• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

THAT version of The Roses Are Free is the shit. I also hear a "Emotional Rescue" tease in there
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

A Capitol Theater 1970 release would be a capital box to have.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

April 5, 1971http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/04-05-1971 Manhattan Center New York, New York An absolutely drop-dead awesome show that would have been our Dead of the Day had the 1969 show not somehow been a notch better.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Dead of the Day: April 5, 1969http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/04-05-1969 Avalon Ballroom San Francisco, California The show starts of with a perfectly rendered Dupree’s, evoking all the common-place romance and deep Americana pathos of the tune. The Dead then transition into a Mountains of the Moon – with Jerry on acoustic – that rolls right into a tremendous Dark Star. With Jerry now on electric, the band blows it out, exploring distinct galaxies as they go. Next, a China> Doin’ That Rag brings such a sweet combination: the psychedelic splendor of China Cat mixing – like with the later and far more common Rider – with the Dead’s reformulation of quintessential American music and folklore in the Rag. The boys then switch gears into a fabulous Other One suite, with an incredibly diverse, searching, and gushing Other One at its heart. The second Cryptical segues into a wondrous Eleven that spins completely out of control in all the best ways. A sharp transition delivers the band at an elemental, bluesy It’s a Sin, displaying the diversity and depth of the band. Finally, gathering themselves again, the band heads off into the swampy, bluesy jamming and eventual celebratory muck of an Alligator> Drums> Feedback. All told, it is as psychedelic as the band ever gets and amongst the top tier of that monumental, second-to-none Dead year of 1969. We can all appreciate telling an uninitiated friend about the Dead, but a commentator on Archive who was at the show experienced it at another level. He had met his fiance in the Air Force in Turkey in 1967. Shortly after, he returned stateside, experienced the Dead live, and told his future wife about how awesome the experience was for the next two years until she finally got out of the service. This was the show where she "finally had a chance to live it." He goes on to explain that It was an Avalon without the Family Dog, but the vibes were still powerful. The audience was loaded in a lot of ways. Kesey was there, the Angels were out in force, and there were fire eaters sitting on the floor. The Dead were even better than this recording. It was the last time I saw them at the Avalon, and I'll never forget it. They came close to levitating the whole block. They might just end up levitating you too as you listen to this.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Today we head down to Brendan Byrne for the first of a two nights.Out of Space Terrapin Station-> The Other One-> Stella Blue-> Sugar Magnolia. https://archive.org/details/gd1987-04-06.140339.sbd.miller.flac2496 Playin', playin' in the band. Daybreak, daybreak on the land. https://archive.org/details/gd1982-04-05.nak700.wagner.miller.90496.sbe… I sailed the ship all alone. I never think I'll make it home. You gotta love when they play a song with your name. Last Louie Louie 5-18-67 https://archive.org/details/gd1988-04-05.140331.UltraMatrix.sbd.cm.mill… When Quinn the Eskimo gets here, everybody's gonna wanna doze. Don't pass this one up great show! https://archive.org/details/gd1989-04-05.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.8350… p.s. I did buy a RFK '89 box. Edit: Rushing I'm a day ahead on the 87 tour.
user picture

Member for

8 years

...I understand now. Yes, images seen on a computer screen or photos can be deceiving. All depends on what medium a user has., either way , I agree with you. I love the artist this year. I have one piece of art on my wall non Grateful Dead :) just an amazing artist. :)
user picture

Member for

8 years

... ha ha , you made me smile smile smile, as always. Great post! :)
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Both May '89 Frost shows have just been upgraded.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

F%CKING ROCKS !!!!! RHINO 7.13.84 ~ Greek Theatre Scarlet Begonias -> Touch of Grey -> Fire on the Mountain -> Man Smart, Woman Smarter -> Drums -> Space -> The Wheel -> I Need A Miracle -> Stella Blue -> Sugar Magnolia ~ Dark Star ~
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

https://archive.org/details/gd95-04-05.sbd.18097.sbeok.shnf/gd1995-04-0… pretty snappy for '95 Touch Of Gray, Wang Dang Doodle, Stagger Lee, Me & My Uncle*-> Maggie's Farm*, Row Jimmy, The Music Never Stopped. Here Comes Sunshine, Way To Go Home, Truckin'-> That Would Be Something-> Uncle John's Band-> Mathilda**-> Drums**-> Space-> I Need A Miracle-> Morning Dew, E: Johnny B. Goode
user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Shouldn't that be out soon... Thought I saw the release was April 27th.
user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

Do we know what #26 is going to be yet?
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Count me as another who loves it. Awesome couple of shows from one of the Dead's best tours in one of the best years. Eagerly and patiently awaiting an Alpine '89 box. Would also love to see the following from '89 released...Greensboro, Ann Arbor, Rosemont, Milwaukee, Irvine, the Frost, Shoreline (both runs), Giants Stadium, Deer Creek, Cal Expo, Greek, Spectrum, Charlotte, Kaiser, Forum (both runs), and Oakland.
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

Civic Auditorium Albuquerque, NM Nov 17, 1971 Set I Truckin' Sugaree Beat It On Down the Line Tennessee Jed El Paso Big Railroad Blues Jack Straw Deal Playing in the Band Cumberland Blues Me and Bobby McGee You Win Again Mexicali Blues Casey Jones One More Saturday Night Set II Cryptical Envelopment Drums The Other One Uncle John's Band Me and My Uncle The Other One Wharf Rat Not Fade Away Going Down the Road Feelin' Bad Not Fade Away Encore Ramble On Rose Hill Auditorium, University of Michigan Ann Arbor, MI Dec 14, 1971 Set I Truckin' Sugaree Mr. Charlie Beat It On Down the Line Loser Jack Straw Next Time You See Me Tennessee Jed El Paso Big Railroad Blues Me and My Uncle Run Rudolph Run Black Peter Playing in the Band Casey Jones bonus disc Set II Ramble On Rose Mexicali Blues Big Boss Man Cryptical Envelopment Drums The Other One Wharf Rat Sugar Magnolia You Win Again Not Fade Away Going Down the Road Feelin' Bad Not Fade Away
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

the only thing I can remember about summer '89 was we had a really bad drought. our yard grass had brown patches and the ground was all cracked lol it looked like shit.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Fourwinds - Thank you for posting that '87 show. Listened to a lot of it and was blown away by the quality. There is a wealth of Hi-Q matrix recordings, and they seem to come out constantly. Its so great being able to mix the sbd and audience together to get the best of both worlds and it seems they're getting better at it. I wonder if they considered doing a matrix on the RFK box..., or the Spring '90 boxes. I know they used a multitrack so the mix is "perfect"... but you get a different "feel"- some warmth from the audience, and of course a little audience noise (especially at the beginning and end of each song) gives you a little "real feel". Does anybody know if any of the '89-90's recordings that have been released as a matrix, even if just in minor ways. I'm not very "up" on this topic so any insights would be appreciated.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

We gotta be getting some news soon, no? Seems like a drought. I'm actually starting to listen to other bands to fill the gap! I'm also looking forward to The Who's Live at the Fillmore East '68 being released later this month. Jerry dug The Who and so do I. If I could go back to see one band in their prime, I'd be loyal and see the Dead circa 72-74 I reckon; but part of me would be torn to see The Who Live at Leeds or somewhere like that in their live prime, circa 70-71.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I am starting to think that the date of Daves Picks 26 was announced way too early, especially as it has been followed by a complete lack of communication concerning new releases all year. And looking at the set list, it would be alright with me if Dave changed the date from this November one to 15th December 1971 instead. It looks a more interesting show, and would couple up nicely with the night before included on the 3rd and bonus discs. The band I am listening to most at the moment, apart from The Dead is the mighty King Crimson. Some very imposing looking box sets have been issued of their studio and live recordings over the last few years. I haven't bought one yet-but I'm bidding.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Lossless Bootleg Bonanza: Grateful Dead – San Francisco, CA (04/04/69)gd69-04-04-Avalon-Ball Grateful Dead April 4, 1969 Avalon Ballroom San Francisco, CA Download FLAC: Mediafire Download MP3@320: Mediafire https://themidnightcafe.org/2014/10/20/lossless-bootleg-bonanza-gratefu… MSR>C>DATs>CDRs>EAC>SHN Thanks to Rango for the source cdrs, eac/shn by dnsacks@usa.net 8/17/00 –Set 1– 101-d1t01 – Good Morning Little School Girl 102-d1t02 – Doin’ That Rag 103-d1t03 – Cryptical Envelopement -> 104-d1t04 – Drums -> 105-d1t05 – The Other One -> 106-d1t06 – Cryptical Envelopement -> 107-d1t07 – Death Don’t Have No Mercy –Set 2– 201-d2t01 – Turn on Your Lovelight * 202-d2t02 – Dark Star-> 203-d2t03 – Saint Stephen-> 204-d2t04 – The Eleven-> 205-d2t05 – Feedback * Deadbase lists Lovelight as ending the second set. However, http://www.deadlists.com does not show Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, Doin’ That Rag or Lovelight as circulating (they are now :-)). To me, the announcer’s comments before lovelight sound like pre-second set introductions, rather than “bring ’em back” pre-encore talk. Regardless, Lovelight started the second disk on the copy I received and I’ve chosen to preserve this placement. Lossless Bootleg Bonanza: Grateful Dead – San Francisco, CA (04/05/69) gd69-04-05-Avalon-Ball Grateful Dead 4/5/69 Avalon Ballroom San Francisco, CA Download FLAC: Mediafire Download MP3@320: Mediafire https://themidnightcafe.org/2014/10/20/lossless-bootleg-bonanza-gratefu… Recording Info: SBD -> Rm (7 inch Master Reels @ 7.5ips 1/2trk) -> Dat Transfer Info: Dat -> Sonic Solutions -> CD -> EAC -> Samplitude -> SHN (2 Discs Audio / 1 Disc SHN) Conversion By Charlie Miller charliemiler87@earthlink.net 7/29/03 Notes: Samplitude v6.0 was used to re-track the complete show. –Set 1– 101-d1t01 – Dupree’s Diamond Blues -> 102-d1t02 – Mountains of the Moon -> 103-d1t03 – Dark Star -> 104-d1t04 – St. Stephen -> 105-d1t05 – William Tell bridge -> 106-d1t06 – Turn on Your Lovelight –Set 2– 201-d2t01 – Hard To Handle -> 202-d2t02 – Cosmic Charlie 203-d2t03 – China Cat Sunflower -> 204-d2t04 – Doin’ That Rag 205-d2t05 – Cryptical Envelopment -> 206-d2t06 – Drums -> 207-d2t07 – The Other One -> 208-d2t08 – Cryptical Envelopment -> 209-d2t09 – The Eleven -> 210-d2t10 – It’s a Sin 211-d2t11 – Alligator -> 212-d2t12 – Drums -> 213-d2t13 – Feedback -> 214-d2t14 – And We Bid You Good Night Comments: Just before Cryptical Envelopment and again before Alligator Bobby noodles the opening chords of Weather Report Prelude.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Hey Thin you have a PM. We haven't even had a MUATM announcement.
user picture

Member for

15 years

It is April 5 and no releases have been mentioned. I have plenty to listen to, and there is always the internet archives. It may be on the April Dead newsletter. They are going to be making more copys this year, so maybe we will have more than 4 hours to get a copy. Best, Jim
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Generally the 2nd DaP of the year is announced right before income tax day. Record Store Day with 2/27/69 vinyl is soon after on April 21st. The Anthem 50th should be announced by May and the 2018 box set is near release. MUATM usually is in the beginning of August. DaP27 arrives August 1st. Time to cut back on non-necessities like food, rent or mortgage, kids' education, etc. Save your pennies.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....that's how much I have socked away for the deluge.
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

The Spectrum4-6-85 :o)
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Dead of the Day: April 6, 1971http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/04-06-1971 Manhattan Center New York, New York For our Dead of the Day, we return to the Hammerstein Ballroom for the last night of the 1971 run. The show gets off to another rocking start with a Bertha opener. The first set continues with some great tunes, including a first-ever Oh Boy and a five-year breakout of Hog for You Baby. The real magic, though, is in the second set, which jumps out of the gate with a Greatest Story > Johnny B. Goode that is pure shake your bones rock and roll. After a solid Loser, the band goes into an immense, bluesy, and totally impressive Good Lovin’. Pig is all over the tune, going crazy and telling people to take their clothes off as only Pig can. Bill the drummer also delivers, providing a rolling beat and a lively, intense Drums segment in the middle of the Good Lovin’. Coming out of the Drums segment, the band fires off an electric jam that is mesmerizing, leading right back to Pig. After Good Lovin’ winds through its 24 minutes our so, a smoking Sugar Mags > GDTRFB > NFA > Truckin’ ends the night. That four song closer is blow-your-mind tasty, fervent, and oh so pungent. Like the other shows of this run, there is not immense, spacey jams, but the Dead deliver a supreme, powerful performance all the same. The last three songs on the recording here are filler from some other night. These three nights at the Manhattan Center were incredibly crowded; on this night there might have been 10,000 people in a hall with a 2500-person capacity. Some people who were there talk about having to move away towards the back just so they could breathe. Others make no mention of the crowds and just talk about the bliss of being in the presence of the Grateful Dead and so many of their fans. For instance, one commentator on Archive explained that he “attended this show with my sister – my first Dead show and my first rock concert. I stood up front about 15 feet from Phil Lesh and had my little 16 year old mind thoroughly blown.” He went on to say that Pigpen played his “Hammond organ with a bottle of Cutty Sark on top” and that “hundreds of longhairs on acid were dancing and grooving,” making for “one of the peak experiences of my adolescence.” That sounds about right. Long live the Grateful Dead!
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

April 6, 1969http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/04-06-1969 Avalon Ballroom San Francisco, California Lossless Bootleg Bonanza: Grateful Dead – San Francisco, CA (04/06/69) gd69-04-06-Avalon-Ball Grateful Dead 4-6-69 Avalon Ballroom, San Francisco Download FLAC/MP3 https://themidnightcafe.org/2014/10/28/lossless-bootleg-bonanza-gratefu… SBD>FM>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN Part of The Music Never Stopped Project 2002 shn em up initiative Thanks to Joe Jupille edits/encoding by J. Cotsman –Set 1– 101-d1t01 – //Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl% 102-d1t02 – Tuning 103-d1t03 – Beat It On Down The Line 104-d1t04 – It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue 105-d1t05 – King Bee –Set 2– 201-d1t06 – //Cryptical Envelopment–> 202-d1t07 – Drums–> 203-d1t08 – The Other One–> 204-d1t09 – Cryptical Envelopment–> 205-d1t10 – Death Don’t Have No Mercy 206-d2t01 – Turn on Your Lovelight 207-d2t02 – Tuning 208-d2t03 – Viola Lee Blues –disc 1 total time–61:55– –disc 2 total time–38:31– Notes: –this is from a reel recorded in ’69. There are a few minor discontinuities/blemishes in the recording –there may be missing songs before Schoolgirl –several minutes are probably missing from the beginning of Schoolgirl. –there is a splice in Schoolgirl @ 1:26 –the first couple notes of Cryptical(1) are clipped –the band is forced to finish Viola Lee acapella after the plug is pulled on their instruments, presumably, for playing past Avalon curfew –Sound Forge was used for a slight pitch correction and a few minor edits
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Today we head down to Brendan Byrne for the first of a two nights.Out of Space Terrapin Station-> The Other One-> Stella Blue-> Sugar Magnolia. https://archive.org/details/gd1987-04-06.140339.sbd.miller.flac2496 Set 2 https://archive.org/details/gd1978-04-06.140694.sbd.pcm.miller.sirmick… Road Trips: Vol 4, Number 4: Spectrum 4.6.82
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

I am hopeful! Currently listening to the anniversary of 04/06/71. DaP 26 c'mon or box set announcement. A Pig era box would be out of sight ('68 or summer or fall 70 would be particularly unbelievable - '71 would be fine as well). A Bettyboard '76 box would also be out of sight. If nothing is announced soon enough, then, heh, a '95 box would......well....maybe a '91 box would be out of sight.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....any releases being announced on a Friday. Hopefully i'm wrong this week.
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I don't think anythings been announced on Friday. If there is a glitch in the announcement, the Rhino folks would have to worry all weekend about it and then come in Monday morn to clean up the mess. And the customers fume all weekend. Monday is unlikely for an announcement too. Too many people at Rhino with Monday blahs, hangovers, or just taking 3 day weekends. Tues-Thurs are the most likely for announcements. I think most have come on Wednesday. But, yeah, hope I'm wrong.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

MAYBE there won't be an announcement, it could be that the best of GD live IS THE BOX SET....wouldn't surprise me- its been on the front page of deadnet for 3 months, and no real announcement on DP#26 - that 1971 show was announced in January.....May the Force be with You (oh, and btw Luke dies in the last Star Wars movie- that seemed to be a big kept secret for some ; )
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I was totally wrong, no announcement yesterday, so won't be until after RSD probably now, I'm gonna say that and maybe I'm totally wrong again. That 69 Filmore show that's going to be released on record store day looks awesome, pricey tho. Do you guys got walls and shelves and Dead stuff all over the place like I do? Everywhere I look, there's some reference to the Dead, am I weird? Is it a sickness? It must be cause I've seen people catch the sickness, that's really fun when you actually get to witness a deadhead being born, they get it now. Lots of great recommendations from David, April was a fine month for the boys. Tomorrow is an anniversary of the last show with Jerry I saw, at Tampa stadium in 95, last show of spring tour and only stadium show, the lot was intense, so many people and so much vending, the guys parked next to us had hash and geltabs, it was a good night, got a lot of Jerry tunes, a great unbroken chain...the drums>space was a bit disjointed, but still a fine nite. April in Florida is mighty fine weather wise.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Unkle Sam, fear not; for you are sincerely not alone in your sickness. It Permeates. I have a similar existence; I look around my home and there are reminders and references on my walls, on tables, on my bar, in the air, and through words spoken off tongues... Its an entirely normal affair. :D As for April weather; I'm jealous 'cause it's snowing heavily on my lawn as I type. Why do I live in New England again? Sixtus
user picture

Member for

8 years

If people cant tell I love the dead from all the shirts I wear, they can certainly tell when they walk into my apartment... Dead everywhere. Love it! Cds, box sets, vinyl always at arms reach...Posters, magnets, stickers. An ash tray. Catch that sickness
user picture

Member for

8 years

...a lot of stufff is going to be headed our way folks! Soon very very soon!!! ;) Ps. I know I stated every fan will be happy, and if I think about it ,it sounds crazy but I’m going to stand firm on this statement. The only fan who won’t be happy is the fan who believes in limiting there sound experiences....
user picture

Member for

11 years

Yahoo for that 68 Who Live at Fillmore East release... For those who love them, do not miss Live at Hull, believe it was the night following Leeds show. Keith Moon outdoes himself, he is on fire... much like we love to hear adjacent dead shows... and to take it back to late 60s SF, Blue Cheer did a heckova version of Summertime Blues. Which is appropriate. Yep, snowing here in Vermont, WTF but thats what comes with this territory, in a couple few weeks it will be glorious for at least six months. My thanks to all of you for providing such great music directions and conversation... and indeed if we keep talking about other music, DL will surely wake from his slumber and venture out on the rocks.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Massive coincidence-I ordered this earlier today off Amazon. I hadn't planned on doing so, I just saw it for sale at a vastly reduced price and clicked the button. Should be here tomorrow.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

There is only way to make every Grateful Dead fan happy...(if that is even possible)...that is to open up the vault and provide access to all...
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

yummy
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

00:01:23 "Heaven and Hell" (John Entwistle) 00:05:23 "I Can't Explain" 00:08:16 "Fortune Teller" (Allen Toussaint) 00:10:52 "Tattoo" 00:15:18 "Young Man Blues" (Most Allison) 00:21:08 "A Quick One, While He's Away" Intro 00:23:49 "A Quick One, While He's Away" 00:34:33 "Substitute" 00:36:44 "Happy Jack" 00:39:06 "I'm a Boy" 00:41:48 Tommy introduction 00:43:09 "Overture" 00:47:32 "It's a Boy" 00:48:27 "1921" 00:50:57 "Amazing Journey" 00:54:19 "Sparks" 00:58:49 "Eyesight to the Blind" (Sonny Boy Williamson II) 01:00:48 "Christmas" 01:04:11 "The Acid Queen" 01:07:48 "Pinball Wizard" 01:10:40 "Do You Think It's Alright?" 01:11:03 "Fiddle About" (Entwistle) 01:12:22 "Tommy Can You Hear Me?" 01:13:34 "There's a Doctor" 01:13:58 "Go to the Mirror!" 01:17:24 "Smash the Mirror" 01:18:46 "Miracle Cure" 01:18:58 "Sally Simpson" 01:23:17 "I'm Free" 01:25:47 "Tommy's Holiday Camp" (Keith Moon) 01:26:47 "We're Not Gonna Take It" 01:35:22 "Summertime Blues" (Eddie Cochran, Jerry Capehart) 01:39:36 "Shakin' All Over" (Johnny Kidd) 01:49:34 "My Generation/See Me, Feel Me/Overture/Naked Eye/Pinball Wizard/The Ox/Sparks"
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I hear a New Speedway Boogie tease in Big Boss Man. it seems to hit right on the 3:30 mark. and its very brief. also I fee like this one was announced for pre order on a Friday. and in the evening as well on my time zone. when its usually in the afternoon or even as early as 3 am usually the dave's picks have always been announced at 3am.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

tomorrow brings the odyssey thru Europa, '72. Be there or be square. lol You know what I really hope? I hope that the next release isn't announced 'til after #26 hits us, because it's going to really blow us away and I wouldn't want its magnificence diminished in any way. BTW, get some Miles Bootleg Series, vol.6, in your down time while listening to Europe '72 - the Olympia, Tivolis and Konserthuset (Stockholm) are the venues - 'tis all I got. See ya at Jazzfest!
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

I used to be a quite a fan of The Who way back then, with Pinball Wizard being their calling card to me, when it was on the top-40 AM radio charts. First I bought some 45rpm singles, then albums. In December 1975 I saw them live with Moon and Townshend smashing his guitar on stage at The Spectrum in Philly. That was the only time with Moonie for me. I saw The Who several times after that, most notable, in 1979 at Madison Square Garden for three of the five nights run, 9/16-17-18/79. As I listened and read about their shows, I began noticing that there wasn't all that much variety in their sets and a song played one night was the same or almost the same as the night before or following. Then reading about the Day on the Green Number 8 (10/9-10/76) Pete Townshend is quoted saying something like "he wishes The Who could be as versatile as the Grateful Dead" or something like that, or somebody else said it. I stopped listening to The Who about 1985 (Live Aid) and shortly afterwards, the Dead's '85 NYE national radio broadcast caught my ear and good-bye "Oo" and hello to a much closer appreciation of the good 'ol Grateful Dead. Since Dick's Picks 33 was released in November 2004, I haven't listened or watched any of The Who. They are still a great classic rock band.
product sku