• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I saw sherbear make a post a couple weeks ago on JOTW. Now just need some stuart walker love. hugz. Enjoy the sun and listen to the rain. Be thankful, kind, humble and dammit call your mom. What about Pembroke?
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Man the coffee is strong this morning....beautiful day here in KC, been smoking a pork shoulder for the last 12 hours. Listening to Europe 72 Volume 18, in the middle of a 28 minute Dark Star no less, “shall we go, you and I while we can”? Saw The Schwag here on Friday night...highly recommended if you like a dance party and you don’t mind a GD cover band. They encored with Goin to KC and a version of After Midnight that reminded me very much of JGB Keen College which is another one of my favorite live shows. VW played with The Schwag for a time....anyways check them out! One thing we know, The Box Set is not Port Chester 71! LOL Good to hear from you Doc, and again thanks for everything. Best of luck in your new pursuits! Peace, Love, Dead to ALL Casey Janes
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Good to hear that the Doc is in possession of his faculties, at least in the berserk-forum-posting category. Having never rec'd an email from someone stating "you'll never hear from me again," "I've erased all my guitar lessons from my computers" and having heard directly from the Doc on this forum that he has been angry and depressed after a stroke, I think a reasonable person would be concerned. Particularly after seeing the CDC report that 98 men in the U.S. take their own lives every single day. So, folks, the obvious lesson here is to choose your words carefully. Because your use of dark, apocalyptic language can lead to misunderstandings among caring people. And, actually, when you do write dark apocalyptic notes and someone expresses concern, and you respond with extreme vitriol, frankly that exacerbates the concern. Concern for each other, even when misplaced, I don't believe is grounds for anger. Apparently, that's just me. Doc, I owe you no apology. You wrote me what can only be described as a desperate note, having already publicly acknowledging anger and fear and depression. You may send the gifts I sent you to cheer you up back to me. I wish you well on your recovery. As a physician, you probably know that extreme anger isn't good for your blood pressure, particularly after a stroke. So try slow, deep breathing and perhaps cut out the desperate notes to people that leads us to worry over you.
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Then there's http://www.district-distilling.com/gin/ in DC. Their awarding winning gins are distilled with Alligator (Checkerbark) Juniper berries (J. deppeana var. deppeana). This species of juniper is only found in the mountains of west Texas and southern New Mexico – I'm looking at several of the huge trees right now.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Dear Doc,Can understand your frustration and agree with most of what you said....not so much the paragraph about 89 etc. would love to sit in person and debate that, but alas....... The out pouring was amazing and it truly touched me emotionally, made me feel apart of something, but I also remember feeling like everybody was acting like Doc was already dead. So much so I actually spoke to my wife about it, read her some posts and she agreed. Surely everyone ment well, but it made me uncomfortable. Can’t imagine how that felt for Doc.....sounds like he has enough going on without all that.... And maybe all the focus in the media on depression etc, but that too. Everybody was jumping all over the bandwagon on that to. I for one did not really feel that way from Docs “farewell” post last week. More like just a self aware person who has experienced some recent major life events, coinciding with a time in life when folks often start to make changes. Let’s just look at the silver lining in this as the fact that so many people here obviously really care about the guy, so much so that we perhaps pushed him over the edge of frustration. Hindsight’s 20/20 .... Anyway, sounds to me like Doc is just changing his priorities and doing what he’s has to do, and really, is any of this even OUR business? Technically this site is for discussing released dead material, no? It’s great that many of us get more than that from here, but this perhaps illustrates how unfortunately lines get blurred, and just how inefficient the written word can be sometimes. We should use this whole unfortunate experience to hopefully learn something, perhaps turn it into a positive, and go furthur! That to me, seems like the kind of thing Doc would strive for. GIN: ummmmm, smoooth. If your like me and try not to drink soda etc, but enjoy an occasional frosty beverage, try one of my Pedro’s. Put your favorite gin and some lime Perrier in the fridge until nice and cold. Put 3 or 4 fingers of gin in a 16oz beer pint glass, and top of with ice cold Lime Perrier, ummmmm smooooth! Great at parties, no cutting up limes or hassling with ice, and watching folks come from the rest room and stick their dirty hands in the fruit, and ice bucket. Also, gentler on our aging geezer stomachs than tonic water etc....give it a try, The Pedro.... FEAT; “ let’s hear it for Little Feat” yeah mon....
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

Hf, your post revealing Doc's words to you indicated that you had been stewing for days before choosing to share Doc's words with the people who were expressing love, concern, and curiosity over his situation.You were put in a difficult spot. The chance of irritating the Doc was about 50%, right? Thus your dilemmma. But a dilemma that could only be resolved by making the decision. Sharing the information did help a bunch of people in the community that you and he are both a part of. Apparently the spotlight is the last place Doc wants to be, but when you have made people care about you the spotlight will come your way, like it or not. I am pretty sure I would have done what you did. I am sorry that you got the brunt of his anger for what you did. You did it for all of us. I assume may of us are thinking kind thoughts towards both Doc and you.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

bought it when it came outlistened some and thought meh fast forward to today while Ubering: "wow! another fine release." seeds that were silent all burst into bloom it really sounds good. She Belongs To Me, It Takes a lot to laugh, Desolation Row ("DOCtor Filth, he keeps his world inside of a leather cup"), Ballad of a Thin Man, Baby Blue, and more. A second CD with two (!!) tracks is part of the release, too.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Private Message not Public Message.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Once again, thanks for making me laugh and smile, smile, smile....When the going gets the wierd, the wierd laugh hard...
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

To put the tempest back in the tea pot, I draw a distinction between statements on taking a break from the forum and seriously dark existential statements. In my view, I stepped up. Obviously, I just stepped in it. Whether to err on the side of "going public" or remaining silent is an issue to consider. When I perceive it's possible that someone needs help and they do not respond to persistent queries, I tend to take their dark words seriously. In this case, it appears that I erred. That does not change my basic stance. So, my apology -- sorry folks -- is to the forum, for erring publicly in a manner that disrupted the fun here. That's always been my focus. However, as a journalist, the belief that sweeping things under the rug or turning way to not see what's in front of me just ain't right. I hope you all can accept this as an explanation, as excuses are not my thing. Time to rock on? It is for me.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

I don't think anyone here saw any bad intentions in your efforts. And there's certainly no lasting harm. I don't think anyone here can blame you. Doc has been an institution here and an example of extreme generosity. I think we all hope him a speedy recovery from his medical issues. I don't think the bridge burning was necessary. I think the laundry list of problems he has with dead.net's posters made him lose a bit of the goodwill he has spent years building. Leaving dead.net because of "Jerry worship" or people requesting a box set or Dark Star obsessions? Come on man, that's 97.5% of the fun around here.
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

PHISH, SATURDAY 06/10/1995 RED ROCKS AMPHITHEATRE Morrison, CO Soundcheck: Cry Baby Cry SET 1: Makisupa Policeman -> Llama, Prince Caspian > It's Ice > Free > Rift, You Enjoy Myself -> Hold Your Head Up[1] > Lonesome Cowboy Bill > Hold Your Head Up, Suzy Greenberg SET 2: Maze, Fee[2] > Uncle Pen, Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Amazing Grace, Sample in a Jar ENCORE: A Day in the Life[3] [1] Vocal jam. [2] Trey sang verses through megaphone. [3] Phish debut. This show marked the first Phish performance of A Day in the Life. YEM segued into a HYHU vocal jam. Page teased Fanfare for the Common Man several times before Lonesome Cowboy Bill. Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Obviously we've all hit a nerve here and I think it's appropriate that we drop this topic altogether out of respect for all involved. Clearly everyone comes from good intentions, but best to leave this lie.
user picture

Member for

12 years 3 months

10-27-90 Paris, France. One of my all time favorite shows from the very beginning of Vince's time with the group. The combo of Vince/Bruce was nothing to poo poo about. This whole tour stands out to me as one of the last great runs. Compare this high energy show with say....4-1-94 Omni Atlanta....another high energy latter day show that just never seems to reach that mythical zone where the X factor is reached....drums and space maybe but....well that goes without saying. The Paris gigs are absolutely phenomenal leading up to the London gigs where even with what sounds like a head cold, Jerry delivers his vocals very poignantly atop the entire band just roaring, roiling and boiling underneath him. A lot of this current Dead n Co summer tour is reminding me of some of the FINER moments of Brent's last years with the group and first few ragers with Vince and Bruce. Believe it if you need it. Or, you know....leave it if you dare ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcF4FGzASKA
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

but I do remember hearing a great rhythm leading into VOTC on cassette of 11/1/90 back in the day. I saw a poster cluster around town advertising 6/29/18 D&C at the Gorge. tempting...but I will use my $$$ for the box set.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Hence it’s selection for 30 Trips. Spinning JGB 3-22-78 currently. Last night gave 7-12-89 a spin, that Sugaree is awesome. So, tomorrow is the big Bolo reveal to one lucky person.....
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Would you believe night 3, TTB @ Merriam Theater, Philadelphia, Pa?This will whet your palette nicely for 6/10/73 - most are probably there already - lol
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I am familiar with all of Europe 90 having listened to all of it last November. good points bad points. if you're going to give jerry a hash cookie please tell him so he can put it aside and eat it later, not eat it and be rendered nearly useless for a show. those were dennis McNally's words not mine, recently read the book in sections and read the one about '90. a few could really use a Charlie miller remaster though to the point I wont even play it on my ipod you have crank a few way the hell up. I might even get to it again soon, for I am now keeping a show note journal.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I came for the grape juice. (sorry came up on Family Guy and it made me chuckle). Edit: yes.. I do watch that low brow show,.. my ex's 10 year old has gotten into it and I let him watch it even though his mom won't. I can only hope he doesn't get all the humor I do. Proves I'm no role model.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Been incredibly busy lately.. and missing a bunch of music, but still catching a bunch too and having good fun along the way. I missed Friday nights Dead/Phil thing entirely.. and last night was sure to at least start the free Phil part on Nugs.tv at about a quarter to midnight. When I started to doze off (shortly after I started) I managed to hit pause, just to see if it saved this into the next day. it did not. :(.. but the free stuff they had sitting there when I just hit play tonight really kicked ass. It could be a result of hitting pause, then hitting play on the same stream tonight.. but I bet it's still there somewhere if you poke around. I spent my night watching a Phil n Friends show from 2014 at the Capitol Theatre. The Let it Grow > Eyes was spectacular.. complete with horns (but not in the of atonal fall 1973 way, quite well done). Really great stuff. "Wondering Where the Nuthatch Winters.. with Wings A Mile Long." Love that line, Nuthatches don't winter, they just stay in place, poof out their down and ride out the wherever they are :D. I'm sure Hunter knew that which makes me ponder the real meaning. btw.. love Jackie Greene. Under-rated. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
user picture

Member for

6 years

Hey diddle diddle my cat and my middle
user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Goddamn, Hippychic. I did a double-take when I first read that.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....was in Elko for my granddaughters high school graduation the last four days. My stepdaughters pit had a litter last August. Had our eye on a female and finally ran up and got her. I named her Lucy when born. Stepdaughter changed it to Lucee. Even better....
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

1-25-1969 Avalon BallroomGet some... :o) ...the St. Stephen-> Eleven-> Lovelight is icing on the cake.
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

I HOPE this is just a distillation of this year's box, being a general release I'm inclined to say yes... The Grateful Dead "Pacific Northwest '73-'74: Believe It If You Need It" live 3CD set (Grateful Dead/Rhino) [CD1] 1. China Cat Sunflower (Live at Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR 5/19/74) 2. I Know You Rider (Live at Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR 5/19/74) 3. Bird Song (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 6/22/73) 4. Box Of Rain (Live at Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR 6/24/73) 5. Brown-Eyed Women (Live at Hec Edmundson Pavillion, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 5/21/74) 6. Truckin' (Live at Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR 5/19/74) 7. Jam (Live at Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR 5/19/74) 8. Not Fade Away (Live at Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR 5/19/74) 9. Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad (Live at Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR 5/19/74) 10. One More Saturday Night (Live at Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR 5/19/74) [CD2] 1. Here Comes Sunshine (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 6/22/73) 2. Eyes Of The World (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 5/17/74) 3. China Doll (Live at Hec Edmundson Pavillion, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 5/21/74) 4. Playing In The Band (Live at Hec Edmundson Pavillion, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 5/21/74) [CD3] 1. Sugaree (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 5/17/74) 2. He's Gone (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 6/22/73) 3. Truckin' (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 6/22/73) 4. The Other One (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 6/22/73) 5. Wharf Rat (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 6/22/73) 6. Sugar Magnolia (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 6/22/73)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

Was wondering where you got your info from, can't find it anywhere, not even on amazon.com..
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Looks like the cat is out of the proverbial bag a bit earlier than anticipated. I'll still fire up the ol' number generator and send the winner some schwag. Seth - add 1 more: 6/26
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

It's interesting they carved it up this way. It is something they have not done before. So ~$250 ish?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

The split year format is a surprise to me, but at first glance, there is enough similarity in the shows for it to feel cohesive. That 5/21/74 show looks to be worth the investment on its own. A 46 minute Playin?! ...with an Eyes > Wharf Rat > Sugar Mag? Yes please.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

I wonder if the missing reel with the end of the show has been recovered/uncovered for a complete release - I am excited for this! The 5/19/74 jam has long been a favorite too!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....you had me at P.N.E. I need my DeadBase. Sept 7th is the release date I assume?
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Yes!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

I'm tempted to pre-order the vinyl from the UK just because I can, but I think that is the fear of a US ordering debacle again and me losing years off my life as I wonder if one of my ten orders went through properly. It it wasn't so damn stressful, I'd be getting a good laugh right now!
user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

… on your new addition. I too have a dog named Lucy.I like the alternative spelling!
product sku