• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

12 years 3 months

I doubt I will be able to afford the entire box but that 3 disc comp looks TASTY enough as it is! I am going to make up a playlist of those songs from those shows and add it onto my player that I take with me to work. Anyone else participate in this kind of malarkey when we get the advance updates? This is the best news I have gotten in the past week.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

While we wait for the boxset (which looks incredible), has anyone been checking out the Taper's Section lately? Worth checking out in case anyone missed out: "Our first stop this week is in Kirkwood, MO, on 5/14/70, where we have this very unique, and excellent, jam featuring a whole pile of terrific Grateful Dead music: New Speedway Boogie > Nobody's Fault But Mine Jam> New Speedway Boogie > Saint Stephen > Not Fade Away > Turn On Your Lovelight."
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

I am currently 2000 feet below ground under a massive granite outcropping that is part of Cheyenne Mountain here in Colorado (i.e., NORAD). Having entered this enormous lead-lined chamber through 2 sets of 25-ton blast doors, I am now firing up the Acme® 2000 Random Number Generator. It's powered by a 1968 1.5 HP Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine to make it immune to any nuclear and/or EMP attacks. Pulling the cord now...and again...and again...come on, you m$&h%#$7*@r, start! Ahh, there it is. A small cloud of pungent, unburned hydrocarbons and we're ready to go. Entering the parameters now. And the winner is...(Billy drumroll)...(Mickey pounding The Beast)... Onthebussince77 Congrats! Obviously, this morning's leak has rendered this whole music drop thing I had planned moot and largely pointless, but I'll still send Onthebussince77 a few goodies. Carry on and get your credit card limits in order!
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

Since the big news has leaked, any chance you can let us know when the announcement/onsale will happen? Being sure to get a copy is a big issue for anyone that's milling about in the comments section of a sold out item on a monday afternoon...
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 9 months

I, for one, find the new box set to be delightful news. Summer 1973 has yet to be represented on a single Dick's or Dave's, and this is a prime era that is in the highest possible demand. We all know about 6-22-73, but those other '73 shows are JUST AS GOOD. And, of course, one cannot say enough about the big jam on 5-19-74 (so I won't try!). I look forward to pre-ordering it once it becomes available. I may just purchase a second copy to show TBTB my undying gratitude and support. Dave has really outdone himself this time. Thankfully, the rumors of an early 80s set were unfounded (the tape quality just ain't there, man!). It's probably a bit too early for a requests for 2019, but if you're listening Dave, I'd love a June 1976 set (or Fall '72!). Ah, listen to me, you know what you're doing! Firing up Dave's Picks 21 in anticipation of this all-timer of a box!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 2 months

I can't wait! This set is going to be nothing short of a masterpiece :)
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 5 months

Well the key to this box will be whether they have the sbd to fill in the gap in the 6/22/73 jam.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

I just hope any box set has the option to purchase the download. My earthly burden is too heavy as it is.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

jk just anticipating complaints about the new box. but I reeeeeeally don't know how anyone could complain about it _at all_. I'll drive UberEats for the rest of my days to get the extra $$$ to pay for it. "Fetch hither the new release, my good Mr. Dave L."
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 9 months

Would be great if this box set is announced this week, being so close to Father's Day could work in my favor.
user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

1st - box looks great, sound should be a very nice improvement over what I have in stock. Two of the six dates I seem to have decent audience, the other 4, okay. Looking forward. A quick hit of 6/26/73 Here Comes Sunshine had Phil sounding very up front. The quick plug - just got in mail today a Frank Sinatra release. The family/foundation released 3 live shows from 66, 74 & 87. Nicely recorded, classic Frank. Was only 30 bucks.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Please explain the Muppets SE7EN spoof.What is the connection to the potential new Box? I say ‘potential’ since there has yet to be an official, internet-crashing announcement.
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Yet another late era Sinatra box set. Predictable set lists, shorter jams, and God knows who's on keyboard; we need a summer '52 box.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Yeah, the era where Frank sang with his head down, chin buried in his chest....
user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

I've been trying to catch up for a while on the thread and was going to post my last three listens, but then I saw the news about Doc, so I sent him an email instead. But back to my last three listens: PNE 6/22/73 PNE 6/22/73 PNE 6/22/73 Psyched for some more 73 and my quest for the ultimate Here Comes Sunshine...
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

LOL. Well played.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Trump should have handed Kim copies of FW69, Eur72, SSDD, and GSTL; and then told him to spend the next 120 days listening to them, and then they would meet again to hold Furthur talks.It would serve Trump well to listen to those shows too.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I'm going to go play with my dog(s).
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Why don't you go run for President. Show us all how smart you are.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

By trying to spread enlightenment to both leaders through FW69, Eur72, SSDD, and GSTL.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Politics as a career doesn't seem to appeal to people who are too smart. Unfortunately.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I had the good fortune to meet Wavy Gravy at a book signing (one afternoon long ago...one _evening_, actually.) ah, politics, a topic everyone loves.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

People who are smart get into politics, but I would say that the vast majority of them are lacking any kind of moral compass and have severely underdeveloped understandings of ethical quandaries. I'd blame it on the parents. I met Wavy a number of times at festivals on the East Coast (always Gathering of the Vibes as he was MC) and even got to spend some time with his pet trout that is always properly collared and leashed for public spaces. Very kind man and always willing to chat for awhile, even think I ran into him at the Furthur show in Golden Gate Park a few years back, but those memories are definitely mostly composed out of the psychedelic ether.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

I saw Wavy in the shoe and boot section of REI in Berkeley once. But alas, he had to go away empty handed, because they were all out of clown shoes.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

If this is true, than I am all in! There is some serious jamming throughout those shows! Someone below mentioned that the set will contain one Dark Star and two The Other Ones. By my calculations, and if the shows are indeed 6/22 and 6/24/73 and 5/17, 5/19, and 5/21/74, then I only count one The Other One. However, I do see that we would be getting three, count em' THREE, Money Money's! That is something! (I just hope that doesn't mean that the set will cost 3 x's the Money Money it should...) More leaks than the White House here in DeadLand :) Peace EDIT: Ah, I see I forgot 6/26/73 - There is the other The Other One :)
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

"The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."Adlai Stevenson I found that looking for this: (D)uring one of his presidential campaigns a woman called out to him: "Governor, you have the vote of every thinking person!". He (supposedly) responded "That's not enough, madam, we need a majority!" A bunch of quotes from this major figure in Mid-20th Century American politics can be found at https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Adlai_Stevenson . Lots of Will Rodgers-esque humor and some lofty ideals pithily stated. Worth a read, I think. "Unreason and anti-intellectualism abominate thought. Thinking implies disagreement; and disagreement implies nonconformity; and nonconformity implies heresy; and heresy implies disloyalty—so, obviously, thinking must be stopped. But shouting is not a substitute for thinking and reason is not the subversion but the salvation of freedom." (same guy)
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I'm right there with you.. It makes sense on a lot of levels.. and I believe it's the first geographic centric box set that spans time and sets a precedent for potential Greek Boxes, MSG Boxes, Frost Boxes, Fox Boxes, BCT boxes etc. Anyway.. they are some great shows here. I enjoyed the latest string of Dave's Picks from 73/74. This should be a step above.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Are both up for pre-order jsut booked mine now!
user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Ordering was as smooth as silk - easiest ordering for a new release I've ever had by far on dead net. Thanks folks for getting that all ironed out! Super super excited about this box! Good golly are we lucky! Thank you Dave!!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

Just ordered, how easy was that? it must be the quickest order that I have ever encountered on a website, nothing left to do but, Smile Smile Smile.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Man this box set dropped faster than ...than....than.... something fast. Like, yesterday it was just a glimmer in the eye and today its for reals. Looks nasty good. Sixtus
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Yes, it was very easy for me to order, too. Last time I had to go into town to use the librarys computer-this time I could order from home. Fantastic looking release, too!
user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

I guess now we can start complaining that online ordering has gotten tooooooo easy – before I knew it, I'd pulled the trigger on the box, the LPs, the 3CD set AND the t-shirt. Just too smoooooth. What was I thinking?
user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Hey now Dead freaks, I have 4 Dead and Co. tickets for sale if anybody wants them. I bought them earlier in the year thinking that I would have more travel time this summer, but sadly it's not working out. They are are field GA seats with hard copy 3D Souvenir tickets. I will mail the tickets to you at my expense, and I am only trying to get my money back that I spent. Below is copy of my receipt from Ticket Bastard.....$724.75 total. Please PM me if you are interested! Thanks in advance.....CaseyJanes Dead & Company Sat, Jun 30 @ 7:00 PM-Autzen Stadium - Eugene, OR Dead & Company Presale + 3D Collector Tix By Ticketmaster Verified Fan Sec GA3, (General Admission) USD $160.00 x 4 Fees USD $1.75 (Order Processing Fee) USD $19.00 (Service Fee) x 4 Ticket Delivery Standard Mail: Allow 10 to 14 days for delivery USD $7.00 USD $724.75
product sku