up on. I've been lurking all the while though. #47 exceeded expectations and the box is well... fabulous as expected, I am half-way through Kezar, so half-way through the first listen to the new remaster.

'73 is such a peculiar year.. like they threw everything they had at the wall each and every show to see what would stick. I get the feeling they all were coming to the table with their own creative inputs and they just kept adding and adding to the mix until the pot overflowed. Some is spot on incredible GOAT stuff and some of their material were valiant efforts that ever so slightly missed the mark (wave that flag, Money Money, etc.). Maybe that's why half the shows were marathon efforts, so if you discarded the near misses there was still two standard concerts worth of mind-blowing music. Jerry was, like everywhere that year, is a single night he was not playing with some band on some instrument?

Well.. as you were. If you find a disheveled, shivering, hungry aging furry hipster in the outback with his hand out speaking gibberish, feed him and give him some beer immediately.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

The one source of influence that doesn't seem as evident in The Dead's music in 1973, for obvious reasons, is the blues/gospel/ soul input. It came back - in a way - in 76 - 77 with covers of Dancing, Samson, Good Lovin'. But they didn't much like blues/gospel/soul by this stage.

I've just remembered - there is the "Nobody's Fault" jam in 73, which is based on the Blind Willie Johnson song from the 1920's.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Gee, thanks, Oro.

Maybe it was all of the hockey talk ;)))

Weezer...saw them at Bumbershoot festival in...2012? 2013? 2011? As I recall, they opened for Hole. (Courtney Love? Back cover of Aoxomoxoa?)

Not very memorable, in my opinion.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

maybe cause it is august, end of summer jaunts...getting kids to school? Hopefully no issues with health etc. Just a guess, I do miss em.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Check PM

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Saw a few stacks of Bell’s Ocktoberfest in the store today.
I bought the last 12 of Oberon at that store.

user picture

Member for

2 years

Enjoying the the new DP and the HCS box. I’ve been revisiting other 73 gems in between: Tom Waits Closing Time, Stevie’s Innervisions, Carole King’s Fantasy, Al Green’s Call Me, and let’s not forget about Rush playing NFA in 1973, searchable on the YT.

Nice Conekid. You should pick some up. It is a short season for Octoberfest, August and September. I picked some up a couple weeks ago and still have some Oberon. Unfortunately no twelve packs of Octoberfest in MN this year.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

32 years ago today, my brother and I were out at Shoreline for a knockout show with the Good old Grateful Dead. We had seats right down in the front. When the Dead did a 1st set Dark Star into Promised Land the place exploded. One of my favorite moments seeing the Grateful Dead.

....Golden Knights and the Seattle Kraken are dropping the puck at the Winter Classic New Years Day at the Mariners T-Mobile Park. Not to be confused with T-Mobile Arena.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

LEGENDARY

If I could keep only ten shows, 12 31 76 would be one of them.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

2/14/68, 2/27 & 28/69. 3/1 & 2/69. 2/13 & 14/70 5/2 & 15/70 , 8/13/75, and that would be 10.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

As we pulled into Mc Arthur Court early that morning, the marquee read , An Evening with the Grateful Dead and LSD. The Dead's equipment guys were unloading a truck underneath the sign and pointing up and laughing at it. Still buzzing from the Portland show, we picked up some beer went out and sat on the baseball field to relax before the show. Although LSD had been removed from the marquee, there sure was allot inside the show. Ken Kesey and some of his Prankster friends had the Thunder Machine up on stage strobe lights were flashing. We got a nice Baby Blue encore for the hitchhike back to the golden state. After the show we went up into the graveyard that was right across the street to watch all the fireworks being set off in the bone yard. Fun times!

....I finally have to ask.
How many times have you seen the Dead.
And the '76 New Years show is my favorite New Years show.
I remember picking it up at Borders. I friggin loved that place.
Are we going to start a list of only ten shows on a deserted island list?? Man. I'll need to sleep on that one.
Pauley '73 would be there.
And, I'm done for now.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Over 100. times. My brother has seen them over 200 times. maybe 300 times. I'm sure there are folks out there who. have seen them allot more times then that

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Tell me what is Happening?

On ebay, 25 minutes left on an original GD stencil box. Only asking $10,000.

Still cool to look at and pics of Jerry with it.

Edit: Looks like there is a picture of a cabinet with the GD stencil at woodstock with a lightning bolt logo sprayed on top. Cool...hat to give them a low ball offer. Hope it finds a good home.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Gary got me to look. It was an empty speaker or PA cabinet from the earliest days of the Dead. He did have a very early photo or two that seemed to verify it's authenticity. I loved the one with Phil standing next to it with his thumb out hitchhiking as if he were heading to a gig with it. The stencil was unique and not an official Dead image like the SYF bolt on later gear. But with zero description and no provenance that $10,000 price was ludicrous. Even a simple description of how he got it ("Yeah man, I found it in a dumpster behind their recording studio") may have added some value and if that chain of possession had direct ties to a person or place that was known to be associated with the Dead it is still an empty cabinet. No speakers or crossover and while cool it might be a few hundreds but likely well under a thousand. If the Antiques Roadshow and American Pickers have taught me anything it's that provenance is everything with items that belonged to famous people. It looks like it could have stories to tell for sure. Thanks Gary.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I'm at about 300.

Missed this one, didn't even know about it. I must be getting old..

ProudFoot.. caught 8/26/88 but missed 8/28. Assuming you were at both, 8/28 was pretty meh also, but it did have an ok China Cat I Know You Rider. I kept hoping Carlos and the boys would play a song or three together.

Shows, I think I'm north of 100.. not exactly sure. A friend recently asked why so many shows? a= BIG FUN, had the time of my life (except for the cops on horseback at the Capitol Centre). I bet you could add up all the ticket costs for all these shows and still come in under what most people spent on a single Taylor Swift show, especially if you had a daughter or two in tow. Which was (is) more fun? And honestly.. I learned a lot and met some very interesting and influential thinkers along the way not to mention the geography, freedom and venues we got to see. If I had it all to do all over again, I wouldn't change a thing except I would have gone to more shows...

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

PF I was at both these shows, both great shows,, 7/13/84 is somewhat of a legend.

Answer: not enough shows! Hindsight being twenty twenty I might of snuck another dozen or so if the situation allowed?

Old Cab/ART? Couldn’t find it Gary? Guessing the logo was the SYF prototype by Bob Thomas with just the bolt in the middle of the Red and Blue circle. Bear wanted some way to easily tell at a distance what cabs etc were theirs at festivals and gigs with multiple bands.
But yeah, 10K, that’s crazy, even if it was confirmed!
We used to build our own using Hard Truckers specs, (11 ply 3/4” Finish birch) still have a double JBL E140 bass cab I use for a sub woofer in the theatre since I don’t play any more : (

EDIT: yeah Dave, A LEGEND!…..(hear sound of foot tapping)

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Stencil was sort of a fleur de lys looking symbol.
Nothing I've ever seen on anything Dead.
Good sized thing, looked like it would have held 2 15" speakers side by side and the slot in the top had a shelf so maybe a giant horn tweeter. No back on it anymore. Looked like the guy was storing his GD curios on that shelf in one pic. Not sure but it may have been on casters which is why I thought PA. The many photos seem to say it is real. They were all very early from the hair, clothes, I'd guess '66-'67. You can't fake that road wear either. Maybe the seller will relist it. I didn't note his seller name but he only had the one item listed. If it could only talk! All the venues it may have been to!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

Yep guessing maybe one of Phil's first cabinets. Speaker openings look to be 10". Like you, if I could grab for maybe $250 I would do it. Watch the Pickers/Antiques Road Shows. Always fascinating the value of "things." Might look good mounted on a wall. I have too many things that are sort of in the works. Like saving for Courtney Tie-die to make me some classic GD tie-dye speaker covers, or a piece of Mouse's artwork valuable to me. Speaking of, there is a Mouse signed Artist proof of "the Jester" poster there for $1,250.

I like the pic of Jerry next to the cabinet or another one similar. I am guessing 1967-68 time frame, maybe? Could it even been earlier. Trying to remember the timeline of red/blue lightning bolt, then that becoming SYF lightning bolt as their equipment (trademark) sign.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

/itm/126055860824

oops meant to send to you pm.

just put in the ebay and com then that uptop. Maybe it works.

Relisted!

Well until they say foul.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Can’t find it? I’m a idiot…

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Got it saved this time. Good thing because my photographic memory is not working well, lol. It was a pot leaf type symbol! Really the photos themselves are probably enough provenance given you can tell it's the same one in the pics. It does not seem to be on castors and the speakers were vertically stacked. The pic taken from backstage is not the same one (not as wide and different number on it?) but it does show how they did stencil over an old logo that was like this pot leaf one with the bolt logo. I'd want to put some speakers back in it! More research would be required. That 36W on it obviously means something. Likely keyed to a map of what goes where on stage. It may sell, but to a more money than sense buyer. Hell, I'm poor and I'd still give a him $300 for it, lol. Thanks again Gary.
Cheers
Edit: Oro, search ebaydotcom then jam Gary's slash itm slash number without the gaps. Seller name johadam580. Looks like he's only sold 3 items ever. From Woodacre, CA

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

check pm.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

7 18 82 was my first show. A major highlight of my life, for sure.

7 13 84 was show #5. A very special event in my life, for sure. I would classify it as legendary, yes.

Old GD equipment for sale, huh? 10K? Mmm....no, thank you.

More GD music releases? Yes, please.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Found it, thanks Gary!
I don’t think it’s the same one, at least not in all the pics.
Most are square looking, the for sale one is rectangle. I bet the 36W was some kind of id, especially if it was a PA speaker. The for sale one looks like double 15 with a port, which would mean it was for Phil, or the PA?
Or, Might be for a horn, which would most likely make it a PA box…
I’ve seen that artwork before, but no clue who to attribute it to?
Pretty cool, and if you had money to burn…I’d still not pay 10K lol

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by nitecat

Nitecat - that's truly impressive. Well, I'm impressed anyway. The most I have seen any one band, by some distance, is Hawkwind, which is probably between 50-60 times. That's over a longer timespan than The Dead were together, though. My first show being in 1973, and my last one still to come in September this year. If they let me in without a mobile phone image of an e-ticket.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

Wow. That's...a lot.

Yesterday I picked up the CD reissue of GD's first LP. It has bonus tracks, including 9 3 67's Viola Lee Blues. If you have this, listen to it soon. It might be on archive daht org, too.

A very pleasant find. $6.70 total.

I love this band.

....it's not a concert. But still cool imo.
Last Five....
Phish - 7.23.23. Syracuse, NY. Current.
Cowboy Junkies - At The End Of Paths Taken
Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls
GOGD - 9.20.83 MSG
Weezer - Weezer (Green album)

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I was asked by my brother in law about availability of something, I've checked around without much success, time to throw out to the dead crew (they know all).

Apparently in the 70's out of Philly on WYSP (94.1) they had a Radio Comedy Hour. Skits were interspersed with the static of tuning a radio station in. Anyone remember such a show,,, have copies of said shows or know where to acquire? There are a couple on youtube, but not a "bunch" of them as he claims there should be.

For your gift for looking I offer Peter Lemongello - Love '76 (Deluxe Version). Yes, the DELUXE VERSION!!!! Anyone around in the late 70's, watching late night tv will know the name!!! He's right up there with Zamfir, Master of the Pan Flute.

Thanks

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

Hey BTK and Proudfoot.... I THOUGHT I saw you both there at the Greek!! That remains perhaps my most memorable GD show moment in the paltry 50-75 times I saw them ... will never forget Phil coming back on stage .... had no idea what, but knew it was time immediately dose up! On a somewhat related note, I see myself in the taper section of the Greek that weekend in footage from the Long Strange Trip movie....

And with regard to 7/18, I was not at that show, unfortunately, but managed to make the 'annual red rocks rain out' about a week later ... another incredibly memorable trip for a variety of reasons.

Been snooping around the New Years shows in 83 ... was at the SF Civic for all 4 (as I'm sure were you BTK).... didn't know that this was the one and only Goodnight Irene !!! Love it! Still have a pretty decent cassette of the Band warming them up!! .................tcc

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Oroborous

A collective tap of the sticks for RJ. He was one of the best and will be missed.

Top shelf.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

TopChinacat, 12/28/83 was one of my favorite Dead shows that I atttended. I think it would make a great official release. There is a video on U Tube of the whole show. 12/30/83 was also a great show.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

For those craving a little more psychedelic in their diet, there is a new release out titled “ March of the Flower Children: The American Sounds of 1967” that includes a great sample of somewhat obscure bands and acts from that era with the far out band names (The Unforscene; The Balloon Farm, etc) interspersed with many of the era’s well known acts, including the Grateful Dead. An interesting lineup.

AJS - I read this morning about RJ passing. He was revered on this side of the lake, too. Sad to hear he passed, one of a kind.

Dennis - Nice to see you up and around.

Thank you for the Zamfir reference. I haven't thought of that cat for a long time.

Zamfir...wow. Him and Slim Whitman.

I recall Johnny Carson doing a Zamfir spoof at some point.

😄😄😄

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

I think that was a song by the Seeds.

I listen to the Seeds from time to time. Many great tracks. Chocolate River is one of them.

90 minutes later...

Yeah. The Seeds. Gooood stuff.

Check out Up In Her Room, if you dare.

Thank you for helping get the Seeds onto my radar again, ThatsMike!

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

One of my favorite distiller's or shiner's phrases. (And yes i ran some sqeezins as a kid, moe l8ter.)

Waiting on the Wake of the Flood - The Angel's Share info to drop. It is on dead.net as a flac. Any CD's of this coming?

on amazon music also

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html