• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

One bootleg compact disc stands out for me:"Dead In Cornell" (SIRA CD 19 20 21) created by Silver Rarities from Italy. Produced 1994 on three discs. Very good sound, at least in my opinion. I bought it late '94 and one of the few I actually bought and still own. The artwork photos were lifted from the book, Playing In The Band by David Gans & Peter Simon, 1985 and the back tray card photo was taken from the Europe 72 3 LP booklet. It served me well until 16 February 2017 when dead.net announced the release of this show in a limited box set and a short time later a larger run without the hardback book, and the individual 5/8/77 "standalone" set. Headed for the recycling center soon, unless somebody wants it. PM me.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

There is no such thing as the yellow box.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hi All: I just want to mention a few things here just to add my thoughts and such to many of the discussions. So in no particular order here it goes: I have received a few PMs over the past 6 months that I have missed. I mean I have not seen them them until much later after they were sent. My apologies to all for that. The Dave’s Picks series as been by in large awesome. Most of the releases are stellar shows. There have been a few that have not been too impressive, but again everyone has their tastes. I did go ahead and vote for a release of 6/10/73. I hope we get as Dave’s Picks or n another format, box set maybe. Would be pretty cool. A final note on DaP 25: I do feel at it is good, but not great, 1st set is little better in my opinion. However, I am so happy that this was released especially because they have released the previous 3 shows. It's nice to have them all like that. Shows, era and bootlegs- they all have merits and some downsides. I buy most releases and the ones I have missed I have gone back and bought through ebay and such. If I can't get it I either try to download it or I stream on the Archive. Also when someone recommends a show I have never heard , I head right over the Archive and give it a listen. The only stance I have on the whole discussion of years, eras, shows, bootlegs is that if everyone who uses the Archive donates to that site, it would be awesome. I have done so because as we all know there is just about every show that was ever recorded on there. I seems like they all have been uploaded on that site. It is treasure trove of Grateful Dead music among other things. Most important! I value all of you on these pages/comments/boards or whatever this is called. I love the knowledge, experience, and stories. I can do without some the outbreaks of battles that have gone on here. Just remember in the end, we are all crazy and lucky enough to have a passion for this band. Can you imagine what it would be like to have no one else to share this with? It wouldn’t be terrible but it certainly wouldn't be as good. To me that is all that matters. Good times!
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Four plus hours of Pig. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0sexz54FP0&ab_channel=Phrostington 00:00:00 Ain't It Crazy 00:01:43 My Gal 00:05:08 Alice D. Millionaire 00:07:30 Pain In My Heart 00:10:29 The Same Thing 00:21:33 Smokestack Lightning 00:30:16 In The Midnight Hour 00:48:36 Who Cares Rap 00:53:36 Unknown Pigpen Song 00:56:58 Who Do You Love 01:03:05 Come Back Baby 01:09:24 Sick And Tired 01:13:02 Keep Roling By 01:21:00 Broken Heart 01:24:16 I'm Coming Back Home 01:28:46 Good Mornin Lil School Girl 01:44:32 It's a Man's World 01:58:41 Operator 02:02:55 Easy Wind 02:12:16 Big Boss Man 02:17:34 Good Lovin Drums Good Lovin 02:32:53 Buck and a Quarter Rap Good Lovin 02:44:52 It Hurts Me Too 02:55:35 Hard To Handle 03:06:12 I'm A King Bee 03:14:31 Turn On Your Lovelight 03:41:24 Tore Down 03:48:14 Empty Pages 03:53:30 Mr. Charlie 03:57:41 Next Time You See Me 04:02:52 Run Rudolph Run 04:06:27 Good Lovin Caution Who Do You Love Caution Good Lovin 04:35:55 Two Souls in Communion 04:42:42 Chinatown Shuffle
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Thanks for the pointer. I illegally downloaded it off youtube, where it was probably posted illegally, I am such a scum!
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Way to call me out by name under false pretenses, then ignore my entire reply... then you accuse those of us that feel promoting sketchy unauthorized bootlegs on the Dead's official site is inappropriate, as being "law and order conservatives". What a strange way to engage in what has been a fairly civil discussion. Really there's no need for being so defensive bud, no one is saying anything about your personal motives or character. I think I've said about all I want on this topic, so its back to lurking in my cave. But before I go, I refer you back to that interview with Jerry Garcia, he really does address most of what is being discussed in regards to bootlegs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QBJ8pBdpao . skip to around 29minutes in.
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Is very good, in my humble opinion, 4.5 Dead bolts (out of 5). I love the Mississippi Half-Step... opener. This 2nd set St. Stephen brings a good refreshing perma-smile to my face, or so people tell me. However on an odd note, with Truckin' I get an embarrassing arousal. It's that good for me. I wish I was able to make this show, but other priorities came 1st back then. I was only just over a 2 hour drive to the south of Binghamton. From what I have read about this show, you had to be there in attendance to get full effect and great memories, because this audio recording is only one part of the whole experience of this show. The bottom line here: I am glad that this show got an official release. Thank you, Dave & co.
user picture

Member for

15 years

We really have so much great music that the Dead produces very well for us, that we don't need to support Dead bootlegs. Have a great day folk.Guit30
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I had that Silver Rarities cd of Cornell 8th May 1977, too. It was pretty good. Before that, in the 80s, I had a tape of the second set-which was pretty bad. When it was officially released I bought the box set without a second thought. I didn't have a computer when the 1969 Fillmore Box set came out, so I missed it, and got the 3 cd version from Spin in England. But I've got 1st March 1969 on a bootleg, which, again, is better than the tape I used to have. If it came out officially I would buy it immediately, and leave my bootleg in a charity shop. Terrible, what goes on, isn't it? Obviously, as said before, I am not one for downloading, or listening to music online.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

So by your logic, if I'm short on rent one month, It'd be OK to create 100 Dead boxes and peddle them to coffee shops and record stores in Boston - "Summer '73!", making $20 profit on each = $2,000! No problem! Heck, let's make another next month - Boston Tea Party '69! LOL. You presented Jerry's "when we're done with it they can have it" to validate and endorse pirating.... As long as you hold Jerry's words as gospel, from the "Jerry interview" posted below: "I think bootlegging is a burn - I prefer the tape exchanges and that sort of stuff because there's no profit in there. I have no objection to people having access to the music - that part of it doesn't bother me. But the thing of someone profiteering - that's annoying because people are paying money for stuff where someone isn't being cautious about quality... and its a burn, frankly, when someone just takes a cassette recording and puts it on a disc and sells people the disc. I realize people want the performances, but I can't go a long with that. If the bootleggers paid as much attention to quality as we do, I wouldn't have any complaints EXCEPT the fact that they're burning us." I picture you arguing a speeding ticket using the logic of 90's gate-crashers: "But officer, speeding is no big deal! The state is rich and doesn't need my fine $.... F--- you - we'll do what we want!!!" That kind of logic dominated the scene at some 90's shows - it didn't go well.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

Glad yours arrived - still nothing here. Had a few other packages go missing lately, so getting concerned...
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Jerry’s exact words about bootlegging. Thanks for the link Mr. DC.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

bootlegs would not be necessary if the ptb released shows that we want. I have purchased a lot of bootlegs, on cd and vinyl, some good, some not so good, but all new music that at the time I had not heard. Do I still have those boots? Sure, KTS released a slew of them that had excellent sound and great packaging. Those who have never bought a bootleg, probably were not deadheads back in the day when that was the only way to get to hear a show unless you were there. Before that, there weren't even very many tapes made, especially in the 60's and early 70's, they weren't allowed. No taping allowed at the door when you went in, so if you got caught, they confiscated the tape and in some cases, made you leave the show. Now that there is the net, you can get all you want for free if you want it. open up the vault, at the speed that rhino releases shows, we will all be dead before they get to the 90's shows. Is it possible for the vault to be opened? not as long as there is money to be made from it, no. So I bought a bunch of boots, turned a lot of folks on to them, which in turn got them on the bus, which in turn makes the band money, why not? Years ago I used to say, anyway that gets this great music out there for people to hear and experience is a good thing. Ain't no time to hate...barely time to wait. You have to admit, we do a lot of waiting for shows to come our way and some may never be released.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years

Here's my take and I really don't care who agrees with me or not... I'm not trying to fight or point fingers because the reality is that we are entitled to do whatever the hell we want regardless of potential consequence In my opinion these scalpers are far worse than the bootleggers. It's frustrating to hear folks say they invested in extra copies of these limited releases to jack up the price on some third party site. While that ramps up sales here for the good people of rhino/GDM, it sucks for the people who want to hear the tapes in the best quality, which I think is important. I must admit I was one of the first, I believe, to propose selling individual 30 trips shows on this site. I still don't feel great about that but I felt like I was helping those who didn't want to buy the whole set. Furthermore I didn't buy multiple sets, I proposed breaking up a 30 trips so that I could afford the shows that I wanted out of it. That's it right there. It is very clear that for some, buying as many limited releases as they can and re-selling for as much as 5x-10x what they paid has become standard procedure. It's whatever you feel like doing, but that is truly keeping more people from hearing this band how they would want you to hear them. With Bootleggers I feel like they just aren't in the same market space as the folks at Rhino. They don't have a Norman. They don't have the ever-distracted Lemieux drumming up hype. They don't comission artists. The bOotleggers give you music which was intended to be heard by a band that most of us love. Rhino/WMG's product here stands head and shoulders above what is readily available, and they know it. I really don't feel like dusty old boots deter someone from buying a full Norman production upon it's release. Maybe I'm wrong. I just feel like it's better if more people hear the music. I get the limited release model and why it makes sense for business, but I also don't think GDM loses any money when dead fans pay for a boot. Furthermore GDM doesn't lose any money when scalpers scalp. Rhino has a good thing going; constant sell outs with 4 releases a year (Dave's Picks). I forget how fast the 72 trunk sold out but it was like $3 million dollars in pre-sales. They can release the shows that they have in the vault at their leisure for years to come without worrying about cash flow. They can have their cake and eat it too, and I think that's great for most us. It's the fan without the capital, or sometimes just not online at the right time, that ends up holding the short end of the stick. Maybe these two issues aren't related at all, but I feel strongly that when it comes down to it, it really is about the music and the number of people that it touches. I really don't need a lesson in economics, so please spare me the whole spiel about why it makes sense for guys to scalp or the thing about why we shouldn't boot. We ought to do a lot of things to make the world a better place for ourselves and others. Call it slacktivism if you like, but for now do whatever you want, believe that change is still possible, and listen to the Grateful Dead. I just wanted to tell you all how I feel. Thanks for reading
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

You wrote "bootlegs would not be necessary if the ptb released shows we want". In case you or others aren't aware, the ptb have endorsed the public consumption of every show and song that has EVER circulated on archive.org. You can listen to any show right now if ya want. There are apps that you can install that provide easy access in a very handy interface. Very few big acts do that. http://relisten.net/grateful-dead/ Frankly the CD-pirate debate is moot since a) No one buys CDs anymore and 2) it's all free on the 'net anyway....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

Unlike most recent radio boots that are now coming out many of the boots put out in the 90's on labels like KTS were of 80's and 90's shows and we all lnow those are worthless. Sorry just kidding many boots especially by KTS of those 80's and 90's shows were really good quality. My only opinion on sales as opposed to trades is a bit of guilt. I know they didn't like them and anyone of the posters who get downright nasty about ptb and their "rights" know better or their moral compass has a false North reading. The truth was/is it's taking something that ain't yours.
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

If you randomly accuse someone of feeling a certain way, or imply things about that person, one would think you would read and respond to the person when they ask why one thinks theses things. I was accused of "much consternation", "hostility", and "making a big deal" due to one or two posts in which I said promoting bootlegs on this site is inappropriate, I fail to see how that implies either of those. Just because someone doesn't agree with you on one thing or criticizes an action made by a person does not imply an attack on that person specifically, again I feel this has been a civil/friendly discussion for the most part up until you started implying/attributing other ideas/emotions to specific people by name. "Must I reply to every comment?", what a disgusting sentiment to put forward in this context, made stranger by the fact that you specifically engaged me in this discussion. Almost as nasty as these statements you also made: "unauthorized? again, I don't need some official to tell me what is ok and what isn't" and "it's a band dude ... a rich band ... ". If you just came right out in the beginning with those statements than this discussion would've been over before it began, now we all know were your at... "F them, I do what I want". I hope you do watch the interview, maybe you'll stop trying to use an out of context quote to defend something the person your misquoting was actually not down with.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Most of the multitude of live FM performances that have been released in the last couple of years on a variety of labels all come from one source based in Cyprus (not the most law-abiding place in Europe). In Europe, such releases are legal, seemingly because radio stations have the copyright of the shows they aired. The situation would seem to be different in the US. I am not prepared to spend the time to determine what precisely is legal in various countries. There are literally hundreds of such releases, many by the Grateful Dead (of which the yellow box is just one). To waste time and energy debating the legality and the desirability of such releases seems fatuous. They exist, you can buy 'em if you want or you can leave them if you so desire. It is as simple as that. To try and take the moral high ground without fully knowing the facts is to leave yourself open to criticism - which may be just as unfounded.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Alright Dissident I just thought your perspective wass literally as you stated "unauthorized? again, I don't need some official to tell me what is ok and what isn't" and "it's a band dude ... a rich band ... ". I personally get an "I don't care what/how TPTB feel about this" vibe from that, if that's not how you really feel than ok sorry, but those quotes are why I assumed that was your stance. Show me where I made anything more nasty, or attacked/implied/attributed anything to anyone... Things only got a little weird after you made a post with me as your headline, addressing how you thought I felt. I accept your apology, and literally the only thing aggravating was your ignorance and subsequent dismissal of my reply that you yourself provoked from me. I'm sorry if you feel like people are attacking you specifically, though I have stated in every comment/post that that wasn't my personal intent. I know things can be read the wrong way, or taken differently than a person intends and for my own shortcomings in writing I also apologize, literally at no point was I trying to be nasty towards you personally, but I will respond when my name comes up and things are implied/attributed to me, for the most part.
user picture

Member for

12 years 2 months

I don't get the hype of this release. While it has some decent moments there is nothing that blows me away and will make me pull this off the shelf very often. It's an average show at best and with so many other good shows yet to be released I don't know how this made the cut.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

With respect, I feel I must say I still buy loads of cds. And never listen to music on the net.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Yes, that could set a few alarm bells ringing-both the fact that I received my copy last week, and that you have had post go missing in the recent past. They do travel a convoluted route from America to England-I think its via Switzerland or somewhere. With the benefit that we no longer have to pay the extortionate duty costs that we had to pay for the first few years. But still...it should have got to you by now I would have thought.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

In 2002 CD sales accounted for 96% of recorded music sales. By 2017, CDs sales accounted for 15% of recorded music sales. Without the Dave's Picks series/other releases it would probably be about 10% :) I haven't bought any physical CD's at all in at least 10 years (exc. GD). I just buy the songs I want and download onto my phone from wherever I am.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I still buy CDs and I don't stream music. Sometimes I download stuff.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....stream some music and download music too. I buy bootleg cd's every now and then as well. One can't say i don't cover my bases....:)
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

it makes it possible to take my GD et al in the car easily. buying CDs is not a crime, man. there's an "I am Spartacus" in here somewhere
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Non-GD CDs I’ve bought in the past year: Pink Floyd mini-Boxes, Hard Working Americans, Greta Van Fleet, Jimi Hendrix, Roger Waters (new album - pretty weak). Grabbed these out of the discount bin at Best Buy for $5.99: Guess Who Live ‘72, Jimi Hendrix BBC Sessions, Simon and Garfunkel Greatest Hits.
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

Quick search on Thin's 15% assertion looks like his claim is probably accurate. Couldn't find that exact figure (Googled "2017, CDs sales accounted for 15% of recorded music sales", pulled from his post.), but a lot of articles putting the CD sales amount into a sliver of the overall music industry income pie (10-20%).I am 49 and fully committed to CD. The access to the internet in my building here in San Francisco (via phone lines installed decades ago) is not strong enough to allow multi-device streaming. My 4 year old daughter dominates our streaming usage. Besides, I have no interest in buffering breaks and digi-glitches, etc, interfering with my pleasure. Our second child was born yesterday so I won't have much time for music in the near future. My neighborhood music store (Amoeba Records-SF) is constantly reducing the floor space for CDs and is showing many other signs of impending economic doom (reduced hours, renting part of their storage area to another business, and substantial reductions in what they pay sellers for used CDs). By the end of 2018, I think CDs will be sold like LPs are now: high-priced boutique/niche-market products. I may look on 2017 as my last year of pleasant music purchasing. Our asteroid is closing in, my dino-friends....
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

we're approaching 47 years of the 71 Port Chester run!!! and tomorrow is 2/13/70 anniversary!!! let's get some positive energy flowing here again.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

born to be freejust like the fish in the sea I am a lysergiasaurus.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

I haven't bought a CD (other than the dead) for any band since probably the mid-2000's (i think it was White Stripes??). I'm actually somewhat worried that the next car I buy will either not come with a CD player or will charge me extra for including it. I do a ton of listening in the car so that would suck... Regarding bootleg CDs, I can't say that I've ever bought one but I don't begrudge anyone for doing so. There are a million reasons why people choose to buy bootleg, none of which spells the end of the world. Hell, I bought a few bootleg Eagles super bowl championship shirts at the parade in Philly last week. Maybe not an apples to apples comparison, but either way who am I to judge? Live and let live.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

We have 70+ "sign ups" for the 6/10/73 "digital petition" for release. I think this is a great showing for TPTB, so I emailed DL last night. I would keep it going and continue to bolster the numbers, if you haven't already posted a message. If you missed what a lot of us are doing for fun, there was some discussion about how cool it would be if they released 6/10/73. JimInMD joked that we should petition TPTB outside of their headquarters, holding up "Free the Reels" signs. That morphed into an idea where we would all submit a post under the Shows By Year page for June 10th, 1973, with a subject of "Release" and "I'll buy it" (or words to that effect) in the Comments field. With any luck, this show will see the light of the day, and we can get our online group here a shout out on a Seaside Chat. And it was actually for a mini-box of both RFK shows - 6/9 and 6/10. Also - I had asked for ideas on what we should call our group here, in the event that we do get a call out on the Chat from DL. I received about a dozen PMs, and they were all kick-ass names. I couldn't decide, so I literally printed them up, cut them out, and threw them in my Eagles Super Bowl Champion hat, then picked randomly. Thanks to everyone. We are the "Board Heads" (suggestion from Sixtus). I like it - sounds like we're bored Dead Heads, but it really means we're from the Deadnet Message BOARDS. And a big wah-wah-waaaaaah to me for explaining it, but I've had coffee and am feeling obnoxious. Here is the link: http://www.dead.net/show/june-10-1973
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

Random thought - The 2/18 Port Chester Dark Star (rightfully) gets a lot of mention when thinking of this show, but I think that show also happens to feature the absolute best version of Me & Bobby Mcgee. Soulful, heartfelt...actually brings me to tears if in the right mood.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

.....of course we could just storm the vault, make off with the reels and convince Jeffrey Norman to 'assist' in our peaceful revolution.. No.. we wouldn't put Dave out of a job, we will still need his seaside release videos, one every other day. Summer '73 or Bust.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

Free the bots! Get the Ruskis on it! Storm the Rhino ramparts! I grabbed part of this show (set 3) years ago when the archive or somewhere online had it freely downloadable, along with some other choice numbers like 5-8-77, one of the Feb '71 Port Chesters, and Jai Alai Fronton from '74. All really good stuff. Then they shut them down, and my computer with its disc burning utilities died. Always missed the big album covers with big art and copious liner notes, but eventually settled in on CDs. Am still living in the CD zone, as Frosty the digital Dino. Don't much care for the downloads or digital tunes or keep up with that software, and I'm still buying CDs new and used, and finding many bargains online among the gaps in my various collections. Long live the CD....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 6 months

Love em!
product sku