• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Don't be embarrassed by your top five. Mine suck too, compared to the glory days. But, they were far better than anything else out there at the time. More importantly, they got you where you are today.

user picture

Member for

9 years 1 month

As a guy who even missed the Touch of Grey era, my list is a little embarrassing compared to the others. But even coming along as late as I did, I always felt very fortunate to have seen them on a handful of nights where they really seemed to catch lighting in a bottle. I also got to see Jerry's triumphant return (part 2) in Denver and the last 3 Shoreline shows and others...but musically these five were the magical ones.

8/16/91 Shoreline (1st set Dark Star at my first show)
10/31/91 Oakland Coliseum (Dark Star & Ken Kesey tribute to Bill Graham)
6/25/92 Soldier Field, Chicago, IL (Schoolgirl & much of 2nd set with Steve Miller & James Cotton)
5/26/93 Cal Expo, Sacramento, CA (Road Trips Vol.2, #4)
5/27/93 Cal Expo, Sacramento, CA (Road Trips Vol.2, #4)

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

I was at this show, the Dark Star/Promised Land is one of my favorite Grateful Dead moments. This show was a rocker and could easily be a Dave's Pick.

no show yet. Still waiting.
I've been to my favoured biergarten this afternoon in H. near FO and I've just returned home.
No information and no disc in the mailbox.
Got me some Hebendanz Anna Fest Bier. Might be helpful for the waiting time.
Enjoy
G.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Real Gone Music just announced Road Trips 3.1 for sale. Also, they have 2 Dave’s back in stock, including King’s Beach Bowl. Plus a handful of other Dave’s still in stock.
C’mon #35, I can’t wait much longer!! (Unless of course, I have to).

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

You mean Dick's picks.
No Dave's picks.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

In chronological order

12/01/79

11/30/80

08/03/82

12/12/90

09/10/91

6 thru 10

04/03/82

06/30/84

06/25/85

04/01/91

06/24/91

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 10 months

12/31/78

10/9/72

12/31/76

8/5/89

6/17/72

...always had a real good time!

user picture

Member for

8 years

... o heard three little birds singing songs of freedom and a message of love my brothers & sisters this very morning from a true stand up gentleman, and a gentle giant at that! he is gigantic I call him. many others nicknames, but I think one is most. Is the “Bear” especially being on the dead website and I’ll think it’s appropriate he’s the number one fan of the grateful dead inhis own way, he’s as biker ( if you understand the no name calling rule! But much love they’re guys have with the dead. I wish’s j could post photos!as well he is!
You got to work for NASA says host a picture on this dead bored Ha Ha Ha Ha
I forgot to write the new news because I’m so excited! Who wants, in need of , excited, grateful, some more acoustic performances from the good Ol Grateful Dead ?! I want more acoustic sets even recordings
🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

8 years

... I’ve been told to expect some news very shortly that will make ALL types of Grateful Dead fans, I promise you that! A magnitude
Of humanity back in business on both sides. Prepare for special treat my friends !

user picture

Member for

8 years

Another upcoming release this year,
“Skeletons From The Closet: The Best Of The Grateful Dead”
a 2018& 2019 remasters, Quality Audio.& primo production! I believe it’s the same as the “White Vinyl’” release from not to long ago!
Money beats soul! Every time ! Ahh I’m just playing around! I love this band😉, it’s member both in the band & the whole crew both label & organzation. I’m looking into more deta, I will post again later in the day! Take car my dead friends! 🙏❤️💀🌹
* https://www.amazon.com/Skeletons-Closet-Best-Grateful-Dead/dp/B085K5S26…

Release date is September 4 th , 2020 on vinyl! & Originally Released in February 1974, this is the best-selling Grateful Dead greatest hits collection to date. Features Truckin’, Sugar Magnolia, and Mexicali Blues.

Track Listings
Disc: 1
The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion) [2018 Remaster]
Truckin' (2019 Remaster)
Rosemary (2019 Remaster)
Sugar Magnolia (2019 Remaster)
St. Stephen (2019 Remaster)
Uncle John's Band (2019 Remaster)
Disc: 2
Casey Jones (2018 Remaster)
Mexicali Blues (2019 Remaster)
Turn on Your Love Light (2019 Remaster)
One More Saturday Night (2019 Remaster)
Friend of the Devil (2018 Remaster)
Product information
Label Grateful Dead Production
Number of discs 1
ASIN B085K5S26S

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Wow!! See what happens when you have fat fingers?? I was trying to type in DEADVIKES, and missed it.
Yes, I did mean Dick’s Picks. There are no Dave’s available.
LoveMyGirl—I want to get excited about what you have to announce, but there’s a level of incoherence that prevents me from getting excited.
I am excited about Workingman’s Dead 50th, as well as Dave’s 35. I’m hoping for a good, Covid free summer.
Be safe all!!

user picture

Member for

13 years 3 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

I think It's Obvious that we expect news shortly seeing that we are one month away from the next Dave's Picks release and tis the season for a fall box release and the announcement usually comes at this time of year. I have to agree with MR ONES about your "your level of Incoherence that prevents me from getting excited"

Billy, I didn't have anything to compare it too, but I can confirm the folks on the lawn went ape shit! The Jack Straw -> Bertha opener was also great (sans the Phil loose string sounding bass) and the Scarlet -> Victim -> Fire was quite nice as well.

The longtime Head who sort of hosted a bunch of us at the show had moved from Colorado a decade earlier, basically to see the Dead more often. Around 93 or 94 I asked him for some of his favorite attended shows (he'd seen a few hundred), so I might repay his kindness with some tapes. He said my first two of 8/16/91 and 10/31/91 were as good as any he'd seen. Whether he was just being lazy, nice or couldn't remember at the time, I still considered it lucky to have jumped in with those two shows. Hell, 2 Dark Stars if nothing else....

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 3 months

sure you will get your copy soon, usually I'm one of the last.
Enjoyed a few Greif Bräu yesterday evening in the city of ER.
Everybody enjoy the summer and the sun and the upcoming releases ...

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

I have just had a check, and notice that 5/9/77 on vinyl will finally be released on 24th October. Wonder what the world will look like then? If you go back 4 months, both coronavirus and Black Lives Matter were off most people's radar. Then...boom! Hopefully we will all still be around in 4 months to see what happens next.

I don’t have a crystal ball and I don’t know anyone with inside information so I will wait and see what appears. However, amazon.com ( not .co.uk) shows that cd versions of ‘The Grateful Dead’ and ‘Anthem of the Sun (1971 remix) will be issued on 28th August and, as mentioned by LMG, a vinyl version of ’Skeletons ...’ will be issued on 4th September, all by Grateful Dead Records. Amazon do not give any further details so I’m unaware of the track listings and don’t know if they include any extras.
I can't imagine needing any of these reissues and wonder why the first two albums are being issued again so soon after the 50th anniversary discs.
Looking forward to DaP #35 but I hope everyone will have got #34 soon.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

For those of us that actually give a shit about charts, this week's UK album chart has Bob Dylan at #1 with "Rough and Rowdy Ways" and Neil Young at #2 with "Homegrown". His bobness, at 79, is the oldest artist to reach #1 with an album of new material. Even if you don't give a shit about charts, it is somewhat surprising to see these two topping the charts in 2020.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I don't want to take anything away from the absolute greatness that is Bob Dylan, and to a lesser extent Neil Young, but I think it also speaks to the dearth of good new popular music out there. Yes, there are great up and coming rock and roll bands and yes there is phenomenal music being created today, but you have to work much harder to find it these days. I'm sure it has a lot to do with how technology has changed and the music business in general, but despite all that, where are all the can't miss bands putting out great new music that isn't overly derivative?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Is this the first time Bob Dylan has had a number one album in the UK, I wondered ? I don't know, but I would think that his last three or four self penned albums were more likely to have hit the coveted spot than any of his 60s albums.

Going back to upcoming releases, there was also 8/21/68 that was due to come out earlier this year, with a free comic thrown in. Seems to have got lost in the rush, that one.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

...the Neil Young Homegrown album is material recorded between 1974 and 1975, not exactly new unless you are working off a really long time frame.

user picture

Member for

7 years

Kicking it with 7/8/78 R.R.. especially the Estimated >the other one >Eyes. I did not forget the potent 78' arrowhead show for all you fans. It just never get old.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

GERHARD, that's funny. I was also having a few beers in the city of ER yesterday. And finally, today was the day I could pick up my DaP 34 (shipping notice said 04/30). Still no sign of the "June 1976" box set (shipping notice 04/08). I am sure the good people from customer service will sort that out, too. But to be honest, this whole waiting game has become just too much for me. I don't think I'll order from dead.net anymore. Of course I'm aware of the current situation all around the world. And I'm truly blessed because Covid-19 has not hit my family and I don't have to worry about losing my job. However, shipping times have grown longer and longer, extra costs have to be paid (today it was 11,20 €, I have no idea why - never had to pay tax for a Dave's Picks, just for the bigger box sets).
Anyway, it's the weekend and I'm sure I'll enjoy Jai-Alai Fronton. Also looking forward to GarciaLive 14 - made me listen to that old "Pure Jerry" single CD release on my way to work this morning, what a sweet duo show that is. Couldn't get hold of GarciaLive 13 but they usually hit the record shops here in Germany sooner or later. And then there's that complete 1971 show coming with WD 50th. Lovely releases ahead.

RUSTY STRING
Garcialive 13 is available on amazon.de although I can understand if you would rather wait to see it in a record store.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

Came across this today...already dropped it into my DMP, time to slap the headphones on and give a listen....

Grateful Dead
Auditorium Theatre
Chicago, IL
June 26, 1976

Matrix by Hunter Seamons

Set I

d1t01 - Tuning
d1t02 - The Promised Land
d1t03 - Sugaree
d1t04 - Cassidy
d1t05 - Row Jimmy
d1t06 - Mama Tried
d1t07 - Tennessee Jed
d1t08 - Looks Like Rain
d1t09 - Scarlet Begonias
d1t10 - Lazy Lightnin' ->
d1t11 - Supplication
d2t01 - Peggy-O
d2t02 - The Music Never Stopped

Set II
-----
d2t03 - Tuning
d2t04 - Playing In The Band ->
d2t05 - Saint Stephen ->
d2t06 - The Wheel ->
d2t07 - Playing In The Band
d2t08 - Samson And Delilah
d3t01 - Crazy Fingers ->
d3t02 - Stella Blue
d3t03 - Around And Around ->
d3t04 - One More Saturday Night
--Encore--
d3t05 - U.S. Blues

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

OK, I'm a little late to this party, but I could not resist. So I thought about the shows which first got me on the bus. There are plenty of other great shows I saw in many great locations, which made them memorable, also: Frost, the Greek, Cal Expo, Red Rocks, but here goes:

12/31/71 Winterland - My first show

8/24/72 Berkeley Community Theater - tripping at the back of the floor, Dark Star>Morning Dew, that did it I was on the bus

2/24/74 Winterland - the wall of sound in all it's glory

12/31/77 Winterland

10/31/83 Marin Civic Auditorium - We had great seats 10 rows center from the stage, great show

So many shows.....

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

My brother went to the first three shows you listed and I went the last two.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

Gerd/Gerhard/Rusty String
Still waiting here in Sweden.
It was supposedly sent from Brussels on may 19.Then, a couple of days ago a new message appeared on tracking:
Origin post is preparing shipment- we have received notice that the originating post is preparing to diaspatch the mail piece.
What does that even mean?
Time to get onto customer service on monday...every time this hassle!
Just got Paul Desmond box from Mosaic, sent monday from US arrived here thursday. But Dead Net is not Mosaic.

Good Morning,
I've ordered 14 last week directly from Jerry Garcia Official Store and will receive the bonus disc as well.
$ 25,42 incl. shipping.
Happy Entlaskeller - if applicabel
Grüße G.

user picture

Member for

8 years

Hey David, 1968 will be released 7/31
The printing company closed shop over four , five months ago due to virus. Yes, the printing company was the first Party to take a step back and cause delays in the final release date.
Printing is complete and absolutely beautiful!! Records have been pressed and labeled! Get ready to party with the greatest juvenile delinquents on the western! hemisphere, the Grateful Dead! 🙏❤️💀🌹
Have a grateful day everyone, peace be with you all my Brothers and sisters!
*** I never talk about the Garcia releases because that’s not my department but I had to say , Garcia 14 acoustic release! 1986, and it’s a home run! Primo!
...Also I’m not surprised Dylan is number 1 &. Neil Young is 2! They Have both played rock ‘n’ roll on the moon an other outer space mission’s! Lol

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Not going to fall into that marketing trap. $100 for a book I don't need that has 38 minutes of an unreleased live show thrown in to help to sell it. By the time international shipping, import duty and sales tax have all been added it would cost me around $150 and I'm just not prepared to pay that much for so little. Sorry but I'm not in on this one. Frankly I would rather they concentrated on getting the music to us rather than trying to separate us from our money with unnecessary and overpriced merchandise. Workingman's dog coat anyone?

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Curse you Dogon! You had to show me the world of Mosaic Records! Damn, Damn, Damn!

I'm a recovering limited box set collector and you hook me up with the Scarface of Box pushers!?!

Lots of nice boxes there, thanks for the name. Have a shortcut on desktop now to the website. Have to head out now. Luckily its the end of the month and the old folks will be getting the social security checks in the mail. Should be able to order some of these boxes soon!

The Scarface of all box pushers. I might have to check that out myself.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

I have the Complete Recordings of T. Bone Walker from 1940 to 1954 on Mosaic, came out in 1990. They don't carry it at Mosaic anymore, but you can still get it on the secondary market at a reasonable price, CD or lp. It's a knockout!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by simonrob

I hear ya Simon Rob. I’m only getting it cause the Mrs is a book junkie and went ahead and just ordered it. I’m sure I’ll enjoy it once or twice, but not really a comix guy. I’m with you, just release the music, like the whole dam vault ala carte already. Yes some recordings will sound lesser than others but so what, that’s called choice....remember when Mickey was talking about that along with the Terrapin museum etc, something about we hope to have it so you could put your order in upon arrival and we’ll have it ready before you leave.

EDIT: sorry Dennis, lol, your probably like the misses “there’s no such thing as too much” for her with books and you with box sets etc 😉

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Yo!! Rockers!!!

For those who are so inclined:

Charlie Miller has recently circulated new remastered copies of 1/24/71, 9/21/72, 2/9/73, 2/15/73, 2/17/73, and 12/2/73 Set 2...………….

You know where to find me...……………

Rock on,

Doc

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by simonrob

LMG - thanks for the heads up, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Simon....I wouldn't buy it off Deadnet, for all the reasons you mention. I was under the impression it would be available from Amazon UK-which might not be much better for you. I have just had a look, and it does seem a bit pricey even there-over £30. 00. Prices on Amazon are up and down more than I am...so I am going to keep a look out and see if it drops a bit in price before splashing out.

I am much more selective, generally, about buying Dead stuff than I was 10-or even 5 years ago. I have noticed I am more attracted to an expensive show on vinyl than a box set on cds from one of the years I am not so keen on. I no longer buy everything without thinking. That's just the music-I have never gone over board on the tee shirts etc-attractive though they look.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Billy I have a feeling you and I were at the same shows many times over the years in the bay area.

Someone mentioned the 12-12 -80 Swing show right after Lennon was killed, I was there and you could hear a pin drop during "he's gone", it was an incredibly moving performance.

I have to add 10/14/80 Warfield theater to my list, unforgetable for the champagne toast from the entire audience to the band when they returned for their encore.

God those were the days.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

The version advertised on amazon.co.uk is the paperback version which doesn’t include the LP. When it was first announced in April 2019 the Relix magazine website said that the paperback would come with a download code for some early GD music, however looking at the Z2 comics website now there is no mention of any download code. I wonder if the paperback still includes any music? The hardback is limited to 6800 copies but even after more than a year it hasn’t sold out. I won’t be buying it.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Ive been in a GD 80s groove recently

Decided to check out 9 2 68 today

It's all GD...quite a contrast

July 10th approaches, good people. 2 21 71!

Second box will announced close to Christmas I predict

Mid October?

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html