• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

But can they do it on psychedelics?
user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

I like it! That's better than anything I was coming up with. I was trying to come up with some kind of acronym using R F K: like Rockin For a Kause, or Rock Fans Kollide. The K kept being the sticky wicket tho. Of course 'Board' is also shorthand for a soundboard recording -- so it goes at least 2 levels. If only some unscrupulous offshore label would put out a nice bootleg copy :)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

No question about it as stated physical music sales have been crushed over 10 years. The statistics that weren't mentioned were that last year cd sales jumped 10% and in the past 10 years vinyl sales increased 427% with no sign of slowing down. It's like care ownership. The youngsters on my crew (20-32) don't own cars or garage them most of the time and uber. 10 years from now they will be driving. Ubering with 2 kids ain't the same. Are both changing absolutely will they disappear not likely
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

What makes you think they are not? They seemingly forgot the words to 23 songs in a row. I'm very confused though, what does any of this have to do with Gainesville?
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Jim, I agree - I think they had a setlist of 3 hours of music for that gig, but they got dosed and it FELT TO THEM like a 3 hour show. They panicked thru 12 seconds of each song, 4 total minutes and DONE! That or they promised the bar owner they'd play 23 songs, but then suddenly realized Starbucks closes in 20 minutes. Seriously, good work by those guys. I play guitar in a band, and there's lot going on in all those riffs. Great to see the next generation flying the flag.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Good show but I would rate it near bottom or the bottom in comparison to other releases from same frame. This release could have drastically been improved for me if there was some filler added. When this release was teased I remember mention of a show which Vault Master says he had been listening to the recording everyday for months. I am not surprised this performance was released. But I was certainly surprised this was the show he had been checking out for months. Truckin is cool, almost sounds like someone on stage wanted to transition into Truckin after Not Fade Away, and then takes a turn into Wharf Rat. Half-Step and Wharf Rat are the 2 highlights from this release for me. Check out 12.31.77 for another wild Truckin performance
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Nice tone that guy gets on his telecaster.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Congratulations on the birth of your second child.
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

A twisted, humorous look at this possible release: 2019 Dave's Picks Subscriptions $130.98 early bird rate $195.98 regular rate Subscription orders taken starting December 3, 2018 DaP 29: 12/08/95 Berkeley Community Theatre, Berkeley, CA* DaP 30: 06/10/73 RFK Stadium, Washington DC Bonus disc: "Set 3" starts w/ It Takes A Lot to Laugh and ends with Johnny B. Goode. DaP 31: TBA DaP 32: TBA Limited edition of 199,000. Bonus disc only with subscription order.** *12/08/95 was the day the name Grateful Dead was retired, only to be used on special occasions, which were the Fare Thee Well concerts/events in 1995. ** A twisted humorous take of the subscription numbers. LOL!
user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

...but Fare Thee Well, was not the Grateful Dead, nor was it the GD name being used. Look at the posters and all official merch, it says "Fare Thee Well:Celebrating 50 years of the Grateful Dead." Should have been called "Pete Shapiro and Lesh': Fare Thee Phil". Dead and Co.deserves to carry the GD name more the Fare Thee Phil bs. That was a money grab and a cash cow too big not to milk. It manipulated peoples emotions, ideas aboit "last concerts" and gave people who paid too much a chance for a Facebook post and some cheap cultural cache and clout. Lameness. Trey was THE WORST choice for that slot and Im sure that was Phil putting his foot down for that one. Poor judgement on axe player for sure. Santa Clara got the closest. Thats why the shows aint soldout on here.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 4 months

any one got his copy in europe yet? me not. seems I'm always the last one. poor me.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Congratulations on #2 Seth. Wishing you and your family health, happiness and sleep.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

I didn't realize they printed 20,000 DVD and 20,000 Blue Ray copies of the Fare Thee Well box - I wonder how that sold thru. Yeah, the Trey choice was a commercial and symbolic choice, I think. Commercial because Shapiro was laying out big bucks and they needed a name-brand guy with a following to elevate the hype, attendance, and DVD/merch sell-thru to the Phish-heads as well s Deadheads. It was symbolic in that I think they were handing the torch off to the Phish-heads, but they also wanted to pull Phish-heads into the Dead scene (also a long-term commercial decision). Would have been great to see Trey get past the learning-the-songs stage and really cook. At least we have John Mayer/Dead & Co. showing us what amazing late-era cops these guys still have.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 7 months

Tom Rapp, he of the magical Pearls before Swine, has passed.This one hurts. He promised beautiful lies you could live in. He knew the use of ashes. Tom, thanks for all the wisdom and enriching my life. Now to play Familiar songs, once again, but this time with a lump in my throat.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I had not heard going with Trey was a Phil decision.. more a democratic one but who knows for sure. I don't begrudge the band for doing Fare Thee Well. Geography and pricing precluded my attendance. I can certainly understand Phil's desire to slow down on cross country touring, he had been eluding to this for years and has a few health conditions to consider too. As for the marketing of the last ever GD shows, did anyone really believe it was going to be a finite end? These guys are wired to play music.. I think deep down we knew it would continue in one form or another. I look at Trey much like I look at what they have done since Jerry's passing, involving another talented musician into the fold and making Grateful Dead music. No matter who they picked, there would be people both for and against the decision. It did seem overly pricy to me, so I chose not to attend. No hard feelings. I also suspected the FTW DVD/Blueray offering was going to be the fiasco it turned out to be. The pre-order was especially off point and misleading. Anyway.. bygones. I'm sure the band was under tremendous pressure to do something, and so they did. Better than doing nothing, right? On a related note.. I am excited for our friends across the pond on the rumors that there might be some discussion about playing in Europe (and beyond??). Share the wealth I say, us stateside have been spoiled the last 50 years and a non US tour is long overdue. I think adding a touch more global presence is an excellent idea. As it has always been.. GD music is much better live and in person than CD's, streams and DVD's could ever represent.
user picture

Member for

13 years 7 months

I know the customer service team is the target of some angst now and again, especially around order and shipping time, so I just wanted to post a public thank you regarding a recent incident I feel they handled wonderfully. My Dave's 25 arrived a couple weeks ago with a scratched Disc 2, deep enough to affect the play during Scarlet>Fire. I contacted customer service and was asked to complete a simple form explaining the problem. After waiting about a week with no word or update, I emailed again and was told they were shipping it that day. I received a new Disc 2 shortly after. They also replaced a scratched Hartford Disc 1 from the GSTL Box when I had a similar issue. I just wanted to say thank you to the customer service team and let everyone know they are willing to help if you have a problem. Thanks again everyone James
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Happy Birthday.. The Grateful Goddamn Dead! One of my favorite releases of all time. May it get remastered and released in it's entirety. #New York City 1970, The Complete Recordings Box Set #New York City 1971, The Complete Recordings Box Set
user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

The first of Owsley's Sonic journals is for sale. 7 CD's of Doc & Merle Watson from the Boarding House in 74. Mastered by JN. Really looking forward to this one.
user picture

Member for

17 years

I received my copy last Thursday (8th) in the Netherlands, if that is any consolation, which it probably isn't.
user picture

Member for

17 years

I've been gravitating back to this one fairly frequently. Jerry's playing on this version of Big Railroad Blues is particularly transcendent. Had this show not been released as part of the Boxilla set, I likely would have never given this one a listen. The whole show rocks. I wish there was more interest here for releases from this timeframe. Lots of gems to be found in this overlooked and under-appreciated year.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

how 'bout those GREEKS in May? 6/20 10/11 10/15 9/24 and others
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I haven't listened to a show form 1983 for a while, although I did watch a bit from 30th December 1983 on you tube last week, which looked interesting. I have listened to a few from 1982 recently, though, and been happily surprised how good they are. Road Trips Vol4 No4, being a case in point. The main show is 6th April 82, with a goodly portion from 5th April included for good measure. The first set is mainly high energy blues, country and rock n' roll. Jerry's playing sparkles throughout, and his voice still sounds good. In fact, he seems to be the one driving the show along. Very strong versions of C.C. Rider, Mama Tried, Mexicali Blues, Jack-A-Roe-all good stuff. The second set starts with a great, long "Shakedown" which leads into the deeper space of Lost Sailor/Saint, Terrapin, Rhythm Devils and beyond. Its got the shortest version of "The Other One" I think I have ever heard, mind you. Still, you can't have everything.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Jim - It may have been Phil's strong opinion to go with Trey, but I can't imagine there was too much debate over that. Billy was adamantly against John Kadlecik (JK) who was an obvious candidate having just spent 5 years playing with Phil and Bob in Furthur - Fare Thee Well with JK would have been head and shoulders above Trey's performance, musically. But Billy publicly dissed Furthur/JK multiple times as just a tribute band, aping Jerry. So that would have ruled out other Jerry clones like DSO's guy, or some of San Fran area guys who seem like Jerry clones, right down to the guitar. Does anyone know who else they considered besides Trey? I can't recall. Space, your talking about 10/21/83, not 10/23. Great show - I also love the Big RxR Blues on 10/15/83 in Hartford. I guess it was a big month for Big RxR... (we may have had this conversation before - having deja vu). 1983 has always impressed me musically - seems to have a little more energy or ferocity than '82 and '84 to my ears (listening to the few shows I have). I used to have 4/13/83 in Vermont on cassette - nice Scar>Fire and many other highlights including what was at one point my only copy of Brother Esau. I'm only now realizing I never picked that one up digitally.... [edit: I put on 10/15/83 Big RxR while typing that comment. Whoever mentioned that the kick-drum is distracting in the early 80's recordings, I can totally hear it on 10/15/83. Especially at the beginning of Chinacat the kick drum is distracting, volume well-above the rest of the drums and left channel ONLY. Bump bump.... bump bump.... bump bump.... make it stop! Sounds like my neighbor hitting my wall with a tennis ball in time with the beat (I may have used that descriptor before, but its apt). Maybe 80's are best listened to on a stereo, not headphones, just to smooth out the mix?]
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Yea, that's what I heard.. Billy had some influence there. Speaking of 83.. one of the more interesting shows I have ever seen (6/20/83, Merriweather) was in the Summer of 83, it was perhaps the highest energy show I attended. Soundboards don't exist, most that were there seem convinced the board tapes were vaporized by a lightning strike, which was overshadowed when a giant ark containing two of each species floated through the lawn area of the pavilion during drums/space. It goes down for me as the year Jerry's substance abuse problems could not be denied.. That Dec 83 Video that's on YouTube, for example, shows a ghoulish Garcia with skin color resembling the living dead.. He could still shred it though.. but on the whole it was an inconsistent year, at least to my ears.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I attended the 2 Santa Clara FTW shows, and really enjoyed it at the time. Upon repeated listening I still think those two days had songs and moments that definitely made it worth it and interesting to have Trey. Would've been great if they did more than 5 shows though. I understand that if one doesn't like trey, then I guess one wouldn't be happy about him being chosen, as he isn't not going to sound like trey. Though I personally think saying trey was the worst choice is a little exaggerated, as he certainly was more qualified than some others. I really enjoy John K, would've loved to see Steve Kimock up there, and I felt/feel strongly that Tom Constanten and Donna should've been there also. Besides those fine musicians, it would've ben great to see Howard Wales, Ned Lagin, or Melvin Seals guest on a number or two. The only musician they might've considered that would've been sort of a bummer for me was/is Warren Haynes.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I didn't attend the FTW shows, either, the timing wasn't right and it was expensive. That being said, I have the box. It's beautifully produced and filmed and the sound is good. A bit anti-climactic now with Dead & Co. happening, but we didn't know that then. Trey Anastasio, in my opinion, absolutely ruins these shows. He hardly plays guitar or sings with any passion at all. His effort and delivery are so substandard - "mailing it in" doesn't even do his total fail justice. I'm not a Phish fan, but having seen them live a handful of times I know that Trey Anastasio can sing, and even more so, play his ass off. It's a pity he couldn't put in the rehearsal time to make FTW really cook. But, now, it's almost an afterthought. They got the right guy in there in John.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

6/18!!!!!!!!!!!!6/22 no complaints from me if an 83 becomes a Daves I'll never forget how much I got off on 10/15/83, listening on a road trip to Eugene to attend a Further show.
user picture

Member for

17 years

That's what I mean't. Thanks. 10/14/83 Hartford has that nice hour long sequence of Scarlet>Fire and Estimated>Eye's on disc 2 from Dicks Picks Vol. 6. I've never checked out 10/15/83 before. Quick glance at that setlist and, oh my. I see I still have much to discover from '83. Even as a proponant of releases from this general era, '83 has been all too neglected from my own listening. They even pulled out a St. Stephen at that 10/15/83 show. Nice. The second to last. Bummer they dropped that song from the setlists 10 months prior my first show in '84. Actually just pulled 10/15/83 up now. Went straight to the St. Stephen, and this has just instantly become my new show request for a Dave's Pick. Apparently I don't browse the Archive as much as I should. Thanks for the suggestion! The crowd reaction on the audience source says it all. https://archive.org/details/gd83-10-15.beyer-ficca-brennan.ficca.20024…
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

I was surprised they went with Trey. I was so proud for him when I heard the news though. What an honor to be asked to play that role in that band, fucking mind blowing! He's a busy dude with his own career who had to put everything on halt to learn 30-50 tunes proper and get in the minds of these guys to speak their musical language as far as jamming goes. I haven't bothered to buy/watch/listen to these shows, aside from a few YouTube clips, out of fear that it would be a train wreck. I love both the GD and Trey (Phish) so much but the two worlds colliding almost seemed too much. Nobody can be Jerry..everyone knows that. So, i think they wanted an original voice who lived the same spirit the Grateful Dead had envisioned. One day I'll sit down and listen to them proper. John Mayer said it was good.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Space - I wouldn't have guessed I'd be the guy to turn YOU onto something from the 80's ;) Yes, that St. Stephen was the second of the tour (1st was 10/11/83 that also has a killer China>Rider). The place went APESH!T at the beginning of St. Stephen - I feel like I understand what Beatlemania was like - the screaming and the utter joyful feeling of 16,294 people letting out such a thunderous WOOP despite not really being able to hear for the first 45 seconds.... The energy in the room was amazing. And by contrast China Doll was an exercise in how quiet an audience can get - could have heard a pin drop, but that intense ENERGY was still there! 2nd show and I was hooked. I was shocked and disappointed at the time that they chose 10/14/83 instead of 10/15 for the Dick's picks, but I can see why... as you say, 61 minutes of Scar>Fire, Estimated>Eyes ain't too shabby. And the St. Stephen the night before, despite being euphoric for the audience, is rough as heck. Both great shows (both with Day Job! "What the heck was that?!" They went deep on Day Job this tour, playing it most nights. Wang Dang Doodle was also a "what was that?" moment for this new head.)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 2 months

Just got mine today in Blighty, number 1003, usual snail mail delivery for us Europeans!
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

10/31/83 It has the dread "special guests" (Airto and Flora Purim...not a fan of guest artists with the GD), but it's a fine show nonetheless.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

... it would be so immoral and inappropriate for anyone to even think about buying it ... seriously, if some malevolent bootlegger produced a box with 7 shows from 1971, 7 shows that were on FM radio, that could do incredible financial damage to the Grateful Dead ... with the plethora of official releases notwithstanding, and with Dave's Picks looking ahead to 50 and beyond, it is beyond comprehension how any fan could be so selfish, so tasteless, so dismissive of the financial impact on the Grateful Dead operation, to give one red cent to the villainous bootlegger maliciously cutting in on the Dead's profits without regard to the serious financial strain Bob Weir and Phil Lesh, Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann, and their poor suffering starving families would have to endure from the manifestation of such evil! For the love of God and everything Holy! Please, please I say! Do not force Bob Weir to open a SNAP account, to auction his meager possessions, as a result of the damned thievery that such a yellow box would verily represent. Oh lord have I seen the light! Here's looking ahead to Dave's 26! To 11 17 71 and 12 14 71! Hallelujah!
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

That's pretty funny... I know a lot of Phish fans here. I think Trey meant well. Just feel that with the slower tempos and all the rust, a little bit more oomph! in the lead guitar department would have been very much welcomed.
user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

If you enjoy acoustic music, that Doc & Merle Watson box, rec'd by Bear in 1973(?), is outstanding. Doc, who was blind, refers several times to (I paraphrase) "the nice young man with the tape recorder." Doc and Merle and their compatriots come alive in your living room, thanks to Bear's sensationally good recording. Highly recommended. The music made me smile. It's been out for a few months.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

The US State Department has denied me a passport.The same documentation that got me in the Army and almost killed in Iraq is not good enough to let me go on vacation with family & friends. I'm not an American.Got it.Not worthy. Good ta know... bummed to say the least...
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

were all better than the 3 D&C shows I have seen.And the 3 D&C shows I have seen were all better than the previous Dead reincarnations I saw: 1996, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2004, and Futhur in 2011. If someone doesn’t like Trey, then of course they will be critical of the choice. Should the band have practiced more? Was GD ever really into practicing? I bought the FTW BluRay Box and initially was disappointed with the sound quality, but then discovered that it was actually my Samsung BluRay player. I bought an Onkyo BluRay player and the sound quality improved significantly. The Samsung was designed to play Hollywood movies, not concert videos. The Onkyo cost 4x as much but it was worth it because it sounds awesome. I watch a lot of concert videos, very few movies.
user picture

Member for

17 years

Those Fare The Well shows admittedly deserve some the criticisms they have received, The mail order debacle is certainly on the top of that list along with the small number of shows that were scheduled. It is true that those shows were expensive as well. The other part is that I know that the band did not rehearse together much in the lead up for that, at least that is what I read by all accounts. There is no doubt that limited performances in many ways, especially for that of Trey. Trey is awesome and he did a hell of job learning the volume songs that he did. I think given the circumstances someone who had more regular experience playing those tunes may have had more cohesiveness. However even still they would have been challenged just to due time constraints of limited rehearsal and playing time with the other band members. There were some good things about these shows though. I was lucky enough to get tickets to all 5 shows (I had to pass the last show just because my better half had to get back to work). The Santa Clara shows had some good moments and I felt like they gelled together a little bit on the second night. I thought the first night in Chicago was the best of the all of them. Overall I can’t rate the shows as stellar but they never fell into the trainwreck category for me. I am not interested in buying the CD/DVD set, but I did download the shows off of the Archive. And there are a lot of video clips and even both complete Santa Clara shows on Youtube. So between these two sources I am good. Now on a musical sense what I did take away as a positive is that even the shows were not stellar the boys displayed that they still had shades of “it”. I felt like if they would have only continued on from there they could have really done something. Of course we all know that basically did happen with Dead & Co. All guitarists arguments aside, Dead & Co. definitely benefit from rehearsal time which is key. The other thing I took a way as a positive is that I think these shows were more about a 50 year celebration than being a jam band-rocking juggernaut. To me a celebration like that means that a bunch of good people got together, listened to music and had some fun. On a personal note for me, I got to take my better half to these shows that were her only chance to experience as close to the Grateful Dead as she could get. She was born way too late and in another country so these shows were important for her to understand something I am so passionate about. Oh yeah and these shows helped me to convert her to being a Deadhead. Yay! When it is all said and done, I am happy I got to see those shows but when comparing them to post Jerry line-ups, as that is the only comparison that should be made, I think other line-ups were better. I think Dead & Co, is one of them, and I plan to catch at least one more show this summer. However my main concern is simply to continue to explore the thousands of Grateful Dead shows that are available through the Archive and many other means. That is where the magic lies.
user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

What is the reason they gave you for not issuing you a passport?
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

jrf68 - What piece of documentation did they claim you were lacking?
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

He is a good guitarist, but gave the Dead, the Sound of the Allman Brothers with his playing. Part of their history though.Guit30
product sku