• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

I'd read somewhere that Keith's being pressured to transition over to electric pianos/keyboards frustrated him creatively. Since he was fairly laid-back and non-confrontational, he did his best to go with the flow, but increasingly felt more and more stifled. That may explain why in certain shows from mid/late '78 he sounds like he's just banging out chords. Might be true, might not. It all rolls into one after awhile. Regardless, the keyboard reigned king throughout the 80s. The Dead, like many 60s and 70s bands, had to adapt to survive. Brent was key (pun intended) to that survival, and definitely ushered in the new sound Jerry and the boys were looking for. But I agree -- that 11/6/77 "Truckin'" is an absolute monster.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Ok, now I get it. Thanks Wilfred. Indeed, Shakedown & Franklin's is sick. Must check out.. So, WHAT ABOUT GAINSVILLE??? Sixtus edit: So, about Gainsville.... had to start with the second set opener...holy shit...THAT TRANSITION into FRANKLIN's TOWER!!! This is what it's all about folks. It's a really good audience recording as well...most excellent. Consider me schooled. https://archive.org/details/gd80-11-29.wise.sacks.2409.sbeok.shnf/gd80-…
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

I believe the grand was still in use for the magnificent May 77 tour and into June. I think it is just this late 77 and the 78 tours that involved the heavy handed electric piano sound. Honestly I always thought the crew was behind that move because they didnt want to move the heavy piano around. Pure conjecture on my part, but it is well documented that the crew had clout within the organization and perhaps too much.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

11/29/80 is Gainsville. The shows on either side have been released, but Gainesville hasn't. Why? Because the copy in circulation is the best AUD you'll ever hear (along with 8/6/71). I can't imagine the SBD sounds better than the AUD - it's that good, and makes you feel like you're right there, 20th row center. And the show is a glorious rip-roaring romp. Thanks for posting Mustin - surprisingly long list of released 80's shows. Who knew?! Suprising how few '91 shows have been released. At the time I thought they sounded amazing and scooped up all the '91 recordings I could find. Though not as strong and consistent as '90, there are a lot of good, releasable shows.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Well then, making a AAA+ Matrix shouldn't be too much of a problem.. Did somebody mention Gainesville?
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

lol... Fuck it, or what about it, it would be a great release. Pardon the derp, but when was 11/28/80 released? I have 11/30/80 official, and a copy of Gainesville set 2, but don't recall 11/28/80 mumble mumble...
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Matrix recording of 11/29/80 would NOT suck. Hmmmm... Gainesville... Wait - Did someone say Gainesville?
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Pretty rockin' good show. Opens with a nice 1/2 Step too... DaP25 is a pretty average release IMO... I prefer Colgate and Rochester, but I agree that the 1/2 Step, Dupree's, Jack Straw, and Tenn Jed are all standouts in the first set, (I like the FOTD too, though I am not a huge fan of the slower versions,) and that the Truckin' is HOT! Oh, what about Gainesville, indeed! RIP Tom Petty Peace
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I didn't get the email about TTATS, so I missed out. jk. I couldn't swing the $$$ for TTATS. Gainesville sounds really nice on the archive right now. never heard the 1st set before. what a great band.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I have a close show to the one you reefered to (yes, reefered). 1/30/78, also from the Uptown Theatre in Chicago. It has one of those awesome awesome 1978 Stellas, and then a Franklin's Tower, which....ok, Franklin's standalone really rocked out on the Wolf in 1978. I'll have to check out your 1/31 recommend...reeferal. Glad you caught up to the Tom Petty news :D Good info on Keith's piano DarkStar. I love his sound on DP 18, Estimated Prophet. Sounds electric, but definitely with some effect on it (kind of harpsichord-like). I would love to hear from someone with real personal knowledge, or at least someone who could identify exactly what he used on some of these releases. There are some references on Wiki, but it's very vague and does not cover the wide range of sounds I've heard him use. Maybe I'll see if Donna will let me write her Biography. She would know.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

pet peeve as a teacher: you hand out new pencils with erasers. within two days some yahoo has broken off _all the erasers_. and the kids always say, "I need an eraser!" the things we put up with in life. eraser vandalism, bearded skeletons, etc.
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Found a few extra erasers on this end. You know, if anyone needs one. Or two. I'm the bearded skeleton at the small desk by the door...
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

isn't a bearded skeleton, but he can get on my nerves sometimes. kind of like the bearded skeletons get on some posters' nerves. "I don't WANT to do math! Math is stupid!" grr...
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Sure. Go ahead and start a petition. Get all the signatures you can find. I'll be the first to sign. Then send it to Dave and the boys in a nice big envelope decorated with fancy artwork. Just like back in the days when mail ordering for tickets. Be sure not to include any bearded skeletons in the design (because evidently those suck too) so that Dave knows just how serious you are about the lack of representation of your prized era. Then wait. Then wait some more. Then, when nothing changes, badger him with emails, maybe another letter, and be sure to complain on this site a lot. A real lot. You want to know why nothing will change? Dave already has your money. You keep subscribing. He keeps raising the production each year to match demand and each release continues to sell out. You keep handing over money and then complain. You really want things to change? Stop subscribing. Simple as that. Stop buying the product. Nothng will grab Dave's attention more than a sharp decline in sales. Not that the dozen or so of you malcontents will make much difference, but at least it's a start. But, also know this. Dave surely understands that if he starts pumping out 80s shows in this series, he runs the risk of the rest of us leaving.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Just got my first buy from Grateful Dead real gone music. Road trips vol 4 # 3 Denver 1973. I paid 44 bucks. Just got my Dave’s 25 and jammed it on my newly re built pioneer CS-99a’s from the 1970’s sounded great. Once I Play the real gone road trips I will let everyone know what I think. I like the packaging. Old school plastic triple cd like the old days.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I personally don't care, but some people did complain. in the immortal words of Squidward: "whaaaatever." in the "What about" department: what about bearded clams? Warty venus with a goatee, anyone? I am 54, going on 12...
user picture

Member for

8 years 3 months

And what does a ticketless bearded skeleton have to do with the "Wall of Keys" gig? A missed opportunity to be at least a bit topical ala 23 cover art? Could be. But then again.....whatever.
user picture

Member for

8 years 3 months

And what does a ticketless bearded skeleton have to do with the "Wall of Keys" gig? A missed opportunity to be at least a bit topical ala 23 cover art? Could be. But then again.....whatever.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Never had it on cassette.Never heard it. You say it’s good? Generally don’t listen to AUD but if there’s a good recording I’ll check it out. Keith’s pianner, I really dig it on the GD Movie. Vguy, I thought you liked the Flames? Man you switched allegiances fast.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

give it a listen.
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Said it better than I could, and without being a bit facetious (my usual default mode). My straw hat off to you...
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Thanks. But, I still like your post a lot more.
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Another great release, of a pretty rocking show, in a city close to my heart. This one is getting repeat play here on the Wharf. 2/26/77? Yes, please. I love a good AUD recording. My most recent cosmic pull back to the GOGD was facilitated by stumbling across the Listening Guide. http://www.deadlistening.com/2009/02/listening-trail-best-auds-ever.html But What About Gainesville?
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

This thread has become quite comical. I have a box of erasers I would like to donate. Does anyone have a copy of the new Gainesville Matrix?
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....Gainesville doesn't hold a candle to Santa Fe. Pick any of the three shows. Go on. Pick one! Do you hear me?As far as Calgary goes, I was just rooting for a good game, and the last two minutes had it in spades. Vegas "erased" that lead quicklike. Love the Flames. Love the Knights more. It's like comparing 1977 to 1972. Fine lines....#vegasborn
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

It was just pointed out that the link I posted a few days ago somehow got corrupted. Here's a new one:https://www.dropbox.com/s/vq0acpf9yzakexr/Dave%27s%2025%20SQUARE%20%2AF… I made scans of both CD and Booklet covers (each is cropped slightly differently) and combined the two so that none of the artwork is lost. I then extended the top and bottom to “square” the image (some like square format for itunes, phones, etc.) Color-matching on this one was nutty thanks to Tim McDonagh’s sizzling, but analogous color palette. Enjoy & pass around as needed,
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 3 months

go to your CD collection, reach your hand out in an intuitive, instinctive, yet un-expectant, "random" manner. The first CD your hand actually touches is the one you put on, and listen to. It's what the universe wants you to hear, right now ;)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 3 months

after I post one or two times. So if I miss some PMs, I am very sorry. I know there are a few (very few, lol) people who send me PMs anymore. But let me just say that I appreciate your well wishes, even if I never read the replies, or responded to them. You know who you are. Thank you.
user picture

Member for

8 years 3 months

If you own any/all early Dave's Picks. Amirite or wot?!? Not a Bit-Coin millionaire, but Dave did it for me. Lols. Thats Gainesville '80 show would make for a very nice official release 3 day run of shows.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 3 months

I hear ya. but I do believe Neal Cassady would know better what I'm talking about. Funny thing though, I was more familiar with the I Ching before I was turned onto the Dead, even at an early age. The fact that the two intersected at some point, was a complete surprise to me ;) Never mind though. Back to your regularly scheduled programming...
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Damn. The potato's back in my hands. Well, at least it feels a little cooler after its trip around the board.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....load me a bowl.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Nice analysis of how and why the bands sound changed after 1974. I have never read of a reason why Weir changed from a Gibson hollow body to and Ibanez-but what you say makes sense. Having said that, the Dead cd I was listening to this morning was Dicks Picks 28, which features highlights from 26th and 28th February 1973. The photographs inside show Weir playing a Gibson SG, which has been used by some very loud guitarists-Angus Young, Tony Iommi and Pete Townsend come to mind. Maybe there was another reason why he retired that one. Maybe he liked the thin sound of the Ibanez! I haven't received the new Daves Picks yet. The 1973 shows quoted above are excellent-very much featuring the earlier non bombastic Dead. There is so much clarity in the sound, with no distortion or use of volume for dramatic effect. Very untypical for a rock band from 1973. I do like the heavier handed approach of 1977-1978, and am looking forward to hearing the new release-but the playing in 1973 (and 1972 and 1974) was of a different order entirely.
user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Thanks for the feedback regarding HDCD players. It looks like it's going to be difficult finding a player that decodes HDCD. Microsoft owns the rights to the technology, and it didn't become a mainstream digital source. Either way, we're lucky to have high quality GD.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Thanks MidwayKid for this reminder about the reissue - / Real Gone series. I had missed out on the Denver '73 Road Trips back in the day for whatever reason and indeed found it there. Gotta round it out I say. As for Gainesville, that one picked up some serious steam on this thread and I've been spending ample time with this very fine audience recording over the past 18 hours or so. Not being all too familiar with the explicit year of 1980, aside from the scant officially released shows / compilations, I definitely find this show packed full of energy. I think in the past I sort of subconsciously avoided this year, and early 80s in particular due to the fact that inherently, the songs were shorter and thus I assumed less jammy or intense or whatever. What I have learned, however, as my ears and attitude got adjusted to the different style & take on how they played (aka...fast/faster), I've learned they are very good at "getting to the point" in the jams, hence things moving along a little more quickly than if they took their sweet ass time. I am happy with myself that I've sort of stuck with it in that sense, and allowed my ears/mind/expectations to fall in-line with the reality of their playing during this period. I'll also say that 30 Trips helped to break down this barrier for me as well, even if the sound quality on a few of those are a bit questionable. Nonetheless, I'd never have been exposed to this Gainesville phenomenon as well as a lot of other gems without the input from Yous All - Appreciation Factor = Level 69 Sixtus
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

Uncle John's Band Playin' in the Band Uncle John's Band Me and My Uncle Mexicali Blues Tennessee Jed Samson and Delilah Easy to Love You Althea Looks Like Rain Deal Feel Like a Stranger Ship of Fools Estimated Prophet Eyes of the World drums Saint of Circumstance Black Peter Sugar Magnolia Alabama Getaway Brokedown Palace https://archive.org/details/gd80-06-08.eaton.tome.7193.sbefail.shnf
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The following list was shamelessly lifted from Steve Hoffman Music Forums: Advance Acoustic MCD 204 (CD Player) Arcam Diva DV 79 (DVD Player) Arcam Diva DV 135 (DVD Player) Arcam Diva DV 137 (DVD Player) Arcam FMJ DV 139 (DVD Player) Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC (DAC) Cambridge Audio Azur 650 BD (Blu-ray Player) Cayin CDT-15A (CD Player) CyberHome CH-DVD 635 (DVD-Player) Denon DBP-A100 (Blu-ray Player) Denon DBP-4010UD (Blu-ray Player) Denon DVD-A1UD (Blu-ray Player) Denon DVD-A11 (DVD/SACD Player) Denon DVD-A1XV (DVD/SACD Player) Denon DVD-A1XVA (DVD/SACD Player) Denon DVD 2800 mk2 (DVD/SACD Player) Denon DVD-2910 (DVD/SACD Player) Denon DVD-2930 (DVD/SACD Player) Denon DVD-3800 (DVD/SACD Player) Denon DVD-3910 (DVD/SACD Player) Denon DVD-3930 (DVD/SACD Player) Harman/Kardon FL-8370 (CD Multi Disc Player) Harman/Kardon HD-750 (CD Player) Linn Majik CD (CD Player) Mark Levinson ML 37 (CD Player) Mark Levinson ML 39 (CD Player) Mark Levinson ML 390S (CD Player) Mark Levinson No. 36 (DAC) Mark Levinson ML 360 (DAC) Mark Levinson ML 360S (DAC) Music Hall CD 25 (CD Player) NAD C 542 (CD Player) NAD M5 (SACD/CD Player) NAD M55 (SACD/DVD Player) NAD T 585 (SACD/DVD Player) Naim CDX2 (CD Player) Naim CD5x (CD Player) Naim CDS3 (CD Player) Naim CD555 (CD Player) OPPO BDP-80 (Blu-ray Player) OPPO BDP-83 (Blu-ray Player) OPPO BDP 93 (Blu-ray Player) OPPO BDP 95 (Blu-ray Player) OPPO DV-980H (DVD Player) OPPO DV-981HD (DVD Player) OPPO DV-983H (DVD Player) Original CD-A8T (CD Player) Panasonic DVD-S52 (DVD Player) Pioneer DVR-550H-S (DVD Player) Restek EPOS (CD Player) Rotel RCD-02 (CD Player) Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player) Rotel RCD-991 AE (CD Player) T+A CD3000R (CD Player) Toshiba SD 500E (DVD Player) Vincent S1.1 (CD Player) Vincent S3 (CD Player) Vincent S5 (CD Player) Vincent S6 (CD Player) Personally I have a Naim CDX2 and I can highly recommend it.
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

Easily the best AUD I've ever heard. This show is top notch. I see what all the hype is about.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Nothing brings me out of Lurkerville like a reference to the #1 item on my Grateful Wishlist - Alaska 1980. For years I've begged for a "Grateful Dead in the Land of the Midnight Sun" box - all kinds of art possibilities. But I must say, "Basked Alaska" is a fine title too. Also, I saw there was some discussion of Keith's piano in the Fall '77 shows. According to Blair Jackson in "Dead Gear" Keith didn't switch from the grand piano to the Yamaha electric grand until "summer 1978." He indicates that Keith changed to the electric grand piano because it was easier to transport (important for going to Egypt, for example). Ironically the damn things still needed to be tuned, and the piano tuner didn't show up in Egypt. That is so Grateful Dead. Anyhoo ... if you look at this video of 12/30/77 you can see that he's still playing the traditional grand piano. Good shot of it just before the 32:00 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqZP8ihyfs8&list=RDyqZP8ihyfs8&t=1916 So I think the sound of his piano in the fall shows really is due to him pounding away on the chords, and keeping his foot firmly on the echo pedal.
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Headliners at Lockn for two nights.
product sku