• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by CaseyJanes

. How’s it hanging! Hope all is well 👌🏻

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by nappyrags

So can we buy it or what?

I wanna keep it forever and ever...

Old school, I know but streaming isn't permanent.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

I wonder if they will put a physical copy out of this.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by billy the kid

....very interesting. Stream only format. 2 1/2 hrs. Only 4 minutes deadicated to Cumberland though :(

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by The Good Ole G…

Agreed, don't see it anywhere.

I like physical copies also. NOTHING streams forever.

If it's being given away, send us a link to a mp3 location. (at minimum)

Maybe at the very minimum, send a link to DaP subscriptions. (oh, that maybe a little self serving, sorry)
But I have no fear, a link will be provided AND a resourceful Head will get them down and out.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

They said they found these in a bunch of unlabled boxes, maybe 6/17/75 and 6/11/69 were also in those boxes, or maybe more live 1970 shows.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Nice synchronicity of having to listen to that slab of pure cheese in the dentist's office, because whenver I hear "Summer of '69" it's like having a tooth pulled.

I listen to classic rock radio in the background all day at work. I can't be too engaged in it, like constantly selecting and changing music, etc., so the local rock station just plays songs all day long. It's mostly ok, hell, they even play the Dead every once in awhile even if it's usually "Touch Of Grey."

Probably the cheesiest, absolutely most cringe-inducing vehicle of sonic crappiness has to be Bruce Springsteen's, "Born In The USA." The keyboards are the cheesiest ever, and the Boss wailing over it in that I've-really-got-to-take-a-dump voice of his is just too much, not to mention the full-on patriotic velveeta of the lyrics.

There are a few others that rankle me, like anything by Bon Jovi, but I think "USA" takes the cake.

user picture

Member for

7 years

I fully agree with ledded. The most puke inducing music on the planet. Especially 'thunder road'.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

....did you know he was a draft dodger? Born In The USA ok. But won't fight for it. My 2 cents.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Ever see the Burns Doc 'The Vietnam War'? I wouldn't want to fight in that shit either. Government lies to you and knows it can't win, yet drafts it's young men into the meat grinder. Sign me up! :-P

Not a huge fan of Springsteen's music, but until your number comes up you never know what you will do.

This my country right or wrong jingo bullshit is how we ended up where we are now. Cough cough. USA!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

I would think that Bruce Springsteen has quite a few rivals in the awful record category in classic rock. Pity they don't have station for real rock n' roll. Or maybe surreal rock n' roll.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Born in the USA....now I’m no Bruce fan, yes he’s a good entertainer, and he wrote some good songs, but his actual talent as a musician etc is limited, and that band sounded like a wedding band, not a R&R band. But.....But, I really enjoyed his mostly solo On Broadway special. You could actually hear the lyrics and he is a good entertainer and story teller. He ought to perform like that all the time. And I’m not sure, but I believe Born In USA is actually an anti USA song not a wave that flag,....I think?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Yes, I have heard that it was subversively a protest song. Looking at the lyrics I don't know how that could have been. It's quite obvious when you read them. Maybe since the only words anyone could probably understand was the refrain was why it became misunderstood as a 'patriotic' song. :-)

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I would like to add, I respect Springsteen as a songwriter. Like it or not, feel a part of it or not, he has given voice to a great number of Americans. I'm kind of iffy about that voice in totality, but I'm a big fan of songs like Cover Me, I'm On Fire, Brilliant Disguise, State Trooper (chilling!), Radio Nowhere and others.

It's a mixed bag and he's so prolific, I'd probably say I'm a real fan of 5 to 10 percent of his recorded output. Saw him live right after 9/11, and he only played like two hits and they were the cheese! Born To Run and the aforementioned nationalist jingo "USA." He'd just released that political album and spent so much time on the soapbox. Yes, I agree with his politics, but it was such a drag! We bought those tickets to go rock out live not attend a partisan rally.

The best songs are full of ambiguities and sometimes the writers themselves change their mind about what the words mean over time, and this is a good thing. "USA" touches on the horrors of war, but also that chorus was like a redneck Chevy truck commercial.

No matter. You don't generally get where Bruce is without learning a hell of a lot about your craft, working very hard and earning your connection to your audience. No disrespect to the Boss or any of his fans - I just can't take the "cheese."

\m/

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 8 months

Our 4th of July if you were wondering. Eh.

Have a grateful weekend averyone and stay safe.

PS. Sounds like hockey is on it's way for those still interested! Can't wait!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Yeah, yeah, I agree, He supposedly has these great lyrics, but you can’t understand them especially over the smashing garbage can lids and Casio toy keyboard, or the overly eq’d piano., and three guitars mostly playing nothing....shit sounds like a wedding band to me, and no disrespect to the big man, but he wasn’t no Coltrane.... that’s why I dug that Solo On Broadway we saw on Netflix....you could actually hear the lyrics and he’d sometimes set up the songs or meanings. I’ve never been a fan, but in this format he was awesome!

EDIT: Happy Canada Day to our fine brothers and sisters in the great white north! (Cue the beer hunter music from the Great White North movie with Bob and Doug, hosers! ) Hey, I’m part Canadian so I can say that lol

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Hey Dennis & Billy The Kid...check your PM's....

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Today I had to drive into town (Flagstaff, AZ 90 miles one way) to pick up a new external Hard Drive as one of my drives ate it a couple of days ago...it was an 8TB drive that I've had for a few years...I learned the hard way about ten years ago of backing up the back ups so no music was lost, only time & Ca$h...my drive takes me through Ponderosa Pine forests as I climb up and over the south end of the San Francisco Peaks, but even at that altitude and forest we're pretty much considered high desert...so I played this anniversary show, a Hunter Seamons Matrix...

GRATEFUL DEAD
SEATTLE CENTER COLISEUM
SEATTLE, WA
JULY 1, 1979

JERRY GARCIA - Lead Guitar, Vocals
MICKEY HART - Drums
BILL KREUTZMANN - Drums
PHIL LESH - Electric Bass, Vocals
BRENT MYDLAND - Keyboards, Vocals
BOB WEIR - Rhythm Guitar, Vocals

CD ONE
1 - TUNING (3:47)
2 - MISSISSIPPI HALF-STEP UPTOWN TOODELOO > (8:31)
3 - FRANKLIN’S TOWER (13:33)
4 - MAMA TRIED > (2:34)
5 - MEXICALI BLUES (5:55)
6 - PEGGY-O (9:53)
7 - MINGLEWOOD BLUES (8:25)
8 - STAGGER LEE (8:12)
9 - EL PASO (5:50)
10 - BROWN EYED WOMEN (7:15)
11 - PASSENGER (5:51)

CD TWO
1 - TUNING (2:00)
2 - DON’T EASE ME IN (5:09)
3 - SAMSON AND DELILAH (11:32)
4 - SUGAREE (16:38)
5 - TERRAPIN STATION > (12:03)
6 - PLAYING IN THE BAND > (13:53)
7 - DRUMS > (9:27)

CD THREE
1 - SPACE > (3:43)
2 - STELLA BLUE > (10:42)
3 - TRUCKIN’ > (9:29)
4 - AROUND AND AROUND (11:10)
5 - SHAKEDOWN STREET (8:40)

Mission successful ...new drive in hand and my ears are ringing...

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Nappyrags, thank you for sending me that information on the Workingmans dead outakes. I tried to send you a pm back about it , but I don't know that it went through. I downloaded the file you sent me but my Kindle Fire would'nt let me open it. I'm not very computer savy, so it's probably something I did wrong. I'm much better with a pick and shovel then I am with a computer. Anyways, thanks again man.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Thanks JRF,,,, let me wipe the tears, there, better. Great cover, great guitar by Tom. A few years back there was a special "music cares". They had people doing Bruce songs, while thanking him. Anyway, Tom Morello and Jim James (from My Morning Jacket), knock this bitch out of the park with jamming at the end. (Alabama Shakes did an incredible job on Adam Raise a Cain)

All the Bruce talk yesterday and it seemed not much Bruce love here :-) I like Bruce (I have to, I'm from Jersey), but really I found Bruce at a low point in my life and his songs gave me hope. And Darkness on the Edge of Town, maybe his best album. The River next. (is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worst). His happier songs (bouncy?) remind me of the roller rink, and I grew up there. :-)

Tonight I'll be on that hill 'cause I can't stop,
I'll be on that hill with everything I got,
With lives on the line where dreams are found and lost,
I'll be there on time and I'll pay the cost,
For wanting things that can only be found
In the darkness on the edge of town.

Nappy - Thanks for email, down and done. FYI - I too just bought a new HD. Got a 10tb Seagate. My old one didn't croak, but I outgrew (kinda). In any event, now I got some working room :-)

We got any old main frame computer people out there? IBM 360 days. The old 2314's disk units were 30 meg drives and they were about the size of a washing machine and ran 200,000 bucks each. Today 10TB sits on the corner of my desk!!! Progress!!

Final Jeopardy question - Is a 10 TB drive heavier when full?

I was actually watching a concert on blu ray with Bruce Springsteen in the band earlier this week - the so called Black and White Night by Roy Orbison. Bruce sings back up vocals and plays perfectly adequate rhythm guitar. He doesn't come off too well trading solos with James Burton-but apart from Albert Lee, I can't think of anyone who would.

He also co-wrote the immortal Because the Night with, and of course sung by Patti Smith. One of the great singles of the late 70s. I have never heard any of his albums though. The bits and bobs I have heard by him with his band don't sound too promising, I have to say.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Well, you all have forced me to chime in. My first reaction to the negative Springsteen dialogue was to get defensive. Thankfully, I remembered that we all don’t have to like the same music all the time. I dislike a number of bands discussed here, but never felt a great need to bring it up.
I was mid-late teens when Bruce released his first few albums, so lyrically, I could relate( a LOT). Being an east coast kid helped also(I believe). He is not a technically great musician, but as a showman, I put him way, way up there. Some of my favorite parts of his shows were the between song stories he told. I could really relate. And this “wedding band” stuff. I don’t agree, but usually, when people slam stuff they don’t like or understand, they use these typically pejorative generalizations.
I always loved his use of organ & piano live, it sounded fantastic to me. And the band had at times, a stone heavy “Neanderthal” thump, which I also liked. In any case, after The River album, I was pretty much done with Bruce, I no longer related as much to the lyrics, and he did get REAL poppy.
Sometimes I think one has to hear an artist at just the right time & place to “get it”.
It was good to hear from DAVEROCK, who’s opinion I always respect. I believe that some bands don’t cross over well, UK to US, and vice-versa. Not sure why, but it may be culturally driven. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE , a ton of UK & European bands, yet others, I just don’t get. No big deal I suppose.
We (thankfully) are all allowed to like & dislike whatever bands we choose. In this forum, we generally share a lot of the same likes. So, I don’t really feel the need to defend Bruce, I still pretty much only listen to the first 5 albums.
But it’s in the WAY that some folks deride, that shows a bias & maybe even a little bitterness.
When it comes to music, I’m only about beauty, love, and especially, discovery.
That Tom Joad clip gave me goose flesh, and the lyrics are so appropriate TODAY!!

P.S. one of my favorite things about music is I get to listen & love so many different styles. The Beatles, GFR, Black Sabbath, Miles Davis, Cream, Steppenwolf, John Coltrane, Terry Riley, XTC, The Grateful Dead(!!), Bill Frisell, Johnny Cash, The Carter Family, Steve Reich, Kraftwerk, Iron & Wine, James Gang, Deep Purple, Doc Watson, Steve Marcus, Jack DeJohnette...I really could go on for days.
Music is the BEST!!!!!!
C’mon WD 50th, and Dave’s 35!!
Stay safe and healthy all.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Well said. I'll never understand why some feel the need to shit on things, especially something so subjective as music, ... other than they love to get a negative reaction from others. It's gotten pretty thorny around here lately.

We all learned it through fairy tales, but it still holds true today: Don't feed the trolls.

Peace

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Born In the U.S.A.--Incredibly powerful ANTI-jingoist song. The fact that it comes across as a wrap-your-head-in-the-flag anthem is part of its brilliance. The song is actually coming down on jingoists who exhort us into war, then crap all over the soldiers by voting for politicians who strip away veteran benefits.

Please listen to Bruce's first two albums, THEN tell me you don't care for him! :)

Has he gotten schlocky since Tunnel of Love? In my mind, yes. But to discredit everything through Tunnel is a bit drastic. Not many rockers put out great albums for decades and decades . . . and check out some of his 70s live shows. Wow.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Dennis, thank you very much. I hope you have a great day.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Mr Ones - spot on as usual. It seems true that music I have liked for decades is at least partly due to the time and place when I first heard it. Maybe great music needs a receptive listener to make it truly make it great. And to criticize an artist shows the limitations of the listener rather than the musician concerned.
A lot of music I liked as a teenager still sounds great to me - but if I played it to one of my friends who is over 60, who had never heard it before, I am sure they wouldn't get it. Albums like "Electric Warrior" Paranoid" and "Space Ritual" weren't made with retired people in mind. But if you were 16 and its 1973...
I would also agree that some music travels better abroad than others.

Billy the Kid...thanks for posting that clip showing Jerry jamming with James Burton. Great stuff - I have never seen that before.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Still waiting for Dap 34. It's a bummer. 63 days have gone since shipping.
Having a Hebedanz Anna-Fest Bier to compensate.
Just Listened to 1971-07-02, Fillmore West. It was also a great year. I really enjoyed!!!
Gerd

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 3 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Yes it is not really jingoist, Born in the U.S.A., and I do like Bruce S.. Yet I do understand that not everyone does. Criticism is fine and often funny. That Lee Greenwood song is not really jingoistic either but rather it is just kind of corny. No offense intended to anyone.

P.S. Bruce's Gypsy Biker is quite a good anti-war song (Iraq) and very moving.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Good call! Man, it's been forever since I tuned that one in. Probably on tape, an early show to my collection.

Thanks for mentioning.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Shipping notice 5/26. Actually shipped 6/22. I was watching the street, but missed the mail carrier, so it sat for a spell in a black mailbox in the direct sun on the hottest, sunniest MN day yet this summer. Hope the vinyl didn't melt! #2017.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years

Hello, I recently got a Spring 1990 The Other One Box except it came without the 144 page book. I was wondering If anyone had an extra book they would be willing to sell me here. I see individual shows from this set posted on eBay from time to time so assume they may be out there. If you got an extra or know where to find one please PM me. Many thanks

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Cactus_Jack

Big Hello to JRF and thanks for that awesome TJ with Morello. One of those instances when it caught me off guard and just right.

BILLY THE KID: ditto, thanks for the awesome postS. Can you see how happy Jerry was? I swear as magnificent as the Dead is I sometimes feel I’d rather watch JG with other folks in low profile situations, which is what I did for a while after your Sweetwater songs. Los Lobos, Santana, you name it he could step in and just fly. Think back to all the awesome projects he was working on in the later years that had little or nothing to do with the Dead and it’s really quite a list of really great stuff. As has been speculated before.....have to wonder what might of been if they would have just taken some time off and/or not toured so much. Did the Dead inadvertently kill Jerry?...

6/21/84: I was there, and don’t recall much except we dropped right on the international border going over the peace bridge, and yeah, that was a blistering Scarlet/Fire, oh and the Band was good, and fun on the encores including I think my first Big Boss Man?

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html