• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Thanks for the push and the link.Situation rectified. On board.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

A four-show Summer '73 box SURE would be nice.... And i got some new shows recently - dug into 10/1/76 today (2 days before the 10/3/76 Cobo Arena show - 30 trips). Help>Slip>Franklin's is about my fav song ever, and I've never heard this one - it's a great version!! Confident and locked in! They're clearly gelling in Help On the Way and Jerry paints some great guitar textures that seem fresh and different... playing with feel and nuance. The "Slipknot!" is less sinister, more jazzy and introspective.... and goes on for 12 sublime minutes... is this still Slipknot?... yes it is! Then into a sweet and bouncy "Fernando's Tower" ;) which always satisfies. https://archive.org/details/gd76-10-01.moore.weiner.14558.sbeok.shnf [edit - just realized the link above says "moore.weiner"............ :0 ;) [edit 2: 3 summer '73 shows would be 12 discs = more likely, imo. And I don't think the Universal trio gets the nod. The real questions is "Will the Allmans let them release set 3 of 6/10/73"? Then they could do 5/26, 6/9 and 6/10. I think the most interesting release might actually be 6/22, 6/24 & 6/26... there's some great stuff there, and I don't think 6/26 circulates (and if it does could someone please hook me up? :D ] [edit 3: rip jpb]
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

RIP, JPB. So many memorable and lasting contributions. A sad day in GD Land and beyond. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Here's to JPB Wow. time keeps on slippin' slippin' slippin' into the future he wrote the lyrics for Cassidy 6/9/90 Cassidy that experience led to me giving one of my kids the middle name Cassidy I got to meet jpb briefly when he came to the UW a bunch of years ago, talking up the electronic frontiers foundation here's to you, jpb
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

JPB didn't write this one,but it hits the spot. Wyoming Poem It's winter in Wyoming And the gentle breezes blow Seventy miles an hour At twenty five below Oh,how I love Wyoming When the snow is up to your butt You take a breath of winter And your nose gets frozen shut Yes,the weather here is wonderful So I guess I'll hang around I could never leave Wyoming 'cuz I'm frozen to the ground anonymous
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....news like this makes the whole era debate seem pretty redundant. RIP....
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

I was feeling great all day, then I visit here on this Dave's Picks 25 comments page and I read that Bobby's lyricist dies. MAY JOHN PERRY BARLOW REST IN PEACE Condolences to John's family & especially to Bob Weir. For me, just a degree or two away from Jerry's death, and not quite all that different AND VERY, VERY PAINFUL! Yes, I knew that John wasn't in the best of health for the last few years, so not real suprise for me, but JUST AS PAINFULLY HURT.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

Such sad news. The wheel keeps turning.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Rest in peace John Barlow. In many ways, JB and Hunter were very much a part of the band as the musicians onstage. His collaborations with Bob and Brent were brilliant. Actually had Mexicali Blues from the new Dave's Pick cued up as I'm reading this news now. Sending my condlences to family and friends of John Barlow, as well as the surviving band members in your/our loss.
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

..... flight of the seabirds..... great tune, great writer, say hi to all the family.....
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

A heartfelt thanks Seth, and to everyone signing the petition. And especially Jim for mobilizing the group. Release the reels. This had long been my favorite show. I never have hope for at release though, because it's too big for a 3-disc Dave pick. Everyone who loves RFK 73 should go sign up on the link on the shows by year page on June 10th. When I think of John Perry Barlow, I always remember that clip in the Grateful Dead movie soundtrack. They're interviewing him and Weir. RIP.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

RIP, you were much appreciated. Just glad we got him into Long Strange Trip. Glad that was allowed to be made. Weird, do I thank Amazon? G
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Thanks for the update on the math and burn rate! I stand corrected... G
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

Love, healing vibrations and Holy Spirit to JPB's family and thank you JPB for lyrics and music which have brought me both joy and soothed my soul. God Bless You Brother!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 5 months

So young. Sorry to see you go on. You will be remembered, by both GD fans and those who respect the EFF. The Music Never Stops.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 6 months

You are one of the G.D. One of the greatest lyricists of all time, and much more... JPB.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

http://www.gratefuldeadoftheday.com/02-07-1969 Dead of the Day: February 7, 1969 Stanley Theater Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Though there is another noteworthy show on this date, we had to go with the musically transcendent pair of shows from February 7, 1969 at the Stanley Theater in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania as our Dead of the Day. Topping a three-band, two-show bill, the Dead could not play extended setlists during either show, but they made good use of their time, firing out of the gate with a Dark Star. The rest of the first show is very fine and tight, though only fifty minutes long. The second show is not much longer, but just flat out smokes. It is hard to pull out a single song as standing above the rest; they are all phenomenal, with jams throughout that just set off on a mission, exploring the outer reaches of the tune’s consciousness. For instance, the brilliant Alligator conjures the beast, and you can hear it slinking around the edges of the beatific swamp that is Drums and then feel its presence in the short China Cat jam before it resurfaces completely, transformed into something both darker and more blessed, but still all reptile, in the Primal Alligator jam.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....Mr. Duryah's efforts in bringing this site so many offerings. And that last one kicks some ass. No Looks Like Rain in the setlist, but I believe Barlow would applaud nonetheless. "The landscape would be empty, if you were gone." I raise my head and smile, smile, smile....
user picture

Member for

15 years

Very sad that Barlow passed away, a big part of the Dead's music.Jim
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

My thoughts are with JPB's family and friends. John always seemed like a friendly guy from what I had seen and heard about the man, fortunate are we for John's contributions to this music, which has helped to shape/form so many peoples lives.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

I just read that John has died. 70 years old. This is a hard pill to swallow and it will take me weeks to process this. Condolences to all who knew him and worked with him, to his family and to Bobby, I just don't have the words, like he did, to explain this feeling. One of the great Dead lyricist and no one will ever replace him. His work on Infrared Roses (one of the best "space exploration" dead lp's out there) was nothing short of genius. Second Sight was a great band and one I wish I had seen before they disappeared like the wind. 70 years old. Think about it, we all know our time is short on this blue ball, so make every moment count, you never know when the reaper will come for you. Thank you John, say hello to Bear and Jerry in that tye dyed part of heaven that I hope I get to visit. Vaya con dios my friend.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

I apologize to any and all who I may have said things to that were not kind, you all are great people and we all should just get along and love each other. lets just agree to disagree, stop the name calling, the ridiculous era debates and the pointing fingers at each other, we are all deadheads and who cares what era we like or who did this or who said that. We all love the Grateful Dead, can we agree on that? I make a pledge today that I will only post positive, up beat, friendly posts on this site from now on. I love the Grateful Dead, period. Peace, Love, Dead, sounds like a mantra for life.
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

I see 32 of us signed up. Great start. If you haven't heard, we are attempting to make our voices heard in the way of a request to have RFK 6-9 & 6-10, 1973 released. This is fun and unifying. We need this. Wasn't my idea, but is my favorite show. Thanks go out to everyone who "signed up". Great job JimInMD & Keithfan2112 for a great idea. If you haven't signed up, just go to the 6/10/73 page and post a comment with "Release" in the subject field and "I'll buy it" in the comment section. http://www.dead.net/show/june-10-1973
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

by special, creative and caring people, in the case of the Dead. JPB most certainly boosted our sense of community with his credibility and vision over many things. It would seem that a fine way to honor memory of Barlow is to not miss remaining opportunities to savor Hunter's brilliance and gigantic contributions to the band.
user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

Completely agree (although I like and appreciate the bass on DaP 24) - good but not great. First set has already gotten several plays. Truckin' is a keeper; sadly, Scarlet->Fire is not. And, yes indeed, why not 10/29/77?? That should see a release someday.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

As has been discussed (but never often enough), a large part of the Dead's continuing appeal is the depth and breadth of the lyrics. For a personal memorial service, I just read through the annotated lyrics to "Cassidy," which include a somewhat-lengthy portion of an interview with John Perry Barlow. Fascinating. Then I listened to "Cassidy," both from 5/9/77 and 9/16/90. Then I made a donation to Barlow's Electronic Frontier Foundation. Now I'm crying.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Pretty impressive to look at. This is just what he did with the Dead: Mexicali Blues Cassidy Looks Like Rain Walk in the Sunshine Black-Throated Wind Let It Grow (Weather Report II) Finance Blues The Music Never Stopped Lazy Lightnin' Estimated Prophet Heaven Help the Fool I Need a Miracle Easy to Love You Saint of Circumstance Lost Sailor Feel Like A Stranger My Brother Essau Throwing Stones Hell in a Bucket Gentlemen, Start Your Engines I Will Take You Home Picasso Moon We Can Run But We Can't HIde Blow Away A Little Light
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

.... on the same thought vein, I had a customer in one night and asked if he'd like a "FREE" lighter. His reply, "what type?" I looked at him for a moment and said "a fuckin' free one!"
user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Thanks, man. That made my morning, and will definitely keep me chuckling throughout the day.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

A lot of people are "signing up" for the "digital petition" to get 6/10/73 released (along with 6/9). I think even cooler than having the music released, would be if we truly all bonded together to get our voices heard and our online family recognized. I think it would be awesome if, along with this release, Dave mentioned us in the Seaside Chat and maybe even the liner notes. Nothing is impossible, and I have had email responses from DL himself in the past. 1973 is in Dave's "wheelhouse" and 6/10 is a very high demand show, from a period during the year where we haven't had a release - so I really believe, if ever there is a chance that the online community's vote could sway the tides, this is it. Why not, right? http://www.dead.net/show/june-10-1973 Just put RELEASE as the subject and I'LL BUY IT in the comment section. Jack Baller voted as I'm writing this - that's 40! "I'll ride the wave where it takes me...."
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Well said, Unkle Sam. I am also sorry if I have made people angry in the past by going on about what I like and what I don't like. We all have more in common that we have differences. Its a shame we can't always seem to debate things without resorting to personal attacks. Liking the Dead, maybe especially in England, is quite a specialist interest, so we may not have the opportunity to discuss things concerning the band anywhere else but on here. A couple of weeks ago, I was listening to shows from March and April 1972 . Then I switched track, and started listening to shows from 1982. A fascinating study in contrasts-but not one I can discuss with the next door neighbour. Or on here it seems-it has become such a loaded topic. Maybe even saying this is provocative-but I hope not-its meant well.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 11 months

I think you are confusing him with Bob Bralove.... "I just read that John has died. 70 years old. This is a hard pill to swallow and it will take me weeks to process this. Condolences to all who knew him and worked with him, to his family and to Bobby, I just don't have the words, like he did, to explain this feeling. One of the great Dead lyricist and no one will ever replace him. His work on Infrared Roses (one of the best "space exploration" dead lp's out there) was nothing short of genius. Second Sight was a great band and one I wish I had seen before they disappeared like the wind. 70 years old. Think about it, we all know our time is short on this blue ball, so make every moment count, you never know when the reaper will come for you. Thank you John, say hello to Bear and Jerry in that tye dyed part of heaven that I hope I get to visit. Vaya con dios my friend."
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I usually end up telling this almost annually if not more often, because of the smear campaign from the "clique"....just for some context. Lengthy post ahead... Prior to the announcement of the second Spring '90 box, I had been actively advocating for Dave to fulfil the promise of era diversity of picks in the Dave's Picks series, as per originally advertised with the flashing dates from their entire career. After the first several picks came out, and every one of them from the same general time frame in the 70's with one lone exception from the 60's, my advocacy became more of a tone of disappointment. Around this time I became hit with financial difficulties (medical related actually, plus loss of job at same time). I even hit a point where I became homeless for a couple of months (I haven't told that part of the story here, so this is the first time mentioning my personal affairs here). I knew there was no way I would going to be able to afford any luxuries for a while, but did have the subscription. This is when the S'90 (TOO) box announcement dropped. My frustration and disappointment at the lack of variety in the Dave's Picks series was compounded by the fact that they were finally releasing something I was truly interested in, but it wasn't inexpensive, so was priced out of it. With the track record of previous limited edition box sets like FW '69, the two Winterland boxes, E'72, the 1st S'90 box, most of which I missed out on at the time, knew it would sell out before I could afford one. I expressed frustration and disappointment that fans of later era's had to shell out larger sums of money than a subscription or ala carte. This is when jrf68 totally dstepped-up and surprised me by offering to help me get a S'90 (TOO). I was hesitant to accept, as I've never had a complete stranger offer me something, I thought would be too good to be true, so initially leaned towards declining the offer. I also wasn't very keen about giving personal information to a random person online I've never met. After a couple of days of sitting on that, I had recieved a bunch of personal messages urging me to take him up on his offer. Jrf68, being the true gentleman and brother he is, in a true selfless act of generosity, facilitated some kind of crowdfunding effort to get me a box. I had no idea to what extant he did this, or even who all donated. I wasn't "in the know" of how he was going about this and with whom. All I know is several people stepped up, and I continue to thank them and express my gratitude for his and their generosity, as I have on many of these threads for the last 5 years. Jrf68 offered with no strings attached or expectations to have to repay him, though I've offered on to purchase releases for him as compensation, yet he so far has declined to accept (or already had them on order). A true act of class from one of the coolest people I've never even had the pleasure to meet in person. He truly personifies the spirit of what being a Deadhead is supposed to be. Kind and generous, even to complete strangers. The unfortunate thing is, jrf68 was attacked by the "clique" for helping me out. While they have since held resentment towards me for expressing my opinions, personal tastes and criticisms of the pick choices, as well as being miracled a S'90 box with no strings attached, their treatment of him is inexcuseable. This probably won't be the last time I have to explain myself and this story, unfortunately. Some people, who more often than not get what they selfishly desire, harbour resentment towards those they disagree with for catching a break, like being miracled a box set (one that I neither solicited to get, or asked for....it was offered freely....and I hesitantly accepted at the urging of others). It's always been clear to me that some who harbor resentment towards me for expressing my desire to see more 80's releases in the Dave's Picks series, have used the miracle box was part of an agenda to shut me down. My final point of this post is directed at AJS.... You've been an asshole to me for years. You say you put in $20 towards the box jrf68, yet turned around and attacked him for helping me out and attacked me for recieving it. After treating me like shit, you turn around and attack me for not handing you money for crowdfunding for other people (did those people even ever get their boxes you crowdfunded for? I haven't seen any mention of them recieving them anywhere since). Why would I hand over a single dime to somebody I've never met, who for years has been spiteful, rude and mean to me? There's a reason I blocked you from sending me pm's. I even felt the need to bring your last pm to me to the attention of MaryE. You definitely don't want me to publicly share that message that I blocked you over. My suggestion is...get over it....move on. If my expressing the advocacy of more 80's releases, expressing opinions of 80's shows and criticisms of not following through on advertised promises of variety in the Dave's Picks series bothers you so much, that's your problem. I've even reached out on multiple occasions to find a way to put our differences aside, yet you refuse. Oh well.... Ostracizing is as against the spirit of the Grateful dead as it gets.
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

Hallucinations: Last Wed. I got up early to see what all the fuss was with the super/full/blood/eclipsed moon or whatever it was. I was out on my front porch drinking some strong coffee in the dark. As I looked West, I found the sinking full moon. Over the next 15 minutes or so, the eclipse hit just right. As I looked through a couple of oak trees, the moon appeared as a SYF. It was actually a pretty nice hallucination as the crickety thin branches formed crows feet lines around the eyes and a mouth. Some times, it does pay to actually wake up. This is all a dream we dreamed...row row row your boat! G
user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

"Defensiveness often reveals an area of our lives where we're in denial." - Kyle Idleman "Defensiveness is usually someone silently screaming that they need you to value and respect them." - Sharon Alder "My defensiveness in life really helps me as a driver." - Larry David
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

I think the JBP passing puts it in perspective. No one really cares about the endless Era Debate anyway.
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

You have conveniently ignored the OTHER people on this message board who you have instigated problems with, in the way of personal attacks. I see no response from you to Butch's post yesterday, which I will re-post. Don't pretend you don't attack people personally for not sharing your viewpoints. Butch had no dealings with you prior to your personal attack against him, and of course the other post that is quoted here, is of you calling out EVERYBODY who doesn't agree with your assessment of RFK '89. You should acknowledge you were wrong here, and man-up with a commitment to treat people better. Quote from you to Butch: "This Wharf Rat rocks and the vocals are excellent. Tinnitus perhaps?....or you just hate Brent?" Quote from you to the rest: "If so-called fans listen to that Let It Grow from the Listening Party, and still pass on this, they might as well quit listening to the Dead all together and sell or trade their collections for Kid Rock albums. That's about as lame as they are." Be a man and own up to your words. And don't ever paint yourself as someone who does not attack others who have never said an ill word toward you.
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Appreciation month.
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

is just so so good ... the Dark Star, good lord ... what I wouldn't give for all the 1971 we've got, and will get, to be magically transformed into 1970 instead ... Next 2 Dave's picks should be something, anything from Fall 1970 (short of that, just any 1970) ... and something to fill the 1973 gap between 4 2 73 and 10 19 73.
user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

"Blues for Allah" was the first Dead album I ever purchased (only because I was 12 and the artwork was cool). It's still my favorite studio album, and the one I listen to most as well.
user picture

Member for

12 years 1 month

"The recent post above, with all of those choice '73 Summer shows, now THAT should be a box. The full run. Slap a $500 price tag on it and see how the '70's only crowd reacts to that." 1- Yes it should be a box! 2- I'd gladly pay 500$ But I'm curious....are we talking about shows or money?? I love it when people talk about great shows (these are), I hate it when people talk about money. I don't go to a restaurant and complain that I can't afford to eat there. I don't go to a Porsche dealer and tell customers who are buying one that I can't afford one. Again, I love to talk about the music.......especially 72-74 (the best imo). But I hate all this talk about price and money.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 9 months

Love “ most “ all of it and try to give each lineup a fair shake. Mainly listen to 71-78. But just gave MSG Road Trips a good dusting off... wow. If I pinned myself to one lineup or era I might have missed this one; and it’s a dandy!. That jam out of Let It Grow with Jerry and Bruce is probably the closest Garcia ever came to reliving the Nicky Hopkins sound from 75. Its only about 4 minutes but total bliss.!Phils bass is way up front in the mix and he is killing it.!That roar for Brent at the beginnings of Know You Rider gives me chills every time. Long story short: dgaf what your favorites are; but do yourself a favor and keep an open mind. You never know what might just surprise ya. “Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare”
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I've been guilty of it. And have been on the receiving end as well. My excuse is alcohol. Makes my mouth bigger, and usually not in a good way. And for that, I apologise, if that counts for anything. I look back on some posts I sent the following day after I've sobered up and think "did someone hack my account and text that dribble? No Vince. It was you." Dammit!!
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Strider 88First of all, as many others have stated, thank you Dave/Rhino/any anyone else involved in the decision to release 3/29 separately. Many, many of us are very appreciative. How ironic. The very person who desperately clamored for this release, cannot even afford to purchase it. Believe me, I struggled long and hard with whether or not to purchase this release for space (a fellow head I am told), despite all the vitriol direct at myself and other "early Dead" fans. A box set that I will not even purchase myself. I have a few suggestions: 1) Let the "Foxy economic savant" make the purchase for his fellow 90s buddy, as strider 88 suggests. 2) Contact Dan Gilbert to see if he is willing to help out. Dan, space, pfox and a few others on this board, all seem respond in the same manner when they don't get their way. 3) Kickstarter.com. Kickstarter is the world's largest funding platform for creative projects. Clearly the Grateful Dead in the spring of 1990 were creative. 4) I am willing to fund a portion of the box set purchase. However, I refuse to spend more than I did myself, the 3/29 show alone. All you need is ten other folks to do the same and you have your precious box set. Mr. Jack Straw, dantian, and others, you should all help out. Space, contact whoever you need in order to figure out how to get this done. Good luck and please keep us posted. I sincerely hope you obtain this release. AJS Mr. Jack Straw. Unfortunately the page you hoped to reference supporting your case against Frank was deleted. This one was still up on the site. Page 31. Frank, as for the anwer to your question, "Why would I hand over a single dime to somebody I've never met, who for years has been spiteful, rude and mean to me?" I did.
product sku