• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

The constant rehashing just doesn’t get us anywhere.And I never walked in Jerry’s shoes..... But he did die of a heart attack from smoking, diabetes, and bad food habits. Not heroin. Could have still turned out that way even if he never did heroin. It’s a well established medical fact that smoking, diabetes, and unhealthy food will kill you with a heart attack.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Huh??? Heroin wreaks havoc in the body as well, ESPECIALLY the heart!!! Yes even more than cigarettes. And chronic use can start a cascade of other MAJOR health issues. Look it up. Sorry, but saying "But he did die of a heart attack from smoking, diabetes, and bad food habits. Not heroin." is laughable. I'll spare you all the quotes from medical journals since I know you have google too, but I'll make you a deal: If you can find a legit study that says heroin use doesn't effect the heart or ravage one's overall health, (or that it's a lesser evil to your heart/overall health than cigarettes) I'll buy your next Dave's Picks subscription. (Quick- how many songs lament the dangers of cigarettes? same question re: heroin? I can hear the Stones now.... "Philip Mor-ris... couldn't drag me a-wayyyyy"). I say this with full respect - I don't mean to antagonize. it's just a topic I feel passionately about... as apparently do some other folks. I'll leave it at that before jfr68 has a heart attack himself.
user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

For this years MUATM they are playing a show that is already been released on Video and Audio.I am kind of baffled....and I don't think a dopey video previewing a box set is going to put people in those seats. You know at 7:15 EST the video of the boxset will be on YOUTUBE. So I am not sure I need to drive out to the theater when I can watch it in my home.....
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I am completely miffed as to this years choice of MUATM. I try and support them.. but I am not hopping in my car, driving to a theatre at a specific time and paying money for a movie I already have on DVD at home. Where I can crank it up, hit pause to pee, whatever. I am miffed at this one and expect ticket sales to be dismal.. so why would theatres take the risk next year and the year after when 2018 will most certainly have a poor turnout. I, too, am scratching my head on this one. If it's going to be a repeat.. I would rather it be the Beat Club from '72 that has not been released. Oh well..
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Heroin wreaks havoc on the body just as the other mentioned vices do.But Jerry died of a heart attack due to a clogged artery. No offense taken by your comments and I totally respect and support your desire to steer your kids away from heroin. That’s a drug I would never touch.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Have never attended before and certainly won’t this year.We all know that 7-19-89 exists in high quality. Yet they serve up leftovers? Edit: We also know that Brent’s last at Tinley Park exist. Edit2: And presumably any stadium show from 87 on probably exists too due to the use of the video projection screens during the show.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

1989... Again I'm not attending for 2 reasons 1/ I was at this show don't need to relive it. 2/ It's ANOTHER show from1989. I was hoping for either 8/4/76 or 11/24/78, but alas it wasn't meant to be. Needless to say for the first time EVER I'm disappointed with a GD selection.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I just figured it out.. MUATM's is going to be the only place they reveal the contents of this year's box set. So if we don't go, we have blindly pony up on the box set not knowing what it is. I get it now. Genius..
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....I touched heroin once. Tasted it. Walked the fuck away. edit. Lead me into the blind pony stable....
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

A few things: My understanding, from working around doctors for 2 decades and from Junkies being a significant portion of the patients I've worked around, is that Heroin is highly acidic. When "that heroin is in my blood" your blood is actually corrossive to some body tissue, including heart valves and liver and kidneys. Over time, this corrosion weakens your vasculature (including in the brain) and makes you more vulnerable to infections, strokes, cancer, etc. Arguing over whether Jerry's heart attack was diet or drug induced is not going to reach any definitive answer, just a choice of possibilities. Argue at your own peril. "(Junkies) generally look thin and scraggly." That is because committed users are usually spending virtually all their money on Heroin. A wealthy person with many wealthy parties interested in maintaining him, and with free time and good drug-connections, can use all the Heroin he wants while still living securely. Most junkies really die of poverty-related causes after Heroin use has driven them into poverty. Their weakened bodies are thrown into risky sex-work, street-sleeping, and living off dumpster-food. An infection at an injection site, aggravated by over-exposure to wet and cold, malnutrition, and a weakened immune system is a common cause of Junkie death (at least in the shadows of San Francisco). Without money, Jerry would have died a lot sooner. Without Heroin, Jerry would have lived a lot longer. Carry on.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....the Boyz weren't exactly the most exciting to watch. That's not the point at all. Unless you were in the first few rows. Different story. I'm really not quite sure what point I was trying to make. Carry on....
user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stpRIyHHw8g I apologize for such the goddamn long, rambling post in advance. I have always felt love here, as well as dissension, but isn't that life? No one is making you read this. Disengage if you wish. This forum has chosen me, not the other way around. I find it tired when folks who are done with the the same old boring conversation that leads nowhere feel the need to comment on it and continue the thread. William Burroughs and others have insisted that long time heroin use really has no direct detrimental effects on the body, if it is clean. Detractors, explain Keith Richards, Ozzy, and dozens of others... no wait, let me: plant-based derivatives like heroin and cocaine become much more toxic when cut by greedy asshole dealers who dilute these purer forms of recreational madness with cheap fillers. If your life is out of whack and you are looking for something to fill that hole, gambling is probably a worse idea. Or binge-eating, any drug, etc. If you have to obsessively engage in an activity to stabilize you, keep your demons at bay, etc., try exercise! Go swimming or buy a pair of running shoes. Man, it's 1,000 times better than drugs, overall. I just got home from Red Rocks, saw Ween. Not a great show, but great conversation with good friends. We drank whiskey, beer, and did a little blow, really face-numbing top-quality shit. Some in the party smoked the Devil's weed, though I did not (though, what a beautiful aroma). Go ahead, arrest me. I'll be gone by the time you get here, smirking at the airport with a vodka and OJ and low blood pressure. People just need to handle their business responsibly and not lose their way. A little bit of this and a little bit of that is probably the reason why God put it here, to find inspiration, to inspire great art and thinking outside the box: not for people like Jerry Garcia to completely lose their balance and become chronically overweight, diabetic, and generally unhealthy. Do not become a hog and a constantly-addicted overenjoyer of these things; ye allow these mood enhancers to elevate you. It's a slippery slope, but shit I see people fucking up DRIVING every day. Don't give these assholes easy access to hard drugs. But, don't fucking lock up those of us who are nonviolent, productive, generally benevolent and kind of helping this whole damaged game limp along... Drugs are just like guns, there are way too many of both around, and when they get into the hands of people who are damaged and unbalanced, and can't handle themselves at all, drugs or guns (God forbid both!) getting into their hands, horrible things can ensue. I love kids and I offer love to all of you. I find Buddhism not to be a religion, more just a philosophy. I don't subscribe to it, they don't ask me to send in money. Life, itself, here on this benign rock, constitutes animation of a physical being: from a blade of grass, to a rabbit, to a dog, then a human, is there not a general INVISIBLE to the naked eye animation frequency, a propulsion, that by our designed nature allows us to pick up upon how wide of a bandwidth we can receive? Like, a shrub is dumb and does nothing. Or, is it alive and perfectly brilliant because it cannot fail in it's limited programming, you know, it can't go throw a cigarette out the car window or vote republican in America. But it is alive, with the same God-inspired energy we have. Ah, to be a shrub. Ignorance is bliss. Vote for Trump or Pence and you'll get to come back as one, get pissed on by a dog. This love comes from God, people. God is a girl and she is hot. She is so clever and nice, she gave us incarnated in this go-round as men a chance with our testosterone-induced momentum a shot at, you know, nailing her. Shit! It works. The Grateful Dead knew this. The whole Man Smart, Woman Smarter thing perfectly aligns with natural selection. When my woman lays down for me, I'm a real nice docile fellow for a few days. Wash, rinse, repeat. Ladies I revere your patience, your tolerance for our shortcomings, our failures, and in some case our rather vile physical shortcomings. Understand now, woman is God? All of the best art in all genres has been produced, for our benefit, by geniuses who were by their very nature tortured just to be here, and their dynamic expression of self through their chosen medium (paint, literature, music, etc) was more of a control release valve to keep themselves sane and on this plane for as long as they could. Many eventually killed themselves anyway, whether directly or indirectly. Van Gogh comes to mind. Edgar Allan Poe. Chris Cornell. I have kids too young to read this. I don't want your older kids to read this and think I'm advocating anything. Kids, stay in school and don't do drugs. You are beautiful, with your whole life ahead of you, don't go down that rabbit hole. You may or may not climb out. I advocate personal responsibility and some kind of moderation. If you lack the control gene, don't eat, drink, smoke, snort, inject, or fuck anything not FDA approved. It will lead you down the path of ruin. I'm done sipping my last whiskey, I'm tired, and I have a plane to catch tomorrow. The next day, when I wake up fresh and go running, I'll look at the sun streaming through the trees and work up a good sweat and it could be months before I party again. I used to be excessive, but now I'm just around it a little. Putting on some Bob Marley now, low and slow... things like Three Little Birds, Jammin, oh - and Judge Not.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

First off apologies to jrf and anyone else who finds the subject boring. It seems to me to a subject that will inevitably crop up here from time to time, as various drug cultures were fundamental to The Deads career. If you took drugs out of the bands history, you would have a very different band. I also hope not to offend anyone with what I say.. I agreed with Seth' comments on the risks associated with heroin use-particularly the impact of poverty on heroin use. I also worked with addicts for 20 years-and another common cause of death was fluctuating strengths of the drug. Additional dangers occurred due to the drug being cut with other dangerous substances-anything from barbiturates to violin polish round here. Both these risks are relieved by the prescribing of opiates-at least then people know what they are getting. Actually this applies to all illegal drugs. Two young people died at a festival here in England last weekend after taking ecstasy that was far, far too strong for their systems to cope with. Another common cause of death with heroin is injecting after a period of abstinence, when your body has lost its tolerance. Also... existing drug laws-they just don't work!
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

The choice of 7/7/89 caught me by surprise. It IS a rewarding show with a great setlist. But it's curious they do a retread instead of breaking new ground. My guess is this is not a big revenue event for them and therefore tough to justify all the production costs/hassle - easier to just take something that's already been released and put it on the big screen. I wonder if future MUATMs will be the old "View From the Vault" releases from 15-18 years ago. Why not? 4 Great shows. I'd certainly go...
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I'm sure you're right. They have not figured out how to market DVDs or if they even fit their cost and revenue models. Otherwise they would have surely added a DVD option to the recent RFK box set. We know the videos exist. It left me and the other 214.5 people that would have coughed up extra $$ for the video a bit disappointed. I have to think they are cutting off their nose to spite their face on this one. This years MUATM's will surely be a box office bomb which can't do anything but create problems down the line. Movie theater execs no nothing of these details but they will surely notice attendance when deciding if they are on board in 2019. They seem to be half-in on this one which never ends well. Being half-in doesn't prevent the pregnancy, go big or go home.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

This retread release may signal a loss of faith/commitment to the MUATM model, and any fall-off in box office receipts will only accelerate that. Hope not. As I've said before, I doubt they'll ever issue another DVD, since that format peaked in 2008 and streaming music actually surpassed traditional formats last year. But a viable business model for archival concert streaming remains elusive. (Having a Star trek overacting flashback... "It's worse than that, DVD sales are DEAD, Jim!")
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

fillmore west Electric-SET 1 Morning Dew Me & My Uncle Casey Jones Dancing in the Streets Next Time You See Me China Cat > I Know You Rider Electric-SET 2 Drums >Good Lovin> Drums > New Orleans > Good Lovin > Attics of My Life Direwolf > Alligator > Drums > Alligator > Lovelight > Not Fade Away > Lovelight E: Uncle John's Band https://archive.org/details/gd70-06-06.sbd.ashley.2172.sbeok.shnf/gd70-…
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

So out of a little bit of resentment, I actually put on this DVD last night with the aim of at least getting through the Scarlet > Fire (the show highlight in my eyes). On my 70 inch screen I did notice that the video quality could indeed use some upgrading/fidelity - which it seems they are poised to do. The sound was actually pretty good, but a little low on the bass at the start of the first set. All in all it is a good show but I am completely baffled as to the choice here for MUATM. As others have noted, why would I pay money to go sit in a theater when I have the very same thing at home? The box set announcement is definitely not "the lure" for me that perhaps they may think - as others have pointed out, any video of this will be publicly available within hours (minutes?) of any reveal. A head scratcher, for sure. And what about Gainesville? Sixtus
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

there is the camaraderie, too (and the novelty of it) ironic about the sound: last year the sound at my theater was f'd up, to say the least. skips, drop-outs, etc. not a big fan of GD post-85, but hey, it'll sound good. "let it blow let it blow let it blow let it blow my ribcage jail cell" (turn down the perky knob a bit, bro). ah, the GD. 7/18/2018 marks 40 years of the LST
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Months ago when some of us were requesting more video, marye responded that TPTB didn’t seem to think that it was worth the trouble. I think it is worth the trouble, at least for Winterland 74, Radio City Music Hall 80, etc. If they aren’t going to commercially release the video from 87-95, then give it to us for free. We are willing to pay, leaving it untouched in the vault is a bad plan. I’ll buy it on BluRay, others will pay to stream it. If TPTB don’t want to expend the effort to make a commercial release then just upload the raw footage to YouTube.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

Shirdeep - check out the 6/7/70 show; the band has never sounded more listless (actually asking the audience what they want to hear). They disastrously debut 'Sugar Magnolia' and while Deadbase 50 lists a 'Louie Louie' jam it's only PL doing a 'Louie Louie' tease, which the audience favorably picks up on right away only to have BW say "Give us a break guys, we don't know the song." C'mon Bob, every garage band (or at least Phil) knows that song, it's only 2 dang chords! On a positive and historical note: the acoustic 1st set is worth a listen (they end it with 'New Speedway Boogie') but what makes it historically interesting is they open the electric set with TIFTOO. After the 1st 'Cryptical' you can hear a commotion that turns out to be a woman giving everyone grief because they're sitting around and partying and not doing enough to stop the war (remember Vietnam was raging at that point). The band quiets down enough to let her have her say or more likely they just wanted to know what was occurring, then transition into TOO. MUATM: at the bottom of the page it has 'Special Fathom Features: Exclusive Look At The Limited Edition 2018 Box Set.' Anybody check it out yet?
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

nice box set there although I don't think there is a Dark Star more Dark Stars, please
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

why are the women (in my family) SO SLOW to get out the door in the morning? movie quote: "inconceivable!"
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

They'll announce the box much sooner than MUATM ... MUATM will have one of those 2-minute promos showing some guy opening the box and showcasing what's inside.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

I would bet they do it soon too. Perhaps around the 4th of July, if not before. They have already made the selection.. It's either being Normanized or slated to be Normanized.. they are deciding on the packaging and layout. Why wait?
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Wow, you all been busy here the last few days. Unfortunately I’ve only had time to peak in from time to time.....Schlepping books & furniture; Packing/moving/emptying house so as to be able to show/sell.....also was partying hard at our little town 4th annual Bonfire Brewing block party... (sorry, you tube offline? So no link....) zxtttxz; Shoreline; love it but I think I liked the layout and vibe at Cal Expo better? How bout a 6/8-10 and 15-18/90 box, sans 16th as that was released.... Jim et el; like many, I was starting to move on by the time it ended. Hell I always tried to catch as many shows “as reasonably possible” but that meant having to balance regular life/work/money etc so my numbers were never huge.... As the music started to suffer, and the scene was often too big and too lame, and I was returning to collage in my thirties, I had began a natural progression that was basically I didn’t go unless it was easy/close and/or it was at a place I really dug. So really stopped traveling etc by 93....only saw 6 shows between 93 and the end.... When JG died it was hard, but it was almost a relief, like “ok, that’s over, now I can move on....” Which it sounds like you did also? I Actually worked merch on 96 Furthur Fest and would check in at easy/local other ones, dead, P&F etc.....but generally I switched gears big time, especially with my listening habits....so really was only interested in getting/hearing shows I was at....was kinda burnt on the dead for a while.... But due to my merch connections, I’ve been fortunate to see many great P&F, Futhur, the dead etc shows over the years at these awesome CO venues that I unfortunately did not see the GD at. ....will see D&C again in Boulder because it’s only a couple hours away, I have free lodging, and don’t have to drive etc. it’s also been (so far) a super chill vibe....though it is tough having to purchase tix after so many years of VIP etc, don’t think the actual tix are too outrageous compared to mainstream acts (same as they always were), but th3 service charges are a f#&*4$ joke! So although “it’s not the same”, I’ve actually seen some music on occasion that was as good as or better than some of the dead’s lackluster outings. Some of the late 90s P&F shows at the Philmore were amazing; Viola Lee, St Stephen, Dark Star etc, stuff we didn’t get to see live much, or at all! and I always thought Warren did a great job with the old blused based stuff, pigpen and even some Brent tunes. So why go? Jim said it all nicely; of course it’s not the same, was it ever? So what, it’s still fun and great to hang with all y’all and the music still kicks ass, PERIOD! It always has been worth the effort, and usually what ever they give us is still way better then most of the other crap out there, that costs even more, in shitty venues, with obnoxious, clueless crowds! I don’t see how people can dig phish so much but diss D&C? It’s a shame so many of you seem imho, closed minded about bands/eras etc,....it’s all been great some way or another! Even the FTW cash grab.... Same thing logistically with that; was not going to by tix, planes, hotels etc to go to Chicago (no offense) and stand in the back of a stadium etc. and Trey.....nothing against the dude, and he did a great job of trying to do an impossible job with no practice etc, but they could of done so much better.... I think they should of had a cast of guitar players; Warren for a bit, perhaps Trey for a couple, Campbell, Jimmy, helll they should of let Kimock up there too. I really think if you look at all the guys that have played the Guitar over the ensuing years, Trey was perhaps the least choice. Again, nothing against him! I really think they should of had junior Jerry. Imho, I think the Furthur lineup was one of the best, and that’s saying something because all the various groups were good.... I think Bill dissing John K.was so lame and rude...what, Trey wasn’t a “fake Jerry” in a cover band, how ironic! Let’s face it, they were worried they weren’t going to fill that giant stadium 3 nights, so they thought bringing in Trey, and Hornsby would help fill seats.....of course who knew there’d be such demand. But as I think icecrmcnkd said, just the tip etc. unfortunately they were not prepared enough, and a “tour” or perhaps a location or 2 of more blocks of shows would of perhaps been better all the way around? But again, it was still great, and lots of fun gathering with the crew and watching, I remember really enjoying the whole process and vide leading up too etc., THAT part was just as fun as the old days. I personally really like the SC “60s” show even if it was more sloppy than Chi town... One of these days there will be little or nothing to go see/hear and then all y’all will really have something to bitch about. ICECRMCNKD et el; I liked your comment about it did not matter as much about the rest of the band, but if one of the three guys with guitars in hand left there would be no GD. I think that’s really the crux of the thing....and as far as the band without Jerry....I think Phil said they were all like spokes on a wheel, but Jerry was the center frame that held it all together.... DAVEROCK; agree with...artists, hell many creative people, even just shrubs like some of us, no matter how well we do our jobs or whatever, there can be the feeling that we could of done better...... I build/design/install custom AV systems and Racks for the rich and sometimes famous, and no matter how well I do, I can always point out ways it could have been better! You often hear musicians, even the dead, say that it just kills them when they know they sucked, but people go nuts anyway......when I played people would do that after shows, and it was sometimes hard to be nice etc, like “what, are you kidding me? Did you actually hear any of that dog shit?” But of course as a musician you should never lose sight of the fact that if these nice people did not support your band, you’d have no gig! SETH BOX; “unlike anything we’ve done before....” that is very interesting isn’t it? How about making whole tours available, but letting us say pick seven shows of our choice? Could market it like different levels of product at different price points, depending on how much someone is into it etc..... Ok, back to work.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Indeed, Mr Stoltzfus, Tao, tap, tap, is thing turned on.....”WE NEED MORE DARK STARS”TOO is great and all, but it’s not Dark Star! The one, the only, the omnipotent GD at its best!
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

"It’s a shame so many of you seem imho, closed minded" It's really annoying when people call other people close minded when they disagree with their tastes.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I think the connection Jerry had with Brent really had a lot to do with his perhaps giving up a bit....Just watch the 89/90 videos and it’s like they have a bromance going on. The looks and smiles back and forth, which coincidentally are during some of the bands best work EVER! (Go ahead and hate 70s only crew!) He did it sometimes with Bruce, but not so much with Vince. Eventually it seemed like Jerry mostly turned his back completely on Vince, body language doesn’t lie.... I think they should of taken time off after Brent died, like they did in 74-76. I realize about the corporation etc, but when he died most everyone lost their job anyway, so that didn’t work out so well did it? Yeah Brent and Jer had this great bond and not only did he lose his Keyboardist, he lost yet another Brother, and perhaps how he died etc being such a waste, maybe that really bummed JG out too.... Many here bash on Brentski, but more and more the band etc say what a great singer and player he was. Yes, just like ALL THE OTHERS he too had some quirks and when he was bad, well....but you name any show, from any era, and I can find stuff that is ruff, or poorly sang/played!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I’m not dissing your taste. We’ve had this discussion here before. I think Jim summed it up; we all have favorites etc, that’s great, but let’s face it, I read here almost everyday where people say stuff like “ I won’t listen to anything after 80....” that imho, is being closed minded......saying you won’t listen to D&C cause there’s no Phil, imho is closed minded. I’m talking about extreme black or white thinking that unfortunately permeates our society today.It’s ok to see things in gray, it does not all have to be all or nothing, does it? For many, one of the great things about the dead was being open to the beauty and magic that is present in all things, it’s just a matter of perspective. I’ve been turned on to more things that have nothing directly to do with the dead, and that chances are I would not have been turned on too, if not for this GD cultural openness.... It’s a free country, and I would never tell anyone what to do or not do. I just feel sad for folks who totally dismiss stuff, and thus miss out, sometimes without even trying is all I meant.....I know this because we’ve all done this at some point, and I know I have regrets because I was closed minded about stufff.... I’ve never been a huge fan of the “Mickey Godchaux” band. Doesn’t mean I don’t like it etc., just not MY favorite, but thanks to all y’all and my opening my mind a bit, I’ve been able to have a new appreciation for this era, where at times I totally closed my self off from this great music...... Sorry, never meant to insult... Peace!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

At some point during VW's time with the band H had to enter the picture again. Heroin, by it's very nature, makes one insular...the importance of everyone and everything diminishes the deeper their addiction(s) becomes. It could be as simple (and sad) that JG &VW just didn't have enough 'clean' playing time together.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

Well Of course there WILL BE A BOX SET THIS YEAR....heck, it says it on the MUATM info. Not sure if the bolo just likes being cute or a constant tease....I think its pretty obvious the BOX SET will be another SUMMER '89 box set with 7/7/89 as one of the shows. Last year the MUATM show was 7/12/89, which was announced as the DC'89 BOX Set a short time later....I'm assuming same situation with the 2018 MUATM showing of 7/7/89....and by the way 1989 multi-track recorded shows are just about the pinnacle of the GD (although SPRING 1990 is right there also)!! Now if the rumors of a FALL '80 Box Set turn out to be true, then OH JOY!!
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

It's all good man! Still, I think there's a difference between "I won't listen to anything after 1980", and "I listened to post 1980, and I don't like it"(not my opinion, btw...saw some great shows in the 80s) I am however being close minded when it comes to food: some ppl swear by tripes and sweetbread, still I refuse to try it. Just like I love steak tartare, but my wife refuses to try it. I digress...it's lunchtime in the Bay Area.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Indeed, no doubt about that, but....My understanding was JG wasn’t fully back off the wagon until??....whenever, supposedly not until awhile after the new lineup. In fact, wasn’t that partially why Bruce left? Wasn’t early 90s when he was diving and being healthy, and playing great music with others i.e., Grisman So with that timeline I think one could argue that there could be other variables BEFORE the H became an overwhelming factor again. I think perhaps the idea that perhaps they had made a bad choice, or not taking a break, combined with all that loss he was suffering, could have been a factor for his giving up and maybe thinking “fug it, this ain’t happing no more so why not” I know, that’s still Junkie logic, but.... When your that tight with musicians, it’s like being married to several people. It can be an indescribable bond. Night after night your used to your “partner” being there for good or for ill, then all of a sudden their not, and the dude there instead perhaps ain’t doing “it” for you....well, people go back to drugs for a lot less. Then factor in all the other losses; Kieth, Pig, Sonny, Bill G, etc......
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Point taken, your logic is correct, and the food analogy helps.I guess I’m biased by the ASSUMPTION, gulp, that most of the folks into the dead, like their music, or “that kind of food” already, so to not even give some things they haven’t tried a chance is sad. Its not like we’re talking about diehard Motörhead fans say, who won’t even think of listening to the Dead... and hey, “ it doesn’t matter anyway” right?
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

RIP to the last living Munchkin from Oz, Jerry Maren, passed away on May 30th. He was 98 years old. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Maren In related news.. the last living Oompa-Loompa, Oompgustus Owlsley Loopa III, having serious health issues of his own, finally came clean solving the nearly 50 year old riddle of who brought the brown acid to Woodstock. "The guilt was too much" he said, we just dipped some white paper in the chocolate river and traded it for kind veggie burritos in the parking lot. The whole thing just got away from us. I apologize for any minds we might have loompafried.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Thanks Jeff,Been really enjoying this. Love old tales from the Good ole days..... Can’t wait for number three...
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

“ it’s either being Norminized, or is slated to be,...they are deciding the packaging and layout. Why wait”Why indeed my good man? Maybe deep down Dave suffers from some horrible neurosis whereby he only feels pleasure the more we suffer ; )
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

there's probably some economic strategy exactly when to announce or maybe they just like to watch us squirm...far out, man.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

It could be something as simple as getting the web developers attention to build the new web interface or perhaps Dave's video camera was eaten by a Kraken or stolen by an angry bird or something. I bet it's an administrative delay of some sort. After all.. they have a captive audience, why stress it. I bet we can find a way to pass the time. We could taunt and torment Dave repeatedly until we get our seaside chat.. pinking on Pinkus never hurts. Raid the vault?
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

...will like the new box. "They" heard you.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Portchester '71 would work. 2/18 exits the stratosphere with plenty of inertia to go to Jupiter and beyond... and it's multi-track so it would bet the box set treatment.
product sku