• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Sixtus - Yes! That's the NFA jam I highlighted a few months ago - the setlist looks kinda standard but that jam in NFA goes on for a looong time and has many moments that are Other One-ish. A scooby-snack where you don't expect one.... and a jam I will go back to often. Speaking of Scooby Doo - here's a killer local (Boston) band I recently mentioned that recently played the Scooby Duo background music at a show I saw. NOT the cheesy main theme song with vocals, but the jazzy background music. I recognized it instantly and just about fell out of my chair from the nostalgia... If you ever watched Scooby Doo, this melody will bring a smile to your face: https://youtu.be/Jchxzag1-ik. Some great guitar work if you listen to the whole track.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Jeepers..
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Listening to that 11/15/71 sequence on Spotify now...to quote Swingers, well Michael, I'll bite. Transportational stuff. I haven't been as high on '71 lately as I once imagined (Dave's 22 and Bonus didn't knock me out), but the NFA > Goin' Down The Road from Skull & Roses is one of the prime movers of me being a Dead fan, so hearing this one from ~7 months later getting all out there is a treat. That Skull & Roses track, plus the Bertha opener, are untouchables to me. Though I still haven't heard all of that release..so mine is probably like a cow's opinion to you all (that is, moo). This Road Trips has long been on my radar as a necessary acquisition, but I've been slow playing on getting the Road Trips. Still getting up to speed on other stuff, so it's nice to leave some mystery out there. The Fillmore '69 box set is another one, maybe someday I'll pay the ungodly amount on the secondary market or acquire by other methods, but not Russian it.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

First, what a perfect descriptor for the instantly found delicious nugget. Second, that theme song is totally It. I was pretty much raised on Scooby Doo after school there for a few years; latch-key and all, you know? Love that kind of music. Reminds me of Medeski Martin & Wood with some Scofield thrown in. Another Boston meeting house. Third, I clearly missed your offering of the aforementioned NFA jammyness and I have now experienced it by mere happenstance but the fact that these sort of shows get the spotlight is what really counts. We All know how the song enlightens: "Sometimes you can get shown the light… " Next, Muleskinner applause your way for jumping down a rabbit hole. Finally. "If it wasn't for you meddling kids I would've gotten away with it!!" - Old Man Withers Sixtus
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I'll see your "007 373 5963" and raise you a "Created by Warren Robinett"
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....X. VEGAS GOLDEN KNIGHTS ARE PLAYOFF BOUND!! sorry for the interruption. As you were..... . . VegasStrong
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

I think if we start telling bestiality jokes and arguing over our favorite Kiss album they will announce a new release. That's always worked in the past.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Yeah, I remember as if it was yesterday, being 9 yrs old and the neighbor kid down the street showing us "the secret of the speck". This uncharted surprise turnred out to be a bigger thrill than winning the game. Good stuff. I ended up getting one of those Atari throwback consoles last year, and sure enough, the old trick still works. Best KISS album? Alive! and Destroyer. Best of the solo albums - Ace Frehley of course.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Ok I'll bite. Did you hear the one about the princess kissing the frog. Let's see best kiss album that's easy.... none. Ok I'm waiting
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I heard from a reliable source that MaryE called Dave on his red phone in the wee hours this morning. This phone is only to be used in dire emergencies.. and is usually followed by breaking news. A box set announcement is imminent.. unless, of course, Dave is on holiday with Bolo in the Peruvian rain forest which case we will have to wait for him to come down before he films the release announcement. This, of course, is a distinct possibility.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Scooby Doo background music.... ...on acid. Jeepers. Scooby Doo meets Kiss Dave.. save us from ourselves.. Post the seaside chat already!
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

never quite understood the popularity of that band.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Scooby and Shaggy sure seemed to like them. I feel a box set announcement bubbling up through the works here. I have no idea what it's going to be.. but a box set of rare, old, extremely kick ass partials is likely going to get released at some point. Especially if some of those partials are from those old 8 tracks they made in the Pacific NW in 1968. Channeling Dave making a seaside chat video today... The weather in Vancouver today... am rain, ending late morning. High of 52, partly cloudy, winds SW 5 to 10 mph. Sounds like great release video weather if you ask me.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 3 months

Is anyone else getting tired of looking at the exact same home page everyday? They need to spice it up...with a new release!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I think last year I said Rock and Roll Over, so I'm going with Rock and Roll Over.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

https://archive.org/details/gd1987-03-27.140855.sbd.miller.flac2496 We have two other very good shows played on this day. https://archive.org/details/gd1986-03-27.121600.sbd.miller.flac16 Only time "Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues" was ever performed. And In the strangest of places... https://archive.org/details/gd1988-03-27.141213.sbd.miller.flac2496 Another just released ultra-matrix master.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

though the possibility of returned tapes must stay DL's hand in that regard. At least from '69 onwards. But '68? It's nearly inconceivable that tapes from '68 sit undiscovered somewhere. At least, I've never heard of a '68 tape 'discovery' or 'return.' A two-disc set of partials from '68? Gawd, brilliant idea. DaP 26 is due in April, right? So the window for an Anthem or box announcement is closing.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I bet you are correct, HF.. but if there were to be a few undiscovered ones, they would likely come via the Owsley Foundation or another Owsley source. Keep in mind.. the last reel or two from Dave's Picks 24 (8/25/72 BCT) were Owsley recorded and did not circulate prior to the release, so who knows.. Maybe there was a poorly labeled box in the tapes Bear held on to. Here's to hope, Without Love In The Dream.. right? Also, I bet there are some snippets that just never fit into other offerings. ..and weren't those 8 tracks that became the 68 Road Trips found just prior to that release. Did they release them all?
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Great link. I downloaded that bad boy right away! They seem to be up on the archive. I only hit one song, one show, real quick, but it was a nice recording. I will be going back to that well. But just for the sake of argument, I didn't know the Scooby tune, I was too old when the Scooby came out and never watched. The guitar work was nice and you can NEVER go wrong with a B3!
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

I'm going with Alive II. The fourth album side was new studio tracks. I can see how some can't get past the theatrics and makeup, but the music is well-crafted power pop/melodic hard rock in the vein of Cheap Trick with a heavy Beatles influence. Still don't hear it? No worries here. I can't get into Phish. Gene Simmons bass lines are underrated. Granted, the over-the-topness and marketing blitz of this band are a bit much at times, but as a part of the soundtrack of my youth I will always have a soft spot for this music. \m/
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Dennis - Glad you like. The "B3 Kings" have a ton of great stuff on Archive.org. The band members rotate a bit based on the core members' touring schedules with J. Geils/Roomful of Blues and all the other bands they participate in. Look for Archive.org recordings that include not only Johnny Trama (the one guy who never rotates out) but also Jeff Lockhart (Berklee Music professor, Beyoncé, Dido) or Duke Levine (J. Geils, Mary Chapin Carpenter) who are stunning guitarists with impressive resumés if you Google them. Johnny also plays in a Rhode Island-based band called "The Silks" with blues singer/guitar virtuoso Tyler-James Kelly: /var/folders/d0/3h5ktk414r3gh3zb7ygkr8wc0000gn/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/IMG_1732.mov (You may have to cut/paste that address into the browser - it's worth it - the guys picking is stunning and kinda reminiscent of the western swing band "Jimmie Rivers and the Cherokees", which we have discussed.) Bostonians - Johnny Trama and the B3 Kings play TONIGHT (and most every Tuesday) 10pm-1am at the Plough and Stars in Cambridge - a great music venue that's basically a small bar with the band in the corner. I'll probably be there - They usually have one of the guys mentioned above sit in... amazing that you can just walk in off the street and sit next to the most accomplished guitarists in New England as they perform. I love Boston.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Another Johnny Trama project in the Boston area is Dub Apocalypse. Tommy Benedetti and Van Martin play in this group and they do some pretty sweet reggae jamming. These shows are also on Archive. org. And of course, Benedetti and Martin have sat in numerous times with my favorite Boston area band, Club D'elf. I have never checked out the B3 Kings, but i certainly will now. Any bands with these guys are going to be great.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Just the leaves. As the president of Colombia said recently: La hoja de coca no es droga... As for '68 snippets, returns, etc., I'm totally Sgt. Schultz on that. As for an announcement on Anthem reissue/'68 show or a box, we at least have a fresh Bolo sighting to tweak us. I'd go back to my original reasoning: that with Anthem/'68 show being released and DaP 26 being late '71, and the ABCD Enterprises focus for 18 months on '77-'78, they gotta branch out. My guess remains a small box, even (3) shows, from '76 (more ABCD) or Summer '73, the latter being the biggest gap in the official output at this point. (And with the '78 box still not sold-out, they might go with the sure-sales period of early '70s.) But I'm here, and Dave's in charge of the vault, so I can speculate all day long -- and sometimes do. That said, in hometown news, there's going to be a 50th anniversary release of Electric Ladyland with alts and outtakes, according to Janie Hendrix in a recent interview. After that, a Maui '70 documentary with full-on music soundtrack.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

What a wild story that is.. Here's a short snippet. https://belhistory.weebly.com/maui.html The whole story is much more involved and at times hard to believe, but true. Go for one of the books: https://www.amazon.com/Orange-Sunshine-Brotherhood-Eternal-Spread/dp/03… or the more detailed, probably better read https://www.amazon.com/Brotherhood-Eternal-Love-Flower-Counterculture/d… and lastly a brief discussion on youtube.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Hope it's a good box set. An elderly man is taking his grandson on a tour of his farm. They pause under a large oak tree and the old man says "Under this tree I made love for the first time. And under that tree over there her mother sat and watched the whole thing!" The incredulous grandson says "Holy cow! What did she say?" "Baaa!"
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

What did the sheep say to the redneck as he walked by... Daaaa-dddd. (sorry..) I was at a Hot Tuna show a few years ago and Jorma told us his own WV sheep joke at the beginning of Good Shepherd. I can't find any reference to it on line, but he told us it was a true story from an Athens Ohio native (just across the Ohio river from WV). Come on Dave.. Don't make us beg. It's already getting ugly.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Downhill From Here.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I listened to the vinyl copy of this for the first time today-wow! Like the other vinyl albums I have bought by The Dead recently, it has an incredible sound. Someone said on here last week that Phil's bass playing stands out on this set. Does it ever! Probably the loudest instrument in the mix. It sounds superb on the opening track Bertha-but he is ever present on all 4 sides, and all 4 are immaculate. It occurred to me listening, that in most of the 72 shows I have heard from this year, which have been from from March and April, I have focussed on different musicians at different times-sometimes Keith, sometimes Bob, usually Jerry..but not Phil so much. Try ignoring him on this one!
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Talking of other bands on here...there seem to have been a few live Cream cds released recently. I got one called Live In Detroit, which is an FM recording from Detroit's Grande Ballroom 15th October 1967. The sound isn't up to the standard of the releases that have been available for decades-its an FM recording at the end of the day-but its not bad. And the music is incredible. Cream had a massive impact in the 60s, and tend to be overlooked a bit now. They apparently had a profound effect on the West Coast. Jefferson Airplane souped up their sound accordingly after having seen them. And, according to Rock Skully, Jerry was so impressed that he got Rock to sack Pigpen and Bob, so he could front a power trio of his own-Mickey and The Hartbeats. A disastrous decision, which was quickly remedied.
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Imagine what Annie Haslam might have brought to the Dead........................Even as a guest spot.......
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I'm with you man. There are some outstanding moments on this record. I'm a big Ace fan, so I really dig his guitar solos on just about every song. My favorite solos from Ace on it: the one at the end of Love Gun; the one in Dr. Love (not to mention the backing vocals from Paul, and the mean-ass hook, and Peter's drumming, which swings like mad); and of course the solo in Shock Me (the one in the middle of the song, I mean, not the unaccompanied Ace-only one at the end - although that is hot too). I could go on. Makin' Love and God of Thunder guitar solos from Ace. Will never forget the Re-union in '96 at MSG. Hands down the most raucous crowd from beginning to end. Drunks playing air-guitar and rocking out in those vestibules where the concourse meets the stairwells in each section.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Sheep "jokes" are pretty much the only thing that'll interest me in hearing Bobby's yellow dog story, which ALWAYS sucked. Okay, now I'm scared to check the forum. Will I get an email notification if a box or Anthem/50 is announced? Of course, there's that question of what Walmart and Michael Jackson had in common: boys pants, half off.................... Aaaaaauuuuuuugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

My 93 year-old Grandmother passed today. It was not unexpected and I am not looking for sympathy; but I honor her now by playing Nat King Cole, her favorite. Later we will have a swig and go pour some brandy on the curb. Her favorite drink; some kind of old (Irish?) tradition. -- As far as Ace Frehley, man, that cool vibrato and how Ace just kind of hung out during his solos... Ace was the coolest member of KISS and just drips with coolness. I found an Ace shirt online, shipped from Germany, with his portrait from the solo album on front. It gets comments no matter where I wear it. Maybe I should rock it at Dead & Co. this summer. I'll agree that 1996 reunion show was a hoot! We were only about 20 rows back on Ace's side of the stage. Unforgettable, even if much of what's transpired since then is.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx3g-0yalV0 Why? No one can say. Edit: Led - I'm sorry for your loss. We'll pour some out here in WV as well. I'm not well-spoken on Nat, but my favorite that I know was always his version of God Rest Ye Merry, Gentleman. Listening now for you guys.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I stumbled across these guys a couple of months ago. KISS would be proud. Playing here in Vegas soon as a matter of fact, but at $45 a ticket, I think they're biting off too much Quarter Pounder than they can chew....I mean, Galactic is playing The Brooklyn Bowl tonight and their tix are only $25. Wait! Galactic's playing!....shit.
product sku