• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Dennis Edwards, a former lead singer of Motown pioneers the Temptations, sang on a string of the group's hits including "I Can't Get Next to You," "Ball of Confusion" and "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone." He joined in an initial tenure that stretched to 1977, has died. His family confirmed the news to CBS News. He was 74. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/temptations-lead-singer-dennis-…
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

And now for a change of pace. They just released a 7 cd box set of all of the music FZ played at the Roxy in '73. Very nice
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

8/31/78 had it for years. one my first tapes. 6 song first set (???), with classic versions of each. looooong second set chock full o' goodies. audience, with lots of "audience" in the first set. whichever way your pleasure tends, this is worth hearing.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

I love 1973 and find it bizarre that theres a 6 month swath of 1973 in the vault that is completely untouched. BUT if the HIGHLY-lauded and mythical Red Rocks box is now almost 2 years old and not sold out, I find it hard to believe this would be an immediate sellout (at the standard 15k units.) Though it would certainly sell better than the 1989 RFK box (ONLY 5,000 left! Hurry! - LOL) Agree the 6/10/73 Dead show is fantastic and would like to see it released, but my recollection of the ABB stage-sharing 3rd set is typical of most guest appearances - one imagines a fantasy pairing where giants stand on each others shoulders for previously unimaginable heights. 1+1 =3!!! But instead its executed with all the grace of a 3-legged race. Everyone's a little tentative trying to figure out whose solo it is, and not step on toes... Sure they execute the songs competently and its interesting to figure out who's playing what, but the musical product has no magical moments that pull me back. It's more curiosity than virtuosity... 1+1=0.8, musically. If I'm missing any TRULY golden moments from this set, please enlighten me. I also have trouble imagining the Allmans would allow an entire disc of Allmans/Dead to be released under the Dead label considering the bad blood that existed between the bands in later years (after Gregg's manager went to jail due to Gregg testifying against him in order to get immunity in a drug case where the manager was holding/sourcing HIS stash, and Jerry PUBLICLY shamed him for it in an interview.) But Dave & Co. found a compromise for the complicated returned Betty's situation, so maybe there's hope here too.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

RFK would likely sell more then Red Rocks 78.. but I cannot explain why Red Rocks has not sold out. It's a great box.. I would like to think they screwed the pooch marketing that one. They never tried for a second rush and took it off line for a couple months shortly after it went on sale due to the Music Today fiasco. Hype at dead.net for this box is almost non-existent now and in my opinion it isn't displayed prominently on the website. I still think it's a great box and I don't think Arrowhead circulates that freely (but I could be wrong on this point). RFK is another beast entirely though.. it's one of the classic pre-hiatus unreleased shows. I doubt of they release it at numbers under 18k. It's an interesting subject though.. I don't think it's a question of if it will get released, more a question of when. One day they will put their heads together and reach an agreement and get it out. ..and I think it will attract enough of the Allman Bros fan base that aren't rabid deadheads to make the numbers jump a little too. Here's to the day we get that announcement..
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

6/9/73 and 6/10/73 would be a smart release. ABB gets some cash, not just the GD. I don't know what it's like to wrangle the sums of money tenured bands deal with, but if I had a chance to get a seven-figure sum, I would freakin' do it. best of all, us crazies get some more classic, classic, classic music to listen to and enjoy for eternity.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

1621 remaining, according to David D. It didn’t go on sale in December, probably too soon to cut the price and piss off the rest of us. What did go on sale in December was the 8-27-72 CD/BluRay for $14 less than I paid 3-4 weeks earlier. That was annoying. I had the DVD but decided to buy the BluRay to see if it had a better picture. Nope, how could you improve grainy 1972 film. But it does have 24/192 audio. 78 Box is awesome, especially the non-Red Rocks shows that didn’t previously circulate. It’s not prominently displayed on the main page, but May 77 AME is. Jim has a good point about it disappearing for a few months, then reappearing, but was probably sidelined due to the May 77 hoopla. RFK 73 will sell out 20,000 units quickly. It’s hot, hot, hot. It’s pre-hiatus, which a lot of people want.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Some good points made. I think a lot of factors are involved. I think 1978 is not as lauded a year in Dead legend as say, 1977. I think if it had only been a two-show set with the Red Rocks nights, it would have sold out 15K pretty quickly. But for $129 and 5 shows from a year that's often regarded as "shakey" in terms of performance, I believe some folks either opted out, or bought 7/8 only. That is my second thought - the fact that 7/8 was the big cornerstone show of the box, and that it is available individually, must have hurt the box set sales (it's not like the Cornell box set, where there were several extremely popular shows included). Some folks are just nor "completists", and can sleep at night knowing there are available shows on the store shelf. I don't happen to be one of them - I broke out in a cold sweat when I got the news of the box set and didn't have my wallet nearby. Like Jim pointed out, it was available for download for a while. Who knows how many were sold. There are certainly a good deal of regular posters here who indicate they prefer downloads over physical product. Surely they represent a larger number of people who do not post regularly. There was also a lot of discussion when it was announced, that the set lists were not that much different from a good number of other releases, such as May and June 1977. The non-completists who may have considered a 1978 box may have decided against it because of this. This one may be a bigger factor than we think. Imagine if it had been Fall '78, and we had songs like Stagger Lee, Shakedown Street, I Need a Miracle, etc. That would be something new-ish and unique, something marketable. So for my part, (aside from being a completist), there was enough nuance between '77 and '78 to warrant buying July 1978 Complete Recordings; but for some I think, $129 for essentially the same batch of songs as May and June 1977 (as well as a dozen single show releases from Dick's Picks, Dave's Picks, Road Trips, 30 Trips, DL Series), it just wasn't a priority, particularly when Red Rocks 7/8 was available a la carte. Anyway, it will sell out soon enough, I think there are only like 1500 left. Still a winner for Rhino, as I'm sure they sold enough to make money. The rest is trickle-in gravy. And a winner for Rhino is a winner for us :D Have a great weekend everybody. Jellyroll will drive you stone mad.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

20k units when the 15k unit Red Rocks box is still FAR from sold out??? To quote Austin Powers "I used to think you were crazy, but now I can see your nuts." I recall some overzealous '80s enthusiasts saying the same about the 89 RFK box: "It'll sell out instantly [because I'm so excited about it!]". And now Rhino has FIVE THOUSAND (!!!) unsold boxes, just taking up valuable space. That's $300,000 of capital tied up in inventory that they'll be sitting on for a very, very long time. If that fact gets brought up in a Dead/Rhino meeting and then someone pipes up and suggests 20k units on the next box, I think they'd be thrown out of the room. But I could be wrong. Granted Cornell box sold out fast, but that's freakin' Cornell. The Red Rocks box had much more mystique and mind-share than does 6/10/73, imo. I get your enthusiasm for 6/10/73, but just ask the Rhino stockroom manager who can't even see the Farrah Fawcett poster on his office wall anymore for all the cardboard boxes stacked floor-to-ceiling around him.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Good point Jeff.. Surely that had an impact on the non-completest among us. It is the cornerstone show, and arguably the best in the box (though currently not my go to show from this set).
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

I don't think 7/1 circulated (not sure about 7/3). 7/5 circulated as a wonderful sounding AUD (speaking of great AUDs) by one of our own posters (who also has an amazing story from attending some of the shows). My (probably over simplified) theory on why it hasn't sold out is that no post hiatus year (aside from 1977) has enough mainstream hype around it to sell out quickly. Even the late era years we all consider to be very strong. Spring 90 TOO which is as great a box as they ever put out only sold out just over a year ago I think. And as previously mentioned, a 2-show affordable mini box from 89 is still available. Anything pre-hiatus will sell out very quickly. Put a summer or fall 73 box out and it will be gone in 24 hours. Put a box out from fall 79 and watch it sit for a while. Doesn't bother me personally since I will buy it the day it's posted, but I do hope that it doesn't deter Rhino from agreeing to box sets from less "famous" years/runs.
user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

For RFK 6/10/73, I believe it would sell 15K in one weekend, either individually or paired with the RFK show from the night before. In this situation there is a hugely popular show from a hugely popular year. If I were Rhino, I would do the pair. I would limit it to 15K and include a small book (like FW 1969), but I would press 20K and immediately put the extra 5K on sale after the initial sellout, but exclude the book and call it the music only edition. That way the urgency is created for the initial 15K, and it goes fast. Then when everyone is peeved they didn't get one, you announce the music only copies that are available. No, that's dishonest, I wouldn't do that.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Mind Left Body, this one's for your efforts. I saw someone post this a little while back, and I've shamelessly recycled it. So regarding your post: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_Ot0k4XJc 80sFan - you said in a couple of sentences what took me way too long to articulate. Prehiatus + 1977 = insta-sell. Posthiatus = you better think about your marketing plan carefully, lest you "lose sight" of what truly matters.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I’m banking on the ‘pre-hiatus only’ folks to make the sales volume larger. They wouldn’t have bought the 78 Box. The RFK 89 Box ‘less than 5000 left’ banner went up before the box started shipping, or around shipping time. The banner will stay until sell out. Of course, the ‘no Brent’ crowd isn’t going to buy that box.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

it should be fewer than 5000, no less than. the selling of the 5000? Jerryroll will drive you stone mad. as will jellyroll.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

The July '78 Box is one of the best things they've released, from the artwork and packaging (bookshelf size, thank you) to the performances and the sound quality. Jim, you mentioned that 7/8/78 might be the best, but is not your go-to. Not sure if you mean Arrowhead, but that is by far the one I go-to most in this stellar box. It circulated only as an AUD before (a really fun Bob Wagner tape I think). I think if it had been available in Betty Board glory it would be as famous as 7/8. But, this could also be my predilection for "weird shows with truncated sets at festivals." (It's a specialized genre). One of my favorite shows of the '80s is 9/5/82 from the US Festival. Talk about a weird show, opening with Playin' > Shakedown > Minglewood. What-the-wha? And at 9:30 in the morning too. The Dead playing to a crowd of mostly non-Deadheads, at 9:30 in the morning, what could go wrong? https://archive.org/details/gd1982-09-05.sbd.miller.113746.flac16/gd82-… Set 1 Playin' In The Band-> Shakedown Street-> Minglewood Blues, Samson & Delilah, China Cat Sunflower-> I Know You Rider Set 2 Sugaree-> Women Are Smarter, Truckin'-> Drums-> Not Fade Away-> Black Peter-> Sugar Magnolia, E: U.S. Blues, E: Satisfaction*
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

RFK June '73 remains a great experience 45 years later, BUT I only caught the first day. The second day was a Sunday and I had to hitch back home to go to school Monday. Worst decision of my life, outside of not buying FW'69 when it came out... oh, and getting married. The GD played the afternoon show, a seriously hot day, with temps reaching 100, at least. I was 15 and we were taking four-way blotter, which partly explains who I am today. (No digressions here, pleeez.) I've got a few stories, which I think I've shared before. There was a long break, then the sun eased up on us and we retired from the field to the seats for the ABB's closing set and man, probably the best ABB set of that year, of which I caught four. Just plain powerful. Oh, yes, we did re-up on the blotter for the ABB. That re-upping on the same day is a young man's sport, to be sure. (Maybe it was the second piece of that four-way paper that made me who I am today? Ooops a digression.) I can say, having heard the Watkins Glen jam as we eased out of that crowd 6-7 weeks later, we do not need the post-show jams. Those guys were hoovering massive amounts of blow and drinking heavily, according to my ears(!). Instead, I'm sure that, as with the ABB's Feb '70 FE release, the GD have probably given the ABB the tapes of 6-9-73 and 6-10-73, if anyone ran tape on the "other" band. So the ABB would be in a position to release something. And I'm sure that someone is looking at an archival ABB release schedule, now that Gregg has departed. At least, I fervently hope so. There are two sets from '71 FW scheduled. And the '73 ABB was the best of the post-Duane IMHO. A standalone 6-10-73 across four discs could make a killer lure as the 2019 DaP 30 w/bonus disc; the full 6-10 with 6-9 filler. (Hate filler unless I was at the show, but I digress... aarrgghhh!) Then this spring's box could provide other, 3-disc summer '73 shows. Yep, I'm still gunning for a March-April announcement for a '73 box to be released in May, timed to the 45th of that fateful summer and its fresh Alice D. Those '73 shows tended to be long with 2-3 song encores, so maybe it's just (3) shows, (9) discs, to keep price within reach. (An even $99.99?) On the 8-31-78 Red Rocks show, the 6-song first set seemed disastrous at the time; they cut it short and huddled (got ripped) before coming out to jam the second set to the max. They had recorded an LP and not been performing for a month or so and those two shows, 8-30 and 8-31, we considered quite weak after the 7-7 and 7-8 Purple Dragon-driven sets earlier that summer. Jeeez, 40 years since Red Rocks '78 and 45 since summer '73. One step closer to the coolin' board. Coffee good today...
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I have been wondering about the next box set myself, thinking there might be an announcement soon. A larger '70s box in the spring, and a smaller '80s-'90 box in the fall would be about perfect, like they did last year with the Cornell box and the RFK box. The July '78 box rocks. I have returned to that box on a number of occasions, probably returning to the Arrowhead and the Omaha shows most frequently, but they were all good. That Arrowhead show is fantastic, a nice tight, short show, and always fun to imagine the crowd at Willie Nelson's summer picnic grooving to the Dead as things got weird later in the show. The artwork on that box is also probably my favorite out of all the box sets.
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

>>>>> I don't know what it's like to wrangle the sums of money tenured bands deal with, but if I had a chance to get a seven-figure sum, I would freakin' do it. Agreed because I know shit about Large Green and Band Egos, BUT, I would think release it, cost you nothing, you will make some amount of money, but to me, more importantly, you're leaving some of your art for all time. I wish I could create something, anything that can stand the test of time after I'm gone. But what do most of us leave, at best kids, nothing so great there. (they are mass produced by unskilled labor) I doubt ANY of the faucets I've installed will be around in 10 years. Maybe the classic 66 corvette I've worked on will have my handy work untouched for years.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Maybe the shot of tequila I dropped in... but I digress... Never realized the limited choices, though staggering, for a summer '73 box. All told, June-August, 'only' 12 shows. So Dave has to figure out if a small box works, yet leaves enough shows for the future. I've heard the call for PNE 6-22-73, but never checked it out, or the setlist. But if you look up the setlists for 6-22, 6-24 and 6-26, I'd have to make that my dream box. That leaves Dave the opportunity to release two 'iconic' shows (6-10 and 7-27/28), plus the three-show run in Universal City and the two-fer in Jersey City. Ultimately, 6-9 and 7-28 -- both daytime shows -- might be a tad weak for release, I cannot tell from the tinny versions out there. But the three-show NW tour looks spectacular! With the 45th anniversary upon us, I bet on Summer '73 NW tour. Three really long shows...
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

I hear ya. But Cornell sold pretty well and that wasn't pre-hiatus.... And in the past the banners have been updated fairly regularly. I doubt that 6 months from the banner will still read "5,000 left". The point of the banner is to create urgency to buy it - knowing there's a whopping 5,000 left just tells everyone there's NO rush to buy it. Since it will be available new on this site for years, there's a ceiling on the value, and the used market WILL sell for cheaper, so many will just buy it there. And the CFO will keep walking into the room with, OK, 4,000 '89 RFK boxes - a quarter million dollars of working capital tied up in inventory - screaming "I thought we weren't going to hold lots of inventory anymore!!! What genius ordered 15k copies???"" That's why you don't produce too many - the whole supply/demand dynamic goes "kerplooie". And thats why the Dave's Picks business model works. They know the exact demand so they nail the production #, they collect the annual subscription $$ up front - so you're paying for the 4th release in the sub a full year ahead of time = healthy working capital. Then they sell ALL the rest of the run immediately after production, and ship the same week so there's NO $ tied up in inventory - DaP probably never even SEES the forlorn '89 RFK box in the warehouse because they prob ship from the manufacturer. . Neat and tidy - THAT's a good business model. If the CFO is popping any antacids, its because of RFK '89.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

.... where's the Anthem Of The Sun anniversary announcement? I have cash!
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Rhino has likely recovered most if not all of their costs for that release already. So, they don't have a quarter million dollars tied up. What they do have is a huge opportunity loss. That release was a head scratcher from day one. They only way the are going to unload the rest of that inventory, even if they can, is through deep discounts. Not surprised that 78 did not sell out either. As much praise as it gets here, that year does not do it for a lot of people. Myself included. I purchased the box, but listened only once. RULES OF BUSINESS Rule 1: The customer is always right. Rule 2: When in doubt, refer to Rule 1. Or as Keith and 80s said: RULES OF THE GRATEFUL DEAD BUSINESS Rule 1: Customers want pre-hiatus and 77. Rule 2: When in doubt, refer to Rule 1.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Easy WindOperator Alligator Turn on Your Lovelight Hard to Handle Midnight Hour Mr. Charlie Next Time You See Me Big Boss Man King Bee Chinatown Shuffle Katie Mae Not necessarily ten, not necessarily in that order..............
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

today's recommendation: 10/31/79 heard 5/17/74 while driving for Ubereats today. Strong show, not mindblowing, but worth a listen or two. also heard the rest of 12/6/71. Tasty stuff.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Momma caught a chicken, thought it was a duck ... Ain't It CrazyAND Run, Run Rudolph. Ay, Compay!
user picture

Member for

8 years 3 months

And full of WIN for all parties involved. June '73 RFK/RFK/PNE Box Set would be EPIC and would sell out PDQ. Really hope time has healed wounds with the Gregg Allman estate/etc. and can make it happen for fans of not only the GoGD, but the ABB as well.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Dang it, knew I'd miss a few. Add Roberta, Bring Me My Shotgun and Black Snake from that incredible acoustic tape from 4-18-70. That was a revelation when it hit. This disc really shows Pig as bluesman, doing his Lightnin' Hopkins routine. Thanks Stoltzfus, there's always one that 'got away,' but I have to think of it this way: Age 15, bluejeans, t-shirt, sneakers, maybe $3-4 in my pocket, no ride, no nothing, hundreds of miles from home in a big dangerous city. What the hell was I going to do at midnight on Sunday? I mean, we slept out on the grass Saturday night after the show because there were thousands of Deadheads around. Sunday night, not likely. In fact, as I now recall, it wasn't school on June 11 -- school was out -- it was my godfather from Denver, where I live today, who was visiting Sunday night and I loved that man, who passed 20 years ago from MS. So it was a good thing to do to hitch home to see him. Today, after 46 years of relatively consistent psychedelic use, I feel pretty sharp and looking forward to getting back to the high desert in spring to polish my thought jewels til gleaming. Looking back, the GD, psychedelics and my adventuring led me far from the beaten path in this life. In June '73, I probably didn't need another 4-way after what transpired the day before. I like a lot of space/time after a trip to digest what I've learned. Of course, that approach went out the window at Watkins Glen! But you can bet I'd enjoy hearing the 6-10-73 tape straight from the vault, with a little dusting off by Mr. Norman.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

TastebudTwo Souls In Communion Caution
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

DaP 25 #4908/18000 arrived last week. Gave it the one time through listen. Some nice moments in the first set and a cool Truckin' jam. The signal from Keith's piano definitely clips to saturation at times. Not quite as much finesse from him on this show as compared to May '77. I don't recall the keyboards being as distorted from 11/2, 11/4 or 11/5 '77. It doesn't really detract from the recording on a whole. RFK '89 is a great couple of shows. Don't understand the hatred and negativity towards them by some here. The depth and clarity of those mixes are immaculate. The performances are tight, energetic and spot on, and they're considered the weak shows from that tour by some people (not me). It's been on sale since when, November 10th (2.5 months ago)? Selling 10k-12k units since then is pretty darn good. Personally I think Spring '89 is under-represented and 3/30 and/or 3/31/89 should be a Dave's Pick.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Don't understand why some folks who typically consider the '80s as their favorite period, constantly refer to hatred, animosity and negativity in their posts. I will agree that many people prefer other periods but I rarely, if ever, see posts actually expressing hatred etc. for '80s shows. Sure many people don't like Brent's voice or his Fisher Price plinky keyboard sound, but there are also plenty of people who really don't like Bobby's slide playing or over-the-top shouting or Donna's wailing but I also don't see people stating that they hate these aspects of the Dead's performances. Is there some deep-rooted paranoia amongst some of the people who prefer the '80s? Hatred is, after all a very strong word. Me, I got nothing against the '80s though it is not my favorite period. I enjoy the RFK '89 box with the exception of a couple of songs and I do not hate that couple, I just don't much enjoy 'em. Life is too short to hate, I reckon. Why waste energy on negativity?
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I wouldn't mind a '69 release with Dupree's Diamond Blues, Mountains of the Moon and Doin' That Rag. I'd also like to see a cover design that doesn't involve bearded skeletons. 2 had the raven and the Thelma release had the Alligator with the tracks. Perhaps a depiction of Mountains of the Moon or something.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

This week it's 6/30/85 - Thats a "destination" Shakedown!
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

It's really just the one person who processes anything that is not overtly praise for the 80s as "80s hatred". You're quite right. Two box sets that didn't sell out were discussed. No negativity was leveed upon either in the discussion. There were just simple statements made about what the popular sellers are, which pared down to prehiatus and 1977. As you pointed out, nobody reacted with "I don't understand why people hate 1978". He's done it about other posts too. I recall when RFK came out, a comment was made about poor vocals on one track. It was a completely objective remark about performance quality, and the response this person got (from you know who) was "you must be an 80s 'hater'" From what I've seen, he just can't accept anything except praise for the 80s. It really drags this forum down at times, but that's life I guess. darkstartheotherone, I love your idea, and that WOULD make an awesome album cover, mountains on the moon, with maybe a U.S. flag being planted by a bearded skeleton.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

As was mentioned earlier, we are all in the same boat. Ship of fools, per se. Just a few folks need to be tossed overboard.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I propose one of three unreleased sbd shows for the wished for '69 release 2/15/69 Electric Factory, Philadelphia https://themidnightcafe.org/2017/03/27/repost-bonanza-grateful-dead-phi… Download: SHN/MP3 –Set 1– 101-d1t01 – DOIN’ THAT RAG 102-d1t02 – CRYPTICAL ENVELOPMENT -> 103-d1t03 – THE OTHER ONE -> 104-d1t04 – CRYPTICAL ENVELOPMENT 105-d1t05 – MORNING DEW -> 106-d1t06 – TURN ON YOUR LOVE//LIGHT –Set 2– 201-d2t01 – DUPREE’S DIAMOND BLUES -> 202-d2t02 – MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON -> 203-d2t03 – DARK STAR -> 204-d2t04 – ST. STEPHEN -> 205-d2t05 – THE ELEVEN -> 206-d2t06 – DEATH DON’T HAVE NO MERCY 207-d3t01 – COSMIC CHARLIE 208-d3t02 – ALLIGATOR -> 209-d3t03 – DRUMS -> 210-d3t04 – ALLIGATOR -> 211-d3t05 – WE BID YOU GOOD NIGHT (JAM) -> 212-d3t06 – CAUTION (Do Not Stop On Tracks) -> 213-d3t07 – FEEDBACK -> 214-d3t08 – AND WE BID YOU GOOD NIGHT –Total Time–2:40:06– 4/5/69 Avalon Ballroom, SF https://themidnightcafe.org/2014/10/20/lossless-bootleg-bonanza-gratefu… Download FLAC: Mediafire Download MP3@320: Mediafire Recording Info: SBD -> Rm (7 inch Master Reels @ 7.5ips 1/2trk) -> Dat Transfer Info: Dat -> Sonic Solutions -> CD -> EAC -> Samplitude -> SHN (2 Discs Audio / 1 Disc SHN) Conversion By Charlie Miller charliemiler87@earthlink.net 7/29/03 Notes: Samplitude v6.0 was used to re-track the complete show. –Set 1– 101-d1t01 – Dupree’s Diamond Blues -> 102-d1t02 – Mountains of the Moon -> 103-d1t03 – Dark Star -> 104-d1t04 – St. Stephen -> 105-d1t05 – William Tell bridge -> 106-d1t06 – Turn on Your Lovelight –Set 2– 201-d2t01 – Hard To Handle -> 202-d2t02 – Cosmic Charlie 203-d2t03 – China Cat Sunflower -> 204-d2t04 – Doin’ That Rag 205-d2t05 – Cryptical Envelopment -> 206-d2t06 – Drums -> 207-d2t07 – The Other One -> 208-d2t08 – Cryptical Envelopment -> 209-d2t09 – The Eleven -> 210-d2t10 – It’s a Sin 211-d2t11 – Alligator -> 212-d2t12 – Drums -> 213-d2t13 – Feedback -> 214-d2t14 – And We Bid You Good Night Comments: Just before Cryptical Envelopment and again before Alligator Bobby noodles the opening chords of Weather Report Prelude. 4/22/69 The Ark, Boston https://themidnightcafe.org/2015/02/15/lossless-bootleg-bonanza-gratefu… Download FLAC/MP3: Mediafire Recording Info: SBD -> Master Cassette -> Reel -> Dat -> CD Transfer Info: CD -> Samplitude Professional v9.12 -> FLAC (2 Discs Audio / 2 Discs FLAC) All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller charliemiller87@earthlink.net November 13, 2007 Notes: — Disc change is seamless — First few notes of Sittin’ On Top Of The World missing — Tape flips during The Other One and Dark Star — Lovelight contains a Caution Jam –Set 1– 101-d1t01 – /Sittin’ on Top of the World 102-d1t02 – Morning Dew 103-d1t03 – Beat It on Down Tte Line -> 104-d1t04 – Good Morning Little Schoolgirl 105-d1t05 – Doin’ That Rag 106-d1t06 – Cryptical Envelopment -> 107-d1t07 – Drums -> 108-d1t08 – The Other// One -> 109-d1t09 – Cryptical Envelopment -> 110-d1t10 – Death Don’t Have No Mercy –Set 2– 201-d1t11 – Monitor Levels 202-d1t12 – Dupree’s Diamond Blues -> 203-d1t13 – Mountains of the Moon -> 204-d2t01 – Jam -> 205-d2t02 – Dark Star -> 206-d2t03 – St. Stephen -> 207-d2t04 – The Eleven -> 208-d2t05 – Turn on Your Lovelight
user picture

Member for

15 years

Does anybody have recordings of any of the John McLaughlin/Jimmy Herring tour that just ended?Please PM me if you have some and want to trade--Matt
product sku