• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

The four winds have blown #126 to its new home... Lowest number i've received by about 800 or so! Ive been listening with the help of a good friend after he got his on friday, what a show! Edit: did anyone else get a copy without that clear "discs made in mexico" sticker? Mine didnt have that on there this time. Wondering if they switched manufacturers again
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

On the inside of the CD sleeve.. there is a picture of reel 2. There is a piece of blue painters tape on, likely indicating some sort of processing status (I don't think blue painters tape was around in 1977). There is also a sticker that says "Baked 10/10/17." I wonder what that is all about?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Magnetic tape from a certain period back in the 60's and 70's had an issue where the magnetic backing can detach from the plastic tape so the tapes must actually be baked at a low temp in an oven in hopes that everything will reattach.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Thanks Mustin and Rev Mike. ..that's what I thought, part of the restoration process, but I have not seen that before.. ..which reminds me, ......
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

I heard that and wondered if that was the part you were talking about. It was more like the drummer(s) doing it a bit more aggressively than usual, because they followed the same pattern for a few measures. Usually if it was a mistake, you hear the self-correction measures. Bottom line - you didn't like it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Gee I hope they aren't running out of great shows. This is very mediocre. Most of it sounds phoned in to me.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Can you hear me now?Can you hear me now? Yeah Lightfoot, No Made In Mexico sticker, mine said “Made In North Korea”. No seriously, good observation, hope production has been moved to a more reliable facility.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

From the page:Request: Individual Shows It’s in line with many past discussions, but not sure how many people visit that page, so I pasted it here. COMMENTSComment viewing options January 29, 2018 - 11:55am (new) #1 markscalise markscalise's picture Offline Joined: Jul 6 2007 criteria for releases Seems like it should fall around the following: 1. Is there a complete, high-quality version in the vault? 2. Does the show already circulate in high quality? 3. Was there something exceptional about the show compared to others in the same time period? 4. Has this time period already been well represented in the stream of releases, or is it lacking? Certainly some time periods will merit a larger number of releases. 5. From a sales standpoint, is there a perceived desire for a particular release? This one gets rather subjective.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

disc 2 doesn't do a whole lot for me, either. discs 1 and 3 are fine. I wouldn't call it mediocre. Of course, it ain't 5/11/72. but think of it like pizza: even when it's not that good, it's still all right.
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...not in my space & time at least. I'm a true believer of miracles and this show exceeds musical boundaries creating a musical testament of pure, unbound joy . A pure expression of joy, like the feeling of being at home. the Sun - the sound for the concert, done by Healy, was at his best with this show. Just listen to Betty's recording on this release, simply beautiful! This mix is quite frankly Stunning to say the least. Everybody is heard in pristine quality in all the right and wrong places...I'm love'n it more and more each day, :)
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

listening to auditory caffeine (metallica's and justice for all). every time there's a commercial thingy, they are advertising for a Chrohn's disease medication. upbeat metal and chrohn's are not a great combination.
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...Great album! 'Ride The Lightning' one of my favorites...Sorry to stray off topic for a second ! My bad folks.....
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

ever heard Squidward's "mediocre?" if you have you'll know what I mean. if not, oh well. "frayed ends of sanity", baby.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Stoltzfus, maybe GD would sound better if you weren’t contaminating your ears with metal.Just saying.... Kind of like saying to Vguy that the Golden Knights are riding on beginner’s luck...... Oooooohhhhhh...... Them’s fightin’ words.... :)
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

The FL Panthers won the cup their first season then slumped......
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

You're right about me not liking it but you got me all wrong... ...I fucking love it. Just because one song is sloppy at the end for a little bit, that doesn't mean I'm not gonna listen to the show repeatedly. Beauty lies in the imperfections, I guess, because I'm addicted to the music. I got my copy on Saturday and I'm 3 listens in already...I'm just getting started.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 9 months

Duh . . . Healy mixing, Betty recording. Got it.
user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

Is there really that big of a difference on these MOBILE FIDELITY SOUND LAB recordings that are floating around out there of "CLASSIC" albums. I figure this would be a good group of folks to ask this question to. I appreciate any input.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....I don't have the hearing of a canine. It all sounds good. Easy to pleasy to my inner ear. No help here. Sorry (~};)Good to hear icecrmcnkd got his. Crank it to 11!!! ps. The Florida Panthers have never won the Cup. Let alone in their first year. You're high....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

1. Dark Matter. Completely invisible to telescopes and the human eye, it neither emits nor absorbs visible light (or any form of electromagnetic radiation), but its gravitational effect is evident in the motions of galaxy clusters and individual stars. -Scientific community 2. Light like a feather, heavy as lead. How can you ever give your more to receive your less? -Bob Marley 3. Why can't my wife/girlfriend stop talking for even 5 minutes? How about just for the first 60 seconds when I walk through the door after work...just let me take my shoes off and throw my keys on the dresser before you start in. Is that really too much to ask? -Dantian, and every other male ever born.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

I'm so politically incorrect, ain't I? :)
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I have been buying Mobile Fidelity Lps for years. Started off with The Beatles box set a long time ago. Mobile Fidelity uses virgin vinyl and half-speed mastering from the original sound tapes. They spend a lot of time getting everything "just right." To me, at 71, nothing is more satisfying than a well made LP, a tube amp, and a "good" cold beer and a bowl of pipe tobacco in a well carved Grateful Dead meerschaum pipe. Getting back to the issue...if you are use to listening to Mp3 stuff and think it sounds great then I would suggest you do not bother. If you have a "good" stereo/headphones then by all means buy the dead on Mobile Fidelity. If I remember correctly some of the Dead's Lps are done on virgin vinyl. One has to look carefully at the notes on the covers. If you have a "favorite" dead LP then spend the money and treat yourself to a wonderful sonic experience. Life is short! The other question is how do they sound compared to all the new MQA/high digital downloads. I don't know and probably never will. Vinyl has a sound that is, to me, just sweet. I like holding the cover(s) in my aging fingers and reading the liner notes and reading about how the music was made. Lp people tend to want to sit down and "listen" to the music. It is a pain-in-the-butt to get up, every twenty minutes or so, and flip the lp but the satisfaction I get from it is worth all the hassles. If you are always in a hurry and are updating your facebook account every twenty two minutes than Lps are not for you. LPs, are for me, a way of taking the time to absorb the music experience. And yes...I do listen to Cd's. I have thousands of them. They sound good/great but the "experience" is NOT the same as listen to an LP... at least for me. It does my heart good to see people getting back to LPs...especially young people. One writer commented that the thought LPs were a spiritual thing. So, to answer the original question from and earlier post, there is a big difference between normal pressed Lp's and Mobile Fidelity Lp's. Is the price difference worth it...that is for you to decide. I have! Mr. Pete------> aging hippie
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I haven't bought any Mobile Fidelity L.Ps., but I have been buying more vinyl recently-and as you say, the experience of taking a record out of its sleeve, placing it on the turn table, and devoting 20 minutes to it is great-unique. I started buying albums in 1972, and its surprising to me how good most of them still sound. Also surprising that I though cds sounded better when they first came out. The powers of suggestion! Two L.P.s I have bought recently are the Jimi Hendrix double "Freedom"- the live show from Georgia om 4th July 1970 and Cream's "Wheel of Fire". They both sound very powerful, and seem to fill the speakers more than cds do. The cover of "Wheels of Fire" by Martin Sharp is also brilliant. The detail of this art work simply cannot be adequately replicated on smaller mediums like cds. I'll keep my eye open for Mobile Fidelity albums and see whats available.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

You are correct, the Panthers didn’t win a cup, they made it to the Finals but lost to the Avs. But due to my disdain for the Avs, I try not to acknowledge that win.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

Your send button is stuck, give it a jiggle :)
user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

My last several Dave's Picks have had creases, buckles, or dings on the spine. Not sure if they drop them or pull the wrap too tightly, or the post office crushes them. And I buy 3 each year for people. One I shipped to my buddy this time, and his has a folded in edge along the top of the spine. The two I received were in different packages. One has a buckled spine (you know, as though something heavy was on top of it and it creased in the middle). The other one has a mused in top corner. Three different packages, no good cases. For whatever reason, this is happening now but not in the past. My Dave picks one through 18 are fine. I guess in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal, but I do have these on display in my family room, so of course I notice it. Anyone else have this?
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

These lp's are the best sounding lp's ever made, period. I got into them back in the early 80's and have many of them. The process they use is unique and brings out the best sound available from the master tapes. I started with the Beatles lp's and just went wild with them, will never forget that time we got back from a concert and were quite out there, put on the White Album and listen to it in that state of mind, it was about the 4th time listening to that particular side of the lp and the sound was unbelievable. Found out later that it takes 3 or 4 plays before the needle gets into the groove at just the exactly perfect place and it is just pure joy. The song that still sticks in my mind is Revolution, the slow version, wow, you could hear them breath and you could hear their fingers on the strings sliding up and down, it was uncanny. There are still many available and they make new ones occasionally, if you still or are just getting into lp's, these will make you think you are right there, with the band sitting right in front of you. They did put out American Beauty on MFSL, Dark Side of the Moon, Clapton, The Band...all the heavies, unfortunately, they are limited so if you don't get them when they first come out, you might miss out of some exceptional sounding recordings. Mr. Pete, I agree with you, lp's are the way to go and I find myself going back to mine a lot more than cd's. (a lot of my friends got rid of their albums, I kept all of mine) glad I did. Most lp's sound better than cd's but there are a few exceptions, Blue Oyster Cults' first lp is way better sounding on lp that on cd, and these new cd's by the Dead sound real good too, but we don't have an lp to compare them with. Back in the day, you could get an lp for 4 bucks or so, where as the MFSL lp's were about 18.00, which was a lot back then, but well worth it. That Beatles collection was great, Sargent Peppers never sounded so good.
user picture

Member for

14 years

I finished listening to DaP25 last night. My verdict - smokin' hot 1st set, really great energy and performance! 2nd set was meh IMHO (did like Wharf Rat and Truckin'). One of the rare times where the 1st set is better than the 2nd set.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I have a few of these, they all sound amazing; best ones in my opinion were released in the 80s: The Band 1st LP, the Stones & Beatles box sets, American Beauty, Mars Hotel, Elvis in Memphis and the Sinatra box set. Highly recommended!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 7 months

This box is remarkable for its quality, certainly worth chasing for a great well-preserved copy. In 1982 a friend of mine recorded the set for me on his high end system, unfortunately to cassette but fortunately on a solid dual capstan deck (Yamaha, I think). Those cassettes, particularly Revolver, Sgt Pepper and the White Album, were among my most treasured belongings for many years. Analog sources wear out... if I had the set and the means I would make a few different reference copies, including on reel tape, for repeat enjoyment.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Spun through this show a few times now; as others have noted it's a pretty high energy show and a very solid first set. Second set is good too; I probably enjoy the Fire on the Mountain and Wharf Rat the most; I did have one audio observation though (I think?) - does Jerry leave the stage or just stop playing immediately after the final line of Scarlet Begonias? He hits that one note, then he seems to disappear from the mix until about seven and a half minutes in; during that period the transition just sort of plods faintly along between Bobby and Keith mostly, until Jerry seems to reappear. I assume this happened from time to time, but was more curious if that is indeed what happened, or if I am just missing him in there in the mix. No mention of this in the liner notes, but perhaps someone has a recollection or other feedback in retort... Ahh, the mysteries of the listen. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Smokin first set, ok Dave, now we have the smokin first set release, how about a great second set release, unreleased Dark Star time? I usually steered clear of shows that had a sunrise in the set list, just seemed to me to bring down the entire vibe in the arena. Back in the day, Jerry was know to "disappear" from time to time, go back stage and ?. Who really knows what he was doing, except maybe the rest of the band and Parrish. I can see it now, Jerry sees an opportunity to take a quick break, and does, and the show just gets better after that, but this time, I think the "pink Peruvian" might have got the best of him.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I catch him disappearing at approx. 5:13 into Scarlet and re-appearing almost exactly at 7:13, at a low volume. If you rewind a bit.. something is off during the first jam at about a minute into the song too, he's almost absent in the beginning of the first jam. Perhaps there was something he didn't like with the sound. I wonder if he mucked with the tuning or if the newly refurbished Wolf wasn't playing nice with some of the effects? My guess is he was getting his magic tricks and effects together and prepping for a transition into the land of the Mutron which he seems to have pretty dialed in by the time Fire On The Mountain starts. It doesn't seem like two minutes is enough time to completely disappear or go off the stage, and they were pretty fresh off the set break, so I doubt of he needed to spark up or anything. I doubt if we will ever know for sure. Then again, we could set the dials for 11/6/77...
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I like to think he found himself in the middle of Scarlet Fire not quite good and high enough, and decided to wander offstage for an attitude adjustment.
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Finished first set and it’s sounds great. Funny I got number around 17800 for my subscription and 8000 for one I ordered when individual show went on sale. Not really sure why I ordered an additional show. I did the same thing for 2015, ordered two subs. It’s hell to get old. 50 years ago saw first show at Thee Image in North Miami Beach. Looking forward to vol 26. Any year is fine with me.
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

I'd put my money on it having something to do with drugs...I know there were instances around this time where Jerry would be "missing" from other Scarlet>Fire jams as well. Here is one example from 5/13/77 www.youtube.com/watch?v=voPrY55qiP0
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....he had to drop the Browns off at the Super Bowl. When you gotta poop, ya gotta poop...
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

quick note - mobile labs 1/2 speed masters sounded great. I received a goodly chunk of stuff from someone here, was a lot of really nice stuff there. Most amazing though was a group called Everyone Orchestra. As my friend commented to me when I forwarded show to him, "where have these guys been hiding". You can check out their wiki page. But if I understand right. This guy who arranges these things must know a lot of people, but he assembles a group of top shelf musicians, they hook up for some "show" somewhere, without any rehearsals, with only meeting that day maybe, they create songs on the spot out of whole cloth, words and all apparently. The words are simple, but the jams can be GREAT. They are on the archive, but here is the link to the show sent to me,,, give a listen. https://archive.org/details/everyoneorchestra2017-03-11.matrix.flac24 Sorry for the interruption of DaP 25 talk,,,, and no mine hasn't gotten here yet, damn!
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

That box is great, however the first 3 LPs have that hard stereo separation, with no middle: vocals left, instruments right. Still sounds great, but the mono versions of these are the best; I highly recommend the Beatles Mono box set that came out a few years ago, it's the best source.Same thing for the Stones, the mono versions of their LPs up to(and including Satanic Majesties Request) are superior to their stereo counterparts. While we're at it, the mono version of Moby Grape's first LP is also better than the stereo; same for the Dead's first LP, mono version is much punchier than the stereo(it's a shame that the 45 reissue series did not use a mono Golden Road 45...)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

First off, DP #25 is a good solid release. The first set is some of the best playing of 1977 for the boyz. It may well have the GOAT Miss 1/2 Step, and Jack Straw, Jed, and Dire Wolf are top notch.....but for this release to be considered so "legendary" like Cornell, 7/8/78, and/or all of May 1977 seems a bit of a stretch. I realize the GD has back the missing BBoards, and these releases were the obvious choices from the returned tapes....but 11/6/77 is good not great- Sorry!The Scarlet is half ass at best....one verse in, Jer realizes he is out of tune, and literally tunes mid song- I just don't care for that. His solo is good, then into Fire transition is ok...but mot May 1977. The show is somewhat typical of what setlist had become towards the end of 1977 especially in the 2nd set....again I like it, and the 1st set really smokes. Bottom line IMHO- I just think even as great a pedestal as 1977 is put on, it time to move on from the repetitive shows from: 1977, 1974, and 1972. Why not give the 1980s a chance at least for the next 6-8 releases...the myth that a lot of the soundboards from the 1980s (early 1980s in particular) don't sound good is just BS. I know this is not the consensus, and don't really care.....but haven't TPTB just about overdone it with 1970-1978...
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Read this while sipping coffee, and promptly snorted it out of my nose as I laughed.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Another album that sounds much better in mono is "Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" by Pink Floyd-although I have always liked the channel switching at the end of "Interstellar Overdrive" on the stereo version. Both versions are essential-but the mono is the one I play most. I am hoping my copy of Daves will arrive next week some time. The response seems a bit muted, on the whole. Great first set, but nothing spectacular after that, seems to be the theme. We shall see.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Hey, I want some of the shit that artist has been smoking.
user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

I agree with your post, RV3. More 80's would be welcomed here! Although I've really been into '74 shows lately. Especially after all the DP12 talk on here recently. Forgot how much fun that one was but I'd have fun with some early 80's stuff for sure.
product sku