• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Why did you go to your first Grateful Dead concert?
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

You sound as though you set very high standards for yourself at work! Which is great, as long as it doesn't stress you out. If it doesn't, I would rather have people like you around me than people who don't care about what they do-and think they are great anyway. Regarding D&C, Further etc- I would be open to listening to them more if I could actually see them live-rather than just listen to or watch recordings. If I am listening to recordings, I always gravitate towards the years I like best-which are years involving Jerry. And there are so many of these. If I feel like a change-then there are the years I don't like as much-and I am usually (though not always) pleasantly surprised by them. I have never got as far as listening to the band without Monsieur Garcia.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I discovered the Deads albums in 1976. I had read about them before then, and liked the descriptions of them. But then I heard a few things, and hadn't really been able to reconcile what I had read, with what I had heard. Then in April 76 I heard Anthem-and that was the one. After that I started collecting all the others and carried on reading as much as I could about them, and the supporting cultures. Lots of Kerouac books, Ken Kesey, The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test-I lived in England but my head was in San Francisco. So when the Dead came to England in 1981...how could I not go? They came twice, too. Although, it shows that I still hadn't cottoned onto them totally, as I only went to one show in each of the two runs they did in London. Silly man!
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Krippner ESP experiment?! Portchester early 71!?
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

What other choice, at this stage, do I really have? Just remember, though, he 'watches every card he plays and plays 'em slow...' Stoltzfus mentioned Dark Star, 1970, "acid month" (I actually looked that up, just in case...) and 4/21/71. Hmmm, let's see now... Dark Star was mostly played in 1968 to 1972, with a few in '73. (Keeps my "Summer '73 box" hopes alive.) 1970 ... whoa! We know the vault has a scarcity here, UNLESS a couple choice shows were in the Mtn Grrl stash; don't think '70 was cited in the ABCD Ent. returned tapes. (Wasn't the latter ~1971-1978?) But as 1970 is so rare, I kinda doubt a '70 box. (Prove me wrong, please!) 4/21/71 ... certainly April or "Spring" 1971 contains a few Dark Stars and could be the "seasonal" box they've never done before. Between my emotions (summer '73 I caught six shows) and my reason (Dark Stars crop up three times in summer '73, summer '73 represents the single biggest gap in the vault release program, AND returned tapes may include '73), I'm still on the '73 box bandwagon. I've never been wrong before... As to "why" I attended my first GD show (9-19-72), American Beauty had been on the turntable in our basement (ping pong table, too) for more than a year, I was a freshly minted 15-yr-old, my older brother's friends had a car and could drive and I had an ounce ball of hash at my disposal. And I'd taken psychedelics already and been to several large, loud rock 'n roll concerts. Oh, and tickets were about $3. Now I'm a hugely maladjusted 60-yr-old with a freakin' enormous CD collection, including hundreds by the GD. That $3 tic was more expensive than I thought at the time. My prediction: a box announcement for pre-order before the July availability of the Anthem reissue (so psyched for fall '67!!). As to timing, it's like an old Twilight Zone episode in which the market (that'd be us) works itself (with my unwitting help) into a positive froth over the announcement. Properly primed, demand surges!
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Gollum may be right. Capitol run was multi-track, there was Stanley's ESP experiment (I've met Stanley, nice guy), there's one Dark Star and they've never put out a six-show consecutive run from a single venue. (I think...) 1971 or 1973, my cash money is on the line. Not to wager, but to buy. See, they've got us self-frothing. And no, I'm not in cahoots with TPTB, I'm just a hendrixfreak in Colorado who enjoys the vault guessing game, though, admittedly, I have in the past counseled "patience," "let it be a surprise" and other horseshit like a good hypocrite.
user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Yes, hendrixfreak, maybe Portchester! Also wasn't there a wild Bolo clue a long, long time ago about hearing voices from on high or something? That could fit with the ESP thingy. And it fits the bacon in a box Pigpen clue.
user picture

Member for

6 years

that phish box set is way too rich for my blood. the good thing about it is answers my question were multi track? yes as they are advertised as being remixed and mastered. problem I have though unless they remix the individual shows I possibly might be having to settle for a inferior mix. for some odd ass reason I have this feeling the Dead box set is going to be just as ridiculously big and out of my price range.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

See what tripping as 15-yr-old does? Worm holes in the 60-yr-old memory! Hmmm, if bacon's involved, I'd have to drop Summer '73 and go with Feb '71 and my man in the greasy corduroy hat: Ron McKernan, who lays down great versions of: Hurts Me Too Hard to Handle Big Boss Man Smokestack Lightning Easy Wind(x2!) Good Lovin' Next Time You See Me Lovelight King Bee Hey Gollum, if it's 1971, I've got all kinds of time to hear Summer '73. I've agitated for Capitol Feb '71 for a while, but as a guitarist, I couldn't keep up the constant drum beat.....
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Does it sound like Dark Star? But didn’t Stoltzfus also say something about some 80’s shows recently? We don’t know what Stoltzfus comment from what day Bolo was referring to. Could be from days ago. Why did I go to my first show? I liked the songs that I had heard, I was told that they were great live, I was looking for a Pink Floyd substitute since they didn’t tour regularly but I had made it in 87 and it was awesome, and I was told I could buy sheets in the parking lot and boy could I. The show was awesome (4-6-89), at least to me - prior to that I had only seen Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Jimmy Buffett. GD blew away all of them, including Floyd which was my favorite band up to that point. I walked out of the arena that night and Floyd had just been demoted to second favorite band. On a side note, I was on probation for a DUI when I attended that first Dead show. Good thing I didn’t get into any trouble while there. Caught 29 shows from that night until 7-9-95, 4 Brent, 5 Bruce, the rest Vince. Maybe a lousy era in some people’s opinion, but I had a great time and wish I could have gone more. The only really horrendous show was Deer Creek 95. Speaking of Deer Creek, I believe that D&C is playing there right now.
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Well, the GD proves you can have bacon AND Dark Star in the same first set, no less. I don't think Bolo stores up days-old comments. He said quite recently, in a stab at humor, that there would be a box set. Then he posted that "they" heard Stoltzfus, who had just uttered the Dark Star, 1970, acid month and 4/21/71 comments. I SAY (beating my chest) that Bolo was reacting to those four items. BUT, indeed he'd teased bacon some time ago. Conclusion: Feb '71 has a Dark Star basting in grease. Of course, as I like to say, "I've never been wrong before." Except there was just that one time in the garden of forking paths when I took a left when I shoulda taken a right..........
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I’m a Dead Head that refuses to listen to Motorhead, or any heavy metal. Find it quite annoying.And pretty much any 80’s big hair band, other than Van Halen, which is actually a 70’s big hair band. The 80’s big hair bands were all just Van Halen wannabes. I consider Led Zep to be rock n roll, not heavy metal. I know somebody who would listen to Alice In Chains but then said he didn’t like The Who because ‘they were too hard’. WTF????
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Watching now.I see that Deer Creek built a more sturdy wall on top of the hill than the wooden yard fence they had in 95. Should have thought of that before 7-2-95, then maybe I could have seen the show that I had a ticket for on 7-3-95. Anyway, nice Jam>Other One opener.
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Love Motörhead. Not sure they fit into a specifically Heavy metal category. Nobody played a Rickenbacker bass like Lemmy. Box set. I think Dave stated in a video post 30 Trips that there won't be any boxes that big in the future. I hope so. I'm all in for the smaller boxes. Maybe it will be the Pig box. That would be something! Peace.
user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

My buddy (Brook) had been to Buckeye Lake OH summer '88. It sounded like a good time. I had already seen Yes at Hershey with the parents. I had a Pink Floyd show under my belt too. To answer the question directly, I went because it seemed like a natural progression. I knew a little of the music and this high school senior was ready for adventure!
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Got invited by a good friend, was starting to get into music, curious, dosed (on a school night no less), the show was great. I'm a different person than I was before that fateful night, hopefully in a good way. Before the Dead, was getting into Yes, The Who, some prog.. had seen a bunch of metal shows but after the GD, metal seemed to drift into the rear view mirror. It was fun, I was young.. yes, excellent adventures to be had. It also opened me up to travelling.. the second or third show I saw was a five hour drive and we overnighted it. Not sure if I told the folks the truth or made something up. It turned out all right in the end. I was a sophomore in HS. I never listened to music the same way again. What about you?
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

consistently high energy rock and roll
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

indeed it turned out to be a good idea.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

.....or any early 70's year for that matter??!?? Of the last 6 Dave Picks: 2 from 1971, a 1972, and a 1973 show....just don't think they will do a BOX SET in 2018 from 1970-1974. I think we are lookin at a 1989 and/or 1990 BOX SET with multi-track recorded pristine shows....that or a 1980(intact full shows from Warfield/RCMH), or Spring or Europe 1981 ; )
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Nailed it!Once again you have so eloquently described what I was trying to convey! Yes Dave has favorites, and yes he gravitates toward them, but he is open, and gives the rest a chance..... I personally agree with the live versus other source comment too. The streaming etc is awesome, (if I had usable internet, hurumph....) and it sure is nice to sit on the big leather couch, with the loo steps away, the fridge even closer, so I can drink quality ale, not stadium swill, with a pause button so a, I can step outside and check the air in the ole tires ahem. And the big plasma and McIntosh audio are hard to beat! But there is nothing like live sound, like being there etc....the Absolute Sound Magizine describes TAS as the sound of live, unamplified acoustic music,....that is their point of reference for all audio gear. Mine is the sound of the GD live, through the Meyers Ultra-Sound PA circa late eighties. That is what I use for my reference when evaluating equipment and music. (What ever your opinion of the music was then, the PA then was the greatest of all time!) So like Dave, I love to hear these bands live, and do so when convenient, but don’t normally listen at home.....so little time, so much great music etc. But like he says, when he does “I am usually (though not always), pleasantly surprised by them.” The point is, he does not just dismiss eras, bands etc, out of hand. He at least attempts to listen and understand the music. This is evident by the great reviews of all kinds of different music he gives us. Does he like it all, probably not? But he tries...... Ok, don’t mean to beat this to death. I just feel we all could enjoy, and perhaps get turned onto other stuff by sometimes stepping out of the old comfort zone. And besides, just like the people we love but see all the time, it’s nice to take a time out and perhaps “miss” the ol standbies and favorites... Thanks again Dave!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

How bout a Dave’s from 1-20-79 with set 2 from 1-10-79 as disc 3......
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I'd be fine with 1989 or 1980, but last years box was from 89.. just reading the tea leaves, and they are not spelling 1989 in the cup I just finished drinking. I am seeing '71 or '73 with an honorable mention of '76 but who knows.. I applaud your enthusiasm, however.. nothing wrong with that. For what it's worth.. TIGDH, Lemieux played something from the Spring of '78 (I know it's not Spring, but...). He made specific mention that nothing from the first ten shows in April have been released, that the master reels were not in the vault. He said they are returned and will "get drawn upon sometime in the near and distant future." Sort of a tell that we are getting a Spring '78 Dave's Picks over the next year. My hope is Huntington WV, 4/16/78.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 10 months

give it up for the impostors, now copying dead box set releases too. phlogging a dead horse..
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I had fallen in love with the Grateful Dead and the whole "hippie" thing when as a 13 year old boy living in very rural area of southern Indiana I read an article in my Dad's Time magazine in 1967 about hippies and the "Summer of Love" in San Francisco. In the article were photographs of the Dead playing a free concert in the park and some beautiful braless hippie chics dancing. My 13 year old male brain filled in the blanks and I decided I'd be a hippie. Started fighting with my parents about hair and clothes and stuff. Fell in with the small hippie community in town and was introduced to marijuana and psychedelics. When I graduated high school I went to college on the west coast and caught the Dead first chance I got 12/15/72 Long Beach Arena. Unlike most stories of this nature reality far surpassed the fantasy. The Dead were great, the people were great. I was on the bus 100%.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Always enjoy your anecdotes about seeing early 70s shows in California mhammond12. I would have loved to have caught just one, and it seems like you and some others around here had the privilege of seeing quite a few over those years. I was born in '79 so I never got the chance to see the band in the Jerry years. The closest I can get is archive.org and these official releases of full shows, which I seek out with a somewhat reckless abandon. I would love a Capital Theater '71 box almost as much as i'd like a fall '73 box. Come on already Dave. We're dying here for something, anything, to hold us over. Agreed the MUATM is decidedly underwhelming this year. Not sure why they couldn't dust off something that no one has seen. What are they waiting for?
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Had been enjoying the first few Dead LPs, but somehow managed to miss them both in 72 and 74, when I was still living in France. Fast forward 2 years, I decided to visit the US with no plan, just a roundtrip ticket to New York. I arrived at JFK, and looked at the departures screen, it was a choice between Nashville and San Francisco. I picked the latter, arrived in SF around 5:00am; checked in a cheap hotel, sat down for breakfast, grabbed the SF Chronicle, went straight to the entertainment section, lo and behold, the Dead is playing with the Who the next day..10/9/76. Had such a great time, I decided to move to SF permanently the next year, in time to catch my 2nd & 3rd show on 12/29 & 12/31/77. After that I attended most bay area shows up until the end.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

...Jimmy, i was waiting for you to reference this monster of a show as soon as you started down the path of "missing reels from Spring 1978". Well done. I agree/concur/hope/proselytize as well! This show is one of my favorites from '78 for sure. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Aaaaaaaa? That’s way to existential for here lol. Generally, was obsessed with all things R&R, and wanted to see everything I could. First show was Kiss and the Rockets in January of 78. Don’t laugh, Hey, at least I’m honest! Told about big stadium Fleetwood Mac etc here before. Saw Eagles, Clapton with Muddy Waters opening. Now I had no clue who that was at the time, but boy I’ll tell you they fried my 15 year old brain....completely blew Clapton away. Also some others during that year... Meanwhile I was into a bunch of stuff, but still held Zep, Hendrix and Dead near the top. I told here the story of an April 78 day when for some reason the skull fuck version of Johnny B Goode just suddenly floored me, made my friend play it over and over. JBG was a R&R standard in those days and so I was familiar with many good versions, especially Hendrix.... So it just really resonated, and comparatively blew away all the other versions....they changed me that day. I was also being fed tapes and guitar lessons etc from Dave Homal of later known Homal Alaniz sp? Band (he went out with my friends sister). He worked hard to indoctrinate me. So the dead was creeping up the list in my mind, but there was one thing left that needed to happen..... Unfortunately, they hadn’t come to town since the famous 77 show, and my folks weren’t about to let us travel to other cities yet to go to concerts, which dear old mom was already scared shitless about us going to.. (“they’ll stick a needle in you and you won’t even know it!) lol! Finally, the Dead was coming to town, but Shea’s is a very small theater and it was promoted by Buff State so tix were near impossible for a high school going lad such as myself. Luckily a school buddy and one of the very few other Deadheads at the time in my school, had an extra ticket. I believe face value was like 5 or 6 bucks, but it was 3rd row and a tough tic so wood chuck wanted 20 bucks, which of course I paid and glad I did because it totally changed my life. Seeing them live like that just blew me away. From then on there was always the Dead, and then everything else..... It was funny cause pops had to pick us up, So often he would chat up the cops at the door of concerts and get them to let him in for free. So he was in for the end of the show, and to this day talks about how much he dug Sug Mag, too funny.... Anyway, 1-20-79, barely 16, all the way until 7-9-95, and the rest as they say is history.....one of the greatest days of my life!
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Folks, I've hesitated for several days, but this is probably sad news that we must bear together. You know that ForensicDoc suffered a stroke and he wrote here that he believed the prognosis was good. I sent him a care pkg with a book and CD to cheer him up. When he rec'd it, he sent me this private email, to which I responded beseechingly, but he has not written back. He did not say to not share it, and perhaps some of you have heard from him. But ... "Thanks for the book and CD. That was vey nice of you. "I'm not returning to deadnet. "I have given up on guitar. Major waste of time and money. All guitars are packed up and put away, all guitar shit also deleted from all computers. "You won't be hearing from me again. Thanks for everything, I wish you well Doc" The rare misspelling and the tone of finality regarding his forum participation, his guitaring and our friendship kicked me in the gut. I fear that the Doc has hit a very rough patch and is focused, I pray, on rehab, etc. I'd humbly suggest that all of you who have back-channeled on personal email with him leave him alone for now. I break this heart-breaking news as a loving member of this great community and all I can say now is that we should all send healing vibes, prayers, whatever your style and just maybe the good Doc will re-emerge as the guy we know and love. Sorry to do this, but I finally felt it was my duty. Love to all, especially our "Good morning rockers" generous-spreader-of-1971 and so much more, hendrixfreak
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

In reply to by wrongway54

Well shit. Thanks hendrixfreak for sharing the disappointing news from doc. Gotta respect his need to focus on more important things right now. Warm, good vibes are radiating out from the mountains of west Texiz. Doc, you're an amazing soul. Onward brother!
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

In reply to by hockey_john

Maybe the good Doc will at some point be in the mood to at least lurk and, if so, encouragement and light and even a laugh might help. I'm thinking that his email was dark, but mostly cogent, correctly spelled and he had the will to touch base. He did say he has experienced fear and depression post-stroke and that his doctor said that's normal. I pray he was temporarily in a dark mood and that tangible progress towards recovery will brighten his outlook. Lord knows, I've been in some mighty dark places myself over the years. When one doesn't smile or laugh for a few days or even longer, that's depressing in and of itself. But when the clouds part, man, ya gotta grab the sunshine and make it work for you. And knowing that an entire community has your back, well, just maybe that'd help carry you in difficult times. Okay, we've heard from the great state of Texas and its northern neighbor, Colorado! How many states do we all live in and can ya give up something real for our friend ForensicDoc, Mr. 1971??
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Big love comin' your way from Wyoming.Hang tough man. Once in a while... :o)
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

More love and good thoughts coming your way from COAlways have enjoyed your posts here, and could tell early on you are one of the most respected and leading voices here....hope your back with us, understand if not....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

Sending all positive thoughts from the great state of New Jersey. Hang in there Doc-your knowledge and generosity has had such a positive effect on more people than you know!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....best luck Doc. I have a hunch he's not going away forever. Heal up and get well. Oh, and I didn't know the Dead owned a patent on box sets.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

I read earlier of Doc's stroke, and I'm very sad that he had a stroke. If my calculations are correct, I believe Doc's is in his early to mid 60's*. Kinda early for a stroke, as I also believe he was in pretty good health, also. But stroke could happen at any age, and we don't know his family history, but that's beside the point right now. His private email to hendrixfreak, that was shared here, really took the breath from me and made me cry and scream. Way too dark. Doc 1st sent me the 3/72 Academy of Music shows, then he really pushed me back into his beloved 1971 with a good helping of shows. Thank you very much! Apparently, or at least the way I see it, Doc's preaching for 1971 caught the eyes of marye, Dave Lemieux and others (The Powers That Be), as the original 1st generation recordings of one of Dave's favorite shows, 11/17/71 was returned to the Grateful Dead recordings vault, and eventually became DaP 26. But I will say that Doc did not had a hand (or say) in that show's selection. It comes on the heels of 12/7/71, DaP 22 released May 2017. I wish Doc well.
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Hendrixfreak, Thank you for reaching out to everyone about Doc. Sadly, I also received a similar message from him 2 days ago. Mine was as follows "Im permanently out of business, not returning to deadnet and you wont hear from me again. Goodbye and good luck". Kick in the gut is right. I haven't stopped thinking about it since & been GDTRFB.....literally!!! The only thing I can say is that I'm incredibly Grateful for the short time I've known Doc. I told him once that any person who shares that much Grateful Dead music with me has to be my friend, and I truly believe that. Rock on Dead Freaks.... CaseyJanes
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Thanks, Hendrixfreak for sharing the email you received from Doc. Hopefully this is a temporary set back that he is having at the moment, and that his physical and mental health will improve over the next few days. I have always been struck by Doc's generosity, and willingness and ability to communicate. He picked me up earlier in the year, on pms, about me promoting bootlegs on here. We had a good few posts and I enjoyed communicating with him-a good and principled man. Me and my friends, when something goes wrong with someone we know, we talk of holding that person "in the light". And that's what I will be doing with Doc tonight.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

No gossip here.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years

Let’s double down on ‘71 releases this year and announce the ‘71 box in the name of the good doc. Good Morning Rockers would be a fine title.
product sku