• 1,256 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd
    Uncle Tripel throws a wrench into the works

More 12-4-79 filler would really upset the people who were hoping for the rest of 10-24-70.

• uncle_tripel

1979-12-04? could it be the filler you're looking for?
    it would certainly round out that daP 51 very nicely, right?
    1970-10-24, well, you know Dave won't be that predictable lol or...?
    Peace All!
    uncle_tripel

• jonathan918@GD

The filler on disc 3 from 12/4/79 is stunning! Stella Blue in particular is an all-timer to these ears!

• Sixtus_

I say, well done! Going through a second time with the knowledge of the first pass can only enhance!!
    Thanks for checking in.

Be Well My Friend!
    Sixtus

• Gary Farseer

If you see this, wanted to update you. Last years "Undertaking" turned out to be awesome. Getting ready for the second trip through the Series. Last year, by watching them in quick succession, I really harvested much knowledge on the overall story line.

G

• icecrmcnkd

11-01-73% is some good stuff.

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s were around $20 each in the 1990’s, so the early DP’s had to be kept short so people were willing to spend the cash.
    Back in those days I spun DP2 way more than DP1 or DP3 (which are both awesome).

• Sixtus_

Holey $hit, just went back in time on a random spin'O the wheel and got 're-acquainted' with The Fillmore from 6/6/70 and holy cow that jam out of Alligator.
    This is the stuff.

The whole show just smokes Back To The Future Tire Tracks all over it.

Sixtus

P.S. Jimmy in a parallel universe my Forager is hanging right next to my Workingman's Hatchet

• JimInMD

That Dark Star is an all-timer. Is cosmic over used here? If not, it's a cool, especially cosmic Dark Star which reminds me, I can't seem to find my Cosmic Mushroom Foraging Tool. Has anyone seen it? Bet it happens to you folks all the time too.

• proudfoot

I had a very magical experience with that disc years ago at Discovery Park in Seattle. I listened on a CD Walkman.

One of the top 10 GD experiences for me.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Who's ready to boogie with a little Brent-era Grateful Dead from the Gateway to the West? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 47 features the complete unreleased show from Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, MO, 12/9/79 and you're going to need stamina because this one is high energy from start to finish.

By the time December 1979 rolled around, Brent Mydland had fully cemented his place in the Grateful Dead canon with his twinkling keys, harmonic tenor, and songwriting skills. No more is that evident than at this show boasting 25 songs including soon-to-be classics from GO TO HEAVEN like "Alabama Getaway," "Don't Ease Me In," "Lost Sailor," and the Brent-penned "Easy To Love You." It's also packed with whirling takes on fan-favorites like "Brown-Eyed Women," "Shakedown Street," and "Terrapin Station." And you've never heard a 2nd set quite like this with eight songs before "Drums" including an improvised "Jam" launching from the end of "Saint Of Circumstance." It doesn't stop there though, with a blazing finale of "Bertha>Good Lovin'" and perhaps one of the best versions of "Don't Ease Me In" the band ever did play. We've rounded out Disc Three with an extra nugget from '79.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, this release was recorded by Dan Healy and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering. Grab a copy while you can.

For those interested, there’s an upgraded video on the Tube of the 1981 Rockpalast show with Townsend. Very nice quality.

Mikaela Davis is awesome. I was fortunate enough to catch her with Bob and the Wolf brothers.

user picture

Member for

1 year 3 months

Never been a big fan of the toy piano sound (or of the synth-pop 80s sound in general).
I don’t loathe it like some, but I don’t love it the way others do either.
Despite that, Dave’s 31 quickly became an unexpected repeat play.
This one rides that same vibe nicely.
Great energy all around.
Digging it so far.

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Rockplast show.

I watched a couple of years ago, maybe an upgrade?

Love it, cause they mixed Townsend out of the mix. I am guessing he was constantly interupting/overtaking the show.

Love Townsend and the Who. Guess this was a reslut of the Day on the Green shows?

I read a long time ago, that the dead had to set-up a side stage for themselves; and around 30,000-40,000 showed for the dead and another 20,000 or so showed up for the Who only. Losers...

Can anyone confirm the side stage? BTK, maybe you know???

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Yeah the 7/1 show was excellent.

I really enjoy the band.

Only critique, I wish John had spent some time with Trey Anastasia. I wish John had picked up on a lot of Jerry's effects. I am certain Big Steve could have helped with which pedals to use. And Trey could have shown him how to program and use. Would love to hear Jerry effects particularly in the late 1970's - 1980's. Maybe a touch of Midi.

But wow, the stuff Jerry could do with Tiger.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I heard the above Jesse Winchester song this morning performed by Legion of Mary on the Sirius GD channel, as they are playing a great selection of Jerry’s solo career. I forgot how great this arrangement was, taken from the bonus disc “Absolute Mary” from “Legion of Mary Vol 1”.
Working with Hunter for so many years gave Jerry an innate intuition about great songwriting and about great songs he could make his own, as he transformed the works of so many great writers into something definitively his own. Putting this disc in rotation later, I hope more Legion sees the light of day.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

First listen and I'll say what I usually say when I'm not completely blown away. Good solid set! Not going negative on the mix as some have. Yeah the vocals are a bit higher in the mix but it is very clear and bright. Drums pop and cymbals are accurate which I didn't expect from what I've heard tell is a cassette master (is it?). Going to roll on through but second set may be a distracted listen with lots going on this Sunday morning. Baking a pecan pie (mammoth halves from Joe C. Williams of Troy, AL) to go with a big Sunday dinner tonight.
Cheers

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

There's no side stage.
Seating is between 8.000 and 10.000.
All shows that night took place on the same stage.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Yum. Pecan pie. My grandmother was from the Tidewater area of VA. I remember she was visiting us one Fall, it was my birthday, and I didn't want birthday cake (I was being a little tyrant I guess) so she said she'd bake me a pecan pie. I thought she was joking - I thought pie meant apple or pumpkin or, if you wanted to be fancy, lemon meringue. When this thing was finally served, I think I hate half of it... couldn't stop... so delicious. I don't know anything about Troy, AL, but quality pecans = quality pie. I'm jealous, 1STSHOW70878. Happy bakin'.

Yes indeed, '85 Grateful Dead is now criminally underrepresented. And I always see people wanting more releases with Shakedown. So what about 6/30/85? That one has a Shakedown that gets talked about in the "best ever" conversations. Releasing this show would satisfy a couple of constituencies!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by gratefulgerd

I’ll let you decide…
At least Dave discusses this consideration in the notes.
And note: he did specifically mention this tour and not Oct/November, or Oakland.
So we’ll compare accordingly.
Personally, I thought it was a very nice house, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but evil picky DH still thinks maybe the wrong one comparatively, lol ?
I do think after one try I liked it better than DaP 31, so far…
Personal highlights were Candyman, Shakedown, Hightime, and both those cool space jams. (Not the bonus one but the bonus material was quality).
Oh, Samson, that was a ripper der.
Rest, solid late 79 status quo. (Which is good)
They bif the transition in Cassidy, but no train wreck, sorta yoush mess up.
Lazy Lightning Bob has issues, perhaps a lil miss in an otherwise nice BP. No big Oppsees, ORRR Hell Yeas!…
Overall good show, but I’d rank it middle of the tour pack comparatively. “So mr picky DH, what’s better”? Well, Dave won’t go there, but I will,lol.
Not in any particular ranking:
11/29/79 Cleveland Rocks!
11/30 & 12/1 need I say more? 12/1 set 2, tap, tap, tap…? Hello?
12/11, (12/10 only one I’ve not heard yet?

12/7 is nice, but I might give the nod to 12/9. Guess I haven’t heard the first from 12/4 so that might be interesting, as the second is good, and 12/5 is ok, but not top shelf? All based on my nothing opinion of course ; )
Hey, it’s nice to have quality shows to haggle about!
I think I’m gonna end up hitting this one some, every now and then, from time to time….
Good 73 palette cleanse too. After 2 times through HCS and hitting both Watkins Glen shows yesterday, even the unfortunate Danko stuff lol. Sorry Rick ; ) I’d heard the 27th, but not sure I’ve ever heard all of the 28th. Good shows, but again, comparatively, middle of 73 pack…but I digress. SQUIRREL!!!…Whhhaaa???, sorry…
Oh yeah, Audio, overall excellent (being I believe a cassette?). But of course caveat emptor not perfect…
They are getting good at fixing these cassettes, which is nice!
I’m curious to do some real time comparative analysis, including the end of year, bar setting Oakland shows.
But for now, just stoked to have some new hot dead to savor, regardless of what house it is ; )

EDIT: 6/30/85 Shakedown! Hell Yeah Son I’m here to Testify! Top Shelf Where Mana Hides the Cookies!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

PM addendum.
Thanks again, Cheers

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Now that they are using cassette backups for these releases, maybe we will get a Complete 1980 Warfield Theatre Box set, that would be cool. Assuming the backup tapes didn't get erased

....but just got home from a 7 hour road trip, so I'll check it out tomorrow.
XM played the '78 JGB show from the Warner Theater in D.C. today, which was sweet.
If memory serves me correctly, that was a Pure Jerry release back in the day. Those are going for a pretty penny.
Ok. Time to get high.

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

WINNER
WINNER
WINNER

I listened to set 2 and the bonus material driving to Oregon today, followed by disc 1 of 12 31 76

Yahoo!

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

From what I heard, a lot of these tapes were erased and used for Brent's solo album, which of course never saw the light of day. If so, that would be a huge waste.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Yeah, they erased some of the tapes for his solo album, but maybe they have cassette backups as well. I'm not sure.. They used cassette backups for this latest Dave's Pick #47, so maybe they have the same thing for the Warfield Theatre shows. I'm not sure, It m just wondering.

I always heard the multis were reused but there were supposedly some cassettes…
Think Conekid or someone has posted what’s been returned and I seem to recall there were some cassettes…
Think the 2 acoustic sets they released a couple years ago are from cassette?

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Can anyone direct me to a list(s) of what's in the vault? I know there's a recent Deadcast episode about the vault that features Lemieux, Gans, Rhoney Stanley, and Latvala's widow. But I'm wondering if a list exists, esp if it shows details like if a show has cassette masters etc. Thanks advance if you can help. I've poked around but have come up empty, other than various blogs which discuss specific shows.

As to Pure Jerry at the Warner Theater, yes indeed, that was the 6th release in the series - it dropped back in summer of 2005. That show will always have a special place in my heart. Harder They Come and Mission were the filler tracks on my cassette copy of 12/31/78 Set 3. That was one of the first live GD tapes I ever had, and I don't think it left my Walkman for 3 months straight. To this day I feel like I have every single note and beat of Mission memorized...

I don’t believe there is a circulating comprehensive vault list, but here is the ABCD returns list…

jgmf. blogspot. com/2020/09/the-new-alphabet-abcd-gd. html

Remove the spaces after the dots

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Recent Dead Head TV uploads to dreamswedreamed dot com:

Episode 009 January 1989:
New Year's Shows 1988/89 at the Oakland CA Coliseum Report
Deadhead New Year's 1988/89 Resolutions
Long Beach, CA Arena December 1988 Report
Jerry & Bob Alone and Together - Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles 1988
Deadhead Neighbors and the Kaiser Neighborhood

Episode 010 March 1989:
A Conversation with Dan Healy Part 1 of 3
Great Western Forum, Inglewood, CA February 10-12 Review
The Kaiser Tradition: February 5-7 1989 Report
Henry J. Kaiser Convention Center February 5-7 1989 Review
The Henry Kaiser Band: A Dark Star Performance

Episode 011 April 1988:
"In Concert Against AIDS" Benefit Press Conference March 22, 1989
A Conversation with Dan Healy Part 2 of 3
Benefit for Rock Artist Rights, SF Gift Center, March 22, 1989
Two New Deadhead Profiles

Episode 012 May 1989:
Spring Tour 1989 Report Part 1 - Atlanta to Louisville
A Conversation with Dan Healy Part 3 of 3
Kezar Stadium: Two Historic Grateful Dead Concerts
Dead Base: The Origins of the "Taper's Bible"

Episode 013 June 1989:
Spring Tour 1989 Report Part 2 - Rosemont to Minneapolis
Frost Amphitheater, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA 1989 Report
Irvine Meadows Amphitheater, Irvine, CA 1989 Report
New Grateful Dead Songs Report 1989

Episode 014 July 1989:
"In Concert Against AIDS" at Oakland Stadium, CA May 27, 1989
Shoreline Amphitheater, Mountain View, CA June 1989 Report
Dead Head TV Ice Cream Kids

It's all free. YT adds ads sometimes, not my doing. Please share with like-minded freinds.

nitecat

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

jgmf.blogspot
-dot-
com/2020/09/the-new-alphabet-abcd-gd

Saturday, September 05, 2020
The New Alphabet: ABCD GD
Here is a list of the Betty/Rex Grateful Dead recordings gathered together and returned to the Grateful Dead Vault in November 2016 by the ABCD group.

1979 - 11 REELS

• 02-17-79 Oakland CA, 9 x 7” REELS Nagra 1/2 trk15ips Complete
• 04-22-79 San Jose CA, 2 x 7” REELS Nagra 1/2trk 15ips Reel #7,#8

1980 - 11 REELS

• 09-27-80 SF CA, 2 x 7” REELS Nagra 1/2trk 7.5ips Acoustic
• 10-04-80 SF CA, 2 x 7” REELS Nagra 1/2trk 7.5ips Acoustic
• 10-06-80 SF CA, 2 x 7” REELS Nagra 1/2trk 7.5ips Acoustic
• 10-09-80 SF CA, 2 x 7” REELS Nagra 1/2trk 7.5ips Acoustic
• 10-10-80 SF CA, 1 x 7” REEL Nagra 1/2trk 7.5ips Acoustic
• 10-11-80 SF CA, 1 x 7” REEL Nagra 1/2trk 7.5ips Acoustic
• 10-13-80 SF CA, 1 x 7” REEL Nagra 1/2trk 7.5ips Acoustic

Cassettes

79*
78. 12/31/79 Oakland = 3
79. 0/00/80 Studio = 1
80. 1/24/80 Studio = 1
81. 2/00/80 Studio = 1
82. 9/25/80 Warfield = 1
83. 10/9/80 Warfield = 3 [NOTE *LABELED AS 10-7-80*]
84. 10/13/80 Warfield = 3
85. 10/14/80 Warfield = 4
86. *10/31/80 Radio City = 3 *= - 3 CASSETTES MISSING*
87. 5/6/81 Nassau = 1

That’s a list of what is believed to be returned by ABCD.
I don’t know if ABCD ever released an official list.

I’ve never seen a list of the Vault contents. I doubt that the Vault Masters would ever give that out in its entirety.
I don’t think that OSF will say what all was contained in Bear’s collection either.

....minor flubs but decent.
I will agree that the vox, especially Weir's are very up front, but that's what an EQ is for.
I admittingly have Grateful Dead burnout after my recent trip. I sometimes have too much too fast. It happens to the best of me.
Second set will have to wait a minute.
Been on a Blues Traveler kick since about an hour ago.

user picture

Member for

2 years 6 months

Ill bet they release them together. "New ones coming as the old ones go".

user picture

Member for

3 years 9 months

In reply to by proudfoot

They played at the zoo recently and my daughter was one of the security detail at the front of the stage.

I saw a video that has her on the lower right frame with John Popper and band upper left.

That was very cool to see.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

It's true, they did record over many of the fall 80 MT's for the new Brent Studio Album.

Fear not.. it turns out I just unearthed a banana box in my attic with the missing Fall 80 reels, replaced with the new Brent Album studio album, fully mastered and complete. All they need is artwork, a fancy box glued together with discs stuffed inside while the glue is still oozing and hot.

Meaning, this lost Brent album will finally happen Rhino style. I am fedex'ing tomorrow to Lemieux for immediate release.

Agree with BTK's 79 title and choice.

Am berry, berry behind in my listening.. I just finished ripping the Sunshine Box, DaP47 and the last two Jerry releases.. what I want to know .... where did the time go.

Would love a field trip to the vault.. it would be a good Bolo puzzle prize, wouldn't it?

(no disrespect meant to Brent.. love the guy, if I could go back in time he'd have all the blank 24 track reels he would ever need). I'm partial to the Spartan Stadium show.. one of my early tapes. I got that and Maples Pavilion 2/9/73 the same day. They both hold a special place in my heart and mind.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I’ve been dipping into ‘Everything keeps dissolving’ which is a book about Coil so I’ve re-listened to a couple of their more drone like albums
‘Time Machines’ - Coil
‘Queens of the circulating library’ - Coil

One of the most recent releases on the Another Timbre label is by Morton Feldman, this led me to an old favourite
Morton Feldman’s ‘Violin and String Quartet’ - Apartment House
Morton Feldman’s ‘for Philip Guston’ - Breuer, Engler and Schrammel

Then for something with more lyrics
‘City of gold’ - Molly Tuttle & Golden Highway.

My #47 has apparently cleared customs in the UK so should be on its way soon. Given the mail that is not arriving (credit card bill for this month) I hope it will make it.

Had them on my mind and meant to post for a couple of weeks. Maybe we do need to review the LSD/ESP shows. They are a great live band. Saw them in 1992 at a small college Fraternity House sponsored show. Was around 2,500 folks. And then in 2003, at a large city festival. Both shows were great. Have a tape of the 1992 show, in my still unopened box of old cassettes. Have a great soundboard of the Allman Brothers from March (?) 17th(?) 1970. Haven't heard in ages. Box has been sealed over 20 years. Who knows, maybe I have the fall 1980 masters. I also have an excellent December 30th 1986 board of the Nevilles opening for GD. It is a smoker. Again, sealed up.

As Mick Jagger used to say. I am still walking sideways down the hall, and yesterday gave a double cd called "Let It Rock" credited to the Jerry Garcia Band a spin. It's sparkling music - and Nicky Hopkins plays beautifully throughout. It's got a version of "Edward The Mad Shirt Grinder" on too - which is a plus for Quicksilver fans.
This is a live recording from Keystone Berkeley, 17 and 18th November 1975, should anyone not know.

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Dave’s 47 is an amazing pick. The second set opener pre drums is phenomenal. Funky Shakedown, slamming Samson, pretty High time, etc. I can’t get enough of it. I like it with Dave’s 31 and Dick’s 5 and Road trips V.3#1makes a great playlist for a snapshot of that moment in time. Yea it’s not 1977 or 1973, but the Grateful Dead are a Spectral Band of both time and Space. I like the variety just like JGB. Jerry’s voice was still so wonderful and tender too for this tour.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

I 2nd Daverock's assessment of this release really fun playing and high energy throughout. Super interesting and engaging release and the organ grinder is sick!!! The Let it Rock on there is extra hot and super tasty for me as well. I think it might be long out of print now so if you found one...nice look! Gonna go listen to this one again I think it's been a while.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Last 5:
Medeski Martin and Wood-The Stone
Led Zeppelin-Japan Live '69
Mike Stern-Play
Led Zeppelin II
Shadowfax-Live

Am I the only one here who CAN'T Wait to get something, and then as soon as I play it 2 times, I CAN'T WAIT for the next thing?? I think it may be a sickness.
JGB-Let It Rock--I concur with DAVEROCK & DIREWOLF, it's a mighty fine Live compilation. Many more than 5 stars!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I agree 100% with DaveRock et al on “Let It Rock” - Garcia and Hopkins, although short lived, made some sweet sounds together. Nicky Hopkins is one of those guys like Jim Keltner that played on so many amazing albums as a player, that you could pull a random album from your collection, and there he is. Kinks, Stones, the Who, the Airplane, etc etc. If you can get a copy of his solo LP, “The Tin Man Was A Dreamer”, it is a good listen with a great band, including George (Harrison) O’Hara.
There is a fascinating book on him, too, called “And on piano…”, detailing his incredible career. Gone far too soon.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

In reply to by That Mike

as well. Nicky was a classy and inventive contributor. What's sad is the Garcia Live release of the 12/31/75 show. Nicky is obviously hammered and plays all over everyone else, making the show virtually unlistenable (to me). I believe that marked the end of his tenure with the JGB.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Dave's 44 & 41 have them too.
That's as far back as I went to see if there were any more.
I stand them up on the stereo to see it when I'm playing them.
Doesn't have to be a box to have cool packaging.
Thanks Dave and team.
Cheers
Kemo's on point. That 2nd disc is the bomb of DaP47. And I like the clarity of the sound regardless of the vocal mix.

Miss you man!

I was in Winston- Salem NC. As I walked into a large mall there was a group of hippies out front weeping. I had no idea until I walked into the mall.

Speaking of HIPPIES...turned by AXS tv a week or two back and they are re-running the Monkeys. On the show dated 12/26/1966 they use the term hippies. Did not realize that term was developed prior to March of 1967. Oh well, always need another rabbit hole to go down.

To me as a kid in late 1960's and early 1970's, I never had any idea how much watching the Monkeys would change my life. BTW, we had cable tv in the 1960's. It was the company that eventually became Comcast.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Hippies etymology on wiki was a full page.
Very interesting and divided into categories by era. Goes way back.
Hep, hip, hipster, hep cat all came before and as early as early 1900s.
Some music references from '30s - '40s and lots from rock & roll late '50s.
Even comedian Steve Allen made a claim about using it around 1963.
I vaguely remember politicos like Barry Goldwater using it in a derogatory way.
I'm only 66 but I've been calling myself a card carrying hippy since my teens.
Always considered it a counterculture badge of distinction.
Cheers

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/music/daves-picks/daves-picks-vol.-47-kiel-auditorium-st.-louis-mo-12979/081227834616.html