• 2,395 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Diggey
    Default Avatar

If anyone is looking for this or any of this year's Dave's Picks, shoot me a PM. $25 plus shipping. The bonus disk is an additional $25.

• cheyler196
    Default Avatar
    I was wondering what the solution might be to this problem. If the bonus disc came with the edits necessary to re-assemble the show in the correct running order, it would be difficult to listen to it 'as-is'. Re-assembling the show from the disc as-released also makes for difficult listening. Listening to the show out-of-sequence is OK but not optimum. The only real solution is to make the files available digitally. Give a unique one-use download code to each purchaser and allow the download of the files with the necessary edits. Given the limited nature of the releases and the speed at which they sell out, this couldn't possibly affect sales and would definitely reduce the complaining.
  • alvarhanso
    What a fantastic show and fantastic recording! Combine this and DaP 21 4/2/73, and Rex has two of the best sounding tapes released. And the performance matches the pristine recording here more than 21, IMO. The Other One (both halves) have great jams, Wharf Rat is a strong '71 version, NFA> GDTRFB> NFA is ridiculously raucous, and we get almost an entire other show as a bonus! This is the Pick of the year for me so far. 25 is a good show with three truly great renditions of songs, the first two, and second set closer, otherwise a good show. This show SMOKES and the bonus is a good show; the best aspect of it is the side by side comparison one has for Keith lineup and Keith and Pig, with nearly identical setlist choices.
  • Mind-Left-Body
    This is a great recording.
  • Born Cross Eye…
    This thread is quieting down after the announcements of the North West Pacific 73-74 box and Dave's Picks 27. I suspect it be removed from public view like the threads for Dave's Picks 17 thru 24 have been taken down, away from public view.Yet, at this posting I can read the threads for DaP 13 - 16. Why?
  • icecrmcnkd
    I’ll need some L-Dopa, 5-HT, NE, and BDNF to process
  • Born Cross Eye…
    Well, I was wrong as were the 70's *mafia*
    I don't recall seeing any calls for an 80's show on these two comment boards - this DaP 26 or the NW '73 - '74 box comments boards. Oh well, no big deal. I used to have this 9/2/83 as an audience tape set and a fine one to boot. I got rid of it (and many other GD tapes) when I was downsizing in the mid 2000's during a move from one domicile to another. A very good show, if I recall correctly.
  • mbarilla
    F%CK YES The GODS have spoken September 2, 1983 excited for this release and a few in particular LLR ~ Deal plus Estimated Eyes and Throwing Stones, really all of it but especially interested in these a few weeks back i pulled out Dicks Picks 6 Smoking hot "They LOve Each Other" ~ Estimated Eyes this one is going to be a HEATER , time for a stroll with Mary Jane cool cover art for number 27, number 26 was awesome artwork too , looks great while sun was sinking low
  • Mr. Jack Straw
    Default Avatar
    http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/daves-picks-volume-27
  • mbarilla
    Would love a show from this year, if the Rhinos go with 1983 performance I wouldn't be surprised if it's 10.17.83 from Lake Placid, New York 1983 - 1984 release would be near the top of my request list , March and April have some gems
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

The unexpected return of the masters of the Grateful Dead's triumphant show at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium, November 17, 1971, yields great rewards. The Dead came in HOT for their first New Mexico show. Aided by clarity and precision and abetted by confidence and focus, they finessed old standards with definitive takes. With Keith now blending in seamlessly on keys, the first set offered up a triple shot of electric Blues, an exceptional "You Win Again," and a stellar "One More Saturday Night" to wrap things up. And the second set, well, it might just be unlike any you've ever heard. Archivist David Lemieux urges you to turn it up and do it loudly. We won't dare spoil all the surprises, but pay special attention to the rippin' "Sugar Magnolia," the aggressively monstrous "The Other One," and the highly-danceable "Not Fade>GDTRFB>Not Fade." Rounding out the 3CDs, you'll find selections from Pigpen's return tour at Ann Arbor, MI, 12/14/71. Subscribers will get nearly all of the complete show as this year's bonus disc.

As always, Dave's Picks Volume 26 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the original analog tapes by Jeffrey Norman and is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Been doing June 76 in the car this week, June 77 at home. A June 76 Box would really be nice. As far as Box Sets go, we are kind of lacking in the 76 realm. 6-14-76 and 6-29-76 are my favs of that month
user picture

Member for

15 years 1 month

Afternoon Rockers!In honor of Doc if anyone needs the Winterland 77 shows send me a PM Matt (include your email address)
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I was listening to it in sequence during December and January then stopped halfway through 5/11/72 because I wanted perfect conditions for the Dark Star und so weiter...early June I finally got back to it. 5/13/72 5/16/72 5/18/72 and then 4 London dates like luscious auditory maidens, they await. :)))
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Although I've already given y'all completely unambiguous clues as to the set's identity, I figured we should have a little fun with an easy contest. Winner will receive...wait for it...one mp3 song (archive version) from the box set. How awesome is that?? It'll be the most exclusive listening party in the history of mankind! Yeah, I know, no monetary value like my other giveaways. But, the winner will have the satisfaction of knowing something about the set before the rest of the universe. Value: priceless!! To enter: send me a PM no later than midnight Sunday, June 10 (pacific time). I'll randomly pick the winner on Monday morning. One entry per screen name, which must have been created before June 8, 2018. By entering, recipient swears on Garcia's missing finger not to share the song with anyone else, or offer a guess on this or any other forum as to the origin of the song. I mean it! I reserve the right to cancel this contest immediately if TPTB threaten me with the Shatner torture - I'd never survive it!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

Love the idea of sharing in honor of all Doc does for the folks on the board (me included). While it's not as sexy as the winterland 77 shows, I've been listening recently to a bunch of great summer 90 shows that I'd love to share with anyone who may be interested (hey variety is the spice of life). Sound quality is great (thanks Charlie Miller).If anyone wants any or all of the following, reach out: 6/15/90 6/23/90 7/8/90 7/14/90 7/22/90
user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

I didn't even recognize the MUATM was a show I have on cd and dvd until catching up on this thread.I just assumed it was unreleased. I don't know what's more messed up: my ignorance or TPTB's laziness. I still might go for the group vibe though.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

If Lemmy was still with us, I am sure he would say that Motorhead were rock n' roll, not heavy metal (sounds bit Spinal Tap). I never saw them live-and I didn't much care for the one album I had by them-"Overkill"-but they made half a dozen great singles-including that one with Girlschool-the Johnny Kidd and the Pirates cover "Please Don't Touch". Yes...rock n' roll-and bad to the bone.
user picture

Member for

6 years

I was pulling the "woman having a baby" banter for my Dead Banter compilation, and got com0letely blown away by this show. It's a Keith and Jerry fest, no punches pulled. They didn't sound like this in 74 or 76. They didn't even quite sound like this on One from the Vault. This is a unique masterpiece.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

another fine Motorhead album one man's "awesome" is another man's "didn't much care" fascinating "we are Motorhead, and we play rock and roll"
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

every so often I read stories of people saying things like, "I sat onstage at Jerry's feet the whole show", "Jerry gave me a ride home", "Jerry told the police that he wouldn't play (city of your choice) again", "Jerry invited me to his pool party", "Jerry invited me to play Theramin onstage with them at Woodstock", etc. I call shenanigans. Meeting Jerry backstage? that is plausible. Jerry giving you a backrub? doubtful.
user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Can anyone speak authoritatively on the best versions of this song and what makes them different from one another? When I put this song on, I hear a great performance every time, devoid of nuance or speciality. This is largely because I haven't listened to any version more than say a half a dozen times. I'm interested in putting together a greatest hits compilation for my fourth of July party, and it's never too soon to get started.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

2/9/732/17/73 (segues into China Rider) 12/19/73 8/22/93 plenty of others; these four come immediately to mind
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

fate brought this one around last evening on Youtube. all in all, a good album. If it had had a trippy cover, and a more cryptic title, it might be better known and appreciated. Alabama Getaway Althea Feel Like a Stranger Don't Ease Me In (yes, DEMI) Brent's two tunes are fine, too. LS>SOC is ok.
user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

check it out, people
user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

June 1976 would be a cool set to have right around this time of year, really hope 6.19.76 is included , here is a peak at portion of 2nd set from that night High Time Let It Grow > Drums > Let It Grow Dancing In The Street > Drums > Cosmic Charlie Around And Around > !!!!! Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad > !!!!! One More Saturday Night Orpheum Theatre has a few more cool shows that would be nice to have in box set as well, 7.13.76 with Mississippi Half-Step opener , heading to Saratoga Springs at some point on Sunday, I will certainly be taking the Dave's Picks 18 with me from July 1976, hopefully it plays in car cd player, still having troubles with that LOL, good thing for an old ipod and usb port , got a 1974 Playing in the Band spinning for when the car starts up next time. Hoping to make the jump to 1976 Playing in the Band, those are really caarispy
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

If Bolo is going to pass someone an MP3 of a track from the box, it should be a simple exercise to figure out the era, if not the exact date. If that's the case, and the winner is "sworn to secrecy," that means the box set announcement is imminent, cuz around here, we have no secrets. This place is like a leaky sieve.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

GTH = Great album except: 1) Cover is disco cheddar, 2) End of Feel Like a Stranger just goes "pfffft!" rather unmusically - I'd love to know the story behind that mistake. This cover photo is the last photo of Jerry where he wasn't a complete mess until 1987 when he finally cleaned himself up after the coma. Makes me sad when I see it because they were on SUCH a roll with the new guy and it seemed like there was more good stuff to come, but alas the next seven years is characterized by addiction, physical decline, and musical stagnation... and YES there were some great shows but they were poorly recorded..... The "lost decade". HCSunshine - 12/19/73 (DP1) has to be the all-time best version - long, confident, with same crazy Jerry moments toward the end. But many others are great as well: 5/26/73, 6/10/73, and 6/22/73.... However 3/28/73 (DaP16) is a shorter version and has a few stumbles in it, if I recall. Not bad, but certainly not their best. For late-era versions, you MUST check out 3/24/93! That one cooks - uncharacteristically powerful and confident for the era.
user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

What the heck...in addition to the song, I'll send the winner some stuff from my stack o' GD goodies. BTW, the winner will be randomly selected by an online random number generator, so it will be completely random. Random, that is!
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Tired, stayed up til 3 am watching the free Phil stream. Resulted in overconsumption of beer. That’s a pretty good rock n roll/blues band Phil has there. Lots of good covers. There’s another free stream tonight. Scroll down to my post from last night for the links.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Its not short on fire power, that's for sure! I have another Motorhead album that I always did like, which I forgot about. Its called "No Remorse" and it's a double album- compilation of tracks up to about 1984, when it came out. But-get this-the actual sleeve is made of black leather. With a silver monster embossed on the front. One of the coolest looking albums I have. There wasn't much released in 1984 that could touch that one.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Yes, one of the best shows in 30 Trips. Actually, I like all the 1975 shows. I recently got the Snack Benefit show from 23rd March-one of those radio broadcasts. It sounds terrible (that'll teach me), but there truly isn't another show like it, with both Merl Saunders and Ned Lagin adding colours to the Blues for Allah jam.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

73, 76, 77 A great selection to choose from.
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Butch my favorite tends to be 5/26/73 and what draws me in is Keith. He keeps going back and forth between keyboards and piano the whole song, and something about it just works..... Hope that helps.. bob t
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

If Bolo is dropping a track from the new box on someone on Monday, the announcement comes soon after. Whether the wiener -- I mean, the winner -- comes forward with the track or not, we'll do that Twilight Zone self-frothing and then comes the news. Think about the fine pickle he'll put that person in. The winner will have to decide whether to sing like a canary or lurk in the dark in fear of crossing Bolo. If there's a chance of getting blocked from ordering the box, any sane person would have to think twice. But my own fear would be that he shows up on the doorstep dressed like his avatar. I say, announcement on Tuesday.
user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

An announcement on 6-14 that 6-14-76 was part of the Box would be just exactly perfect. A June 76 Box is what I would like, although I don’t see how bacon plays into that. On the other hand, I always thought the muppets clip hint/diversion was more about 7 being a relevant number than bacon being relevant (the relevance of bacon was that Mrs Piggy was dead). 7 shows from 6/76 Bring it on!!!!
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 2 months

Always mentioned that fall 1973 is one of the four must have tours with Europe 72 May 77 Spring 90. Bolo said no pig and somebody was going to be happy who wanted Dark Stars. 7 shows after Dicks picks 19 unreleased. Maybe the peak of the Dead.
user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

"Could be soon" My wild long shot guesses: 1969 box: My 1969 pick would be a long shot for this year - The April Ark Boston shows. Playing on the 50th anniversary theme, it would more appropriate to release this reasonably priced box in 2019. Also the 50th annv. of Aoxomoxoa will be released in June of 2019, which will include a 1968 show edit or a '69 show edit as the 2nd disc. 1973 box: Several summer 1973 shows. 1976 box: several summer 1976 shows. A Greek 80's box.
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

PHISH, FRIDAY 06/09/2000 ON AIR EAST Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan SET 1: Axilla > Taste, Billy Breathes, Poor Heart > Golgi Apparatus > Funky Bitch, The Moma Dance > First Tube > Chalk Dust Torture SET 2: Tweezer, Bouncing Around the Room[1], The Mango Song, The Squirming Coil > Gotta Jibboo > Meatstick[2] > Tweezer Reprise ENCORE: You Enjoy Myself [1] Brief outro solo from Trey, which replaced the usual closing guitar lick. [2] First Meatstick to feature Japanese lyrics. The Moma Dance included Funky Bitch teases and Tweezer included Funk #49 teases. This was the first ever Meatstick to feature Japanese lyrics and Trey flubbed the words while attempting to sing them. Bouncing included a brief outro solo from Trey, which replaced the usual closing guitar lick. This show was re-broadcast on Japanese television.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I don't recall 2009 being that weird!
user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I don't recall 2009.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

6/09/17, Tedeschi Trucks Band. Our heroes are mostly gone, but here's the real deal. Just go to Archive.org, All artists, Tedeschi Trucks Band, 2017-06-09. Recorded from a handful rows back. Go deh!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

....if nothing else, their album covers kick ass. Orgasmatron anyone?
user picture

Member for

6 years

jerry poured me a bowl of cereal, jerry helped me file my taxes, jerry taught me how to parallel park, played super Mario 3 with me that one time....
user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

A tough hit. One of the toughest in a long time. Watching old episodes of Parts Unknown. Just cool stuff. Very disturbing trend in suicides. Sorry for your guys Vguy. Toughest trophy in all of sport. Ovechkin deserved it. All that needs to be said. Most of all, best to Doc. Top guy on this site.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Really good Cumberland Blues and Big River's seem to have the same effect on me. Especially when they stretch them out. Great little first set jam vehicles (and I guess the occasional second set). Try not to tap your feet or move something.. in fact, I believe it's impossible to stay perfectly still when they are really getting it. Or perhaps that's not Juniper I taste in my gin. Whatever.. both great tunes and to me have a similar tempo and feel when they are really getting it.
user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Surprised no one's mentioned this yet but RIP Danny Kirwan. He may not be Peter Green but he made some nice contributions to The Mac both with Green and after. Phil said in an interview that he basically plagiarized Passenger from Station Man. Some other good songs from Kirwan: Coming Your Way, Sunny Side of Heaven, Sands of Time, Bare Trees. I'd love to hear anyone else's favorites. Fleetwood Mac had to have the most bizarre history of any rock band I can think of and that includes Danny Kirwans myriad of problems.
user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Good morning rockers!!! Don’t all excited. Put your hard drives away. I’m not coming back. But because of the foolish actions of a few, I now have to come back and “explain”. The following may be harsh, so if you have a weak stomach, change the channel now…………….. Imagine my surprise and bewilderment when I hear from secondary sources that a well intentioned but misguided individual feels it’s his prerogative to post what I naively believed was a personal and confidential communication, the posting of which has caused me significant distress and embarrassment. Thanks Phil Carson, thanks for your bad judgement, bad form, and bad kharma. Next time you feel like airing somebodys dirty laundry in public without knowing all the facts, maybe you’ll mind your own business and keep your mouth shut. The only real meaning to be gleaned from all this is that I can never trust you again. So be it…………. And by the way, thanks for all the subsequent posts, which read more like a series of obituaries than well earned accolades. Creepy, just plain creepy……………… I started a self-imposed sabbatical back in January. During that time, PRIOR to my stroke, I had pretty much decided I was not coming back to deadnet. I had no intention to post a teary farewell message, instead preferring----like many other old timers here have done----to merely fade away without significant fanfare. But because an arrogant few think that because I’ve chosen to resign from this shared madness of ours that I must be suffering from some mental disease or defect, now I have to give “reasons”. So here are just a few, if you take offense be a dear, be an adult and deal…… *** Regardless of the topic, the threads are dominated by a small group of people who, while very well intentioned, keep saying the same thing over and over. This gets old quickly………… *** “Dave’s Pick (fill in the number here) sucks, I could do a much better job picking shows for release”. No, you couldn’t. Let’s be real----we’re incredibly blessed that a large portion of the Dead’s career was well recorded, and we’ve had access to it. Grow up you whiners. Now, it’s almost spoon fed to us on a silver platter, and still people bitch whine moan and complain. You don’t want it---don’t buy it. Don’t like it---let it rot on the shelf. Or maybe you could engage in a better alternative----get off your lazy asses and build your own large, comprehensive Dead collection, then you don’t have to rely on TPTB for your Dead fix. *** “I want my (fill in the year here) box set and I want it now!”. OMG this whine is older than Methuselah, let’s grow up and move on…………. *** “Dark Star! Dark Star! Dark Star!”. Not every Dark Star was a gem. Personally, I would prefer a well played Other One to a poorly played Dark Star. But hey, that’s just me……………… *** “The Dead were in top form in 1989”. Oh PLEASE!, just drop it. Mostly proves that lots of Deadheads still take mind altering substances. These are from the people who wouldn’t know a good show if it bit them in the ass, or a bad show if it slapped them upside the head. Probably the same people who think that Barton Hall and Veneta----two of the most horribly overrated Dead shows ever---are deserving of “Classic” status. Also probably the same crowd that think that Albuquerque and Ann Arbor were wasted picks, but that a box set from 76 would be just wonderful. Dead on valium----no thanks, I’ll pass………………. *** “Garcia is a god and must be revered!!!”. Balderdash. Garcia was a flawed human being----just as we all are. Very good musician, yes, but not the center of the musical universe. You think I’m wrong? Then compare his work with the Dead vs his solo endeavors, where he usually lost the focus and edge that playing with the Dead gave him, where his shows ranged from “well, OK” to downright boring, and where he fell victim to his own worst devices and inclinations. And I saw lots and lots of Jerry shows over a wide range of years. My own opinion is that the people who deify Jerry really don’t understand what the Dead was----a synergistic musical phenomenon that relied on the input of all the participants. Lesh always got his props, but turning Garcia into a deity does great disrespect to Pigpen and Weir. *** Here’s the most important issue-----I don’t have anything new to add to the discussion. My mission here is complete. I have opened people’s eyes about the Dead’s music of 1971. I never claimed 1971 was their best year ever, only that it was my favorite year. I’ve posted numerous time about the important shows of the year, I’ve given away sh*tloads of 1971 recordings, and I’ve written long posts about the various runs that year---including the beloved Port Chester, which I still think will NEVER be released as a box set. Frankly, I’m a little tired of being the poster boy for 1971 Dead recordings. I’ve done my part for King and Country. I’ve distributed thousands of recordings and mentored large numbers of fellow 71 freaks. Mentorship is a large responsibility, and you need to choose your apprentices carefully. I have chosen well, I know they will carry on, never forgetting my mantra: “share everything with everybody, never asking for or expecting anything in return”. Given the nature of my profession and recent life events, I’m acutely aware that I’m closer to the end of my journey than to the beginning. That doesn’t mean I’m in a “dark place". In fact, I’m moving towards the light, the light that will guide and illuminate the rest of my life. I’m moving on into the sunlit uplands of my mind, something I should have done a very long time ago……… In closing, I would like to say that I have successfully poked the bear, hit the beehive with a stick, stirred up muddy waters, burned my bridges, and probably generally pissed people off. That was probably something that needed to be done. Now it’s time to move on to more pleasurable endeavors. However, anybody that wishes to respond or continue the discussion, let’s move it off line, via e-mail. Farewell my friends, take good care, live large, rock on, carry on, sleep in, love your significant other, play with your dogs and children, stay focused, play it loud and proud, don’t look back, the future is uncertain but the end is always near……………… Peter Gillespie, MD aka “Doc” P.S. I won the Box Set Contest. And no, I’m not telling you what it is. You’ll just hafta wait. Serve you right to suffer lmao…………… P.P.S. I have an unopened Roy Buchanon Town Hall CD and an unread/unused book about James Brown that a misguided soul sent me, if anybody would like these I will send them to you at my own expense. If nobody wants, since they have bad kharma stuck to them I’ll throw them in the trash. P.P.P.S. Last and final offer ever: anybody who ever needs or wants 1971 Dead shows, now or at any time in the future, I can be reached at: DocEleven@yahoo.com. I used to say “you know where to find me”, you just won’t find me here any more. Goodbye & good luck!!!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hardly. Just tellin' it as he sees it. Good to hear from Doc one last time.
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Doc, good luck in your new pursuits.
product sku