• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

This is fun... I’m going to lob in a guess too.I’ll go with summer ‘73 also - it’s a very logical choice. 3 complete shows: 5/26/73 - Kezar Stadium, San Francisco - 4 discs 6/9/73 - RFK, Washington DC - 3 discs 6/10/73 - RFK, Washington DC - 4 discs 11 discs total. My thinking here is that 6/10 and 5/26 are both legendary shows and neither one can ever be a Dave’s pick because they can’t fit on 3 discs. They absolutely have to be released and a box set is the only way. Maybe they call it “sea to shining sea” or “coast to coast” or something like that. Whatever it ends up being, I’m going to be buying it.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

If this is the box set, then it may sell out within days. Can't think of another era that's in as much demand other than Ark '69 or Fall '72. I think it's gonna be a larger box, probably 12 shows (6/9 through 8/1). Don't see them wasting the 5/26/73 bullet on a box, when its an obvious stand-alone release candidate, and 6/10/73 will surely be taking the stand-alone release from this possible set.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I'll go with 3 from '76: 6/11, 6/14 & 6/15 All returned Betty Boards, and there has yet to be a '76 box
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Once a year Dave's Picks puts out a four disc release. Could ya imagine 6/10/1973 as a Dap with the third set with the Allman Brothers as the bonus disc. That would definitely sellout sub's.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

The presence of bacon in the Muppet box would indicate that the "donor" of said bacon had, shall we say, moved beyond this earthly realm.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

miss piggyslaughtered old slaughter houses in Chicago Chicago box? doubt it nnnnnnnnnnnope. not getting anything.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

So it’s 7 hours of video of Kevin Bacon rehearsing for Footloose?
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

greasePigpen, who has departed this Earthly realm 7 how many shows in 68 NW tour? 68 box, babies, to go with Anthem re-release
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Too easy. Mel Blanc (voice of Porky Pig) passed on 7/10/89. GD played two nights at Giants Stadium where Jimmy Hoffa is buried. /s
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

I'm watching the National Championship game on mute- Go Nova! and streaming the Jam of the Week right now. We are the luckiest bunch of bastards around. I am so grateful for this band, this community, the archive, the people who recorded it all, and all the folks who make all the releases happen... it just blows me away how much we have to listen to and love. I can't get enough, and I am grateful. That's all.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Ha.. I always look at those monthly newsletters from Rhino with a bit of skepticism.. I expect the Footloose box will be the big news on next months newsletter.
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Been enjoying reading the speculation about the next box. I would be most psyched to see a summer '73 box, but it seems like there are an awful lot of Pig and bacon references in Bolo's "clues". Looking at the other reference by Bolo to "6" and "2" and noticing that there are 6 shows from the month 2 of '71 in the Capital Theater, Port Chester, NY run (2/18/71, 2/19/71, 2/20/71, 2/21/71, 2/23/71 and 2/24/71) and all are on the list of returned Betty Boards. Of course, 2/19/71 was previously released as 3FTV, but one can always hope. These shows came up in discussion somewhat recently on these threads, mostly as the subject of high praise, so maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part. Pretty sure that I will be glad to get whatever the selection is for the box set, haven't really been disappointed so far.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I would really love a box full of Pigpen shows, the people who suggest a Spring '73 (Pig passed on March 8, 1973) may be closer to the mark. Could include these two shows where they played He's Gone. 1973-03-24 - The Spectrum - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1973-03-26 - Baltimore Civic Center - Baltimore, Maryland And possibly the previous shows in NY depending on the number of discs 1973-03-15 - Nassau Coliseum - Uniondale, New York 1973-03-16 - Nassau Coliseum - Uniondale, New York 1973-03-19 - Nassau Coliseum - Uniondale, New York 1973-03-21 - Utica Memorial Auditorium - Utica, New York 1973-03-22 - Utica Memorial Auditorium - Utica, New York
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I'd be fine with that. They all shine although I am partial to 3/24 and 3/26.
user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Bolo's clues are for once pretty clear. I'd love a 73 box, but it's obviously Pigpen. Maybe next year on the 73.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

First Danny Gatton, and now Pat Martino? Damn man, you know your music! I hope it reaches some new ears, that's always awesome...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Jim, was hoping to touch base with you, maybe next time... Peace, all. (This user name is now deleted.)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I mentioned this a couple of times before... There used to be an Allman Brothers fanzine called "Hittin' The Note" that was incirculation from the early '90's until a few years back around the time the ABB stopped touring. There was an article in one issue with an interview bewteen Dick latvala and "Tour Mystic" Kirk West around the time that ABB "Fillmore East, February 1970" was released by GDP. Recorded by Owsley at the same famous FE '70 Dead shows that comprise Dicks Picks Vol. 4. In the article interview, Dick Latvala and kirk West discussed a project they where to work on involving sets of both, the Allman's and the Dead's sets from RFK '73 in a box set package. When I have a few minutes, I'll dig out my collection of issues of "Hittin' The Note" so I can cite the exact issue number (it was mailed out quarterly. I have most of them), the author and maybe transcribe the article in it's entirety, as I'm not having luck finding it online. They were discontinued, but can still be found on Ebay amongst other places. So, my hopes for an RFK '73 box would be to fulfill Dick Latvala's and Kirk West's vision for the "Allman/Dead RFK '73" box they once discussed. To truly and properly appreciate the historic nature that this event must include the full program of what transpired those two days. If they can pull off getting the Betty boards back, and pull off $200-$750 box sets, they can do what needs to be done to make this Allman/Dead RFK '73 box happen, just as Dick Latvala wanted. Maybe even dedicate it to him, Gregg Allman, Butch Trucks and everybody else involved who is no longer with us. ...also would make a great crossover project to bring together fans of both iconic bands. Otiel is now yet another link, even though the shows happened long before his time (and Warrens's for that matter).
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Dead of the Day: April 3, 1970http://www.gratefuldeadoftheday.com/04-03-1970 University of Cincinnati Field House Cincinnati, Ohio The show gets off to a solid start with a clipped entry into Casey Jones. From there we get a standard, but oh so good China>Rider. Then Pigpen makes his first appearance and throws down on the Hard to Handle; it will not be his only highlight on this night. Bobby then calls for a “drummer’s choice,” which elicits a rocking Dancing in the Streets that devolves into a smoking jam, dominated by Mickey, Billy, and Jerry. The second set is acoustic and all Jerry tunes, save Pig on Katie Mae. The early Friend of the Devil includes some alternate lyrics. Deep Elem, Candyman, and Uncle John’s are all tasty and clean little nuggets of Dead sweetness. Jerry’s voice is so resonant and touching throughout all of them. Then Pig gives us a solid Katie Mae to cap off the middle period. The third set opens with a fine Good Lovin’. With Pig on vocals, the boys enter into a straight-up blues-rock jam in the middle of the tune that has the whole band playing as a single writing beast, culminating in some awesome vocal vamping to end the song. Next up is an Other One Suite that is the standout of the entire evening, especially the second Cryptical which arches outward and then thrashes about before heading off soaring again; it is a thing of beauty. A great Cosmic Charlie follows only to lead to a short, hard jammed Not Fade Away that sort of breaks into Lovelight. While Pig does not get into a full-on rap at the end of it, he still takes out all the stops and delivers a monumental effort. Unfortunately, the We Bid You Goodnight encore is not on the recording. On this night, the Dead highlighted a bill that included the Lemon Pipers and Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters. The Lemon Pipers were a psychedelic bubblegum pop band that had a number one hit that year with Green Tambourine. One can imagine that they played a fairly standard musical set. However, it is entirely unclear what the Merry Pranksters would have been doing for their act, short of handing out LSD. Lossless Bootleg Bonanza: Grateful Dead – Cincinnati, OH (04/03/70) grateful dead - cincinnati - 1970-04-03-Cincin-Field-House Grateful Dead 4/3/70 Field House, University of Cincinnati Cincinnati OH gd70-04-03.sbd.cotsman.sbefail.flac16 Download: FLAC/MP3 https://themidnightcafe.org/2018/03/05/lossless-bootleg-bonanza-gratefu… SBD from bootleg “Cincinnati 1970″ This is a flac encoded & tagged version of shnid: 4283 –Setlist– –Electric– 101-d1t01 – //Casey Jones 102-d1t02 – China Cat Sunflower -> 103-d1t03 – I Know You Rider 104-d1t04 – Hard to Handle 105-d1t05 – Dancing in the Streets 106-d1t06 – Me & My Uncle –Acoustic– 107-d1t07 – Friend of the Devil 108-d1t08 – Deep Elem Blues 109-d1t09 – Candyman 110-d1t10 – Wake Up Little Susie -> 111-d1t11 – Black Peter 112-d2t01 – Uncle John’s Band 113-d2t02 – Katie Mae –Electric– 114-d2t03 – //Good Lovin’ 115-d2t04 – Cryptical Envelopment -> 116-d2t05 – Drums -> 117-d2t06 – The Other One -> 118-d2t07 – Cryptical Envelopment -> 119-d2t08 – Cosmic Charlie 120-d2t09 – Not Fade Away -> 121-d2t10 – Turn on Your Lovelight% notes: -missing encore (We Bid You Goodnight). -Casey Jones fades in at…at trouble junction.” -Good Lovin’ fades in about 30 seconds before the drum solo, during the chorus. -There is a minor splice in Lovelight during Pigpen’s rap. -This is the first known Candyman. From the original uploader: As this show is from a bootleg, no source info was given, though the sound indicates that at least one, and probably two analog generations occurred before being transferred to digital. The pitch was corrected using Sound Forge as the original recording was flat. Retracking was done with CDWave. There are occasional, very faint pops in the recording as well as occasional oversaturation. Lastly, and significantly, an intermittent buzz occurs throughout the show from a bad connection somewhere. It is most evident during the acoustic set. 4/3/70 Poster http://www.deadlists.com/posters/1970s/19700403a.html
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

April 3, 1968http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/04-03-1968 Winterland Arena San Francisco, California This show does not seem to exist in recorded format. There is even some questions about whether the Dead even played on this night. What is known is that this was a benefit fo the employees of KMPX, a San Francisco free form radio station, who had gone out on strike. There were a number of concerts in support of the strikers, including a street show as soon as news broke that the workers went out on strike that some also put the Dead at. On April 3rd, it seems very likely that the Dead played with The Youngbloods, Moby, Electric Flag, and a few other San Francisco-based bands in support of the KMPX employees. Reports have the setlist as Cryptical> Other One> Cryptical> New Potato Caboose> Born Cross-Eyed, Alligator>Drums> Alligator> Caution. 4/3/68 Poster http://www.deadlists.com/posters/1960s/19680403c.html
user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

We've got Pig . . . We've got "Departed this earthly realm" . . . And we've got a grassroots populist movement for summer 73 . . . So maybe its a run from 73 shortly after Pig departed this earthly realm?
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

https://archive.org/details/gd1985-04-03.sbd.walker-scotton.miller.1062… https://archive.org/details/gd86-04-03.sbd.samaritano.18509.sbeok.shnf Here's night 2 at the Centrum '87. https://archive.org/details/gd1987-04-03.140292.sbd.miller.flac2496 This was my second show and only Easter Sunday show. Jerry was sick so the show was OK. If you can get past the vocals Black Peter was good. Walking around the back of the civic center before the show I was almost hit by the gold van that was dropping off Jerry for sound check. https://archive.org/details/gd1988-04-03.sbd.miller.91161.sbeok.flac16 Grateful Dead Download Series Volume 9 - 4/3/89 Not as much energy as the night before but a very good show. Set 1 Greatest Story Ever Told, Bertha, Walkin' Blues, Jack A Roe, El Paso, Built To Last, Victim Or The Crime, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, Don't Ease Me In Set 2 Blow Away, Estimated Prophet-> Crazy Fingers-> Uncle John's Band-> Drums-> Jam-> Gimme Some Lovin'-> I Need A Miracle-> Stella Blue-> Sugar Magnolia, E: Johnny B. Goode, E: Black Muddy River The last Spring 90 4/3/1990.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Hey Dantian.. Saw your post, gave you a shout-out at the end of my reply yesterday... I'm still alive and kicking. Shoot me a PM the next time you're around. Good to see you..
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

To badly invert and paraphrase Hank Williams... Bolo writes: "HF: The presence of bacon in the Muppet box would indicate that the "donor" of said bacon had, shall we say, moved beyond this earthly realm." That's either the biggest head fake since March Madness or Bolo is saying "not Summer '73," but "think Pigpen." I'm suspicious of Bolo's obviousness. BUT, if instead of Summer '73 we get a Pigpen-centric box, then that's even better. What would such a box look like? If truly Pig-centric, they'd have to put together one entire CD of Pig's home tapes and any studio outtakes they may have. Then a few complete shows that really feature Pig. And there's the returned tapes angle. If Bolo means grease = Pigpen, then I'd have to place my bets on a series of 1971 shows, some from returned tapes. Perhaps this is the box that should have been released for the 50th to honor the GD's first frontman? But released in the back half of the year to avoid too much redundancy with DaP 26? And what is the commercial potential for a Pig-centric box? Unless it's just a holy @#$%!^&* slice of primal GD to rouse the faithful. (It's all about ME again...) Ah, Bolo, when you toss a pebble into the pond, many concentric circles result. You obviously enjoy your "work." If my musings hold any truth, then Bolo's role is to get speculation redirected to the actual planned box. Perhaps an announcement is closer than we think. Mr. Hype-ster Numero Uno, that's me. Never would've thunk it.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I'm terrible at these but here goes. I think the Seven movie reference was just there because we were all clamoring for what the next box was going to be hence a good ribbing from Bolo. I think the bacon reference was code for the Beacon Theatre. The 6 is for June, the 2 is for two shows June 14, 15... The Johann I have no idea. At the end of the day i will buy whatever it is and then start wondering what the next box is going to be!!! Please no more snow in the Northeast.. be good bob t
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Muppet box is a reference for Manhattan. Who knows what year they chose. Would love to see the Manhattan Center shows! I'm A Hog For Ya Baby!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

I wonder if the 6 2 reference has to do with the band configuration. 6 band members, 2 drummers? That would make the years of possibility somewhere between late 67-early 71. I don't think it would be the Brent or post Brent years...only because of the Pig references. Hope to find out today...man I am tired of the same info on dead.net every day!
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Dave's Picks 6 tee shirt (navy blue) and Dave's Picks 10 tee shirt creme color with Tony Millionaire Alligator artwork ? Size Large or XL , anyone score these a few years ago from here ? other question is what cool merch / items have you purchased from this site or from GD almanac in years past ? Anybody get any cool patches or pins ? Years ago when the Closing of Winterland 1978 CD / DVD was released, the almanac sold a jean jacket with big embroidered patch on the back, the blue rose. I hope they put another cool jacket up for sale soon, last one I saw here was from 2015 varsity style jacket. http://www.deadlists.com/posters/1960s/19691024.html
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Checked out the link, I watched most of New Riders, but what really caught my ear was Beth Hart. Though I have a chunk of her, I guess I've never listened. I guess she survived and overcame heroin(?), pictures of her over the years show quite a change over time. But what a voice.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Muppets Take Manhattan. Got it.Bacon....... Beacon. Got it. so "6 2" would be 2 shows from 76 (ie 6/14 & 15/76 at The Beacon Theatre, NYC). Had rough transfers of the boards from these dates back in my cassette collecting days. Both shows are WORTHY! Of course, Pigpen shows float my boat too... and 5/26, 6/10/73 are monsters....
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

hendrixfreak, I think you hit the nail on the head, that it's Pig-centric, not summer '73, and that this statement you made is the format: "they'd have to put together one entire CD of Pig's home tapes and any studio outtakes they may have. Then a few complete shows that really feature Pig". Seems to be what Bolo is saying consistently. Bolo - how's it feel to be spoken about in the 3rd person so much :D ? I also think that a Pigpen box set is a creative way to keep a fresh veneer on the archival releases. I know I tend to go into auto-pilot when guessing at these things, and presume the "theme" of the box set will be a run of shows from a specific period. But they switched things up with 30 Trips Around the Sun (what a treat that was). Maybe they've switched it up again and are focusing on a person. And why not shed some focus on Pigpen? He was a huge part of the band in the early years, and a fan favorite. Looking back at the Dave's Picks releases, he was only featured on, let's see.... 1 out of 4 shows each year from 2013 - 2017, and no shows in the DaP flagship year 2012. That's let's see... 20%. This is interesting, now that I'm really looking closely at the recent Pigpen releases. Outside of the Dave's Picks series, here are the releases (skipping over "doubles" that were released on vinyl only, as well as single show releases from box sets): 2012 Winterland: May 30th 1971 (LP only / incomplet show). Hardly counts as a release :D Anyone have an extra copy? Spring 90 (6 shows) 2013 Family Dog at the Great Highway, San Francisco, CA 4/18/70 (acoustic only). May 1977 (5 shows) Sunshine Daydream (1 show) 2014 Spring Too (8 shows) Live at Hampton (incomplete show) Houston, Texas 11-18-1972 (incomplete show) 2015 30 Trips Around The Sun (6/30 shows feature Pigpen) 2016 July 1978: The Complete Recordings (5 shows) 2017 July 29 1966, P.N.E. Garden Aud., Vancouver Canada (LP only) May 1977: Get Shown the Light (4 shows) RFK 1989 (2 shows) This tallies up as approx 57 shows without Pigpen to 9 with Pigpen (1 which was an incomplete vinyl release, 1 which was acoustic only, and 1 which was vinyl only). That works out to about 13%. Tallied altogether (Dave's Picks + the rest), there were approx 91 shows released from 2012 forward (excluding Fare Thee Well), 9 of which featured Pigpen - that's a meager 15%. I'd say it's time for a Pigpen box set. But what to call it?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

I think there were some shows that the Dead played where bacon was actually fried on stage. A quick look seems to suggest the shows played in Manhattan in Nov 1970. I’d have to look later when I’m back at a computer to be sure. If correct that seems to tie into a lot of the clues.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Could it be a Fillmore East '71 box. I have a vault pic showing last reel of 4/27 all reels of 4/28 and the 1a reel of 4/29 and partial pic of 4/29 1b reel. Looks like the multi-track reels are intact and this would tie into a late release date like Europe 72 Complete recordings. Taking time to get everything exactly perfect. Announcement would be in June and box would ship in September. 04/25/71- Fillmore East - New York City, NY 04/26/71- Fillmore East - New York City, NY 04/27/71- Fillmore East - New York City, NY 04/28/71- Fillmore East - New York City, NY 04/29/71- Fillmore East - New York City, NY
user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

There's a Daves 6 shirt on Ebay right now. Its XXL though. And no, I'm not the one selling it :)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

that it still could be a Port Chester '71 box, based on the clues and some prior guesses. Bacon - Pigpen, plus Capitol Theater was once a catering hall per wikipedia. Muppet clue - Jim Henson died in NYC. Miss Piggy could also be the bacon in the box. Peptol Bismol - using Seth's interpretation that another 70-78 might nauseate some (but not me...). Also, Miss Piggy was a pink one too, and she may have nauseated Kermit more than a few times, which made him turn so green. Johann 6 2 - Six being the six shows in Feb (month 2), as someone previously mentioned. Johann, well here's a stretch, but there are 4 upcoming performances of Johann Strauss music at another Capitol Theatre (in Salt Lake City) in May 2018. Four performances also equals 6 minus 2. https://concertfix.com/tours/johann-strauss+capitol-theatre-ut+salt-lak… So, a Port Chester '71 box announced in May? I don't buy the overlap problem of the next DaP being '71 ruling out a box set from that year too. After so-so sales on the 78 and 89 box sets, I think they may want another quick homerun like the high that the GSTL box sellout gave them, to keep the momentum going. Port Chester would do that, I presume.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Bolo has become the poster child on why they should not give internet access to inmates in California. My brain is sufficiently numb from thinking about this.. I'm more likely to hit it big with scratch off lottery tickets than solving some of these clues. :D
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

which I think is slim, is a box with Pigpen demos, studio outtakes and the early, incomplete shows that feature his frontman status, 1966-1971 (because '72 has been released), a couple of complete shows that his music dominates; e.g., one of the least-known shows that came back with the returned tapes. Seems like ABCD Enterprises has to figure into it somehow. Or, Frosted has the likeliest scenario, and it might include returned reels. Yes, JimInMD, all this speculation "Hurts Me Too."
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I find myself nodding yes to all these possibilities.. I always hold out hope for a little surprise/twist of fate. Perhaps there is a mystery reel or two in our future.. Although I suspect one of us nailed it this time. Happy trails..
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

If they follow their usual schedule DaP should go on preorder the week after next and Anthem 50th in the middle of May. If they announce the box preorder too is there anyone on this board who wants to preorder one of my kidneys?
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I'll take two. Will they make me trip?
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Only if you eat them with some fava beans and a nice chianti.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

That hurts. You KNOW I was framed. Besides, all my efforts are always for God and country. And my Deadhead brethren, of course.
user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Are any or all of us close to guessing the next box? haha #Fakenews
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

This is the year of the moment for me, and so I would like to see a box released from 1970. I seem to remember reading on here that there weren't as many good quality tapes in the vault from 1970, which would lessen the likelihood of a release, I suppose. But I would welcome a release even if the standard of sound was slightly reduced form what we have come to be used to.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

See, we know that you know that we know that you know what the next box is... Wait, doesn't the list of priorities go: Deadhead brethren FIRST, then "God" (advice: cut back to half a tab) and country (think Merle Haggard). The judge decreed it, judge he wrote it, judge he wrote it down: Deliver a Pigpen-centric box and I send you a "get-out-of-jail-free" card, though restrictions apply...
product sku