• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 5 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

RV3 - you wrote: "the myth that a lot of the soundboards from the 1980s (early 1980s in particular) don't sound good is just BS. I know this is not the consensus, and don't really care....." Not sure what color the sky is in your world, but it sounds nice. I wish my 80s recordings sounded as good as they do on your stereo. The 80's has some really wonderful shows. Luckily the '89-90 recordings are amazing, and they are releasing those fairly steadily. Hope you;re digging that RFK box they just released?
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

In Atlanta, GA. So far it sounds fantastic [after two 420’s and a couple Whiskey Sours]. I swear the drums sound like they are in my cave! ‘77 is what got me hooked on the Dead to start with as Dick’s Picks 3 was my intro to the band. A hundred cd’s later and I’m hooked. Maybe the Best Mississippi Half step I have ever heard. Onto Disc 2.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 3 months

17142 Has arrived in Philly. It's Tuesday PLAY DEAD to STAY ALIVE
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

happy 1/2 steps 11/6/77 5/7/77 9/3/77 8/31/78 3/10/81 what a great tune...
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

JRF.. if you're out there, check your PM.
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I think that might have been the imposter rv3 posting. The incoherent rambling gives it away. Rumor has it that Dave plans on releasing more 80s soon. Following along the newly established guidlines of DaP25, a strict purchase limit will be enforced. Minimum of 5 copies per customer. Have not listened to this release on CD yet. Ironically, I traveled through Binghamton today and listened to the show on Sirius. The 1/2 step is outstaning, but I still give the nod to 5/7 earlier in the year. Jack Straw is an all-timer indeed.
user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Hello everybody. I want to start by introducing myself as a Deadhead that was born in 1977. I started listening to The Grateful Dead in 1994. I was lucky enough to see 2 shows, 2/19/95 (Salt Lake City) & 5/21/95 (Vegas). Both shows were awesome, but man, that Vegas show is something I will never forget...  Now on to my question. I'm wondering how many of you are able to decode HDCD, and what you use to do that? I use Windows media player, but it's a pain in the ass to hook the laptop up to the Denon receiver every time I want to listen to High Definition Dead. My Bowers and Wilkens speakers are perfect for 5.1 audio, but I want a stand alone player that will decode HDCD. Other than a computer, is there a stand alone CD player that will decode HDCD? Thanks in advance for any advice you're able to offer.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

I just play mine on an Onkyo CD player and they sound awesome.But now that you bring it up, I have a separate Onkyo BluRay/ 5.1 system I could play them on. Will compare systems.... Glad you caught some shows. Don’t let anybody tell you that you couldn’t have fun at a ‘95 show (except Deer Creek, that was a head scratcher, and the wind carried the tear gas into the venue). Update: 5.1 through the home theater system doesn’t sound that good. My stereo system with 2 Bose speakers and a Bose subwoofer sounds way better. The key is to turn it up to 11.....
user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

My 12+ year old Dennon DVD/SACD/DVD-A player is the only equipment I own that decodes HDCD. I never use it anymore and simply play 90% of these releases in my car. I've read that you don't have to have a player that decodes HDCD to get play back bennifets. These disks sound good to me and I'm happy. I do wish that my car stereo system was louder though.
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

DaP 25 is good, not great. Killer Half-Step, rare and well sung/Jerry got all the lyrics off! Dupree's, hot Jack Straw, tasty T.Jed and a fun TMNS in the first set. Second set 3rd disc is the go to disc here with a nice St.Stephen>Drums>NFA>Wharf Rat with an EPIC and smokin' Truckin'. So starts off and finishes strong. The Betty Cantor feed off the soundboard mix is as sweet as you'd expect. Can't imagine we'll see many more '77 shows in the near future. Bring on the '78-85 era shows!
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

....I read adjectives like Killer, Hot, Tasty, Fun and Epic. Good, I guess. Even Garcia's fills in Sunrise are surprising. You know what was Killer? The Vegas Golden Knights scoring three goals in 53 seconds against Calgary in the final two minutes of tonights game. Now THAT was fun, hot, tasty, epic and killer. All in a tidy, amazing package. But I digress....
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

....smokin' and nice.Word to the wise. If you get too picky, you'll never be satisfied. ;) Buzzed, but still on point? Like Tony the Tiger said over, and over. "It's Grate!" At least to me. And, in the end, that's what counts. I love this show.
user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/list-of-hdcd-compatible-players.3… There are also a few receiver/amps that decode HDCD; I have the Harmon Kardon 520, which does. I also got a NAD C542 off Ebay years ago, just because all the GD releases were in HDCD. Does the HDCD decoding make a difference? Given that one cannot simply turn off a player's decoding process, the world may never know. From what little I know about it, the process may offer a lower noise floor. That might hypothetically allow the musical sounds to have a bit more audible attack and decay, but I really don't know.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

....I see you. Check out Jerry shooting off flares at the 2:30 mark of NFA. Keith lighting the fuse. An auditory version of a stand mixer. When all the ingredients meld together right, it forms the perfect cake. And it's hard to find someone who doesn't like cake. Even my dog faces his head to the speaker when he's napping.
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Are we back to grousing about the '80s again? It's like Groundhog Day, that subject. Here's an idea: all of you '80s advocates draw up a petition requesting a BOXZILLA 2, which would be comprised solely of every '80s show contained in the vault. Every last one. Rustle up an impressive army of signatures. Send them to Dave, to Warner, and to Rhino. Demand that they have the shows Norman-ized (as much as Normanly possible) and released in one massive musical windfall. Like a magical piñata of synth-pop Brent Dead. Of course, I'm sure the price will be too high. And the ordering will be a cluster-fuck nightmare. And it will sell out too quickly. And some people won't have gotten the email. And the packaging will suck. And the artwork will have too many skeletons with beards. And the discs will skip ("Dr. Rhino! Paging Dr. Rhino!") But AT LEAST you will have actively done something to finally get your hands on official releases of those oh so coveted, unfairly maligned '80s shows. And those of us who primarily traverse the timeline between '68 and '78 (and occasionally '89-'90) will finally know...peace.
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

Great lil unassuming CDP. It's got all the flash internals, yet easy to use and quick functionality. I got mine from a local Crutchfield dealer @ a killer dealio.HDCD encoded CDs sound fab on it. I normally go vintage tube monoblocks with the GoGD, but it's fun to mix it up occ. with my 1978 Sansui 990DB solid state rig. Loads of headroom at 125WPC for those crushing "Phil Zone" shows......like ummmm DaP 24 most definitely is. Yep. I prefer my skeletons with a **cough, cough** Deadhead wreath of Roses too. Lols.
user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

"Are we back to..blah,blah,blah?" No. We're not. You are. Why don't you enjoy what you enjoy and not lend to groundhog day?Why the fuck has everybody got to keep on slamming what others in the same boat are hoping for? Are we all not on the same boat? Ship Of Fools? WTF? Snarky fuck.
user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

Just found out Ray Thomas died back on the 4th of January. Sad, what a great multi instrumentalist who wrote some of the great classic Moody Blues songs. Legend of a Mind comes to mind as one of his. Now we will never get to hear the classic Moodies reunion that I so hoped would happen. Via con Dios my friend.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Arrived in my mailbox on Monday. Half-Step blows my socks off as does the rest of the 1st set. Where can I get a pair of tye-dye of Grateful Dead themed sock garters? Set break and the 2nd set is good to go, but really soars from Saint Stephen thru Truckin' with a Johnny B. Good thown in for good measure. Sunrise is a absolutely beautiful song and well preformed by Donna here, but seems somewhat out of place in the whole contest of this show. I am going to visit a grave of a close friend soon and I think I'll play it as I get close to the cemetery and Jack's grave site. It'll do the trick, I think. Great package with front cover art by Tim McDonagh and good essay by Rob Bleetstein and good archival input from Nick Meriwether. But how does this 11/06/77 compare to 11/05/77 Rochester (Dick's Picks 34) or 11/04/77 Colgate (Dave's Picks 12) or 11/02/77 Toronto (split 'tween DiP34 & DaP12)? All three are great in my opinion. Well worth it.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

you'll be entertained here. 60s! 70s! 80s! Brent! Not Brent! 80s! Not 80s! Great! Merely good! Jerry would not approve! and the list from SkullTrip. get to know these statements, and you'll fit in to our motley ship of fools crew. and once a year, just type, "What about Gainesville?"
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

SUBSCRIBE to Dave's Picks. just do it.
user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

8.5.74 ~ Wall of Sound May 1977 3.10.81 ~ MSG 7.8.81 7.12.89 ~ RFK
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 8 months

Those shows are Fun, Sound was good, plenty of SBD's to Dial in! You know the likes of: Hershey Park Saratoga Blossom Music Center Merriweather Post Pav. Just a thought!
user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

1st set is a maniac of energy, full blown in your face crazy balls to the wall. The laid back Scarlet-Fire is a welcome relief to a more laid back break from the intensity. The 3rd disk is back to crazy balls to the wall energy. great release when you are in the mood for incredible in your face energy. '72 is still a better approach to the music for my tastes,certainly less fatiguing. This release is when you are in the mood for loud bombastic classic late '77 concerts.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

name this pianist (hee hee...I said pianist...) BAHMBAHMBAHMBAHMBAHMBAHMBAHM!!!!! no complaints. just not very subtle.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

a treasure trove, yes.
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

So we're still missing the beginning of set 2 from 11/2, right? or am I just missing it? Was splicing together a playlist via the bonus material on DaP12 and DP34 this morning so I could listen to all three nights in succession but noticed Samson, Ship of Fools, Good Lovin, and Sunrise were not on either release. Ill patch them in from somewhere else I suppose. 72LiveDead, agreed on all accounts!
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I second that.. this one dovetails nicely into the other shows/segments from this tour that have been released. For future listening I might just listen to them sequentially instead of one show at a time. I believe this tour represents a bellwether of sorts for what's to come in 78/79 and ultimately the 80's and beyond. This release makes for a nice, enjoyable listen. ah.. '85. An under-rated year in my opinion. Good to see it get some love. So what do we have officially released from '85, just Riverbend and Richmond? I'm a little biased because I was caught the Richmond run, what's the general consensus of these two releases? The 20 years so far tour.. Man, the band went through a lot of changes in those final ten years.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 11 months

Still waiting for this one to arrive on my doorstep but according to tracking it's still a few days away most likely. Annoying but there are certainly worse problems to have. Thankfully there is no shortage of music to keep me occupied in the meantime (currently listening to DaP 2 at work). On a totally unrelated topic, I was happy to see both War on Drugs and The National win a Grammy the other night. I loved both their new albums this year - well worth your time if you haven't checked them out. Both bands are fun to see live as well if they come to your town...
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

I are a snarky fuck. This is true. At least on certain days. But read my post objectively, and you'll see that I was just offering what I think is a viable solution to a common, recurring complaint. Not necessarily the box set (that MAY have been a little over the top), but the idea of those who may feel overlooked or misrepresented collectively doing something to change the current trend. Otherwise, we're all just a "Ship of Fools" bickering amongst ourselves while the boat goes wherever it wants to. I think its generally acknowledged that there's been a sore lack of 80s released as part of the Dave's series. But if grumbling here below deck doesn't change course, then take it to the Captain's quarters. My other more obvious point, I think, is that you can't make everyone happy. And regardless of which era the show hails from, there will always be grousing and grumbling about something. Others seem to have gotten that point. Now excuse me while I go listen to New Year's Eve '87.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Only 3 songs are still unreleased from 11/2/77, I believe. We got Sunrise in a 30 Days of Dead a few years back... Agree that the 11/2, 11/4, 11/5, 11/6/77 is a phenomenal "box set" and glad they released that "block" of shows - listening to all of them this week. The previous 4 shows in the run aren't quite as consistent AS A GROUP, though 10/29/77 Dekalb by itself is, in my opinion, the best show of this tour and possibly of all of '77. 11/1 Detroit is high energy, but set 2 is a tab brief. The Truckin' is ragged but right with two attempts at the big crescendo that still doesn't ring the bell nearly as well as 11/6/77. 1985 is a sentimental year for me as well. 6/27 thru 7/1/85 is a nice little run of shows, though very wobbly in some parts. It's a shame all the high-Q 80's recordings are in RV3's collection instead of the vault. Maybe a deal could be worked out: "Tapes provided through the assistance of RV3 Enterprises, LLC" :)
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I wish they would release something from the '84 - '88 time frame thats independant of an investment of hundreds of dollars for a box. The band, and Jerry in particular were performing well in '87 and '88. Even lot's of gems from winter/spring '89. Crisler Arena and the Mecca from S'89 are fabulous, even transcendant. Lots of gems throughout the '80s (and '90) at Cal Expo, Shoreline, the Greek, Red Rocks, Alpine Valley, Deer Creek, Autzen Stadium, Irvine, Henry J Kaiser, Laguna Seca, The Frost, and...and ...and... That Florida/Louisiana/Texas run in October '88 is pretty nice too. All of the Compton Terrace shows were strong. If they put out my first show, 7/1/84, I'll shut up.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I second that.. stop hording, RV3, cough up the missing reels! I am clearly not an 80's hater, but I have to agree with thin on this one.. there was more care (and money) spent back when they had a sound engineer, including Bear, record these on reels. I am very thankful for Dave Dave's Picks all and that he does, primarily for giving us great sonic, often mind blowing musical injections a few times a year but also for his distracted seaside release chants.. That being said, I have delved pretty deep into the road trips lately, they are a little maligned and I could use for more release diversity to the extent it's possible. I still think of Dave's Picks 8, 11/30/1980 Fox Theatre, Atlanta as a particularly good release and the sound is quite good. For that matter, I think the 4/6/82 road trips sounds good enough for release, but I know some will argue that point and I respect their opinions.
user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

I attended a show in 85, at the USF sundome toward the end or October. Good show, great crowd and fun party favors everywhere, Jerry wasted but still on fire. flash ahead to 88 and you are right Spacebrother, those 88 shows in Fla were great, saw the 2 in St. Petersburg, second was Bobby's birthday show, the city closed all the streets around the arena and we partied for 3 days, Jerry looked tired but still gave it his all. great times with great friends, man, I miss those days and Jerry too.
user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

9/3/8011/28/80 11/30/80 5/6/81 5/16/81 12/9/81 4/6/82 7/31/82 8/7/82 10/14/83 10/21/83 10/12/84 6/24/85 11/1/85 5/3/86 7/24/87 7/26/87 9/18/87 12/31/87 4/1/88 7/3/88 4/2/89 4/3/89 7/4/89 7/7/89 7/12/89 7/13/89 7/17/89 10/8/89 10/9/89 10/16/89 10/26/89 3/14/90 3/15/90 3/16/90 3/18/90 3/19/90 3/21/90 3/22/90 3/24/90 3/25/90 3/26/90 3/29/90 3/30/90 4/1/90 4/2/90 4/3/90 6/16/90 7/8/90 9/16/90 10/27/90 6/14/91 6/20/91 9/10/91 9/25/91 3/20/92 12/16/92 3/27/93 5/26/93 10/1/94 2/21/95 Officially released shows --- (or very close to full shows...e.g. Downhill From Here contains most of 7/17/89 but also has a few songs from 7/19/89) I'd say we are a lucky bunch but I'll happily take more as long as they don't sound any worse than 8/7/82.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Where's the Anthem of the Sun 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition? And what about Gainesville?
user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

No problems. More 80's? More everything! Fuck Gainesville!
user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

I find this ongoing reference humorous, even though I don't necessarily get it...not familiar with that show, but I assume it was a good one from this oft-overlooked era. You people are funny. And that's one pretty decent looking 80's - 90's list too.... Sixtus
user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Keith was using an electric piano that had little to no touch sensitivity. It could either be turned up or not, but there was no room for playing soft styled notes (called "piano"), due to the fact that it had inline pickups that were not designed to catch the resonance you get out of a real piano, which in turn gives you the ability to play soft (piano) or loud (forte). The only instrument Keith chose to play was an acoustic piano and Fender Rhodes. Those were all he used before the 74 breakup. After that, he was coerced into using synths, organs, and electric grand / baby grand pianos. Coerced by...I don't know for a fact which band member(s) but I would be surprised if it was anyone but Jerry. I prefer the acoustic pianos he used before they went on hiatus, mixed with the Fender Rhodes. Goodness me they were incredible. He also used the acoustic piano in 1976. The reason for the change was partly due to (we'll just say Jerry) wanting to change up the Dead's sound, which was the same reason Mickey Hart came back to the fold. I mention Mickey because the onstage volume became huge when he was there, which made it very difficult to mic and monitor an acoustic piano. It's the same reason Bobby spoke of ditching the Gibson hollow-body in favor of the thin sounding Ibanez. He just couldn't hear himself anymore (especially once Jerry re-incorporated the Wolf + two drummers + Keith's electric piano). So then he went with the thin upper register sounding rig. It was a strange time for the band's sound. There was this domino effect that soon had everyone changing their instruments. Thought you would be interested in the reason for the "heavy handed" sound of the playing. Love it in Truckin' from DaP 25.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Good show, not Grate. The Stephen sandwich is what I'll come back for. And the first set is particularly good for a set I, but it's still a first set with stupid Bob cowboy songs. I liked the Road Trips (RT) because I mostly listen to big set II jam sequences, but understand "it's a full show or nothing" mentality. The sound I think is a little flat for a Betty board. Nice to have the full November '77 run. All and all I give it a solid B. Welcome aboard Caveman. Saw all three of those '95 Vegas shows, that was one hell of a messed up scene. Besides the Spring of '90, those were probably the best shows I actually attended. Although RFK '92 was hot hot hot. I think Dave & Co have done a good job of releasing 80's shows, someone posted the full list below. The 80's are where a good RT series would work because those shows have so many sound and flubbed playin' issues. Stick to the 70's Dave, at least if you are staying w/ the full show format.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

The one-time only pairing of Shakedown Street and Franklin's Tower isn't the only thing this show has going for it. http://www.dead.net/show/november-29-1980 Alabama Getaway Promised Land Candyman New Minglewood Blues Row Jimmy Mama Tried Mexicali Blues Althea Lost Sailor Saint of Circumstance Don't Ease Me In Shakedown Street Franklin's Tower Estimated Prophet He's Gone Truckin' drums The Other One Stella Blue Good Lovin' Casey Jones
product sku