• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

9 years

I was wondering if anyone had heard the DP's on vinyl releases. I saw David Lemieux say on twitter about the upcoming DP8 release and that Jeffery Norman worked with the original analogs for this release. I was wondering if they sound better then the originals and were worth it for the sonic upgrades?
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....I haven't listened to Gainesville in a long time. Checking it out now. The Minglewood is hot, hot, hot. Sploosh....
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Who is this Gainesville guy everyone keeps talking about?
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....last I heard, he sold insurance for VW buses with pop tops. He was very selective.edit. I noticed Peabody and Sherman's WAYBAK machine is dialed to Binghamton. Very nice....
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

I just listened to some the 11/29/80 Gainsvile show with a critical ear. It is staggering how good a recording it is, despite being an AUD. I was kinda thinking for a moment "it doesn't need any matrix - it sounds great as is", but maybe adding some SBD matrix in there WOULD help add a little compression to the bass and clarify the cymbals. But heck, I really enjoy having stellar AUD's like 8/6/71, 9/19/90, 5/3/69 and other stellar examples.... It allows me to feel like I'm there.... healthy to have a few AUD's for that reason - you rarely get that flavor anymore. I appreciate the link that was attached to someone's post with the list of primo AUD's. If anyone has any others they know of worth tracking down, please speak and be heard. Dilly dilly.... On a related note, I'm a guitarist and one of my fav AUD' recordings is by an early Western Swing band "Jimmie Rivers and the Cherokees". I never listened to western swing, but saw this written up in the back pages of a guitar magazine about 15 years ago. Recorded by a little shoebox-style tape recorder someone plopped on the stage in like 1962~. The result is remarkably clear, and the guitar interplay between Jimmie Rivers (guitar) and Vance Terry on pedal steel guitar is staggering - includes a lot of dual-guitar-harmony runs. The liner notes on the CD describing the scene are hilarious. As they announce at the end of this track, "on Saturday night the music starts at 9:00 and the fights start at 10:00!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeMoea4kO7Q
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

It appears that ABCD Enterprises, LLC, has trademarked the term "Betty Boards." https://trademarks.justia.com/860/76/betty-86076910.html Still looks to me like the couple with part of Betty's storage unit stash, located and connected with the GD via Rob Eaton, created ABCD as their business entity for dealing with releases. And that accounts for the 2016 '78 Red Rocks box, the 2017 '77 box and the last five DaPs, releases from '71, '72, '73, '77 and '78. That means (11) 77-78 shows have been released in ~18 months, thus unlikely that this year's box will continue that streak. Dave has spoken of the inevitability of a fall '72 box (including my first show?) but fall '72 has already seen ~(5) official releases. I notice that there's a big gap in '73 releases, between 4-2-73 (DaP 21) and 10-19-73 (DiP 19) -- that six-month gap is due to be filled. Perhaps that also could rely on the ABCD tape stash, if it includes '73 shows other than 4-2-73. In contrast, '74 releases hit Feb, March, May, June, July, August, Sept, Oct -- virtually no gaps. Releases from '71 hit Feb, March, April, July, August, Oct, Nov, Dec. Release-able 1969-70 tapes must be relatively scarce; thus hold-outs for individual show release. 1968 will see one show released this year w/re-release of Anthem. Going with '79 seems too close to '77-'78. So, based on the "gap theory" aligning with what year is well-represented in the vault (I'm guessing) but not on releases, I'm going with the 1973 box hypothesis for this summer, its 45th anniversary. The 50th anniversary of 1973 is too long to wait. 45 offers some hype-ability. The question is whether Dave deems the most iconic shows of that summer (RFK,6-10-73 and Watkins Glen, 7-28-73) to be better off in a box or as a stand-alone. And, of course, whether 7-28-73's noon-time performance is worthy of release at all. I will say that the ABB's 6-9-73 show (they closed that day's concert) was a goodie. But I hear that two ABB sets with the original band (i.e., Duane and Berry) from the Fillmore West 1971 may be in the works for release, but I digress. So ... back to GD box speculation: summer '73. A big year for me, for the band and for me and the band (if six shows in five months counts).
user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

I think from the way it's been described by Dave in the various videos for releases, that ABCD may be a 4 party partnership, between all the buyers of the tapes from the storage unit. Particularly of note is the fact that he mentioned getting over 100 shows, which exceeded the estimates of what was in there. So unless the couple got really lucky in their part of the haul, I think the chemistry teacher is involved, too, and the other two buyers, hence the name ABCD (partners A, B, C, and D). (Phish phans predicted their comeback from break up after someone noticed the formation of a company called JEMP, which stood for the first letter of the first name of each member. It turned out to have been 100% correct, and they later formed JEMP Records.) I would love a Fall '72 box, or '73 or the Wall of Sound box. But if they do a box of single disc shows from '68, I'll be happy, too. Or Capitol '71... Edited to add: smart move on the copyright of Betty Boards, sucks Betty didn't think of it first.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Anyone else upload the discs to ITunes and have it say that it was DP 24? I gave you one job...
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Grateful Dead - November 29, 1980Alligator Alley Gym - Gainesville, FL Recording Info: SBD > Multi-Gen Cassette (Maxell XLII 90) Transfer Info: Cassette (Nakamichi CR-7A) > Tascam DA-3000 (DSF 1-bit/5.8 MHz) > KORG AudioGate 4 > Adobe Audition CC 2015 > Samplitude Pro X3 Suite > FLAC/24 (1 DVD FLAC) All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller charliemiller87@earthlink.net September 12, 2017 Patch Info: (FOB) Beyer M160 > Cassette Master > FLAC (shnid=132457) supplies: Truckin' (4:18 - 6:04) (8:10 - end of track) Drums (0:00 - 0:02) Good Lovin' (0:08 - end of track) Encore Break (complete track) U.S. Blues (complete track) Notes: -- Thanks to Sean Kutzko for the tape -- This is all that is currently available from the soundboard -- Thanks to Jim Wise for the patch source -- Thanks to Joe B. Jones for his input on the pitch correction -- This is 139321 24 bit -> 16 bit Set 2: 01 - Shakedown Street > 02 - Franklin's Tower > 03 - Estimated Prophet > 04 - He's Gone > 05 - Truckin' > 06 - Drums > 07 - Space > 08 - The Other One > 09 - Stella Blue > 10 - Good Lovin' Encore: 11 - Encore Break 12 - Casey Jones
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I posted that link a few weeks ago. If you delve a bit deeper it appears that ABCD is located in Illinois, which is the same state where the DaP shipping labels/tracking info originates from.So, we need further investigation into the matter. Specifically, whether the address of ABCD and the address where shipping tracking originates from are the same address. Someone get on that.... I’m busy drinking beer and listening to 11-6-77
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

If you scroll down, it appears that Betty herself may have signed off on allowing ABCD to trademark "Betty Boards." Icecreamed Kid: I haven't been lurking very well, you were on it. Sounds likely, your theory on the four-party approach, though I doubt the shares are equal, as the GD org has the lion's share of expenses for production. 100 recovered shows would certainly explain the 14-15 shows in a row just released from that stash. Wasn't there one hold-out, the creep who wanted "one meeeeliun dollars"? The "other two" stashes I recall: one from Mtn Grrrl, which purportedly includes a completely unknown show, and some Jer shows, and the dead soundman's former girlfriend, who returned reels I believe made DaP 10/Thelma/12-69 possible. I've sort of over-eaten on 77-78. Looking forward to this year's '68 show (actually, foaming at the mouth for it) and the mystery box due in ... May?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Looking forward to complete winterland 74 set and I think it's time for 7-18-76 this year!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I like the Winterland 74 The Complete Recordings idea... It's been a while since someone mentioned 06/29/76, Auditorium Theater - Chicago, IL too. It's worth it just for the Mission in the Rain.
user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

@simonrob, thanks for taking the time to list the players that support HDCD, @deadheadbrewer, thanks for providing the link to the Steve Hoffman audio forum. Thanks for the welcome's as well. I apologize for going off topic. After doing some research, I learned that most of those players are out of production. In addition to DVD or bluray, many of them were designed to support SACD, or DVD audio, as well as HDCD. Unfortunately those formats never went mainstream. The majority of the general public doesn't want to spend the extra money for higher quality sound. SACD, and DVD Audio were more expensive than regular CDs. I believe the introduction of lossy compression formats, (mp3, etc.) played a role in the demise of 24bit sound in a CD platform. Most people choose quantity over quality, so they're OK with low quality mp3 sources. I prefer the highest quality music that I can get. I like HDCD because it plays similar to Dolby 5.1. I particularly like the deep bass produced by the subwoofer, so 24bit is where it's at. I want to hear Phil's bass reproduced at the lowest frequency possible. I also want to say thanks to Dave Lemieux, Jeffrey Norman, Rhino, and everybody else involved for going the extra mile to provide for us the highest quality Grateful Dead they're capable of producing.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

3/24/73
user picture

Member for

8 years 3 months

I could live with that. Look at their history. The Wall of Sound a prime example. And with all these amazing sounding Archival releases, the GoGD can also be a band for Audiophiles.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 7 months

Am I the only one who has to go through and manually add the information to each track and disc so it tells me what song and disc I'm listening to? The discs seem to come with zero info preloaded.
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

I have most of the Dicks Picks vinyl releases and anxiously waiting for DP8. I don't know if they sound "better" but I'm a vinyl junkie and to me, they sound different. If you like vinyl, it's worth it. You might try finding a cheap copy of DP2 since it was just one disc, then you can judge from that if it was worth it. And if you don't like it, it'd probably be easy to re-sell.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

We need more 1980 shows, was a great year for the band and there were some great shows played in that year, all year long, Spring, Summer Fall and Winter, but that Gainesville show was the best party that I was ever at for a Dead show. I'm almost positive the soundboard is not in the vault, therefore get the audience recording and be blown away. I have made mention of this show in the past and the party at the University is legendary and is still talked about to this day on the campus. It was homecoming and back in the day before drug tests, the Gators lost badly on that day, the Bulldogs whooped them with no mercy. Everyone was tripping and I think some of the key players on the team got dosed too. Bobby makes mention of it before Trucking, saying it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of guys. If you listen to the first set, Jerry seems a bit off/out of tune?, then, all of a sudden, he wakes up, gets in tune, gets off and zoom off we go into the deep space that makes this band so special. They hit all the cylinders that night and went into overdrive more that once, it was quite a nite, and I did not get in, was too wasted outside in the lot, but you could still hear the show, it was awesome, one I will never forget and probably the only time I was too wasted not to go in, even tho I did not have a ticket, getting in without one in those days was a bit easier that it got to be later, especially if you knew a few frat boys who lined the entire event up. Homecoming, The Grateful Dead, Real good Blotter everywhere and everyone dosed equals a legendary show that should be released, even if it is only audience recording.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Great first hand account.. I enjoy insights into the shows and venues.. ..but who is this Gainesville fellow every keeps talking about and why to people keep dosing him?
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I've had this show on my phone for months, but never got to it. I have an orange SYF skull with Flyers logo as album cover art. Audio is excellent with some EQ tuning. I am melting to the Spanish Jam on full blast driving to work. Saw many bands at the old Spectrum, just 20 minutes from home. Great suggestion.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Yeah supposedly the person who owned some of the tapes asked for a lot of dough at first. I'm glad thtey came to terms. The arrangement they came up with certainly yields much less than $1 mil to the owner near-term, but I'm sure they get a piece of any future streams from the same recordings.... cuz what if the whole Dead catalog or all the DP's get purchased by Amazon/Rhino 15 years from now for whatever reason for $20 million dollars? Why not? The Beatles catalog and the recordings increased exponentially over time... no the GD don't have that mass appeal, but values do go up and ya never know what happens in music distribution down the line. Over time I bet they eventually accumulate their $1 mil...
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

I've been visiting with 6/28/76 over the past week or so; Jimbo your 6/29 reference reminded me of this excellent part of the tour that year.... There is some very good stuff going on here; notably the first set Scarlet, set ending Music Never Stopped, and then the very interesting second set with one of those long-winded Eyes to start off (where they jam BEFORE the first verse for like 6+ minutes as they had been doing all through June of this year), and then it trails off into a little Phil segment with drums before the first stand-alone attempt at Fire on the Mountain - but without vocals. It's dubbed 'Happiness is Drumming' and it's a pretty cool reveal. The rest of the show is pretty good too even with a fairly rare NFA encore. For those looking for a bit of under-the-radar-history from seventy-six, take a dive. This is a pretty good matrix recording: https://archive.org/details/gd1976-06-28.mtx.seamons.112676.flac16/gd76… Seventy-Sixtus
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

"Jerome John 'Jerry' Garcia was the founder and frontman of the legendary band, THE GRATEFUL DEAD (originally called, THE WARLOCKS back in 1965). Clearly, the original band's name reveals their allegiance to Satan, evidenced further by the notoriously strange and bizarre things that happened at Grateful Dead concerts. The band's diehard fans were known as 'deadheads.' Fans often spoke-in-tongues, claimed alien abductions and men dressed as women while dancing to Rock 'N' Roll music." https://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20America/Rock-n-Roll/jerry_…
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Curse you and all that come after you! I went to your link about Jimmie Rivers, damn you. Ended up on Amazon, bought the Jimmie River disc and a 4 cd set called "Wizards of Country Guitar: Selected Sides 1935-1955", all because you twisted my arm with your fancy words about this incredible album. So now I have another 40 bucks of cd purchases to hide from "she who must be obeyed". If she learns of this purchase you will be responsible for the medical cost I will incur at the emergency room. But really, once again a great heads-up on a wonderful album. There is nowhere else I go where I can catch snatches of different stuff to listen to. Deadheads may not be best of any group, but we sure listen to a wide range of music. So in that spirit I throw this one out I learned of yesterday - Papadosio - T.E.T.I.O.S. (you will find on youtube (song garden), getting ready to run this group down) Check-em out.
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Is that a real site? Wow! I could say a lot of things, but, maybe talking about religion here is like talking about politics here. So I'll just leave it at WOW!
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

From wadeocu's link "Jerry Garcia suffered many heartaches in life, including a drug-induced diabetic attack which put him into a coma for 5-days in 1886." Dave has purposely held back GD releases from the 1880s. And don't dare give me that crap about there being no good quality recordings. Edison had figured out a way to record sound on tinfoil-coated cylinders. In 1877, he created a machine with two needles: one for recording and one for playback. And nitrous oxide, N2O, was first discovered in 1772. Release the 1880 shows, Dave!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Ha.. nice link. Love it. .... from his coma in 1886 to his death in 1995 means Jerry lived to at least 109 years old implying acid is the real fountain of youth.
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

Duryea, haven't you heard that Edison left all his cylinders in a storage unit and it was auctioned off after he died...Deborah Koons won the bid and she is currently holding them for ransom.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....that article made me cringe. None of those bible verses even applied to whatever point the writer was trying to make. Whatever.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Glad to see some Western Swing chat here...I've played in a coupla' WS bands the last few years, even gigged at Brisbane's Club 23 on many occasions. Besides Jimmy Rivers, you can't go wrong with: Bob Wills, Billy Jack Wills, Jack Guthrie, Hank Thompson, Jimmy Byant/Speedy West, Tex Williams.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Word is that this years box set will consist of all the GD shows from the 19th century. It will consist of thousands of fully Normanized remasters of over 100,000 wax cylinders in a beautiful wheeled microhome. https://hips.hearstapps.com/clv.h-cdn.co/assets/16/34/768x384/landscape…:* Rhino will be producing this in conjunction with Blue Amberol Records. From the liner notes: In 1887, Edison turned his attention back to improving the phonograph and the phonograph cylinder. The following year, the Edison company debuted the Perfected Phonograph. Edison introduced wax cylinders approximately 4 1⁄4 inches (11 cm) long and 2 1⁄4 inches (5.7 cm) in external diameter, which became the industry standard.[1] They had a maximum playing time of about 3 minutes at 120 RPM, but around the turn of the century the standard speed was increased to 160 RPM to improve clarity and volume, reducing the maximum to about 2 minutes and 15 seconds.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Dennis - Got ya! I was completely blown away when I heard that album - how many bootleg recordings from 1962 with amazing guitar improvisations does one ever hear??. I had no idea anyone was shredding on guitar like that in '62. Of course Djando Reinhardt in France was big in the 40's and 50's, but that was more highfalutin jazz. Scotty Moore was recording with Elvis in the mid-fifties and certainly had some game, but playing behind Elvis he couldn't really stretch out much. That Jimmie Rivers and the Cherokees CD seems like the closest thing to the Pigpen-era Dead scene, but in its own context or parallel universe to the GD: endless improvisations (no vocals!), virtuoso musicianship, kind of an unglamorous scene, tough and gritty sound - and there was a taper in the room, so we're not listening to some ultra-careful, pretty recording! Instead these guys are THROWING DOWN with gusto in a rough-and-tumble blue-collar bar, and it smokes! Cousins - I didn't realize dual-lead-guitar was much of a thing pre-Allmans! I guess in Western Swing thats a thing.... who knew? I mean, I never really heard of Western Swing until I bought this... Whenever I get sick of the usual, I reach for this CD.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

I had to scroll down to see who started this silliness. Wadeocu posted an odd link to say the least and I became victim of click-bait. An anti-religious page, ha-ha! I read it and at first I was a wee bit angry with this page. I followed another link and found out that Dolly Parton is "evil" and the Beach Boys amongst many others are into *it* too. Totally twisted.I think the whole thing is funny and I can easily and totally forgive wadeocu for posting this "odd" little link. Let's all get back to the matter at hand - Grateful Dead and this DaP 25 and other aspects of music in general. Like wissinomingdeadhead's Truckin' post (3/24/73) Such a good lad. Here in Pennsylvania, it's Groundhog Day (2 February) and the groundhog forecasts six more weeks of winter, somewhere. Oh yeah baby, I like Johnny Winter! HAPPY FRIDAY, DEADLAND!
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I have a good chunk of Bob. How can you not like that stuff?
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Breaking with tradition.. Charlie Miller and David Glasser at Airshow Mastering have collaborated to pitch corrected the wax cylinders and Jamie Howarth has implemented new processes into the Plangent Process to specifically address pops, scratches and melted spots in the wax cylinders. Check out the listening party, it sounds terrific.
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

A couple of comments. If you have not heard any Dead cd's in HDCD you are missing out. The sound is significantly better even with my 71 year old ears. You might want to scrounge around an find a used hdcd player and give it a try.Regarding Dave's Picks 25...if you do not have one I would suggest paying the cost to buy one on eBay. I think it is one of the best dead shows I have ever heard on cd. Mr. Pete-----------> aging hippie
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....is spot on. Not sure if Binghamton will crack my personal top 5 Dave's, but it's knocking on the door. "C'mon Vguy. Let me in. That's a nice sounding room you have there."Sittin' On Top Of The World punked out by the Dead. I can hear that....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

"Dave's not here!"
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....Dave's here. He's just busy baking tapes and brain cells. Cut him some slack. Spinning Cobo '76 from TTATS. It's like an old girlfriend. I missed her.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

digression is my obsession. Would be an excellent development!Listened to the murderous Dark Star from St. Louis, Fox Theatre, Groundhog Day show, 2/02/70, Dave's. (not a bad Hard To Handle that might find you singing along, too) An interesting study that takes place annually is the 12/31/72 show looped to the 1/02/72. Will be roaring tomorrow night with 2/03/78 on 11. Feliz Viernes Dead community!
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

2/3/78?? It's the 40th anniversary of my first show??!! Damn ;)
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Started my day with this show shoveling snow. What a great little show.. and a fabulous theatre. Image what would have been if they bought it and set up camp on their way from coast to coast.
product sku