• 1,091 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Volume 28: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76

This year's Dave's Picks series comes to a close just as the band's getting back together again in '76. By the time the Grateful Dead hit New Jersey’s Capitol Theatre - for the very first time - on 6/17/76, they were buzzing from their reunion, armed with new and revived material, the Rhythm Devils reformed with the mischievous Mickey Hart once again behind the kit. They'd skived off the unwieldy Wall of Sound and scaled back the venues from cavernous arenas to intimate theatres. Quite the treat!

During the first set, the Dead's playing was nuanced ("Cold Rain And Snow"), detailed ("Looks Like Rain"), and intricate ("The Music Never Stopped"); the singing struck softly ("Row Jimmy") and raised hairs ("Ship Of Fools"). But it’s the big barreling energy of the second set you’ll want to brace yourself for, replete with a disco'd "Dancing In The Streets," a low-down funky “Help”>”Slip”>”Franklin's” and a wind 'em up to wind down "Let It Grow">"Wharf Rat">"Around and Around." Can you keep up? There's only one way to find out.

This complete show, balanced out with a couple of bonus tracks from 6/23/76 and 6/28/76, was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 28 is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

Grab a copy before they're gone, gone, gone.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • gep82363@yahoo.com

I just discovered the skip in let it grow , I hope it’s not too late to get a replacement disc, can you help?

• gep82363@yahoo.com

Help, I just discovered the let it grow skip on disc 3 and I emailed dr rhino I hope it’s not to late to get a replacement disc.

• Charlie3

I feel your pain. I was unable to get a copy of DaP 28 that didn't skip on the CD player I had at the time. That was a Sony that was a few years old. It worked flawlessly with all of my other CD's. I recently got a new CD player, a basic Onkyo 6 disc changer, and lo and behold the DaP 28 replacement CD's that skipped on my Sony played without issue on the Onkyo. I don't know what the difference is, or why my Sony only had a problem with DaP 28, but I thought that I would let you know what my experience was with this release. Other than whatever causes the release to skip on some players, it is a stellar show.

• marye
    send me a PM and I'll see what I can do. Also, are the discs skipping on multiple players, or just one, for purposes of troubleshooting this?
  • crussak
    Default Avatar

Hi,
    I have gotten the complete run around on getting a replacement disc for disc #3. I have been sent 6 different copies of it and they all stop or skip on Track #4 (Let It Grow). I was told they finally figured out there was a defect in manufacturing, but I kept getting the same old defective discs. In emailing the situation to Doc at Rhino I have not gotten any replies back from emails sent to him in May, July and August. Either he does not work there anymore or he doesn't care. Customer Service is truly atrocious.

• daverock

Mine arrived at the end of last week, and I am pleased and relived that they both-discs 1 and 3 play through perfectly.
    As a consequence of receiving these discs, I listened to the whole show again, for the first time since it initially arrived. And I am well impressed. It rolls along very smoothly indeed-beautiful ensemble playing. True, the high wire jamming from the years up to 1974 has mysteriously disappeared, but its a tuneful and pleasing set. Very nice piano playing.

• icecrmcnkd

I just replied to you on the DaP29 board.
    Thought you were referring to your original replacement.
    So now you have 3 defective copies. That sucks. They need to send you a new complete DaP28.

• Charlie3

Got my replacement disc 3 today, no replacement for disc 1. Oh yeah, and the disc 3 replacement skips again. This doesn't happen with any of the other several hundred CD's that I have, including my other dead releases. BOHICA. At this point it is more of a drag to continue dealing with the issue than to write off the possibility of having a skip free version of the release. I guess I appreciate the effort, but it accomplished nothing for my situation.

• icecrmcnkd

No Skips or other noticeable defects.
    Thanks Marye and Rhino for making things right.

• daverock

I sent a personal message to Marye at the end of last year to tell her that discs 1 and 3 were faulty in my Daves Picks 28. She said she would send my message on to someone called Dr Rhino. About two weeks ago I sent her another pm to see if there was any progress. A few days later I got an email from Dr Rhino, telling me that there was a fault in the pressing of the original discs. Not all were affected, but a substantial amount were, apparently. He said they were looking into it, and that I would be sent a replacement disc-but that he couldn't say when this would be.

So...it might be worth sending a PM to Marye, or this Dr Rhino, and maybe you will get replacement later in the year.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

Dave's Picks Volume 28: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76

This year's Dave's Picks series comes to a close just as the band's getting back together again in '76. By the time the Grateful Dead hit New Jersey’s Capitol Theatre - for the very first time - on 6/17/76, they were buzzing from their reunion, armed with new and revived material, the Rhythm Devils reformed with the mischievous Mickey Hart once again behind the kit. They'd skived off the unwieldy Wall of Sound and scaled back the venues from cavernous arenas to intimate theatres. Quite the treat!

During the first set, the Dead's playing was nuanced ("Cold Rain And Snow"), detailed ("Looks Like Rain"), and intricate ("The Music Never Stopped"); the singing struck softly ("Row Jimmy") and raised hairs ("Ship Of Fools"). But it’s the big barreling energy of the second set you’ll want to brace yourself for, replete with a disco'd "Dancing In The Streets," a low-down funky “Help”>”Slip”>”Franklin's” and a wind 'em up to wind down "Let It Grow">"Wharf Rat">"Around and Around." Can you keep up? There's only one way to find out.

This complete show, balanced out with a couple of bonus tracks from 6/23/76 and 6/28/76, was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 28 is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

Grab a copy before they're gone, gone, gone.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Judysparty

....trade? Every concert is collectible to me. We agree to disagree. On the other foot, yes, I would most likely be more perturbed if every other release was shit. Just lucky I guess. Ever talk about the songs that don't skip though? (edit. I tried to make this post as least offensive as I could. Don't throw stuff at me.) That's sarcasm btw. Dirty word these days. Haha.

user picture

Member for

13 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

yea I can talk about a good song...
but first, let's talk about that trade. It's got to be better than what dead.net C.S. has been offering me.
I know, you give me one good copy of Dave's Picks 28 (Disc-3).
and I'll give you the four bad copies dead.net gave me?
you get 4 and I get 1. you can't beat that deal dude! C'mon...

oh, and that good song...
have you ever heard the I-95 Song by the Good Brothers?
you'll be playing that one over and over again to go to sleep to. you'll love it.
get the download!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The discussion around defective disc situation certainly got people posting again, so it can be considered a positive result. Whether or not it bears fruit with Rhino only time will tell.

The discussion seems broadly to have placed people in one of two camps, namely:

Those who have experienced no problems. Many (but certainly not all) of these folks don't want to see this aired here and do not seem to comprehend the anguish and frustration that victims feel.

and :

Those who have experienced problems and are still seeking resolution and do not know where to turn, having exhausted all the normal avenues to no avail. For them this must be a horrible situation.

Personally, thankfully, I have not experienced any problems for many years but I can sympathize with those who have.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Just a few more short weeks until that beautiful show from the Swing arrives. There aren't really any other 1977 shows did I'm interested in at this point, but this one is a true gem. This may be the best Slipknot they ever did. Jerry comes through loud and proud and it's a long one. On the soundboard that I have, there is a little bit of an audio glitch on the first chord of Help on the Way. I wonder if this is a tape flutter or if Jerry actually hit the cord badly. Either way I think they could fix this pretty easily in production if they wanted to. We will see.

It may be a little cliche to recommend Europe 72 show, but I will say there is a nugget of a Playing in the Band on the May 16th show that they played on the radio. They are all great from this tour, but Jerry has a little extra flash on this one.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by Trainwrecked

If it ain't got the Swing..

Always one of my favorites. I played 77 to death years ago.. especially when I first got turned on to Archive.org, so I don't reach for this year that often. Plus.. a lot has been released. But the Swing is indeed a special show.

As for 1972 PITB's.. do they ever get old? Since September 2011 when the E72 box put a dent on my front porch, shows from this tour have been in pretty much constant rotation. I will have to give Radio Luxembourg a revisit. I have to say 1972 is my favorite year for this song.. it's wild yet contained and bursting with a psychedelic electric punch that delivers. ..but I like Playing's from just about any year. It's one of those songs where the more I listen to it, the more I like it regardless of the year.

Oh.. not sure if your username has any relation to trains (guessing it does).. but I am a big train lover and that period of American history (world history really). There's lots of rivers in the mountains here with tracks on one or both banks, many have been converted to rails to trails so they make for convenient spot to get some exercise and have some fun. I kayak a lot, always with music playing and I can't tell you how many times Big RR Blues comes on when I am within sight of a Railroad bridge. Big train fan and friend of just about any train song.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I just love my skipping discs, can't wait to get another one. How can one persons opinion bring down a corporation like rhino? These tapes that they have been entrusted with are a cash cow for them, why would they put them on a poorly made disc? Why would they want to kill their cash cow? Hey, sorry dude, I just want what I paid for. From now on, I will keep my opinion nice a friendly for all and any who find me a buzzkill, even if it is not how I really feel and is plastic and fake. So, in the future, after this post, anything I say you should think the exact opposite. Thanks for pointing it out to me. Happy new year everyone, I am looking forward to Dave's 30.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

...is when people bitch and moan about other people bitching and moaning. It seems somehow illustrative of the human condition.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

It just took a little controversy to get the site participation up again :-D

Happy New Year all.

Jimbo, I'm on board with '72 / Playing. '73 & '74 very strong, but I enjoy the way they rock out on it in '72. Focussed and powerful. I hope we get a 2nd half 1972 box set with 20 shows this year. I shit you all not, I am ready.

I'm also on board with this pending Swing Auditorium show. Killer Slipknot! indeed. Trainwrecked and Jim, you guys both summed up my present disposition with Dead '77. I also love the Eyes of the World ending from Phil. It will be interesting to see how many non-subscription copies will go up for sale.

The 2/2/70 show from DaP 6 has always rung my bell. I got a full listen in today. Good Lovin' stood out this time around - not too long, great vocals, etc. Fantastic Dark Star, rarely cited among the best, but one of my favorites.

I used to smoke a potent weed called Trainwreck with my poker buddies. We would frequently call ourselves "Trainwrecked". Of course you might just like trains......

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Defective discs aside, I have had a few, not much fun. Not a good situation for anybody.

Ran some errands with my 9 year old tonight and was listening to Dick's 15. I don't put the dead on too much in the car, but most days can't listen to the radio for too long. I guess my listening is starting to rub off as I heard my daughter singing I had to move really had to move and that asked what is the name of this song again? Love it!

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

... on best ever Cosmic Charlie :(

How about Ten. Jed? I'm voting 5/18/72.... just the last one I heard (WHAT A GREAT SHOW!)

Anyway, I think you all have a lot of issues with Rhino, Dead.net, the new color of the site, your parents... It's too bad you can't have a good time too. For me, I'm going to keep playing Dead, checking this site for updates, and overall being ignored.

Swing, baby, swing!

Peace

(This 5/18 Munich show! Top 5 of the E72 tour?)

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

My poor almost 9 year old daughter gets no relief from the GOGD in the car (and in the house).....my hopes are that I impart a little bit a music, a little bit a life, and a whole lot of her dad, and what he holds true...

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Thats_Otis

I listened to the first two cds of 1/22/78, Daves Picks 23 this morning.And I thought I would post to highlight the superb Tennessee Jed in the first set. Just checked the previous posts and noticed you had drawn attention to this song also, from Munich 1972. Almost every song played on the Europe 72 tour was definitive in one show or the other-but this Ten Jed from 1978 is razor sharp.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Otis, my man!

The Munich Invasion - definitely in my top five Europe 72 list. The guitars sound extra crunchy to me. It was, I believe only the 2nd Jack Straw where Garcia sings the Watchman verse, except Weir forgets this and starts singing it with him for a moment. For some reason this always amuses me. This show also has one of only four Morning Dews from the tour, and IMHO the 2nd best Sugar Magnolia (the best being 4/24, Rockin' the Rhein :-D). And of course... Dark Star. I don't recall the Tennessee Jed too well, so I am going to check that out right now. And then I'm going to listen to the one on Close Encounters with the Grateful Dead - because Daverock is not to be taken lightly.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Just started listening again. Greatest Story, China Cat>I Know You Rider, Dark Star>Eyes of the World... Favorite show to listen to when I am on a plane!!! I miss the days of bonus disks from ordering early!! 46 minute Dark Star just pure Dead..... Turn your bass down at the end of I Know You Rider, Phil is just killing it!! This was the bonus disc for the Denver 11/20/21/73 shows!!!!! Did i mention 46 minute Dark Star... enjoy your weekend... bob t

Yea.. 12/6, Rockin' the Reign and WOS are my favorite bonus discs. Holy Smoldering Solar Systems Batman.. Those weren't portabella mushrooms in the pasta were they?

I think 12/4/73 was the bonus disc for Winterland 73, but it pales in comparison to 12/6. Holy cow..

Just listened to T Jed from '72 Munich and '78 Eugene, both ripping!

Hunkering into the Row Jimmy at the moment.

My suite mate sophomore year in college was a metal head and after casually listening to Europe '72 a few times with him, it was that version (Olympia) that finally brought the light to his eyes. We wore the 'repeat' button down long after midnight.....

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Sent funds to pre-order the DeadHead stories book. Perhaps my favorite part of this site other than the musical recommendations are the occasional stories from DeadLand. The Winterland Oroboros story told by Oroboros is probably my favorite so far. Really looking forward to digging into this, and glad all of the regulars seem to be straggling back here!

https://deadheadstories.org

... that is certainly one hell of a fine Tenn. Jed! Perhaps even better than the Munich one I posted about earlier! (Though to be fair, in the words of MDJimbo, DaP23 is the last one I listened to...)

Have a great Sunday!

Peace

Munich 72 is primo!!! Love it from start to finish, theirs not really anything or anybody dragging this performance for taste. 😎😊
“Many of the early shows on this long tour are often under appreciated in comparison to more readily available and circulated shows. This show is a perfect example of that quandary as this, and numerous others from 1972, are often neglected due poor sound quality of circulated recordings. Sadly this case for this Munich show as only two poor sound quality audience tapes are all that is on the Archive.

On paper looks this looks very similar to many other sets from this tour, but honestly how many tours did they play Dark Star ten times anyways?

This being number eight on this tour is on that stellar level that us DS aficionados expect but I am getting ahead of myself here.

This show is all about the esemeble lead equally by both Jerry and Pig Pen from start to finish.

Set I starts off back in 1971 with a wicked tight Truckin' that has the band finding that groove from the first note. Pig Pen is right there on the organ and continues there the entire show., perfectly accent and widening the new sound the band was embracing with Keith.

Sugaree is text book perfect, western swing and poetic. Then Pig Pen takes center stage and delivers a excellent Mr. Charlie, the only real clear statement the band ever made about the Vietnam war. Next we get the a couple of new standards still in their infancy but played to perfection.

Pig is ready for more and sings a energetic Chinatown Shuffle that once again shows how much he brought the best out of this band.

Bobby deals a majestic BT Wind and then we get an fully developed China>Rider that is full of all the fire and brimstone that made this a staple of so many great Dead shows. Jerry's playing is purely on a genius level for the entire show as things only get better from here.

Bobby goes cowboy with a resounding El Paso and then Pig Pen is right back with a incredible heart breaking It Hurts Me Too , that featues some of Jerry's best finger picking of the night.

Then the band goes deep for a 10 minute Playing in the band, which would end many forst sets for the next 28 months but not tonight . Jerry want to go back to 1970 and Pig Pen belts out a tour de force Good Lovin, that featues a wild extended funky jam and then a old school Casey Jones to closes out this long and exceptional first set.

Set II goes back to 1969 with a surprising Sitting On Top of the World followed up by a strong Me & My Uncle. Ramble One Rose is perfect and Jerry raves it up big time. Then Bobby heads back a few years for a thumping BIODTL.

Then things take off with the epic pairing of Dark Star> Morning Dew. Which features complete ensemble playing with Pig Pen really shining on the organ during Morning Dew, he had such an amazing ear for complimenting Jerry, as does the entire band and Jerry more than raises the roof on this historically bizarre place.

Read the linear notes for the insight on that one.

You get a short, not really a drum solo, but Billy is stellar the entire performance.Sugar Magnolia closes the set which Bobby have a mild brain fart but who cares the band is have a ball.

Then a rare double encore that features a powerful Sing Me Back Home and then the band cast the final hex on the Munich faithful by blowing the cosmic doors wide open with Saturday night“! T.D.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

So with 2/26/77 ( Swing) being release with 2/27/77 filler from (UCSB), is it safe to say the only 2 shows from 1977 that aren't on sound board are 4/26/77 Capitol Theatre and 6/4/77 Forum... I always thought it was 2/27/77 that was missing until after Dave's 29 was announced and I checked my old tapes and saw the big gap in 4/26/77!!! I love the Swing show but I have to say I am almost more excited to here what's from the next night, even though the Audience tape available is amazing!! Be good everyone bob t

I will check what I have.. but I believe the Forum simply doesn't exist (or at least never circulated as a soundboard, and being from CA.. if it existed one would think it would have circulated). As for 4/26.. I wouldn't be that surprised if it surfaced one day. I believe the Capitol used to record their own, both audio and video. I know it hasn't surfaced after all these years, but it could be simply because the band didn't have the tapes, so who knows.

There is video, but the sound is clearly an audience copy. Might still exist somewhere in someone attic or it might have been lost to the ravages of time, but I get the inkling it was recorded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oktHSQTUbGE

When KayakGuy used to visit these boards we had better, closer to first hand knowledge...

I will dig a bit, but I have had a good copy of the Swing for years. The Forum.. we might just need to use the Wayback to hear that in it's pristine glory.

I think if you read the tea leaves from Dave's comments on returned tapes, there isn't that much (yet) that didn't exist before, but some shows - especially in 71 and 72, are considerable upgrades. The others existed, and good copies circulated.. but weren't going to be released until the masters were in hand. There is also going to be some Garcia Band stuff, assuming they anteed up, that will begin to be inventoried, remastered and released. It seems the Garcia Band efforts are more a mystery though, so who knows.

It's starting off to be a good year. Holy Smokes.. it's amazing there isn't more shock and awe about what has been returned and what is about to be released.

As for Munich '72, a house fav. and some of the better artwork from the tour (Lille included) in my humble opinion. The first DS>MDew, and that says something. Pigpen really shines on that tour and the organ on MDew is divine.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

That sounds like a board to me. Sort of like 4/27 with lots of Audience mixed in with the board (especially between songs). Of course, I could be wrong and that wouldn't be too surprising.

P.S. BTW, I thought Dave said he's including all they have of 2/27 with DaP 29, but my memory remains foggy.

Archive: https://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1977/04/26/mississippi-half-step?sou…
Video: https://youtu.be/oktHSQTUbGE?t=1676

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

For some reason in my memory I remember Dave L. saying that there was only 2 shows missing from 1977 in the vault. It's is interesting that the video of 4/26/77 is on Youtube but if you like on Archive there is only an audience tape. I believe and agree with statements about 6/4/77 that if there was a board of this show it would be ranked right up with other 77 shows!! Have a good week. Bob t

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by bob t

...I just wanted to share with everyone Today I received my replacement discs for Daves Pick #28! Smile smile smile 😊... Everything is Primo! ;)
- a big Thank You to Dr. Rhino and the Dead.net Team for all your help, I’m very grateful as always-
- disc one for my Daves Pick #28 had an audio defect. An example would be; Track 5 Disc One ‘Tennessee Jed’ starts well before the first two minute mark, an audio glitch occurred. And a few others thru the Dead’s first set... if I remember correctly. My new disc / cd plays flawlessly as of to date!

Got my replacement and sure enough it skips in exactly the same place as the original - starting at Track 4 Let It Grow @ 1:40 and continuing on in other places from there. This is the first bad CD I've seen in maybe 5 years or more. Rhino should be embarrassed to send out the same bad disc as a replacement. Makes me worried about this years' subscription going forward... I'll have to wait to see what customer service does now. Took quite awhile for this to arrive as it was...

check out 1979. what a phenomenal year for GD.

I mean, really. mo' 79!!!

DeadBase writer disses 4/22/79, but he is WWRROONNGG. it's hot.

HEY, also check out 5/12/80. YAHOO!!!

also, check out the 1970 New Orleans run.

user picture

Member for

5 years 8 months

Where did you get that review of the Munich 72 Show from? Are there other show reviews from the Europe 72 tour wherever you found that one?

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by Exile On Main St.

... I have had these notes written in my journal from a while back. I didn’t get it from any where specific when I come to think about it. I honestly can’t recall if they were in fact written by me beacause my memory sometimes does not serve me well...
Did you enjoy the review my friend :)

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by MDJim

...good find Jim, I was wondering what the T.D. Stood for...that was really quick too, this board is awsome! :)

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

I received my replacement cd over the weekend. Here is my 2 cents on the issues with the cds, but understand that I am a pretty laid back individual. My issue was the familiar one-- Let it Grow had a big skip at the 1:40 mark that left about a 20+ second gap. I contacted Marye and she got me on the list-- thanks Marye, you rock! Understanding that they had to do a new run of cds as so many had the problem, I patiently awaited a replacement disc. Gave it a listen and at the 1:40 mark of LiG, there is a minor blip but the disc recovers and I can listen to the rest.

So, I could complain about the blip, but I am ready to call it good. I listened to hissy tapes with knock-outs, drop-outs, cuts and all sort of maladies for 20+ years. So, I can deal with this. I do most of my listening digitally, so maybe it won't even show up when I download it. As for Rhino, they are making a good faith effort to make it right on this, but they may want to examine a new disc manufacturer going forward. Those who have the same long glitch, I feel for you and hope they can get you a proper replacement soon.

BTW, I really like this show and I am generally not a fan of summer 1976. Lots of good stuff here. The H-S-F is quite good. It also got me to revisit DaP 18 and I found I like that one more than I did on its initial listen.

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Wondering if the folks having trouble with skipping discs have tried using a different reader/Cd player? Many times I've experienced issues with discs and it's usually due to a an old computer/reader where the laser isn't as strong or the bulb maybe has years of dust on it - odd that it skips in the same place.

As for the upcoming 1/2/70 show, the Tapers Compendium disses it as an unremarkable performance. However I remember liking this one.... Compendium reviews, and even Dick's notebooks, have dissed many a show that wind up being released - and being glorious. Just goes to show you have to take others' opinions with a grain of salt and listen without preconceived notions.

Looking forward to seeing the artwork. Hoping for a break from the lazy, trite (and macabre) bearded skeleton motif, but that tends to be the trend....

Haven't really been here much since they changed the board look/format. Honestly haven't really been listening to the Dead for about a year. Every few years I retreat completely - this time I've been getting into more local music. (This Thursday at Three Squares in Needham - Boston suburb - if anyone wants to come out). But I'll eventually "come around" again to the Dead. Ya have to cross-pollenate once in a while....

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Well, my replacement discs finally arrived and it appears that now disc 1 has a minor skip on Tennessee Jed at about 5:29 into the song, haven't had a chance to finish the rest of the disc or to check disc 3 yet, but my optimism is diminishing at a rapid rate. Seems like a problem when your business model is selling discs and you can't get discs manufactured without defects affecting playback. Disappointing is the word for the day. And yeah, I used to listen to sketchy tapes as well, but I didn't pay for them. If I am paying for something I feel like it really ought to work for it's intended purpose. Would deadnet fulfill my order if I only made a partial payment? Why then should I be ok with a partially working product at full price?

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Did some edibles last weekend (can't smoke unfortunately) and while on a 1976 review brought on by this DaP 28, I was listening to the bonus disc from DaP 18 and you know how it goes....a piece of music just hits your soul....
that break in Brown Eyed Women has got to be one of the most beautiful pieces of music I ever heard!
What an amazing song writer and arranger Jerry was. That chord progression, the vocal harmony, just exactly perfect. Robert Hunter was key of course.....the lyrics are "classic" Americana, yet written in the 70's! It's short and sweet. Those kind of moments can carry one for a while...gets you recharged on the good stuff.

user picture

Member for

10 years 6 months

Got my 2 replacement CD 1s today. They both play fine. 2 CDs you may ask? One for me, one for a Christmas gift. I always buy 2 subs, one for me one for a friend's gift. First one I played back around Nov 1 I found CD 1 Track 8 where the playback problem was. Opened up the other one, and sure enough it was bad too! Did anyone notice the back label side of these discs? On both of mine the label coating had run and was wrinkled in the area of the defect like it didn't cure properly during manufacture and ran like wet paint. Easily seen by just eyeballing it. If I could attach a picture I would. Anyway looks like I got taken care of and all is good, and I can send off this late Christmas gift now. All handled by Rhino customer service.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I got replacements for discs 1 which had a skip on Promised Land and disc 3 which had a skip on Let It Grow. Received replacements with a skip on Tennessee Jed on disc 1 and not one, but two skips on Wharf Rat on disc 3. Since receiving the original DaP28 back in early November I have listened to countless discs, previous Grateful Dead releases and a variety of old and new discs, none of which skipped on the same CD player I am still using. If the manufacturing team isn't embarrassed yet, they should be. Essentially I paid for a subscription promising 4 releases and received 3 usable releases and one with multiple skips.

It says in the Taping Compendium that the Europe 72 tour had its fair share of " uneven or unspectacular shows" where the band sound "tired and distracted". Not in my box, they don't! 4/24 Dusseldorf, 5/10 Amsterdam and 5/23 London are singled out as being below par. Maybe it was the quality of tapes they had. Maybe also, if you listen to a lot of shows from the same run, one after the other, you get a bit jaded with what's on offer. I've noticed with myself that if I play a show I really enjoy, I then go for another one from the same run, and then another-but playing the third can be a bit of a mistake, and I am better served by going to a different era entirely. Probably not a popular way of listening.

user picture

Member for

5 years 8 months

oh you keep a GD journal on your phone, how quaint!

Can't remember if you wrote it that is funny. You should have known by the lack of any usage of the word "primo" ;-) No actually I knew it wasn't yours because I recall reading it before. I was looking to see if there was a more inclusive source of review material for the tour, but have since found a good site.

If you have any of your own thoughts to share from that journal, any 72 shows are good, that's my wheelhouse.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 5 months

Hello folks, specifically Marye and Dr Rhino,
Got around to listening to Disc 3 from Dave's 28 and sure enough track 4 " let it grow" has the skip scratch at the 1:40 mark. How can I get a functioning replacement disc?
dent.art

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

10-15-76 (check out the unique jam in Other One)
4-23-77 (how would this line up track-wise on a DaP?)
10-29-77 (Jerry slide solo in the newly revived Black Peter)
3-9-81 (Brent pulls out an interesting tone on the China Cat; an all-time Bird Song)
7-4-81 (Bird Song in Set II? Count me in. Playing in the Band goes out there)
7-28-82 (fantastic TLEO, St. Stephen tease leading into NFA?)

P.S. These are for thin for when he gets back to Dead listening and for Dave to ask Mr. Jeffrey Norman's help with "cleaning up". Who's got more?

P.S.S. Bonus Playing in the Band (got 30 minutes?)
https://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1978/01/15/playin-in-the-band?source…

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

I think I wrote a reply to a post that doesn't seem to exist anymore..

Oh well.. not bother.. not much different than a double post.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by MDJim

Marye posted something about a reload of the system and a window of post were lost...…. there are 10 million post in the Naked City, you have just lost one.

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Thanks for the recommendations. I can vouch for the 10/29/77 Black Peter slide solo. My fav '77 show (prob cuz not released, but certainly top 5). Jerry slide solos can be a real treat unless it's one of those Row Jimmy's that kinda plod - happened a lot unfortunately. But it just makes the killer Row Jimmy's that more special.

I recall 3/9/81 being great but haven't listened to that one forEVER. One of these days I'll wake up and only wanna hear the Dead, but right now every time I put it on my brain doesn't engage with it. I once went a few years not listening, but when I came back I was totally obsessed. It'll happen again....

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I have a killer bootleg of that show and it is one of the best of 77 IMHO. Jerry didn't do slide much, but when he did, very nice. There are a lot of soundboard copies of that one out there, just got to poke around. Received replacement discs for DP 28 yesterday, haven't listened yet.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...I don’t have a computer any more. I gave my children and ex everything in my home during divorce. I make the best of it. I’m suffer from a terminal illness and my memory is greatly effected. I give credit when due, I pasted all the info I had on that release from my phone. I do use that word Primo a lot lol I have to work on that. ;)
Have a grateful day everyone! :)

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-volume-28-1.html