• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    Uncle Tripel throws a wrench into the works

More 12-4-79 filler would really upset the people who were hoping for the rest of 10-24-70.

• uncle_tripel

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
    it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
    1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
    Peace All!
    uncle_tripel

• jonathan918@GD

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

• Sixtus_

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
    Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
    Sixtus

• Gary Farseer

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

• icecrmcnkd

11-01-73% is some good stuff.

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s were around $20 each in the 1990’s, so the early DP’s had to be kept short so people were willing to spend the cash.
    Back in those days I spun DP2 way more than DP1 or DP3 (which are both awesome).

• Sixtus_

Holey $hit, just went back in time on a random spin'O the wheel and got 're-acquainted' with The Fillmore from 6/6/70 and holy cow that jam out of Alligator.
    This is the stuff.

The whole show just smokes Back To The Future Tire Tracks all over it.

Sixtus

P.S. Jimmy in a parallel universe my Forager is hanging right next to my Workingman's Hatchet

• JimInMD

That Dark Star is an all-timer. Is cosmic over used here? If not, it's a cool, especially cosmic Dark Star which reminds me, I can't seem to find my Cosmic Mushroom Foraging Tool. Has anyone seen it? Bet it happens to you folks all the time too.

• proudfoot

I had a very magical experience with that disc years ago at Discovery Park in Seattle. I listened on a CD Walkman.

One of the top 10 GD experiences for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years

Is the the only online purchasing outlet where you pay money for your product, and then have to hope and even beg for your product?

Not receiving my paid-for-product is the norm for most at Dead.net.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

UPS tracking timely and accurate.
But when they turn it over to the Louis Dejoy circus, crickets.
Consistently this year tracking dies when it gets to USPS.
They have been close to on time for the UPS original estimate though.
And they all get here. My 47 is due today so we'll see.
(Edit: Nope, didn't come on UPS estimated date)
Cheers
Brent songs: a few I like, but not the woman hating ones or his contribution to Little Red Rooster. He seemed to just turn angry somewhere along the line. Uncomfortably unpleasant at times.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

So he mentions this comment in the seaside for #47, he also writes in the insert sleeve of #47 that they were determined to make #47 from the "Brent Era"....does that mean that DaP #48 will not be an 1980s show, I sure hope it is from the 1980s!!
This year has had nothing but 1970s shows released including the Box Set/RSD: 6 shows from 1973 including WOTF bonus live material, 3 shows from 1977 between #45 & RSD, 1972 for #46, and now 1979 for #47. I don't think we'll get 1981-1983 because of the great box set last year, but it's time for some 1980s.
What would TPTB consider a "doozy", my guess is a two show as has happened with the November picks twice before....my guess is it's time for that double shot doozy of 1985!

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

1968 or 1970, most likely 1968.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

YES, JGB 5.21.76 Don't Let Go, is my favorite Jerry release. I still remember standing in a Sam Goody (in a mall, 2001ish) and being like "Wha' the wha' is this?" This was when my wife was a stay at home mom and I was BROKE, but I took a chance and threw down the cash, now new copies are $200 on eBay. The liner notes said it was to be the first of three releases from 1976, that never happened I guess. Anyway, get some Don't Let Go in your life today.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

doozy noun
variants or doozie or less commonly doozer
ˈdü-zər
plural doozies also doozers
Synonyms of doozy
: an extraordinary one of its kind
: Examples: 7-18-76, 12-5-71

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

gotta be from 68 or 69 or 70.

11/19/72? PLEEEEEASE.

the guessing game. We gotta wait until...October to find out.

HCS box is a doozy squared or cubed (like paper or sugar cube). Kezar will be heard on an upcoming road trip next week.

God Bless the Grateful Dead

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

For anyone who hasn't heard it: at the end of the Lakeside Chat for Dave's Picks 47, Dave says, "I will see you here in 3 months for the Dave's Picks 48 announcement," and then, "That's a doozy, that's a g... there's a lot to talk about with that one."

I'm just not sure that most of us define 'doozy' the same way Mr. Lemieux does. For me, a 'doozy' would be something that knocks me over - for example, let's suppose that in one of Bear's banana boxes were found the reels from one of the missing shows from the Soto List. For example, 11/22/1970 Edison, NJ. Now THAT would be a doozy.

But that's unlikely. So let's speculate that he's talking about a post-Brent show. Here again, a 'doozy' for me would be a show with some significance. 10/27 or 10/31/91, for example: for the performances, the guests, and the historical significance. (But then perhaps 11/3/91 is even more significant?) Could you go so far as to say the breakout after 20+ years of NSB on 2/19/91 qualifies a show as a doozy? Is 6/20/92 a doozy bc of the first Casey Jones since '84?

My guess: 8/22/93 Autzen. Even though I wouldn't personally call it a doozy, it seems to have a lot of fans. And we know Mr. Lemieux loves that venue...

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Does anybody of you getting shipping information?

All I can see at Dead Net is that I've ordered the subscription by an order number giving me in my PayPal statement. But no order confirmation from Dead Net!

No shipping information, no tracking numbers.

Besides that. The HCS-Box was 70 USD for shipping. Should be qualified for a UPS-fast and secure service but came after long weeks by regular mail, followed by a lot of hassle with the local post- and customs office. Actual shipping costs by regular mail were about only half!

Well, I don't mind paying for a qualified shipping service, but things get mixed up by Dead Net these days. Could it be Dead Net thinks we're addicts?

Cheers
G.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Here in the Netherlands I have not received a shipping mail for Dave's 47 yet. I think this is the first time I haven't received such a mail. Maybe I've just been lucky in the past. The fact that dead.net says that they will send a shipping confirmation when an order ships is pure fantasy as many of us know. Checking the order status is a joke as no useful or relevant information can be found. Without a shipping notice one doesn't have a tracking number.

My HCS box reached Dutch customs pretty quickly but from then until PostNL delivered it to my door was 22 days. Are they all on holiday? Of course the $70 shipping on GD boxes has nothing to do with reality. They know that the box has to be bought from the store so they can charge what they like for shipping. I hate such greedy money grabbers. With the shipping and duties levied by customs the box cost me almost exactly $300.

What will come first? Dave's Picks 47 or Oktoberfest?

Here in the UK I’ve had a shipping notice on 28th July . UPS finally got the package on 1st August. I’m not getting any UPS updates at the moment but it’s presumably moving. Anytime in the next 2 weeks will do for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Disappointed with the quality of the recording of this Pick. It's dominated by vocals and keyboards - the guitars are dull and quiet. Not sure why this show was chosen. Surely there are other equally as good shows from this period but with better recordings. Are we just scraping the bottom of the barrel now?

7-27,28-73
or
12-18-73 with filler from the next night to complete DP1.

Dave’s gotta keep the ‘73 ball rolling so that we’re at full speed for the 50th anniversary of ‘74.

DaP 47
I think that it sounds really good for a cassette master.
I haven’t done any side-by-side comparisons but I think it sounds better than 10-27-79 (my favorite Brent ‘79), which I listened to about 2 weeks ago.
Can’t compare with 12-28-79 (my 2nd favorite Brent ‘79) because I think that is a Betty reel or multitrack.
My 3rd favorite Brent ‘79 is 12-1-79, so yeah Dave, when do we get that show?

Only been through 12-9-79 once but I liked what I heard. I liked the Shakedown.
People been asking for a Shakedown in the DaP series, and they finally got one.

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Don't forget #39 Conekid. I think there is a Shakedown on this release.

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

Still no notification of shipping for 47. Logging in is a waste of time, "order history" does not work, then the search function insists the order # does not exist, despite cut/paste from original email for 23' DP via GDS.
So lame. Last time I subscribe for DP yearly.

Listened to this one all the way through and it really felt like a let down. I just don't understand why this one was picked. I love early Brent era and I'm happy they're dipping into these shows but why this one? There's nothing special about it and the quality of the recording isn't good. The vocals overpower the instruments. I listened to it this once and I'll probably never listen to it again. I don't get it.

I know...

A GREEK SHOW!!!

10 20 68 notwithstanding, there have been zero Greek shows released.

The time is nigh, brethren and sistren!

user picture

Member for

9 months 4 weeks

My first Dave's Picks and it's been great to have in the car this week. Been starting to pick up older ones and a couple Road Trips, as well. Fun to be digging deeper with the Dead for the first time...

Second set in the car soon.

The thing is, I'm not particularly picky.

I sense that I will like it. Time will tell.

"Sorry that you feel that way", FMR. Hopefully another listen will be better.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

1968 very cool, but hopefully 9/19 & 20/70

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

If we don't get a doozy, we can always make do with a floozy.

Welcome!
Don't ever pay too much for the older stuff, be patient. You can probably get copies from someone also.

I absolutely love all the speculation about the next pick...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Give it a listen, it's a keeper.
Happy Friday to all of the good citizens out here in DeadLand.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

got a shipping notice with a tracking number, does not say who has the package, ups? usps? fed ex? where would I go to type in the shipping number? ok, where's my package?

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

it's here, lovely wife says it was here yesterday, where did yesterday go? somehow I missed it.

So looking at the cover, I see a phoenix among all the cardinals, speculations on the meaning of that? Also, not having been to St. Louis since I was a small child, what is the statue of? Is that a bear?
Haven't listened yet but I see 2 that's right Virginia, 2 Space jams. Love it, more space the better.
12-4-79 is the filler, a Stella in there.
Never been a fan of 79, but 1980 hits the spot and this is close to that so I will check it out, I'm sure we shall enjoy it.
Can't say it enough, Happy Birthday Jerry
Happy indictment day too! :)

I just now did a search. Apparently it's a reference to a bear statue at Kiel Opera House in St. Louis. I like how they gave it a GD dancing bear collar.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

My copy arrived yesterday, following the usual shipping notice confusion. Got a shipping notice on July 28, which was after some people here had already received their copies. No tracking information available from USPS for 8 days, then it suddenly just shows up in my box on August 3. Weird, but pretty much what I've come to expect.

Listened to disc one and was mildly disappointed in the audio quality: Vocals very high in the mix, Jerry and Brent very prominent, but Phil and Bob much too low for my taste. Performances in the first set strike me as merely pretty good: they fumble around in Cassidy, Minglewood is pretty low energy, good Candyman. But things perk up considerably on disc 2. Is it just my imagination or is Phil much higher in the mix (thank ye gods) in the second set? Excellent sequence of Shakedown, Samson, and High Time, very nice Saint/Jam. Never been crazy about Brent's tunes, but his singing on High Time and his playing behind Garcia's soloing on this Terrapin are really nice. Hope to get to disc 3 today.

Interesting to read in the liner notes that #47 started with the premise that it would definitely be from the "Brent era." Kind of confirms the notion that Dave feels obligated to represent all eras. And it's long been obvious that he loves unusual set lists, as is the case with 47. Pluses and minuses to all that, but all in all an ethos I'll support. Variety is the spice yadda yadda. I'm not the biggest Brent fan (sure wish he'd played an actual piano instead of that toy Casio or whatever it is he uses here), but I'm enjoying this one.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

44 years ago today I was up in Oakland for another rocking night with the Good old Grateful Dead.. Fun show! After closing down Winter land the Dead would be calling the Oakland Auditorium their new home. The Dead delivered the goods. Fun times!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by JoeyMC

Joey - yes, another good one. A much tougher, r'n'b feel than "Don't Let Go". Although "Imagine" reminded me of Jeff Beck a bit.
For what it' worth, I would imagine the next Dave's, for the sake of symmetry, will be from near the beginning or near the end. Which makes it a 1968 or a 1990's show with Bruce and Vince. Hey - I know nothing.

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

I’m guessing that this is a clever allusion to the St. Louis Cardinals NFL franchise that relocated to the Phoenix metro area several decades ago.

There is a good energy to this show but the recording is a bit flat. Vocals are high in the mix but not much definition to the instruments, which almost sound like they were recorded in mono. This might be attributed to Dan Healy at the board. I am not a big fan of anything beyond ‘77 anyway, so this one is getting a second listen and then I will return to the Spring ‘73 party.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I was listening to Ringo Starr's first solo album last night (covers of 'standards' mostly '30's & '40's) and I was thinking the same thing. When I bought, I was a Beatles collector, so I HAD to have it. But damn if I didn't have a different set of ears on last night. A couple of the tunes are ones that mean MUCH more to me today than ever. So what did I do then?? I played his second solo L.P. (you know, the country & western one). I always had a bit of a soft spot for that one, but the cd that came out in '95 has a couple a fantastic extra tracks, and hearing the Jordanaires on backing vox, well it's truly a trip down memory lane. Going to see my Orioles tonight and tomorrow, so not much music for me until Sunday.
Belated thank you to Jerry, for EVERYTHING!!

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Arrived Tuesday. Opening Soon Cant Wait.

Still havent digested HCS.

But Onward!

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

I'm with ya Proudfoot ... when are we gonna get a multi-year Greek boxed set? Can't see that venue and all the wonderful shows it produced being overlooked forever ... perhaps in July of 2024 for the anniversary of that incredible Friday 13th Dark Star? I will it to be so!!!!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

#5248 via Donkey Express in the Red Rock Southwest. This DaP is a good un no doubt.

Gary - crossing threads, glad you dug the Dead and Co 7/1 show. I keep coming back to it. It was a great/grateful night.

user picture

Member for

1 year 3 months

No shipping notice.
Just showed up in my mailbox.
First time that’s happened.
Ripping it now. Gonna give it a spin after this edible kicks in.
Between Dave’s 46 + bonus disc, the new box set, and this little darling, I’ve got a lot of listening to do.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by BedHead77

…DOAH, stooooopid Dejoy (even Homer don’t like him)

47 was moving along nicely, then didn’t seem to make the handoff from UPS to USPS in Denver.
Was supposed to originally arrive Wednesday the 2nd, then Thursday, then…but tracking had stopped before the handoff, a week ago! Scary, because this is where some folks often seem to lose theirs. Gulp….
So was starting to get worried, when all of a sudden tracking shows it at the PO yesterday, but not ready for delivery, which usually means the passive/aggressive fucks at our PO will sit on it for a day or two, so you have to try and make it in there on a Monday, or they’ll at least wait until literally 5:01, after they close, and then put the slip in the box, requiring a return trip and wait in line with 40 or so other folks all crammed in the 10 X 20’ Covid incubator lobby!
So what a wonderful surprise when just a few hours later tracking showed “delivered”! So awesome to not only get it, but they actually put it in the box so no having to go wait in line etc! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Whooohoo, so ripped it last night with no issues and checked out the 12/4 bonus material along with the stuff from DaP 31. Sounded nice!
So, TOO is working today, so as soon as proper protocol is followed, this place gonna be rocking!!
Hope others get yours soon! Now where did I leave that lighter?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Well Alfred may not ever worry but I was worried too Oro.
I think ours travel the same ridiculously circuitous route through Denver USPS.
Zero tracking after the UPS handoff on all of this year's releases.
Big number 20787/25000 was a couple days late.
Warming up the solid state transistors and capacitors.
Cheers and enjoy

user picture

Member for

7 years

I think this a pretty good show. I was checking out some ticket stubs from back in the day, and remembered 6/5-6/6/93 giants stadium. I don't remember which one, but I remember we were in my 71' Chevelle on the N.J. turnpike sitting in traffic, because an 18 wheeler full of honeybee hives turned over, and the fire department had to hose down the truck. Anyone on here remember that? Traffic was so jammed that we all just turned our cars off , started to mingle around with other heads. I completely forgot about that till yesterday. Once we got to the stadium everyone was talking about it. Talk about getting a buzz. Dave's 47 Shakedown is pretty groovy. Brent's tinkling shines through.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Back at ya.
And muchas gracias Pedro!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by 1stshow70878

....yup. It's still here. My step-daughter and her family caught it again for the third time.
Daves shows delivered but I'm out of town until tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Vguy72

The PO Box Wednesday, but so far behind on music, crazy with floods and storms this summer, only half way into the HCS box. I did check that there was no glue and no scratches on any of the DaP 47 discs.... hmmmmm. K.I.S.S. packaging, what Oro said.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Tired of boring, ordinary television? Don't care what happens on Dynasty? Then check out Dead Head TV! There's plenty of light-hearted fun to be had! Tune in, turn on.

This week new videos on Dead Head TV ( find it at dreamswedreamed dot com):

The Greek Theater, Berkeley, CA August 17-19, 1989 Report
Creating Our Future: a Rex Foundation Beneficiary
Dead Head TV Promo 1990
Dead Head TV Host Open Episode 015 August 1989

So "Hey hey, hey, come right away, come and join the party every day!"

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html