• 3,418 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    "We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• Kate_C.
    Phish tix in the po'box this p.m.; unlike Lockn where I at least feign roughing it in rolling 4 **** accommodations, I've decided my Outback and bricknmortar lodgings will do just fine on what should be an adventurous run from Hampton to Vegas between 10/19 and Halloween Night in Sin City. I'm only taking one show in Rosemont to facilitate a leisurely slog west, to include a one-night cabin rental in Grand Teton before spending another night in SLC (never visited either!). Near-universal wifi and a mobile workstation have revolutionized my quality of life more than quilted toilet paper, hot water heaters, and Trader Joe's Cookie Butter (though none are indispensable at this point). I've got trail running routes mapped along the way in addition to having identified a couple Y's where I can day pass into lap swimming. Happy.
  • Kate_C.
    ...she's what's yer life's been missing. Caution: the related video library is quite nearly addictive as the ETOH in Billy's 64 oz., genetically attached megathermos.
  • Kate_C.
    Technology fosters a certain audiologic pedantry that discounts the practical difficulties of archival transfers. Still, while a bit of the 2-track blues is understandable, Plangent alchemy has affected significant sonic upgrades to existing sources. Portland 74 is a well-known quantity to most, but the Truckin' Jam is a luminescent passage that defies contempt for even acute familiarity. While my favourite GDTRFBs tend to grind like roughly upshifted semi gears in transition from the preceding track, this strong rendition ascends from NFA with deliberate fluidity; also, Keith's bubbly, assertive, sometimes catalystic play makes many first-set standards remarkable. The daughter of the woman who cleans house for me**, age 10, was so entranced by the PNW outer & small wood boxes - suggesting it would make for good jewelry storage - that I gifted it immediately; heck, I was only going to shelve it for the next 50 years (according to actuarial tables), but it's become the center of focus for child - if only for a short bit - who exhibits more enthusiasm than I'll ever muster after unboxing. Still, it's easily the most aesthetically pleasing musical release from top-to-bottom that I've ever seen. Couple disks heading back, but that's been par for the course since the beginning, and I've never had a problem with speedy replacement. **This really isn't saying much in-and-of-itself: in Appalachia, if you've got something then it's implied that you will try to help others, and the most dignified way to do is offering work that you might otherwise undertake yourself. You'd be surprised the difference even a little makes here at altitude. :)
  • Kate_C.
    Rather wondering when someone was going to mention it; I thought it was just ephemera that bore some metaphysical correlation to page 5 of the accompanying text.
  • Kate_C.
    While it's not surprising that tix to the P&F Headcount Benefit Friday at the Apollo tumbled down several echelons of the firm's socioeconomic caste without claim, I still consider their availability a great fortune. Having never visited, attending any performance at that historically significant venue for the (my) first time would have been cause for a bucketlist deduction, but this was clearly special. Though tired, I returned home to discover that 2018's stellar - and costly - box set run would continue with the wish-list-topping (now that Szell is out) release of BOTT material for Dylan's 14th Bootleg installment. Because the amazon.uk page appears to address a Japanese import edition, I shouldn't imagine that the price quoted for this (purportedly) 6-disc release will be as exorbitant for the conventional Euro & US versions./K https://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Blood-Tracks-Bob-Dylan/dp/B07GVXL5DQ/ref=… Shout out to the old Eleven - I miss you guys! :)
  • Born Cross Eye…
    It was lost in the United States Postal Service system.Much frustration with the delay, now turned to joy. The only date I think I see on the label is in the lower section under the 2nd bar code and above the description, which reads: 01/2018. There is also the 3rd of 4 bar codes on the label in that box.
  • boki
    Default Avatar
    'Cats under the stars' & 'The Wheel' mirror
    At first, thanks to all who have been visited my mirrors, mostly XL 'Cats under the stars' mirror listed in cat shop. The mirror is ready for shipping worldwide, you can find it here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/595957100/cats-under-the-stars-mirror-jerr… I'm working currently on another mirror dedicated to Jerry. It's 'The Wheel' mirror, with the lyrics applied on the back side of the mirror. Hasn't been listed yet, but for Jerrys's birthday I listed psychedelic Jerry's hand made as a wall mirror: https://www.etsy.com/listing/632494283/psychedelic-jerry-garcia-hand-de…
  • wilfredtjones
    BCE got it off of Amazon from recently discovered overstock...
  • icecrmcnkd
    Is that a replacement, or was it ‘lost in the mail’?If replacement, does it have a number?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

"We left with our minds sufficiently blown and still peaking..."

We're headed back to that peak with the newly returned tapes from Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, 11/6/77. The Grateful Dead's last touring show of 1977 finds them going for broke, taking chances on fan favorites like "Jack Straw," "Friend Of The Devil," and "The Music Never Stopped," carving out righteous grooves on a one-of-kind "Scarlet>Fire" and a tremendous "Truckin'." An ultra high energy show, with a first set that rivals the second? Not unheard of, but definitely rare. Hear for yourself...

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 25 features liner notes by Rob Bleetstein, photos by Bob Minkin, and original art by our 2018 Dave's Picks Artist-In-Residence Tim McDonagh. As always, it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and it is limited to 18,000 individually numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Get one before they are gone, gone, gone.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Ah, the gut-wrenching agony of unmet expectations. Let the heaving and hurling begin. Me? I’m cool with whatever comes our way.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Or.... it's the shit.. and you'd better have some pepto on hand or you'll be doing some stinky laundry. At least that's my hope. I have to admit, my first thought was - Boreal Ridge.. the complete recordings. Then I came to my senses. Either way, they have to be putting the finishing touches on the roll-out strategy, pricing, packaging, logistics, release date, Normanization and the obligatory log-rolling release video. On second thought.. It's probably another obvious Bolo clue, I'm sure 80% of us already figured this release out. ______________________________________________ Pepto Bismol - Made in Greenville SC. The only Dead show ever in SC was 10/31/85, Columbia SC. So it must be a box set of all the Halloween shows. 10/31/66- Alliope Warehouse - San Francisco, CA 10/31/67- Winterland Arena - San Francisco, CA 10/31/68- The Matrix - San Francisco, CA 10/31/69- San Jose State University - San Jose, CA 10/31/70- Gym, S.U.N.Y. - Stony Brook, NY 10/31/70- Gym, S.U.N.Y. - Stony Brook, NY 10/31/71- Ohio Theatre - Columbus, OH 10/31/79- Nassau Coliseum - Uniondale, NY 10/31/80- Radio City Music Hall - New York City, NY 10/31/83- Marin County Veteran's Auditorium - San Rafael, CA 10/31/84- Berkeley Community Theater - Berkeley, CA 10/31/85- Carolina Coliseum (University Of South Carolina) - Columbia, SC 10/31/90- Wembley Arena - London, England 10/31/91- Oakland Coliseum Arena - Oakland, CA or perhaps.. a reference to New Years celebrations?
user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

Thanks Jim for the von Tollbooth & Chrome Nun "Your Mind has Left Your Body". Reminds me that it's a good time to once again cue up P.E.R.R.O (Planet Earth Rock 'N' Roll Orchestra) – a motherlode of embryonic musical threads including the MLB mantra. Wonder where would we be without the insanely creative cross-pollination that fermented in Wally Heider's in the early '70s. Ingredients: David Crosby, Jerry Garcia, Phil Lesh, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Paul Kantner, Grace Slick, Jorma Kaukonen, Jack Casady, Graham Nash, David Freiberg, Quicksilver, et alii. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Earth_Rock_and_Roll_Orchestra#Disc… https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Earth-Rock-Roll-Orchestra/dp/B00JF2EZ8C And THANK YOU Sixtus for the latest Sixtus' Picks (Number 12 maybe?) Nice!
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Yes, thanks for the clip Jim. Jerry's work on all those PERRO sessions is immaculate. I need to make myself a compilation of the tunes with Jerry... And good call on Boreal- Ha, I think you nailed it! mhammond- Eww. I think I could have gone all day without reading that! :/ :)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....Donna Jean is doing an Ask Me Anything session today on Reddit. 6 pm MST. Don't be late!
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

My favorite is 6-28-743-15-90 is also nice Thanks Jim. I didn’t know that it was actually based on a song. Just thought they had made it up.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

11/11/73
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Thanks VGuy.. I had only seen the clips from Veneta and Long Strange Trip from this before. In the beginning.. Jerry is donning a broom, cleaning the place up.. about a minute in. What a trip.. Soon after Bear is carrying in either a drum or more likely a speaker or something heavy.. hey, wow.. what's this.. hey that's me. I'm the one with the large, India Ink looking, undulating, swimming, flying saucer pupils with my tongue hanging down to the floor then spreading out licking up the spilled ball bearing looking things that are all over the place and seemingly regrouping in an attempt to take over the world. whew.. I think I got them all, except perhaps one. Very cool.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I have to agree. Listen to this one a lot. Lot's of happiness here especially on a Friday! Would be even happier with a new box announcement though...
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Hey.. way to go VGuy. I am not a reddit person but I had no trouble going there, finding that thread and checking out your back and forth. Good job, very entertaining and informative. Lots of other interesting back and forth as well. Very cool. Makes me think I would have been better served spending a decade of my life singing vocals for the Grateful Dead myself. Scratch that.... I sing like a drowning bassoon. But I still think a large portion of my life would have been better served if I did.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I had my knee replaced today. Doctor said it was bone on bone with no cartilage. Doctor said it appeared to be the result of years and years of intensive toe-tapping and boogeying.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Get well man.. I would love to make light.. but had to resist this urge. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery. knee pain does, in fact, suck ass.. as does getting old. On the bright side.. at a certain point in old-agedness.. you can start being less responsible which only accelerates when dementia hits. No matter.. get better.. go big on the rehab.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I had the audience copy since mid 80's. I fell backwards into this show, I had the WXRT version of 6/29/76 Set I and played it non stop. The Looks Like Rain followed by Mission in the Rain. I just couldn't get enough, so as we all did before Dead Base or archive I had to find the shows around this!! The Orpheum Theatre from 7/18/76 was the closest you could get after and 6/19/76 Capital Theatre in Passaic NJ was from before. Ignored 6/28/76 forever because the quality. So now every time i listen to 6/28/76 just want to shout it out from the top of the mountain!! I will never ever get tired of listening to the Eyes of the World into Happiness is Drumming!!!!! Happy weekend all, bob t
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I have a good copy of this show.. I'd be happy to share with whoever sends me a pm. Happy weekend all.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

[listen up on dead of the day and load down from midnight cafe] Dead of the Day: March 30, 1968 http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/03-30-1968 Carousel Ballroom San Francisco, California The show opens with a monstrous Morning Dew that has the boys starting off with a heavy jam that suddenly takes flight and soars with Jerry and Phil leading the way. The Other One that follows is grinding and chunky, in the best way possible, throwing off little nuggets of tastiness. Then the Dark Star goes off ambling and noodling along, sending out pings of reserved, but ever so pure, bliss into the ether, in search of something. In the mellow ending, the band seems to find what they were looking for as China Cat bursts onto the scene, spinning off psychedelic pinwheels and starbursts, dripping with Technicolor and lorded over by Jerry’s guitar and vocals. The Eleven goes off to worlds unknown, driving headlong into the farthest reaches of the universe. That last jam in the tune is so perfect it could go on forever leaving the heads dancing in the aisles, but the band transitions rather abruptly into a full-on ripping Lovelight. Coming next, Born Cross Eyed is a revelation as the Dead’s own beat boxing vocals intermix with an incredibly driving jam. Then the Spanish Jam comes out, languid and beatific before a clipped Death Don’t Have No Mercy ends the night. Lossless Bootleg Bonanza: Grateful Dead – San Francisco, CA (03/30/68) Grateful Dead 68-03-30 Carousel Ballroom San Francisco, CA Download: FLAC/MP3 https://themidnightcafe.org/2017/03/12/lossless-bootleg-bonanza-gratefu… This is a tagged version of shnid: 108994 Recording Info: SBD -> (4 Track) Master Reels -> Dat (44.1k) Transfer Info: Dat (Sony R500) -> Samplitude Professional v11.03 -> FLAC (1 Disc Audio / 1 Disc FLAC) All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller charliemiller87@earthlink.net May 30, 2010 Notes: — There is a lot of audience mixed in with this soundboard — Death Don’t Have No Mercy cuts off in the first verse — Thanks to Rob Eaton for lending me his Dats Set 1: d1t01 – Morning Dew d1t02 – That’s It For The Other One -> d1t03 – Dark Star -> d1t04 – China Cat Sunflower -> d1t05 – The Eleven -> d1t06 – Turn On Your Lovelight Set 2: d1t07 – Born Cross Eyed -> d1t08 – Spanish Jam -> d1t09 – Death Don’t Have No Mercy
user picture

Member for

8 years

....Lemieux told Billboard he likes the plan, “It gives us some rare ­structure. We know for sure that every year we’re ­going to release four Dave’s Picks, which are the ­three-CD ­complete live shows, ­quarterly. We know we’re going to do one big box set each year, whether that’s an eight-CD set or an 11-CD set, like the one we have ­coming up. This gives us one other big thing to focus on every year.”....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

Has to be a reference to bobby's pink guitar; by gosh it's an 80's box set!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

Excited that we're getting another box this year but just bc GSTL was released in the spring doesn't mean the next one will be too (right??) They still have inventory from two of the last three boxes (78 and 89) sitting on the shelf. To me it would seem odd to release a box that will push those two further down the priority list but then again maybe they don't mind. Regardless it should be fun when it comes out...really hoping for something from 68-69, though a June 76 would hit the spot as well.
user picture

Member for

8 years

Yes, I’m just waiting on the bus, and feeling the blues...
user picture

Member for

8 years

Yes, I’m just waiting on the bus, and feeling the blues...pigpen satori
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Halloween box set be great. The cost of 14 shows could scare the shit out of some people though,,,,,,but maybe a Halloween box set should do that.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years

Officially the coolest thing I have ever seen on YouTube. Thanks for sharing Vguy72
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

the pink guitar thing: perfectthe nausea reference (ew) must be related to Bobby's short shorts 80s box set. what years/tours did BW use the pink guitar? 87, 88 methinks
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....if it is a late 80's box, it better have some Cal Expo / Fabulous Forum '89 shows in it!! But right after the RFK release? I think we're running down the wrong rabbit hole.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

I think when Bolo said: "Box set I recommend buying Procter and Gamble stock. They make Pepto-Bismol. Lots of nausea forthcoming, apparently. (3/29/18, 10:16pm)" he was replying to RV3's 3/29, 9:18am post. RV3's post was calling for next Box Set info and included "...nauseatingly tired of releases from 1969-1978...". So I think Bolo is saying the next box IS from the 70s.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....going out on a far out limb here, but gambling is legal in Las Vegas. A Vegas box?!? Be still my heart....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....but worth it if I'm correct. Wasn't the final scene in Se7en set in a freakin' desert?! Fear and Loathing indeed....
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Last nights 'Loser' ripped the roof off the Spectrum. Last of 3 nights at the spectrum very good show. https://archive.org/details/gd1987-03-31.139721.sbd.miller.flac2496 Set 2 was included on Road Trips: Vol 4, Number 2: April Fool's '88 https://archive.org/details/gd1988-03-31.140328.UltraMatrix.sbd.cm.mill…
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....Jack Straw-> Franklin's Tower-> CC Rider, Ramble On Rose, Tons Of Steel, Mama Tried-> Big River, Candyman, Desolation Row, Don't Ease Me In....Looks good to me! Let's hear how it sounds!! Re; 3.31.88 Meadowlands. It's not often I fast forward during a Dead tune, but when I do, it's during that Watchtower. If that effort can make make an official release, then any take can!! (edit. trainwreck)....
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Extra greasy 7 CD release.Wait. 7 CD’s only constitutes a mini-Box. We’re due a full-size Box. Extra greasy 7 show Box. Oh yeah, that’s the stuff. PTB, please have a 1 Box order limit for the first 72 hours, and give us a (Dead) Heads up in advance of the on sale time. Please give everyone a chance to score a Box of thick-cut, smokey, extra greasy bacon.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Thanks for posting the Glendale Train, LMG. I've been on a mini NRPS kick here, mostly listening to their Veneta set in the car. Felt like it was a necessary piece of history to accompany the Sunshine Daydream release. Here's a full concert from just a few months earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZWw87UgrwI I didn't realize Garcia was actually on their first album, I knew he started it but didn't know that made it to record. I do like Buddy Cage, there was a great story of how Dylan pissed him off to get that mean pedal solo on Meet Me In The Morning on Blood on the Tracks. It worked.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Buddy Cage on BOTT, from A Simple Twist of Fate by Andy Gill & Kevin Odegard (Odegard played on the Minneapolis sessions for the album): --- Which is how, one night late in September 1974, Buddy Cage found himself alone in the vastness of A&R’s Studio A, perched over his pedal steel guitar, listening to Bob Dylan’s amazing new songs. If working with Dylan wasn’t a daunting enough prospect on its own, Buddy was further impressed to find Phil Ramone, probably the hottest producer in the country at that time, working as the engineer. “The Blood on the Tracks session was the first time I met Bob, “says Cage. “We went in there, just the three of us, and Bob says, “Where are the tunes for him, Phil?” Phil just pops it into gear and, like, sixteen, seventeen, or eighteen, somewhere in that region, masterpieces come out! I was, like, What the f***!? Dylan says, ‘Well, can you do anything? Would you like to start with one?’ I said, ‘Bob, the best thing I can do to help you is to pack up my guitar and go home.’ He said, ‘Well, thanks, man, but don’t you think you could play on one?’ then turns to Phil and says, ‘Phil, roll ‘em again.’ “Phil played ‘em over, and more in exasperation than anything, I said, ‘Maybe this one, or that one.’ I guess I did about three or four of them – but in any case, ‘Meet Me in the Morning’ was the one he kept for Blood on the Tracks. I was way out in this huge studio that could hold a full orchestra, a really large room, and I’m in the middle of it – just me, my steel, and my amp. I’d been doing sessions as long as I can remember, and the way I saw it was that Phil was going to run this thing, ‘Meet Me in the Morning’, for me and I was going to do a few takes - I usually get the best hits in the first two or three times through. An old Grateful Dead thing is never to stop recording it, and try to record more than you erase; so that was my approach: Let me do it two or three times, and you’ll have it – I’m that quick – and he can plug them in wherever he wants, the choices would be up to him and Bob. But that’s not what Dylan wanted, apparently: He ended up flashing the light time after time after time, and I found myself having to do six or seven takes.” Worse still, there was little guidance as to what was wrong with the interrupted takes. “Not only was my wrist getting tired, but there was no conversation, no instructions, no nothing,” Cage recalls, “just ‘Do it again, do it again.’ I was getting really uncomfortable. Then finally the door to the control room opened, and Dylan comes striding out, walks straight up to my steel, and sticks the toes of his cowboy boots under my pedal bar. I don’t know why he did that – maybe for emphasis. Anyway, he does that and says, ‘The first five verses is singin’ – you don’t play; the last verse is playin’ – you play!” plunks his toes out from under my pedal bar, turns, and strides back into the control room.” During the evening, the control room had begun to fill up with well-wishers and hangers-on, and as the shock over Dylan’s rudeness turned into anger at the singer’s disrespectful treatment of his instrument, the public humiliation spurred Cage to the brink of rage. “At that point, in the control room, there was him and Phil Ramone, Mick Jagger, my road manager, my crew chief, my limo driver and bodyguard, and John Hammond Sr., had come in to hear what I was doing,” says Cage, “and at that very instance, for about ten seconds, I was embarrassed to the bone marrow. But as I mentioned before, I was a punk-ass, and that just kicks in; that’s always the way it’s been with me, and I thought, ‘Well, you little f***, I’m taller than you, and you’re not gonna get away with that!’ Phil came on the phones then – he was clearly uncomfortable too – and he said, ‘You wanna practice one?’ and I said, ‘No – print it!’ “So the red light came on and I just did one take. I played lightly over the five verses, but the one where he wanted me to get major was on the verse with ‘Look at that sun, sinking like a ship.’” And get major he did. Fired up with fury, Cage peeled off a searing break that uncoiled through the song’s closing stages like an angry snake, providing a piquant counterpoint to the number’s relaxed, bluesy tone. Buddy knew he’d nailed it, and without waiting for any further intervention or possible humiliation, he stood up from his instrument with an air of brusque finality. “I had the picks and the bar off my hands and I was walking away from the guitar before the track was finished, striding into the control room,” he recalls. “When I busted into the control room, he was laughin’ his ass off! I looked at Ramone, and he was shakin’ his head, sayin’, ‘That was beautiful!’ John Hammond said, ‘Man that was unbelievable!’ I just looked at Dylan and said ‘F*** you!’ and he just laughed – he said, ‘Well, we got it!’ ---
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

In a way, the old threads are more interesting and more like an acid test than new ones regarding recently announced product, where there is a bit more continuity to the posts. My last 72 hours have been surreal. Took the family up to Keystone Wednesday night for a Thursday day of tubing/skiing. Good times. Rocked Michael Schenker later that night at Cervante's Masterpiece Ballroom, a notable Dead-themed venue. Seeing Michael in there was a bit weird but not unpleasant. Went back to work Friday, and unexpectedly became ill and barfed into the wastebasket next to my desk. No one was around, fortunately I was able to change the bag and get it outside before grossing anyone out (except you, sorry). Took the rest of the day off, went home and was basically couch-bound until it was time for Davy Knowles, which I made it through. Was just a 24-hour stomach bug, I guess, my oldest son got it about 10 hours after I did. Davy Knowles is a young guitarist/singer from the Isle of Man over yonder 'cross the pond. He is amazing; just a mind-blowing talent. See him live if you get a chance. This morning, just after breakfast I experienced a massive attack of unbearable pain in my side and abdomen. Finally the wife drove me to hospital. Kidney stone. It took three shots of Fentanyl to take the edge off along with some other drugs. Eventually, they gave in and pumped me full of Dilaudid and sent me home. Couple of hours later, I passed it rather uneventfully. And now the Doc sent me home with a couple dozen more Dilaudid. I'm one of those people who can do just about anything without becoming dependent, so I think I'll save them for later, or, God forbid another kidney stone so I can ride the storm out without the trip to the E.R. Back in the saddle, just in time for an Easter gathering tomorrow here at the casa. Feel like I just came out the other side of the rabbit hole.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

listen at dead of the day March 31, 1973 http://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/03-31-1973 Memorial Auditorium Buffalo, New York The night is tremendous from top to bottom, including everything from a perfectly rendered Box to a raging Playin’. However, the boys turn it up a notch further still in the latter portion of the second set. The He’s Gone leads the way, as the boys strut through, throwing all their emotion and verve into the playing and vocal vamping, before heading right into a boundless Truckin’. A plucky little jam after the Truckin’ - with some hints of Nobody’s Fault - provides a little change of pace. But then Billy takes us in a different direction altogether, thundering forward and powering through a segue into a monster Other One. TOO blisters out of the gate and then finds some slower, less traveled territory, summoning the bullfighters, paisanos, and flamenco of a Spanish Jam that they meld with the Other One theme for a while. Finally, TOO is left behind completely and they strike out into an extraterrestrial space, exploring distant galaxies before gathering into a bluesy country ramble that leads right to, quite unexpectedly, Rider. The Rider surges and soars, but holds on to a real bluegrassy feel throughout. After a pause, the band fires away with a full-bore Sugar Mags to put a rocking cap on the set.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

listen up at dead of the dayhttp://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/03-31-1968 load down at the midnight cafe Lossless Bootleg Bonanza: Grateful Dead – San Francisco, CA (03/31/68) 19_300a_lg Grateful Dead 68-03-31 Carousel Ballroom San Francisco, CA Download: FLAC/MP3 https://themidnightcafe.org/2017/03/21/lossless-bootleg-bonanza-gratefu… Recording Info: SBD -> (4 Track) Master Reels -> Dat (44.1k) This is a tagged version of shnid: 108995 Transfer Info: Dat (Sony R500) -> Adobe Audition v3.0 -> Samplitude Professional v11.03 -> FLAC (1 Disc Audio / 1 Disc FLAC) All Transfers and Mastering By Charlie Miller charliemiller87@earthlink.net June 13, 2010 Set 1: d1t01 – Turn On Your Lovelight d1t02 – Beat It On Down The Line d1t03 – Dancing In The Street d1t04 – Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) -> d1t05 – Feedback -> d1t06 – And We Bid You Good Night Notes: — There is a lot of audience mixed in with this soundboard — Date and song order are uncertain (I’m going with Dick’s notes on DAT) — This is the same Caution>Feedback>AWBYGN as I put on 1/22/68 (Per Dick’s notes) — Cut in the beginning of Turn On Your Lovelight — Severe mix changes during Dancing In The Street — Beginning of Caution is missing — Thanks to Rob Eaton for lending me his Dats — Thanks To Joe B. Jones for his help with the pitch correction
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 10 months

So, according to that article from Jambase, "Pinkus...confirmed a collection of 80 soundboard tapes recorded by the famed Betty Cantor-Jackson have been added to the vault." Also according to that article, "the Grateful Dead recently unveiled a 50th anniversary edition of their 1967 studio album [and] Pinkus confirms a similar set for Anthem Of The Sun is coming [in 2018]." That means a couple of things: 1) The upcoming releases will be Betty Boards, which range in date from 1971-1980 at the latest. That means there is no need to come on any thread on the Grateful Dead website and start bitching and moaning about the lack of representation of latter era Dead. You all already know that, for the foreseeable future, the embarrassment of riches known as the Betty Boards will largely be mined for releases. 2) There will be no '68 box in 2018. From a basic marketing standpoint, it makes absolutely no sense to re-release a '68 album with (most likely) '68 live material and THEN turn around and release a '68 box separately. Not going to happen. Whatever box they do release this year will be from some other year, and it's a pretty safe bet it's a year between 1971 and 1979. I say all this as someone who rarely posts but often reads the Dave's Picks threads, and who is often dismayed to see the same old complaints from the same tiny vocal minority. I"m not part of some mythical "70s mafia," I'm just telling it like it is. Please don't come on here and bum everyone out by bitching and moaning about not getting what you want. The Dead are just about the only classic rock act cranking out release after release of archival material like clockwork. We're lucky to have so much material to choose from, and in such frequent quantity. And there's always the archive site to satisfy the remainder of your listening desires.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Did somebody mention Buddy Cage? Don't even get me started.. what a talent.. amazing. I have been seeing them [NRPS] whenever I get the chance for years.. Until David Nelson broke his hip and Buddy got his blood cancer diagnosis they were playing each year in Thomas WV, sort of local to the middle of nowhere town I blissfully live in.. I even took my 79 year old dad one year. He thought it was a hoot.. but the strong smell of kind bud in the bar during set break evoked questions that were hard to dodge until the second set came to be.. reminded me a bit of getting busted doing bong hits in the basement when I was in high school all those years earlier.. but I digress.. and to my fathers defense, all is forgiven and the once staunch republican is now a bit of a liberal when it comes to pot laws, he wants it legal too.. everywhere and does not understand why they still lock people up for it.. anyway... But back to Buddy Cage (and David Nelson for that matter).. Don't get me started.. the guy smoked and will forever have my respect. Thanks Muleskinner for the mere mention and the memories evoked. David Nelson is another powerhouse.. and apparently the David Nelson Band is back up and going. David has apparently recovered from his broken or fractured hip from a year or so ago.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Right on Seth. Proves somebody here is actually paying attention.
product sku