• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I caught the Ann Arbor show. Epic. Definitely in the top 5 concerts of all time I have personally attended. I wouldn't mind hooking up with some recordings of this tour myself. Pro shot video from 11/4/17 : The Capitol Theatre Full Show
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

And not just Red Rocks Listened to 7/3 today, now working on 7/1. Spending the day on the couch with a hang over, and GOGD. Uh, lovemygirl, DaP 26 was announced weeks ago. It’s from 71.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

I've been waiting a long time to say this, but isn't that photo the spectacular "New Bridge" in Ronda, Málaga, Spain? Apart of that, why toss overboard anyone, it isn't sometimes what adds a sense of a group of people that dissent an discuss nearly everything related with the music we all love? -:) And in the end, who cares?
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Just toss out the troll or two, I think is all AJS meant. Nobody wants negativity and personal attacks for simply mentioning nonsellout status of a box set, or dislike of an album or performance. Be much more relaxed atmosphere here.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....the only thing I care about is that my ears still work. I try and keep it simple. Oh, and Brady sucks. See? It's easy!! Go Knights Go!. A child could figure it out. I ramble when I'm drunk. Guess what I am?
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

or short shoutout to 12/7/71 gave it a second full listen today peppy performance Smokestack Lightning for the grease Truckin' for the rock 'n roll NFA > GDTRFB > NFA for the jam
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

It would be fine but I like more Spanish wine and, yes the occasional german beer. Yes, train, i caught it, but the point was not about ajs, it was that we have one or two "trolls" and ¿so what? I work as a webmaster and moderator on social networks, and I sometimes hate it, because I found there are a lot of trolls, but the type that have really bad intentions,. you know? It wasn't a post against ajs opinions.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

I want a 70 box and I want it now. As for Brady, dear VGuy, it's about that guy who plays American football, excuse me, but I don't know that nuch about that. I have headaches every time I turn on television and all is Real Madrid and FC Barcelona, Cristiano Ronaldo y Messi, pff... I usually change the channel... -:)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Or crazy, or fool. It's like that.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

I think that it probably qualifies to believe such a thing it's possible.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Did someone mention good Spanish wine, now you have my attention.. Not dissing a good margarita from time to time though.. 1969 with Mountains of the moon.. what if the Moon held an orbit the same distance away from the Earth as the ISS? You could see the mountains of the moon with the naked eye. Spent the day skiing in the backcountry with a pair of headphones on.. bagged 5/3/72 and the second set of 5/4/72. Got most of 11/4/77 and 2/24/74 on the drive too and from. Happy day, but alas... no good Spanish wine or margaritas.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

listening currently (via archive) sounds good Jack Straw is...unique. I love the cover art on this release.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

If it were that close they wouldn't have had to fake the moon landing on a Hollywood film set.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

https://archive.org/details/gd1972-07-26.sbd.GEMS.87034.flac16 Grateful Dead Live at Paramount Theater on 1972-07-26 by Grateful Dead Publication date 1972-07-26 (check for other copies) Topics soundboard, GEMS, Jamie Waddell, Todd Evans Collection GratefulDead Band/Artist Grateful Dead Resource DeadLists Project Set 1: d1t01 - Tuning d1t02 - Cold Rain And Snow d1t03 - Black Throated Wind d1t04 - Mississippi Half-Step d1t05 - Mexicali Blues d1t06 - Sugaree d1t07 - El Paso d1t08 - China Cat Sunflower > d1t09 - I Know You Rider d1t10 - Jack Straw d2t01 - Tennessee Jed d2t02 - Playing In The Band d2t03 - Casey Jones Set 2: d2t04 - The Promised Land d2t05 - He's Gone d2t06 - Me And My Uncle d2t07 - You Win Again d2t08 - Greatest Story Ever Told d2t09 - Ramble On Rose d3t01 - Dark Star > d3t02 - Comes A Time d3t03 - Sugar Magnolia d3t04 - Brown Eyed Women d3t05 - Beat It On Down The Line d3t06 - Stella Blue d4t01 - Not Fade Away > d4t02 - Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad > d4t03 - Not Fade Away Encore: d4t04 - One More Saturday Night
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I heard that on cassette years ago in a special state of mind :)))
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

Your right, sorry folks. I meant to write- daves pick #27 -1968 ;)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I’m finally getting a decent stereo system, and I’m looking to get a good HDCD player. Any recommendations on one that’s pretty good and doesn’t cost 3 grand? Thanks in advance!!! Also, as always dig the release. Great first set. Slow Scarlet Fire, which is different but good. Favorite is TMNS on this one.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

As a lifelong Eagles fan, my god I thought this day would never come. Bliss. Pure bliss....
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Did Don Felder, like, just get back together with Henley and Walsh?
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Laughed so hard after I read that I think I cracked a rib. Brilliant.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

When I was at the bottom of the ravine taking that photo, a young couple asked me, "Where on earth have you seen anything like this?" My response. "Nowhere. That is why I am down here." I took what I learned in all those glorious years of touring, throughout the 80s in fact, and have transformed it into touring the world. That is why I visited Ronda and many other places. I visit this site to learn. Not to read gibberish about releasing 80s shows. So, when you ask, "Who cares?" I do.
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

...is the fucking man. At least in my book. Because he makes words sit so nicely together.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Pushing for 80s releases on this site isn't trolling. This isn't The 70-s Only Dead Page, this is The 65-95 Dead page. Pushing for the release of Dead shows here ain't "trolling", it's devotion. The "Era Debate" has gotten hateful in the past (If Brent was alive, he would kill himself after reading some comment threads). This morning I thought "I hope Thin's posts haven't gotten Space triggered. Thin's factually correct and his statements are rationally reasoned, but he is kinda harping on the trope overmuch." Sure enough, the build-up to hostilities is underway... It has been a nice while since our last Era Wars outbreak and there are new voices here. For those seeing this for the first time: The Era Wars are essentially about the desire by a sizeable portion of our community to see most or all GDM releases be from their Dead sweetspot, generally 68-78. The "war" is fraught with tension as the are real stakes: the potential impact of statements on the content of future releases. The overly committed voices on each side are concerned about getting what they want from GDM. Both sides have insatiable appetites and GDM has a limited number of release slots to fill each year. This situation can create some very heated hyperbole and vitriol. This place is much more pleasant between wars. My personal opinions are that 80s Dead IS weaker than 70s Dead but that a regular rotation of all time periods in the release schedules would better represent the band and serve all corners of the fanbase. (just got 30T84 and 30T85. [The Dave L. essays within make Space look like an 80's-hater. And the essays are pretty much "pure hooey".] Compare 84's UJB/Playing/Dew to a 73/74 equivilant or 85's That's It For The Other One sandwich to any 68-71 TIFTO1 and it is clear that the Pre-80s Dead was much more EVERYTHING than the post-80 band... On the other hand, I really like how in the 80s Bobby and Mickey developed to cover the shrinkage of Jerry and Phil's territories in the sonic tapestry. Sorry to those who truly are hearing it differently, but that is how I hear it. I also don't enjoy post-86 Dylan, post-88 Springsteen, or post-82 Stones...)
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

That's a pretty good assessment of the situation, as I understand it. I can't think of any versions of classic Dead songs, from the 1968-1978 period, that sounded better when played from 1980 onwards. It was interesting how the band responded to the changing times, though. Shows with guests, particularly Branford Marsalis, always seem worth hearing in the later period. It might be presumptious to say so, but I would guess that everyone who loves the 1980s and 1990s Dead also loves the 1968-1978 versions of the band. But the reverse is less likely to be true. I wouldn't think as many people who love the earlier periods also love the later ones. If this is true, and it might not be, then maybe it would be best if the Daves Picks series continued to focus on 68-78, and that 1980 onwards releases were put out separately, so those who didn't want them didn't have to get them. I can remember feeling a bit cheated when it was announced that a 1981 show was going to be the next Daves Picks-but as I had (and have) paid for a subscription, I was stuck with having purchased something I didn't particularly want. Actually, I am not that crazy about another 1977 show being released, either. To me the classic period was late 1967-1974, although there are some great shows between 1976 and 1978. Maybe I will change my mind when I get to hear the new release.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Everyone please remain calm - while Seth was demonstrating a grenade, he wasn't thinking and pulled the pin.... Seth, love ya man.... I think you're right that 80's activists are about to erupt, but due to your comment more than mine. All I did was suggest Rhino overprinted the awesome '89 RFK box. But while fretting about whether I'm tempting the dreaded 80's debate, you pulled the pin on the grenade by declaring "80s Dead IS weaker than 70s Dead but that a regular rotation of all time periods in the release schedules would better represent the band and serve all corners of the fanbase.".... Then Daverock fans the flames by saying NO Dead tunes were better in the 80's than the 70's!!! Now you've done it.... RV3 and Spacebro's keyboards are melting they're typing so fast... Let's just put the pin back in the grenade here and pretend nothing happened before we wind up in the "Indignity-Olympics" free-for-all.... [FYI - The "what songs, if any, were better in the 80's" topic has come up before, and suggestions included Jack Straw, Looks Like Rain (with Bralove's midi/thunder effects), Bird Song, Terrapin, among many others.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Era debate or era wars it's always the same like Groundhog Day. But if someone is interested in my opinion, I like all eras. Until 77, maybe it was their classic era and the playing was better. Later tbey were increasing the repertoire. In fact, I think that the Shakedowns and others sounded better on the eighties than on the seventies. So, basically I agree with Daverock that most of the seventies songs sounded better on the seventies, but on the eighties we have a few new songs that I really like. I think this year Punxsutawney Phil has predicted 6 more weeks of winter. Good photo AJS.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Shirdeep.. that first pic of Garcia has got to be from the 84 Augusta show.. either that or Quasimodo somehow got a hold of Tiger and played us a tune. I find myself liking many songs throughout the years, I appreciate many of the changes in playing and orchestration and I miss some aspects that were dropped or were lost due to age and the ravages of time. Take Jack Straw.. there was an innocence and purity to the 72 versions - the song stood on it's own that year and was perhaps the strongest story-telling year for the song, but I feel parts were not fully developed.. 73/74 gave it a whimsical expressive quality, especially in Jerry's leads. The late 70's saw it take on some edge.. "we used to play for acid, now we play for Clive" and the instrumental pieces were amped up a good bit. Some of the 80's versions were explosive and feature some of Jerry's more energetic leads and in the 90's we get Bruce's influence, etc. It's like asking a parent which kid they like most and they honestly answer they love all their children the same.. There are good and bad aspects throughout.. I am more captivated and happy when I consider the finer points.. We could write a book on the changes of tunes like Dark Star and Eyes of the World.. There might be definitive versions of any song, but ignoring or dissing other versions is not what it's all about. Did someone mention 6/30/85?
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

I introduced the word troll to this discussion. Lambasting people for not buying an 80s release , or for offering critical music analysis about any Era IS trolling. This is exactly what happened here not too long ago, which is the event I was referring to. Just because somebody offers legitimate enthusiasm for the 80s does not mean they're not also a troll when they cross the line.
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

That 4/25 Capitol Theatre show really is a sweet little gem. Tickles my ear-sockets every time.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Dead of the Day: February 4, 1969The Music Box Omaha, Nebraska Over the years, February 4th has seen some wicked Dead shows, but the 1969 concert at the Music Box in Omaha, Nebraska is our Dead of the Day. There really are no highlights to the show because the entire show is off the hook. While the boys had not yet hit the apogee of their psychedelic sound – that would come later in 1969 – they still wail on this show. The Caution has to be one of the best ever with the vocal and instrumental vamping resonating the sound of a funky, hallucinogenic train rolling by on the tracks. Further, the Dark Star> Stephen> Eleven is on par with just about any other example of that classic trifecta. http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/02-04-1969
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I agree Skull, this one is exceptional among exceptionals. Audio and mix is perfect. Hot set list. Check out Bobby on Peggy O.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

Not even close
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Released: July 18th, 196850th Anniversary Announcement: ??? Drum Roll for the next 1968 vault release - Yes please. This should be the single greatest bit of news to flow through this site this year. ..and exactly how long has it been since we have seen a 1968 release anyway?
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The irony about the trolling discussion is that the biggest offenders are the ones who are tossing that term around. The clique will always be the clique here. Shmucks gang up on people, bully them and try to ostracise. Fake deadheads. '89 RFK box was released, what, like 2.5 months ago? Sold like 11k-12k in that period of time? It's outselling the July '78 "Betty board" box, which has been taking up warehouse shelf space for nearly 3 years now, if you look at it that way. In response to the "feeling shortchanged because Dave released an '81 show" commentary. Now you know how I feel with the whole series, and this goes back to the very beginning when the intitial advertisement promised great things by flashing dates from their full career. I think what Dave has released in this series is great, even if repetative. There are things I love and not keen about every era. Brent was a better keyboardist and vocalist, Jerry was in better shape earlier in his career, then '87 - '90. More focus and energy was put into the documentation aspect during time prior to and after '80 - '82. Blair Jackson's dissertation of the "Deader than thou" contingecy continues to ring true here.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

http://deaddisc.com/GDFD_Dead_By_Date.htm 1967 and 1968 Studio/live Anthem Of The Sun, Grateful Dead, 1968 Jan 20, 1968 1 song live Road Trips: Vol 2, No 2: Feb 14, 1968, Carousel, Grateful Dead, 2009 Jan 20, 1968 1 song live Road Trips: Vol 2, No 2: Feb 14, 1968, Carousel Bonus CD, Grateful Dead, 2009 Jan 23, 1968 2 songs live Road Trips: Vol 2, No 2: Feb 14, 1968, Carousel, Grateful Dead, 2009 Jan 23, 1968 5 songs live Road Trips: Vol 2, No 2: Feb 14, 1968, Carousel Bonus CD, Grateful Dead, 2009 Jan 30, 1968 1 song live Road Trips: Vol 2, No 2: Feb 14, 1968, Carousel Bonus CD, Grateful Dead, 2009 Feb 2, 1968 1 live song So Many Roads (1965-1995), Grateful Dead, 1999 Feb 2, 1968 1 song live Road Trips: Vol 2, No 2: Feb 14, 1968, Carousel, Grateful Dead, 2009 Feb 14, 1968 live Road Trips: Vol 2, No 2: Feb 14, 1968, Carousel, Grateful Dead, 2009 Feb 22-24, 1968 Live Dick's Picks, Vol. 22, Grateful Dead, 2001 March 16, 1968 3 live songs So Many Roads (1965-1995), Grateful Dead, 1999 March 17, 1968 Live Download Series, Vol. 6: 3/17/68, Grateful Dead, 2005 June 14, 1968 1 track Fillmore West 1969 Bonus Disc, Grateful Dead, 2005 Aug 13, 1968 3 live studio outtakes The Golden Road (1965-1973), Grateful Dead, 2001 Aug 23, 1968 3 live songs The Golden Road (1965-1973), Grateful Dead, 2001 Aug 23, 1968 3 live songs Two From The Vault, Grateful Dead, 2007 (exp edition) Aug 24, 1968 9 live songs Two From The Vault, Grateful Dead, 1992 Oct 20, 1968 Live 30 Trips Around The Sun Box Set, Grateful Dead, 2015 Late 1968 Recorded Aoxomoxoa, Grateful Dead, 1969
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I certainly didn't intend to offend anybody by my comments on the eras of the band, and I hope I didn't. They obviously wrote new songs and introduced new covers in their sets between 1980 and 1995. And incorporated new technology. And to me all this represented the state of play, more than reprising songs written years before. They wrote more songs in the 70s, and, maybe these were the songs that defined them, so they stayed in rotation. Maybe some were better played towards the end of their career. I said in an earlier post, that when I saw them in 1990, they played a version of "Black Peter" that was spine chilling. Also an excellent version of "Row Jimmy". But some of their bigger pieces suffered in comparison. I was thrilled when they played both "Lovelight" and "Dark Star" on the first and last nights in London in 1990. I didn't get to see them very often, so when I did, and they played "Dark Star"-well, it was the icing on the cake. But listening at home, nearly 30 years later, I have to say that neither this, or the "Lovelight" could hold a candle to the versions played between 1968 and 1972. But it was great hearing them on the night.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

You're either on the trolley-bus or you're not.
product sku