• 1,091 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Volume 28: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76

This year's Dave's Picks series comes to a close just as the band's getting back together again in '76. By the time the Grateful Dead hit New Jersey’s Capitol Theatre - for the very first time - on 6/17/76, they were buzzing from their reunion, armed with new and revived material, the Rhythm Devils reformed with the mischievous Mickey Hart once again behind the kit. They'd skived off the unwieldy Wall of Sound and scaled back the venues from cavernous arenas to intimate theatres. Quite the treat!

During the first set, the Dead's playing was nuanced ("Cold Rain And Snow"), detailed ("Looks Like Rain"), and intricate ("The Music Never Stopped"); the singing struck softly ("Row Jimmy") and raised hairs ("Ship Of Fools"). But it’s the big barreling energy of the second set you’ll want to brace yourself for, replete with a disco'd "Dancing In The Streets," a low-down funky “Help”>”Slip”>”Franklin's” and a wind 'em up to wind down "Let It Grow">"Wharf Rat">"Around and Around." Can you keep up? There's only one way to find out.

This complete show, balanced out with a couple of bonus tracks from 6/23/76 and 6/28/76, was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 28 is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

Grab a copy before they're gone, gone, gone.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • gep82363@yahoo.com

I just discovered the skip in let it grow , I hope it’s not too late to get a replacement disc, can you help?

• gep82363@yahoo.com

Help, I just discovered the let it grow skip on disc 3 and I emailed dr rhino I hope it’s not to late to get a replacement disc.

• Charlie3

I feel your pain. I was unable to get a copy of DaP 28 that didn't skip on the CD player I had at the time. That was a Sony that was a few years old. It worked flawlessly with all of my other CD's. I recently got a new CD player, a basic Onkyo 6 disc changer, and lo and behold the DaP 28 replacement CD's that skipped on my Sony played without issue on the Onkyo. I don't know what the difference is, or why my Sony only had a problem with DaP 28, but I thought that I would let you know what my experience was with this release. Other than whatever causes the release to skip on some players, it is a stellar show.

• marye
    send me a PM and I'll see what I can do. Also, are the discs skipping on multiple players, or just one, for purposes of troubleshooting this?
  • crussak
    Default Avatar

Hi,
    I have gotten the complete run around on getting a replacement disc for disc #3. I have been sent 6 different copies of it and they all stop or skip on Track #4 (Let It Grow). I was told they finally figured out there was a defect in manufacturing, but I kept getting the same old defective discs. In emailing the situation to Doc at Rhino I have not gotten any replies back from emails sent to him in May, July and August. Either he does not work there anymore or he doesn't care. Customer Service is truly atrocious.

• daverock

Mine arrived at the end of last week, and I am pleased and relived that they both-discs 1 and 3 play through perfectly.
    As a consequence of receiving these discs, I listened to the whole show again, for the first time since it initially arrived. And I am well impressed. It rolls along very smoothly indeed-beautiful ensemble playing. True, the high wire jamming from the years up to 1974 has mysteriously disappeared, but its a tuneful and pleasing set. Very nice piano playing.

• icecrmcnkd

I just replied to you on the DaP29 board.
    Thought you were referring to your original replacement.
    So now you have 3 defective copies. That sucks. They need to send you a new complete DaP28.

• Charlie3

Got my replacement disc 3 today, no replacement for disc 1. Oh yeah, and the disc 3 replacement skips again. This doesn't happen with any of the other several hundred CD's that I have, including my other dead releases. BOHICA. At this point it is more of a drag to continue dealing with the issue than to write off the possibility of having a skip free version of the release. I guess I appreciate the effort, but it accomplished nothing for my situation.

• icecrmcnkd

No Skips or other noticeable defects.
    Thanks Marye and Rhino for making things right.

• daverock

I sent a personal message to Marye at the end of last year to tell her that discs 1 and 3 were faulty in my Daves Picks 28. She said she would send my message on to someone called Dr Rhino. About two weeks ago I sent her another pm to see if there was any progress. A few days later I got an email from Dr Rhino, telling me that there was a fault in the pressing of the original discs. Not all were affected, but a substantial amount were, apparently. He said they were looking into it, and that I would be sent a replacement disc-but that he couldn't say when this would be.

So...it might be worth sending a PM to Marye, or this Dr Rhino, and maybe you will get replacement later in the year.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 6 months

Dave's Picks Volume 28: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76

This year's Dave's Picks series comes to a close just as the band's getting back together again in '76. By the time the Grateful Dead hit New Jersey’s Capitol Theatre - for the very first time - on 6/17/76, they were buzzing from their reunion, armed with new and revived material, the Rhythm Devils reformed with the mischievous Mickey Hart once again behind the kit. They'd skived off the unwieldy Wall of Sound and scaled back the venues from cavernous arenas to intimate theatres. Quite the treat!

During the first set, the Dead's playing was nuanced ("Cold Rain And Snow"), detailed ("Looks Like Rain"), and intricate ("The Music Never Stopped"); the singing struck softly ("Row Jimmy") and raised hairs ("Ship Of Fools"). But it’s the big barreling energy of the second set you’ll want to brace yourself for, replete with a disco'd "Dancing In The Streets," a low-down funky “Help”>”Slip”>”Franklin's” and a wind 'em up to wind down "Let It Grow">"Wharf Rat">"Around and Around." Can you keep up? There's only one way to find out.

This complete show, balanced out with a couple of bonus tracks from 6/23/76 and 6/28/76, was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 28 is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

Grab a copy before they're gone, gone, gone.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by Sixtus_

First double post in a while.. '77 Swing, FE 1/2/1970. Wowwy.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by MDJim

Pass the whiskey round

Dancin'

Dancin'

In the streets ~

Roll Away

The Dew ~

Won't you tell everybody you meet

The Candymans in town ~

You Better

Roll Away

The Dew

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Hi all! Just seeing that there is talk of 1/2/70 being Dave's 30. Did I miss the announcement somehow? Will it be both shows? Guess I'll poke around the site a bit.

If that's true, I'm a happy guy... good to have another Dark Star in the collection. Still waiting on that Shakedown tho...

Changed my avatar for the new site, though I do miss the rainbow boot. Perhaps I'll switch back someday.

Peace

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by Thats_Otis

6/30/85 Merriweather Post would be a nice one... Great Shakedown, fun show, 3rd of 5 late era Crypticals. The recording is pretty good by 85 standards. Vocals are a little rough in spots, but.. one of the better shakedowns.

Cycled through a two shows today with Comes a Time today (Riverbend 85 and Cal Expo 86, both from 30 trips). Love Comes a Time and She Belongs to Me. Two songs with a lot of heart.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

Yes indeed....1/2/70 and 1/3/70 coming at us in May 2019....finally I can exhale

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

Yep just testing

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

I'd like to wish all of my fellow Deadheads a very Merry Chriskwanakkah and Happy Holidays - May your New Year be filled with wonder!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

This year's Christmas chart-topping single in the UK is "We built this city on sausage rolls", a remake of the ghastly Starship song. You couldn't make it up! Hahaha.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

"We Built This Shitty" has to be one of the cheesiest pieces of schlock the 80's gave us. Still, I suppose it was catchy in a dumb-ass Cyndi Lauper kind of way, and God knows it paid for plenty of divorces and vices given that bunch (Kantner, Slick, etc).

Every time I hear it I want to take steel wool to my brain and scrape off just enough cells to erase the memory.

Still, Jefferson Starplane did give us a few classics, from White Rabbit to Miracles, Find Your Way Back, Count On Me, and of course, the immortal Jane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXmrMMYpQL4

\m/

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by LedDed

Some people in England based their opinion of Jefferson Starship on singles like that. I can remember one bloke saying that I was the only person he knew who was brave enough to admit to liking Jefferson Starship. So not only did they damage their reputation, they damaged mine too. Such as it was.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

A lot of it came from England.

But yeah, We Built This City is really bad. And Bob’s video? The only explanation can be that all the drugs fried his brain.

Happy Festivus!!!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Good music was hard to find anywhere in the 80's.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by simonrob

So in the decade where cocaine was (arguably) the cheapest, most plentiful and purest good music was hard to come by..

I wonder if there is a correlation? :D

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

It was also the decade when greed became acceptable, was even celebrated. Music became commercial, a commodity. Even album cover art was generally bland. I'm sure the availability of Columbian marching powder only exacerbated the situation. A decade better forgotten, I reckon.

Wishing everyone a very happy festive season and hoping 2019 is good to all.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by simonrob

Good point. The Greed thing doesn't seem to be working out too well either. Imagine that.

Yes.. happy holidays folks. Many hopefully have a few days away from work, many spending some extra time with family and friends. A good time to listen, reflect, plan and care. Oh yes, and celebrate.

Hopefully some of us are heading to Kauai on New Years for a little fun, warmth and GD.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

...and peace for all. It's going to be an amazing 2019!

Love

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Keithfan, there's a Family Guy that talks about how awful that video is, and they play the entire video. And afterward Peter says, yes people, we let that happen. Good laugh.

I'm listening to 30 Trips 1967 from the Shrine, and I just have to say that Pigpen's Hammond ability should never be questioned. You cant play that instrument any better. And he does solo quite a bit on some tunes (Viola Blues for example).

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Butch

And now that we know Dave's 29 and 30, I guess we need to start thinking about the box set possibilities for 2019. I know the 2018 73-74 Pacific Northwest box set was a big surprise, although I believe LoveMyGirl may have called it.
I sure hope we don't have to wait until June for next year's announcement. I would love a May release like we had in 2016 and 2017.

I think 73-74, 77, 78 and 1990 are out. Would love to see the fall 80 run released, but of course the long held belief is those tapes were recorded over. Will Dave ever confirm that one for us? Who knows.

Maybe LoveMyGirl will give us some hints again?

user picture

Member for

7 years 9 months

Just catching up to the party here . . .
I see I'm not the only one who's really geeked for 30.
I love the recent trend of the Bonus Disc Pick giving us nearly two full shows in one release.
Got Dave's 26 queued up in the ole MP3 player for work today. (Lossless of course).

Peace

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by DeadVikes

I think we can expect the source tapes from this years box sets are either multi-track or well recorded (Betty-like) masters. That seems to have been the precedent. Or something older that is recorded very well (like the Ark?).

Since we got a 73/74.. and there is likely to still be a few copies out there by the time they announce the next box, I would be surprised if they pulled it from this period. There are still a few copies left of the July 78 Box and there are still quite a few 77 GSTL Music Only Editions available, so 77 and 78 are unlikely. Oh, and there seems to be plenty RFK 89's left as well.

I don't know what we will get. There are still 5 unreleased shows from the Capitol Theatre 71 run, there might be a couple from 1980, but I am doubtful on this one.. we could get the Ark, 12/5/71 is multi-track I believe. Also, isn't 11/11/67 still available and recorded on 8 Track, plus potentially several from the PNW 68 tour? I am not sure Anchorage will be released as a box set, but people are always calling for this one. ..Not sure what else exists from multi-track that has not been released yet, but I asked Lemieux about this a few years back and he indicated there were 'many..' left to pull from.

So the drum roll begins. I am sure I left out a lot of potential picks..

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Yeah, you said, maybe LoveMyGirl will give us some hints again? Has he ever given us something that wasn't a write-up from another website? Seems like he hears about the vinyl release on the RSD site, copies the article and posts it here. There was another box that that was supposed to come out over a year ago that we haven't seen yet.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Hey DeadTony, I was wondering the same thing as I am still waiting for my replacement discs to arrive as well. It would be nice if the quality control level was a bit higher for the 2019 releases, seems like there were quite a few defective discs in both the PNW box and DaP28. They did replace my defective disc from the PNW box, so I am still expecting things to work out with the DaP28 replacements, but it would have been nice if it was right the first time.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Funny to see the comments about the 2019 Box set, I was just starting to wonder about that myself.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Here’s what’s still available.
https://store.dead.net/music/boxed-sets.html

RFK is not shown.
RFK, July 78, and May 77 AME were recently on sale for pretty good prices.
Wonder if RFK sold out.

2019????
Probably something from 68-69.
We’re due.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Interesting.. the RFK link is gone from here, but it is still for sale basically at list price on Amazon from Warner Music. Makes me think they still have inventory but it somehow didn't make it to the newest version of this website or something. Looks to be a snafu or an oversight.

I agree with the 69ish focus, we are due. Wasn't there mention of a returned Mountain Girl box five or six years ago.. material above and beyond the stand alone Family Dog 69?

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

In reply to by MDJim

Jim it was one of the items that popped up on the December promotion!! As far as a prediction for 2019 box, i think they need something big.... Maybe the 6/9 6/10/73 shows will finally clear legal hurdles.... Happy New Year all... bob t

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by bob t

That's right.. I do remember seeing that now. At a pretty good discount too.

I must be getting old, when the memory slips and holiday dinners revolve around pervasive talks of Power of Attorneys and questions like, "do you still use this.., can I have it?.." you know the end is near and the nursing home close. I wonder if all my boxes will fit in the nursing home cubicle? Will anyone steal them when I nod out? Do they make edibles you an get to with a bendy straw? Nurse Ratched!! My Meds Please!

I'd really be stoked for either
- Ark 69
- Fox Theatre 72
- BCT 72
- Something old, preferably not well known.

I'm not sure what makes me say this, but I don't think all the Berkeley 72 shows are in the vault even though we know good masters exist. I forget what makes me think this...

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Does anyone know how to go about getting a replacement disk for dap 28 disk one? Thanks

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

... just saying what we're all aware of... 76 was the best year for ol' Charlie...

Any 69ers out there care to weigh in?

Donna sounds so sweet on them, perfect refig of that tune.

Peace

EDIT: Box Set - MSG 79, Hogs' n' All

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by bob t

I lack the dedication to focus my listening on anniversary shows-though it seems like a good idea. But I do tend to look back at past shows from the month-well, season-that we are currently in, and give those a listen. And this has led me to Dicks Pick 14. No less than two complete shows from Boston-11/30 and 2/12 1973. Both shows are quite slow paced-the second set of 2/12 STARTS with Wharf Rat- but the playing has a wonderful relaxed flow to it. The highlight for me is when the jam starts on Playing in The Band on 2/12-there is a complete and sudden drop into space almost as soon as the song part has ended-no gradual build up, it feels like they just drop off the edge straight away. A very spacy peaceful jam follows-nothing like the internal combustion of the 1972 Playing jams. The shows are also pleasingly palindromic, too, if there is such a word, starting and ending with Morning Dew. All this makes me think that, as far as 1973 is concerned, maybe less is sometimes more. These are short shows, by the standards of the day, but everything feels beautifully put together and aesthetically "right".

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

Yes, I agree, Dick's 20 is a gem, fantastic two shows, great mix. I would also add Dick's 33 to the list, another two great shows that sound unbelievably good. And one of my all time favorites is Live at The Cow Palace to close out 76, multi track recorded by Betty! One of the best Around and Around.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

....my wife's favorite Dead year. After twenty-three years with me, she knows when a '76 show is spinning. Bless her heart. Peak Donna. Peak Cosmic Charlie. Peak Let It Grows. My phone's battery power is at 76% as I typed this. I don't believe in coincidences....

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I love the High Time's from this year!! Also Looks Like Rain,(and Mission in the Rain, but that's cheating)!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by bob t

....walking along in the mission in the rain, come again. It's only cheating if you're caught.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I also hear if you're not cheating you're not trying!! I know Jerry kept playing Mission in the Rain, but I wish 6/29/76 wasn't the Dead's last version!! Also my favorite version.......

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by bob t

Powerful and emotive. One of my favorites and yes.. 6/29 is gravy.

I saw an interview once where Garcia was asked why the Dead quit playing it after just a few times. He said something to the effect that Reflections was recorded in parts, some with the Garcia Band and some with the Dead and it just seemed they were better performed that way too. This doesn't explain They Love Each Other and the few Missions that did slip out though.

Anyway.. what a great song.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

Daverock, I got a kick out of your phrase "pleasingly pallindromic". That was alluringly alliterative.

Ark, Ark, Ark, as Robin Williams used to chuckle in his role as Mork.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by frosted

Shakedown Street

Spinning the last few days

Dave's Picks 6 * Fillmore Auditorium

I suspect that you will receive a complete DaP28 around the same time that the replacement CDs are sent out.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-volume-28-1.html