• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

Ha! Ha! Ha! from a "self-professed Grateful Dead 70's mafia" type *guy.* http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/04-01-1991 The music is so good, we just have to return again to 1991 at the Greensboro Coliseum for our Dead of the Day, finishing off the two-night run that we started yesterday. The sound is just as light and airy as the day before, but with more purpose. Bobby sounds more involved and, at times, he keeps a bit of a faster rhythm, which seems to have an effect on everyone else. The Jack Straw opener is solid, but the boys really get going with the Peggy-O, with Jerry leading the way on vocals and guitar. Candyman and Bird Song - an epic one - are also first set highlights. However, as you might have guessed looking at the setlist, the real fireworks come out in the second half. The set-opening China> Rider is fabulous, just unbelievable, particularly the Rider. The jam in the Rider is so solid, but on top of that you have Jerry using some sort of strings section MIDI for part of it. That softer sound allows Bruce to be heard more clearly, opening a space for him to jam alongside Jerry, which, as you might expect, ends fantastically. In the LLRain that follows, Jerry continues playing profoundly. The version also has a little bit of Bobby vocal cheese, including an incredible echo effect at one point that was probably caused by Healy, in one of his better interventions. Then, after teasing it the night before, the Dark Star finally comes out. Given that they start off noodling on the theme, though, it would be several minutes before anyone could be absolutely certain the band was going fully into the tune. Even once they get into the first verse, the boys are still playing in a desultory fashion, warming to the music and drawing in the crowd. Slowly, the jam takes on more and more form, building an intricate lattice of splendor and glory. By the time they leave the stage to the drummers, things have entered into a seriously weird realm somewhere in the outer reaches of the galaxy. Drums and Space takes things out even further into worlds unknown before briefly returning to the lusciousness of Dark Star. Then, the boys finish off some more business from the night before, almost stumbling into a short Playing reprise. The rest of the set is good too, though the Lovelight is far too short. The Dead played seven shows at the Greensboro Coliseum over the years, and this, sadly, was the last one. They certainly went out on a high note though, with this sweet little two-show run that is a real highlight of spring 1991. The coliseum itself opened in 1959. Its original seating capacity of 23,000 made it one of the largest indoor venues in the South. The Monkees headlined the first major concert at the venue, and Richard Nixon visited during his failed 1960 presidential campaign. Along with one of my favorite shows: 1 April 1988 (and a portion of 31/03/88) which escaped from the GD Vault disguised as "Road Trips, Vol. 4., No. 2 APRIL FOOLS 88" on 1 February 2011. A 3 disc set. http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/04-01-1988 As for the 70's, especially 1970 thru '75, the television series, "The Wonder Years" come to mind. My own personal "wonder years" were '68 thru '75. They were cool!
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Please tell us ordering this box has been fixed! No more endleessly filling a shopping cart with no option for shipping, wondering if I ordered the box 30 times or not a all, no more making my wife witness a grown man gothrough the seven stages of grief repeatedly at lightning speed as a website keeps crashing. I don't even care what the box is I just want one. When is Dave gonna offer a preffered customer Dead.net only pre-sale?...just make sure im on the list.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

...to those thrilling days of yesteryear. Brought to you by a "self-professed member of the Grateful Dead Sixties Syndicate" April 1, 1967 http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/04-01-1967 KMPX Radio San Francisco, California This is one of the coolest thing out there in that it is a free form radio program with Jerry and Phil as the guests. It is all part of Tom "Big Daddy" Donahue's progressive radio program on KMPX, which was the birthplace of underground radio back in the 60s. Jerry, Phil, and Tom spend about two hours playing their favorite tunes and talking, both earnestly and humorously, about music and all sorts of other things. Not only are Phil and Jerry hysterical, but you also get such an incredible insight into both the time period and Phil and Jerry's sense of music. It is also so neat to hear the two of them get so pumped because they had a gig out in New York City. But, really, there are dozens of other nuggets like that in the recording. This is absolutely not to be missed! This was aired sometime in April 1967, but not necessarily on this date.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

https://archive.org/details/gd80-04-01.sbd.miller.12386.sbeok.shnf https://archive.org/details/gd1984-04-01.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.1058… 1988-04-01 Road Trips: Vol 4, Number 2: April Fool's '88 The Omni, Atlanta, GA, April 1, 1990. Spring 1990 (The Other One) https://archive.org/details/gd1991-04-01.137439.sbd.miller.flac24 Only April Fools Dark Star.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

Sorta... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grateful-Dead-Anthem-Anniversary-Deluxe/dp/B07… Release date was listed as 7/13/18 before being edited. Sounds like the timeline for 2018 will be: 1. Mid-April: DaP26 goes on sale. 2. End of May: Anthem of the Sun preorder. 3. June: Box announcement for a Fall Release. I think this for several reasons. First, we had two small boxes last year, so it’s more like ly to be a year end release, in order to space out the sets. Second, it’s probably going to be a larger than usual set. They’ve gone small for the last 3 sets, and these are usually announced earlier in the year. We’re due for a large box. The 30 Trips, Spring 90, and Europe 72 sets have all been Fall Releases with Summer announcements. 4. July: DaP 27 announced
user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

From purchase acknowledgement 1 $115.92 (Pre-order - released on: 1/26/2018) (Pre-order - releases on: 4/27/2018) (Pre-order - releases on: 7/27/2018) (Pre-order - releases on: 10/26/2018)
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

MARIJUANA and CHRISTIANShttp://www.aggressivechristianity.net/articles/maryjane.htm Cure or Curse? THROUGH THE INNOCENTLY APPEARING GUISE OF THE "NATURAL HERBAL HIGH" CALLED MARIJUANA, SATAN HAS FOUND AN OPEN DOORWAY FOR INVASION INTO THE MINDS OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE. MANY A DECEIVED CHRISTIAN HAS LOST THEIR SALVATION IN CHRIST THROUGH THIS DECEPTIVE DEVICE OF THE ONE WHOSE PURPOSE IS TO KILL, STEAL, AND DESTROY. THE DECEPTIVE REASONING THAT SATAN USES IS THIS: "GOD MADE PLANTS FOR THE BENEFIT OF MAN, MARIJUANA IS A PLANT, THEREFORE GOD MADE IT FOR THE BENEFIT OF MAN. IT OPENS UP A PERSON'S MIND SO THAT THEY CAN FLOW IN THE SPIRIT." THE TRUTH IS THAT THE SPIRIT WHICH THIS PLANT OPENS ONE UP TO IS THE SPIRIT OF THE DEVIL. THIS "INNOCENT NATURAL HIGH" IS REALLY JUST THE BAIT THAT THE DEVIL USES TO CAPTIVATE THE SOUL (MIND, WILL AND EMOTIONS). THE DEVIL IS THE MASTER OF DECEPTION!!! READ SOME CASE HISTORIES OF THOSE IN MENTAL WARDS, MOST OF THEM STARTED OUT SO "INNOCENTLY" ON MARIJUANA. MARIJUANA HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE A DRUG THAT RENDERS IT'S USERS PSYCHOLOGICALLY DEPENDENT TO A SEVERE DEGREE. MANY M.J. USERS BECOME TRAPPED IN A DEAD END LIFESTYLE OF POVERTY, DEPENDENCE AND PARANOIA. OF WHOSE SPIRIT ARE THESE FRUITS?? DID YOU KNOW THAT THE DEVIL USES NO NEW THING TO BEGUILE PEOPLE? SORCERERS, SATANISTS, AND WITCHES HAVE KNOWN FOR CENTURIES THAT MARIJUANA IS A MEANS OF OPENING UP TO THE SPIRIT WORLD OF SATAN AND HIS DEMON FORCES. CHRISTIANS DON'T NEED THE DEVIL'S TOOLS! WHO CONTROLS YOU? The thief (Satan) cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I (Jesus) am come that they may have life and that they might have it more abundantly." John 10:10 THE DEVIL WILL USE ANYTHING OR ANYONE TO ACCOMPLISH HIS PURPOSES. HIS NUMBER ONE TARGET IS CHRISTIANS!! IF HE CAN USE MARIJUANA TO CON THEM INTO BEING WEAK AND INEFFECTUAL, HE WILL. WHEN WE COME TO JESUS CHRIST, HE FORGIVES US FOR OUR SINS AND PUTS HIS LIFE INSIDE OF OUR HEARTS. THEN WE CAN WALK IN NEWNESS OF LIFE. WE DO NOT NEED THE CRUTCHES OF THE FORMER LIFESTYLE LIKE MARIJUANA. THE CHRISTIAN WHO TRIES TO WITNESS FOR CHRIST WHILE HIGH ON MARIJUANA IS REALLY NOT A WITNESS FOR CHRIST AT ALL. THE ONLY WITNESS THAT SUCH A ONE GIVES IS THAT SATAN STILL HAS AUTHORITY IN HIS LIFE. DEAR CHRISTIAN, YOU DO NOT NEED MARIJUANA (OR ANY OTHER DRUG, INCLUDING ALCOHOL), FOR THROUGH JESUS CHRIST YOU CAN HAVE LIFE AND HAVE IT MORE ABUNDANTLY. YOU MUST LEARN TO NO LONGER LOOK TO THE RUDIMENTS OF THE WORLD, SUCH AS MARIJUANA, FOR HELP. YOU MUST LEARN TO LOOK TO GOD! YOU MUST LEARN TO KNOW HIM, FOR HE IS ALL YOU WILL EVER NEED. LOVE JESUS, WALK IN HIS HOLY SPIRIT, AND DON'T LET SATAN CONNIVE YOU INTO FOLLOWING ANOTHER SPIRIT -THE SPIRIT OF ANTI-CHRIST. "But I fear, lest by any means as the serpent beguiled eve through his subtlety, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit (demons) which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him." 2 Cor. 11:3-4 THE WITCHCRAFT - DRUG CONNECTION! Let's not lose sight of the fact that all drugs are more correctly identified by their proper name of pharmaceuticals, which in the Bible is always translated as witchcraft or sorcery. Yet many people mistakenly believe that using drugs to gain access to spiritual forces is a modern fad and that the Bible is silent in this regard. This is simply not true. As a matter of fact, mind altering drugs have been employed by the devil and his agents since the earliest times to achieve his ends and are specifically condemned in both the Old and New Testaments. Of course a distinction must be made between drugs that have a proven medical value and are used accordingly and those drugs that are misused and abused by people seeking to escape reality. It is this latter category that definately relates to witchcraft and sorcery and ultimately ends in the total demonic enslavement of the user. It has been shown in other research works that the Greek words pharmakeia, pharmakeus and pharmakos, which are translated witchcraft, sorceries and sorcerers in the New Testament are connected with the use of mind altering drugs. The three words are derived from the Greek word pharmakon, which means drugs or magic potions. In the Greek version of the Old Testament the words pharmakeia, pharmakeuo, pharmekon, and pharmekos are used twenty two times to translate several different Hebrew words. The Hebrew words in question are kashaph, lehatim and chartummim. All three words are connected with sorcery, witchcraft and enchantments. It is obvious that the Greek word pharmakon has to do with drugs; a more relevant and contemporary application could hardly be found. The denunciations against sorcery contained in Revelation 9:21; 18:23; 21:8 ; and 22:15 apply to those who use drugs to bring on trances during which they claim to have supernatural knowledge or power. (from Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary) (Copyright (C) 1986, Thomas Nelson Publishers) SORCERY A. Nouns. 1. pharmakia (or-- eia) ^5331^ (Eng., "pharmacy," etc.) primarily signified "the use of medicine, drugs, spells"; then, "poisoning"; then, "sorcery,"
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

i would expound, but why bother. it is possible to follow with humility the path of a certain divine offspring, while still enjoying the plants of creation. i done now.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I guess I am a Witch.. or wait, a Warlock. Yes.. has a nice ring to it.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

for something completely different
user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Good morning rockers, rollers, and assorted bipeds!!!!! Yes, I know, I'm on sabbatical, but I couldn't resist............. For those of you who wish to take a trip through the monolith, consider this offer: To commemorate acid month, celebrating the 47th anniversary of that fine and crazy time, for the entire month I will send anybody who asks nicely, copies of any & all of my April 1971 holdings. Here’s the catch---just checking to see who reads the entire post or not----you must send your request on the anniversary date of the show you’d like to get. Simple, oh so simple…………………. It was an amazing month. Starting with the way oversold Manhattan Center shows, where the Dead blew off any signs of rust, through the pinball-like bouncing through Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, New York, New England, and North Carolina, culminating in the sublime final Fillmore East shows. This was lean, bare bones, hard rocking Dead, a period which faded rapidly after Pigpen became ill, a time when the Dead made high art out of a “low” musical form……………….. So feel free to check out what all the fuss is about!! You know where to find me.............. Disclaimer: this is NOT an April Fool’s joke or prank………………..lol…………..snicker snicker…………. So lets’ roll out the rock, crank it up, play it loud and proud!!! Just keepin’ it real, Doc P.S. Taste of coming attractions: https://archive.org/details/gd71-04-22.sbd.clugston.2176.sbeok.shnf Short and sweet, rockin’, touch of humor (“Don’t turn Garcia up, he sings horrible……..”)……….
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Personally I hope they stick with a couple of smaller boxes per year rather than one huge box. More manageable on the pocketbook and more variety. I imagine that they will want to spread the newly returned Betty Boards around, especially the popular favorites. I could see some people here though who would be willing to spent any amount, like for an 80 show Betty board box. Other than the documentary, they haven't released a video since 8/27/72 Sunshine Daydream, and that was 5 years ago now. Overdue for a CD/DVD set release of some type.
user picture

Member for

8 years

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....does Hot Fuzz count? 'Cause that's pretty classic.
user picture

Member for

12 years 3 months

as in Sebastion Bach?The 6th Cello Suite? Prelude? and the 2nd Cello Suite Prelude? WRS prelude? '73? Whether I am onto anything or not Thanks for the Bach!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

The complete recordings. Wake of the Flood, Laughing Water, 49.
user picture

Member for

12 years 3 months

We have been calling this one for a second now. VERY stoked.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe published Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship in 1796. Per Wikipedia: 'The eponymous hero undergoes a journey of self-realization. The story centers upon Wilhelm's attempt to escape what he views as the empty life of a bourgeois businessman. After a failed romance with the theater, Wilhelm commits himself to the mysterious Tower Society.' You heard right, Tower Society. I-Ching hexagram 6: Conflict hexagram 2: Receptive/Yield Conflict > Receptive/Yield, sounds like Box of Rain. Franklin's.. Box of Rain... ..Combined with The Other One for the previous hint (Pepto-Bismol, nausea, " I came across an empty space, it trembled and exploded") 3/28/88 Hampton, VA or 6/25/88 Hebron, OH Q.E.D.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

I didn't read the whole thing, but that is very disturbing... To think that when I retire, and return to the kind bud, that I will be inadvertently doing the devil's work, is very disconcerting. But in the interim, I am getting drunk on wine every night and am still in Jesus' good graces, which is an immense comfort to me, so thank you for that! Happy Easter, brother!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Heartfelt accolades on your mentioning of Danny Gatton here, one of the most underrated, overlooked guitarists of our times... PM me if you want a copy of The Birchmere, Alexandria VA, 6/10/88, sitting in my collection. Damn! Never seen Danny Gatton mentioned on these here pages before, good on you ;)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

I-Ching now? I am with you brother! Let me throw me coins, and I'll see what changes I'm going through...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

My brother from another mother...miss you, man. That's the way it's been in town, Ever since they tore the jukebox down Two bit piece don't buy no more Not so much as it done before I say row Jimmy row, gonna get there I don't know Seems a common way to go, get out and row, row, row, row, row
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....any card. My card for today is Vegas 5.29.92. Sounds even better than I "remember" it. Healy on top of his game....the only thing hotter than the weather was the band. Thank God....
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Dead of the Day: April 2, 1973http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/04-02-1973 Boston Garden Boston, Massachusetts When you get up around three dozens songs in a show and the Dead are this on, you cannot pass it up. The recording – and perhaps the sound at the show – starts off with some difficulties, as you can barely hear Bobby during Promised Land. But from then on out, the sound is immaculate, and the band keeps firing. Things turn up a notch with the Box of Rain. Then, a song later, the Dead deliver one of the best China> Riders; neither tune – like most of the rest of the show – is stretched out all that far, but the whole suite is exquisite. On China Cat, Jerry’s guitar is piercingly beautiful, creating tremendously powerful moments of emotion and pure joy. The playing carries over and transforms perfectly in the Rider, striking a deep vein of Dead hope, strength, and passion. Unfortunately, Donna’s vocals in You Ain’t Woman Enough are a bit painful; it was still fairly early in her tenure with the band, and she was working without being able to hear herself in the mix. The band does not skip a beat, however, and closes out the set with a phenomenal Playin’. The second half has much of the same splendor as the earlier set, at least until the band rolls out Here Come Sunshine, which vaults them to a different level altogether. They roll through that tune, building intensity in the shared vocals of each chorus while Phil and the drummers driving everyone on. The song devolves into a crazy, spacey jam that eventually morphs into a perfectly rendered Me and Bobby McGee. After a half second of hesitation, the boys launch into the prelude to Weather Report Suite, only to think better of it and smoothly transition into an epic Eyes> China Doll that does not look back. This night’s show was the Dead’s first trip to the legendary Boston Garden. They would end up playing twenty-four shows at the venue over the years. However, the band already had a six-show run scheduled for September 1995 at the time of Garcia’s death. There was a ten-year period through the eighties where the Dead did not play the venue, reportedly because the Garden’s manager caught them grilling lobsters on a fire escape before the show. After he tossed all their lobsters in the trash, the boys vowed never to return. But somehow they made their way back in 1991 for a lengthy six-show stop. At this 1973 show, the floor must have been open for general admission. After the Row Jimmy, in an attempt to get people to move back from the stage, Bobby gets on the mike and, in his deadpan style, tells everyone that they “just let loose a bushel of spiders, big fat tarantulas” up front.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

First of a three niter at the Centrum. https://archive.org/details/gd1987-04-02.140289.sbd.miller.flac2496 Don't tell me this town ain't got no heart... Set 2 was great. Shakedown was best I saw live. Grateful Dead Download Series Volume 9 - 4/2 Set 1 Iko Iko, Little Red Rooster, Dire Wolf, It's All Over Now, We Can Run, Brown Eyed Women, Queen Jane Approximately, Tennessee Jed, The Music Never Stopped Set 2 Shakedown Street, Women Are Smarter-> Foolish Heart, Drums-> Jam-> The Wheel-> Dear Mr. Fantasy-> Hey Jude Reprise-> Around & Around, Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad-> Turn On Your Love Light, E: It's All Over Now Baby Blue The Omni, Atlanta, GA, April 2, 1990(Spring 90 Box)
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

Dave's 23 for the pick today. Love this show- one of my favorite from the series. Bring on the '73 Box, Dave and Co. No pepto needed. And tonight- Let's Go Nova!!! Bring it home! Hope everyone had a great Easter. Stay Grateful
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Since I am computer "illiterate" how does one go about posting a photo on this site? Thanks for your help. Mr. Pete----------------> aging hippie
user picture

Member for

8 years

... Europe 72 individual performances are all sold out...it took a long time but it worked magic. ;)
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Deadegad.. there is no announcement yet.. just rhetoric and hype with a Bolo clue or two sprinkled on top. I will say.. a Summer '73 makes perfect sense. They have the newly returned Betty Boards, many are purported to be from 1973. They likely was some sort of settlement/finders fee/consulting fee, etc., which means somebody had to drop some coin and will be looking for a return sometime this century and most importantly.. many of these fabled shows, especially from the summer simply do not fit on three discs which means they fall outside the current Dave's Picks model. Vegas odds favor Summer 1973 The Complete Recordings box set. Then there are the subtle, easy to grasp Bolo hints. :D ...so the drum roll continues. Mr. Pete, I have only figured out how to post pictures if they exist as images on the net somewhere. My trick only works if there is an https:// address associated with the image. I am self taught though, shirdeep seems to be step above my paygrade in regards to this.. If they can be found on the web, I bet I can help you get them to appear here, just send me a PM. To all that PM'd me, I am in the process of making good on 6/28. Happy Monday folks and a belated happy Easter if that's your thing. ..and a belated welcome back Dantian.. hope you survived a cold March and that all is well in the NE.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

BUT, your wrong it's DP#27 that is from 1973....the BOX SET will be every 1977 show that has not been released, which totals about 7-8- so it should be a nice lil' package : ) NAUSEATING!!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Pepto-up, my friend. Regarding the Summer of 73, none have been released.. so I don't see release fatigue as being a factor. Many here would consider this Christmas in July... (Christmas Eve In July).
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

Thanks due to a very, very long weekend of work, the April fools thing slid right past me. That False Summer 73 would really have helped me cope with seeing all that snow falling this morning here in the northwest Bronx (near Gaelic Park where the GD played some shows 71/72). Along with my dreamed-for September 1979 MSG NYC min-inbox another 73 would be nice. I, likewise, dream of The Radio City 1980 tapes being rediscovered, pieced together, and seeing a complete box release. Happy Monday Friends!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Sorry about the long weekend.. None of this was meant as an April Fools spoof.. it all resulting from frustration that there was no announcement mixed with speculation of what the box might be.. Someone guessed it would not be a small box for a host of reasons and Summer '73 seemed to just fill the negative space. Hope all is well and you have a chance to rest up and regroup.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I'll raise my hand as author of "it's gotta be Summer '73" for the as-yet non-existent 2018 box announcement. As JimInMD stated, here's the logic: - Anthem reissue with '68 show negates a box of '68 (as does the rarity of '68 tapes in vault - DaP 26 is four discs of 1971, so '71 is an unlikely focus - the last two year's boxes and several DaPs have come from '77 and '78 and a change is probable - Summer '73 is the single longest period, like May to November, with no official releases And the final, admittedly idiosyncratic (okay, crass) reasoning is that I caught a lot of shows that summer and I'm ready for a Summer '73 box. Infallible logic! But with DaP 26 nearly upon us and an Anthem announcement floating around, I'm tempted to speculate that any box announcement may be delayed til June or later. (Trying the old, reverse logic trick to get an announcement this week...) In short, complete, total speculation from start to finish. And, why not? After all, the idea of a Summer '73 box seems to have caught the collective imagination. I'm thinking that it wouldn't be a "Complete Summer '73" because the GD didn't play a ton of shows that summer and Dave might want to hold back a few things. Three consecutive shows would work and not bust the bank. BUT, if we're talking Complete Summer, that's (12) shows: 6-9-73, 6-10-73, RFK (could be left out, as they're pre-Solstice) 6-22-73, PNE 6-24-73, Portland 6-26-73, Seattle 6-29, 6-30, 7-1-73, LA 7-27, 7-28-73, Watkins Glen 7-31, 8-1-73, Jersey City Say half squeeze onto (3) discs and half require (4) discs, that's freakin' (42) discs. With a price tag of $400-$500. What's the over/under on such a monster? Or take out (2) RFK shows, that's "only" (37) discs. Killing all this speculation, of course, is Bolo's clue/non-clue about grease, which would imply a box with our man Pigpen at the helm. Where does speculation lead if that's the case? A box of '69? That wouldn't necessarily jibe with returned tapes that range 1971 to 1980. So, we're back where we started after this marathon of speculation. We got nothing!
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I linked an aggressive christianity post for an April Fools/Easter spoof and it appears Jim was the only one who got the Warlocks connection.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

It may have been a spoof, but it was nice to know where we are all headed.
product sku