• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

We had to get out of our seats to change the damn tv channel.
user picture

Member for

8 years 1 month

....Crimson white & indigo 7/7/89 turned all the way up, loud.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Lossless Bootleg Bonanza: Grateful Dead – Dania, FL (03/24/70)grateful dead - dania - 1970-03-24-Pirates-World Grateful Dead March 24, 1970 Pirate’s World Dania, FL gd70-03-24.sbd.miller.sbeok.flac16 Download: FLAC/MP3 https://themidnightcafe.org/2018/03/05/lossless-bootleg-bonanza-gratefu… This is a tagged version of shnid: 32054 Recording Info: SBD -> Master Reel -> Cassette -> Dat (44.1k) Transfer Info: Dat (Sony R500) -> SEK’D Prodif Plus -> Samplitude v8.01 Professional -> FLAC (2 Discs Audio / 1 Disc FLAC) Transferred and Edited By Charlie Miller charliemiller87@earthlink.net January 4, 2006 –Setlist– 101-d1t01 – //Morning Dew 102-d1t02 – Mama Tried 103-d1t03 – Good Lovin’ 104-d1t04 – Don’t Ease Me In 105-d1t05 – Cold Rain & Snow 106-d1t06 – High Time 107-d2t01 – Dark//Star -> 108-d2t02 – The Other One -> 109-d2t03 – St. Stephen -> 110-d2t04 – Drums -> 111-d2t05 – Not Fade Away -> 112-d2t06 – Turn on Your Lovelight -> 113-d2t07 – Me & My Uncle Pirate's World https://lostlivedead.blogspot.com/2015/04/march-24-1970-pirates-world-d… Pirate's World was an 87-acre amusement park that had opened in 1966, just North of Miami in Dania, Florida. It was located just East of US1, North of Sheridan Street (the community is now called Dania Beach, FL, and Sheridan Street is also FL822). Most of the rides were pirate themed, and there was a body of water, and one of the rides was a trip on an "actual" pirate ship. The amusement park was initially very popular when it first opened, until Disney World came on the scene in Orlando in 1971. Pirate's World closed in 1975, although it is fondly remembered by young people in the area at the time. There had been a variety of efforts to find suitable rock venues in the Miami area in the 1960s, and the Dead had played a critical role, if to little avail. Early in 1968, the Dead had played Thee Image, Miami's own Fillmore, and the band had also kicked off a series of free concerts at Graynolds Park. Later in 1968, the band had played a rock festival in nearby Hallandale (Dec 28 '68) and then, after Thee Image had closed, at a rock festival on the Seminole Indian Reservation in West Hollywood (May 23-24 '69),and at a speedway in Hollywood (Dec 28 '69). By 1970, police and civic pressure had forced touring rock bands to play outdoors in the Pirates World amusement park in Dania, just North of Hallandale (and just South of Fort Lauderdale). Note that the ticket stub suggests that when purchasing a ticket "all rides free." I wonder how "The Other One" would have sounded on a roller coaster? From the point of view of the park, it seems that the concerts were an effort to bring in teenagers. Certainly the events were memorable for those who went. An eyewitness recalls The concert area at Pirates World was inside the large amusement park. Maybe 2,000 people? 100 feet of floor space between the stage and a row of wooden bleacher seats that faced the stage. Totally open air, don't even think there was a roof over the stage. On the archive, another eyewitness chimes in lived in Ft Lauderdale from 67-69...returned to NYC in 69 and went back to Fla. numerous times. Happend to be there when this concert was announced and holy shit!I was in a band in NYC during 65-67 and bass player was a huge Dead fan. He was with us in Fla and attended this concert, too.Prior to concert, 5 of us decided to take the ride across Pirates World, sort of an ore bucket thingy. While we're waiting to get into our cage, who's in front of us but Garcia amd his entourage...we wait and they get into the cage...a few mniutes later ( we had an abnormally long wait) we get into our cage...proceed to go 1/2 way across the grounds, about 50 feet in the air, and the ride stops...we decide it is the cops who want to bust us (Fla. in 1970 was, shall we say, intolerant of long hairs) so we start smoking everything we have...3-4 jointz each at a time...paranoid, the ride finally moves and we get to the end and the kid who opens the door says "Garcia told us there were a bunch of heads behind him, and to make sure you got a good long ride." best ride of my life. 57 years old now and man, do I miss the 60s.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

March 24, 1971http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/03-24-1971 Winterland Arena San Francisco, California Not much to add to this as Forensic Doc pretty much said it all and way better than I ever could. This may very well be my favorite version of King Bee ever. Thanks Doc for hooking me up with this fine fine show.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Dead of the Day: March 24, 1973http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/03-24-1973 The Spectrum Philadelphia, Pennsylvania There are so many shows on this date, and quite a few fine ones, but our Dead of the Day is the fairest of them. The show gets off to an explosive start with a very tight Bertha; and, though it is a small thing, the last note that Jerry throw in to cap the tune is just so lovely. The next couple songs are so fresh and crisp, exemplified by the bouncy, energetic opening to Don’t Ease Me In. Then things shift gears a bit with Lesh delivering a heartfelt Box of Rain with Keith’s keys and Jerry’s lilting, reserved guitar play complementing the emotional lyrics. Row Jimmy, Looks Like Rain, and the Here Comes Sunshine are also highlights of the early going. But the best of the first half has to be the closing Playing. Keith and Phil are in sync and feeding off each other, while Jerry paints these spirited brush strokes of pure bliss to cap the set. Though it does not seem possible, the band ratchets it up a notch further in the second set, really beginning with the He’s Gone. This was just the second He’s Gone since Pigpen’s death, and it seems to have an effect on the boys, especially followed by the biographical Truckin’. Jamming out of the latter tune, they search for their next angle, coming upon a tremendous Spanish Jam. Bobby, Billy, and Phil push the pace while Jerry provides some face-melting, dance-crazed spectacularness that still leaves a tremendous amount of room for contemplative exploration. Eventually, the jam plays itself out and the boys enter into a haunting, ethereal zone before bursting forth with a four-minute Dark Star that, despite its brevity, is somehow still totally satisfying. Then the Pig reminiscence and reflection reaches its crescendo with Sing Me Back Home, the Merle Haggard tune that, though written about different circumstances, could not be more appropriate at the moment. Jerry does total justice to the lyrics while the rest of the band provides accompaniment, making it an emotional powerhouse. Ron Pigpen McKernan’s death two weeks prior to this show, on March 8th, had put the final closure on an era. He was the band’s first true frontman, the real face of the Dead through the 60s. Though Jerry had long since taken the musical reins of the band, Pigpen continued to be the major presence throughout the early seventies, busting out command vocal performances on Lovelight, Gimme Some Lovin’, Hard to Handle, and other earth shattering numbers. With his retirement from the band and subsequent passing, the Dead began to evolve once again. This time, they would become the seething monster of the Wall of Sound era. Though the full development of that sound was still another year off, it was beginning to form here in early ’73, replacing those killer Pig tunes with even more driven, spacey jams that featured Jerry but relied on the full, mind-melded participation of the rest of the band. They also began to hone their vocal performances. Though nobody would ever confuse Jerry or Bobby with Art Garfunkel or the backup of Donna and the rest of the band with the harmonies of the Beach Boys, they put together a vocal soulfulness and togetherness that fit perfectly with the Dead style and their voracious playing and could do justice to the lyrics of Hunter and Barlow as well as the traditional Americana and contemporary classics the band covered.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Lossless Bootleg Bonanza: Black Mountain Boys – Palo Alto, CA (03/07/64)black mountain boys Scott Hambly, Jerry Garcia, Sandy Rothman, Geoff Levin Black Mountain Boys 64-03-07 Unknown Location (probably The Top of the Tangent, Palo alto, CA) Download: FLAC/MP3 https://themidnightcafe.org/2018/03/24/lossless-bootleg-bonanza-black-m… Set 1 01 Happy Birthday 02 Nine Pound Hammer 03 Darling Aller Lee 04 Tuning 05 Ocean of Diamonds –Set 2– 201 – Intro 202 – Sourwood Mountain** 203 – If I Lose 204 – Homestead on the Farm 205 – Pig in a Pen 206 – Once More 207 – Stoney Creek 208 – Two Little Boys 209 – Salty Dog 210 – Rosalie McFall 211 – Teardrops in My Eyes 212 – New River Train 213 – Love Please Come Home*** 214 – Make Me a Pallet on Your Floor 215 – John Hardy outro// Source 1 (Set 1 Only): shnid: 35142 SBD->Cassette->CDR->TAE->SHN>flac sector aligned more likely line patch from pa system>MR>R>C>CD>DAE> Source 2 (Set 2 Only): shnid: 127499 Aud MR > ? > cass
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Early Jerry cool stuff here. I got every Jerry show from '61 to '95 95% tagged flac.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Legion Of MaryKeystone Berkeley, CA 05/21/1975 - Wednesday DTS-Audio-CD 5.1 Mix Sources: -- SBD Lineage: SBD > 15ips reel > 15ips reel > DAT Transfer 1: DAT > Sony R500 > Genesis Digital Lens > Fostex CR200 > CD Transfer 2: CD > EAC > WAV > SHN -- Audience FOB Recording Media: Maxell UD90 Lineage: Sony ECM-270 and ECM-250 Blended [Positioned Onstage] > Sony TC-152 > MAC Transfer: MAC > Nak Dragon > LynxTWO Model B > WaveLab 5.0 > HD 24/96 WAV Taper: Bob Menke and Louis Falanga Transfer: Bob Menke Mastering: Jamie Waddell Set 1: d1t01 - That's The Touch I Like d1t02 - I Feel Like Dynamite d1t03 - Last Train From Poor Valley d1t04 - Finders Keepers d1t05 - Tough Mama d1t06 - That's What Love Will Make You Do Set 2: d2t01 - I'll Take A Melody d2t02 - You Can Leave Your Hat On d2t03 - Mississippi Moon d3t01 - Harder They Come d3t02 - Creepin' d3t03 - How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) Comments: How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) is cut on the master reel. Recordings: SBD>15 ips reel>15ips reel>DAT>Sony R500>Genesis Digital Lens> Fostex CR200>CD>WAV(EAC)>SHN note: Disc 2 Track #5 was originally labeled Jam #8, but according to www.thejerrysite.com this is in fact Creepin', an instrumental version of Stevie Wonder's version which appears on his 1974 album "Fulfillingness' First Finale". tsl@volition.org patched with Bob Menke/Louis Falanga's MAC just released by MOTB (shnid=87086) Man this sounds so good in DTS 5.1 Surround Sound.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Yeah that did suck. Brings back memories. I had these channels: VHF 3 (NBC) 6 (ABC) 10 (CBS) 12 (PBS) UHF 17 (WPHL) 29 (WTAF) 48 (WKBS) 7 channels, watched them all, shit was free. Now I have 900 channels, still only watch 7, shit costs $200 a month. But I don't have to get up to change the channel.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

ha.. so true. $200 a couple hundred channels of crap and 6 or 7 that are worth watching a fourth of the time. The more things change, the more they remain the same, except much more expensive. What would Captain Kangaroo have to say about that?
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Rabbit ear antennaes. That had to be re-positioned for each channel.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

The USA network back in the day ran a late evening program called, 'Night Flight.' It was kick-ass. Full of live concert performances, remember one of Cheap Trick in particular. Also, like South American dope footage in the days before all these cable documentaries. And watching Wolfman Jack and the Midnight Special. Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. There's youtube of all this, of course, but back then it was cool to catch the broadcasts. Like a late-night pirate radio program, some kind of score.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I'm pretty partial to this Scarlet>Fire. pretty laid back and mellow as is most of the show which isn't a bad thing. but despite the reviews I don't think bob forgot the words to Hell in a Bucket as much as it was his microphone wasn't working as I saw on the video voodoonola posted on youtube. it is the anniversary of the 3/24/90 and Spring 90. but its also the anniversary of 3/24/91 and Spring Tour '91 both a great show and tour for me as well. particularly the March shows
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

My favorite Wolfman Jack reference: https://archive.org/details/gd1973-03-26.sbd.miller.34787.sbeok.flac16 03/26/73 Baltimore Civic Center - Baltimore, MD Set 1: Promised Land Mississippi Half-Step The Race Is On Wave That Flag Jack Straw Sugaree Mexicali Blues Box Of Rain Row Jimmy Beat It On Down The Line Brown-Eyed Women El Paso China Cat Sunflower I Know You Rider Looks Like Rain Don't Ease Me In Playin' In The Band Set 2: Ramble On Rose Big River Here Comes Sunshine Greatest Story Ever Told Candyman Me And My Uncle He's Gone Truckin' WRS Prelude Wharf Rat Me And Bobby McGee Eyes Of The World Morning Dew Encore: One More Saturday Night ______________________________________________ At some point perhaps six or seven years ago I listened to all of the 73 and 74 shows back to back in close proximity. I thought the Philly and Baltimore shows in the Spring '73 were as strong as any that tour. The Wolfman introduced the band in Baltimore and they opened the second set with Ramble On Rose. "Just Like Wolfman Jack" Pretty cool historical reference and one hell of a show that turns 45 years old tomorrow. Cheers to you and RIP Wolfman Jack. And Happy Birthday Baltimore '73.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Wolfman Jack was also on a Married With Children episode also, I DO let the mashed potatoes touch my pork chop it doesn't bother me lol. is this a real thing? this I don't want mashed potatoes touching my pork chop? cuz its the first I ever heard of it. now...corn I don't want it touching JACK SHIT on my plate
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

It's nice to see some recognition of a largely unappreciated American icon. The Ron Howard film, American Graffiti, features such a nice tribute. Living in America, listening to records, going to concerts, used to feel different. Hanging outside the record store for Ticketron or whatever to open, knowing you would get tickets. What else mattered? I can't say I miss it, because that would make me a nostalgic sap with no hope. I'll say, I was there then, and it felt right. When I get ready for those Dead & Co. shows this summer, I'll be channeling that vibe and right back there. I think that's the key, being an open portal to when it was all happening, not dropping the key and so it's still kind of happening. Isn't it? Ha! See you there.
user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

All of it. Just like I miss Phoebe Cates coming out of the pool. Sleeping overnight in front of Sears waiting for Ticketron to open. Rushing to approach a demeaning woman who scoffed at your attempt to purchase tickets for concerts up and down the East coast. Only to be vindicated by the bewildered look as the tickets printed. We knew something nobody else did. We were young kids outsmarting the folks in charge. From tickets, to hotels, to airlines, to rental cars. Everything. It felt good. And still does.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

speaking of Fast Times at Ridgemont High it's like Dude: you banged a minor lol
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Didn't have that problem when I was very young in England for the simple reason that there was only one channel, the good old BBC. When the BBC closed down for the night, the last broadcast of each day was the playing of the national anthem, after which you had to get up to turn the TV off - and kept looking at the screen until the little white dot in the middle disappeared. Later, with the coming of an independent channel, the choice was expanded to two channels and one did have to get up to change channels, but it was years before there were more than four channels.
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Yep, we did that too. It wasn't until 1981 or so when I got my first television with remote control not long after MTV hit the cable television line-up. My parents cable bill in 1953 was $1.50 per month. At the time, the cable TV line-up consisted of several Philadelphia based television broadcasters and several New York City based TV broadcasters. No HBO, no CNN and no MTV. That system was a "community antenna" type business. Service Electric Cable Television was founded in later 1948 and still going strong in eastern Pennsylvania and western New Jersey. The company was started in 1948 in Mahanoy City, Pennsylvania by John Walson, who owned a General Electric appliance store. At the time, the surrounding mountains in Schuylkill County made over-the-air reception from Philadelphia television stations difficult. Walson, who was interested in selling television sets through his store, solved the problem by building an antenna on top of the mountain overlooking the town. He initially ran a cable to his warehouse and then to his appliance store, using boosters to enhance the signal. Along the way, he hooked up neighbors to the antenna system. Although there are others who have laid claim to the honor, Walson is often recognized for having built the first cable TV system in the United States. Until Walson's death, the company was known as Service Electric Cable TV, Inc., which was based in Bethlehem, PA.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

We used a pillow, we called it a "TV brick" when ever something came on that we did not like or was just bad, we thru the pillow at the tv and said "TV brick" which meant bad tv. The pillow had to be just right, not hard, not too soft, not too big but big enough to make an impact. Of course, one had to get up to retrieve the brick, but that was part of the fun. For your listening pleasure 3-25-1993, the next night at the Dean Smith Center. Another great performance by the boys includes several new songs that are played just right. A great solo by Jerry on the opening Touch of Grey, a slew of new songs in the first set including a good So Many Roads, Lazy River Road, Eternity and Liberty, all delivered with gusto and feeling. Sprinkled among some fine renditions of GSET, Minglewood, with a NC reference, Mexicali, Big River and a fine Friend of the Devil. The second set is where we get off, a very well delivered China Cat>Rider followed by a great Man smart with crowd participation weaving into Wave to the Wind, a good song done well here, too bad Phil refuses to release this song, one of his better muses from the 90's. Why Phil? I have heard that you don't like this tune, which escapes logic. This precedes a beautiful Terrapin into a fantastic Drums>Space sequence that flows quite effortlessly into Vince's Way to go Home, wow. Then, the real reason to listen, this great Other One followed by a fantastic Morning Dew. Jerry pulls out all the stops and his voice is right on. The Weight finishes the evening and we all go home, our minds magnificently blown.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In the late 60's, early 70's they used to sell a form rubber brick just for throwing at your TV!
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Would have been funny to replace it with a real brick while no one was watching.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Miller Magichttps://archive.org/details/gd1972-03-25.133593.sbd.miller.flac1648 Grateful Dead Live at Academy of Music on 1972-03-25 by Grateful Dead Publication date 1972-03-25 Topics Soundboard, Charlie Miller Collection GratefulDead Band/Artist Grateful Dead Resource DeadLists Project Set 1 Hey Bo Diddley*-> I'm A Man*-> Jam*-> Take It Off*-> Mona*, Wow Wow Hey Hey*, Slow Blues*, Pollution*, Eighteen Children*, Jam*, Jam* Set 2 How Sweet It Is, Are You Lonely For Me, Next Time You See Me, Brown Eyed Women, Smokestack Lightning, Sitting On Top Of The World, Sugaree, Looks Like Rain, Bertha, Mr. Charlie, Playin' In The Band, Good Lovin', Turn On Your Love Light *w/ Bo Diddley; Hell's Angels party; Other artist on bill: Bo Diddley Notes Notes: -- Billed as Jerry Garcia and Friends -- Set 1 with Bo Diddley -- Truckin' tease in Smokestack Lightnin'
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

“My dad is a TV repair man. He has an awesome set of tools.” Good ol’ Spicoli.
user picture

Member for

12 years 4 months

eating pizza and learning about Cuba!
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

pre-miller Lossless Bootleg Bonanza: Grateful Dead – Los Angeles, CA (03/25/66) Grateful Dead 03/25/66 Troupers Hall Los Angeles, CA Download: FLAC/MP3 https://themidnightcafe.org/2016/10/31/lossless-bootleg-bonanza-gratefu… This is flac encoded & tagged version of shnid: 38 Stealin’ [#1:37] Jam [7:41] Hey Little One [4:46] Hog For You Baby [2:49] You Don’t Have To Ask [5:56] Cold Rain And Snow [3:24] Next Time You See Me [2:30#] S:MR>DAT>ZA2>CD Transcribed by Teddy GoodBear: Troupers Hall was the meeting room for a retired actor’s club in Hollywood. The rent for the gig could’nt. have been much. We did everything ourselves, all in two days. We plastered handbills all over Hollywood. Stage decor was a few lengths of paisley cloth purchased that afternoon at a fabric store. For a box office, we had a card table and a cigar box. Our not-quite-full house must have had over a hundred people; and when the night was over, our net take was $75. At 2 o’clock in the morning, we went to Cantor’s Deli on Fairfax and spent it all on dinner for everybody — with dessert. — Grateful Dead Family Album (page 43). Recordings: 30 SB. The complete list circulates in SBD. The beginning of Stealin’ is clipped with a significant portion missing. The end of Next Time You See Me cuts with a significant portion missing. Sometimes this recording incorrectly circulates as 01/??/66 or 01/22/66. To see a recording box label, (as per Michael Wanger letter, see 07/??/66), from Golden State Great Rosie McGee picture of this show https://rosiemcgee.smugmug.com/GratefulDead-1/Grateful-Dead-Photos/i-n7…
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Quite a lot of good photos enclosed in that link-thanks. I seem to remember she wrote a book a few years ago about her experiences with the Dead-Dancing With The Dead, I think it was called. Its a while since I have read a book on the band, but I was tempted by that one-seemed as though it could be a bit different.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....down to that union hall. The Knick. 3.25.90. All night long!!....I remember when my dad got our first VHS player. The top loader with the ka-chunk buttons. Remote connected by a cable. Blew my mind. I believe the first thing we watched on it was Roots. The ability to pause play was amazing. Ahhh, the good ole days....
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....a sign spinner on a street corner going off! Noticed he was wearing a Cats Down Under The Stars tee. Dancin' hard. I pulled up and rolled down my window. "Whatcha listening to?" Guy was maybe 24 years old. He pulled out both earbuds and replied " The Dead! Reinhalle 1972!" Dude has good taste. His name was Liam. Traded numbers. Said he just started listening to the Dead a couple of months ago. Spotify brought him there. Said they've all he's been listening to since. Bought the Cats shirt because it looked "bad ass." ( No argument here). The Wheel keeps turning. I honestly forgot what his sign said. Oh well.... Drove past him on my way back from my destination. Still dancin'. Gave me a thumbs up and grinned hard....
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Never had heard / heard of Wave To The Wind...watched the 3/25/93 video (Danny Tanner). It's not terrible, I didn't find it a very compelling song itself but the interludes were fine for some pleasant Jerry noodling. Sounds like Eyes if it was written by early 90s Sting. Started to rewatch The Other One documentary on Netflix, maybe will finish it later. From what I remember, I think I enjoyed it more than the Amazon Long Strange Trip. Obviously a different scope, and I enjoyed all the video and insight on LST but something about the pace/direction didn't hold my attention. I guess I didn't expect to learn anything new from a piece like that, but didn't come away as gleaning anything from it. Unrelated (Or is it?), saw Weird Al a few weekends ago. Cross that off my seventh grade self's wishlist...now just have to meet Jennifer Love-Hewitt and that list will be Closed, thank you very much. He did Dare To Be Stupid as done by the Grateful Dead (ie ~Truckin'). And closed with the Saga Begins...fun show.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Your post reminded me of a college buddy who was nicknamed Spicoli. He entered same year as me and lived across the dorm hall. Always out drinking and smoking weed from day one. Never saw him in a class, but he was at every single party I ended up at. I only partied Thurs, Fri, and Sat, but he would come floating in every night around 2 and play Nintendo in my room. Would wake up some mornings for class, and he'd be asleep on the floor with a game controller in his hand, and Tecmo Bowl or Mike Tyson's Punchout on TV. My roommate didn't care much for his late night antics, but not much to be done about it. He couldn't lock him out, because there was no air conditioning and the door had to be left open for circulation. So after a few weeks, my roommate finally asked him to stop coming in at night. Spicoli agreed, but showed up anyway with KFC for him. Actually roused him from sleep to present it (drunk and high, of course). Ah, the good old days. Like the "real" Spicoli, he was very entertaining and fun to be around. Big Zeppelin fan. He flunked out out after the first semester and I never saw him again. Can't remember his real name. Anyway, thanks for the memories icecrmcnkd. Spicoli, if you're out there, ring me up bro and we'll put on a little Zep.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Capitol Theater, Port Chester, NY, 2/20/71. Just arrived, a real nice listen. Just released on cd. Sound quality tremendous, to my ears, for a radio broadcast.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Ah yes, freshman year in college.I lived by the Bluto Blutarsky/Spicoli motto too. Simultaneously on academic and disciplinary probation, earned a 1.0 GPA (a whole point higher than Bluto’s) for the year, and wasn’t allowed to return the following fall. Yeah, that would certainly piss off anybody’s parents, but I one-upped it and got a DUI/possession of greenery the weekend after spring semester ended. My first Dead Show was 4-6-89, and I was still on probation for that DUI at the time. Guess I kind of violated probation by going to that show..... Totally worth the risk. Aaaahhhh, memories of a young and dumb kid......
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Seven years of college down the drain... Glad to see you didn't give up. After all,..was it over after Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? My dad has an awesome set of tools.. we can fix it.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....I took an entire semester of Milton's Paradise Lost. I went to one class high on acid. I got Lost in Paradise that afternoon. Scored a B. I also scored a nice sofa today at a good price. Also scored Thor: Ragnarok and Blade Runner 2049 on Blu-ray. Because beneath these deadhead layers, a geek slumbers....
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I have seen the original Blade Runner more times than any other film, in the dozens. I used to fall asleep to it. I have listened to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue more times in full than any other album. I used to fall asleep to it. I once fell asleep in my 2nd story loft, awoke, and looked outside to see ghostlike, transparent figures hanging in the trees. Knowing this was a dream, I blinked it off several times. They never left, and, as the album was still playing, I shrugged it off and went back to sleep. Nothing bad happened. Blade Runner 2049 looks phenomenal on today's big TVs. When I went to it in the theater, I was high on vodka and oxycontin. Kids, don't try this at home. In such a state the visuals were pleasing, but I never really got all that engaged with the characters or the storyline. It just felt like an homage to the original, and more a collection of scenes than a story. Later with the wife we watched it at home. Sans the booze and pills, maybe a little red wine. Sadly, my first impression was confirmed, it's a bit lackluster even if the gloomy mood is right.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....saw it in the theatre in 1982. Blew my 14 year old mind. Have seen it umpteen times since. Still raises questions. Ragnarok? Immigrant Song besides, a fun movie. The family loves it. Even grandpa. Mark Mothersbaugh did the score. And hit it out of the cosmos. Kinda like a hammer I know of....geeking out because Marvel Studios got the lore right. Love Superhero movies or not, the cenematic universe they constructed is impressive. Most impressive....
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Who is - Darth Vader in the carbon freezing chamber with the red light saber.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Everybody is either making love or else expecting rain.. Today 3/26 starts the first of two nights in Hartford big Dave's first show and has what I think is another one of his favorite songs "My Bro Esau" since this tune would appear in four of the last eight 30 days of dead. Charlie Miller "This show is why there is an '87' in my email address" https://archive.org/details/gd1987-03-26.138162.sbd.miller.flac24
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

The guy with the red light saber was Thor's 3rd cousin on his mother's side. He kept making holes in the wall with his hammer. They thought the light saber was less dangerous!
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I stumbled across this show over the weekend; I had missed this Road Trips when it came out for whatever reason and the show popped up on Spotify so I took a listen. Fairly standard setlist for a '71 to my eyes, 'cept for the cool Dark Star > el Paso > Dark Star in the FIRST SET. But what truly caught my ear was toward the end of the show, after they played Not Fade Away and then just started jamming....I recall hearing this portion on Saturday and thinking "man, they were JUST playing Not Fade Away, but is sure sounds like they went back into Dark Star jamming territory here....".... and so, I was sort of mesmerized for several minutes during this jamming, before Jerry gently pulls it back into Goin' Down the Road. I dunno, I've just never heard them go off and do that during a NFA>GDRFB transition...it was totally cool, took me off guard, and proved once again that greatness might always lurk around the next corner. I now consider myself schooled on 11/15/71. I assume Doc might be proud. https://archive.org/details/gd71-11-15.sbd.cotsman.12438.sbeok.shnf Sixtus P.S. KeithFan: 007 373 5963
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

I was wondering if anyone knows whether the itunes version is lossless or not. I ask because the album for volume 1 on itunes is $15.99 which is the mp3 price on nugs. thanks for all the info, I am slowly working on filling in the gaps.
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

A show I just "discovered" today, via deadlists.com, that is NOT on archive.org: Grateful Dead Melodyland Theatre Anaheim, CA. 3/26/68 - Tuesday (Set) One: Sittin' On Top Of The World; Dark Star; Good Morning Little Schoolgirl; Death Don't Have No Mercy Comments: Different song order given in DeadBase XI, which also lists a Dark Star and the Eleven. DeadBase XI also lists this date as at the Melodyland in Anaheim, but this is not correct. DeadLists received a report was received from someone (see Deadlists Digest #965) who said: "I found a show that my mom saw way back in 1968; 3.26.68. You have listed it as an unknown location, but it was at the Melodyland theatre in Anaheim California." There were three concerts at the Melodyland in March of 1968 (the 8th and 9th with early and late shows on the 9th). These have been confirmed by a newspaper ad in the LA Free Press (see Deadlists Digest #909). The person who's mom attended an undocumented concert in March of 1968 at the Melodyland jumped to the conclusion that it was on the 26th at the "unknown venue" concert. This concert on the 26th needs to be further investigated to discover its location. I only have DeadBase 10 which is currently misplaced. Melodyland in Anaheim sounds like it was a twist on the original Disneyland Park. I wonder what other band(s) were on the bill at Melodyland that night.
product sku