• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Superb clip of King Crimson playing Starless and Bible Black. From the look of the line up, with the three drummers, it must be a fairly recent concert-which bodes well for my trip to see them next October. This version of Starless is a good example of how a band can revisit old material, and add new things to it. The original versions featured a much more steam lined band, with guitar, bass, drums, violin/mellotron. On the other hand-I didn't find you dissing U2 to be negative, Jim. I like reading diverse opinions on here-whether I agree with them or not. I personally like posts that stimulate discussion, and you get a range of views represented. The only posts I find negative are the ones that start personally attacking people for the views they have. Its not the actual views that come over as negative to me. The main thing is that we all respect-and if possible demonstrate that respect-to others. In the spirit of your apology, though, maybe I should follow up my earlier post by saying that when I dissed Jerry's digital manipulation of his guitar sound from about 1989 onwards-I wasn't dissing people who like it-many of whom write informative and stimulating posts on here. We can't all like everything, and to me, there's nothing negative in saying what you don't like, as well as what you do like.
user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

Thanks, Jim for posting the url for the full boat version of one of the great crossover tunes in jazz/bues, Mingus tribute to Lester Young. Hope you get to see JB play it live, here he makes it sing with an early edition of the stratocaster Fender developed with him, guitar fans note the Wilkinson nut and primitive aftermarket heel contour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ej3BdMpgZw he can play bass too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDgkbLw4qkw GPPH interpreted by John McLaughlin (My Goals Beyond and elsewhere) is wonderful as well
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I was poised for the best second set ever at the show last night, and then the lightning came... I still can't believe this happened. After 45 minutes we left; clearly the band was not coming back. It was torrential downpour and flooding on the way to the car. I stepped through 6 to 8 in of water more than once, but it didn't matter, the rain was coming down in torrents, so we're already wet.
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I love Dead & Co. The sound of the cd's from Nugs.net are outstanding, so crisp and beautifully mixed, consistently every night. I have about 30 Dead & Co. shows that I put on shuffle and jam just like the Grateful Dead. I listen to the actual Grateful Dead way more than Dead & Co., but Jeff and Oteil and John, along with the three core, original members are absolutely providing a continuation of the legacy and are very much keeping this music alive. Dead & Co. are no more a cover band than when the GOGD went from Pig to Keith, from Keith to Brent, or Brent to Vince and Bruce, etc. Hey, Jerry did change his sound and that didn't make them a cover band then, either. I like certain songs by U2. I trend toward the guitar/bass/drums songs more than the electronic stuff, but there's no denying U2 have compiled a very impressive body of work, have had a great career, and Bono has championed a number of very important causes over the years. He has absolutely tried, and succeeded at using his platform to elevate folks, and I admire at how he gives back, given his massive wealth and success. There is absolutely no love for rap music, hip-hop, whatever here. I do not like the sound, the often angry attitude behind the delivery. I don't think there is much of a message other than, here's my gold chain and my weed and my rims on my car, and I'm flaunting my money and hanging around trying to be like the Kardashians. I don't think it provides much of a positive message to kids, other than, get a lot of bling and worship materialism. That whole scene is just a total turn-off. There is a centuries old tradition around the world of musicians playing instruments, and that's how I like my music, the human element expressed through so-called "real" instruments. Computerized noise, angry ranting and drum machines are just total bullshit. I don't have a problem with this, I accept that that's where things are at now, and I don't begrudge anyone their right to listen to and appreciate what they like, whether it's Black Sabbath, Taylor Swift or Kanye West. Go have fun.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I can only imagine... I am sorry for you and the fans. I have zero interest in D&C (imnsho, it's for the next generation), but if I had been there, and then it got _rained out_... "nothing left to do but frown, frown, frown" sounds apt
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

at least the rain isn't torrential except for once or twice a year Pittsburgh '95 RAIN N Carolina 1997 RAIN and HHEEAATT Baltimore 2007 4th of July HEAVY RAIN I have read stories in compendia etc about heavy rains at east shows
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

One of two 77 shows with no soundboard... check out the second set starting with Estimated!!! Haven't listened to this show in a while.. have a good weekend... bob t
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Finally back from the royal wedding - only a couple weeks late. Needless to say, there was an "incident" with the queen and a couple of her Corgis that MI5 did not look kindly upon, so they decided to detain me and DD for awhile. He got the worst of it - I'm not sure if he'll ever recover. They strapped him to a splintery chair (naked, mind you), taped his eyelids open and forced him to watch this for 10 straight days, 24/7. Poor SOB...
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

The only remedy is a new Box Set announcement......
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

The same thing happened to me the last time I was in London.. except it was William Shatner's Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds. To this day I twitch uncontrollably and vomit every time I hear that song. That's hysterical..
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

Anyone think the year might be 1979? Other than the 30 Trips show, the last official release from 1979 that I can think of is RT Vol. 3 #1 (12/28/79 w/the bonus material from 12/30/79). The release date was 11/10/09 according to Wikipedia. In all honesty I can't remember how the RT series were released. The 14th(?) installment in the download series were 2 shows from 11/79 at the Phila. Spectrum, but haven't been available for some time. Not 1 of the 26 DaPs is from that year even though most are from the 70s. A 1979 box might satisfy both camps: the 70s die-hards and the Brentheads, even though it's very early in Brent's tenure with the band.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

GD retired the name after Jerry died. The Fare Thee Well concerts were not marketed as Grateful Dead shows, but as tributes to the Grateful Dead.
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

So a week or two ago I posted an almost identical comment on rap/hip hop. In a backhanded comment that may or may not have been directed at me, those not liking rap were cast as ignorant. Not sure whether I should thank you or sue you for plagiarism. Either way, your comments were spot on. Lots of talk about D&C being a cover band. Who cares. If you like it, go see them. But, make no mistake. The Grateful Dead were all about Garcia. Even in the end, all band members deferred to him. You could see it on stage at every show. If you think otherwise, you were simply not paying attention. Any member could be replaced, except Garcia. And they all knew it.
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

"But, make no mistake. The Grateful Dead were all about Garcia. Even in the end, all band members deferred to him. You could see it on stage at every show. If you think otherwise, you were simply not paying attention. Any member could be replaced, except Garcia. And they all knew it." Hear, hear. Perfectly articulated, irrefutably true.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

To me the Dead were very much based on the interaction between Jerry and the other members of the band. The others seemed to come into focus, and drop into the background as the years passed-1968-1969 a lot of jams were based on the dynamic between Phil and Jerry, with the powerhouse drumming of Bill and Mickey. Phil remained present on the early 70s, but Bob and Keith asserted themselves more, and Bill developed his own style after Mickey had left. It changed again, constantly-but the central, defining presence was surely always Jerry. I haven't followed the music of Dead and Co etc since Jerry died. But if they played in this country I would probably go. I saw a band fronted by Bob Weir in about 2002, and one by Phil-I think he had his sons in the band with him in about 2015. I enjoyed them both hugely. The Phil band-Terrapin Truckin?-played Viola Lee Blues, and Help-Slipknot-Franklins, and it was a great night out. But it wasn't the Dead by a long shot. More a recreation. Unkle Sam referenced the Mickey Hart band recently. I bought "Mysterium Tremendum" a year or so ago-superb, experimental and open ended music. Maybe this is more in the spirit of the original Dead than the bands Bob and Phil put together.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I'd be happy with a box from 1979. I'd prefer 1969 - but I have enjoyed all the 1979 shows that have been officially released, and would welcome more from this year. One thing, I noticed about your post, though, Dave. I have just had a check, and the Road Trips that featured 28th December had excerpts from 30th December 1979 on the bonus disc-not the 26th. The 26th was Dicks Picks 5. The only official I haven't got is the one that was released on vinyl as a Record Store Day release. I forget which one it was. I have been very tempted, as I have been buying up other Dead releases on vinyl this year-and have loved them all. But that one from 1979 seems to be a bit lacklustre from what everyone says. In fact I don't think I've read a single positive review.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Not sure if this is gonna work. My buddy in Jersey sees a lot of bands, sent me this newsletter he gets. I'm gonna attempt a cut and paste, it's a long newsletter so only if you live in Jersey will it be of some interest. FYI - We go to see the blues band Kelley, Ellis & Flynn when we get the chance. They are very good - you should check them out if you get the chance. Their drummer, Jim "Jamo" Flynn, sends out a weekly news letter "JAMO's Jams & Gigs" with a list of music events happening in our NJ/PA area. I'm forwarding you the latest copy. Send Jim an email to get on his list if you are interested. Eric +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Bring a friend out to a live music venue this week! Welcome To JAMO'S Jams & Gigs for 5/30/2018, issue #515! It's time to send me your June schedules! For all newbies - this is a free newsletter that lists gigs and jams in NJ and PA, within about 50 miles of the Clinton-Easton area. You are welcome to share it and join the list - your emails are NEVER shared with anyone. Support live music - page down for NJ and PA gigs & Jams! Words for the week - Make an effort to bring a non-musician out to hear some live music. We need more audiences everywhere! PLEASE POST THIS TO YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE - THANKS!! https://www.facebook.com/jamosjamsandgigs/ GIGS IN NJ: Thursday, 5/31: * Ted Lyons hosts The Honky Tonk Roadhouse every Thursday from 6 am - 9am on WDVR (89.7fm, 90.5 fm, 91.9fm, and streaming at www.wdvrfm.org) * Walter Bibinger will be a guest On Homegrown Radio's, "The Radio Kiosk,with Kate" for the 12pm-1pm hour paying a musical Tribute to the late pianist/composer/producer Bob Dorough. * PJ Parker and Lee Tomboulian are at the Cozy Cupboard in Convent Station from 6:30-9:30. * Vin Mott's Rhythm & Blues Band is at the Great Notch Inn in Little Falls at 9. Friday, 6/1: * The Bob Lanza Blues Band is at the Pattenburg House at 8. * Whiskey Mansion is at the Rock Creek Tavern in Phillipsburg from 8-12. Saturday, 6/2: * I'm with the Homewreckers at the Top O the Hill Tavern in Bridgewater at 9. * Vin Mott's R&B Band is at Tierney's Tavern Fest in Montclair at 2 pm, and again Ruthie's in Montclair from 7-9. * Dutch & Roman are at the Rathskeller in Frenchtown at 9. * The Black Cross Band is at the Pattenburg House from 8-12. * The Crossfire Rock & Blues Band is at the Blue Moon in South Amboy from 9-12. * The Rodeo Gypsies Quartet is at the Publick House in Chester from 7-10:30. * The Intoxitunes are at Rolf's in Warren at 9. * The Little Raymond Band is at Hailey's Harp Pub in Metuchen at 9. Sunday, 6/3: * The Bluz Hounds are at the Asbury Coffee Mill in Asbury at 11 am. * Andy Lackow & Mess Around are at the Fort Lee Arts Festival from 1:30-2:30 pm. * Vin Mott's Rhythm & Blues Band is at Aquamania Patrick's Pub in Hopatcong at 4:30. Thursday, 6/7: * Ted Lyons hosts The Honky Tonk Roadhouse every Thursday from 6 am - 9am on WDVR (89.7fm, 90.5 fm, 91.9fm, and streaming at www.wdvrfm.org) * Friday, 6/8: * I'm with Kelley, Ellis & Flynn at the Pattenburg House at 8. * Naked Jake is at Flynn's in Phillipsburg. * The Michael Geiter Band is at the Drought House in Washington at 8. Saturday, 6/9: * I'm with Kelley, Ellis & Flynn at the Clinton Elks Music Festival from 6-7. Other bands include the Craig Sailer Project, Venture To Zen, Jewels Among Thieves, and 90 Proof. Music starts at 3. * The Black Cross Band is at Kerwin's in Dunellen. * Lost In Place is at the Beneduce Vineyards. * Mamas Stew is at the Top O the Hill Tavern in Bridgewater at 9. * The Bob Lanza Blues Band is at the Somerville outdoor concert series on Division Street at 6. * Jewels Among Thieves is at the Clinton Elks Music Fest in Pittstown from 4:30-7:30. * Walt Bibinger is with Tom DiCarlo on bass and Bill Goodwin on drums at Parkfest, a rain or shine festival at Breadlock in Stewartsville from11am-1pm. Sunday, 6/10: * The Clinton Elks Music Festival starts at 3, featuring The Darren Demarco Band, Phido, The Black Cross Band, and the Honey Badgers. Thursday, 6/14: * Ted Lyons hosts The Honky Tonk Roadhouse every Thursday from 6 am - 9am on WDVR (89.7fm, 90.5 fm, 91.9fm, and streaming at www.wdvrfm.org) * Inch & The Echoes are at Shappell Park in Phillipsburg from 6-9. Friday, 6/15: * I'm with Kelley, Ellis & Flynn at the Black Horse Inn in Mendham at 8:30. * Mary Albani is at the Westbrook Tavern in Bound Brook from 5:30-8. * The Fat Daddies are at The Pattenburg House from 8-12. Saturday, 6/16: * I'm with Kelley, Ellis & Flynn at the Office in Montclair at 9. * Invited Guest is at the Top O the Hill Tavern in Bridgewater at 9. * Joe Mama is at the Pattenburg House from 8-12. Sunday, 6/17: * The Bob Lanza Blues Band is at the Alba Vineyard in Milford from 1-4. Thursday, 6/21: * Ted Lyons hosts The Honky Tonk Roadhouse every Thursday from 6 am - 9am on WDVR (89.7fm, 90.5 fm, 91.9fm, and streaming at www.wdvrfm.org) * The Swingtime Dolls and Truth & Soul are at Shappell Park in Phillipsburg from 6-9. Friday, 6/22: * The Bob Lanza Blues Band is at Ruthie's BBQ in Montclair at 7. * The Wooden Ships Band is at Artie's in Frenchtown from 9-12. Saturday, 6/23: * Just Cruisin is at the Top O the Hill Tavern in Bridgewater at 9. * Section 8 is at Roxy & Duke's in Dunellen from 7pm - 2 am. * Ted Lyons hosts The Honky Tonk Roadhouse every Thursday from 6 am - 9am on WDVR (89.7fm, 90.5 fm, 91.9fm, and streaming at www.wdvrfm.org) Thursday, 6/14: * Crazy Hearts is at Shappell Park in Phillipsburg from 6-9. * The Wooden Ships Band is at the Brass Rail in Phillipsburg from 9-12. Wednesday, 6/27: * Walt Bibinger is with with singer/songwriter/guitarist Dennis D'Amico at the Pattenburg House from 7-10pm. Friday, 6/29: * I'm with Big Bone Daddy at Donaldson Farms in Hackettstown from 6-9. Saturday, 6/30: * Rob Trout and the Flounders are at the Top O the Hill Tavern in Bridgewater at 9. * Kinderhook is at the Pattenburg House from 8-12. * Ted Lyons hosts The Honky Tonk Roadhouse every Thursday from 6 am - 9am on WDVR (89.7fm, 90.5 fm, 91.9fm, and streaming at www.wdvrfm.org) Thursday, 7/12: * A Few Good Men is at Shappell Park in Phillipsburg from 6-9. * The Little Raymond Band is at the Black Horse Pub in Metuchen at 8. ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫ GIGS IN PA: Thursday, 5/31: * Ted Lyons hosts The Honky Tonk Roadhouse every Thursday from 6 am - 9am on WDVR (89.7fm, 90.5 fm, 91.9fm, and streaming at www.wdvrfm.org) * George Hrab is at the Sun Inn Courtyard in Bethlehem. * The Funky Dawgs Brass Band is at the Levitt Pavilion at the Steel Stacks in Bethlehem. * KATO is at Christopher's at the Knights Of Columbus in Allentown from 7-10. Friday, 6/1: * Alias is at the Coplay Saengerbund. * The Groove Merchants are at the Catasauqua Park from 7-10. * Paul Thorn and the Blind Boys of Alabama are at the Levitt Pavilion at the Steel Stacks in Bethlehem. * Walter Bibinger and vocalist Michele Bautier are at Black & Blue in Easton from 8:00-11:00. Saturday, 6/2: * Wicked Beaver is at the Trum Tavern from 9:30-1:30. * Naked Jake is at Jeff's Club in Bethlehem. * The Southbound Band is at the Overlook in Portland on rt. 611 from 5-9. * Walt Bibinger is solo at Muellers General Store & Kitchen from 6-8pm. Weather permitting. * The Allan Meyerson Jazz Quartet is at the Lafayette Bar in Easton from 9:30-12:30. * Fraser-Thomas is at Stefano's Sicilian Grille in Northampton from 7-10. Sunday, 6/3: * Walt Bibinger is with vocalist Michele Bautier at the Deer Head Inn from 5-8pm. * Tower Suite is at Meuser Park in Easton from 6-8. Wednesday, 6/6: * The Music Of Allen & Dieruff is at the PPL Plaza in Allentown. * James Supra is at the Steel Pub in Bethlehem from 7-10. * KATO is at the Lehigh Valley Active Life Dance in Allentown from 1-4. Thursday, 6/7: * Ted Lyons hosts The Honky Tonk Roadhouse every Thursday from 6 am - 9am on WDVR (89.7fm, 90.5 fm, 91.9fm, and streaming at www.wdvrfm.org) * Dutch & Roman are at the Bethlehem Farmer's Market at noon. * The Trouble City All Stars are at the Sun Inn Courtyard in Bethlehem. Friday, 6/8: * I'm with Big Bone Daddy at Porter's Pub in Easton. * Wooden Ships is at the Lakeside in Saylorsburg at 9. * The Aardvarks are at the Coplay Saengerbund - $5 cover. * Common Bond is at the Catasauqua Park from 7-10. * The Wooden Ships Band is at the Lakeside in Saylorsburg from 9-12. Saturday, 6/9: * Allentown Blues & Barbeque in Allentown - check out the picture on the right. * Crazy Hearts is at Hammerhead in Northampton from 3-6. * Hannah Gill & The Hours are at the Levitt Pavilion at the Steel Stacks in Bethlehem. * Charlie Brown's Notorious Groove is at the Hill To Hill Grill Grill at the Comfort Suites from 8-12. * June Thomas is solo at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Wilkes-Barre from 8:30-11:30. Sunday, 6/10: * Walt Bibinger is with George Torella on Percussion at the Bayou Bethlehem Jazz Brunch 11am-2pm. 702 Hawthorne Road Bethlehem,PA 610-419-6669 Wednesday, 6/13: * Tony Gairo & Lou Lanza are at the PPL Plaza in Allentown. * The Norm is at the Steel Pub in Bethlehem from 7-10. Thursday, 6/14: * Ted Lyons hosts The Honky Tonk Roadhouse every Thursday from 6 am - 9am on WDVR (89.7fm, 90.5 fm, 91.9fm, and streaming at www.wdvrfm.org) * The James Supra/Sarah Ayers Band is at the Sun Inn Courtyard in Bethlehem. * Lou Pompilio is at the Plumsteadville Inn. Friday, 6/15: * Grooveitude is at the Catasauqua Park from 7-10. * KATO is at Louie's Restaurant in Allentown from 7-10. * The Smith Compound Band is at the Coplay Saengerbund. * June Thomas is solo at the Spring House Tavern in Lower Gwynnedd from 7-9. Saturday, 6/16: * Dutch & Roman are at the Naceville Hotel in Sellersville. * Wicked Beaver is at Jabber Jaws. * Rob Fraser is with the Mississippi Pig Farmers at the New Jerusalem Inn from 9-12. Sunday, 6/17: * The Southern Avenue Band is at the Levitt Pavilion at the Steel Stacks in Bethlehem. * Walt Bibinger is with Vocalist Michele Bautier at the Church of the MountainConcert from 6-7:30pm. Main St. Delaware Water Gap, Pa FREE. Wednesday, 6/20: * Lazy Dogma is at the PPL Plaza in Allentown. * Alias is at the Steel Pub in Bethlehem from 7-10. Thursday, 6/21: * Ted Lyons hosts The Honky Tonk Roadhouse every Thursday from 6 am - 9am on WDVR (89.7fm, 90.5 fm, 91.9fm, and streaming at www.wdvrfm.org) * The Nancy Coletti Trio is at the Hotel Bethlehem from 6:30-9:30. * Sunshine Symphony is at the Sun Inn Courtyard in Bethlehem. Friday, 6/22: * Steel Creek is at the Catasauqua Park from 7-10. * KATO is at at Ye Olde Spring Valley Tavern in Bethlehem from 8-11. Saturday, 6/23: * Wicked Beaver is at the Riders Resort. * Naked Jake is at Dubbs in Easton. * Brother JT, the Dave Goddess Group, Ronnie Rock & the Trendsetters, Psychic Warriors, Glue Factory, Wormwood Scrubs, and Big Handsome are at the Alternative Gallery in Allentown. $10, music starts at 5. Wednesday, 6/27 * Real West is at the PPL Plaza in Allentown. * Triple Dog Dare is at the Steel Pub in Bethlehem from 7-10. * Girl Crue is at the Sun Inn Courtyard in Bethlehem. Thursday, 6/28: * Ted Lyons hosts The Honky Tonk Roadhouse every Thursday from 6 am - 9am on WDVR (89.7fm, 90.5 fm, 91.9fm, and streaming at www.wdvrfm.org) Friday, 6/29: * The Carribean Steel Rhythm Band is at the Catasauqua Park from 7-10. * June Thomas is solo at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Wilkes-Barre from 8:30-11:30. Saturday, 6/30: * The Pokey LaFarge Band is at the Levitt Pavilion at the Steel Stacks in Bethlehem. * Craig Kastelnik is solo at the Mohegan Sun Casino in Wilkes-Barre from 8:30-11:30. ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫ JAMS IN NJ: Every Monday: Jam from 9-1 at the Great Notch Inn in Little Falls hosted by Dean Shot. Every Tuesday: Open Mic at the Ship Inn in Milford at 8:30. Every Tuesday: Jam at the Stanhope House at 8, new host. Every Tuesday: Jam at SuzyQue's BBQ in West Orange hosted by Andy Lackow. Every Wednesday: There's a Bluegrass jam at the Dragonfly Music & Coffee Cafe In Somerville. Every Wednesday: Acoustic Open Mic from 8-11, Hosted by Mark Mayer at The New Westbrook Tavern in Bound Brook. Every Wednesday: There's a jam at the American Spirits Roadhouse at 8 hosted by John Cannavo. Backline provided. Every Wednesday: There's a jam at Maggie Murray's in Dunellen hosted by Bob Lanza starting in September. Every Thursday: Jam at The General Saloon in Old Bridge Blues Jam hosted by Bob DelRosso. Every Thursday: Open Mic Night at the Dragonfly Music & Coffee Cafe in Somerville from 7-10. Every Thursday: Jam at the Blue Moon in South Amboy hosted by Ted Lambert at 8. Every Sunday: The Somerset Jazz Consortium hosts a jam at Maggy Murray's in Dunellen from 1-5pm. JAMS IN PA: Every Monday: A jam at Roccanova's in Stroudsburg hosted by Tony Diecidue at 7. Every Monday: A New open mic at Hava Java in Allentown from 7-11. $2 cover, $3 minimum purchase. Every 3rd Monday: Earl Andrews hosts a jam at the Whitehall Public Library from 6:30-8:30. Every other Monday: Jam at the Funhouse in Bethlehem from 10-1. Drums, Bass amp, 1 guitar amp provided. Bring your axe & rig. Every Tuesday: Open mic/karaoke at the Bowers Hotel hosted by Phil Stahl at 7:00. Every Tuesday: The Jetport Open Mic starts at 5:30. Broadcast live on internet radio at www.rockingthevalley.com Every Tuesday: from 9-12 am at the Essence Hookah Lounge in Bethlehem - all genre friendly. 18+. Hosted by Tim Harakal and Zach Jones. Every Tuesday: Paul Boddy and the SlideWinder Blues Band hosts the BLUES JAM at PUCK's on TUESDAY nite.. 8-11 or 12 Every Tuesday: Rocking the Valley hosts Meet the Bands from 7-8pm and Afterhours - 8-9 PM at the Blue Monkey in Catasauqua. rockingthevalley@yahoo.com Every Last Tuesday: Jazz & Blues Jam at the Washington House in Sellersville hosted by ROMAN. Every Other Tuesday: Jam at the Quality Inn in Stroudsburg from 8-11. Every Other Tuesday: Jam at the Shanty on 19th at 8:30 in Allentown, hosted by Dana Gaynor and Friends. Every Other Wednesday: JAZZ JAM with Joe Mixon, Steve Rosati and Lorenzo from 7-10 at the Artisan Wine and Cheese Cellars which is located in the same complex as the Wooden Match. Every 1st, 3rd, & 5th Wednesday: Phil Stahl runs an open mic at the Bally Hotel at 7:30 - 1st act of night 10 song set for WPFS net radio show. Every 2nd and 4th Wednesday: The Bluberry Jam is at Rival's in Easton from 7-10. Every Wednesday: Mitch Shelly & Andy Killcoyne host The Hot Acoustic Jam at The Riegelsville Inn at 7:30pm Every Wednesday: Jam at the Leather Corner Post from 8-11 alternately hosted by Dana Gaynor and the American Street Band. Every Wednesday: Tim Harakal hosts an open mic at the Blue Monkey Sports Bar in Catasauqua from 7-10. Every Wednesday: Acoustic Open Mic at Bonnie & Clyde's in Lehighton at 6:30. Hosted by Mike Stanley and Phil Stahl. Every Wednesday: Jam at the Shanty on 19th in Allentown at 8, hosted by Jake Kaligis & Friends. Every Wednesday: Open jam at the Jetport in Allentown from 8-11. Every Wednesday: Lenny G & the Soulsendershost an open mic at the Raven's Nest in Quakertown at 8. Every Thursday: The jam at the Wooden Match - run by Cannavo/Siftar/Walter at 8. Every Thursday: Billy Bauer hosts an singer/songwriter/acoustic open mic at Arts Quest. Every other Thursday: Dana Gaynor and the American Street Band alternate as hosts at a jam at the Leather Corner Post at 8. Every Thursday: Phil Stahl runs an open mic at the Krumsville at 9pm. No backline just pa system plain old open mic. Every Thursday: A New open mic at Hava Java in Allentown from 7-11. $2 cover, $3 minimum purchase. Every Thursday: Acoustic Open Mic at Hardball Cider in Bethlehem at 6:30, hosted by Will Kiss. Last Friday of every month: Phil Stahl runs an open mic at the Mansion House of Summit Hill from 7-10. Every other Friday: Jam at Stemie's hosted by The Big Wahu from 6-9. Starts 10/23. 1st & 3rd Saturday of every month: Phil Stahl runs an open mic at the Wingman Bar & Grill in East Greenville at 7:30. ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫ My gig schedule * Many have asked, so I'm adding my personal schedule here. * Saturday, 6/2: I'm with the Homewreckers at the Top O Th Hill in Bridgewater at 9. * Friday, 6/8: I'm with Kelley, Ellis & Flynn at the Pattenburg House at 8. * Saturday, 6/9: I'm with Kelley, Ellis & Flynn at the Clinton Elks Music Festival from 6-7 pm. * Friday, 6/15: I'm with Kelley, Ellis & Flynn at the Black Horse Inn in Mendham at 8:30. * Saturday, 6/16: I'm with Kelley, Ellis & Flynn at the Office in Montclair from 9-12. * Friday, 6/29: I'm with Big Bone Daddy at Donaldson Farms in Hackettstown from 6-9. * Saturday, 7/14: I'm with Big Bone Daddy at the Sarah Street Grill in Stroudsburg PA from 8:30-11:30. * Friday, 7/20: I'm with the Bob Delrosso Band at the Crossroads in Garwood. * Friday, 7/27: I'm with Big Bone Daddy at 8:00 at Jamageddon at the American Spirits Roadhouse, and again with the Bob Delrosso Band at 10:30. * Saturday, 8/4: I'm with Big Bone Daddy at the Kleinfest for a private show. * Sunday, 8/4: I'm with Big Bone Daddy on the Liederplatz Stage for Musikfest in Bethlehem, PA from 9-11. * Sunday, 8/5: I'm with Big Bone Daddy at the Mady's Snow Day benefit at Barley Creek Park in Tannersville PA. * Saturday, 8/11: I'm with Big Bone Daddy from 3-4 at the Operation Chillout Benefit at Vasa Park in Budd Lake, NJ. * Friday, 8/31: I'm with Kelley, Ellis & Flynn at the Pattenburg House at 8. * Friday, 10/5: I'm with Big Bone Daddy at Chicago/Club Gravity in Allentown. SUBSCRIBE to the newsletter HERE!!!! ********************************************************************* LOCAL CDs: * Dutch's Basement Blues Band has a new CD out called "In The Basement" Get it here: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/dutchsbasementbluesband * Snakeman Runyan has a new CD out - $15- you can get it from him at 44 School Road, Whitehouse Station NJ, 08889, or contact him on Facebook. * My friend Joe Cirotti has a new CD out called "RERUNS", and it's available on Bandcamp, iTunes, and more. * TED LYONS has a new CD - "Songs From The River"!!! It is on Amazon, CD Baby, Spotify, iTunes * The Bob Lanza Blues Band: "Time To Let Go" - available on CD Baby, iTunes and Amazon. * Chip Mergott has another brand new release out now called I Can't Stop Myself. (See the picture below). It's available on CDBaby. Click here: http://cdbaby.com/cd/chipmergott14 Demo videos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heoPCPSfUw8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buWF3aGSE9o * Rob Wortzel has a new CD out - it's called "Lucky Man", and you can get a copy at cdbaby.com/robwortzel/ ******************************************************************************** LOCAL MUSIC NEWS: * From Walt Bibinger: Here is a link to a YouTube slideshow video for Kathy Phillips "Forever With You", which is the lead off track from her 2017 release "Soul Catcher". The cd is available at CDBaby and kathyphillips.com, where you can preview tracks, download individual songs or the whole cd, and/or purchase a hard copy cd. It is an honor to have co-written and produced this music with Kathy. Legendary drummer/producer Bill Goodwin joins us on this track.Info and credits are listed on the video. https://youtu.be/Gm0RafzkMXE Also, here's a link to "Nardis" on my solo guitar CD: https://youtu.be/CQk17fhfqQc * Rocking the Valley is live on Tuesday night - 7 PM to 8:30 PM and is currently taking applicants for musicians. Tuesday Night has Meet the Bands (with local variety musicians) and Afterhours (promoting Heavy Rock). The show airs at 7 PM on both Rocking the Valley's website and on Facebook streaming video. Earl Andrews First Sunday at Hava Java Blues Jam and Third Monday at the Whitehall Township Public Library is still going strong and in it's forth year. Benny's Blues Jam from Grumpy's is every other Thursday. Coming in May is Savor the Valley with Ron Colman and Colin Gregory; The Easton Irregular LIVE; Moon's Corner Returns; Bev Conklin's Blues Jam returns to Rocking the Valley; and in development is Bill Medei and Stephen Christopher - "You've gotta be kidding me". All on Rocking the Valley - www.rockingthevalley.com or Facebook www.facebook.com/rockinthevalleysjkr. * Here's a message from my good friend Chip Mergott about his Christmas music: "Hi Friends, I've missed "Small Business Friday," Cyber Monday," and all the other commercial stimuli, but here, in one location, is all my Christmas music. I m most happy about this remix of "Carol of the Bells," with a bigger, more resonant sound. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/carol-bells-remix-single/id1065744444 The "Silent Night" guitar album (which is out of print for the second time) is available here on iTunes. I love hearing from people all around the world about they love it- and I'm very gratified that many have called it their favorite Christmas album. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/silent-night/id152283642 My keyboard Christmas album is a companion piece in many ways- and way less popular. You can listen to samples here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/o-holy-night/id336084738 Additionally, I'd be happy to sign a copy of my book.You don't even have to send the money ($20.) until after you get the book- I trust you. http://www.1hourguitar.com/ Blessings to all, Chip. * Internet Radio: The Backroom Blues Hour New Playlist at 11:00PM EST: Blues music by KickBend, From Jersey Shore The The Red Bank Blues Band (RB3), From St Louis OddsLane, Lehigh Valley Pennsylvania Blues Band Big Bone Daddy, Mia Moravis with The Trevor Sewell Band, Alvin Madison, Lisa Coppola Billy Hamilton & The Low Riders, Mike Daly & The Planets, Miss Laura Ann & The SaddleTones, From San Francisco Blind Lemon Pledge, Paula Boggs Band, Jeanne Lozier, and of course some Plainfield Slim Blues mixed in the middle for your listeners out there. TUNE in Every Monday at 5PM and Thursday 11PM www.newvisionsradio.com * DICKCRAIGSROCKNROLL.com still airing all types of musical entertainment from local to national interests in groups, clubs, festivals, etc. Give them a click ! * More radio news! WDIY 88.1 FM broadcasts from Godfrey Daniels' in Bethlehem every Tuesday night from 7-9. * We've made changes to the website at www.bigbonedaddy.com check them out here! * Ok - want to learn to play guitar? Here's a book review by none other than Elliot Randal (Reelin' In The Years"): "This is the best primer for guitar I have ever read. It has everything an introduction to guitar should have: a clear, knowledgeable and friendly author,who imparts invaluable information (both commonsensical and musical), and the follow-through - it presents the reader/student with fun musical challenges that will surely infuse a sense of excitement and achievement. Well done, Chip. All the best, Elliott" The book is written by Chip Mergott, and it is called "How to Play the Guitar in One Hour". It is available here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014WZX7MG/ref=r_soa_w_d * So many of my friends are writing books - I feel like a piker! I have a ton of stories, if you want to help me write mine.... I'll see you at the gig! JAMO News flash: I'm looking to increase the readership - PLEASE SHARE THIS ON FACEBOOK, ETC. IF YOU KNOW A BAND OR A BUSINESS WHO WOULD LIKE TO ADVERTISE HERE, PLEASE CONTACT JAMO! For new subscribers, here's a heads up on the Jamo's Jams & Gigs newsletter: * This is a free newsletter that I do by myself. It is intended to keep live music alive. * I NEVER give out any email addresses. * I make every effort to include whatever info that is sent to me, but I try to keep it short and readable. (I usually miss my own gigs!) * I try to get it out every week on Wednesday, and it covers enough time in advance so that you can plan. * I generally cover the area about 50 miles centered around Easton. If you have any live music news, like a CD release, a road trip, new band members, or anything that you would like readers to hear about, please give me a shout! Your news will help to make this newsletter more interesting. Share Tweet Forward
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Hope someone finds that info useful.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Seems the comments are dead in the 45 section. Don't know how many bought the 45 collections, but the latest cover art was very nice. I'd post, but don't know how. Some will be sad, it had skeletons (but no beards!).
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

The latest cover is nicely executed, but does not reflect the look and feel of the time period the original came out of. The Ripple artwork looks expecially morbid to me, not what the song is about. The skeleton theme is way overdone by now, my opinion of course!Other side kinda' reminds me of the first Madness LP :-)
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Just for FYI, caught Simon in Dallas on Friday. Nice show, here's setlist 1. America 2. 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover 3. The Boy in the Bubble 4. Dazzling Blue 5. That Was Your Mother 6. Rewrite 7. Mother and Child Reunion 8. Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard 9. Rene and Georgette Magritte With Their Dog After the War 10. Can't Run But 11. Wristband 12. Spirit Voices 13. The Obvious Child 14. Questions for the Angels 15. The Cool, Cool River 16. Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes 17. You Can Call Me Al Encore: 18. Kodachrome 19. Gumboots 20. Still Crazy After All These Years Encore 2: 21. Homeward Bound 22. Graceland 23. The Boxer 24. Late in the Evening 25. American Tune 26. The Sound of Silence
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

A quick scan showed you were most correct regarding bonus material from RT 3.1 - when I was looking thru my Dead catalogue to see when the last release was, DP5 was the leader until I remembered the RT series came later. Thanks for the correction.While I wouldn't mind a '79 box, I find it odd that it's almost 10 years (discounting the download series) since there's been a '79 release. Granted, there might not be enough quality shows for a box set due to the absence of master tapes or sub-par performances, since Brent was new to the band. In any case the announcement should come soon. Edit: '79 download would have been #14 I believe.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Denis.... Dude, sorry but that's the most obnoxious post ever - I feel like the mailman just threw the yellow pages book (for the wrong town) and hit me in the head. I think people know how to use the internet well enough to find local bands - no need to puke a 15 page (!) newsletter on our feet, unsolicited. Thanks!
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I am not sure why 1979 has been overlooked-all the released shows I have, together with their various extras have been great. Maybe all the others were rubbish! Shouldn't think so. 27th October was also a highlight of 30 Trips, too. I like the jams from this year. Maybe because Brent was new, he and the band hadn't quite figured out what direction the jams should go in. This shows, I think, in the playing. The best ones sound as though they could go anywhere-a good example of the music playing the band. They sound a bit out of control-but in a good way. I liked Brent's use of synthesizer during these late 79 shows, too. In fact, they are my favourite shows with him in the band. If there isn't enough for a good box set, maybe a show form this year would make a good Dave's Picks.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....but today is the anniversary of my last Dead show. Shoreline 6.4.95. (yay). To this day, I still haven't listened to it. I remember Unbroken Chain following Victim, which was a juxtaposition if I ever heard one.... I also remember the drumz clocking in at over thirty minutes. Something was up....
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

chock full o' great shows.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

HAM FISTED VIDEO! sorry. was the Rocket Man clip a clue for another '72 Boxset?
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Some excellent shows, some not so much; a lot had to do with Jerry trying new licks, especially the really fast runs using 32nd(or were they 64th?) notes, with mixed results. Definitely a transition year between 78 and 80, both years sounding very different than 79(to my ears, of course...)
user picture

Member for

15 years

Hey Vguy72 - 6/4/95 Shoreline was my last show too! I remember the first night (June 2) seeing all the people in the seated section swaying in time to Ramble On Rose...looked like a field of wheat. Just beautiful. From June 4 I remember the Guyto Monks. What I remember about that specifically was that all of Shoreline was dead quiet, intensely digging the monks. Except for the two drunks in front of us who were yelling (for what seemed like the entire monk sequence) "I can't believe it! I'm freaking out!" Maybe they weren't drunk - either way it was obnoxious for them to carry on so long. But I remember thinking all three nights were good and we were totally stoked for the September Shoreline shows. We even mail-ordered! (usually just got tix at Ticketmaster.) I loved Shoreline. I'm campaigning for an August '91 box or mini-box. Three great shows, including the best Victim or the Crime ever on 8/16/91. Maybe....I haven't heard 'em all.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

The whole is greater than sum of its parts, otherwise known as synergy. The synchronicity of the band is a vital component to their sound and approach to the way they choose to arrange and play music. If the only person who was not replaceable was Garcia and all others eventually expendable, then I take it I should consider any incarnation of JGB, especially those including members of the Grateful Dead, as a Grateful Dead show? Mhmmm not sure that works, de facto decision maker and musical sage is more an expression of trust than a confirmation of the inabilities or lack of input from participating members. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers but I can't get behind the idea that the only person who brought substantial value to this music was the very person who was so adamant that it was something beyond him, and whenever would listen to tapes said things like "I hate listening to our shows because I only hear what I was TRYING to do." Humbleness should be taken at face value and generally humble people don't like being placed on an alter. Humble and skilled people sometimes see flaw where others claim to find perfection. Never stop growing, I guess is the point of it all and as soon as one says the best is gone and nothing will be back, well I guess that just seems like some one has given up the search for the sound. Not to mention all this talk about Jerry and no mention of his writing partner? Oh wait, he was expendable too.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

There's no question the talent and genius of Jerry Garcia. When I was seeing GD shows, I would try and stand/sit in a Jerry Centric location and ended up watching him more than the others. Not only was he a grand communicator but he could sing and he had the chops. That being said.. after he passed, I sort of disappeared from the scene for more than a decade. I wasn't getting many new tapes, Archive.org hadn't really started or if it did I did not know about it. I had quit going to shows (with a few exceptions) years earlier, I starting working for a living, couldn't quite get into Phish etc. I kept trying to find new/different music that appealed to me and not much did, I was slowly becoming a dinosaur. True, I wasn't looking in the right places, but perhaps I was also in denial, felling old.. nothing stimulated me. A little more than a decade ago I gradually re-immersed myself and I am glad I did. It wasn't just Jerry that I missed.. it was the songs, the expectations of a wildly variable live show, what songs are they going to play, the jams.. break-outs the highs and lows, running into friends. Someone stepping up to the plate, sticking their neck out and taking some chances. I especially missed the songs though.. sure Hunter Garcia, but also Weir Barlow, etc. Then I noticed what these guys are doing both with their time and to their legacy. Bringing in all these songs and adding new people to the mix, different talents, different styles, different arrangements, etc. I am glad to see what they are doing and enjoy taking part of it. Yes.. it's not the same and one could argue it's not as good as the absolute high-water mark of the glory years. ..but it's pretty damn good and almost always puts a smile on my face. I keep on keeping on so long as someone keeps the torch lit and it continues to be fun. That's my take.. believe it if you need it.. and the world is a better place with Grateful Dead music. It doesn't bother me in the least that it's not someone's cup of tea. I'm just happy to see the songs get new life and live on. I guess I'm with Direwulf (and others) in that regard. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good. Hope that's ok..
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Nice sentiments Jim, I agree with you that brilliant and illuminating light can still shine through the clouds even to this day. Hope is not lost but it may not be as easy to come by. Grass ain't greener, the water ain't sweeter, either side of the hill.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

While I wouldn't mind a '79 box, I'm not campaigning for one. Just noticing 1979 is conspicuous in it's absence.
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

What Jerry intended to be and what he ultimately became, despite those intentions, are two completely different things. The same can be said for the band itself as history has proven and continues to prove. That's often the struggle for many artists who find themselves celebrated and revered beyond their own expectations. I interpreted AJS's statement to mean that on stage, in performance, live, Jerry was musically the dominant component (which, with no disrespect to Hunter's brilliance, would have little or nothing to do with him as Jerry's writing partner). So, yes -- while the synergy of the band and the interplay between individual members is absolutely vital to its collective sound, Jerry was the proverbial linchpin that kept the Grateful Dead's synergy intact. That said, my path was similar to Jim's. I stepped away for awhile after Jerry's passing, until I realized that I missed the experience of hearing those songs live. After my first "Dead" show, I was pleasantly surprised. No, the shows weren't (and aren't) the same. But the spirit is still there. And like all things that grow and evolve, I adapted along with my favorite band.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I get the impression that its quite a common characteristic of artists that they feel frustrated with their work, even if it is praised by other people. They often seem to feel that the work they produce falls short of the ideal standard they set for themselves. I can remember an interview with Jimi Hendrix, in which he stated dissatisfaction with his music. To people who liked him, his music was/is extraordinary-but only he knew what he was aiming for, and how the finished product stood in relation to that. Its not just famous or renowned artist who feel this way, either. My best friend is an artist, and she paints fantastic landscapes that almost explode with colour. She earns her living selling these paintings-but even after about 30 years experience, she has yet to feel that she has produced anything like what she sees in her own minds eye. She loves doing it though-her paintings seem almost an extension of her self.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

My only Corgis are my collection of Corgi toy cars from about 50 years ago -- Sgt. Snorkel's hook and ladder, James Bond's Aston Martin DB5 with the ejector seat and pop out machine guns up front, a 1968 Grenoble Olympics ski wagon with detachable skier, skis, and poles, Mr. Softee's ice cream truck, a Lincoln Continental with a built in faux TV screen in back, the Batmobile with costumed caped crusaders and firing projectiles out the top tubes and a fake flame that rolls in and out of the exhaust pipe with the wheels turning, and the E type Jaguar 4.2, among others. 'Twas the Cadillac collection compared to the Chevy Matchboxes, back in the day. As far as artists go, it's lucky that I'm not one, I suppose. All I have to do is set low expectations for myself, which I seem to achieve regularly :).
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Rolling Stone has a list of the top 100 songs from 1998. I recognized or remember hearing 4. FOUR. only one is diggable: Harvey Danger "Flagpole Sitta" of course i don't seek out pop music, but a lot filters down to me. but only 4 songs. I was a new dad with 1.5 year old twins; maybe that's why. my mind was a "skullful of mush", lusting for sleep. Wonderful, wonderful sleep.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Someone needs to figure out how to hack into all the telecommunication satellites and broadcast "Morning Dew" from 10/18/74 (GD Movie) throughout Singapore on June 12 for the USA/NK summit. Not only is it an appropriate song for the occasion (and a top version, imo), but can you imagine the thunderous bass lines and drums from that particular mix being played at "11" over a wide expanse of real estate? Mind-blowing. While you're at it, do the same synchronously over Moscow, Beijing, Tehran, Damascus, Kabul, etc., etc. And, of course, Washington D.C. Might just change everything. I was originally thinking about the "Dark Star" from Veneta, but that might initiate widespread mechanical breakdowns and cause the world leaders to soil themselves.
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

I'm an artist and I own a Corgi. She turns eight this July. Hands down the best dog we've ever had. Makes those days of creative not-quite-right seem a bit less daunting...
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

I had a similar experience with the the early post-Jerry iterations, though I actually did go to a lot of the shows. BUT i just was NOT feeling it. Phil & Friends had it's moments, as did Ratdog, but didn't;t ring the bell. Even Warren Haynes couldn't blow life into it - he wasn't the fit I thought he'd be. Then Further came along in 2009 - Kadlecik blew my mind, but then he was labeled a "Jerry ripoff" by Kreutzman and suddenly he was gone. I still catch him religiously when he rolls through Boston - the guy oozes that Jerry tone and vibe. Fare Thee Well was half-baked (woulda been great on their 20th+ show), but D&C has just the right formula and is getting better EVERY show. And Johnny Mayer helps pull in the wife/Gen Y crowd. It sure ain't the Dead, but man these guys cook. Can't wait to catch more of these shows from the couch.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Jerry’s contribution to GD is unmistakable, but if it were all about him then JGB would be indistinguishable from GD. History shows that the keyboardist can change but the bus will keep on truckin’, although some people refuse to listen to eras that don’t have their favorite keyboard player. The band was also able to morph from 2 drummers, to 1 drummer, and then back to 2; but some people prefer one of those incarnations over others. History also shows that the band could function with a female singer, although some people aren’t necessarily pleased with that era. What didn’t change was the 3 guys holding guitars. Any change in any of those 3 would have ended the band. In my opinion Jerry is the greatest guitarist ever (and I love Hendrix), but it’s his combination with Bob and Phil that made the band. The way Bob works his way in and out of Jerry’s Playing is amazing, and without Bob’s singing about half the songs would be gone. And Bob has a lot of good songs (and a few crappy ones - Eternity comes to mind) Phil is amazing. I posted a few days ago that Jeff and Oteil are the stars of D&C, and I think Oteil is great and hope he sticks with Jeff after D&C ends. But Phil’s presence is why FTW was so much better than D&C will ever be. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. I love Grateful Dead, and routinely listen to all years. And per suggestions a few days ago 6-18-74 is currently playing. Now where’s that new Box announcement?
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

kvetchmeister sez: why repeat 7/7/89 at MUATM? are there that few shows that can be shown in theaters? I'll probably wind up going. but a different show would be welcome.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

What’s your dislike of FTW?Did you attend? Hate Trey? I stopped seeing Phish in 1998, haven’t paid them any attention since. But I thought Trey was great at FTW (even if a little more practice was needed), and he showed it again with Bob and Phil. Saw Furthur 2x in 2011, totally seemed like a GD cover band. But I still had fun. Have seen D&C 11/2015, 6/2017, and 11/2017. Had a great time every time, and they keep getting better. Definitely better live than live streamed. Can’t make it this summer but will try next tour. But D&C has never given me the feeling I had at FTW. But that in turn was a minuscule approximation of the feeling I got at GD.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....period. There is also nothing like Stanley Cup playoff games. I measured my heartrate on my phone during the third period in game one. It registered 137 bpm. I think i had two or three minor strokes....
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

The question "why repeat 7/7/89 at MUATM?" reminded me of a shower thought from the weekend.DL2 had mentioned that they have a number of projects in process, one "unlike anything we've done before". This year's MUATM is a repeat and is accompanied by a box announcement. I hereby guess that the box announcement will be of a box containing all the MUATM shows both on CD and video. Actually that would make more sense if the repeated "movie" wasn't one that is available as an A/V release already...I begin to doubt myself... Jerry was certainly the center of The GD, but The GD was a web of people making a "sum greater than the parts". Bobby is my preferred singer/performer of the members, but I have not found myself willing to even try listening to a night of Jerry-less GD music from any of the post-GD configurations. Glad the boys are keepin' on and that they and the fans are enjoying it, but that ain't for me.
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Of course the JGB isn't GD. I may have missed something in the thread, but I don't think anyone is making that argument. Two entirely different entities that share one key component. The Grateful Dead without Jerry is like a Rum Cake minus the rum. Still a great tasting cake, but one essential ingredient is noticeably missing. "Essential" being the operative word. No one is disputing the importance of the other band members. At least I'm not. But minus that one key ingredient, what you're left with is -- well, see my cake analogy above. And the only way the JGB would be indistinguishable from the GD is if Bobby, Phil, Mickey, Bill, Donna Jean, Keith, Brent, etc. comprised the band. And then, of course, they'd be the Grateful Dead and not the Jerry Garcia Band. So again, in my opinion, Jerry's contribution wasn't just unmistakeable. It was essential, whether he ever intended it to be or not. But totally agree -- what's the hold up on that Summer '76 Box Set announcement?
product sku