• 1,091 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Volume 28: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76

This year's Dave's Picks series comes to a close just as the band's getting back together again in '76. By the time the Grateful Dead hit New Jersey’s Capitol Theatre - for the very first time - on 6/17/76, they were buzzing from their reunion, armed with new and revived material, the Rhythm Devils reformed with the mischievous Mickey Hart once again behind the kit. They'd skived off the unwieldy Wall of Sound and scaled back the venues from cavernous arenas to intimate theatres. Quite the treat!

During the first set, the Dead's playing was nuanced ("Cold Rain And Snow"), detailed ("Looks Like Rain"), and intricate ("The Music Never Stopped"); the singing struck softly ("Row Jimmy") and raised hairs ("Ship Of Fools"). But it’s the big barreling energy of the second set you’ll want to brace yourself for, replete with a disco'd "Dancing In The Streets," a low-down funky “Help”>”Slip”>”Franklin's” and a wind 'em up to wind down "Let It Grow">"Wharf Rat">"Around and Around." Can you keep up? There's only one way to find out.

This complete show, balanced out with a couple of bonus tracks from 6/23/76 and 6/28/76, was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 28 is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

Grab a copy before they're gone, gone, gone.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • gep82363@yahoo.com

I just discovered the skip in let it grow , I hope it’s not too late to get a replacement disc, can you help?

• gep82363@yahoo.com

Help, I just discovered the let it grow skip on disc 3 and I emailed dr rhino I hope it’s not to late to get a replacement disc.

• Charlie3

I feel your pain. I was unable to get a copy of DaP 28 that didn't skip on the CD player I had at the time. That was a Sony that was a few years old. It worked flawlessly with all of my other CD's. I recently got a new CD player, a basic Onkyo 6 disc changer, and lo and behold the DaP 28 replacement CD's that skipped on my Sony played without issue on the Onkyo. I don't know what the difference is, or why my Sony only had a problem with DaP 28, but I thought that I would let you know what my experience was with this release. Other than whatever causes the release to skip on some players, it is a stellar show.

• marye
    send me a PM and I'll see what I can do. Also, are the discs skipping on multiple players, or just one, for purposes of troubleshooting this?
  • crussak
    Default Avatar

Hi,
    I have gotten the complete run around on getting a replacement disc for disc #3. I have been sent 6 different copies of it and they all stop or skip on Track #4 (Let It Grow). I was told they finally figured out there was a defect in manufacturing, but I kept getting the same old defective discs. In emailing the situation to Doc at Rhino I have not gotten any replies back from emails sent to him in May, July and August. Either he does not work there anymore or he doesn't care. Customer Service is truly atrocious.

• daverock

Mine arrived at the end of last week, and I am pleased and relived that they both-discs 1 and 3 play through perfectly.
    As a consequence of receiving these discs, I listened to the whole show again, for the first time since it initially arrived. And I am well impressed. It rolls along very smoothly indeed-beautiful ensemble playing. True, the high wire jamming from the years up to 1974 has mysteriously disappeared, but its a tuneful and pleasing set. Very nice piano playing.

• icecrmcnkd

I just replied to you on the DaP29 board.
    Thought you were referring to your original replacement.
    So now you have 3 defective copies. That sucks. They need to send you a new complete DaP28.

• Charlie3

Got my replacement disc 3 today, no replacement for disc 1. Oh yeah, and the disc 3 replacement skips again. This doesn't happen with any of the other several hundred CD's that I have, including my other dead releases. BOHICA. At this point it is more of a drag to continue dealing with the issue than to write off the possibility of having a skip free version of the release. I guess I appreciate the effort, but it accomplished nothing for my situation.

• icecrmcnkd

No Skips or other noticeable defects.
    Thanks Marye and Rhino for making things right.

• daverock

I sent a personal message to Marye at the end of last year to tell her that discs 1 and 3 were faulty in my Daves Picks 28. She said she would send my message on to someone called Dr Rhino. About two weeks ago I sent her another pm to see if there was any progress. A few days later I got an email from Dr Rhino, telling me that there was a fault in the pressing of the original discs. Not all were affected, but a substantial amount were, apparently. He said they were looking into it, and that I would be sent a replacement disc-but that he couldn't say when this would be.

So...it might be worth sending a PM to Marye, or this Dr Rhino, and maybe you will get replacement later in the year.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

Dave's Picks Volume 28: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76

This year's Dave's Picks series comes to a close just as the band's getting back together again in '76. By the time the Grateful Dead hit New Jersey’s Capitol Theatre - for the very first time - on 6/17/76, they were buzzing from their reunion, armed with new and revived material, the Rhythm Devils reformed with the mischievous Mickey Hart once again behind the kit. They'd skived off the unwieldy Wall of Sound and scaled back the venues from cavernous arenas to intimate theatres. Quite the treat!

During the first set, the Dead's playing was nuanced ("Cold Rain And Snow"), detailed ("Looks Like Rain"), and intricate ("The Music Never Stopped"); the singing struck softly ("Row Jimmy") and raised hairs ("Ship Of Fools"). But it’s the big barreling energy of the second set you’ll want to brace yourself for, replete with a disco'd "Dancing In The Streets," a low-down funky “Help”>”Slip”>”Franklin's” and a wind 'em up to wind down "Let It Grow">"Wharf Rat">"Around and Around." Can you keep up? There's only one way to find out.

This complete show, balanced out with a couple of bonus tracks from 6/23/76 and 6/28/76, was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 28 is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

Grab a copy before they're gone, gone, gone.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

He's right though.. these are CDs, not spacecraft or supercomputers.. If their supplier is screwing up on such a grand scale release after release, perhaps it's time to revisit their supply chain and create stiff penalties when their products fail.

I am very sympathetic on this issue. Please get it right in 2019 GD.

Ending on a happy note, looking very much forward to #29. Also wishing everyone a Happy New Year.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Let’s just say that 2018 was not one of my best 42 years, however one good thing I did discover in 2018 was this forum and ALL of its wonderful members, both those who contribute regularly and the lurkers who contribute rarely or not at all, but still are part of the family just the same. I feel extremely grateful to have found a group of like minded folks who are still pleased with this wonderful obsession and dialed into what for me is an entire musical genre on its own. When people ask me what kind of music I listen to....I say proudly “The Grateful Dead”......”Almost exclusively”, which is almost true at least to the people who simply don’t get it and never will. They are always asking me...”do you ever listen to anything else?” My answer to them while a lie is, I try not too.....fact of the matter, I’m happy and very proud to call myself a DeadHead and y’all should be too, not that you need me to tell ya.

Listening/watching recommendation:

Just got done watching the recorded live stream for JRAD Brooklyn Bow back in March.....what a great show. These guys rock!!!

Of course change is always difficult, like with some of the recent problems with the new website and also disc damage and production errors, but I would implore you to think twice, especially all you veterans out there. Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater...I think we all still have a lot to say about this band.

Rock On and play it obnoxiously loud dead people...:see ya next year

CaseyJanes

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

CASEYJANES I couldn't have said it better. Onward to a happy and amazing 2019 for us all!

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Love visiting this site daily and seeing what like minds have to say. I have met some very gracious heads here that have turned me on to some GREAT shows and am very thankful. Haven't post much but, just wanted to say Happy New Year to all and look forward to another fabulous year with the Grate-est fans on the planet! Peace!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by musicnow

Happy New Year all.

Hopefully Rhino/WB has a New Year’s Resolution to actually get a clue in 2019 on how to manufacture quality CD’s.

Looking forward to DaP 2019, and hopefully a nice 68-69 Box Set (all with defect-free CD’s).

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Icekid
I'l go with 40 years anny of Closing of Winterland for tonights show. It is always a winner. Happy new year to all and I can't wait to see what lays on store for next year. Hope they release some more Plangent vinyl. Don't miss out on the 31 Days of the Dead. Ed Martin did a great job this year mixing it up and had three encores.
Here's the link
https://www.phantasytour.com/bands/phish/threads/4478933/gd-2018-unoffi…
My favorite was the 10/18/72 Fox (also a birthday while a frosh on college) with the Philo Stomp. Lastly Thanks to Jeff Smith for the excellent DAP album covers. Yes it was a good dead year

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hand me my old Churchkey....

:-)

user picture

Member for

13 years 11 months

I was going to wait until I had more time to myself to write about this issue. But, I have info that - WE ALL NEED TO HEED TO - about the future that will all be in your hands and in your Disc Players soon.
I had 2 Dave's Picks 2018 Subscriptions, and received TWO (2)-DEFECTIVE Dave's Picks Volume 28.
-- (Disc-3, Track-4 "Let It Grow" at the (1:40) min. mark approx.) --
I also have received the Customer Service Emails to "be patient" and wait because soon, Customer Service was going to "save the day" and send "New" Replacement Discs" and all worries would be over!
On Friday (12/28/18) I received my 2 Dave's Picks Vol. 28 Replacement Discs. (THEY WERE BOTH BEAUTIFUL, BRAND SPANKIN' NEW, SHINY DISCS!!!)
So I played them. And, do you know what happened next? ... ...
Both Discs were once again SKIPPING IN THE EXACT SAME GODDAM SPOT AS BEFORE!!!! (You know-> that Piercing... Searing... Blistering... Electronic - echo-chamber that can short out a Dead Heads brain in a flash!) Not to be confused with a Garcia jam leading us into a Black-Hole of course!
NOW, I have been through the ringer again and again with this Defective Disc issue. I am still reeling from the Pacific North West screw up! I have literally been thru 3 Box Sets and 4 Replacement Discs, for Discs 2 & 14. And Five (5) tries for Disc 5! That is no Bull Sh_t. And I have still gotten nowhere. Nada.
I am "FOUR DISCS for FOUR DISCS" with this Dave's Picks 28 screw up. And after all the crap I have been through with Customer Service and the Defective Disc Issue. I sincerely believe that there are "NO GOOD DAVE"S PICKS REPLACEMENT DISCS OUT THERE!!!"
I believe that every Dave's Pick Disc-3 are ALL DEFECTIVE!!! ALL OF THEM!!!
I also believe that no-one who is waiting for a "Good" Replacement Disc will get one!
NOW PLEASE, don't get me wrong. I AM NOT WISHING ANY ILL WILL ON ANY OF YOU!
That is not my point or objective here. My Hope is that you all become aware of what is probably ahead for you.
I am very well versed in dealing with Customer Service on this issue and my experience has not been very promising one at all.
SO, I think we need to all UNITE Together on this issue. INFORM each other on this blog of what our own experiences are with this "DEFECTIVE DISC ISSUE". Did you get "good" replacement discs or did you get more "bad" ones. How many are "good"? How many are "Bad"? How many times have you gotten nowhere with Customer Service? We need to share our experiences. We need to "EXPOSE" our experiences! That is the only way we as CONSUMERS and Dead Heads will possibly succeed. Because so far, from what I can see, we appear to be getting ripped off! and I don't see any body caring at all!
So I will stop for now. I am tired.
But Meanwhile -> You got to let them know! Like how about Dave Lemieux. Do you think the guy who the "Dave's Picks Series" is named after, do you think he might care that we are getting BOGUS, DEFECTIVE, REPLACEMENT DISCS?
I have collected all 28 Volumes. All 28 for it to all stop here? After the PNW BOX SET and now DAVE"S PICKS VOL. 28 "garbage" we are being sold, I for one have no reason to believe as of this point, that the future of Grateful Dead Releases will be any better or promising at all. Why continue to do business with a company that does not care about their product or their customers? I just want I paid for. Why is that so hard to understand dead.net?

Very sorry to read of your experiences with recent cds. I have had slightly better luck. The only faulty discs I have received were in the last Daves Picks, and like most people, I am waiting for the replacement discs to be sent out. I agree with what you say-it is important that we speak up and communicate with each other about the service we are paying for. More attention to the quality of the discs, and less to their presentation may be appreciated.

I don't give a stuff about New Years Eve-but I must say, I played the first cd form the 12/31/76 show at Cow Palace this morning-and that is one incredible Playing in the Band! Its great when you come across an absolute pearl when you are not expecting to.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

First, I want to thank you for your very thought out and eloquently worded post. You, of course, are correct in everything you say. We, as a community of music lovers and deadheads, need to speak up about this continuing decline of quality product being released. It is a sham, a ripoff and a travesty that rhino, who obviously could care less about anything but profit, continues to release subpar product and expect us, as loyal customers, to just blindly purchase their defective product. What happened to the good old Grateful Dead? The best American rock band ever is now being reduced to the discount bin of history due to their practices. Why would anyone want to continue to purchase anything from rhino if they continue to rip their loyal customers off? We all want the music and we deserve the best, like the good old days when a Grateful Dead product was made in America, with loving care and great devotion. We DESERVE this, we pay for it and it is a slap in the face of all of us that they just laugh and say "they have no choice, they will buy anything that we put out". I, for one, will never buy another box set without listening to the reviews first and hearing what the discs sound like, what they are made of and who or where they are made. Until this blatant abuse of our loyalty and love for this band is recognized and dealt with, I will no longer just blindly purchase their product. I will never preorder another box set, unfortunately, this means no more dave's picks either, which is basically a leap of faith. Rhino and the dead.net expect us to just purchase their product without even telling us what it will be, or where it is made or what will happen if the product is defective. For rhino to just send you the same defective discs in exchange for all ready defective discs is just a slap in the face and a kick in the crotch to all of us. I totally agree with your post and could not have said it any better. It is time for us all to rage against this machine that continues to issue inferior product and laugh at us all the way to the bank. I believe in bridges, not walls, so lets bridge this gap rhino, I will gladly pay more for a quality product.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

I really appreciate your post as well as Unkle Sam’s post. The whole situation is just sad, maddening, and to say the least frustrating, I, like many others, received a defective disc 3, and I, like many others, received an email on December 13th stating that the replacement discs were to arrive at Rhino and be shipped out the following week. WELL, I’m still waiting for word about the replacement disc, but I am reserved to the fact that it will probably be defective as well. I’m also reserved to the fact that the next Dave’s Pick (#29) will have skips and defects. I totally expect this to happen. And like Unkle Sam has said, I doubt I will purchase another box set until I hear whether or not there are defective discs. This music isn’t cheap, but they are cheaply and carelessly made. In all my years, I have never had the kind of problems that I am experiencing with Rhino and dead.net. It’s a shame and quite frankly, it’s unacceptable on every level. We should all be excited about Dave’s Picks 29 later this month, but in my case, I’m kind of dreading it, because I have no reason to believe that I will not receive a defective product. The whole thing is disturbing. I mean, I receive the music in the mail, and then sit on the edge of my seat, waiting to hear a skip. It shouldn’t be that way. Nope

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Wishing everyone all the best in the new year and may all of our discs play flawlessly!

Keep the interesting insights and suggestions coming-love it!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Thanks for the update. Not what I was wanting to hear, but I appreciate the information. I am waiting for replacements for discs 1 and 3 - when they arrive I'll post as to whether or not I get replacements that work or ones that also skip.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I hear the frustration and would be too. CDs seem like simple technology. My experience: lucky with DaP 28, no defective disks but I did have two disks in the PNW box that needed replacement and Rhino got them to me within about three weeks, with one repeat request. It was in the middle of another roll-out. My two cents, if they are taking so long to get you all replacements for DaP28, it must mean they ran out and have to make a new batch. This is costing either the manufacturer (owner of the Mexico plant) or Rhino and one would hope that they learn from their mistakes and get this right. My PNW problems were deep scratches - not sure if that happens from the manufacturing equipment or human handling, but someone at Rhino does know and again, it is in their best interest to clean up this problem. This music is a treasure - let's hope they get it right this new year.
Spinning some 11-30-80 Fox Theater this morning - hadn't visited this in a while - it's helping getting my New Year in Gear! Happy New Year everybody!

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by Judysparty

Remember way back when.. days long ago.. when we used to come here to discuss the life, times and music of the Grateful Dead instead of factory defects and discs that don't play so good.

Anyway.. did a bunch of driving over the last couple weeks and perhaps the musical highlight was 12/31/81.. in my humble opinion.. one of the better later-era New Years Eve shows. Fantastic and certainly release worthy.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Was my second NYE, the first one I had any idea what was going on (first show 12/31/80), and it was and is one of my all time favorites.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

January 2, 1970, Fillmore East was my first Grateful Dead concert. 49 years ago today. I remember it quite clearly. How much tickets cost ($4.50, $5.50), where our seats were, the light show, the opening bands, thus spake zarathustra, the scene on the street. "If I told you all that went down it would burn off both your ears". 12/31/81 was my first New Years Eve Dead concert. Wild times. Thank you Ken Kesey. As for the quote "If you remember the 60s you weren't there", is inaccurate and misleading. And I love Robin Williams and Grace Slick. As for defective discs, some of you remember the 1972 Rolling Stone interview with Jerry Garcia when he talked about defective Skull and Roses vinyl that skipped and how it pissed him off. The Dead have always stood for high quality. Get it together Rhino. Happy New Years.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

You assume too much. Like for example, how do you know that the problem stems from the discs being made in Mexico is the reason there is a problem? You don't know that making them in the USA will solve anything. And how do you know that the defective disc issue resulted from a move to increase profit at Rhino (and NOT a move to prevent cost increase to the buyer?)

I've purchased literally hundreds, probably over a thousand Grateful Dead discs from Rhino at this point, and have had very few problems. The problems I have had in the past have been resolved by either Customer Support, marye, or Dr. Rhino.

Go ahead and cut off your nose to spite your face if you want, but I for one, recognize how fucking good we have it, to be able to purchase all of this music at normal prices. And the prices are normal, you just have to buy in bulk to make the system work. So don't bitch about their profit or what you're paying either.

You see that sign that says "Limited 2 copies per order?" That's Rhino listening to the people, so get that straight in your head too bro.

You'd be a much happier person with a more positive outlook, not to mention one that is better set in reality, because you do connect a lot of dots on assumption. Maybe 2019 will be a better one for you.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I was acknowledging a previous post and I also have been buying literally hundreds of discs and I can only go by what has transpired in the past with what is transpiring now. So, you do what you want to, no one told you to do anything that you don't want to do. You go ahead and blindly purchase your product and I will wait till the reviews come in and we will see who is the happier for it. I guess you have all the time in the world to chase defective disc replacements, I do not. I agree with you that most problems are corrected and Marye is the best person for getting that done. I also agree that you have every right to disagree with what I said, but your tone is rather harsh, do you work for rhino? I know in the past there were no problems with disc, then, all of a sudden, there are, what would you contribute that to? I never mentioned Mexico or inflated costs so where that came from is anybody's guess, I did state that I missed the good old days when Grateful Dead products were made in the USA, yes, and that is true, I do miss those days, but don't try and put words into the conversation that I never said. Also, if you don't think that rhino is making a rather substantial profit from these sales, than you are delusional. Finally, I stated that I would gladly pay more for a quality product, so no one was bitching about the cost, again, you jumped to your own conclusion which is way off base and just, well, wrong. I stand by what I said and if you don't like it, oh well, some folks just can't connect the dots as you put it. I do know one thing, I don't care what you think about my outlook or my grasp of reality, which, by the way, is your opinion, which is wrong again. I don't follow the limited 2 per order comment, but you started to ramble then and the rest is gibberish. I can tell by your demeanor that something I said pissed you off, might it have been the wall/bridge comment? Anyway, something I said upset you and for that I say sorry, but I call them like I see them. 2019 is going to be a great year for me, and my outlook is nothing but positive, and based in a brighter reality than you seem to have and I will continue to speak my mind even if you try and tear me down, "bro"

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by unkle sam

Included on Dick’s Picks to let you know that they weren’t studio recordings and the tapes might not be in the best condition.
Probably should have used it on the PNW Box to warn that Wall of Sound shows often start with fiddling of the controls to get it just exactly perfect. Seems that a lot of people think they have defective discs because the vocals drop out.

Now disc skipping, that’s a legitimate defect.

A new caveat emptor is now needed to warn that your CDs might contain skips.
My replacements of DaP28 CD3 are supposedly in transit but, based on the post from Judysparty, I’m wondering about the quality of the redo. If it still skips on Let It Grow then that would suggest that the negative used for pressing is defective and wasn’t replaced.
At this point I wonder if they even still physically stamp a blank, or if they just bought a couple hundred duplicators and now just burn discs.

My past defects:
5-5-77 CD2
8-24-72 CD3

Golden Road and Beyond Description Boxes (I didn’t try to get replacements):
Skull Fuck, Dead Set, and another that I don’t remember at this moment.

And a weird one with Road Trips v1n2+bonus where it plays fine on the stereo but has many skips when copied to a hard drive. I used two different computers and burners and both copies had skips and dropouts, but in different places. After making 5 copies I was able to piece together the good fragments and get a copy on my music player.

Rockin’ the Rhein:
CD3 was missing.

Other people have reported other problems over the years that I never experienced. But, it seems that the frequency and overall number of defects is increasing.
That’s not a good sign.

I forgot who said it below, the box cutter blues may have been annoying, but at least the CDs were not defective.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Lol, no I don't work for Rhino. But that's telling, that you think a rhino employee would talk to a customer like that. It just shows how out of touch you are, and belligerent toward the system. The reason I posted my comment is because you are a drag. If it were one time that would be one thing, but you complain about everything, all the time, multiple times. That's reason number one that I posted. You are a buzz kill.

Reason number two is that I don't want you to f*** it up for those of us who don't think that the occasional exchanging of discs is worth sandbagging the organization that brings us all of this great music. It has never taken me more than an email thread to resolve a product defect. I'm talking mere minutes. You on the other hand make it sound like they're pulling your fingernails out, repeatedly, about the same damn thing. I consider myself a stakeholder and you drive down the stock every time you shoot off your loud mouth. So no need to guess about my motives, you have them right here.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Have not seen a post from Bolo in a long time. Maybe concides with this release and the defective CDs?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

.... sorry I'm late, but to say I tied one on New Year's Eve would be an understatement. Didn't wake up until noon yesterday, and no, I didn't wake up to find out that I was the eyes of the world. I woke up looking for my Excedrin. Here's to a grate 2019 for everyone! Dave's Picks so far sure don't hurt very long..... shameless plug into this!!....
https://youtu.be/r0oY7OEg4Ik
....the chills start at the 15:00 mark. The chills peak at 16:45. There's an I Know You Rider in there trying to escape. Sploooooosh....then it gets really dark, and really weird. I couldn't have asked for anything more.

As I understand it, the people who speak out against receiving a poor quality service make more of a positive contribution to the culture surrounding the product in question than those who don't. Surely, if a profit making organisation can make more profit by cutting costs, they will do so. If, in cutting costs, the quality of the product deteriorates, then it is up to everyone who purchases that product to point out what has happened, with a view to rectifying the situation. If they care about what they are buying, that is.
Hopefully we have got way past the point where we are mere passive recipients.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The recent epidemic of malfunctioning discs should not be ignored or dismissed with comments like "It will all come good in the end." It should not have gone so badly wrong in the first place and Rhino should be left in no doubt that their market finds this unacceptable.

Whether or not it has anything to do with cost cutting is something Rhino is unlikely to divulge. That the discs are noticeably thinner and more flexible than the norm and that they are made in Mexico may or may not contribute to the problem, but most sentient beings could put 2 and 2 together and get 4 as the answer.

To dismiss complaining about this situation as endless whining seems so absurd that it seems aimed purely at provoking a reaction. I hesitate to use the "T-word" but how else should it be described.

My message to Rhino is: Give us quality products for our money. Surely this is not too much to ask?. What may be too much to ask is for the elusive Dr. Rhino to post an explanation of what has gone amiss recently, but it would be a nice gesture to those having so much trouble trying to resolve issues that they have with recent releases that came to a head with Dave's Picks Volume 28.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Drat. Got busy with the holidays and didn't order volume 8 of the singles collection, which now appears to have sold out. I just purchased volumes 1-7 a few months back, so assumed that there was no rush on #8, but alas! Before I pay the E-Bay vultures their blood money, does anyone happen to have one for sale, please? Private message me if you do. Thanks, and Happy New Weir, everyone!

user picture

Member for

13 years 11 months

CONTACT INFO -> TWITTER-> @lemieuxdavid

CONTACT INFO -> Email-> vault@dead.net

HEY DAVE, WHERE THE F_CK ARE YOU?

****** SHOW YOURSELF DAVID LEMIEUX *******

The fate of FUTURE Dead releases is at stake here! Don't sit there with your head up your butt.
Make some noise! Let them know this unacceptable! Demand that we get treated fairly as the Consumers !
DEMAND ANSWERS AND POSITIVE RESULTS!!!

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

I didn't see anyone suggest it was not okay to complain about defective product. I saw Trainwreck say he was tired of the "incessant" complaining from Sam. I've been here long enough to guess correctly in a multiple choice question that reads "Most likely to complain (about anything at all)"

a) MDJim
b) Lovemygirl
c) That's Otis
d) vguy
e) Unkle Sam

I would go with Unkle Sam (you do kind of dampen the mood "bro")

My disc 3 is fine on Dave's 28, so no need to spread rumors that every one is defective Judy. And using profanity toward Lemieux or anyone directly is simply not acceptable. Way too bellicose and aggressive over a stupid CD. You deserve your headache.

I have no doubt in my opinionated head that the site overhaul that we all hate was due to that guy shirdeep posting violent images and spamming the site. Now things are worse. I have no doubt in my opinionated head (yeah yeah everyone has one) that posting profane laden diatribe's at Dave Lemieux is the quickest way to get the comment board unplugged for good.

It's also laughable that the CD issues are being lumped together as some big problem on a linear scale that is getting worse with every release - FAKE NEWS. I've had one problem, discs slipping out of slip case during shipping got scratched (Get Shown the Light). New disc provided in less than a week. Talking to others, I know that box cutter situation was taken care of in a timely fashion, and they prevented some mishap due to good quality control on 30 Trips (before my time here, but I understand they delayed shipping for a month to fix a manufacturing problem).

It's okay to complain, but there are emails and phone numbers for that, so really, why bog down the musical discussion board? I don't want to read about the 20th defective disc. So there was a problem, go write 20 emails, don't write 20 posts. You just screw it up for the people who just want to hear about the awesome Slipknot on DaP 28 (disc 2:-) Or here's one Judysgarden, just stop buying the stuff. Leave the site and go on you merry way. Nobody's interested in your negative revolution here. This isn't the place. goodbye.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Deadhead Brewer.....your post concerned me as I have also recently started my own singles collection. I had only purchased vol 1-4 until today. After seeing your post I went to the 2018 subscription link and was able to order volume 5-8 as a subscription. This may not help you as you mention you already bought 1-7, but at least you know that they still have Vol 8 in stock (at least through subscription). Would surprise me if it was sold out...

My disc 3 is also fine on Dave's 28, so while definitely seems to be a widespread problem, it is not in totality. I did have one issue with a defective disc on the PNW box however it was addressed quickly and painlessly in just a few weeks by Dr. Rhino. Hopefully they make things right on 28 soon.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

I got to agree, the outrage is just a little bit more than what the situation calls for. Kicking.and screaming here isn't going to help. All things being equal, I would much rather be talking about the music than defective discs which are a marginal issue at best. So there was a problem, they're taking care of it, move on. To call out David Lemieux of Dave's Picks with profanity is nonsense. I once had an email discussion with customer support where they clearly did not read what I was saying repeatedly. Sure it was frustrating, but I did not get nuts on the message board. I escalated to Dr rhino and he solved my problem immediately.

Just by virtue of helping everybody who has had bad discs. marye is well aware of the extent of this issue and will surely get it taken care of moving forward. That is what has always happens here when there have been problems. And relatively speaking there have not been that many problems. They have had so many hundreds of individual releases with no issues whatsoever that I do think this is simply a matter of contacting the appropriate people through the appropriate channels and being patient. Some of you people make it sound like there's a conspiracy to rip off customers. The fact of the matter is, we have bonafide deadheads releasing the best stuff in the vaults for us, and we have direct contact with customer support management representatives who always get the job done.

The masses are not going anywhere because the music is that good, so complaining about it here is truly not doing anything except distracting people from talking about the music. I'm not saying don't mention it here. I'm just saying that it is a fruitless distraction to try and round up an online Posse to try to bully the guy who picks the music. You see the difference? There can be even tempered discussion about which disk somebody or the other person is having trouble with, which is fine. But verbal threats and profanity and capital letters is ridiculous.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by Mind-Left-Body

I am jealous.. what great shows to see!

As for grumpy Grumpins (or whatever the word is).. I take my lead on grumpiness from Mutley.

You Rasselfrazenrickaracketsbackenstabbenbastages. Or, stated more eloquently, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj3DBcpfMNQ

Wishing all of us, even the rassenfrassens a very happy New Year with no defective disks.

One add.. a tip of the hat to DaveRock. I must admit I am not as open and receptive as some but the world needs more folks that understand the value of tolerance, especially from people with different perspectives. It's not often you see people embrace difference, especially when it's out of our comfort zone... The GD and assoc. madness and people has taught me much and I am still learning. His posts are often quite open and tolerant even when opinions differ from what are likely his own. There's enough room for all of us, and when you start kicking people off the island.. before you know it you are the last one standing, and what fun is that?

As for MaryE, no words are suffice. And for Strider88.. if I ever got a hold of his ticket stubs, I would feed the dates into the wayback and hit each and every show.

Peace all, to my buds here and those I don't know so well.. to 2019. Onward. Oh, a quick shoutout to Otis.. what a great new years vibe.

user picture

Member for

13 years 11 months

C'mon people. First off, I'm not hiding or ignoring you like "the powers that be are". Go back to my post. I never Threatened anyone. Not once. Not even a little bit. OK. I use LARGE letters because the average age on this site sometimes is close to age 70. At that age, many people can't see things the way they used to. But if you like I can write in normal size lettering. Either way, people will always misinterpret my words or your words. It wouldn't matter what I said or how I say it, people will always blow it out of proportion.
Now, I said what I said, the way I said it, to get people to have some sort of reaction. I achieved that. That was my goal.
Too many times, most people just don't want to be bothered with reality. It's too much work. If the Dave's Pick 28 thread is not the place to talk about the problems we are having with this release, then I don't know what is.
I have tried the phone calls. I have done the emails. I have chose to blog about it because I've been patient for weeks, and actually months!
I have come to the realization that I can't do it alone anymore. I have also read other peoples complaints and problems here on this site. What I see is that we must unite and support each other. Stand together and be heard. Stand together and be seen. Someone hopefully, at dead.net and rhino might, maybe notice that we have had enough with status quo and that we need to do things differently to achieve positive results.
How is Customer Service sending us one useless disc after another solving a thing? WE don't deserve this insane nonsense.
We need to share our thoughts and devise a strategy to improve positive results from the people responsible to do so. I am calling on Dave Lemieux, because I think that the person whose name is on the whole CD series might be one person who might want to see that the Defective Disc issue is 1)- recognized and 2)- fixed the right and proper way.
Here's the thing, since Dead.net or Rhino insists on issuing Limited (numbered) Editions of shows. Then they should be prepared to spend money to resolve these kinds of problems that are coming up. The discs need to be done all over again, from scratch. Fixed. Then shipped out to the customers. Not this other nonsense they are trying to pull on us.
Also, we as deadheads, can be very, very patient people if it means we are going to get a quality product in return. So that being said, since we are the one's spending our hard earned money, we deserve a better deal by Rhino to get these things that should be done, done right.
I have thought long and hard over the B.S. that has been given to me, and I'm sure a lot of you have to. I honestly believe we can achieve positive results if we adhere to good responsible ethics.
My goal was to try to wake people up to this fact. Because we have to stand up and be counted. Not ignored.
They think that if they can ignore us long enough we will go away. And you know what? They are right. When you sell a numbered limited edition and it's bogus and doesn't get fixed, then it becomes obsolete. The whole Dave's Picks Series up to Volume 28 becomes, I don't know, worthless. It's lost it's collectors value then right?
That is what will happen when Dave's Picks 29 comes out. We will all go away, and then they don't have to deal with us or are problems until the next set of problems comes along.
We will be the losers here. We must get them to resolve these problems now. The right way.
Take what I have said and do whatever you think you must do with it. But there is one thing I have learned through the years. "If you are going to be one. Be one." PEACE!

....the only complaint I have about Dave's Picks is that they should be released monthly, not quarterly. Then again, I have had only one issue with a Dave's, and that was the Row Jimmy on the Fresno pick. And I didn't follow up with a replacement, because
a) I was lazy
b) I have a lot of awesome Row Jimmy's
c) My glass is half full
d) I was lazy
.....hint. There is no wrong answer. One wrong answer, imo, is grabbing up the pitchforks and torches and forming some sort of online mob. Leave that to the '95 Deer Creek gatecrashers. The darkness has got to give.
....and for one to say they go all caps is because a some of the heads here are 70 and can't see shit is bullshit. Funny, yet bullshit all the same. There's a thing called enlarging the font that trumps that theory. I've had to make mine bigger, and I'm only 50. Old man take a look at you now, you're a lot like me.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by jrf68@hotmail.com

....jrf68 got his volume 28 over a month later than 97.2% of the rest of us but never bitched about it! He even said thank you. But does Let It Grow skip? Was his made in Mexico? Those are hot topics to some, Apparently 😉

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by Vguy72

I mostly read these threads because:
a) I learn something
b) It cracks me up
c) I'm stoned and bored
d) I'm just a Russian Bot trying to learn English

Today the answer is (b) , It cracks me up. Nothing wrong with that.

Also, I heard from a reliable source Bolo is part of the latest caravan heading through Mexico towards the border, somewhat scarcely clad . Apparently he narrowly escaped the Saudi Embassy in Turkey only to fall into the hands of a long-lost, politically estranged Saudi Shaman. He was left naked, strung out on Ayahuasca, superglued 100 feet in the air to palm tree nuts in the most hostile part of Nicaragua, sans passports.

I am confident he will return one day, hopefully regaining most of his faculties..

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by MDJim

....misinterpretion of ones wording in this day and age is a common issue. The internet has changed society immensely. For good and ill....just try and stay positive. #1 Life Tip I can give you at this time. The Grateful Dead help me with that....unless there's a skip, then all bets are off. 😶

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

One group says they want no more skipping CDs, so they are making their voices loud and raw to rock the boat.
One group says they want no more loud, angry voices rocking the boat.
Many of the latter group note that THEIR CDs don't skip.
How about this?:
Members of the second group trade CDs with members of the first group.
Each release, this process can be repeated as needed.
Keeps the various parties satisfied without bothering our corporate benefactors, right ;)?

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by Seth Hollander

I am very supportive of those that have discs that don't play so good. It's an injustice and until Rhino makes good, they have every right to speak out.

I get it..

Until they make things right, comments will rumble over to these threads. I am completely supportive and I hope everyone is made whole.

Fix the problems and the rumbling will go away. I'd rather pay an extra couple bucks to have the highest quality CDs than have to endure this every few months, but then again.. I bet the cost of creating a product with defects outweighs the cost of doing it right in the first place.

One other point, several of the folks trying to better understand the need to complain have had bad discs/box cutter issues in the past. I don't think trading discs would help, that's an oversimplification. Both sides have valid points. I would rather talk about the mind bending properties of GD music instead of product defects though.. as soon as I get my corrected disc 3 I intend to do just that.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Seth Hollander

....you forgot the third group. The group that is thankful that these releases are even coming out to begin with. If you're at a live concert, and the PA system drops during a song for, let's say, thirty seconds, do you storm out demanding a refund or wanting to speak to the soundboard director? Of course you don't. And if you do, well, try to remember to keep that glass half full.

user picture

Member for

13 years 11 months

In reply to by Vguy72

You are talking about a hypothetical Live concert and a PA system. That's not a Limited (numbered) Edition Collectable. And trust me, if the shoe were on your foot, you would be perturbed too.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-volume-28-1.html