• 1,091 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Volume 28: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76

This year's Dave's Picks series comes to a close just as the band's getting back together again in '76. By the time the Grateful Dead hit New Jersey’s Capitol Theatre - for the very first time - on 6/17/76, they were buzzing from their reunion, armed with new and revived material, the Rhythm Devils reformed with the mischievous Mickey Hart once again behind the kit. They'd skived off the unwieldy Wall of Sound and scaled back the venues from cavernous arenas to intimate theatres. Quite the treat!

During the first set, the Dead's playing was nuanced ("Cold Rain And Snow"), detailed ("Looks Like Rain"), and intricate ("The Music Never Stopped"); the singing struck softly ("Row Jimmy") and raised hairs ("Ship Of Fools"). But it’s the big barreling energy of the second set you’ll want to brace yourself for, replete with a disco'd "Dancing In The Streets," a low-down funky “Help”>”Slip”>”Franklin's” and a wind 'em up to wind down "Let It Grow">"Wharf Rat">"Around and Around." Can you keep up? There's only one way to find out.

This complete show, balanced out with a couple of bonus tracks from 6/23/76 and 6/28/76, was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 28 is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

Grab a copy before they're gone, gone, gone.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • gep82363@yahoo.com

I just discovered the skip in let it grow , I hope it’s not too late to get a replacement disc, can you help?

• gep82363@yahoo.com

Help, I just discovered the let it grow skip on disc 3 and I emailed dr rhino I hope it’s not to late to get a replacement disc.

• Charlie3

I feel your pain. I was unable to get a copy of DaP 28 that didn't skip on the CD player I had at the time. That was a Sony that was a few years old. It worked flawlessly with all of my other CD's. I recently got a new CD player, a basic Onkyo 6 disc changer, and lo and behold the DaP 28 replacement CD's that skipped on my Sony played without issue on the Onkyo. I don't know what the difference is, or why my Sony only had a problem with DaP 28, but I thought that I would let you know what my experience was with this release. Other than whatever causes the release to skip on some players, it is a stellar show.

• marye
    send me a PM and I'll see what I can do. Also, are the discs skipping on multiple players, or just one, for purposes of troubleshooting this?
  • crussak
    Default Avatar

Hi,
    I have gotten the complete run around on getting a replacement disc for disc #3. I have been sent 6 different copies of it and they all stop or skip on Track #4 (Let It Grow). I was told they finally figured out there was a defect in manufacturing, but I kept getting the same old defective discs. In emailing the situation to Doc at Rhino I have not gotten any replies back from emails sent to him in May, July and August. Either he does not work there anymore or he doesn't care. Customer Service is truly atrocious.

• daverock

Mine arrived at the end of last week, and I am pleased and relived that they both-discs 1 and 3 play through perfectly.
    As a consequence of receiving these discs, I listened to the whole show again, for the first time since it initially arrived. And I am well impressed. It rolls along very smoothly indeed-beautiful ensemble playing. True, the high wire jamming from the years up to 1974 has mysteriously disappeared, but its a tuneful and pleasing set. Very nice piano playing.

• icecrmcnkd

I just replied to you on the DaP29 board.
    Thought you were referring to your original replacement.
    So now you have 3 defective copies. That sucks. They need to send you a new complete DaP28.

• Charlie3

Got my replacement disc 3 today, no replacement for disc 1. Oh yeah, and the disc 3 replacement skips again. This doesn't happen with any of the other several hundred CD's that I have, including my other dead releases. BOHICA. At this point it is more of a drag to continue dealing with the issue than to write off the possibility of having a skip free version of the release. I guess I appreciate the effort, but it accomplished nothing for my situation.

• icecrmcnkd

No Skips or other noticeable defects.
    Thanks Marye and Rhino for making things right.

• daverock

I sent a personal message to Marye at the end of last year to tell her that discs 1 and 3 were faulty in my Daves Picks 28. She said she would send my message on to someone called Dr Rhino. About two weeks ago I sent her another pm to see if there was any progress. A few days later I got an email from Dr Rhino, telling me that there was a fault in the pressing of the original discs. Not all were affected, but a substantial amount were, apparently. He said they were looking into it, and that I would be sent a replacement disc-but that he couldn't say when this would be.

So...it might be worth sending a PM to Marye, or this Dr Rhino, and maybe you will get replacement later in the year.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 5 months

Dave's Picks Volume 28: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76

This year's Dave's Picks series comes to a close just as the band's getting back together again in '76. By the time the Grateful Dead hit New Jersey’s Capitol Theatre - for the very first time - on 6/17/76, they were buzzing from their reunion, armed with new and revived material, the Rhythm Devils reformed with the mischievous Mickey Hart once again behind the kit. They'd skived off the unwieldy Wall of Sound and scaled back the venues from cavernous arenas to intimate theatres. Quite the treat!

During the first set, the Dead's playing was nuanced ("Cold Rain And Snow"), detailed ("Looks Like Rain"), and intricate ("The Music Never Stopped"); the singing struck softly ("Row Jimmy") and raised hairs ("Ship Of Fools"). But it’s the big barreling energy of the second set you’ll want to brace yourself for, replete with a disco'd "Dancing In The Streets," a low-down funky “Help”>”Slip”>”Franklin's” and a wind 'em up to wind down "Let It Grow">"Wharf Rat">"Around and Around." Can you keep up? There's only one way to find out.

This complete show, balanced out with a couple of bonus tracks from 6/23/76 and 6/28/76, was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 28 is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

Grab a copy before they're gone, gone, gone.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by Exile On Main St.

...what site did you find and use, I’m interested in reading if you could share with the board (me). :)
Gratefully appreciate it if possible. :)

user picture

Member for

5 years 7 months

http://bozosandbolos.blogspot.com/?m=1

This site is so retarded. I was already logged in, but it wouldn't let me post a comment. It told me I had to log in, so I kept hitting the login button, but it only took me to the top of the page, not to anywhere that I could actually enter my login credentials. So I started from the beginning of the site and logged in, but there's no Dave's Picks 28 in the music section anymore. I had to use my bookmark. That took me to Dave's Picks 28, but of course then I wasn't logged in anymore. Retarded. I'm not even sure what magic combination of buttons I hit to finally be able to post a comment here.

Anyway, so the link I found this posted at the top here. Lovemygirl, what notes do you have in your journal for other shows? I guess you keep those on your phone? I have a phone that lets you write notes on, and I tried doing it for songs once but it got a little bit cumbersome so I stopped.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by Exile On Main St.

... over the years, especially when I was younger, I started hand written journals very much in the format Dick used ( photos included in some releases ) also on my old computer I had lots of journals, notes, reviews, newspaper articles ect. Anything about the dead I could get my hands on. Started with reel to reels to vinyl to cassette to digital. In that order. My telephone is much simpler in terms of journal entries. More notes or list of shows I have, had and still look about for. I’ve been blessed from some members on this board with some Primo recordings on cd because I have no computer. I’m so humble for all the work everyone put into making them, you know you you are ;) over the years I’ve seen my Grateful Dead collection thin out do to my need for medical bills which is a bummer and I gulp every time a piece leaves my collection but in the end I believe it all comes back home some how some way. Even when it looks like rain the Grateful Dead can make you smile smile smile!
Thank you for sharing the link, I shall enjoy reading it. I enjoyed reading Dead essays website. Very rich loads of information about the good ol Grateful Dead the greatest band ever :)
Rock on brother and sisters, god bless!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Interestingly, in his book Billy talks about Row Jimmy being one of his favorite tunes to play on. Here's a nice one:
https://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1977/04/27/row-jimmy?source=91078

Oh, and 4-21-78 needs Norman's attention. Not sure if they will get to this one first, or some of the stuff between 4-6 and 4-16 (some which they probably just got back.) Set II Playin' sandwich is one of the best.
Playin' In The Band-> Drums-> Stella Blue-> Truckin'-> Playin' In The Band

-edit- Incidentally, 4-21-78 also has a Row Jimmy which I'm enjoying right now. :-)
-re-edit- Oh, and this one has Bobby on slide, not Jerry. For all you Bobby slide lovers.

It was never a favourite of mine, but unexpectedly it was a highlight of the first show I saw-in London in March 1981, and again, blow me, on 30th October 1990. Not the highlight of either show-but really, really good, nevertheless.

user picture

Member for

7 years

In reply to by daverock

Perhaps some of the discontent is the result of seemingly nonsensical lyrics, but it clearly had some meaning to Hunter.

I enjoyed many of the comments on David Dodd's Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics project. I think it's one of those songs that's so vague yet there is a lot of imagery there.. and the music has a dreamlike quality to it.. so if you let it form a bit - especially if you were in a dream like state to begin with, it tends to take on a unique personal meaning to the listener.

"It may sound silly, but because my name is Julie, I have always felt a special connection with this song.

When I was first being initiated into the Dead scene, I spent a LOT of time around half moon bay doing LOTS of LSD. The whole world was very alive to me, and there are certain musical works that really remind me of this time. Santana and John Mayall both have album covers that remind me of this time, and Call Any Vegetable and From the Heart of Me world of the unbelieveable [sic]. There was one particular time, when I felt like I was losing it (I was terrified over some delusion) and something happened with a jackrabbit. It's a little vague, but that line brings me to a memory of a time when I overcame fear, when I was swimming in enlightenment and confusion, and a time I lived a life where ordinary reality was absolutely suspended and I was able to open passages I cherish now. It was the beginning of a new life for me in many ways. By catching the rabbit.. I grasped an ambiguous and ever expanding indescribable concept. Come back stepping... is how I was transformed. The ability I have to rise above the mundane plane at shows and on other special occasions (when the contributing factors are aligned) can easily be described as walking on air. Getting comfortable with alternative realms happened to me out there between the Ocean and Hwy. 1.

Get back home... speaks to me of straying from a constructive path. Something of paramount importance when you have access to heightened awareness (inherent power).. for everybody's benefit. Deciding to acknowledge the responsibility of recognizing one's own power is a lot like jumping into a place with no visible means of support, initially. (Hitting the air). It takes incredible luck, self control, experience, meditation, guidance, and practice to find a way to deal with this realm (the double twist). It seems the effort is rewarded (the half dollar). But the reward is always token and passing.. for you are never in a place where you can relax and be aforded [sic] slack.

Look at Julie down below... "

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Thanks for Sharing this Jeff. I did not know about this "blog". Going back to read past episodes now. The last episode that you posted is timely. Reminded me of the release of History Channel's "Project Blue Book" Episode 1, which aired earlier this week, and their depiction of UFO or maybe weather balloon sightings???

Anyone else watching "Project Blue Book" or into "Ancient Aliens". Admittedly, I can't get enough!

Interesting post about the lyrics-which do add an extra dimension to the song. But its actually the pace of the song that puts me off a bit. I seem to like songs more for their rhythm, and then maybe their melody, than I do for the actual content of the lyrics. I also like up tempo songs, as a rule, more than slower songs. Friend of the Devil, for example, was much better for me in its earlier days, when it swung, than later on when it turned into a ballad.
I quite like seemingly nonsensical lyrics, as it happens. You are talking to a man who likes King Crimson, after all.

user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

COLLECTS

HIS DUES

WHILE

THE BOYS SING

ROUND

THE FIRE

~ 12.26.79 ~

user picture

Member for

7 years

In reply to by mbarilla

That whole show rocks..

79 seems to be getting a lot of traction these days. I wonder if Betty recorded the entire five show New Year's run? The 26th, 28th and most of the 30th have been released. There is a partial soundboard that circulates from the 27th, what's left of the 30th and the 31st. I believe New Years was recorded on video too, perhaps only black and white??

Still.. these represent some of better two track reel to reel masters, a rarity for 79 (and beyond). 12/26 was special.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

....Phish is right up your alley my friend!
Last five time!!
Dead Kennedys - Plastic Surgery Disaster
Over The Rhine- Good Dog Bad Dog
Day Of The Dead - Disc 3
GOGD - Seattle 6.26.73. Playin' & The Second Set
Led Zeppelin - Presence

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

how many days until our new cd

user picture

Member for

9 years 11 months

how many days until our new cd

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

This is what I sent WMG

Thanks for the replacement CD but it still skips in the EXACT same place it skipped before

Getting same skips as everyone else on Dave’s Picks Vol 28 - Disc 3 Track 4 at the 1:40 minute mark (Let it Grow). I tried on 4 CD players and 3 PCs and skips on all of them.

Had similar problems with Pacific Northwest ’73-’74 release - you sent me 2 replacement discs and all of them skipped so you finally refunded me the money (thanks – I ended up buying digital version).

What the heck is going on with your manufacturer??? I noticed on the last couple I ordered that the CDs are made in Mexico (at least that’s what the shrink wrap had stamped on it). WTFrack is going on down there? There is definitely a quality issue. I’ve been buying Dead vinyl and CDs since late 60’s/early 70’s and only one CD with skipping issues before the last two CDs I received from you.

blueboy714

...after talking about Europe 72’ the other day about ‘Munich’ got me thinking about Daves Pick #24, Berkeley August 1972’ . I grabbed it off my shelf and put it in my player. I gotta say I really enjoy this release. I think Dave gave us fans a great show with excellent audio quality. Two thumbs up for releasing this show from the vault. 72’ is an era of its own and the quality of the dead’s playing during this point in their career and dealing with record company business as well during this time frame. A lot was going on in 1972 behind the doors of the Grateful Dead.
Love the second disc with a sweet ‘ Bird Song’ and a beautiful version of ‘Friend of the Devil’.
The third disc contains a spaced out ‘Other One’ that leads into ‘Stella Blue’ which has some fine guitar work by Jerry & Bob. The show ends with ‘Sugar Magnolia’ with great vocals by Bob, Jerry and Phil! Daves pick 24 is a ‘Primo’ (lol) release in my book. :)
...eager to watch Daves ‘seaside chat’ and listen to the music sample provided next week for volume #29!...

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

... I would love a box set for the ‘Pacific Northwest’ Tour 68’ recordings used to complete the Grateful Dead’s second album, ‘Anthem of the Sun’
Jan. 20th 1968 - Eureka
Jan. 26-27th 1968 - Eagles Auditorium, Seattle
Feb. 2-3rd 1968 - Crystal Ballroom, Portland
Feb. 14th 1968 - Carousel Ballroom, S.F.
Feb. 22-24th 1968 - Kings Beach, Lake Tahoe
March 15-17th - Carousel Ballroom, S.F.
March 29-31st - Carousel Ballroom, S.F.
And they used 11/10-11/67 - Shrine Expo, L.A.
...portions of some of these shows have been released over the years I believe... :)

I can never refuse an invite to list the last 5 I have played-so here goes;

Munich 5/18 72-like most people! Amazing bass on Dark Star
Lucky Charms Michael Messer
The Centennial Collection Robert Johnson
Wild Heart Samantha Fish

Muddy "Mississippi" Waters Live -from his time with Johnny Winters in the late 70s

Phish just don't draw me in, I'm afraid. As ever, people on here have been very generous, forwarding live downloads, but there's something about them that puts me off. I can't quite figure what it is, and I'll admit I haven't given them a fair chance. Not everything's for everyone, I guess.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by daverock

the skipping discs are Mexico's revenge for this border wall BS.

last five non-GD:
Swans Cop
Swans Filth
Swans Greed
Swans Public Castration is a Good Idea and other live stuff
Godflesh Streetcleaner

keep listening to that good ol' GD, lads.

I got an awesome gift over the holidays...my source let me have a BUNCH of his GD. Like, a BUNCH.

best band ever, that GD is.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

I took a couple weeks off over the holidays, and also my laptop crashed. It still plays iTunes (thank God), but will never again connect to the internet. I think I'm done with garbage PC's and will be looking into my first ever Mac. Everyone says they're well worth the investment, and after all the work I've had done on that toilet Dell over the years, I should have taken the plunge last time. Oh well.

The more things change, the more they never do here. I see that traffic is finally back up, but, much of it concerning damaged product. I'll state my case on all that once more (because I can). If a disc does not play, Rhino should make it right. It is, after all, all about the MUSIC. As far as all the rest of the packaging woes, well, to each his own. I'll never forget that one Nancy boy whining that "his booklet was creased." No! Ye gods, say it isn't so.

What I have been listening to in the car the past couple days is the Complete Live Rarities Collection. Whoa! Awesome stuff.

2019 is going to be... an interesting year. Peace everyone.

\m/

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Just saw where these shows will be released on Spotify.....

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Yes sir, throw that Dell in the trash. You will never regret it....especially if you already own an iPhone and have been integrated to Apple products...I threw out my Dell, and after 3.5 years my Mac book pro is still runnin like a champ! It’s a no brainer IMO....

Say good by to long restarts and other bullshit shat you are used to with the Dell...and also GO CHIEFS!!!!! (Had to throw that in there)

Rock On,
CJ

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

...I concur, go with the Mac , it’s worth every penny! You’ll thank us Mac lovers after your purchase IMHO... I miss my Mac :(
“Complete Live Rarities Collection. Whoa! Awesome stuff.” Primo release! I love it. Wait I think I’m getting that confused with the RSD release ...

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

...posted by Daverock
Any excellent and important statement. I love it!

* Diversity
The greater the range of opinions expressed on here the more I like it. It was interesting reading all those comments on that recent 1983 Pick before it arrived-so many conflicting reports. In a way, it seems to me, the strength of a community lies in its capacity to absorb differences, not to desire or push for uniformity.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

I couldn’t agree with you more...the varying opinions, and I think the true passion for the music that binds. Even to the Nancy Boy (LOL) that bitched about his creased booklet, I say, well at least he gives a shit about the greatest band ever in some form...can almost guarantee that he’s see more shows than me!

Love this board...has become a daily obsession for me and it’s very pleasin’....Dave Rock’s knowledge alone of the various options outside of the GOGD could keep you busy for years...thank you sir! I do think a Live Phish show should be in your future before you cast your final dice on the band.

Tonight: I’m listening/watching Phil’s Winter Hootenany recorded last night at Terrapin Xing.....it’s excellent!!!! Free on You Tube Nugs TV

...great post! I agree with what you wrote as well.
But sorry to say, I too, am not a fan of Phish. I just could never get into them. They are all fine musicians and all but the only timed I enjoyed listening to them play was performing other artists songs. Like the Beatles ‘White Album’ on Halloween. I’m a big fan of the Beatles and my favorite album is the ‘White Album’ plus I always enjoy hearing cover versions of songs. It’s was pretty interesting, not something I would listen too quit often but I wouldn’t mind owning the album to be honest with you. Non of my friends are phish fans and I don’t have the funds to purchase the official Phish release to add to my music collection. I also thought Trey did a great job during the ‘Far thee Well’ tour! ... have a grateful day everyone!!! Smile smile smile :) :) :)

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

Mexico's revenge, that's funny but now that 45 has caused this, we need a new pres. Mac's are the way to go guys. I went to the everglades for Phish's 1999>2000 new years celebration, my first and only bunch of Phish shows, even after that, still not a fan and I didn't care for Trey in the fare the well shows, but the fireworks on that new years eve were the best I've ever seen and that drum circle in the woods was awesome, very tribal , ancient feeling. As far as freedom to express one's opinion on this board, I agree, but there are some who will use that as an excuse to personally attack you because you have a different opinion then them. probably the same ones who support the wall, lol, what rubes.

I have tried for years to get into Phish.. every now and then I see a spark. I really liked their Halloween shows when they played, for example.. the whole White Album, Quadrophenia and the like.

A couple weeks ago in the truck I changed the channel to Jam On (must have been playing One More Saturday Night or something on the GD Channel) and arrived in the middle a really interesting instrumental piece. Hard driving and hypnotic, compelling.. I think they have the chops. I will continue to keep an open mind.

I enjoy most topics discussed here.. so long as things don't dissolve into negativity or personal attacks. I guess some of the same old subjects get recycled way too easy too, but in part the music drives some of this. If it's light hearted, informative, related to music or loosely related to the music, times and life of the GD.. Life and times can carry subjects a bit, but usually that's ok. Some of the people here and have insights into topics that are interesting to me. Mostly a fun group. Fun is good.

I like Apple products, but recently started switching away and am happier (and wealthier) for it. Sorry to anyone who works there or is very happy with their machines. I got pissed that they weren't allowing memory chips in their phones so we could swap out music and add a bigger library without deleting and replacing.. plus, sorry.. but they have become overpriced and have always been a little proprietary for my liking. As for PCs.. Macs are fine and excel in media, no question about that.. but are overpriced and limited. For me, it's harder to do database work in a Mac and I plug into systems and use software that Macs just don't do so well at or cannot do at all. HP's and Dells have given me problems over the years.. hard drive and motherboard crashes in young machines, etc. (again, sorry for anyone that works there or is happy w/ their machines), I'm done with them.. I love my Thinkpad X1 Carbon.. 1TB internal flash-type storage, lightning fast, semi-spill proof and ok with very hot and very cold temps.. I beat the crap out of my machines and this one has lasted much longer than expected. Oh.. super light and thin too. Sorry mac uses but when it comes to crunching large amounts of data.. they suck and yes.. I have tried. Fine for spreadsheets, word, music, photo's and movies but not so good for interconnectivity and kicking ass on large datasets. No one winner, no wrong answers, more personal preference and no, Macs simply are not better at everything than PCs.

I just hope my thinkpads aren't working as a spybots for the Chinese government!

Excited for the Swing, curious about the box set.. Plangent for all I say! Happy New Year..

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by MDJim

Mac Mini (new 2018 version)
Mac Mini
Mac Mini
MacBook Pro (previous model with 1TB spinning HD and DVD burner)
iMac (think it’s a 2011/12)

Use all of them. Often try to get 3 of them running at the same time to increase my productivity. One processing audio, another processing video, another burning discs. Yeah I still burn discs, CD’s, DVD’s, BluRays. Have 3 BluRay burners, ran 2 last night and burned 12 BD-R’s while watching hockey. My audio collection is in multiple formats - AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, AAC-320 kbps (my car will only play lossy mp3’s from a USB flash drive), so having several computers allows me to get a lot of file converting done.

Also still have 2 white plastic MacBooks. One I bought used several years ago and just use it to collect torrents. FYI, there are new Charlie Miller’s being added to etree regularly.

Have been using PC’s at work for years, even used to use a Sun Workstation for some things. For that reason I do have a Dell laptop at home, but rarely use it. Stupid thing can’t run Windows 10 because, and this is according to Dell Customer Support - it needs a driver that Dell has no intention of creating. Because they want me to buy a new Dell. Which I’m not going to do.

I use iTunes to store audio files on a HD, but I do not ever use iTunes on my iPhone or iPad. I do have a 60 GB iPod classic but generally only use that on airplanes.
For a music player I have an iBasso DX80: dual micro SDXC slots, up to 1TB each, plays lossless formats, and has an optical out port for connecting to the stereo. It’s awesome.

Phish? I stopped seeing them in 1998. Periodically will watch some of the modern stuff on YouTube which confirms that I don’t need to try to get back into them. The ‘new stuff’ doesn’t do it for me, but I do like to watch them play the songs from the early 90’s.
Slave to the Traffic Light is my favorite Phish song. There’s a good version of it on Live Phish.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

4-25-77 (4 LP’s)
5-21-74 Playing in the Band (1 LP)

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

I'm glad I'm free to express my opinion, because I'm tired of your sniveling about TRUMP. Go find a political message board to piss and moan on. You sound like an big baby. This board's for the Dead. I feel a little bit sorry for you, because you're obviously a miserable old sod.

Dave's Picks 18. I love the mix on this. Jerry sounds so loud and isolated, and so does Keith. I don't listen to a lot of 1976, mainly because I just haven't gotten around to it yet being a fairly new deadhead. And I figured it was 1977 without the Terrapin Station songs. And Fire on the Mountain I guess that was from Shakedown Street. But I now hear a whole lot of piano that you don't get in 77 and 78 oh, and I like it. Going Down The Road Feeling Bad, Not Fade Away, and One More Saturday Night future a lot of great piano work from Mr. Godchaux. Those are songs that I usually don't get too into, but they really hit the spot here. Dave's 18.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

....that's what I'm gonna do." Truer words haven't been spoken. You win again.
no politics please. I come here partially to get away from that. Pretty please?

I think you are confusing having the right to express your opinion with having the right to attack other posters. Maybe it would be better if you followed your own advice and stuck to The Dead.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Well, since we're talking about it here's my 2cents.

It appears to me that Unkle Sam mixed in a little trolling in his post and took the opportunity to let us know he was against the wall, and also to let us know that anyone who didn't share his view is a rube, and just the sort of person who would launch a personal attack on him based on his view. This seems like a pre-emptive strike by Unkle Sam against anyone who doesn't share his view and certainly seems like it could be construed as an "attack" on those who don't share his view. After all, he is stating that the people who don't share his view are rubes, hardly a positive description, and that they are the type of person who would attack him for his views. Is it irony that he is at the same time attacking and denigrating those with views different from his own?

Butch appears to have gotten annoyed by Unkle's trolling and called him out on his pretty regular political bitching, usually couched in terms of letting us all know how much he dislikes the president and his policies. It seems to me that this was a predictable response to Unkle's comment, and pretty much what happens everytime someone brings up politics on these threads. The only question was who would respond.

If you want to make snide comments, that's cool, some are even amusing, but don't be surprised when your snark leads to more of the same in response. Unkle referred to a whole swath of people as rubes and Butch referred to Unkle as a big baby whining about his political views on deadnet. Both engaged in behavior that could be considered an attack on others, neither is really something to get worked up about, and each really is about expressing negative opinions, which after all, are still opinions. If you aren't free to express a negative opinion, you don't really have free expression. The price of free expression is listening to the free expression of others, even when you disagree.

Valid points. Lets not let things get too barbed and personal though. ..which is a drag to read at least to me. I'm not defending Unkle, you can see these things coming, point then counter point and on and on. But it seemed the tone changed more than it had to to get ones point across.

It's likely we share more in common than what sets us apart, we should remember this. ..at least I believe it to be true. Comments like these are a sign of the times I guess.. but I do agree with Charlie that making posts that put people down, which was present in both aforementioned posts, does little to move things along it just brings it all to a screeching halt.

It accomplishes nothing.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Dave Rock and Jim in MD - FYI I have a good chunk of Phish and sent the both of you an email containing every Phish show ever done. This totaled up to 5000 gig, so if you think your email is hung, it's just downloading my file. Should only take 6 or 7 days. Enjoy

Love My Girl - sent PM

Last 5 is always odd here. I work in a head shop and we play music all day. I work with mostly kids so I hear a lot of new. Currently I'm working on a massive collection of Harry 'Scrappy' Lambert, this guy seem to sing with every big band of the 20's and 30's. So I sucking in hits like, "walkin' my baby back home", "am I blue" and who could forget, "run up the steps, knock on the door, shout hallelujah, cause I'm home"! As Greg Kihn would sing many years later, "they just don't write them like that anymore".

Been listening to a band my buddy sent me called "Na'Bodach",,,,,, new celtic(?)

The jorma and jack album released by Owsley is nice.

The Dylan live 62-66 rare performances is nice and that last Dylan bootleg collection (more blood, more tracks) very nice.

I picked up a Elvis live at MSG 1972,,, what can you say,,, elvis,,,, I don't think elvis music has aged well.

In the vein of old 78 rpm stuff, bought a collection of Buddy Clark (more just for the song "Linda", have this in my 78 collection).

Finally, who is this "Nancyboy"? I've searched all the posting and can not find that user. :-)

Edit - have a chuckle over this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8dfZ3N_c2E

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Dennis, that post had me cracking up. Hopefully MDJim and Daverock will let us all know their thoughts after giving the 5000 GB Phish download a listen.

My recent listening has been pretty spread out, but recent listens include the DaP 28 show, which I like in every way except for the skips, and the Dreambowl show from 2/22/69, one of my favorites from the 30 Trips box. Next to 2/27/69, the 2/22/69 Darkstar is probably my favorite at this point, or at least until I listen to another one. Recent listens also include Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs by Derek and the Dominoes, new deluxe edition with an extra disc of performances from the Johnny Cash TV Show and other locales. Good stuff, never listened to the entire album before, but it smokes. Also listened to some Yardbirds lately, and Soul Station by Hank Mobley, Stop Making Sense (expanded edition) by Talking Heads and Physical Graffiti by Led Zeppelin, something that I haven't listened to in a while.

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

So at the gym this morning listening to music on shuffle and Going Down the Road Feeling Bad pops up from the Missoula MT show, Dave's Picks something..... wow smoking hot to the point after the jam and before Weir gets hit with a cup, Weir even gives a shout...... maybe because i listened to it without the NFA intro (also which is good) but I never associate GDTRFB with a killer jam... (my fault).... be good bob t

user picture

Member for

7 years

In reply to by Dennis

I started to download your file Dennis.. using my dialup connection, it looks like it will take just under 32 years to finish. So I won't be able to use my phone for 32 years, give or take. I can live with that.

Thinking about all the other things and how interconnected each post is to the next reply, etc... I take full responsibility for the downturn in collective vibe. So in the hopes to move things a long, I am setting the wayback machine to yesterday.. if I say Macs are way better, that should fix things..

I apologize for the mess I inadvertently created. In the future I promise to steer clear of controversial and unhealthy opinions and topics.

On a separate note, thinking of switching religions. Which one is the absolute best?
Onward.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

Scrappy Lambert sounds more fun than Phish!

I have bought a few live Elvis shows on cd or dvd over the last few years, and it is not always a pleasant experience. It should be...in James Burton he had one of the best telecaster players of all time, but, especially in the context of the times, he is never given space to play. Tantalisingly brief glimpses, where he does his legendary banjo runs, but then we are back to the king, and more schmaltz. I am not keen on the big ballads he did at that time- modern pop songs of the day- things like Something or Bridge Over Troubled Water. A terrible waste. The best cds I got were the 1969 In Person and 1970 On Stage-both at Las Vegas

Mind you, compared to the Taking Care of Business Band, fronted by James Burton and featuring a Nordic looking Elvis impersonator, that I saw last year-the Elvis of 1972 was like Motorhead.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I'd forgotten about this one. This is the release that turned me from '76 skeptic to enthusiast. One of the hangups I'd had was that several releases from '76 had poor to mediocre sound quality (for example, Dave's 4 and 30 Trips, poor; Dick's 20 and 33 mediocre). But yeah, I really enjoy the mix here on DaP 18 (Road Trips '76 too). The Cow Palace show of course hails from a multi-track, and with the exception of unusually high tape hiss toward the beginning, is pretty solid. Anyway, blabbering on here. The point is, this show is great, so is DaP 28, and there is a case to be made for Scarlet Begonias in 1976. The jams in the 2nd half of the song are fantastic. As best I recall, the '77 / '78 versions that precede FOTM don't have as good a 2nd half jam. Since I primarily listen on digital copies ripped from CD to lossless to phone, I took the liberty of throwing in the Help => Slipknot! => Franklin's Tower from 7/12 (opening night at that Orpheum run), which, let's face it, should have been used as bonus material before all the repeats we got from 7/16 :-D

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

The Terrapins left the Station on January 1, with my discs strapped to their shells. They have yet to arrive. Facing winter currents down around the edge of Patagonia, perhaps.

Pretty sure this year's DaP series is my last purchase with Rhino and Warner. Wilco Tango Foxtrot, WMG?

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I notice Live Dead 69 are coming back to England soon-reprising the Dead's set at Woodstock, too. I still haven't caught this band, although they seem to come over here quite often, and are the last remnants, as far as I know, of Dead culture to be seen on these shores. Not counting cover bands.
Hey, maybe The Stones should get together, and reprise their set from Altamont. Don't push any bikes over, if they do...

user picture

Member for

7 years

In reply to by daverock

I have noticed that.. someone in that band must really like the UK. No tour dates announced here in the states.. I've been trying to catch them.

Kind of ironic, but in a good way. It's good to see better access across the pond. I'd go if they were playing local and I had the chance, what's one have to lose?

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

Happy New Year everyone. I always knew that the China Rider from DP 13 and Road Trips WOS were hot, but I fail to realize that these are just symptomatic of 1974 in general. All the China Riders seem this good to me. I guess I should say the China Cats at least. I was enjoying Dave's Picks 13 this weekend, and it dawned on me that this China Rider is right up there with the other two that I mentioned. Started going through my library, and realized that all the China cats are in the 8 to 9 minute range. 1972 used to be my go to year for this beloved combo, but tight though they are, the 1974 renditions trade in Precision for exploration. That's okay with me.

Gus West, just curious, what will you do to get your new fix of Dead music without the Dave's Picks subscription? I haven't had any problems myself, and I have also purchased hundreds of shows these guys.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-volume-28-1.html