• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    Uncle Tripel throws a wrench into the works

More 12-4-79 filler would really upset the people who were hoping for the rest of 10-24-70.

• uncle_tripel

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
    it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
    1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
    Peace All!
    uncle_tripel

• jonathan918@GD

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

• Sixtus_

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
    Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
    Sixtus

• Gary Farseer

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

• icecrmcnkd

11-01-73% is some good stuff.

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s were around $20 each in the 1990’s, so the early DP’s had to be kept short so people were willing to spend the cash.
    Back in those days I spun DP2 way more than DP1 or DP3 (which are both awesome).

• Sixtus_

Holey $hit, just went back in time on a random spin'O the wheel and got 're-acquainted' with The Fillmore from 6/6/70 and holy cow that jam out of Alligator.
    This is the stuff.

The whole show just smokes Back To The Future Tire Tracks all over it.

Sixtus

P.S. Jimmy in a parallel universe my Forager is hanging right next to my Workingman's Hatchet

• JimInMD

That Dark Star is an all-timer. Is cosmic over used here? If not, it's a cool, especially cosmic Dark Star which reminds me, I can't seem to find my Cosmic Mushroom Foraging Tool. Has anyone seen it? Bet it happens to you folks all the time too.

• proudfoot

I had a very magical experience with that disc years ago at Discovery Park in Seattle. I listened on a CD Walkman.

One of the top 10 GD experiences for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

back at cha!

Thanks!

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by itsburnsy

Never been there, but in looking at pictures (over many years), it seemed like the design was off. Looks like a hard time seeing from lawn. Makes sense, used to have a small lawn where you can see. Now expanded into bad design. Why not upgrade the shed part of the property so that the whole lawn can see?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

My favorite show in '79 was in Indy on 2/03.........have a poster from the show that I put dibs on at a local headshop........10 years later, Mouse signed it for me at an art show that was touring along with the band. It's a blue/orange day-glo of the back of Terrapin Station, which is his design........tix, as stated on the poster, were $6.50/$7.50 DOS................dem good 'ol days!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by rasta5ziggy

I hear what you guys are saying, and yeah, sight lines could be a challenge. Now, I’ve only been for the Dead 84 & 85, and maybe things are different now, but seeing the dead there/then was amazing! Camping for a couple daze around those grounds etc, sweetness, and one of the best parties we ever went to!
We always went to lower lawn, not too close so we could catch PA, but we could see ok. But it wasn’t much about seeing back then, and man, what a dance party out on that lawn in the pouring rain! You really did have to be there!
No, it’s not the rocks, or the Gorge, or the Frost or Greek, but it will always be one of my favorite venues just because of the setting/place and vibe. And the band went as nuts as we did, and always kicked ass!

Fun Toga story: in 84 we went a day early and they let us park/hang in the main lot area. (We had some fun jams with some dude playing Tull on Flute!) By next morning, overwhelming insanity.
So, after lighting up like NY all night, my Bud (ole BOO469) and I decide we need to rest up a little for the show, and yet another all night high wattage affair. So we grab our sleeping bags and venture into the park itself, find a nice quiet picnic shelter, and proceed to get comfy on the picnic tables.
Well shortly thereafter, park ranger comes round “no camping in the park”!
Well old Boo gives em the “what if we’re not camping” which kinda throws the guy. Boo continues “yeah, what if we’re just having a picnic” Rangers like, picnics ok, no camping, so Boo goes “well what if while we’re having our picnic, we decide we want to lay down for a few minutes and digest our big meal etc” Rangers like, picnics ok, no camping. So of course we adamantly tell him we are most certainly having a picnic in spite of any evidence to the contrary and he goes away, and we both got the most necessary rest needed, on our picnic ; )
The rest is history! Pheeeew, summer 85 baby!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Got my shipping notice at 4:AM today. Left the UPS facility around 5:AM CA time. Says it’ll be here Tuesday, which is my day off! We’ll see…

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Fate made it possible for me to attend Phil Lesh and Friends in 2006 at SPAC.

Glad I went even though the show itself was...kind of...not...amazing.

The venue itself was like people are describing.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

A raise of the glass

Another one bites the dust

Wow

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by proudfoot

That's a great story, Oro! Boo quick on his feet, so to speak, just like ole Neal.

Hard to believe a venue would sell seats on the lawn without a view of the stage but that sounds like corporate America for ya.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Have seen photos and possibly even Dead & Co video, but those don’t show you the bad view lines.

I’ve bought obstructed view seats in the past.

6-22-91 I bought a ticket at the box office the day of the show and the ‘obstructed view’ was obstruction by the soundboard. The tix they were selling at the box office were seats in the tapers section. So we actually scored floor seats, but had to stand in the aisle to the side of the soundboard to see the stage.

Pink Floyd 94 saw them on the floor of the Silverdome. The next day I bought an obstructed view ticket for that night and used my stub from the night before to get on the floor. Went by myself because I had to see them again, and it was the right decision. The show I saw had the same set list as the show on Pulse, set 2 complete DSOTM.

For GD in basketball stadiums I’ve had side/behind stage tix from mail order. Was fine with me, I was inside and those areas were less crowded. There were also speakers pointed in that direction.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....I fear the fear of the cause. Her son committed suicide in '21.
I hope I'm wrong, but my senses say otherwise. Stupid senses.
She was a year older than me.

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

Hell what about the shipping notice for the 8LP here comes sunshine release? This operation is pathetic. Phish and Garcia family provisions know what they are doing this crew is a ridiculous disaster.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

Already up at Amazon. Also announced on the latest GOGD podcast about Watkins Glen. The cd version includes two discs, with two demos at the end of disc one ("Eyes of the World" and "Here Comes Sunshine") and a selection from the surviving reels of the 11/1/73 show in Evanston on disc two (WRS; Morning Dew > Playing in the Band > Uncle John's Band > Playing in the Band; Mississippi Half-Step).

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by onthebussince77

Candace Brightman? :-)

Wake was hidden on the dead site, I would have expected under "Music", "new releases". But nooooo, it's under "special collections".

It was free shipping from them, but the bastards dug deep into the wallet. An exclusive "blue" lp AND a picture disc version!!!! You're killing me!! Double cd collection seems nice. Apparently getting the meat of what's available for 11/1/73,,, my copy of 11/1 doesn't have Weather Report Suite,,, so nice.

PS - I've gotten a notice of shipping for 47,,, i think,,,, they're never really clear on "what's coming". Doubt the glass will come with it!

Also got quick response from Garcia people on whether or not vinyl and cd shipping together for garcialive 20. They made it sound like both are in one box.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by JoeyMC

He's the 5th member of Phish, running the most stunning moving light rig I've ever seen - it is groundbreakingly amazing, totally choreographed with everything that band does.

It's unmatched genius and has enhanced their shows with a True X Factor.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Interesting choice! Sorry HF, no WG…YET
I was hoping for a horn show, and/or think the bonus disc should have more songs off the album, BUT…
That being said, this is a hot set! We hit it this year on POTDWD, and though only the second set is currently available, it was a real doozey! And if only the second is in the vault, well I guess this is as good a way to get it out as any?
BUT…but, perhaps the most interesting factor is that it’s another 50th bonus that’s only one disc…
Guess only the big dogs (AB & WMD) will get full shows?
So, what’s that mean for Mars, especially since there’s a lot of carcasses from 74 to pick at.
And Blues then will only be 3/23/75 instead of 6/17//75, which means 6/17//75 when? Perhaps another 30 trips for 60th anniversary in gulp, just two years!
Yeah, kinda a bummer, silly me, I had been going through and trying to figure out what shows would have made the best bonus picks partly based on most songs off the corresponding album lol. Oh well, it was fun and who knows, maybe we’ll get Gainsville for Go To Heaven ; )

Uncle Sixtus! How’s it? Good to see ya!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

A lot of calls for a Gainesville release, which would be cool. An Anchorage box could be interesting as an Alaska Complete shows release. So many choices.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Take it to the Limit
Was he ever on of the reunion tours?

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

That would be a great mini-box, just like 10/9 & 10/10 82.
My guess for next DaP is 7-18/76, with its hard-to-beat set list.
Ideal 1976 choice would have been 10-15, but no tapes in the vault. One of the 2 best shows of the year, check it out on the Archive.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

1968 Carousel Ballroom.

user picture

Member for

7 years

It was one of my most listened to tape back in the day. 11/6/77 broome was another one listened to at Davco farm in Southborough, Massachusetts keg parties in the 80's. Like anyone cares, but you could see Mt. Wachussett at the top of Davco hill. Sweet.

and raise ya a 9/26/76…

Love 7/18/76! Perhaps my favorite 76. But don’t want it released. Why not you rightly ask?
Because there’s only so many picks left and I already have such a good copy lol

47: starting its journey…I’m starting to get the anticipation “vibe”. Have listened to the shows around it and rehashed DaP 31 last week. Really not bad, just something…? Can’t explain?
Prolly just hung up on what should get released lol
Hell I even hit Bill Ricka last week

48: I’m guessing 9/26/91 or 10/31/91. He’s gotta do 91 sometime.
Though 6/22 could be wildcard…
There’s DATs right, so WTFN?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In yesterday's email.
UPS tracking says it left Fontana, CA at 4AM today.
Says expected Wednesday Aug. 2.
Glad UPS didn't have to strike. I hope they got what they needed.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I got my shipping notice for DaP 47 on 7/26. However I have no estimates as to when it will make its way to me. I am guessing I may get by Saturday of next week at the earliest. However sometimes I get surprised and things get here faster than expected.

I am looking forward to this one and it will be a nice change up from the HCS box. I am not complaining at all about those shows form that box, they are all awesome, but I like the variety. I still think 1979 is a under the radar year especially the early and late fall tours.

As for 48, Dave L said it going to be a really good one (I can't recall his exact words from his riverside chat), but I am curious. I feel like it is going to be a pre-hiatus based on Dave's excitement. Maybe we are getting the 7/28/73 show with the 7/27 soundcheck? I am not sure as we already are getting a healthy dose of 1973 this year. I know we all talk and speculate as to when the rest of the "big" and highly regarded shows will get released and 7/28/73 is certainly one of them. However I know that there is a lot of shows left in that category so it could be anything. I like the 1968 prospects, and of course 1970 has gems that are waiting to get out. Then there are more for 1972, 1973 and 1974. Everyone's opinions differ, but there is no shortage of long desired and overdue to be released shows.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

2/9/73

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

....hey! I know that show!
But another '73 show on top of the box and Wake 50th bonus disc?
It's gotta be 1970. It's gotta be!!

user picture

Member for

2 years 9 months

Really getting tired of Dave's picks shipping BS. Why is it so dam impossible to get these at the very least moving by release date? I have a shipping notice but the dam thing has gone nowhere. Getting old.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

OK - I ordered 2023 Dave's Picks like I do every year. I was emailed a volume 47 ship confirmation but the tracking number I was given isn't found by USPS, UPS or FedEx. What gives? When I try to find more information on Dead.net I am told they are "migrating" their system (for about 5th time in 3 years) and they don't have past order history.

Like previous comments - WEA sucks. As much as I love the GD it might be time to stop ordering products from WEA because they can't do a darn thing right ... for such a big company.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

My favorite 50th anniversary release so far is Aoxomoxoa. I really like that they released the original version and not the remixed version. I never cared for that remixed version, same for Anthem of the Sun, I never liked the remixed version compared to the original mix..

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JoeyMC

My UPS tracking says:
UPS Mail Innovations Expedited

So, mine has been expedited.
Sweet

I think that ‘expedited’ is why it didn’t sit in Fontana for 5 days before beginning to move.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Best album title ever

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

just got updated. It’s in the USPS’ hands and I should have it Monday. Not to jinx it though…

Yes, the original Aoxoxmoxoa is a great album. In the 70's, in England, you could ( or at least I could) only get the remixed version,which is nowhere near as good a sthe original. The remix always sounded de-psychedelicised to me.
The original mix of Anthem is better than the remixed version too - although the remix isn't too bad either in that case.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

....for St. Louis AND the Phish Lawn Boy vinyl.
Phish is streaming their MSG shows audio on LivePhish. $9.99/mo. Worth it.
They also have this NFL style overhead skycam on their video streams at The Garden this tour.
Fancy, fancy.
The OG AOXOMOXOA mix IS better. Agreed.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

I will listen to it tonight then probably rip it tomorrow. It is in good physical condition.

I didn't get one either.
Order status doesn't say it has shipped! Same as in earlier shipments.
Poor service!
G.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 11 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

I wouldn’t worry about the shipping notice yet. I have received a number of Daves picks without one and sometimes the order status still shows that it hasn’t yet shipped after I received it. If another week or two and no CDs, ask for help. It only happened to me once, but there was one DaP that didn’t come after 5 weeks until I asked for help, and then I got it in a day or two.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html