• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

I'm IN, thanks! Are you referring to Archive.org, or is there some special place I should be going?

Hendrix, thanks for the PM.

Dang. I glanced too quickly at the Miami shirt and thought it was lightly-colored and one-sided. Now that I REALLY look at it, I want it, but need a Medium (Sold Out). Interesting that Mediums and 2x XL sell out first . . . everyone has gone completely one way or the other? :) And NOW I see the sweet astrological hoodie, which of course is GONE in Medium. Oh well. I do have a Medium brown Garcia hand shirt on the way, along with GarciaLive 13.

I hope that instead of the "remnants" from the partially-released shows that we receive other goodies from the Vault. I don't need to hear all the Me & My Uncles that Dick left behind. But I would love some '60s, '80s, and '90s sprinkled in hither and yon. The Grateful Dead is like a lifelong relationship/marriage: the beginning is always the hottest, but is sometimes messy and foundering, and the later years can be awfully sweet if one does not go into them expecting the fire of the early days. One cannot expect things to feel the same every day, and wouldn't it be boring if it did?

As long as the release is from the Jerry era, it's fine by me.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Meh. Missed opportunities.. pint glasses, decent t-shirts (and by decent I mean upgrade the quality two notches above the thin, flimsy, almost see through ill-fitting t's), coffee mugs, Tervis tumblers.. all these things would sell more.

Perhaps my favorite two items from dead.net besides pint beer glasses are my long out of print Morning Brew, double-walled, sealed, stainless steel coffee mug and this killer skull and roses Tervis tumbler glass. The stainless insulated mug for hot coffee, the Tervis tumbler for iced coffee. (Yes, I drink a lot of coffee. ... got to run, looks like I missed my 11 am mandatory twitching session)

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Would be nice the sbds from this run sound good.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Thanks for the "Quacking" duck story! Being laid off and stuck at home, this really put a smile on my face. Sure do love that show too.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

here in Southern Germany.
Ordered the June 1976 box late in March (after release date). Received shipping notice a while ago.
Also waiting for DaP 34, subscription.
And for GarciaLive 13. Ordered it via local record shop.
And for "Good Old Boys" 2-disc set. Ordered it via German mailorder (said "in stock" but missing in first parcel).
The race is on. Lots of good things to come in a dreadful time.
Might start watching the 93 show tonight but stream won't start before half past midnight here. Stay safe!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Perhaps #34 not selling out in the longest amount of time yet is telling us something.....it's just getting a little long in the tooth with mid-1970s releases. As great as Betty may have recorded the pre-1979 shows, most setlist & sound for each year is the same(imho). Just time to switch gears with the DP series to the 1980s, plenty of good sounding shows in that period, and so what if recordings aren't quite the recording level of betty boards. 7/13/84 PLEAS

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Looks like it is sold out now, still before the release date. Seems like they might have hit the sweet spot where folks purchasing individual releases have a couple of days to get an order in before it sells out, but they don't have to store unsold product after the release date. The first year of Dave's Picks they released 12,000 and they have incrementally increased production just about every year since, up to the current 22,00. You have to figure at some point they are gonna get to the saturation point.

I guess its open to debate why this is the case. From where I am sitting, the most likely reason is that people aren't ordering things through the post as much at the moment due to this crisis. I have drastically cut down on what I order - I am only inviting things to get pushed through my letter box that I really need-soap-stuff like that. It seems my friends over here in England are doing the same. Not wanting to give postal workers undue exposure to germs-or myself.

I did break this rule last week, I must confess, ordering a Quicksilver cd - but I am a lot more reticent about ordering stuff now than I was a month ago.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Boy, that sure sold out fast compared to the last one.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Dap 34 or shipping notices have not shipped out to anyone yet. I'm sure you know that, also received 3 months ago a reply from dead.net that you cant go to the warehouse itself and get them. You get used to these claims after awhile. Peace dude. P.S.- 1/2/70 Dap 30 sounds even better after a break of 2 months. Keithfan- I'm glad you told that story but you should have waited till tonight to make it a bedtime story. Next you can read the story of goldilocks and the 3 bears. Right on keith.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

In reply to by carlo13

Yeah, I too am always confused by those particular posts...

1/2/70 you say? Hmm... might be a good suggestion for the pick of the day. It has been a while :)

Peace

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

...is getting it's due in a few short hours:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/grateful-dead-shakedown-s…

I'm not familiar with this one, but I did an exceptionally quick peek at the setlist (so as to still have surprises along the way....the best way) and it looks pretty f'n good.

Collective Conscious Viewing Opportunity.

Be well, All.
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

I sez YES

That and my first show are the jackpot shows for me. I am glad beyond words how much I am glad I was able to attend.

I am not burned on the 70s _at all_. Something from the early to mid 80s would be welcome. but no complaints from me.

if you need a palette cleanse at the moment, Melvins "Stoner Witch" at volume 11 is my suggestion.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

It's definitely the 22k release number combined with the volume of high quality shows released. This is what.. the 200+ show to be released? I love 80's GD, so don't take this as a swipe.. but if they released four 80's shows in a row, then rolled into the next years subscription, things would NOT sell out faster, the subscription might still be available.. There's lots of secondary data to support this, just look at the resale value on eBay and stratify this by the era / year of the show and don't forget to factor in the number produced (12k, 14k, 16,500, etc). I think the previous poster knows this and is just getting in a jab. I commend Dave on what he has done, a tip of the hat to a job well done (p.s. I want his job).

..I like the Greek '84 love, there is a few people that post here regularly that were there. Envious. I literally just finished listening to the second set post space of 9/18/87 doing a little pre-shower after a messy house project soak in the tub. I am anything but an 80's hater, but I second the emotion that I am not weary of good 70's shows getting released. Finally, bring on the 60's and I firmly believe we will see a 91 show get released as a Dave's Picks one day.

Honestly, as many have commented.. the time from sale to sell out was just about right this time. 22k seems to be the magic number for now...…

I get that we complain that these things sell out so quick. I don't get a passive complaint when things don't sell out immediately. Take the win.

Your faith in your fellow man is a good thing. Always maintain that. On this side of the pond, people are ordering shit they don't need just to escape boredom, then making videos for social media of them opening it and trying to figure out what it is. A co-worker showed me one of these videos, and the young lady had bought herself a gentleman's enhancement pump, and had no clue what it was, but she got close after using it on her lips.

But about the longer sell out time, I agree with Jim, it's that boost to 22K that is most to blame. I'd wager most of the resellers buy the subscription, and some may buy a couple more a la carte. And I'd also wager that a good portion of the resellers may not know the Dead's music, but they know enough about Deadheads and collectors, and I'll bet they are aware of the vagaries of different eras and the market for those. But they also know supply and demand. Those 12K of the the first four are long gone, as are many of the next couple years, then you can find a glut of sealed copies of the last few years's Picks.

I will say I hadn't thought of the fact that it's nearly 200 shows released now. That seems incredible until you think of how many shows you had before they were being released, whether on tape, cd, DAT, etc. The Dead are a completist's nightmare!

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Garcia Band Poplar Creek 9/16/89 just arrived. Jamming it now. I kind of like saxophone with the band, as I do with the Dead as it's pretty rare. Works great in the ultra-jammy format of JGB and the sound is good here, even if the keys are a bit loud.

It was great to be driving around today and hearing the classic rock stations playing the new Rolling Stones song, "Living In A Ghost Town." Love the song, great groove and Mick is fantastic on both vox and harp. Classic rock stations hardly ever spin new music so it felt like a throwback to better days to hear new Stones on the radio.

Just got back from the local landscape supply where they filled up the entire back of my pickup truck with mulch. Tomorrow's big project, will look beautiful when done many hours later. Peace to all.

\m/

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

... call the dead’s cus support number , they will confirm that shipping has started on 24th... your name calling a posts about me are slander, I’m asking nicely & respectfully to be please stop. If you don’t like my posts present, past , future or any other time, just ignore them. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but by putting someone down there’s no excuse this isn’t the place actually there is no place for it . Peace be with you Carlo, have your self a safe & Grateful weekend Carlo. 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Very Nice, a little Grateful Dead I have not even heard yet. Hope it is slinky (Shakedown Stream). Reminds me of last years MUATM, where the Giants show was played. Had not heard that show either and as I had not looked it up, the Eyes opener thru me for a little coo-coo.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

What i meant about the '91Charlie Miller soundboards usual spots were the Bit Torrent trackers like Etree and Lossless Legs...they have about 8 new '91 shows

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

No need to call in the lawyers..

🙏, no lawyers.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

What a great start to a fantastic run of shows. These 5 shows would make a terrific box set!

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

I watched Post Malone's live charity show on YouTube earlier tonight. A tribute to Nirvana.
Holy fuckin' mackerel was it good. New respect for Malone. Over and over I kept saying to myself...get tha fuck outta here. Travis Barker on the skins.
All the dough goes to the World Health Organization.
Fuck you Trump….
Rock & Roll is alive and well.
get some

Great clip. Strangely, I was fooling around on my guitar before logging in, and was playing about with a very similar riff to the one Jerry plays at the introduction to this song. Same key and everything. Bit of Bo Diddley in there methinks.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

I was the one with the record store who commented last year maybe more, and you are correct that I said the older Dead sells much faster than 80s forward. It was never mor obvious tham the 30 Trips box. I still sold out of everything in the 60s and 70s in under 6 months, and I bought 7 sets, all sold individually. I had 80s and 90s up until about 6 months ago, even 1987 atvthe Garden. Just sitting on the shelf for $25 bucks while newer Dave's Picks sold out from underneath them.

LMG you have a lot if nerve talking about slander after shitting on drug addicts in need of methadone. You spoke down on them as if you know the first thing about living on the streets and getting hooked. So take those fake 'bless yous my brothers and sisters' and fake prayer signs to the next unwitting crowd, because everyine here is on to your conman act. And you know what? Nothing anyone said is slander, because you're not using your real name here, you're using an alias in no way connected to your real person. Even if you used your real name here, slander must also include an element where a person has false statements made about them. I don't think anyone here has said anything false. They just called you out on your own false statements. If anyone is in violation of something, it is you for pretending to be an "insider" who receives CDs and information before it's publicly available to the rest of the subscription community. For crying out loud lol you boast about getting the goods before everyone else all the time and then can't answer a simple question about the release. Like when Dave's 32 came out and everyone wanted to know the lenth of the Jam and Dark Star tracks to see where Rhino had decided one track ended and the next one started on that continuous piece of music. You gave some vague response like yes there is a Dark Star and a Jam (someone else recalled this story yesterday too I think). And when you got asked the question a second time in clear as day English, you disappeared until the CD had been received by everyone already.

My suggestion would be to stop making up stories or put your money where your mouth is. Take a clear picture of the CDs and post as your avatar. Otherwise nobody wants to hear about how you get releases early. The new Dave's Picks sounds real good does it? I'm pretty sure you read that in the description at the top of the page. Peolple were fine with your harmless nonsense until you started ripping people off selling Dead merchandise on the dead.net message boards and excluding items, as well as selling free stuff people gave you out of sympathy. I'm sure selling here is a violation of site bylaws and user agreement you signed up for.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I was thinking about the possibility of Dave and Co. releasing shows that have been partially used or cut for older releases, and that got me going down the rabbit hole - 1974, a year with relatively few, but very GOOD shows, seems to have suffered the worst from the cut-and-paste game. All of the Dick's Picks from 74 are cut-jobs (vols. 7, 12, 24, and 31), as is the Wall Of Sound Road Trips, and of course, the ultimate cut-job, The Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack. If I am counting correctly, (which I am probably not) that is at least 15 shows that have been partially released.

I am sure that the sound issues from the WoS, especially early in the 1st sets, was a factor in deciding what to cut, etc. And I have not heard the complete shows of all the Dick's Picks or the Road Trips release, so maybe there are bigger sound/quality issues there... However, that October Winterland run is just crying out to be released in full, and at this point, Dave knows that we his audience don't really care TOO much about a "Promised Land" without vocals...

I am really looking forward to having another complete 74 release in the collection! This has been a long-time favorite, and I cannot wait to hear it all dressed to the nines!

Happy Saturday, all!

"This ain't Kentucky!"

Peace

EDIT: Oh, I forgot the bonus discs for Dave's 2 - Cap Center 7/29/74 (still my favorite bonus disc of the series.) Thanks, Bob T! AND, the bonus disc that will be coming with this set (6/22 - another wonderful show!) Add those to the list of partially released 74s.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I was thinking about the same thing the other day. There's also a Dave's bonus disk that has Landover on it from 74!!! only 40 shows for that year and it's cut the worst!! I agree about Winterland also!! Bob t

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

I think you might be the same person I’ve been buying stuff from eBay here in the uk from . I’ve bought a couple of the July 78 box and the 30 trips box that take my fancy . I do them in monthly treats to spread the cost . It a bit like a great full dead version of reader’s digest 😺

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

This den of iniquity is packed with rabid Deadheads.

Daverock, you're killing me, man. You've stopped all online purchases, EXCEPT you suddenly had to have Quicksilver delivered to your door. I get it. Would your choice possibly be: Quicksilver Live at the Fillmore, June 7, 1968?

Alvarhanso: I had to take a shower after your little online purchasing anecdote. Thanks for the visual!

Foaming at the mouth for # 34...

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Thank you. Your LMG analysis was brilliant.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by dissident1980

Shakedown Stream

Very cool thing

I could join for only a short while, but more please, GDPTB.

user picture

Member for

4 years

I’ve lingered for a few years on these forums without ever creating a username or posting until recently. I had to comment on your LMG post. Spot on and well done.

Stone me, Hendrixfreak, how did you know that?! The Quicksilver cd I bought was indeed the one you guessed it was- Live at the Fillmore 7th June 1968. I've got two other versions, but I read online that this one was more complete and had a better sound quality. Which, incidentally, it has and does. Brilliant release.

My post might have seemed a bit contradictory, but this was the first cd I have ordered for about 5 weeks - which is an eternity to me. I handled it as though it was a potential explosive when it arrived. Put it in the cd player and the whole room lit up.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

I've got a few Quicksilver discs, but could only locate that one this morning.

I got lucky, but check these two clues: "Fillmore" + "1968." I mean, how easy was that?

As for online ordering, I make no criticism. I too have refrained (pretty much) as I don't want Amazon workers, postal workers, you-name-it workers risking anything more than they have to. I did buy a new modem and tablet to join the live-streamed and recorded open mic nights here in my town to preserve two warm and wonderful communities that I belong to. (One is a brewery called Dead Hippie Brewing -- they're total Deadheads and the first time I played there I whipped out 'Easy Wind,' 'Operator' and 'I've Been All Around This World' and the owner's wife gave me a lovely tight embrace, so the 'encouragement' worked.)

I did just buy some John Prine, Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt as I want to learn to write more sophisticated songs. Taking another break from purchasing because I have serious pile of new CDs: GD, Jer, ABB, The Band, Delaney & Bonnie, New Riders, Dylan, John Lee Hooker, etc. And just a little more time to listen.

Cheers everybody. Say a prayer for those we've lost around the world and for the folks on the front lines. Their risks allow me to stay home. Though I did donate blood on Wednesday (I'm AB negative, one of the two rarest types, so this is a clear obligation to society).

Get this: I called ahead, asked about their precautions, was assured everyone was in masks, checked at the door for a temperature, etc. So I go in, do the pre-screening, look up and see half the staff chatting away in tight groups without masks. They tested my hemoglobin then my blood pressure, and the latter had shot up beyond acceptable limits in a very short time. I thought of bolting but talked myself down to go through with a donation that could really help someone in need. A few minutes later, my blood pressure had come down to acceptable to donate levels. And the phlebotomist assigned to me was a total pro with mask in place. But I informed the company I would no longer donate unless they stick with the declared safety standards. Blew my mind! But I went through with it. Now I'm tracking my next 14 days and staying quarantined, thanks to those idiots, just to be sure/safe.

Argh, thanks for letting me rant a little! Cheers for Saturday.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

OTIS/74: Berry interesting...Why indeed? Imagine if they used William Burroughs cut up methed to sequence, lol

HENDRIXFREAK: first, good for you! Luckily for the recipient of your generous gift, the weird turned pro!
But that is some fucked up shit (pardon my French) but I’ve seen and heard so many anecdotal versions of that tune and it’s infuriating! No offense but it’s mostly young folks, in groups, no masks etc, BS!
Yet the no balls Governor, who I usually like, is caving and going to open up...the most messed up is he’s using Eagle County as a petrie dish. When we first heard the criteria to open: 14 days decreased cases; full testing available; adequate available hospital facilities; and antibody testing and tracking, we thought, ok, that’s not too bad, especially cause that’s not going to happen right away. NOT! Days later Governor says we’re opening, BS! The ole lady has been obsessed with all this and doing non-stop tracking and they have constantly fudged and/or changed the data. The rate of new cases may have slowed, but it has not decreased! Sorry, just freaking out that once again history is going to repeat itself and just like Spanish influenza we’re going to get hit with a deadly second and third wave. Why?, because we can’t live without bike shops and hair dressers?

Anyway, bring on the 74! Can’t Wait!
Be safe folks!

I was going to PM you about this one, after your comments last week. Its a double cd on the Purple Pyramid label, called simply Live at the Fillmore June 7th 1968. It has the same track listing as Lost Gold and Silver, except for the fact that it opens with Pride of Man and If You Live. Calvary is listed, but its actually Maiden of the Cancer Moon. It sounds, to my ears, much better than Lost Gold and Silver or thye Maiden of the Cancer Moon album. Its not up to Dave's Picks standards, but its pretty good. I paid £19.00, about, for it - not cheap- and even though I have had the material for over 25 years and have listened to it countless times-this release is well worth it to me and outclasses the earlier ones.
There is a drop in sound at one point during Pride of Man, I should say, but that doesn't put me off.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Often overlooked was Shady Grove. I think it had the most astoundingly varied and mature assortment of Cipollina's soloing and the guitars were micd and mixed really imaginatively. Great songwriting. I felt they erred in assigning sides -- should have opened with the title track and ended with Hopkins's piano excursion. The remaster brought out so much that had been missed in earlier variants (I was surprised and thrilled), but the truck outside the window sound starting Shady Grove was turned into staticky mush. Go figure. Healy at the board, for those who are interested. I imagine a fair bit of hash and DMT as well.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I only have one version of Quicksilver Live At The Fillmore 7th June 1968 and it is the Purple Pyramid version. I got it years ago when it first came out. Unfortunately not all Purple Pyramid Quicksilver releases are up to the standard of this one.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Have not seen you around here much. How's it going? I owe you a good cigar for having our backs. If you smoke I'll send you a couple from my humidor. I agree with you on 70s sell faster then the 80s. I think rhino whet peoples appetites with the '87, '89, '91 giants box to prevent Daps from delving into the 80s. I'm hoping they wind back to '68 since that's my birthdate and I like those rare tracks they dont play much after 1970 like easy wind, TOYLL, cosmic Charlie and alligator. Peace.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

...and she called herself Lil,...but everyone knew her as Nancy.

Last five
--The White Album
--Faces / Ooh La La
--Wings / Venus and Mars
--The Band / Rock of Ages
--Bob Dylan / Before the Flood

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html