• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I pictured it as pretty cushy, with tunnels dug underneath covered by an old wood stove so you can come and go at will... advanced telecommunications, ......
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

There was a workplace shooting in San Bruno, California today, a woman employee (or not) shot and injured employees of Youtube. It appears so far that she then committed suicide. Details are unfolding, check the media outlets for further details, not here on dead.net. For me, Youtube is a great place to view and listen to Grateful Dead concerts and videos and individual efforts of the band members and others associated with the Grateful Dead family, such as the Dead Covers Project of the last several years. San Bruno is the birthplace of Ronald Charles "Pigpen" McKernan, our beloved former front-man of the good ol Grateful Dead. When I hear or read or see anything about or from San Bruno, Pigpen comes to mind first.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

Seems like all of the clues are leading to a Spring 1970 Box.
user picture

Member for

8 years

... the upcoming, ‘New’, Grateful Dead boxset in 2018Is going to “wow” all dead fans, old & new alike. It’s a masterpiece!!! I can guarantee that every member on this board and fans of the Grateful Dead are going to witness a miracle. Prepare to smile smile smile folks! :)
user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

You say that as though you've seen it.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

There's a lot more blue in this album cover when you're looking at it in person.
user picture

Member for

8 years

...I trying to understand what you mean. Are you talking about the shade of blue used for contrast ?Was just wondering what your post meant. :)
user picture

Member for

8 years

...I’ve seen, yes
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

It's a seven show box. 03/19/73- Nassau Coliseum - Uniondale, NY 03/21/73- Utica Memorial Auditorium - Utica, NY 03/22/73- Utica Memorial Auditorium - Utica, NY 03/24/73- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA 03/26/73- Baltimore Civic Center - Baltimore, MD 03/30/73- War Memorial Auditorium - Rochester, NY 03/31/73- War Memorial Auditorium - Buffalo, NY Edit: Maybe a swap 3/16 for 3/21, I'll take one.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....top 10 version Phish ever played. Don't believe the florist....
user picture

Member for

8 years

Ronald Charles McKernanAlso known as ‘Pigpen’ - He was initially nicknamed "Blue Ron" before settling on pigpen. Pigpen was like a shooting star, burning bright in the beginning and slowly burning out and fading away. He was the lead vocalist when the group formed, he was the one urging the band members to go electric soon after Phil joined the group.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

Seven shows spanning 66 to 72 with Princeton 71 being the center piece..one for each slice of bacon.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Dear Lovemygirl, You do realize that if you give away the contents of the boxset before the official announcement we will have to kill you. Sincerely, TPTB
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

While I can't even guess what the music will be, here what is in store......The product will be announced, and there will be a mad stampede to order it. And then the Dead.net server will crash, the first time. Then when it comes back online there will be hours of frustration as people try and complete the order process and get kicked out, or their order won't process, or any number of situations that will piss people off. There will be complaints, and angry fans who simply wish to buy a copy, but get screwed by the Dead.net technical laziness and lack of concern. Then the server will crash again! Then an excuse will be offered. Repeat and Rinse.....blah, blah, blah.......... I hope Im wrong for your guys sake, but I feel pretty confident this is your future. If its limited and a low number, some people will get shut-out. The sad thing? It doesn't have to be like this. We will see, won't we?
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Island Tour: not one weak show out of the bunch. I still have the Cds I got for Christmas. currently playing the 4/2/98 one. 1st Birds of a Feather needed some tweeking.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

"... the upcoming, ‘New’, Grateful Dead boxset in 2018Is going to “wow” all dead fans, old & new alike. It’s a masterpiece!!! I can guarantee that every member on this board and fans of the Grateful Dead are going to witness a miracle. Prepare to smile smile smile folks! :)" For the above to be true, it would have to be Fillmore West 1969 The Complete Recordings REMASTERED. We've got a real picky crowd here.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Dead of the Day: April 4, 1971http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/04-04-1971 Manhattan Center New York, New York ... After a fun little stage banter, the band plows right into a smoking Bertha. A tune later, Pig enters the scene with Next Time You See Me, bringing some awesome harp and fine vocals. They never really let up from there with an early Morning Dew into Playing. After a good Loser, Pig delivers the last Easy Wind ever with great deep and bluesy vocals. The band, however, is a little out of sorts, screwing up at the end before everything comes together. But they come right back together and rip through a smoking, tight Greatest Story> Johnny B. Goode. The second set is much the same, fabulous, rocking tune after smoking jam. There is little spacy-ness here, but the boys totally make up for it with pure, throw-down, bluesy, rock and roll. After a monster, 25-minute Good Lovin’, the Dead finally throttle back slightly, delivering a Going Down the Road Feeling Bad that is a bit more relaxed, but lacks nothing for beautiful jams and tasty licks. That leads us into a Saint Stephen that builds, gaining intensity and energy as it picks up speed. Eventually, it roars into a Not Fade Away that continues the high energy, wailing up until Uncle John’s, which puts an oh so sweet end to the night. 04/04/71 Manhattan Center - New York City, NY Set 1: Bertha Me And My Uncle Next Time You See Me Morning Dew Playin' In The Band Loser Easy Wind Me And Bobby McGee Greatest Story Ever Told Johnny B. Goode Set 2: Truckin' Hard To Handle Deal Sugar Magnolia Casey Jones Good Lovin' Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad St. Stephen Not Fade Away Uncle John's Band
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

April 4, 1969http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/04-04-1969 Avalon Ballroom San Francisco, California An absolute scorcher of a show. 04/04/69 Avalon Ballroom - San Francisco, CA Set 1: Good Morning Little School Girl Doin' That Rag Cryptical Envelopment Drums The Other One Cryptical Envelopment Death Don't Have No Mercy Set 2: Turn On Your Love Light Dark Star St. Stephen The Eleven Feedback Poster: http://www.deadlists.com/posters/1960s/19690404a.html Artist's proofs: http://www.deadlists.com/posters/1960s/19690404proofs.html
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Greek Theatre Box set.... Mr. Pete---------> aging hippie
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thanks for the clarification, all this time I thought Pigpen was a filthy two dimensional human child with a severe case of dysmorphia. Sarcastic eye roll...I'm skeptical that anyone on this board but Bolo knows whats happening. Especially when comments are full of hyperbole and wikipedia facts. But, I'm a deadfreak scientist so skepticism, sarcasm and cynicism pretty much consume my interpretation of everything.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

My prediction for announcement: 4th week of April (Monday 4/23 - Friday 4/28) After a 90 day window; Release date: should be in the last week of July (Monday 7/23 - Friday 7/28) just in time for Jerry's birthday, Wednesday, August 1st, and some folks may get delivery on Thursday the 9th. Contents: I won't predict/speculate on this matter, or the number of discs in this box, only that the contents WILL NOT BE: The Spectrum, Philadelphia PA., September 30-31, October 1, 1995. That's 8 or 9 discs of silence. Now playing: Mississippi 1/2 Step (11/06/77) DaP 25 vs. circulating 122296 soundboard. Now drinking: coffee - black, without creamer or sugar.
user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Not predicting this will ever happen but I'm sure would be well received.Summer Roosevelt Box Set: 7/18/72; 8/1/73; 8/6/74 (would be nice to get full show); 8/4/76. Dave, if you're reading....make this happen!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

more and more I like the idea of a box consisting of complete shows spanning multiple years from the same venue. I'm an east coast guy so would love an MSG or Spectrum box but those are probably out considering several shows have already been released from those venues so I'd gladly "settle" for a Greek and/or Frost set instead!
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

I took the Pepto clue as a cure for the runs so I was thinking the release would be a complete Run at one venue. My initial thoughts were for BCT, Capitol Theatre or Orpheum, but they've all had a show released. So then my thinking was shows from the Greek, but the Beacon guess is interesting too.
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Not sure if this has come up, but is Bolo's earlier clue (Johnann 6 2) a (somewhat obvious) reference to John 6:2? "Then a great multitude followed Him, because they saw His signs which He performed on those who were diseased." Perhaps the box will include a series of shows for charity causes?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

bottom line - the biggest clue the bolo gave was the pepto reference to my post about being nauseated with yet more releases from 1969-1978, while ignoring the other 21 years they played shows.....his pepto point was simple, a shot at me to prepare to be more nauseated with 1969-1978 shows: BOX SET - 1969 or so, DP#27 - 1973.....have at it 1970s crew
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

First, RV3, thanks for the compliment: getting out of hand is what we do. Second, you can take full credit for that Pepto "clue," as that's exactly what Bolo is talking about. And thank you, because that means we're in the zone for good, primal GD music on the upcoming box. Third, now that Bolo has redirected the chanting mob from Summer '73 to some grease, we presumably go right to the source of the matter: I'm with whoever suggested that the Capitol, Feb '71, will finally gets its due. So, let's see: (6) shows (Three from Vault now out of print and 11 years old), typically (2-3) discs per show, call it (14) discs (guess) at typical $10/disc and you have that 'small' box at $150. PIGPEN FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

That one was still available in the store a few days ago, in both, single show and the FTV 1-3 box. Interesting, just went to check, and the "music store" link above is down. I'm thinking an announcement within the next day or two might be imminent. Probably regarding Record Store Day and something about a box. I would think we're probly still a couple of weeks out before the presale for the remaining copies of Dave's Picks Vol 26 is announced. Maybe even a 50th Anthem presale announcement.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just found a message sent to my Inbox on Sunday saying that if I don't buy a copy of the RFK 89 Box I won't be allowed to buy the new box.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

We offer our sincere apologies for that threatening message and ensure you that the sender will be punished. He should have said the July 1978 box.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....careful. That's racist. ;)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

'He should have said the July 1978 box' Phhewww. I already have that one.
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

I only bought the RFK 89 box as insurance against any potential blackmail. Already had the 78 box, so hopefully that means I'm covered.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

I only bought the '89 box so I could (self)righteously annoy the "70's mafia".Didn't work. It hasn't sold out yet. C'mon people.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

that's funny, but they sure are pushing that box and the 2 cd "best of". Store is down, had to come thru the back door to get in here. Announcement? Yesterday was the 17th anniversary of a great ratdog show I saw at the house of blues in orlando, fla. All dead music and lots of jams, it was a great nite. If you have ever been to the house of blues, it pretty much SRO, but there are a few tables with chairs around them in the back, I think maybe 6 or 8 with 3 or 4 chairs around them, you know the kind, a high table with high back bar stool like chairs around them. We were sitting there at one of those tables and the waitress would bring drinks and set them on the table and bam, they would fall over, it happened several times as a new waitress would bring the drinks, and of course, they were no charge if they fell over, so pretty soon they would just bring the drinks and I never got a bill, that's the kind of nite it was. Never did figure out why those drinks kept falling over. one recommendation, do not try to dance on those tables. :) 2001 was a good year for Deadheads in Fla Ratdog on the third, then Phil and friends the following weekend in Miami, 2 nites, Friday and Saturday, that was fun too but not as off the hook as that Ratdog show was, they brought the grease that nite for sure. I could dig a pig box, but 73 would be mighty fine. I expect something tomorrow, right before the weekend, to be put up on the front page.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

The Merry Pranksters: Acid Tests, Further, Grateful Dead & MoreApr 1, 201812:13 pm PDTBy Andy Kahn https://www.jambase.com/article/merry-pranksters-acid-tests-grateful-de… Includes 1. an animated interview with Grateful Dead guitarist Jerry Garcia talking about Kesey and The Merry Pranksters and how the Acid Test gigs came about. 2. a slightly less coherent clip of Cassady appearing on KGO-TV ahead of the Acid Test Graduation at the Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco on October 31, 1966 3. Cassady makes a cameo in this video montage of scenes from a 1966 Acid Test Graduation (with music from a 1968 Dead show) 4. a complete look at Kesey and The Merry Pranksters - BBC Channel 4 documentary that originally aired in August 1999
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Yours truly typically spends several one-week journeys in the backcountry of NW Colorado in spring and again in fall. I am the point man for me and my legendary GD buddy, Steve-o, who lives in the foothills here and doesn't have Internet access, nor a credit card. Thus, should a box appear, I've got to be on it for (2) boxes. The question is, does a box pre-order announcement typically just appear on the dead.net site, or do they send the faithful customers an email to forewarn them? I just don't remember from, um, last year. With a couple days notice, I can make a plan. But if I'm going to be out of town, I'll need to make some serious pre-arrangements. Not to add to the hype I've fomented, just thinking practicalities should the moment be nigh.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

That'll be $183,503.52 plus tax and shipping. PM me and send me a certified check and I'll take care of it for you.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

listening to Motorhead as I do lame-ass paper work. "Hear me talkin' Doctor Rock" those lyrics play as I look at rolling stone article about Dwayne The Rock Johnson anything to avoid this verkahkte paperwork.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

They usually send an email, but eeeeeeszhhh, I don't know if I would........you know.....rely on that. Them. You dig? Lovethegirls, I was saying there's more blue in the DaP 25 album cover than the picture on this Web page belays. Is that the right word, belays? It just popped into my f***king head. Yeah when you look at the real thing or a good scan, it doesn't seem so red. Lotta blue in there, and I don't mean the blue on the Dave's Picks banner. I'm going to go lookup belays. Ladle. Laaadle. Funny word. Ladle. Ladle.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

You may be thinking of 'belie'. belie verb 1. To give an inaccurate view of by representing falsely or misleadingly: color, distort, falsify, load, misrepresent, misstate, pervert, twist, warp, wrench, wrest. Idiom: give a false coloring to. 2. To prove or show to be false:
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Why can’t we just sign up for a permanent preorder list?We’ll get an advance notice email that allows us to reserve one copy of an upcoming release for preorder, and we can place the order when we return from whatever it is we are out doing. Kind of like a new age record club. Sorry hendrixfreak, only one copy, your friend needs to join the club.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....the senator is on it. Careful to swing away from the concert tix pre-orders mindset, which is a joke and a half.
product sku