• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Very interesting!
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Spacebrother I find your comments amusing, considering you are the person in question. I was referring to you when I said that not too long ago, people were lambasted by someone for not buying a release and for pulling out the term "80s hater" for the person who quietly and politely offered an opinion of the band's performance on an occasion. It's like that movie Angel Heart, at the end, when Mickey Rourke is looking in the mirror saying "I know who I am, I know who I am!" At least own up for your deeds.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Got a question for ya. Drop me a line if you can please sir.;o)
user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Right there with you, Keith Fan. Audio is superb. Everyone is clear in the mix and brings a little something extra to each song. Energy is bright and consistent from beginning to end. Definitely one of my desert island shows.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Allowing ourselves to get sucked down that guy's no-win wormhole time and time again.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

HI All, I have been busy for a while and I have been intending on commenting on the discussions. So I did get double treat recently: not only did my DaP 25 arrive, I had also ordered Road Trips Vol. 4 N. 3 (11/21/73). Thank you Real Gone Music! MY RT arrived before DaP 25 so I got to give that good listen. I have to say that this is a great show. I especially love the second set jam where playin’s becomes the interweaving jam vehicle. It kind of reminds me of 5/26/72 where The Other One holds that spot. Anyway I had never heard a note of this show so this is a great listen throughout. I had mentioned this before but having this complete show is great for me because for me it is the next best thing to have actually being there. I would have never been able to attend this show in the first place simply because I was 4 days old at the time. I mention this though because having these recordings (which are not the same as being at the show), kind of helps a dude like me to transcend time. I like to think of this as the Dead’s version of the Tardis or flux capacitor. Having so many shows that were recorded for us to have all of these years later is so great. Makes me super happy. Now for DaP 25, I think it is good show. I do feel as though the 1st set equals the 2nd set, which for me isn’t totally unheard of. I do think that the 2nd set doesn't pack the wallop that I thought it would. Now I'm not saying it is bad, but since we have 11/2, 11/4 and 11/5 to compare it to I feel like 11/4 and 11/5 are better shows. Regarding the 2nd set, the Truckin’ does some really cool stuff and Wharf Rat takes off as well. With that being the case, I am glad this was released because it completes for us what I like to call the unofficial November 77 box set. So between this one and my recent RT acquisition I have been l quite happy.
user picture

Member for

11 years 9 months

I've been a Dave's Picks subscriber since the beginning of the series. Never had a problem with shipping until now. Dave's Picks 25 has not arrived to my location. UPS says it was delivered and received at the local post office. Post office says it was never delivered, even though the USPS website says it did arrive. I don't know if MaryE or drrhino can help. Can someone post their email addresses? I know they have been posted here before but I paid little attention since I have never had a problem. Thanks.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

My first non-tape live DEAD came in the mail as Dick's Picks 1 for my b-day sometime after it's release,but before my b-day...by 6 days or so. Haven't listened to this for a looooong time. It's still the shit... :o)
user picture

Member for

8 years 3 months

Is freaking amazing. I originally thought owning the ala carte 7-8 gig would be "enough." I've been wrong before and will be wrong again. One of the best looking and designed box sets in my collection too.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

I finally got DaP 25 the other day. Like others,I agree the first set is amazing. I've gone back and relistened to that first disc several times already. That Half-Step...wow. Second disc has its moments but kind of uneven. Third disc is great-the boys tear the house down...overall really happy to have an updated version of this show. Daves picks 15 (4/22/78) also, least to me, features a first set that may rival the second set. Don't get me wrong, the second set is hot (especially the NFA>Wharf Rat) but when I think of that show, I think of the first set which is among the best first sets of 1978 (especially the candyman, ten Jed and deal). I'm rambling. It's 5:45am and I need coffee....
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Bertha -> Good Lovin'Friend Of The Devil Passenger Candyman Cassidy Peggy-O Me And My Uncle -> Big River Deal Samson And Delilah It Must Have Been The Roses Estimated Prophet -> He's Gone -> Drums -> Space -> The Other One -> Wharf Rat -> Around And Around Werewolves Of London ~ This show is a beauty ~
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

...where someone who recently signs up, and their first post or two is an attack against me while in agreeance with AJS. Dude, let it go. How many fake accounts does one have to register just to be spiteful? I was miracled a box when I was in a financially difficult time. Get over it. It's been like 5 years now.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

with whoever made the comment that its not a "sloppy" show, its just a show where they're taking risks and letting the music play the band - more than even the previous nights. They're driving boldly and confidently down the road executing some powerfully fluid turns, and they don't flinch if they take out a mailbox or two in the process. The Truckin' from this show is a triumphant exclamation point on the show, the tour, and the year. Space - Agreed. Let it go.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Having stated that all 70s written sings were played better in the 70s than in the following two decades, I decided to actually listen to an 80s show. For no particular reason, I chose 31st July 1982 from 30 Trips. It starts off a bit ropey, and seemed to fulfil my expectations. But towards the end of the first set things start picking up considerably. Comparisons are odious, but the first set closer, "Deal" is surely as good, if not better than the versions played in 1972.When I started listening, last night, I didn't think I would make it through to the end. But now I am looking forward to getting into the second set. Incidentally, I think its great on this board when people respectfully express differences of opinion. But its a pain in the ass when people try to score points, or try and belittle others.
user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

07 02 95 Here Comes Sunshine Walking Blues Dire Wolf It's All Over Now Broken Arrow Desolation Row* Tennessee Jed Let It Grow Scarlet Begonias -> Fire on the Mountain Victim or the Crime It's All Too Much New Speedway Boogie -> Drums -> Space -> Attics of my Life -> Sugar Magnolia E: The Mighty Quinn https://archive.org/details/gd1995-07-02.113283.BK4006.gotfob.flac16/gd…
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Yes, Deal came up as well (songs where 80's version can surpass 70's versions). Some Deals from summer '89 pull out the Vista Cruiser ending where they settle into a groove and Jerry takes OFF with tube-screamer screaming while the drummers go nuts. I remember hearing that 6/21/89 Deal for the first time - my jaw was on the floor as they kept building crescendo after crescendo with little breathers in between.... peals of fragile thunder. Drop the needle at 1:14:50 and listen to them jam for the next 5 minutes.... They didn't do THAT in the 70's! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEPbDJ_6aBM
user picture

Member for

8 years

...great post. :)I agree as well. ...It can't rain all the time...;)
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

I miss Blair, wish he hadn't done what he did to get fired, but, I'm sure he was telling it like it is, which is why he was so good at what he did. We will never know what happened, but I tend to think he went against the status quo and the powers that be didn't like it. He was a big proponent of the E 72 box, and I thank him for that and all his great essays. Miss you Blair.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Frank: What I don't understand is why do people take an instant dislike to me? Trapper: It saves time, Frank.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

his book about the GD cemented my unlimited devotion to the GD, and exponented (a new word) my tape/CD collecting. The Golden Road fanzine maintained that devotion and collecting, which of course remains to this day, and onward. Blair, we hardly knew ye. behind the scenes is not for us to see. I miss you too, Blair.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/02-06-1969 Dead of the Day: February 6, 1969 Kiel Auditorium St. Louis, Missouri Without much debate, the 1969 show at the Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis is our Dead of the Day for February 6th. Following a good, but not stratospheric Morning Dew, the band whips the crowd into a psychedelic frenzy, tearing up the rest of the show. So much of the show is so very good, but the highlight may very well be the Eleven, which, building out of a furious jam, has the band presenting one of the sweetest deliveries of the lyrics, which themselves are reminiscent of some acid dripped nursery rhyme. However, the Dead didn’t intend to put the seething masses to sleep, instead they kept up the furious pace until, finally, relenting with a heartfelt We Bid You Goodnight.
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

You did say those things that I referred to. You did get on somebody and call them a Brent hater and insult him for simply saying they didn't like his vocals. You did get negative and make a comment towards everybody who didn't buy the 89 RFK set. Your comment was something to the effect that they should all go buy Kid Rock albums, but a bit nasty. No, I am not Angry Jack Straw. In fact he IM'd me about my SYF logo picture two days ago, so clearly we're not the same people. If you don't believe me I will email you the screen shot. I think what people would like, Spacebrother, is a commitment from you to refrain from making personal attacks towards people who have not attacked you. I wish I could remember when this happened. Maybe some people will step up. I will say this, your opinions on the Grateful Dead are very informed and enlightening. It's just that everything you say is overshadowed by your lashing out at any comment critical of the 1980s. That's all we're asking for is that you stop the negativity and the personal attacks.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I always thought this to be one of the songs that really grew over time. I don't think a 70's version even comes close. On the time stamps alone they got longer. But I feel I saw a good chunk of 80's Deal first set closers, they were all hot. Sidenote, the video Thin(?) posted with the show from 89, great sound on that recording. I don't know where "voodoonola" got all his shit from, but his shit is usually good. Sidenote 2 - I too can hate the bickering that seems to go on, can't anyone let things go? If person A say xyz sucks and anyone who likes xyz must be an idiot, stop! But if you call person A an idiot for thinking that, than you're no better, maybe worst. It takes two to argue. Also if you're changing your id every other day, you may have a problem, grow up. ....everyone saw my face I didn't wear a mask. You want to know my name just ask.... -Ice-T "The Hunted Child"
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

You're walking down a hall and there are two doors, in one room they're playing your most hated period of GD history, the period you REALLY hate, because..... whatever the fucking reason. But in the other door they are playing your favorite ABBA song (yes, you can have only one favorite ABBA song). Which door do you go in? As Python said, "say no more".
user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I commented that I didn't care for Brent's vocals. It was a remark about a musician none of us know. There was nothing mean spirited about it, only a comment that he was singing out of tune and sounded below par compared to what I had become accustomed to with this band after listening to Ladies and Gentlemen, and Veneta 8/27/72. Space Brother's reply to me was: "This Wharf Rat rocks and the vocals are excellent. Tinnitus perhaps?....or you just hate Brent?" Not a very welcoming remark. I'm just my first 6 months into the 89 version of this band. Think about it. Constructive comment about someone none of us know, met with a personal attack, and negativity. Maybe I "hate" Brent is comical almost, except people are still talking about it. This doesn't bother me on a personal level, but after being here a few months, I understand how people have grown tired of hearing it. Yeah, I support a commitment against personal attacks to strangers, but if someone takes a shot at me, I can't guarantee I'm not going to respond.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 11 months

Sorry to disappoint you, but this shit has been going on long before you showed up. We're talking years.
user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Man, I love when my powers of prognostication prove to be right. Because, look! Here we all are again. Right back where we always end up. Around and around...
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....***yawn***....80sfan brought up DaP 15 Nashville early this morning. I spun Nashville's second set last night. I don't believe in coincidences. The Estimated hit the spot....
user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Almost passed on this box when it was first announced, but definitely glad I didn't. It helped me gain a new appreciation for '78 (along with Dave's 7 and 15). Up until then, Dick's Picks 18 was my sole go-to for '78. And while I appreciate that 7/8 is considered the jewel of the box, 7/1, 7/3, and 7/7 continuously get more play with me. All three hit my ears in an exactly perfect way.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years

I rarely get to respond because of my job but let's get to the basics. I've come to the conclusion Heads are like Johnnie Walker.We rate eras and our top shelf is the era we love. I'm new to this but I love all releases. I do prefer Pig shows because of DaP 6 but it doesn't mean I should argue with someone else's era. The RFK box blew my mind but back to this release. To me it's nice. Can't wait for the next pick. I think at this point the STASH that came back will be priority right now and I'm cool with it. I do feel it was too early for a 77 release but I'll never complain. On another note did anyone's DaP 25 register as DaP's 24 on iTunes?
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

is not an 80's show :) I looked up the setlist and the performance remarks on this one, 2 complete shows from the winter of 71, one with Pig and one with Keith alone, looks totally awesome. There's some great stuff from these two shows and another Run, Run Rudolph (I dig it when the Dead do Chuck Berry tunes). Hopefully they will leave in the banter between songs, especially Jerry's Elmer Fudd impersonation after Deal from 11-17. Then we have 12-14 a Mr. Charlie, the last Cryptical for 8 months and a rare gem with You Win Again. 2 full shows for the price of one. Now, I've got to wait till May to get this one, something to look forward to for sure. I have not heard these shows and am just passing it on for discussion. "Pleeeeease, don't murder me"
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

although, it is funny you list "you win again" as a gem. just last night I was thinking how that is a least favorite of mine, as I listened to 12/31/71. seriously. It's great! it sucks! lol...
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Abba was much better in the 70s, no doubt 'bout it! By the way, they did cover Money, Money as well as Fernando's Tower. I must be in the minority, but I prefer the pre-80s Deals; the mid-song choruses got formatted to where Jerry pretty much hit the same licks every time, and the vocals sounded rushed like like they couldn't wait to get to the jam. I'll take the 76 - 78 versions anytime.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

Shirdeep, I may have to lift that bumper sticker line and try it sometime. The old saying "you don't discover the Grateful Dead, the Grateful Dead discovers you" doesn't necessarily click with those who are undiscovered yet. Angry Jack, re: MASH - there is a great hike at Malibu Creek State Park in the Santa Monica mountains a ways above Malibu that goes to an old outdoor set they used for the show - the place you see at the beginning of the show where the chopper comes buzzing over the peaks in the background. They've left a few props there like a rusted old jeep and hospital wagon, and a small tin shack with some photos from the show on the walls. Not sure if you already know about that, but it's a fun trek. That state park is really spectacular in the rest of it too, with high cliffs, lakes, heavy vegetation for SoCal, and nice big ocean views from the Backbone trail crossing through its southern portion.
user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I think you missed the reason for my post. Trainwrecked said he wished he could remember who was involved in a specific Spacebrother incident he recalled, where Spacebrother made a troll-like personal attack, and asked for the person to speak up. That was the reason for my post. I was that person.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Anyone ever figure that one out?? Average number of releases a year divided into what hasn't been released yet from the vault... That is how long I am afraid the era debate will go on!! I'll keep buying everything until it runs dry!!! Hope I live long enough!!! P.S. yesterday was the 40th anniversary of an amazing Scarlet-Fire from Univ of Northern Iowa..
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I didn't realize there was a story here. How long has he been gone? I like the pre-hiatus Deals best, when Jerry played the intro lick with some definition. Post-hiatus they began jumping into it drums first. '71-'72 - love it - just feels like a small venue smell the fuzz dirty tube amp blues rocker to me.
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

9/18/90 - Madison Square Garden 2nd set starts out with an almost 18 minute Eyes that is pure bliss. The famous trio jam after foolish heart is absolutely amazing. In fact, that whole MSG run is really good. Get some, perhaps?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 1 month

Good, not great. Great sound, more subtle use of 'bass boost' by Mr. Norman compared to Dave 24. First half good to great, with Mississippi Half-Step the killer. Versions all good, not the energy of the prior week of shows. Second set--c'mon, this is not an unusual or laid back Scarlet-Fire. Its Jerry having all kinds of annoyance at his guitar. The lead-in and outro to Scarlet are practically non-existent, he gets in the intra-verse solo well, but then when the vocals stop he just stops, too, just when Weir also stops. Lesh and Godchaeux are apparently too drunk and nodding respectively to notice and we go for about a minute and a half before Bobby comes back in, they all wait for Garcia (someone yells something like 'all good now') but then nothing happens, and then finally a meager short solo to transition to Fire---where every verse is blown vocally, the solos are pretty good, but the outro just sinks quickly. Then, the St. Stephan and NFA are professional but not on fire. The ending Wharf Rat-Truckin'-encore is great. Why not 10/29/77? Just like why not 8/24 or 8/21 rather than 8/25 in the last pick? Dammit, Dave, you have to agree with me!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

I can't help but think that those posters who are old enough to remember teasing or more at work about being a deadhead really don't or shouldn't get too upset when someone gets a little crazy. Let's call it 50 which means you were at your job long enough for people to know you were a DEADHEAD. In my case I'm a lot older than that so it's been going on a lot longer. Any case some would tease you some would ridicule you and some some were downright nasty. The point I'm coming to is none of it meant a thing to me.I couldn't have cared less what they thought as a matter of fact after '87 I wished more people hated them. So what if there are '80's fanatics who go over the top. Who cares if some or a lot hate Brent's singing. I happen to like both 80's shows and Brent and don't gaf if you do or not,and more importantly dgaf if you like my opinion . And what's more you shouldn't really care what I like. They are going to release what they think is great and will sell fast.
user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I only like Dead shows from June. It doesn't matter what year, as long as it's from June. If you don't like June Dead shows, then you sir, are......A Poopy Head!!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Everyone knows July is where it's at. And April, May and October. Blair left in January 2013. www.dead.net/features/blair-jackson/blair-s-golden-road-blog-here-s-whe… I have no idea what the circumstances were.. but my experience with these things is it's usually money or ego driven. He was sort of replaced by David's Dodds blog for a couple years, but this too finally ended. Blair's Golden Road was worth the read and I used to look forward to it (no offense to the rest of you rabid posters) :D At about the same time they really scaled back on the efforts put into liner notes for the releases, or at least how it appears to me. One release we got nothing but newspaper clippings and some historical nick knacks, if memory serves. It also corresponded with the end of the Road Trips and the likely realization that Rhino was not seeing the return on their 10 year investment they expected. My guess is they scaled back on costs and one of the first areas they focused on what non production, non royalty expenses. But we will never know for sure. I miss his work too, especially on some of the show reviews and liner notes..
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I appreciate the history recall.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Can you hear the drums Fernando? Billy and Mickey? I remember long ago another (dark) starry night like this In the firelight Fernando, strange shadows from the flames will grow
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

As someone who has seriously gotten into it with Spacebrother over distortions or falsehoods in the past, I can say that he has seriously mellowed recently. In years past, his statements were almost (dare I say it?)...Trumpesque (sorry Space, but it's an apt descriptor). He would claim that the 80s releases were in the highest demand, and that sales would back him up, etc. Anything to the contrary was FAKE NEWS. Once, way back in the now-defunct Dave's Picks 10 page, we argued for a day; with neither numbers nor interview quotes from TBTB swaying his belief that the best selling releases were 80s shows. It was exhausting. He's committed to his stance, I'll give him that. He's not going anywhere. It's easier to just let this stuff go by unacknowledged. He's dialed back his hyperbole to passive aggressive references to some mysterious "80s hating clique" (the dead.net DEEP STATE), and elitist "Deader Than Thou"complaints (they think 80s fans are nothing but deplorables!), FAKE DEADHEADS, and similar stuff. It's not truthful or becoming, but it's better than the relentless falsehoods that he used to peddle. I'll take this version of Spacebrother ANY day. Again, he's not going anywhere. So for the sake of civility, let him be.
product sku