• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

In reply to by gratefulgerd

Still nothing in Skåne.
I have given up thinking it will arrive.
I am in touch with customer service and asking for a replacement copy.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

I have just been informed that the Swedish Postnord have returned my Daves to sender! No information when or why, and no attempt at communication from them. I have been chasing them constantly since it was sent from Brussels on 19 may since when no tracking updates.
I hope Dead net can send a replacement......
This is not the first time something from Dead Net/Rhino has not arrived. Not their fault, but I shall not be subscribing again. Too much hassle.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Tried to post yesterday. System here unresponsive. (Usually that's my schtick...) Thought perhaps someone (Carlo3??) believed I went too far with that tame tale of twiddling. Had a story to tell. Forgot it.

Please resume your vulture-like waiting for ... yet another show.

So, one more DaP to go this year, which is usually something pretty sweet. Have we begun to speculate?

My entry is fall '72...................

I'm hoping for a '69 show as the final 2020 Dave's and then if we get a second box this year make it the '72 (STL) Fox box, ohh that'd be nice!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Dogon

It's a nightmare! Seems I'm the only one in Germany who has not received the CDs.
Wonder why this happens obviously only with deadnet/Rhino.
I'd ordered Garcia Vol. 13 on June 24 from the 'Big River' USA. Guess what? CD had been shipped on 2nd July and arrived on July 13.
Now 11 weeks waiting time for DaP 34.
I'm also waiting for DaP 33. After I received a shipping note on 30 Jan. I was in good hope. On 3rd April I checked status.
Surprise, surprise. Status said: processing! Customer service promised me to send a copy as soon as possible.
Repeatedly on June 23.
Next trip might be the WMD box, shipped July 10th. And I'm worrying what becomes of DaP 35.
I understand possible delays due to Covid 19, but as it has proved it can be done better.
The shipping time for the June '76 box was 6 weeks, but he box made it and it was acceptable.
I'm not sure if'll I ever buy or subscribe again.
Not a good day, Gerd
Dogon, check pm if you like

Huh, my posts from last night is gone, which is ok as I only was trying to see if it was just another board or all of Deadnet? I was ble to post, but not edit, then this AM it was all there, but now gone?

EROUPE DP 34: that’s crazy that y’all still are having problems getting 34? Murphy’s law too, it would have to be a killer 74.....have any of you tried contacting the Dr or Marye? Hope you receive yours one way or another, sooner than later.

Thanks for your concern Oroborous. I havnt reached out to Marye, because this time the fault doesnt seem to lie with Deadnet, rather, their choice of shipping. Of course the Covid epidemic has slowed things down considerably, but we are also talking about the delays of the various links in the chain which should get Daves to me, and Postnord has also showed a remarkable level of incompetence. I have phoned them numerous times but they do not recognise the tracking number, today I didnt let them fob me off, and was then told it had been returned to sender!
Deadnet have assured me that they will send a replacement, but even if they can get their warehouse to issue it, its another 2 months till I have it my hand. If it comes, thats a big if!
Onward and upward

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Dogon

Bummer, you folks across the pond have to be really dedicated just to get some new tunes!
Hopefully it’ll all work out and maybe someday they’ll figure a better alternative. It seems ridiculous in 2020 Covid or not that the “system” is so inefficient.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Hey, I totally meant the "too much info" as a funny response to a funny situation. I'm no prude, believe me I've had my share of covert sex at the shows.

user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

Still no DaP 34 here too!
I'm really exhausted by the way they managed things! I have been shopping on the Deadnet for 25 years but the last 2 years have been a disaster! Just for the record...Last year I had to pay twice the price of the Pacific Northwest boxset due to some mysterious courier deposit costs, I contacted Deadnet and you know what...they didn't even answer me!
Obviously I don't buy boxes anymore, I don't want to throw money away
@Dogon
you're right when you say that there are many links in the chain of the delivery but it's not my job to investigate, my deal is with Deadnet/Rhino.
OK I'm out
Have a nice weekend Dead Freaks

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Dave said the next one would be a big one, maybe 5/26/73 Kezar, that's a big one.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

38 years ago today I was down in Ventura having a blast! The Dead put on a great show, they ended the first set with Truckin. I spent a lot of time in the beer garden that day. Crazy fun times had by all.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Can anybody tell me how to get to Dave's 35 'Comments'? The links to 'Description', 'Product Details', 'Track Listing', and 'Comments' on the main 'Product Pages' no longer go anywhere. I was only able to get to this 'Comments' page because I have it bookmarked. I'm using Chrome. Same results on Firefox.

Am I missing something? – Wouldn't be the first time. . . Onward?

I can access it from the product page using my iPad. The other way is to click Community at the top of the home page, go to the bottom of the list and select Dead Store Products then scroll down the list, at the moment the DaP 35 comments are found on the second page of this list but will surely move up to be first page as more people comment. Then you can bookmark it. Alternately, wait until it appears in the last four posts shown at the bottom of the home page click there and bookmark it.
Hope this helps.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Just as I was about to go into existential free-fall, you and another brother showed me a new way to Dave's 35 Comments. Thanks a ton! I still don't understand why I can't get to 'Comments' via the main 'Product' pages (I tried Dave's 34 & 35 and WMD). It didn't matter if I was using Chrome, Firefox or Safari on my MacBook Pro – the links on the main 'Product' pages don't work – all that loads is the product image, Listening Party, Dave's Backyard Chat and dead* links to 'Description', 'Product Details', 'Track Listing', and 'Comments'. And everything's normal on an iPad? Weird. . . Thanks again for the workaround! Onward, Jeff

* That's 'dead', not 'Dead' ;-)

user picture

Member for

4 years 2 months

has anyone of you from Europe already received their copy of DaP34? because i'm still waiting. and the client support mailing agent or whatever wasn't helpful either, because he gave me a generic copypasta as an answer...

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by TheJeff23

The missing Europe CDs bugs me. I think (hope) they will get there eventually.
34 is monster good. Perhaps soon.... we hope.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Most European copies were delivered in June. Mine arrived in the Netherlands on June 3. Many others in Europe received theirs later that month but Scandinavians, amongst others, have, in many cases, not been so lucky and are still waiting or have given up. I am afraid this offers little consolation to those still waiting.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 7 months

I don't know for the rest of Europe, but here in Belgium I am still waiting for my DaP 34. I did receive a tracking number but USPS's status hasn't moved since may 12th and any response to my inquiry from customer service hasn't yet showed up (worst part about the situation is that the DaP shipments do transit in Brussels!). And of course that kind of thing had to happen with the DaP that came with the bonus disc. So, even if Dead.net issued a replacement, would it come with said bonus disc?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 9 months

I will make sure to get my own copy. I and my husband spent time that day on the beach.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...this release is getting pushed back to this Fall now Due to More Virus Condition Arose effecting final inspection quality control. I’m very grateful everyone envolved is keeping a close eye on All Details to this upcoming grateful release . Some primal 68’ dead awaits many turntables across the Gobe!
Have a grateful evening & weekend my brothers & sisters! Peace be with you all. I still enjoying WMD 50th and honestly the last 3 Dave’s picks in the series! It’s been a grateful 2020 for the Dave’s Picks series & bonus disc so far for this grateful DeadHead! I’m still going bonkers over #34! Lol ha ha! 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Yeah I got that email too.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Butch

Gave 6/11 another spin last night. What a wonderful show and a nice little box set.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

In case anybody reads this stuff any more....................

Miami was released six months ago. Still don't have the things promised to me by DL. Yup that's right, for six straight months not a soul has been at Rhino.

I deeply regret allowing TPTB to use those
pictures..............

Doc
Time moves in one direction, memory in another

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

In case anybody reads this stuff any more....................

Miami was released six months ago. Still don't have the things promised to me by DL. Yup that's right, for six straight months not a soul has been at Rhino.

I deeply regret allowing TPTB to use those
pictures..............

Doc
Time moves in one direction, memory in another

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Doc, let me get this straight, you loaned the Grateful Dead pictures, they promised you stuff, you got nothing? What the@$%& is up with that? DL time to get with the program or get down the road. Now I see where their loyalties lie with them selves and money I guess. Shame and just not Dead like. Do the right thing Dave and Deadnet

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by dewajack

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

user picture

Member for

6 months 3 weeks

keep'em comin', more '74!
celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

6 months 3 weeks

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
uncle_tripel

user picture

Member for

5 years 9 months

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html