• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Didn't we flog this horse to death already? FTW tour, I made the Santa Clara shows, had great time. I too thought they should have used John K, he had a bit more time under his belt from Furthur. I too read Billy hated him, blah, blah. I thought about this on the way to work today. Maybe they should have told Bill, fuck you. Bob, Phil and Jeff had a huge chunk of time playing with the guy. Could have left Bill in Hawaii and used Joe Russo. Would Mickey had come along without Bill? Who knows. Also agreed Warren made the Dead sound like Allmans. I like Warren and Trey a lot, both GREAT, but somebody would have been a better fit. John K was a drop in, Kimock might have been great also. Is my flashback over? ....first there is a yellow box, then there's is no yellow box, then there is. ..... well the box in my mailbox is a show from Gainesville, yes it is.....
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Hey Dead and Company (or ANYONE who can pass along), please do a cover of "Ghost Riders in the Sky". Bob this is in YOUR wheelhouse. I always dreamed of hearing the Dead do a great cover of this song with 20,000 deadheads singing out "Yippie yi ooh, Yippie yi yayGhost riders in the sky" That and coming out of an incredible jam with the stanza,,, "Their faces gaunt, their eyes were blurred, their shirts all soaked with sweat He's riding hard to catch that herd, but he ain't caught 'em yet 'Cause they've got to ride forever on that range up in the sky On horses snorting fire, as they ride on hear their cry" Oh to hear that once, I'd be ready for my final reward. So someone out there,,,, get Bob to do it!!!
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Someone commented about FTW and Bill nixing JK and saying Furthur was a tribute band, boy that stuck in my craw, if it was indeed true that bill said that about further, well fuck you bill. Furthur stood on their own and sounded great. Everybody that plays songs from the Dead catalog is not a tribute band, the catalog also stands on it's own. Sorry for rant, but that got me a little, Furthur deserved better talk.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

First it was my original birth certificate. They didn't believe it was real.Real enough to get me in the Army though.Got another one from the state of Virginia and sent it in. Second was my picture ID issued by the state of Wyoming. Again,same ID that got me inducted into the army but now not ok. Next was a litany of bank records,IRS records,VA records,medical bills,etc...ad nausium. I don't have a second picture ID so they will not accept anything else. My DD214 didn't mean shit to 'em. An old friend is flying out tomorrow in my stead. Jim & Sixtus...have big fun for me. :o( Heartbroken for sure...
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

I really enjoyed Furthur, saw them many times over the few years they were together. Now over these past 5 or so years after Furthur ended, I have listened to and attended many of John Kadlecik's various groups/solo performances, and I would say that he definitely has his own vibe/style (that maybe wasn't as noticeable while he was in Furthur}. He has a song style and certain guitar/vocal phrases(patterns,licks?) that I can really only associate with him off the top of my head. JK really isn't a clone of anyone in my opinion, and I personally think a listen to his solo work reveals this, he has atleast a couple albums worth of his own songs/collaborations, many of which are also played live regularly at his shows. He definitely reflects his influences, but also brings something else to the table as well imo.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

that would be great, if the band came and played in England. As Jim said, there is nothing-no recorded medium-that can touch actually seeing the band live. I have criticized their playing in the latter years on here in the past-but I am only talking about recordings. When I saw them in 1981 and 1990, I loved every minute. I'll bet its great seeing Furthur live too. But I am not really interested in hearing live recordings of them. I may be wrong-Ive never actually heard one-but I suspect they don't really stand up to close scrutiny. To me, Jerry was the primary life force of the band. Take him out, and the whole thing is diminished. I wouldn't want to spend time listening to a version of the Dead without Jerry, when I can so easily listen to one with him there.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

That sounds insane. They owe you a massive apology and compensation.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

That does sound insane. I'm really sorry to hear this.. I did not have to supply bank records or IRS documentation when I got my passport.. I would keep trying to get one, so you have it for the next opportunity. I'd gladly write a letter in your behalf, not that it would make a difference. Someone has a bug up their ass and needs to crap.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Email your politicians. Point out that you were in the military and am now being treated unjustly. Unless you were dishonorably discharged.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

When the Dead (w/ Warren Haynes) tour was announced I was ecstatic. Two of my favorite bands merging... Remember how Clapton teamed up with with Duane for "Derek and the Dominoes"? Duane (and later Derek Trucks) pulled a whole different direction out of Clapton and added a new dimension to his legacy. That's what I was expecting from Warren w/ The Dead. I was feverishly seeking out the recordings as the tour started... but the Boston show was just OK, and none of the recordings excited me. Like taking 'shrooms and NOTHING happens.... "Where's the magic?" Huge respect for Warren and Trey, but they simply didn't ring the bell. Then there's Dead & Co, who I think is the most goose-bump inducing music since Jerry passed (except for a version of Unbroken Chain I saw in Boston with Jimmy Herring - it was magic). There's that element of "what song is next?" - it's still an EVENT that unfolds magically, and you can't look away. And if you missed it, it's "What'd they play??!" Mayer absolutely hits the big highs and the spine tingling quieter moments... But I did the same thing with Dead & Co - snatched up a ton of the recordings, but they also leave me flat. It's like taking a picture of a picture - the original is always better. Not a slam on D&C or Mayer - I think Mayer is the best thing to happen to this music in decades (with huge props to JK, about whom I said the same thing until 3 years ago), and likely the best guitarist in the world right now. I am hugely appreciative (and still surprised) that he is directing his incredible talents toward keeping the GD balloon aloft. But ultimately it's still an homage and an interpretation of Jerry's music and presence, and therefore could never rival the original. But that's cool - we can still experience authentic PRIMO live Dead w/ one of the best guitarists in the world (can't wait to watch the 3 Mexico shows this wknd!), AND we all have HUNDREDS of primo GD recordings at our fingertips - the best of both worlds. Enjoy the bus-ride while it lasts.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

All true.. sometimes it doesn't come through to the recordings.. like that enigmatic friend you have where photos don't capture the sparkle.. But the recordings seem to be getting better as is the live sound. I have enjoyed really.. all the reincarnations of the GD. I am just happy they are passing the torch and bringing in new talent. People bring in their own styles and personalities. I think we are being a little harsh on Warren and Trey, but I get it of some think it's a bad fit. More importantly, the music seems to have grown instead of dying out, at least to me.. besides sell-out pop acts, take a look at who is touring year after year and artists who have absorbed at least a little of the GD pixie dust are well represented. Still.. there's nothing like the real thing. Jerry was a magical beast. I get a kick out of all the critical comments, era wars, etc. It's like Zagat ratings on GD shows. When Jerry was on, I mean really on.. I could care less if Liberace was on the keys and Bam Bam Rubble on drums, I was happy to be there and just as happy enjoying it today. Don't take the wrong point from this, they were a complete band, a group mind.. and they all contributed amazingly well.. That's my take anyway, glad someone had the foresight to press the record button, nothing but smiles.. and I look forward to the listening part I carve out for myself each day.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

“But ultimately it's still an homage and an interpretation of JERRY'S music and presence, and therefore could never equal the original. But that's cool - I can still experience authentic, primo live Dead featuring one of the best guitarists in the world (can't wait to watch the 3 mexican shows this wknd!), and thanks to Dave et al we have HUNDREDS of primo GD shows - the best of both worlds. We are very lucky folks. Let's enjoy the bus-ride while it lasts.” Thin- once again someone is able to articulate things better than me. At least I certainly don’t do well with putting thoughts into wiring. But yes I agree with what you said, that the experience of the post-Jerry line-ups is cool when I get to attend the event, but the recording not so much. When I focus on recordings it is going to be of the Grateful Dead. I don’t know about all of you but I can still get blown away from listening to shows for the first time, I even get goosebumps at times. Please everyone keep the recommendations for shows coming, it’s awesome! Yet as far as post Jerry line-ups go, I still am amazed that is now 2018 and we all the opportunity to see the rest of the boys playing, even if they are all not quite playing together as Phil has got his own thing. We do have the best of both worlds right now.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Dennis had mentioned this previous regarding potential comments made towards Further , but the term tribute band or cover band gets thrown around a lot for post Jerry line-ups not just Further. Dennis I agree with you that Fruther was not a tribute band, more so none of the post Jerry line-ups were /are a tribute or cover band. Usually I see people who are angry that remaining members are playing music go right towards this sequence of name calling and complaints: they are only tribute/cover band > they are greedy > Jerry would be rolling in his grave etc... Basically when I see this I have often posed the question: At what point do musicians who are continuing to play their own music (which is their profession), who have played this music for decades prior, become a cover band? I always cite the Allman Brothers as another example as they retained their name, even after they lost their lead guitarist and bass played within a year. They carried on went and did great things. Please I know too that am not diminishing Jerry in any way. There is only one of him, irreplaceable, we all know that. That is why these line-ups are not the Grateful Dead and why they are different- they should be different. I think more than anything is that people are still upset about Jerry being gone as I know I am Yet some take it on out the remaining members. I am not saying that some criticisms aren’t warranted, but playing music isn't one of them. Again to quote Thin: “We are very lucky folks. Let's enjoy the bus-ride while it lasts.” Anyway I am not going to ramble anymore about this, but that tribute/cover band thing does bring a out a little fire in me.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

You wrote: "I certainly don’t do well with putting thoughts into wiring" ;) Can you give an example??? LOL
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Yeah so I am off work today, sick, might have the flu. My coffee is doing its job so while the caffeine is flowing I am going to harness this energy. So no more commenting for me as I need to do some work. However i could use some help from all of you: I could use a few recommendations for shows to listen to today, preferably something under the radar. So not an official release and it has to be on the Archive. Any year or era is cool with me. Any help I can get from all of you would be great. Thanks!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

I’ve generally enjoyed the various incarnations over the years. I’ve seen Phil and Friends several times over the years. My favorite post-dead memory is seeing Phil & Friends in a small place in San Francisco in early 2001 (Maritime Hall). I believe Warren was with him but I could be wrong– it was a blast. My girlfriend (now wife) and I danced all night and Phil, as usual, was candid and warm with the small(ish) crowd. I’ve seen DSO with JK and thought they were great. I also saw him front a band earlier this year (Golden Gate wingmen) with Jeff Chimenti as well. Fun times and I think he brings his own style to the table. I don’t necessarily think of him as a jerry clone. D&C is worth the price of admission. You can tell they like playing with each other and you get a sense that they are pushing each other too. See this band!
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thin see what I mean my wiring is crossed for sure even without the caffeine. No but I meant writing. I do have a gift for coming up with very creative tyops though. Good times for sure!
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Han - Get well. Here's a show I recently got and really like. The Deadhead Taping Compendium says the entire show is great, and I agree. Good aud recording too, below. (sbd decent as well - not too much kick drum). 3/10/81 MSG, featuring a killer Half Step>Franklin's opener, and Scarlet>Fire>Sailor>Saint that delivers the goods. https://archive.org/details/gd81-03-10.glassberg.wise.7630.sbeok.shnf
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

...something smells rotten in Denmark...that seems like an awful lot of documentation required. Not to mention that your service in uniform (as others have noted) should not preclude an easy road to a passport! I'm sorry it fell apart on you. You will be missed, man. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

You will be missed.. So sorry to hear this. Something does smell rotten in Denmark. Speaking of missed.. I do miss Phil in some of these incarnations, but understand he has his own thing going on that is both easier on him and I suspect more fulfilling as his family and home are involved. I agree with 80sfan's shoutout.. I have had quite a few remarkable moments seeing Phil shows.. most recently I broke in a newby in DC and saw a really inspiring Viola Lee Blues > The Other One with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band sitting in (plus Robert Randolph, Nicki Blum, and others.. the Viola Lee was killer.. All I can find is an audience copy on YouTube.. but if you are interested, it gets really interesting and strange starting about six minutes in and the horn accompaniment, to me at least, is striking. All the way through the trombone 'solo' towards the end it really does the song justice. Way to go Phil!
user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Yeah, like Jim mentioned, it's too bad Phil isn't the 25-year-old he was when this all began in 1965. We're lucky the remaining members are still making miracles for us. Another way to look at all the various combinations of former Grateful Dead members, new players, plus all the (more than) tribute bands is as crucibles where the next makers of the music are forged. They’re all turning on younger generations to the Grateful Dead and their music. Some lineups may be more to one’s personal taste than others, but they’re all somehow involved in the “handing off of the “IT” ”. A good example is Phil’s Terrapin Family Band (and PL & Friends, PL Quntet, etc) – ever-evolving permutations out of Terrapin Crossroads that create an opportunity for younger musicians to perform with wide range of other players sitting in. You can find some of their recent Capitol Theatre shows in Port Chester (and others) if you poke around (they’re playing the Cap again on March 14). Phil’s long tour days may be over, but TFB’s shorter runs are a prefect counterpoint to Dead & Company’s magic. Here’s a link to Grahame Lesh’s TFB’s “Songs of John Parry Barlow” at the Brooklyn Bowl last December: https://archive.org/details/songsofbarlow2016-12-14.cmc621xt.sbd.matrix… Check out Ross “F-in’” James’ guitar. The baton is definitely being passed. I was at the Chicago FTWs. It was such a nostalgic happening that it’s hard to think about the music from sterile earphones in 2018. These shows were a city-wide trip, as much about the Tribe as about the what happened on stage. They gave a small, but poignant taste of what it must have been like in the day. Even at the time, many were wondering what might have been possible if they’d been able to meld together over a tour or two (compare Dead & Company’s first tour shortly after FTW with their two 2017 tours.). BTW: Anastasio took his concentrated preparation before FTW seriously: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/trey-anastasio-on-phishs-bo…
user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

FTW backwards is WTF, which reminds me, I forgot to say what a bummer that all the irrational bureaucratic red tape sunk jrf's passport application. What an outrage. Another sign of how cold things are getting. Hang in there man! At least there's still room on the couch. . .
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

What will be the next box set? And when will it be announced?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

Next box…are we thinking it’s probably something from the retuned Betty’s (the theory being that those are being prioritized due to a hypothetical agreement between the two parties)? If so, I’m thinking a June 76 Box! That would be really sweet. I think GSTL was announced in Feb or march right? I would guess with two box sets still available (78 & 89) that we would not hear about a new box until the back half of the year.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Dave has been listening!!! He called me last night and said fuck Gainesville, he releasing every 80's show! All 732 shows will come in one massive box, this will NOT fit on any shelf, but it will become a shelf to hold all other collections!!! The release is so massive that Mail Innovations can not handle it. (do I hear cheers?) Sets will be dropped shipped via specialized trucking firms (I heard tell it will be the "Keep on Truckin" firm,,,, details to be announced) Unbeknownst to all, Jeffrey Norman has been remastering these tapes since 1990 and has finally finished the entire decade. I can't even begin to list the incredible things in this box set, but will try. More China/Riders that one would have thought possible, Scarlet -> Fires enough to blow a mountain top. You don't have to Estimated the number of Prophet's done, we've counted them all! Sure you may be sick of Day Job, but we have them all here!! We have the plinky Fisher Price keyboard sounds fully restored to it's glorious tinneyness! We have fully restored Jerry snoring while standing with guitar on a heroin run. Lets not forget the incredible sound of Bobby's shorts riding up his ass. This collection will include a small book, just slightly large than Infinite Jest. It will include clips from every newspaper in America expounding on the Grateful Dead circus coming to town and the horde of "Deadheads" (as they liked to be called). It will include essays written by people who's opinion is better than yours because we paid them for it. The books will also contain many pictures to act as photographic proof that the Dead really did exist. Now you may ask "how can I get one" and "what will it cost". Both good and valid questions, but first let me say that this will be a limited edition run. Only 50,000 will be issued, after that we will burn every tape in the vault to protect your investment in this once-in-a-lifetime offer. So what would you expect to pay for this, is 15 bucks a show too much? How about 10? Suppose I said you can get this collection for about 4.25 a show!!!! That's right for about 3,000 dollars this piece of history could be yours!!! So check your email and this website every two minutes so not to miss out on this incredible offer, we expect those 50K units to sell out quickly. Don't miss out!! This just in, sorry all 50K are gone, you should have moved faster!
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

It must be very difficult for these various guitarists, to be placed in the position of playing "lead guitar" with members of The Dead. To me, great guitar playing is an extension of the players personality. It is something that can only come with years of playing-somewhere along the line, what you are playing is no longer the music or riffs developed by other people-it still may be that-but it has something else in it to, which is unique to you. Jerry's guitar playing, at least from late 1967 on wards was his own. Even when he played songs by other people, he did it in such a way that added to the original and developed it. Its nothing to do with technical ability-its more about having a feel for the music. In the 1980s, Mick Jagger went on the road with a band featuring Joe Satriani on guitar instead of Keith Richards. Ridiculous. Joe is probably a better guitarist, technically, than Keith, but to play his music was almost like appropriating his personality. I wonder if guitar players like Warren, Trey and John are being placed in the same invidious position as Joe was. Or are they redefining the music so that it is no longer Jerry's, but theirs? Incidentally, Phil brought the Terrapin Family Band to London a few years ago-maybe 2015. Great night out. I was amazed at what they played-Viola Lee Blues, Help-Slipknot-Franklins-terrific stuff.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Ummmmmmm YES PLEASE. I've been going deep into the June 76 stuff over the past two weeks and retreading some of those that I wasn't very familiar with. There is such a laid back, drippy vibe to those shows. Also they hit a lot of my favorites on several nights, with those Eyes' inclusive of many-minute-intros, the St. Stephens, the Let it Grows, the jammy and expansive Scarlet Begonias'... a lot of cool stuff going on. And, i just love Jerry's tone during this part of the year. If it's gonna be June 76, they gotta include 6/11/76! I also LOVED the Help > Slip > Franklin's during this period; extra jammy in the Helps as well as the Slipknots... We can all dream, right? Sixtus
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

For a '76 box the 4-night Chicago Auditorium Theater 6/26-6/29 run would fit nicely on 10 discs. I just got the Rhino "Summer of Love" disc Smiling on a Cloudy Day. It has remastered versions of The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion) Cream Puff War Morning Dew That's It For The Other One -Cryptical Envelopment -Quadlibet For Tender Feet -The Faster We Go, The Rounder We Get -We Leave The Castle Born Cross-Eyed Dark Star (Single Version) St. Stephen China Cat Sunflower Doin' That Rag Cosmic Charlie The sound is great and what makes it really interesting is the Anthem cuts, That's It For The Other One and Born Cross-Eyed, are from Phil's 1971 Anthem remaster which I believe has never been released on cd before. A two-cd set with both versions of Anthem on the first disc and an unreleased show on the second one would make me a very happy man.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

$26 in my handgo to the website, dead.net feel good and trippy there's more Grateful Dead to get
user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Great idea there, Dennis W. Be careful though. When I suggested an almost identical fully Norman-ized box set a short while back, I was branded a "snarky fuck". Maybe it's because I left out Bobby's short-shorts...
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Thanks for clearing that up...I was having deja vu. Is a Winterland 74 box ever gonna happen?
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Oh ****!The Tower Theatre run. I recently bit-torrented/downloaded 6/24/76 SBD because Charlie Miller laid his hands on this one for an audio clean-up/upgrade. I was all of 19 years old and just put together a component stereo system (Pioneer receiver, Fisher 3-way speakers, Philips turntable and a Pioneer cassette deck) and I was living within good radio range of WMMR-FM Philadelphia. It was announced that "The Radio Station" would broadcast the Dead's Thursday night's Tower show. I had already seen the Tuesday (6/22) show and that blew me away, I was on the bus with that one. So anyway I set up my deck to record the broadcast. At the time I didn't know too much about cassette tape, so I used a cheap Audio Magnetics "Low-Noise" Type 1 tape. A good, but not great, recording resulted, plus I used Dolby-B noise reduction, which was good. Many years later, the tape finally gave up the ghost and broke. I think the show was very good but not quite as good as the Tuesday, 6/22 show. Now to download a Miller upgrade of 6/22 soundboard. BTW, I recently found out that United Artist Records bought time on radio stations to promote the Grateful Dead in 1976 via live radio broadcasts. When the Dead signed on with Arista Records, Arista did the same.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Heard tell that since the SpaceX launch and landing was a success Pinkus has contracted them to deliver the '80s Monster Box. Tesla car included free for an additional fee.
user picture

Member for

11 years 11 months

C'mon baby!!! 80's Greek Box, come home to papa!!!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Instead of another '80's box, how about some '80's Dave's Picks? Many of us have been waiting, to verying degree's of patience, since 2012. Fulfil the original advertisement sales point. Put out a Betty Boxilla, for a change.
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

...I would expect a 90's show being released as a Daves pick before the next 80's performance... :(...1968 on the other hand :)
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

For an 80s Dave's, I would love to see 10/19/81 or 4/23/83.Berkeley Greek runs would make such nice boxes that I would be sad to see one show get Dave's-ed. AS for 90s, 12/12/&14/90 would be a very cool mini-box, but I would love another of the Hornsby Dark Star shows as a Dave's. As for post-Hornsby, I would love Normanized soundfields of the Vince-period Beatles tunes. Just my two cents...
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Just so happened to be listening to 4-1-91 in the car yesterday.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

that's one potent video.
user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

I wasn't ready for it.
user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

Freezing cold outside. One Hot looking set list. Betty was still spinning reels at the time....
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....and....As I get older, I've been bedside to too many of these lately. I don't know if I would bust out my camera or face away from the person I'm bereaving. But that's just me. I get the Family aspect, don't get me wrong. That's all I have to say. I'll just sing you love songs, in the letters of your name. I fumble my words at times, but when my time comes, put your phones away. Please. I'm good....
product sku