• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....one of the few shows I've heard, where I can recall vividly the first time I heard it. I had been into the Dead for about four months when I went to a buddies house to drop some acid. He busted out this tape and said, "Wait until you get a load of this!" It was an awesome evening. We played it twice. We had perma-grins for six hours....
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Love this! I have this bootleg!
user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

Thanks for continuing to get the wonderful music out to us. This is a truly nice one, and really amazing cover art! Very grateful.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

Speaking of green, Jimbo, we left coasters are familiar with a rare event called the Green Flash. It's a brief moment right at sunset over the ocean (I've seen it in southern Cal, still looking for it on trips to Hawaii) where the sky gives off a brief green flash in the vicinity of the sun location right after the yellow, red, orange,or whatever color is dominating for that particular sunset. It lasts about a second or so, and is known to be rare. So green is good (or, perhaps it's all a hallucination just based on the power of suggestion....). There is even a pretty well known west coast beer called Green Flash out of the San Diego area. And yes, I was the poster you mentioned talking about the '71 string of DS>El Paso>DS, and how I thought I heard Garcia mimicking horse hoofs as El Paso started, and a hint of Me and My Uncle teased near the end of the second DS that would have made it the ultimate Texas DS (it was in Austin, after all). Oh, one other green spectacular. Was on a month long canoe trip across the Churchill river system in northern Saskatchewan years ago one August. The northern lights hit with a fury. The green streaks dancing and flying across the sky were unbelievable. A few flecks of yellow and pink too, but mostly electric green. We laid back on the granite rocks on the lakeshore and just looked up to the sky while the show went on for over an hour. We had no substances to enhance it, and didn't need any. Still one of the highlights of my very extensive outdoors experiences. Doesn't take much to get me off on a tangent, hee hee. Maybe they need to put out a disc called Greenfolded.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

11/1/79 Scarlet>Fire before the last verse, Jerry strums a crescendo whum! then the second chord of FOTM whum! Phil plays a note of pure universal awesomeness in response. Hearing that in the car just now, I said out loud, "right on, Phil." :)))
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

seeing that green flash at sundown. seeing the aurora borealis in full swing. Rome. The pyramids at Gizah.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Dear John, Thank you for the deepest source of inspiration I've ever known. May you rest in peace, my dear friend. All my Love. May the four winds blow you safely home. When will I stop crying?
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

10/2710/28 10/31 11/1 11/2 11/5 11/6 11/8 or 9, whichever has the Morning Dew A very special run of shows
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....listening to that right now. The Terrapin->Playin' is top notch. The Jackaroe has an interesting intro too....
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

check your PM
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Watched women on skis with rifles(biathalon?) Awesome :o) Didn't mean to be rude. I really didn't know.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Got it. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. ...followed by more whiskey. One of life's harder lessons, never mess with women on ski's shooting guns. Trust me on this.
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

I see that Dead & Company is putting out the three Mexico shows on Mps with live video. Since I cannot download these shows, it's a long story, I would appreciate it if someone could let me know where I might find them when the shows are over. If the shows were available on cd I would purchase them. Thanks for your insight(s) and help. Mr. Pete----------> aging hippie
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

There is definitely no such thing as a 1971 yellow box.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Its very old news now, but I finally got this last week. One of the things about getting these releases after nearly everybody else, is that I tend to read and hear a lot about them before I actually hear the music. I also looked in the Taping Compendium, and my Deadbase-X-to see how it had been rated historically. Very highly-my Deadbase lists it as the 4th best show of 1977. Unfortunately, I can't really see why. Its strange that the longest song played all night is the first one-Mississippi Half Step. I think the first set is okay, but the second set up to Truckin' is quite weak. As a show, for me, I am afraid it doesn't really work. The best shows, I find, are the ones that start well...and get better! Increasing in intensity, depth and power-going to the farthest reaches-and then coming back again. When the first set is stronger than the second, there is less of a sense of having been on a journey. Great sound, though.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I agree, with Dissident, a great box. Every show is worth hearing, especially 11/7/71 Harding Theater.
user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Morning rockers!!!! I thought I smelled some comments about 1971. Serves me right for sniffing around............ That previously mentioned 1971 FM box set is a well known bootleg artifact that is completely legal in Europe. Less so here in the US of A. If you buy it, keep in mind that the Dead don't see a penny of that, it all goes to the bootleggers........... If anybody out there is interested in those shows, I will send them to you for FREE. Yes, FREE. Free exchange of music, wrap yer Sunday morning mind around that concept........... Miss me yet? LMAO!!!! Back to lurker mode................ Rock on, Doc Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

There is no such thing as the yellow box.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Why would you pay for something that you can get for free?Free from Doc (as long as it’s in the range of 71-71) and free from the magical torrents (all years). The Dead also don’t get a penny if Doc gives it to you, but Doc gets the satisfaction of spreading the gospel of 71.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

One is basically paying bootleggers for cardboard with grateful dead related images and notes when it comes to that 1971 yellow FM boxset. One can even read/print out all the liner notes and see high quality scans of all its contents on discogs, so there isn't even that incentive either. This is my opinion of course, I mean no offense.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Yo rockers!!! Before this turns into a painful and public flame war, let me say this about that........ But first, a disclaimer. Have I ever bought a bootleg Dead product? You bet. Back in 1979, I bought about 4 or 5 bootleg Dead albums. However, once I discovered free trading networks, that ended.... As somebody said, it IS about the music. And when I share, I don't "package" it. I send just the music, people can decide for themselves whether it has merit or not. That applies to 1971 or any other year. For those who care, here's the logic: In doing what I do, the Dead aren't losing any money----but that's not the point. The point is, I don't profit from the creative act of the artist. Bootleggers do. If people don't see that difference, well................ And just for the record, and this is just one man's opinion, in this forum you don't do a "public service" by promoting bootleggers............... Anybody who wishes to continue the debate, that's why pm was invented........... Doc
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I don’t read the liner notes (can’t, the type is too small and often printed with a color that blends with the background) and only look at the artwork when first received. Then I make a CD-R copy to listen to and put the original in storage. I have over 4TB of torrent FLAC but still buy every release because they usually sound better and often include missing pieces (1-22-78). So buying official releases makes sense. Bootleggers just get the same torrents I already have and package them up. This was all previously discussed on another thread when that 71 box was announced.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Whoa, WHOA dissident... Easy on Doc. Why does everyone pounce all over each other with daggers at the drop of a hat? If anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt, it's Doc. Doc's not a hypocrite and he's not scolding anyone for buying bootleg shows - he's just pointing out that they are technically illegal, and the Dead sees no profit from the scum who flood the market with product that they have no quality-control over and see no profit from. I think Doc is more likely "sticking it to the leeches" by offering for free a show the leeches are trying to sell you for $40. I bought some bootleg shows on CD back in the day just because it was my ONLY way in, before I got hip to trading. I wasn't proud to support the leeches, but I HAD HAD HAD to hear 4/28/71, or 5/8/77, at the time, so I bought it. Doc is sharing shows, just as ALL of us share shows, right? There is nothing wrong with that - it's what we've all done for decades, right? Am I missing something here? The sales of Dave's Picks are going UP despite the incredible ease of streaming, downloading and file-sharing. Trading and sharing shows INCREASES interest in the commercial product. The model works.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I too have the yellow 1971 box, I got mine really cheap, like $30. The sound is up and down, kind of middling like other radio broadcast releases. The point is having the shows that haven't been officially released. There is no moral or ethical quandary here about buying bootlegs. I'll buy a T-shirt in a parking lot. The band are all millionaires - and they get plenty of my money also. The official releases sound the best of anything out there - by far. Even the premier taper's shows are lacking in fidelity by comparison. I'll listen to some of those shows maybe one time for the experience but then have to run and blast out a Normanized-show to cleanse my ears. Even the 30 Days of Dead downloads here every November sound like crap. The quality of a cd or even an Apple download blows those away, sound-wise.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I didn't see the words scum and leeches in Doc's comments. This subject has come up before, I took his reach out to be more an act of hey.. I will send anyone this for free if you like, no questions asked. The harsh comments were not directed towards dissident, just another persons view of the organization that put together that box set. Certainly not towards anyone here. I really take this whole conversation as just more clarity on what that box set is. Is that fair to say, I did not read any of these comments as personal barbs or jabs. I personally do not hold any ill will for someone buying this box and expressing hype that he/she likes it. But I do see some value is a poster here saying, hey.. that's great, but I would gladly send anyone else interested the same thing for free, sans packaging and cut the middleman out of the loop.
user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Check out the Nugs.net site. They appear to have all the Dead & Co shows available on physical CD, in addition to a multitude of download formats. I've bought a few shows on CD from them over the years (other bands, not D&C) and they're excellent quality SBDs. Sometimes I get the CD as a souvenir of sorts when it was a particularly mind melting show. Usually shows are available on that site within a day or two after the performance. Let me know if you have any other questions or if you're not seeing what I'm seeing.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

..is that people can get ripped off. The purchaser, if he thinks he or she is buying something which is official and has a correspondingly great sound. The artist, if someone is buying the bootleg INSTEAD of the official product. In the case of this 1971 box set, neither circumstance-at least not for people on this website, I would think-applies. I have bought virtually every official Dead release since 1975-for all the years from 1966-1995. I've got 100s of 'em. I have also bought bootlegs and traded tapes. I tend not to listen to downloads as my computer isn't linked up to any speakers of note. If I want to buy a bootleg, it isn't instead of buying the official releases, its as well as. If I want to do that, rather than listen to a download-why is it anybody else's business? I could see nothing wrong with dissident recommending the box-if anyone doesn't like it-they don't need to buy it. No need to criticize.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

2 CD set from the early and late shows on 2/11/69 at the Fillmore East. Wonderful Good Ole Grateful Dead with PigPen in fine form! TRACKLIST Disc 1 1 Good Morning Little School Girl 2 Cryptical Envelopment 3 The Other One 4 Cryptical Envelopment 5 Doin' That Rag 6 I'm A King Bee 7 Turn On Your Lovelight 8 Hey Jude Disc 2 1 Introduction 2 Dupree's Diamond Blues 3 Mountains Of The Moon 4 Dark Star 5 St. Stephen 6 The Eleven 7 Drums 8 Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) 9 Feedback 10 We Bid You Goodnight http://www.dead.net/store/1960s/grateful-dead-fillmore-east-2-11-69-cd
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Dead of the Day: February 11, 1970 Fillmore East New York, New York With quite a few shows to choose from, it was still relatively easy to pick February 11, 1970 as the Dead of the Day. Topping a bill with Love and the Allman Brothers, the Dead played two shows that night, but it was more like a quick first set and a monster of a second half. The first show opens with a short, sensational, Other One>Cryptical. In the second show they again bust out of the gate with flames, going with a phenomenal Not Fade Away. The show continues strong and purposeful, eventually meandering to a Dark Star that is chopped up on the recording but begins the true magic of the evening as the guys from the Allmans, Fleetwood Mac, and Love start joining in. The Dead drive them forward into a scintillating Spanish Jam that cascades into a – superlatives won’t do it justice – Lovelight. By the time it is over, at least Peter Green, Mick Fleetwood, Danny Kirwan, Duane and Gregg Allman, Butch Trucks, and Berry Oakley are on stage trading licks with the Dead. Somehow, after that incredible jam session, the Dead manage to put the perfect cap on the evening with a soulful, acoustic Uncle John’s. It seems that the night was as special for the Dead as the music makes it sound. Phil dedicates a few pages of his autobiography, Searching for the Sound, to breaking down the evening and, especially, the epic end to the second show. It is a wonderful read as Phil describes the action practically lick by lick, adding that by the middle of the Lovelight his “mind starts to stretch out of shape” as “everyone on stage is flat-out wailing.” But perhaps the best part of Lesh’s telling is what happens afterwards. Walking out the loading dock door, “it’s daylight, and snow is falling gently on the streets of New York….We stand there, our breath steaming, and look east down the crosstown side street. A distended orange sun is rising between the buildings, casting lurid shadows on the fresh snow. I grab Bob and Jerry in a group embrace: This is what it’s all about.” Anything else I could say about this special night would just be superfluous. Instead, just sit back and give it a listen. http://www.gratefuldeadoftheday.com/02-11-1970
user picture

Member for

13 years

It is unusual to have a first set (and song!) that blows the pants off the rest of the show. Struggles arise during the second set and they are never quite vanquished. That's how it goes with these guys of course. Patience is not optional -- it is only rewarded if you keep listening. Pop in another show. What else are you gonna do with your rainy Sunday? I don't like feeding the bootleg monster, but I sometimes cave if there is something extraordinary. (There's a discoverable 2-CD set of a Pacific High Studio recording of Garcia, Kahn, and Kreutzmann from '72 that got me, for example.) Some folks don't have easy ways to play or convert FLAC files and maybe they don't like MP3s, so that could be a motivation for them. Like others have said, I believe the underground market creates interest in the legit releases just like it always did with tape trading. I know -- those were typically traded and not sold, but there was still an exchange of goods.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

The point is that one isn't actually getting "unreleased shows", your basically buying cardboard with free legal to trade/stream recordings on cds. One is also paying for a release that is not approved by or funding the people that it should. I think those facts should be stated upfront, as that would definitely influence peoples purchasing decisions. To be frank the 71 fm box is a quickly put together scam, and advertising it on this site is inappropriate in my opinion, the box is already leeching off the Dead's iconography/image (I saw no original art, just the old images/photos we've all seen other places) and recordings. I just don't feel that unauthorized bootlegs should be advertised on deadnet's Dave's Picks series pages, maybe start a thread for sketchy bootlegs... If you want what's inside the bootleg box you can very easily find it elsewhere for free, all the music, images and liner notes. All in equal or better quality than this bootleg. Archive . org and blogs/torrents for the shows. Discogs . com and google for the art/notes/cdtrays. I will say I haven't really seen any personal criticisms/attacks, and it seems to have been a pretty civil discussion so far imo. I think the line "smelling the comments" was taken the wrong way, and that is really the only thing tripping things up a little. But literally someone recommended a product, people criticized/gave their opinions on that product and its sale.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 7 months

I have not even received it yet. It's going down with skis from Zurich, Switzerland, yes that wonderful and picturesque country not so in Europe (kind of Delaware). It will be here by February 22. I don't care, I don't pay for customs, and I have too much to listen tbat I don't care. Now everybody: Do, Re, Mi.. (i.e. The sound of music)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

Had DaP 25 on last night on the big speakers as I was doing a mix of housework and catching up on work (oh how Saturday nights have changed since my youth). I'm already on record echoing the sentiments we share for the first set. However, disc 2, which I had previously said was just ok, really caught me by surprise last night. Samson is hotter than I remember, scarlet is uneven (to be kind), but fire on the mountain has some really great moments. Like moments that stopped me in my tracks. Whatever issues Jerry had during scarlet and the transition, I think he more than makes up for during Fire. Killer version. On this rainy day I'm listening to the Nov 73 road trips that has come up a few times here recently. What a wonderful show. Disc 2 is one for the ages...
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

The digital archive should be free to any who desire it. The post-produced stuff gets sold in limited quantities, and then inevitably shared freely; ever since we began recording music on physical and especially digital media. I really do think DL and Dr. Rhino are okay with that. I'll be diving deep on this show tomorrow on a long-ass roadtrip. Jim, I'll be in Silver Spring if you feel like a road trip. Ever been to the NIH?
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I wasn't responding, or implying anything to/about you specifically, I was addressing multiple peoples comments. I just repeated my opinion pretty much exactly as it was back when that box was 1st released. I'd say its even easier to replicate(besides the cardboard, which as I stated, is basically what one is paying for with the bootleg) than I made it out to be as the Doc already offered the whole set for free and discogs has all the art/scans. I also fail to see how my opinion that saying "hey check out this unauthorized bootleg I bought, its great for all these reasons, and you can find it here for $" on the Dead's official site is inappropriate" implies much consternation or hostility on my behalf, as I feel this is common sense. Me saying that the action is strange, isn't necessarily an attack on anybody in particular, and that certainly was not how I intended it. Finally Jerry was not ok with people selling concert recordings, or even vinyl bootlegs heres video of Jerry (he actually addresses a few of the points discussed) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QBJ8pBdpao . skip to around 29minutes in.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Yep.. been to NIH. When are you there, shoot me a PM on the details..
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I challenge you to dual.
user picture

Member for

14 years 9 months

Dissident80 hits it with this little bit amidst a long post:"people who don't want to stream or trade or download". We have seen over the years on these boards that such people exist (I am NOT one). With that in mind, pointing out the box's existence IS doing a service. The various points of indignation about pointing out the box's existence all have legitimacy, but also have loopholes. There doesn't seem to me to be any reason that all these comments can't peacefully co-exist, but reason and emotion don't mix well... Hope no-one is gonna hold grudges over this fracas. In my experience, doing so really diminishes the pleasure one can find here. My own collection of DeadNet grudges has had that effect on me.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....right! Dead.net grudges. I hear ya Seth. Hopefully, the inbox survey is the first brick in the yellow brick road to update this site. It's High Time that the Golden Road gets smoothed out. It's 2018 folks!!!
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

The older I get and the more I know, the more I realize I don't know. Now, that's not an original thought, but it applies. One is more apt to draw lines of black and white when younger and less experienced with all life's little complications. Someone could be exposed to the dreaded Yellow Box of Doom (circa 1971), and be so moved as to become extra-rabid about classic Grateful Dead and begin to seek out and purchase authorized releases, merchandise, concert tickets, etc. It all adds to the overall fan experience. I've searched online late night and hooked up on a couple of these random boxes, and it's fun and exciting to get new, kind of rare stuff. "How will it sound?" There's a little bit of the mystery there. With a Dave's pick, you know you're going to get gold. Also, I bought mine used at an independent mom-and-pop record store, so after the initial bootlegger and manufacturer got theirs, my local guy got his. And, I bought another copy of Dick's Picks 12 (new, unopened!) to compensate for a scratched disc when I was there.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

“I don’t think that means what you think it means.” The fact remains, bootlegging is actually illegal (FBI warning at the beginning of movies), but FM broadcasts may be classified differently in Europe, and Old Yeller is probably made in Europe. But promoting bootlegged material on the band’s own website is in bad taste.
product sku