• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

....the infamous Wharf Rat show (for all the wrong reasons). I have listened to this one and it was instantly forgettable for sure. Jerrys levels were turned so far down, I believe even he knew something was amiss.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

And I should have added that even when the band didn't bring it on, we still had a good time with our friends and even on an off night, the boys always came through on a few tunes. Imagine playing 3 hrs+ of intense music and making no mistakes, particularly under commercial pressure on a tour with shows attended by 10s of 1000s. Man, I'd plop one in my diapers just coming out on stage...

I do clearly remember a Rocks show in mid-80s when I realized -- having watched Jer for 12 years in the GD and solo -- that he was out of synch somehow. At that time, I wondered if anyone else heard/saw/perceived what I did. I had no idea about his habit at that time, but looking back now realize I knew his music and approach on guitar and vocals well enough to know something was amiss.

But, yeah, to Jim's point, so I caught a sloppy first set. At least I wasn't up on a ladder painting houses that day. Or driving a forklift or a truck, all of which were among the crappy jobs I had before I turned pro at age 28.

I had an amazing run, 1972 to 1992 (no shows between 1987 and 1991). Of the final two, in June '92 in Albany (I was cultivating in the mtns of Vermont that summer), one was so-so, the second one pretty strong.

In fact, just to have been alive at a time when this band was still killing it is one of my greatest pleasures and inspirations.

user picture

Member for

12 years 2 months

"¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba!"???? That was what the Speedy Gonzalez cartoon character said, based (not very well) on Mexican peasant Spanish. It's a pretty harsh stereotype, and not even accurate given that Miami's Latin community is primarily Cuban, with very few Mexicans. Kind of embarrassed for you.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Glad I saw every show I was fortunate to see...there were definetly some that weren’t as good as others, definetly plenty of average shows, but I don’t think I ever usually felt the whole show was bad.
Just like after say 91, increasingly, it became less and less likely to see a whole show that was good. By 92 there’d always be moments, but these would decrease with time.
I haven’t listened to most of these yet, and I’ve found that after a listen, usually it will improve a show memory rather than taint it. But I think most of my negative memories were at least somewhat situational, influenced by expecting what we’d been use to for so many years. So the changes, and the scene, and getting a little older, and going back to college at like 30, all influenced our perspective to perhaps be more critical? When I listen now after all these years, I wonder what I was so down about? Much of 87 is like that for me: thought meh for most of it then, but can dig much of it now...
Thus, eventually the brief moments of goodness were starting to not be worth the resources and sacrifices, so we’d only go if nearby or convenient etc. But again, I wouldn’t trade being at anyone of them, and miss it all more than anything!

80s: of course there was some shwill now and again, 86 seems to feel like there could be some ruff patches? But don’t recall ever feeling a whole show sucked. Used to think 3/13/81 was lame, but the recording has proved it was just me! Now I love that show.
91: saw 6, recall all were at least decent, most good, nothing mind blowing
92: saw 6, recall most were decent. Some had good moments or sections
93: only went to 6/13/93. Really need to listen to this one because my recollection was being pretty disappointed. Don’t mean like multiple train wrecks or anything, just phone it in, boring? We’ll have to listen...
94: 7/13/94 was probably the worst? That or the last 2 in 95...again, more “what the fuck is going on with these guys” and Jerry was obviously having issues. Recall it was a bit of a shit show too, definetly hot/muggy. Was stoked for Vermont, but didn’t live up to expectations. Will have to listen some time...
7/31/94 & 8/1/94 recall being decent, had fun, and 8/1 was surprisingly mostly good. Felt like maybe there was still hope...
95: 6/30 wasn’t too bad either. Fun second set, but I think the weather had a lot to do with that. I think it inspired the band as well as us. 7/8&9/95: what can I say, it was ruff. Remember thinking “glad we didn’t pay for this crap” (there as associates of The Band) and “something is really, really wrong with Jerry”. Like it was getting seriously alarming just to look at him, and well, I have listened to these and unfortunately they do seem to reinforce the feeling of dread, some impending doom that was in the air, especially after all the reports about the whole troubled tour. But I’m really glad we went because it was totally serendipitous that we were even there, and it was nice to be there at the end.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Because it was the last one!! I still have two unused tickets to this show... My friend bought tickets but they arrived the next day, went to will call and they wrote us a pass to get in...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

DaveRock - I was also at all the Wembley shows including 11/1 which you went to. I remember it being a decent show but they were obviously tired after a long schlep through Europe and Jerry had a bad cold. Still glad I went. After the show I just wanted to get back to my home in Nottingham after having driven down each night for the concerts and also a little zonked from travelling to Paris to catch the shows there (both excellent by the way). My friend said something like ‘hang around for a bit Frank, we won’t see them again’ and he was right. They never made it back to England.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by frankparry

Frank - yes, I have heard that show 11/1/90, since and its much better than I remember it. I was at all three of the Wembley shows, too. It must have been great going to Paris to see them - it never occurred to me to do that.

One of the things that sticks in my mind was how many American there were at those Wembley shows. They must have travelled all over Europe with them, and they dominated the atmosphere of the shows, from what I remember. All very intriguing-the atmosphere outside Wembley as well. I saw them twice in 1981 in London, and the American presence was nowhere near as noticeable then.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

I started going in '86, so I don't have peak 70s or 60s shows to judge against.

I do not remember too many 'meh' shows until '92. And upon listening to the tapes, I realized it was usually me. Some better than others.

Nothing jaw droppingly good after that. Though there were jaw dropping moments, even in '95 (Unbroken Chain).

I guess my poorest would be my first and last. 7/2/86 Akron Rubber Bowl with Dylan & Petty (Petty carried the day). Jerry was in a coma soon thereafter. And the last Deer Creek show in summer '95, Bob singing Desolation Row as Heads broke through the gate & tore down the fence. Next show cancelled. Never saw Jerry again.

Bronze medal to Charlotte '95, even with Hornsby there, you could really tell he was struggling. High Time seemed all too appropos.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Wharf Rat

wooowww.

The audience sure seems to like it.

Poor Jerry. The other band members must have been horrified.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

....there's an aud tape out there somewhere where you can hear people around the taper muttering comments and they seemed kinda scared when Jerry got totally lost. There are arguments out there that he was just restructuring the song ala Dylan. No. No he wasn't. The man was lost. Sad.
I would look for it, but i want to stay in a good mood

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

This show was a blast, from start to finish. This year and 1982 were the two best years at the Frost, a great box set could be made out of those 4 shows! The Frost was a very cool place to see the Dead!

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Listening to it again now. I know I listened to it another time when it came up for discussion, but didn't remember what was so wrong with it. Four minutes in, it's coming back to me. This is sad. Why he sticks to a Throwing Stones kind of riff and that fast singing is just baffling. That he gets the words tells me he was at least able to read the words on the prompter, but it's like he's reading a chord chart and never heard the song, let alone played it 300 times. But as bad as it is, it's better than the zero shows I got to see.

It's terrible that it got to where it did for Jerry that summer that he had weeks left to live. But, he also made it long past many of his peers, and stayed in the same band and helped shape both the direction and history of, not just rock, but music, and across the globe. It's great reading something that isn't about the Dead, but happens to mention them in some way, usually with a touch of snideness. Like they can point out the innovations brought about by their pioneering live sound in the 1960s that they used to propel rock music to a louder, clearer representation of the most mind blowing and exploratory music in the rock idiom. And had these pioneering PAs long before they went down Owsley's rabbit hole toward The Wall. So an article on sound may credit them with the best sound based on high level engineering and the resultant companies such as JBL, Meyer Sound, and Alembic while also mentioning in a mocking way Owsley's other claim to fame and deride the Dead as a bunch of drugged out people noodling endlessly and unable to play a song, missing the fact that the term noodling was coined to belittle Mozart's piano playing and the Dead are responsible for some of the great songs in the rock canon. Today's resurgence of bands playing their songs, of John Mayer touring this music, JRAD a supergroup devoted to covering this music, Phil's A-List lineups for 20 years proves greater than the off nights like 6/18/95. (On the Lucy in the Sky encore now and can't help but wonder if that choice was a nod to Jerry's reason for spacing out on Wharf Rat?)

Long rant, but the point can be summed up thus: Jai Alai Fronton (hopefully) arrives in days, and that's literally the kind of show that got somebody like me who never got to see them become a guy who has two giant shelves on one bookcase, and a third on another holding my official releases. 6/18/95 will never be on a shelf, and that's okay.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

....your turn.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Very cool post.

I had never listened to that Wharf Rat before tonight. So, so sad.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....one listen was enough for me.
I was warned by reading the archive comments, but I had to hear for myself.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Just received mine. I cant really remember a show being bad enough to remember 30 years or so later. I was always partying to much to remember. All I know is that those concerts were the best days of my life.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by carlo13

First off I hope everyone is safe and healthy on these parts...strange times indeed...anyway at the beginning of the year i finally lost it with iTunes (yeah I know, who hasn't)...I asked for advice here and got pointed in the right direction on various portable Digital Music Players, ended up getting a mid level Sony player that plays Hi Res music files, FLAC, WAV, MP3, ACC etc....it's strictly a drag and drop...it only holds 16 GB's worth of music but it can handle 128 GB micro SD cards...I have 4 of those filled with various stuff...the only problem is my car stereo won't recognize the files through the USB connection but it does play through the AUX input, problem with that is you cant control the player as you drive...I broke down and bought some 24/96 bit downloads of some of my classic needs and have had a blast listening to them...my last five (through headphones)

Brothers & Sisters Super Deluxe Edition The Allman Brothers...4 disc set with discs 3 & 4 being a complete '73 Winterland show that is simply amazing

Live at Leeds Deluxe Edition The Who...incredible sound, Keith's drums just snap out at you...this download actually had the correct running order of the show unlike the CD release that had the first part and the end of the concert on Disc 1 so Tommy could run complete on Disc 2...

I had to go to my Dylan Trio ... Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde On Blonde...

Although I won't be buying a whole lot more of these Hi Res downloads for now I will keep an eye out for more faves...what i reallly like about this player is there is no need to convert files, I can just drop them straight in...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Jason Wilder

Daverock - I went to some of both the spring and fall 1981 Rainbow shows too. I was living just down the road in Highbury at the time so no travelling. Now you mention it, there did seem to be more Americans in 1990. I saw someone who looked like Dave Lemieux in the line outside one of the Wembley gigs. This might be me back-projecting because this is 30 years ago and he would have been very young and not like he looks now. I think he did go to the shows in London, though. Whoever it was was talking (in a North American accent) to someone in the line and was carrying a large back pack which for some reason or another I remember after all these years.

I thought the 1981 shows, as much as I enjoyed seeing them, were a little subdued. I hadn’t really been following the band at the time as can be shown by the fact that I was not aware that Keith and Donna had left! I loved the venue though as much as I disliked Wembley (the venue, not the music). Paris was a blast. I only went because I used to buy (and occasionally write an article for) an English fanzine called Spiral Light and a group of us hired a coach to go over.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Sounded better than I expected. Sounded more like confusion that sets in after a fresh bong hit of Blue Dream than H.

Anyway, saw them at the Knick on the 22nd of June, 11 from the end, last Help Slip Franklin. I wasn't a hardcore Deadhead in those days, but it sounded good and the crowd had a good time. Nobody in the crowd I was with seemed aware of Jerry's health issues other than being overweight and hoping nothing like the 86 diabetes incident recurred.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Frank..yes, I remember it well. I subscribed from about 1986-1996. I have just been up in the attic to have a look at the few remaining copies I have left, and there only seem to be two up there. But lo and behold, in issue 35, there you are-credited in the section marked "Help On The Way". I was quite sorry to see you hadn't actually written article in it-or in the other one I have. I wondered what happened to all those people who wrote for that fanzine. I had one article published-but I no longer have it.

Going back to the 1981 and 1990 London shows-the 1981 shows did seem a lot more sedate, as I remember them. The atmosphere was no different from any of the other concerts I saw. A band on stage, people sitting or standing in their appointed or assumed place-a few people dancing about-everybody facing the stage.
In 1990, when I arrived-again on 1/11/90, people around me seemed to be cheering or shouting, even though nothing was happening on stage. When the band came on the crowd were very noisy-throughout both sets. Even during quiet songs-I can remember people around me shouting and cheering during Stella Blue. The atmosphere was more like that at a football game than at any other concert I had seen. It might be a gross misunderstanding...but the people around me seemed more interested in making their presence felt than they were in listening to the music. Maybe just a different way of enjoying a show.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Sixtus - Agreed, I always felt lucky to be at a dead show. Like you had a chance to watch magic happen.

Daverock - the crowd. Lord knows this conversation has occurred here before, but, yeah, why the hell do you go to a concert and then talk the whole time. Especially during a quite passage. Jerry searching out the dark corners of Stella and some asshole gotta yell, "JERRY". Yeah I'm sure he needed that inspiration to carry on.

Finally just listened to that Wharf Rat folks have been whining over, come on, it's okay. :-)

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Morning, rockers!!!

Wasn't supposed to be at work today, but lol here I am....................

So, is today the anniversary of the greatest dead show ever played????

Rock on my friends!!

Doc
P.S. As I recall, 4/1/85 was also kind of a stinker, the Dead played their own April Fool's Day joke on us.........

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

....got my notice, looks like this is starting to drop - a burst of sunshine among dark days!

And incidentally Dave is playing portions of this on Sirius right now as I type (it's a repeat play from yesterday but even so -Cumberland is sounding fantastic).

In other news, I installed a 9-hole very legit disc golf course at my house over the past weekend, baskets & all. It allows you to walk the entire property while also honing your disc-chucking chops. All holes are Par 3, except for the third hole, which his an uphill Par 5. This is a perfect social distancing sport. Who's around?

Hope All are Well
Sixtus

...and saw AJS's clarification that his intention was not to talk about your worst show.. I hadn't read the whole thing and replied to the most recent post.

But I was thinking before I went back to bring up the most fun had a show as a nice pivot. Not to be confused with Best Show seen, the Most Fun. An easy one for me.. 6/20/83, Merriweather Post Pavilion. The great flood.

Noah where art though.

There must have been special pixie dust in the brew that night. If you've ever seen Fantasia, think the moment in the film midway through the Sorcerer's Apprentice where Mickey Mouse discovers he has magical powers but doesn't understand he cannot fully control them and things get away from him, and fast. Great water reference in the film too. That's what things were like that night.

Far from the best show I have seen but far and away the most fun. That storm! The energy, then the storm got down right scary, it must have rained four or more inches during the show, it was a deluge.. and the band kept playing on. Very Phil Centric and Loud... There must have bene something in my tea that night because most of memories were more related to the mayhem then the music and we had to literally swim home as we had walked to the show and all the highways and roads were quite flooded by the time show had ended. So imagine swimming home from a dead show with the fungus just beginning to wear off scratching your head and trying to piece back together what had just happened.

More fun than a frog in a glass of milk.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 4 months

Got the tracking number this morning. I did the subscription.
I’m psyched for this release. The SBD/AUD matrix on archive.org is really great. I love the sonic clarity of soundboards and the atmosphere of audience.

Interesting note. When Zeppelin were touring in ‘72 Jimmy page set up three audience mikes . A track dedicated to each audience Mike. I love that setup. Soundboard clarity plus audience atmosphere.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

regarding your fave Bowie boot, Santa Monica Civic '72...Being a So Cal resident I went to many a show at The Civic...I actually had a ticket for this show along with another three of my buds...unfortunately we had gathered way earlier than usual at a friend's house for a little pre-gig partying.... I imbibed a in a little too much alcohol and as I wasn't very much of a drinker when it came time to leave my pals left me snoring on the couch...they claimed to to try to wake me but I always thought it a bit suspicious that they gave my ticket to the prettiest young lady at the party and took her...oh well...

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Most fun show?

Maybe Lewiston 9/6/80. Great day of music (not just the Dead, although they did play a fine show), outdoors in Maine, tons of fun.

SPAC 6/27/85 was also fun. Only show I went to solo. Rode out on the bike, beautiful day, sat on the lawn and just enjoyed the heck out of the music. Rode down to Hershey the next day, maybe a better show but not as much fun.............

Most intense shows, anybody???
6/26/74
9/27/76
5/7/77
10/12/84
10/20/84

Rock on!!!

Doc
Celebrate 4/28/71!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Looks like it’s coming USPS the whole way. USPS hasn’t received it yet. Wonder if it’s coming from Gnarlywood or Franklin.

Nappy, you lightweight, you missed a good show. The remastered version from a few years ago sounds way better than the CD I got in the 90’s.

Disc golf tournie at Sixtus’?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Got the Shipping Notice. Said it will arrive Friday May 1st. coming from California

Saw the Dead hundreds of times between 1968 and 1995. Best years and Shows are from 1968 to 1974...second best times were 1976 to 1978. Early 1980's were still good but never got the magic from 1974 and earlier shows late 80's and early 90's were good too. only a few shows from mid 80's and Mid 90's were "so so" because of Jerry's condition.

I like any years for releases of shows between 1965 and 1995 as long as the sound quality is good. Those shows from the Fillmore East that lasted until Sunrise will always be among my Favorites, Jersey City 73 Watkins Glen 73 Philly Civic center 74 ALL GOOD

Chuck

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Nappyrags...whoops. Not the best show to miss in 1972 ! Even at 15 I could sense that this was a game changer.

From what you say, Doc, I would go on to say that our experience of any show depended-and still depends on, for that matter-a number of factors. And the music played is only one of them. Who we are at the time and our own personal state and circumstances influences how we perceive anything at any given time. And as William Blake wrote " A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees." Same thing with Dead shows.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

For Jim & others,

Ain't dead yet. The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated, although I often do feel these days that I have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. Stroke, pneumonia, hip bursitis, what's next, the Andromeda Strain???

Since we've been speaking of best & worst & such:
I recall that we didn't have a good time at Colt Park in 76. I think because we had some bad acid. Many speak highly of that show, musically speaking..............

But we did have a marvelously trippy time at Springfield in 78............

Off for my MRI. As the deadhead said, Garcia later..............

Rock it on out,

Doc

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Jason, do you have a brother named Todd? I think I went to school with him in PA. Thought he had an older brother named Jason.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 4 months

Hey, Dave. All right? Wow, yesterday came to me here in Brazil the vol 33. Today I ran to book vol 34 and it's over? What a pity.. I'm not in luck anyway. Too bad because I really wanted to hear this GD show.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Another great show at the Frost, just as good as the day before, if not better. The whole show burns, two encores, U.S. Blues and She Belongs to Me. 1985 and 1982 more then release worthy as a 4 show box set. The Frost and the Orpheum. Theatre, my two favorite places to see the Dead.

I hadn't given up on you Doc.. but a life well still being lived didn't sound as good so I left the wording alone.

Rock on.. Now, I have to visit the what are you listening to now thread because I hear the show du jour is Big Rock Pow Wow.. Love that release.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by tysonsupina

Was this directed at me?

If so, nope. Only child (though I do have 5 step brothers/sisters). Grew up and an still in Ohio. Though I had some real good friends that went to school in Philly.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

We had big fun at a LOT of shows. Some ones that come to mind: Buckeye '88, St. Pete '88, Cincy '89, Alpine '89, Foxboro '89, Spectrum '89, Hartford '90, Copps '90, Louisville '90, Deer Creek/Tinley Park '90, Richfield '90 (my 21st), Buckeye '91, Buffalo '92, Deer Creek/Buckeye '92, Richfield '93 (even with the snow out), Deer Creek/RFK '93, RFK '94, Auburn Hills '94.

Big fun.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Received mine as well.

Regarding the Blizzard '93 show, upon listening later was better than I remembered. I do remember the run of songs "Terrapin > Jam > Drums > Miracle > Stella Blue" being really well played. That Stella is one of my favorites I saw. Very powerful jam.

With the exception of the Deer Creek riot show in 95', the 50 some odd shows I attended were enjoyable experiences. Alpine 86' & 87' probably the most fun. Buckeye 88' was about as not "social distancing" friendly in today's terms as it got. Jam packed. A crazy fun time for a 106 degree day.

I would give anything to be back in the day of seeing Jerry play live. I Think we could all attest to that.

On a side thought, that Germany run from E72' are really nice.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Glad to see you back.

You and I have a lot of overlap.

I agree completely about SPAC and Hershey. SPAC was way more fun. Perhaps it was the long drive through the night or maybe the torrential rain, but Hershey was not much fun.

4/1/85 was an average show for me. The previous night was the Day Tripper, so it might have been a let down. If I recall, that was the night it snowed during the show. We exited to over 6 inches of snowfall and had to drive 5 hours through the back roads of Maine to get back to school. Arrived at 6:30 in the morning and had a Signals and Systems exam at 8:00. Got a 41. The highest grade in the class. My proudest moment in college.

Every Maine show I attended was a ton of fun. I never missed one in all my years of touring. Such a great place.

Most fun shows, aside from 10/12/84, certainly did not coincide with a well played concert.

10/12/84 stands far apart from any concert that I ever attended. Everything about it. The drive up to Augusta was during peak foliage. Just spectacular scenery. 10/11/84 was an average show. We under-dosed mushrooms and slept in the car at near freezing temperatures. The wooded knoll was too crowded to sleep. Not fun by any means. We awoke to unbelievably warm sunshine. Found a government building in town with a locker room and hot showers. Refreshed, we headed back to the Civic Center. Everyone was in such a good mood. The show itself needs no explanation. A life changing experience for sure. I will never forget walking out of there and wondering what the hell just happened.

As an aside, I was up in Maine last summer doing the tour of the three LACs with my daughter. The whole place is now littered with strip malls. Kinda sad, but I will always have those memories.

Most fun shows:

All the Maine shows were great. Oxford was especially fun, but nothing more than average shows. By average, it was still far better than anything out there. Just not life altering. That only happens once. I posted a month or so ago about Milwaukee 89. Probably the most fun we ever had, because of the town itself, not the shows. Again, nothing more than average.

Ironically, 7/4/87 was once of the worst shows I ever saw, but also the most fun. There were 30 of us. We were well aware of the headache getting out of there, so came fully prepared with grills, food, beer, etc. Way more fun hanging out in the parking lot than the show itself.

Funny you mention 10/20/84. I was there too. The Angry Jack Straw to close the first set. Never saw anything like that again either.

Peace Doc and be well.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html