• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

would be great to get out 2/23/74, just missed by DaP 13, just thirteen picks ago
user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Wouldn't that be fantastic? Although QRP seems to have the lock on 200g pressings and the Dead vinyl has been 180g from RTI. Either way it would be most appreciated if they cut it AAA as they did for the WB vinyl box at Grundman's. Now that sounds special. And a tip-on sleeve from Stoughton. So, how about either a 180g RTI cut AAA at BG's or....a 200g QRP cut AAA by Kevin Gray?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

David Lemieux's continued marketing of limited releases remains the most idiotic business model ever practiced by the Grateful Dead. He should retire and leave it to someone who cares more about the Deadheads. Byrd - with finger in the air
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 3 months

Dave speaks highly for the NFA>GDTRFB>NFA on Dave's Picks 26. I have to agree, it's way up there, close to rivaling what has always been my favorite NFA>GDTRFB>NFA, Oct 31, 1971 (Dick's Picks 2), which has an awesome transition from GDTR to NFA. Both shows have similar styles with loads of energy; and it has always been among their best in my opinion.
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Byrd, I couldn't agree with you more - idiocy does run rampant once again, but you're the idiot. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or even a business major to understand why the Dave's Picks business model works. I suppose you have a plan that will increase sales by a third (as Rhino has done) without leaving stock on the shelf. If you're going to bad mouth someone in their own house, at least have a valid point to make. I suppose you're complaining because you missed out. Get a subscription jackazz.
user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

I think I see at least one bearded skeleton in those balloons....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

I'm usually the one who takes heat for pointing out the real world. As for those who were surprised how fast it sold out????? You're kidding right? I was surprised the sub didn't sell out. Bolo Doors v Who split decision. For a high energy live show the early Who for a quality catalogue for listen to on the home stereo Doors hands down
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Doors subscribe sell out in minutes, not hours Dave doesn't run the whole show...he is merely the face of the Rhino juggernaut subscribe "I willllll subscribe" speaking of Doors: "true a la carte is dead" subscribe I learned the hard way, too. subscribe.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I really like the balloons... and the color scheme is nice too! Looking forward to this one, (though thanks to the good Doc, I am pretty familiar with Ann Arbor - not that hearing it again all Normanized is going to be any kind of problem.) On another note, an old head friend of mine turned me on to the April 84 Hampton shows (4/13 and 14). Both are on the shorter side, but the playing is HOT! 84 is a year I often overlook, but I am mending my ways. Peace
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

And yet I bet the bitching still abounds. 'Cause, you know, it's all so damn unfair.
user picture

Member for

6 years

i'll take the doors. the who has some certain song material that just makes me cringe, and barely contain the vomit that rises in my throat.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

I dont know, that one with the hat on in the lowest hanging balloon looks like it may have a beard. My guess is though, that the bonus disc will be covered with bearded clams - I mean skeletons!
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I took this as a clue to the upcoming Box Set contents myself.. but I can never figure Bolo out.. The Doors borrowed their name from Huxley's book The Doors of Perception about a Mescaline trip in 1954. Who opens doors? Mescaline Sulfate perhaps? The only Mescaline show I know of has already been released (5/11/78, Springfield on Dicks Picks 25). There's got to be more to this post then stirring up discussion... I bet it ties to the other two posts, '7 and bacon', 'No 14' and now this 'The Who or The Doors'??? mmmmmmmmm........ What, the bearded skeletons are back? Like the last release, I like the colors and I took a hot air balloon ride over a desert near Albuquerque at a company function, so it resonates with me...
user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

4/16/72 Get Some.
user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

Just finished it about an hour ago..
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....listening right now. Kinda in the background, but I'm listening. Cumberland just started. Boiiiiing!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hey Dave (if you read this) Any chance of releasing any of the NRPS sets when they opened for the Dead? Either with or without Garcia? Thanx.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

China Cat just started for me....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Ha interesting reaction to the who. You might not have got it from my post but I was far from as big a fan as my friends were though I did like the early days who. What songs were most shall we say puke provoking to you. I started Townsend's auto a year ago. Serious vomit material. I read a lot, have a large library I not only stopped reading halfway which I rarely do I threw it away which I never do
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Very interesting hearing from Dave their policy on bonus discs and cover somgs. Somewhat limiting
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Got to admit outside a couple of songs always hated Tommy. Quad was ok
user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

I know some of you purposely avoid listening to these, so the whole experience is brand new. So, you can skip this post, or let it tantalize you at your own risk. The sound on the 11/17 tracks is just fantastic! What a great recording by Betty or Rex, and a great mix by Mr. Norman. The band sounds really fired up. I'm more excited for this release after checking this out and the video with Dave's usual overly effusive ebullience. Looking forward to 2 Other Ones, especially with that kind of talk of Bob and Phil playing aggressively. The whole thing about covers on the bonus disc makes sense, but those 2 examples from years back are definitely not public domain, Smokestack is credited to Howlin' Wolf, and Good Lovin' is credited to Rudy Clark and Arthur Resnick, maybe Rhino heard from a lawyer or two since then. Perusing a few of the Road Trips, they have Lovelight as a fairly popular bonus disc track, Not Fade Away shows up, Hard to Handle, a Sing Me Back Home, etc. This site allows one to quickly search the tracklists: https://www.whitegum.com/bonus.htm Also, The Who are, to me, the greatest rock band of them all. The Dead are my pick as the best American rock band, and their varied setlists make engaging in such recording hoarding a much more addictive venture, though I have about all The Who live recordings and studio stuff, outtakes, the Townshend demos (which if you don't know about them, his demos of him recording at his home studio are just astounding on their own, they are fully realized tracks with a straighter, more basic drum and bass playing, and Pete singing everything, and they've been officially released in the Scoop series, well worth getting), but their is a more finite amount of releases than with the Dead. With the Dead, I get at least 4 new shows, perhaps a box or two with some cool extras. And the ever changing setlists and ways of playing songs and the explorations of the Dead have me listening at work and in the car most of the time, but I could just as easily fall down a several week rabbit hole of Who, with lots of repetition, or go off on a Duane Allman listening excursion for a month, or split time with String Cheese and Dead, but the mainstay is Dead. So, shorter answer Who over Doors. Thus ends the rant. Carry on with fervor for Dave's 26, and SUBSCRIBE in November and avoid the pains of scrambling for 200 or 300 copies.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I like both bands. Some deeper comparisons.... Robby Kreiger vs Pete Townsend Both are iconic guitar players. I think Pete Townsends strengths are with his theatrical presence, a riff master and coming from Europe, perhaps a more classical music sensibility, where Robby Kreiger comes from a background of blues, jazz, flamenco and soul. Might have to give Robby Kreiger the edge here. Keith Moon vs John Densmore Hands down, Keith Moon at his best was pretty phenominal. Sure, he had the famous incident where he got to high on pills to play, but at his best, right up there with the greatest rock drummers. Densmore is more of a finesse soft touch player, but still great. Roger Daltry vs Jim Morrison Daltry always seems like the consumate professional. Still belts it out. His lyrics tend to take themselves less seriously. Morrison the poet certainly had his merits as a lyracist and at his best, a decent vocalist, when he wasn't fried. Certainly unpredictable and by todays standards would have probably been considered bipolar. Still, both iconic. Probably give Daltry the overall props here. Entwisle vs Ray Manzarek's left hand Obviously Entwhistle, because, he was a bass player. Huge part of the Who's sound. Albums I suppose the Who has a more iconic catalogue. High production value. The Doors first three albums and LA Woman are iconic as well. Probably overall, The Who wins out for me, but I do like Waiting for the Sun and Strange Days a lot. Apples and oranges in many ways. Now if someone were to draw comparisons to Jimi Hendrix, it would be hard for me not to put him at the very top of the 60's rock and roll food chain. Electric Ladyland may be the best album by any artists from any era....ever....imho. Clapton vs Beck vs Page Jeff Beck all the way. BB King vs Freddie King vs Albert King No debate. All three are essential, especially for blues. Coltrane vs Miles At this point, why even compare?
user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...it’s in a written clause, contract. It’s all about business...Like somebody once said, ‘Money beats soul’ ;)
user picture

Member for

6 years

I don't hate The Who I didn't mean to give that impression. I just have a really hard time getting through "Fiddle About" on Tommy it grosses me the hell out. It always bothered me even when I first bought the album in 12th grade. and just recently I mean the whole line of "who is it? i'll rape it" or what not in Quadrophenia I was like what the good fuck?
user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Hey snafu, I was never much of a Tommy fan, but had an extraordinary listening experience last week after hearing Keithfan's live track. Highly recommend it. Takes the best released performances and ties it all together in one track. The not so great songs are not there. There's a link on the Dave's 25 page.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Imagine a who book around the fiddle about and you have Townsend's book. It was sick.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I dig the cocktail jazz that was the Doors at the end. Pete Townshend is an artist, he interprets subject matter and possibly as a catharsis releases it in his material. He wrote all the lyrics Roger just belted them out. New Dead, I don't usually even queue up Lemieux rambling on about all the minutiae concerning a given recording. I'll listen, and fill in the blanks myself. It goes quicker that way, I mean, does the guy seriously fire up a fat one before blathering on endlessly? Current listen: The Strange Remain, The Other Ones. The Grateful Dead never really left us, what with all the incarnations over the years. Yes, when Jerry got on the elevator it was an immeasurable loss, but the music continues.
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Not at my computer at time of ordering, I speak English, Spanish Italian and Athabaskan, (My Mothers language,,,aka Apache)...But I just couldn't understand this Dude...Hence the Phone call....CRAZY HUH !...PEACE....TOMAS....
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

I was not at my Computer Vato....And the Smart Phone wasn't smart enough to Translate from Swahili or whatever He was speaking into English....But...I FINALLY got thru to him...I believe it's on it's way....PEACE....TOMAS.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

You cannot petition the Lord with prayer. Alltime great lyric amid a very cool song. Riders on the Storm The End When the Music's Over The Crystal Ship Peace Frog The Changeling Five to One All better than anything the Who ever did. The Who were very cool live. But for the energy they delivered, not for the content. The Dead had both.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

It’s art after all so we can all agree to disagree. It’s like whose better Picasso or Van Gogh. I’ll take The Who every day of the week. I said in an earlier post that I really dig the L.A Woman album, and I do. But I agree with the sentiment posted earlier that Quadrophenia is an album that stands head and shoulders over most. Play it loud and marvel at Moon and Entwistle driving the music. Listen to the lyrics and marvel at Townshend’s description of an insecure kid’s growing pains and angst. Townshend wrote unique songs from day one. Go back and listen to the Who’s first album, My Generation, and compare it to the Stones or the Beatles at the time. Also listen to the track The Ox - I don’t know why that doesn’t seem to get credit for the first use of recorded feedback. Another classic album in the early canon is The Who Sell Out. Who else could write Mary-Ann with the Shaky Hands. Pete is a genius lyricist, composer and player. And he was accompanied by the most powerful rhythm section and a great front man. Long live The Who in the studio and live. The one downside to the Who in the studio is the missing Lifehouse album that should have followed Who’s Next and been before Quadrophenia. It’s kind of like the Dead not having a great studio album after American Beauty and instead having a bunch of awesome songs instead appear on Garcia Ace Skull and Roses and Europe 72. Listen to the extended Odds and Sods and you can hear a lot of those great Who songs that were never put on a proper album.
user picture

Member for

6 years

I had two copies of Morrison Hotel. one was a standard like 1990 edition. and the other was an expanded edition. well one day I took the standard case to a used cd store and sold it not really needing it. years later I open the expanded edition jewel case to find out for some reason the standard edition was put in the expanded edition jewel case by mistake.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

Both bands were great but very one dimensional. It is really hard to listen either band for long periods.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

I've caught wind of some of Pete Townshend's issues, but haven't paid full attention to them, as I just want to enjoy his amazing music. Nothing against the Doors; I've never really listened to them. But the Who, with two good songwriters, and everyone an ace at whatever he did? Yes.
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

"Lifehouse" wasn't intended to fall between "Who's Next" and "Quadrophenia". "Who's Next" was assembled from the remnants of "Lifehouse" after the project was abandoned. So essentially, it's "Lifehouse" condensed. And though it may only be bits and pieces of a bigger concept, it's still an amazing album. Hands down their best after "Quadrophenia".
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I give you Lifehouse: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1z9nXrpZ_5WxZfKW6pFc0YbQKXKuLXHoZ It only felt right to stick with studio versions, but truth be told, there's nothing that compares to the Isle of Wight 1970 performance of Heaven and Hell. Perhaps a bonus track one day :D P.S. - these are the best mixes of these songs. Like, Long Live Rock is the guitar mix, not the piano mix (if you're into such nuances); and Naked Eye is the original Odds 'N Sods version, not the Astley remaster where everything was all f***ed up.
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

That's pretty fucking cool. Never knew the full list and order of songs.
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

And for that brief moment, we were one...
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I have a subscription for Dave's Picks and glad I do. I have had to call about something, I ordered, and had someone on the phone that was "almost" impossible to understand. I agree with one of the people who, earlier, made a comment that you use to call the dead number and get a person who spoke....English.My nephew worked for Dell for years and said that when the company started using non-Engilish services to answer peoples questions about their computers it was the beginning of the end for Dell. Maybe it is time for us, as coustomers of Rhino, to start to complain about their phone service. I think, from the comments posted on this site, that it is VERY poor! If you have not had any issues that required a phone call consider yourself...lucky!! Mr. Pete---------> aging hippie
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Well at least I subscribe every year, I was going to get extras in hopes to sweeten trade for the new box/RSD, if I I miss out on those, the gentle sobbing and ghostly moaning you will hear on the evening wind...that's me. Im already anticipating a shit show on ordering. My baseline anxiety levels waiting for new boxes and the inevitable panic inducing ordering process grows every year. Did anyone have any ordering problems besides the fast sell-out. It would be nice if they fixed the server issues, or just put out on the Rhino site for ordering to start.
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I don't know about comparing The Who with The Doors-but both bands seemed to peak in their earlier years. The Who, to me, were far better in the 1960s than they were in the 1970s. In the 60s, there was nothing like them-and the songs they wrote were genuinely weird and transgressive. In the 1970s, they stopped being revolutionary-and started writing about being revolutionary. In the 60s they were the thing they wrote about being in the 1970s, when they just seemed to join the massive "rock" industry. High on professionalism and power and guitar solos, but lacking in inspiration. A lot of other bands were like that-great in the 60s, but a bit bloated in the 70s. You've only got to look at Pink Floyd. I'd take See Emily Play over any of their 1970s albums any day. To bring it back to The Dead, maybe they were one of the few bands around in the 60s who carried on developing in the 1970s. Maybe The Stones, too, for a couple of years.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

daverock I would agree with your statement about the Who, if you had said the change in their quality occurred after 1973; however, the Who of the 1970s produced Who's Next and Quadrophenia. The synths used on Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again were the first of its kind, not only in sound (Townshend had to "invent" the tone of the synths on WGFA through creative experimentation, eventually feeding a Lowry organ through an ARP synthesizer); but in implementation as well (nobody had really used a synthesizer to create a rhythm backing track in a song before - pioneer type stuff). For that many can be thankful :D But yeah, things grew stale after Quadrophenia. I suspect even Pete would admit by 1978, they were singing the same old song (with a few new lines) ;-)
product sku