• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    Uncle Tripel throws a wrench into the works

More 12-4-79 filler would really upset the people who were hoping for the rest of 10-24-70.

• uncle_tripel

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
    it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
    1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
    Peace All!
    uncle_tripel

• jonathan918@GD

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

• Sixtus_

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
    Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
    Sixtus

• Gary Farseer

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

• icecrmcnkd

11-01-73% is some good stuff.

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s were around $20 each in the 1990’s, so the early DP’s had to be kept short so people were willing to spend the cash.
    Back in those days I spun DP2 way more than DP1 or DP3 (which are both awesome).

• Sixtus_

Holey $hit, just went back in time on a random spin'O the wheel and got 're-acquainted' with The Fillmore from 6/6/70 and holy cow that jam out of Alligator.
    This is the stuff.

The whole show just smokes Back To The Future Tire Tracks all over it.

Sixtus

P.S. Jimmy in a parallel universe my Forager is hanging right next to my Workingman's Hatchet

• JimInMD

That Dark Star is an all-timer. Is cosmic over used here? If not, it's a cool, especially cosmic Dark Star which reminds me, I can't seem to find my Cosmic Mushroom Foraging Tool. Has anyone seen it? Bet it happens to you folks all the time too.

• proudfoot

I had a very magical experience with that disc years ago at Discovery Park in Seattle. I listened on a CD Walkman.

One of the top 10 GD experiences for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

One of my favorite shirts, which I passed on to my daughter, on the front has several of the bears frolicking in the woods. The caption under it says, "What do you do when you see bears in the woods?"..... The back of the shirt is short & sweet: "Play Dead". I picked that up when I worked at BMG. Great company with a great employee store and super cheap prices for us. Does anyone remember when you could order CD's by mail, and if you did not send a card back, we would send you a CD that you would never buy. And don't forget to add on S&H !!!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Read last night on OSF's FB page that Mr. Cutler had shed this mortal coil. Sad. He road managed the Stones before a multi-year run with the GD. Sam MC'd many a Dead show I attended in the early '70s. The most classic on record is on The Band at Watkins Glen, which is only partly from that show (great live CD though). Sam begins to introduce The Band when, at another mic, Bill Graham overrides him -- and many would say properly so, as Sam had a laconic delivery and intended to be brief -- and delivers a stately introduction instead.

Throw in the classy Tony Bennett and stir. Hard to say whether there are more of them (gone but not forgotten) than us (alive but anonymous). Don't think about it.

Ready for whatever Dave sends our way, but still waiting for 8-12, 8-13 and 8-14-79, first a show at Red Rocks, then two under heavy rain inside the McNichols shed. Cheers, HF

P.S. This coming week will end with two Tedeschi-Trucks Band shows at Red Rocks to commemorate (for me) a multi-day extravaganza at Watkins Glen, 50 years ago when I was a wee lad of 15 but already hooked on live GD shows. Congratulations to myself for surviving this long despite many bad decisions (women, drugs, jobs, you name it).

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

My Garcia Live20 arrived with both CD’s firmly in their holders. The CD’s did not have any scratches and also did not have any glue on them.
The CD’s played great.

Rhino should ask for help from whoever puts out Garcia releases on how to manufacture and distribute live music recordings on CD.

And yes, #20 is great.
I might like the filler the best.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Yes we need that mini-box. Brent killed it on that first night.
And I need the other two to remember what I saw.
I do remember a great Nobody's.
You know I'm in.
Enjoy TTB on the Rocks HF!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

"I was in D.C., and when I got the message I thought of two things..." - Ken Kesey beginning his on-stage eulogy for Bill Graham, 10/31/91

I'd had a weird premonition leading up to the final Dead and Company shows in SF. I had been flipping through Rosie McGee's coffee table book and thinking about the Europe trips. That got me thinking about managers... Jon, Rock, Sam... and others who were gone too soon, like Rex and Sonny. Anyway, I can't explain why, but I decided to look up Sam Cutler's wiki. I'd lost track of him in recent years but I knew he'd survived cancer, and I suddenly wondered if he was still alive and kicking. This would have been late Monday evening - July 10th - so the morning of the 11th in Australia. Nothing amiss on the wiki, though, so I chalked up my strange feeling to the time of year (my family having suffered a big loss ten years ago on the 16th) and went to bed.

On the morning of the first SF show, the 14th, I was on the GD subreddit when I saw the note from his kids that Sam had passed away. I almost dropped my coffee in my lap when I realized that he might well have been breathing his last as I was looking up his wiki. Later that evening, when they began flashing those images up on the screens at the stadium, and I saw Sam's face, I have to admit that I shed some tears.

Thank you for a real good time, Sam. See you again someday...

…yes, on July 11th I lost a dear longtime family friend,Sam Cutler, which I’m still deeply mourning. He truly was the best of the best! hired by the Grateful Dead as their tour manager. He went on to become a co-manager of the band (with Jon McIntire and David Parker) and eventually became their agent and tour manager
Cutler organised the Dead's appearances at a number of events including: the 1970 Festival Express Tour of Canada, The Summer Jam at Watkins Glen and the 1972 European Tour of the Grateful Dead, the musical results of which can be heard on the Dead's triple live album Europe '72’
Through his company, Out of Town Tours, Cutler coordinated the appearances of Grateful Dead, The Band, The Allman Brothers, The New Riders of the Purple Sage, The Sons of Champlin, Mike Bloomfield, Ramblin' Jack Elliott and others.
In 2006, Cutler collaborated with Melbourne (Australia) indie-rock group Black Cab on the track "Valiant" which appeared on the band's 2006 release Jesus East. In the track, Cutler reminisces on his days with the Grateful Dead and preaches advice for the kids of today. Cutler toured around Australia and Asia promoting his book lately. May he rest in peace the giant rock concert in the sky!
Have a great full weekend everyone peace be with you! Don’t forget to keep on smile smile smile! 🙏❤️🌹💀

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

This week released Dead Head TV on DreamsWeDreamed dot com:

Spring Tour 1989 Report part 2
Frost Amphitheater 1989 Report
Irvine Meadows Amphitheater 1989 Report
New Grateful Dead Songs 1989 Report
The Dead News

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Red Rocks 79 was my first RR too. Boy was I disappointed when it was rained out and we had to head indoors to McNichols Arena. Returned to Red Rocks several times, lots of fun times.

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by nitecat

I would have been very grateful if could have seen the Dead st ZredRocks in 1979!!! That’s some primo Dead for this Head!!
9/2/79 is PRIMO!!! 4/16/79 is wicked and 11/6/79 & 11/5/79 is killer Dead even thou Brent’s first show is 4/22/79 at the Spartan Stadium , SanJose, CA

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Obeah

Things like that happen. It's eerie when they do, for certain. I love it.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

'79, the debut of The Tiger IMO the best sounding guitar Jerry owned. It had a very distinctive tone to it.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Fun show, I was lucky to be there. 2/17/79 is the one that should be released, I was lucky to be there also.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

We should also inquire about 2/17/79

Great show, release worthy

Paired with 4 22 79 has been suggested previously

Currently at Winthrop Rhythm & Blues Festival in WA

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

...it must be 8/4/76. My favorite '76 show. Phil sounds spectacular on that youtube video, especially that grooving Scarlet, the massive Help> Slip> Frank> Dancin> Samson sequence. This show may require 4 cds, but that's not been a problem, and may generate some filler (maybe finish 7/16/76 from DaP 18?). That show deserves release.

Anybody excited for the belated Who's Next/Lifehouse Super Deluxe? Not sure why it's 300 bucks, but looks pretty awesome. Will gladly take on any unreleased Keith Moon, John Entwistle, especially in that time period. There's also an outtake of one of my favorite Who songs, Put the Money Down, definitely looking forward to that. One of Daltrey's most powerful vocals, and one of their most underrated songs.

....in 70mm. You should too if you have a theater near you with the capability.
A third of it is in black & white even. Even in todays technology. Imagine that.
Christopher Nolan never fails to deliver the goods.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Dont make claims about being deeply personal family friends with people and then copy and paste entire Wikipedia articles. That's some bad mojo and it makes it feel like it's all a rouse for attention. If im wrong, sorry, but honor the guy with more than empty words and basic Wikipedia info. If ya knew the guy so well give us a personal story, now that would be 😎.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

We've known for years about the lack of honesty & integrity from this person. Years ago, he was dying and could not afford medication hence, the need to sell the extra Dave's Picks he had gotten for free. I'm surprised Marye doesn't block him. I've just been ignoring him for ages.

On a bright note, Dave's 47 should ship this week (you know, the one "our friend" knew about ages ago).
I gotta believe that DEADNET will NOT ship these UPS.

Now back to your regularly scheduled spin through HCS Box!!

P.S./Edit-VGUY- The movie was 10 on a scale of 10.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

at the Disturbed concert at Talking Stick.
Even the "best techs in the business" couldn't make it work.
Outdoors in PHX summer? Not the best plan.
Cheers, and keep it cool.

....they just now got the AC working at work. Had been down since Friday.
And yeah. Who books an outdoor concert in Phoenix during the summer?!?
And would go? Gila monsters?

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

36 years ago today I was up in Oakland to see the Dead & Dylan put on a great show! The Dead played 2 great sets and then the Dead backed Dylan for a great set! Garcia played pedal steel on one song, that alone was worth the price of addmission. Fun times!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

My computer died. Got back up.

Only problem I lost some of my email contacts. I just sent an email to a bunch of you's, but know I was missing some.

If you have my address, send me a test email so I can update my email accounts.

Thanks

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

Check personal message, please

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by direwulf

… I don’t come here on the forum seeking attention. I get enough of that from my all my doctors & wonderful nurses keeping me alive over these past 8 years of my life. It would be in my minds eyes something pretty morbid & pointless pretending to know someone who recently pasted away whom I do concider an old family friend. What would it gain me in the end? Nothen, absolutely Nothen. I don’t come here and ask anyone for anything. I don’t ask people for any Grateful Dead music or products of any kind. It is true I sold very large portions of my dead collection for medical bills. I sold my entire Dicks picks collection,the original releases here to one person/member and we made each other happy & had no issues at all , all 36 picks in mint condition. I’ve sold two complete music only editions of Europe 72 Boxset. One member bought all 22 shows, while several other members bought the second set in sets. Some members bought 6 shows , some bought only one but everything was sold to members of this form without a single issue, not one single person had any negative issues working with me. Everyone was happy. I sold 3 1977 boxsets as well . To 3 different members and had no issues or problems ever. I am a collector of many things, music is by far my largest assets. I have over 3 thousand vinyl LPs, over 2,500 singles/45, between 2-3 hundred 78’s and thousands of CDs. I owned a record store with someone, many years ago in Jersey City , NJ. I suffer from several no cure health issues. I have, MS, a tumor in my brain the size of a golf ball. At one point my brain was so inflamed I lost my eyesight fully in my left eye and my right eye is about 75% due to pressure on my octive nerves. I have cronic asthma, degenerative, bone disease, have two 8” rods in my spine , which made me permanently physically disabled & concidered legally blind more than ten feet away.
My cousin is the bass player of NRPS. I met Sam while working for Dickey betts guitar tec while on tour. Also met him when I was very close friends to Vassar Clements daughter who’s around my age so we would hang out at parties,birthday celebrations & other musical events. My god father is Al Di Meola! My uncle Peter grew up with John Sebastian while living in the lower east side, nyc. Was great friends with Richie Havens and his wonderful wife. My uncle Peter gave Richie his pet Macaw!. My uncles nick name was “ bongo, Pete” because he played the bongos & drums. I also knew Bill Graham , some of my cousins are in the union & worked at the village theater which bill bought & renamed it the Fillmore East. He made many recordings from the sound board by a plethora of bands & musical event’s from the early 60’s into the 70’s. He also filmed some performances as well. All his recordings are stored at one of the best film & music storage facilities on the east coast in Fort Lee , Nj. I shared some recordings to a few members on these forums, one being DaveRocks. When I was rebuilding my dicks picks collection I traded & mailed free records & shipping to England for some CdR copies to get me by while I had the opportunity to rebuild my Complete Dicks pick series over again within a 2-3 year period of selling my music. Collection and to pay for my medical bills. My MS infusions every 6 months cost about $60,000. Thank god a have a foundation that helps me recieve this treatment or I would of been dead years ago. To tell you the truth it’s non of my business what others think of me. I’m only commenting on this subject because your talking about someone who has passed away & it hurts me to believe that people would turn a sad day in history into a sideshow or whatever one wants to call these false accusations against me. Not only did I send Daverock records, unreleased recordings but also personal photos of the people I mentioned in this post. Since I’ve been a member on this forum I’ve been accused by only one person who didn’t like their free gift I sent him. He demanded more and what he wanted to be free was ridiculous. He then started spreading false accusations. And instead of listening to both sides of the story and coming to one’s own conclusions instead some people were spoon fed ice cream to the rats. They ate it! But in the end what matters most is we lost someone very special in our grateful dead community and I wanted to pay my respect. Call me old fashioned but I have very fond memories of this great man and that’s the truth if you like it or not. I’m not mad at anyone nor am I angry, just disappointed in how my posts are read. Totally different perspective from my entions. I’ve learned that there’s some good in the worst of us and some bad in the best of us. Beautiful people aren’t just born they are made from life’s experiences & the choices ones make in their lives. Don’t regret the past nor live in it but learn from it. Making mistakes is the best way of learning something I tell my three children. If there’s anyone living close to Bergen county NJ , pm and I’ll send Hulu my address and can come by a check out my collection. I have nothing to hide. I love everyone here! I enjoy reading everyone’s posts. I hope yuou all enjoy Dave’s picks 47, 1979. I’ll give you a hint #48 rhymes with the pick ;)
Have a grateful week everyone, peace be with you all! Nothen left to do but “Smile Smile Smile!”

Billy - you have seen some great shows over the years - definitely a man in the right place at the right time. I'll tell you what, though...41 years ago today I saw The Stones at Roundhay Park, supported by George Thorogood and The Destroyers. You can get the Stones set on dvd/blu ray or cd now. It's not very satisfying to watch - mainly just close ups of the band, with an over emphasis on Bill Wyman, who had just had hit single at that time, if I remember rightly. But the music is hotter than a jalapeno pepper.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Is it still possible to put a post on the 1973 box page? I have tried to put a few pearls of wisdom on there over the last day, and been blocked every time ,and offered a "hey now etc" explanation highlighted in pink. And yet my post on here was accepted straight away.

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

...and BTK, I caught their following show in SoCal shortly thereafter ... it was damn hot in Anaheim Stadium that day, but alot of fun as it was Mrs. Cat's first show! Until that day, she didn't really "get" the parking lot scene, and was fascinated by it all. We just booted up the video of Shakedown yesterday! Just gotta poke around! ..........tcc

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

So for the delay, dead computer.

Did you order the vinyl copy too. I did and I wondered if they were mailing them out together. I don't have any of the email stuff from that order since I lost a chunk of email. I was planning on waiting for the vinyl to come and see if the cd was in there,,, if not, then bitch. But if others have ordered both AND have already received the cd........

I know some places and some things they let you opt for a single shipment vs everything separate.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Daverock, what a great show, The Stones & George Thuorogood. I saw the Stones play one time in 1994, The Voodoo Lounge Tour. They opened the show with Not Fade Away, Charlie Watts kicked the show off by himself on stage, then the Stones came out and launched into Not Fade Away. They had a place called The Voodoo Lounge for all the Famous people to hang out, apparently Garcia & Weir were both in there. I still have my plastic Voodoo Lounge beer cup. Fun times.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I'm more-or-less off work for the rest of this week (the only benefit of working as support staff for a public school) so one of the things I plan to do today is to give some love to DaP 31. When this one arrived I was juuust back at work for another school year, and things were quite hectic. I had my 15 min commute in which to listen to music uninterrupted, but that was largely it.

Looking at the digipak and its contents, I can't really remember much about this one at all! Oddly, what I do recall is playing the 12/4 filler material a lot, but I'm guessing that's because each song (Estimated, Franklin's) fit well into one leg of my commute. So this is going to be almost like a maiden voyage.

Back in the day '79 was a wasteland for my tape collection. I had 4/22, and I had 11/25 set II. And then David Gans played 10/27/79 II on the GDH, and I recorded that. But otherwise this period of GD history is one of the 'final frontiers' for me. I'm always up for a bit of exploration, though! This is gonna be fun. Cheers all

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Finally listening to Garcialive 20 and what a great release. Kind of a precursor to the groove for JGB from that point through his main band for the 80s and 90s. The two keyboard line-up on this is great in that Melvin Seals lays down his soulful Hammond B3 with the Leslie with Jimmy Warren on the Fender Rhodes and Clavinet.

Run For the Roses is a great wrap up for the main show set, but this version of They Love Each Other as an encore is possibly the funkiest version I've heard. The clavinet give the groove sort of an "Up On Crippled Creek" vibe.

Note to self - I need to explore this Jerry Band era more. I'll file this release under "essential".

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by topchinacat

That Anaheim Shakedown is one of my favorites. You can watch how quickly they move in and out of improvisation. Just an amazing 10 minutes or so of music. Also love that Looks Like Rain. On that dvd set, I think from memory, you can see Jerry flub with no reaction from Bobby, then Bobby flub a little, and then look to Jerry for stern correction but none comes.

Love My Girl...what an incredible post. Have not run across the original poster but will soon, just behind.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

Twice.

December 1981 - New Orleans Super Dome with the Neville Brothers opening.
October 1989 - Birmingham's (AL) Legion Field with Living Color (or is it In Living Color, cant remember).

Both very good shows. 1981 was on the Stones First Final Tour, we know how that turned out. My first dose of the Nevilles, whom I love.

1989, a much better show as it was outside and the sound, the show, the atmosphere, everything exactly perfect. The seemed more energized, maybe not as Crunked Up as compared to N.O. 1981

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Have you ever been guilty of looking at someone your own age and thinking, “Surely I can’t look that old?” You’ll love this one.

My name is Alice Smith and I was sitting in the waiting room for my first appointment with a new dentist. I noticed his DDS diploma, which showed his full name.

Suddenly, I remembered a tall, handsome, dark-haired boy with the same name who had been in my high school class some 40-odd years ago. Could this be the same guy that I had a secret crush on, way back then?

Upon seeing him, however, I quickly discarded any such thought. This balding, gray-haired man with the deeply lined face was way too old to have been my classmate.

After he examined my teeth, I asked him if he had attended Morgan Park High School.

“Yes. Yes, I did. I’m a Mustang,” he beamed with pride.

“When did you graduate?” I asked.

He answered, “In 1959. Why do you ask?”

“You were in my class!” I exclaimed.

He looked at me closely. Then, that ugly, old, bald, wrinkled, fat, gray, decrepit son-of-a-gun asked, “What did you teach?”

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Dennis

Not sure I should, but for a real good cause, since there's a few Phish fans out there... had to pass when a friend offered a ticket for this Friday night at MSG, too far for this Vermont guy. They have just announced two shows, August 25 and 26 at SPAC. Tickets go on sale to the public Saturday July 29, but there is a way for the intrepid to pre-order right now, Phish fans will figure it out. Just 5000 or so seats there undercover, 20,000 on the lawn.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....the Waterwheel Foundation is legit. I donate from time to time.
Pretty awesome move by those nerds from VT.
Btw. Dennis. Rumors swirling that Picture Of Nectar vinyl will be restocked and available next week.
Lawn Boy is up again NOW at Dry Goods.
Never been to SPAC DMCVT, but I hear the lawn is wayyyy too steep and the pavilion blocks the sight lines. No Bueno.
I fell into Phish hard after Garcia passed. No regerts.
Been thinking about getting a low key tattoo on my leg of the Phish bubbles in fact. From the ankle up. That would be cool.

That's my recollection too Vguy, haven't been there in a long time. Only the lower area of the lawn has good views iirc, must set up early. Last show there, Santana back in the 80s, used to live near Rutland, a lot closer to NY. Now 6 hour round trip from home and local hotels already booked because of summer traffic. Perhaps they do something in Burlington after this tour, still a home base for them.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

received a shipping notification yet for this one?

user picture

Member for

11 years 9 months

In reply to by adedhed68

Yes, email received this morning. Tracking number is not a lnk this time, only text.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Well at least we got that going for us.
That and total consciousness on our deathbeds.
No wait, that's Carl Spackler.
Cheers

I hit SPAC for the first time ever on July 7th when Goose rolled through. It was their largest ever crowd and I was thrilled to be a part of that legend-in-making. Was probably one of the best live shows I've seen - ever! Their trajectory is exponential at the moment and it's really really cool to be holding on for that ride and witnessing it in real time, being a part of it all. The fans are so appreciative and vice versa.

SPAC as a venue was really, really cool. HUGE grounds, lots of open spaces so everyone isn't crammed into one back end area between sets, etc. We were under the pavilion and it was pretty amazing - it reminded me of being in an open-air concert hall, the way they have the roof and wall panels designed. We were right off the soundboard, so the seats were perfecto. Agree the lawn is dicey - the best spots are the ones closest but things get a bit diluted the further back you go with previously noted obstructions, etc. But overall, it is probably the coolest venue I've ever attended. Really happy that Phish is doing this - doing the helpful thing - the world needs a lot more of that these days and it's refreshing to see some good guys doing this for others.

Be Well People!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by Sixtus_

When Irene tore through Vermont, Phish did a benefit show at the Champlain Valley Expo near Burlington and raised over a million bucks. There's a major fair scheduled there end of August so they went to SPAC. Video can be seen with Page talking about the current situation, plan for SPAC and Vermont flood damage by going to the "sight" for WCAX, the local CBS affiliate in Burl, search on "surprise Phish shows..."

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Unless you are inside, DO NOT waste your time and money on SPAC. Went both D&C shows, and could only watch on a big screen from the lawn. It was friggin' ridiculous, there were so many people watching on the big screen, outside of the RESTROOMS, that first you had to fight through that crowd, then you had to fight army of dudes waiting to pee afterwards. I'm out! I will say though, we stayed within walking distance, and that part of it was ah-mazing. The park and trees etc was maybe the best I've ever seen surrounding a venue. Also, the town of Saratoga, A+, lots of fun, food, and history.

Another venue whose lawn got destroyed by greed is Meriweather Post. Used to be an excellent lawn venue, now you're lucky to get a glimpse of the band.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html