• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

NAPPYRAGS, so happy to hear your good news!! There’s so much cancer going on in my tiny circle of friends, it’s frightening. I’ve lost 1, another has months to live, and a 3rd is doing well. I love to hear good news!!
Also, thanks for the hot tip on Bear’s Sonic Journals. I’m on it!!
Lastly, I was going through and playing some Janis Joplin cds recently, and was quite surprised to see that the 1968 Carousel Ballroom show released in 2012 states at the top: Bear’s Sonic Journals Presents....so that’s yet ANOTHER B’s SJ to collect. It also comes with rather strange instructions on speaker placement to enhance your listening pleasure. Crappy cover art, but a nice photo in the gatefold.
Less than 48 hours to go, my skin’s getting clammy & I feel nauseous......

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

I bought two copies, one for me and one for my brother. July 24th is right around the corner, lots of great music coming soon, two Garcia# 14s , two WMD next week, and a Dave's Pick from 9/20/70 or 10/9/82 on August 1st. What a great time!

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

The Christopher Walken cowbell skit from SNL. Replace cowbell with Dark Star and that's where I'm at. I got a FEVER. And the only cure is more Dark Star. 8/30/69.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by nappyrags

You mentioning your scan reminds me of one I had done about 12 years ago. It was amazing looking on the screen - I never knew it, but it seems I have a psychedelic light show inside my body. And there was me thinking it was all in my mind.
Talking of cellos, 50 years after the event I got round to buying Mick Farren's "Mona (The Carnivorous Circus) last week. You wouldn't think a cello solo would fit on a version of Bo Diddley's Mona-and it doesn't! Sergeant Pepper had a lot to answer for. Still, its different, I'll give it that.

user picture

Member for

8 years

FOR THE COMMITTED
AND THE CURIOUS
Gather round every Thursday as we tell the tales of Grateful Dead days of yore! The Good Ol' Grateful Deadcast, the first official podcast of the Grateful Dead, is devoted to exploring the music and mythology behind one of the most enduring, progressive, and influential bands in the history of recorded music. Here, we invite you to delve into the band’s enormous mythology in digestible chunks. Think you know it all? We'll probe corners of the band’s history you never knew existed. No topic will be off limits.
Hosts Rich Mahan and Jesse Jarnow will take the lead, picking up special guests from the Dead universe along the way. Upcoming episodes will feature interviews with Dennis McNally, David Lemieux, David Nelson, Bill “Grateful Red” Walton and Trixie Garcia, amongst many others.
To celebrate the 50th anniversary of WORKINGMAN'S DEAD, we're kicking things off with an eight-episode arch that examines each song on the album individually.
May the long strange trip continue across the pod!

user picture

Member for

8 years

*** Nappy Rags-“Congratulations !” Always grateful to hear grateful news! Peace be with you my brother, have a grateful day filled with lot’s of Love & Laughter! God bless my man!
🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Great, great news! You must of been freaking out waiting....had similar situation with the misses a couple years ago. In her case we wouldn’t know anything until after surgery, and then wait for lab results, which they weren’t sure about, so then on to mayo or other advanced labs......finally all was good, but my god I thought the poor gal was gonna croak just from the stress of waiting! I can’t imagine how difficult that must be?
Rock on brother, and enjoy those awesome new tunes!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

But not good about Morricone. I think I have a disc of John Zorn playing the music of Morricone; I'll have to dig that out . . .

Finally got to the second half of 5/19/74 on a road trip this week. Wow. I had been underwhelmed by the non-Vancouver 1973 shows in that box, and was not thrilled by the 5/17/74 show or the terrible-sounding first disc of Portland, but the last two discs of Portland are very special, as all of you knew long ago . . . I already know about the 5/21/74 Playin'. That was the first show from the box I listened to, on its anniversary after the box came out.

Jim--no shame on the Workingman's axe! I just received my Garcia jigsaw puzzle. :)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

WTJ: yassss, sad but true..say my last Garcia show 25 years ago today....😞

Hey, thanks for the McCoy Tyner tips. Ripped Inception/Reaching Forth, Tender Moments, The Real Mccoy, and Sahara yesterday, great stuff! Going to add one with Stanley Clark and Al Foster today...can’t believe I didn’t have any of him yet. Thanks for the tips!

KCJ: please check your PMs

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Thanks, cool you were there Billy. I'll have to check out Dicks Picks #5 Jim.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

Check out 1972's "Extensions" by McCoy Tyner....amazing, and one of my fave LP covers to boot....the band is kinda good too...

Alice Coltrane _ Harp
Wayne Shorter_Tenor Sax
Gary Bartz_Soprano & Alto Sax
Ron Carter_Bass
Elvin Jones_Drums

*June 25, 2020 - 3:26pm#207
LOVEMYGIRL
RE/ News
... I’ve been told to expect some news very shortly that will make ALL types of Grateful Dead fans, I promise you that! A magnitude
Of humanity back in business on both sides. Prepare for special treat my friends !
(This was the big news too. ) have a grateful day everyone! Be safe be kind & be grateful, we are the most spoiled fans in the world Dig it, far out! Keep on trucking all you Grateful Dead fans & freaks! 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

4 years

Just got the email that Dave’s 35 is going to be 4/20/84 at Philadelphia Civic Center. I thought Lovemygirl said it was going to be 6/20/80.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I was hoping for an 80s or 90s show. Someone here the other day mentioned how much she/he likes this "Holiday" show from 1984.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Thank goodness for Dave's Picks. This announcement is some much needed good news in these times.

4/20 no doubt.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Those shows deserve their own box. There's also that Gainesville show that pops up in discussion.

As big of a fan of Brent and that era, I'm happy with anything that comes out. I have nothing but time on my hands and looks to be the case through the foreseeable future.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I like the setlist. My copy is so so. I HAVE to believe an "official" copy will be better. I like the cover. Thought this be one me and mine were at, but we appeared to have got east and north this tour. Long Island and Rhode Island. Guess we took and Island tour that year.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

What a surprise, this 1984 show has been on my radar for many many decades. There's a fantastic epic Scarlet > Fire, I used to have an audience version of this show and man The Crowd Goes absolutely berserk during that sequence. Very happy to have some more 1984 Dead.

Hope everyone is well.
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

They must be saving 7/13/84 for a box set.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by billy the kid

I'm a bit under whelmed by this show...we shall see...

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

From the Wikipedia page for the Philadelphia Civic Center:
"The Championship fight scene for Tommy 'the machine' Gun played by real life boxer Tommy Morrison for the 1990 movie Rocky V was shot there."

I think I've seen only the first Rocky film . . .

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Hey All! So I have been doing a trip into the summer of 1985 so this release slightly, I mean ever so slightly, disappointed me on the choice. Again this is only because I have been going through (and loving) the summer 85 tour so I had this hope that one of those shows may get to see the light of day for #35. Despite that, my disappointment is miniscule in comparison to my excitement. I am really looking forward to hearing this one. I am sure it will offer up some great jams.

I checked out the setlist for 4/20/84 over at Deadlists real quick and it looks pretty good. I am sure the playing is top notch. I can't help but express how much I like this variety of years/eras in the releases and such. Between the 1976 box set, the 3 Dave's Picks, the 2/21/71 show on Workingman's and then all of the later era great shows from the Shakedown stream there is so much goodness in all of this. Definitely, this goodness is needed now more than ever for a lot folks.

Plus it's crazy to think that we still have the 50th reissue of American Beauty, DaP 36, 30 Days of Dead and possibly another box all on the way. I thankful for all of this. Hats off to Dave L. and the crew !

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

My 5th birthday! I was not one of those toddlers fortunate enough to have parents hip enough to bring me to a dead show. That would have been a cool 5th birthday present. Instead I probably got a He-Man or something. But i digress.

There's at least one good aud of this on the archive. How cool would it be if they did a matrix with the healy tapes and a good aud? The sound quality has been the main thing holding shows from this period back and it'd be nice to see them get creative with some sources, Dave's Pick #8 style.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Gratefulhan

Dooooaaaahhh, was at the 16 & 17th so missed it by that much! Have a tape of 4/21 but guessing since I don’t recall it I mighta been underwhelmed? But that’s the 21, sounds like the 20th is hot?

DAVES=Multiple years, for good or for I’ll, I also have appreciated the effort to mix it up and cover more years with Dave’s. If only we could get 1/60s, 1/70s, 1/80s, and a 90s a year. But don’t see that happening...
Hopefully at least 1 80s or 90s a year. I think it’s doable and fair.

EDIT: Matrix,...what Slow dog said!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Excellent choice, Dave!!!

Doubters, doubt not. This is a gooooood choice.

I promoted it recently on this here site. Coincidence? Hmmm...

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

I was there on 20 April 1984 in the old Philly Civic Center and saw the Grateful Dead. All of 27 years of age, I don't remember too much of the show, but the audience tapes I have sound quite well, but somewhat obscures this fine performance.
Great Dew!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The first Dave's picks versions of:

My Brother Esau
I Need A Miracle
Keep Your Day Job

I know how pumped everyone is for the first Dave Picks Era Day Job.

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

In reply to by Born Cross Eye…

I have not been following the comments of the releases here on dead.net for a while. Just reading through these recent comments on this Dave's Picks 34, I have not seen anything from our friend, Bolo24? About when was the last time he (or she) posted?
Anybody ever meet up with Bolo24 beyond the dead.net messaging system? He generally used to give us some odd clues about what he thought the next release is or could be.
So where is Bolo24?

user picture

Member for

15 years 8 months

In reply to by Born Cross Eye…

My favorite song. Yeah, sure. My favorite, totally pumped for this one.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I think Day Job is a really cool tune, I dig it!

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

...78. Totally capitalizing on the holiday here. Anyone do track timings? Any chance for filler? I hope they do something special (Matrix maybe?) Fingers crossed. Definitely a bold choice...

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Slow Dog, you crack me up, you are really funny, what a great sense of humor! I' m still laughing about your story about dipping your whole body in hand sanitizer. Keep it comming, it's fantastic!

I too like "Day Job"...lyrics are fun ....what I wasn't a big fan of was the use of "Don't Ease Me In" either as a 1st Set closer or encore...always thought it was kind of flat with no real oomph in the playing, nothing special...

Wasnt demi one of their first singles?

"Demi Moore
back in the day
mighty nice
hey hey hey"

- Lil CPAP

Look! Here comes Professor Vasdeferenz...

"Don't Ease Me In vass der firsht GD sinkle back in 1966"

Thank you, Professor.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by pkb

Ha.. false prophet my ass!

user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Anyone who wants to get a preview of what our fearless leader Dave L. will be probably be saying next Thursday check out the Taping Compendium. Tom Ferraro has some pretty interesting verbiage on his take of 4/20/84 . Although I am very interested in firing up this show I think I will wait the few weeks for it to come out. I have a feeling we are going to be told not to get caught up in the setlist but for an "84 show" they were firing on all cylinders. We shall see.

On another note someone posted this HILARIOUS video montage of The Music Never Stopped and it was one of those days I needed a good laugh so if you are having one of those days here ya go....God I miss Jack Tripper
https://youtu.be/RHf6tiFkr2s

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....got a pre-roll here that I would gladly split with anyone.
edit. Not Mulberry. But Mayberry. Auto correct will screw you if you're not paying attention.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html