• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Morning rockers!!!!

Ah yes, 9/20/70, one of the all-time classic Dead shows. Ever since I've been here there's been calls for its release.

The acoustic set, one of THE best ever, would have made a most excellent companion to the WD 50th re-issue. Alas, it was not to be.

The electric set! Delightfully off kilter, scorching, intense, and sonically deeply flawed. As somebody who has listened to a boatload of versions of this, I think I can say that maybe, just maybe with current technology Mr Norman and others can get this straightened out, but it will be a challenge................

Commander Cody 1970, sir you are so fine!!

Rock on rockers!!!

Doc

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

I was just busting your ass in response to the renewed nonsense on the board. You are one of our most esteemed contributors and I hold you in the highest regard.

The later year versions of Jack Straw have energy and appeal to me more. I would say the same for LLR and Bird Song. I realize that a lot of folks don’t enjoy LLR, but the band banged out a higher energy version at my first show, so it has always stuck with me. Plus Fay has been pounding the Northeast, so it seems timely.

I would be in favor of a 9/19/70 release. Very cool Darkness>China Cat jam in the middle of Not Fade Away.

Also, nice to see Doc reemerging. Another elite poster.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I'll admit that the Jack Straw from 7-2-1988 is what hooked me for life. Before that I was a Grateful Dead fan, but the Oxford Plains Speedway Jack Straw blew me away. 32 years later and I can still feel the Phil Bombs shaking the ground. Good times.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Timster

One of the few GD88 shows I hold in high esteem

The one that should have been on ttats, not 7 3

Not that theres anything wrong with that...

I imagine the JS in person was reeeeeally memorable

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

The Iko-Iko opener was fun but that Jack Straw was incredible. A lot of details of that day are fuzzy for some reason, but the JS was unforgettable for me. I do hope this show gets released some day.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

8/13/87. It's a doozy.

Favorite version I caught in person...7/18/89. Someday it'll get released. Same with 7/2/88. Wasn't there but thats a monster.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

Caught that one. Whoo Hoo.

The ill-behaved freak in front of me would not sit down during Jack Straw so I barely got to see the band for the first few songs. Pretty sure it was HedrixFreak.. pretty sure he absconded with my woman that night too.. but 33 years later, all is forgiven.

I've posted about this before. J Straw from The Go To Nassau release is fantastic. Jerry shreds it like a speed metal player! The band hits all the marks at just the right moments and never misses a cue. It is just exactly perfect.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Just reading the relix email that comes in everyday and it had an announcement about DaP 35, says something to the effect, includes a rare first time release 'day job', only play 57 times between such and such.

The way my buddy whined you'd have thought they played it 57 times in one show! :-)

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

April Fool's show, 1984, they opened with Never Trust a Woman, then played it seven times more in a row. The second set had nothing but nine Day Jobs. The encore was a super-slow, twenty-minute Same Thing. There's a good audience copy on Relisten.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Hey Jim, that WAS me in front of you. And your woman was going commando, what else could I do?

Okay, two short, related true stories. A bunch of us were at a GD show at the Rocks and a good friend of mine and his brother were getting emotional together, so my good friend's girlfriend sidles up to me and we're dancing together. Gradually, with one eye down the row on my friend, I slipped my hand into her shorts (she's going commando) and twiddled her to a "happy ending," stopping in time for the set break and avoiding getting caught, etc. You should have seen the grateful look on her face. Oh man. A true story that I'll treasure to the end of my days. Second story is not salacious: Lyle Lovett show at the Rocks. He's got his Big Band with him. They hit the stage and start to swing, so I jump up and start shakin' it. A woman behind me goes: "Sit down!" I look around, and it's freakin' date night everywhere and I'M THE ONLY PERSON SWINGING TO THIS BIG BAND... Sick. So I acquiesce and sit down. Our favorite beer lady comes by and whispers to us, "Who ARE these people?" Later, it begins to rain, and every single one of those deadbeats is up on their feet, now needing to shake it. P.S. I never went to another Lyle show again, despite how great he is, because his audience TOTALLY SUCKS!!

Next post, I'll tell ya how I REALLY feel!

user picture

Member for

7 years

Way to much information. I hate country but I do like David allen coe.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Hendrix, I love that story. Nothing out of line there. I know you sniffed your fingers after. For those not in the know, Red Rocks isn't just special, it's magical. Too many decades of great stories to share all, but here's my favorite.

Page & Plant, mid '90s. I went down stage left into the bathroom from my seat to crush up a monster line of blow. Fully numb, as I'm hiking back up toward the bowl of the amphitheater, they go into No Quarter. It's all blue light and smoke, and Jimmy Page is dressed in black jeans and a black long sleeve T-shirt. He's got a cigarette dangling, head down and playing that mesmerizing riff.

I'm standing there with a double Stoli and 7, high as fuck, and I kind of amble on over to the front of the stage to catch a closer look at my hero. Any second, security is going to shoo me away.

Didn't happen. No Quarter is a long song... peaking from the line, crushing my drink, 25 feet from Jimmy fucking Page and Robert wailing his ass off. After that performance, I could have been struck by a bolt of lightning and died happy.

Let's hope we can all get back together at Red Rocks sooner than later. Be well friends.

\m/

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

Day Job has been released twice (prior to this Dave's), on Dick's Picks #6 (10/14/83), and Dick's Picks #21 (11/1/85).

Though perhaps Relix meant for Dave's Picks only.

The Lyric and Song Finder site (by Alex Allan) has the full release date of Dave's 35. I will spill if you guys want. There is a Day Job and it is also the latest date for a Dave's Picks release.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

I was hoping he'd go all out on that release. There were some legendary shows, for certain (the '67, '69, '79, '87, '91, etc), but I'd have gone bigger. Nothing wrong with the ones on there, for sure. But agree wholeheartedly on '88.

Also, Alpine '89 was fantastic. Those 3 have to be released in their entirety. Video, audio. Whatever. I know Downhill is close, but not quite for 7/17/89.

user picture

Member for

7 years

How does a concert work at red rocks? Is there a building with toilets and a food court or porta-sans? Obviously the stage is outside but does each band play on a permanent stage or does each band create their own stage and sound system on the desert floor? The pictures look cool in the july 78' box but I've never been there so it seems difficult to imagine how it works in the desert. Thanks.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by carlo13

Dave's Picks #34 06/23/74 Jai-Alai Fronton, Miami has, after repeated listening, become one of my favorite releases. It is the counter argument to Daverock's preference to the fast songs (which I totally understand and agree with). Like Karajan conducting Bruckner this concert has a constant pulse that hypnotizes. It starts with Ramble On Rose. First set ends with China Doll. Second set starts with Ship Of Fools. You get the (slow) picture. Mellow but a constant pulse. Damn good concert.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Remember the U2 video, with the torches burning? How it works is God created this bowl. Like a steep and deep natural amphiteater, you know, outside. Under the stars. It's our dusty old cowtown's answer to the Hollywood Bowl.

Red Rocks has the edge on the bowl for natural beauty, but L.A. is L.A.

Red Rocks is a national park in Morrison, CO. Like Jim. The Morrison Inn, incidentally,
on the corner features awesome Mexican food drinks and a great hang.

Or rather, it did.

Red Rocks is a state park, that is open when concerts aren't setting up. Any of you Dave Matthews
Band douches could actually go there and stand right center stage and have her snap your photo
with your Yamaha.

The catwalks to the dressing rooms are also, open, though not the rooms themselves except to bands on band days.

I've always had a hotel room near the Hollywood Bowl we walked back from and carried on.

Red Rocks is different. You are in nature. Morrison has no hotel rooms outside of a couple under the radar B&Bs. You got to have a responsible adult at the wheel after concert man to collect you all and make it home safe.

\m/

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by mhammond12

This Black Peter. Oh my. So good. And so slow.

Unrelated postscript...I would have thought from previous posts he'd be dead by now.

Mhammond...I would agree that this is one of the best releases. It never occurred to me that it featured a fair few ballads - it all fits together so seamlessly. It isn't a ballad, but Dark Star only really gained gravitas when it slowed down a bit ( a lot) in 1969. I generally prefer slow music to slow songs..but it just goes to show that for any statement expressed, the opposite is most likely true as well.

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Mhammond... Bots don't die, unfortunately. They just copy and paste until the end of the world as we know it.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by simonrob

Agree. Add in the Bonus Disc and it's special.. sort of like the WOS Road Trips, the release plus bonus disc makes for a great little CD.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by LedDed

Strangely, I kept coming across Jimmy Page in my wanderings up to about 10 years ago. He was at the WOMAD festival about 1999, then again at a Jeff Beck concert a few years later, and then, most surprisingly, at the miniscule Borderline club in London when I went to see The Pirates( featuring the great Mick Green on guitar, incidentally).
The last time I rubbed shoulders with him was in FOPP record shop about two years ago, flipping through L.P. sleeves also in London. I have never spoken to him, but he seems a really humble man, and nice to see he is still obviously enthusiastic about all sorts of music. But it felt funny standing next to him in The Borderline and at FOPP. There's him, who can captivate thousands on stage playing guitar solos for the ages-and there's me, who gets tongue tied in front of more than about 4 people!

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

In reply to by LedDed

No apologies here. Stories is stories. If they're true, that's the way it goes.

Ledded, you captured a moment in true style. How many times did we "crush a monster pile of blow" at that joint?

And you DAMN WELL know I sniffed my fingers.......................

Has definitely been a top Dave’s for me. Have to give it a couple more good spins before 35 arrives, which after listening to some 84 lately I’m really stoked.
Stating to wonder what the “other” thing will be that Dave hinted at earlier this year? Will it be tied to AB 50th, or something completely different? Like the old ketchup commercials “anticipa—aa-tion, it’s making me wait” lol

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by Oroborous

I can't believe how much I STILL listen to this release. Not really in full anymore, but in the car I'm always putting on a few songs. And the bonus disc is amazing - I get a lot of mileage out of that one. In fact, on July 4th, we had a little family BBQ (literally just the small family of mine) and we played the China>Rider and Eyes on my deck while grilling and everyone really enjoyed the moment....

As for 35, I'm looking forward to it. I really like it when they throw a curveball our way and a show from 84 certainly was not expected. I still go back to the H>S>F from the 1983 show they released a while back. What a wild and (somewhat) messy show - and I loved it!

Hope everyone is well -

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

I've seen some great shows on July 13th and I forgot to post them yesterday. 7/13/76 from the Orpheum theatre , is one of my top 3 shows attended. 7/13/84 a Friday the 13th at the Greek, with a shooting star and a Dark Star encore. 7/13/85 down in Ventura, with a Cryptical and a far out swinging party all weekend! Dave , it's time to release that West Coast box set, best of Frost, Greek , and Ventura.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by 80sfan

I have DeadheadBrewer to thank, but apparently there is an IPA called Jai Alai, which is decent, so I had to give it a try, having my second now, hence the post.

But thanks to MHammond, 80sfan and numerous others, I was reminded to give this whole release listen #4, starting today.. I timed my morning bike ride to be about the same length as the first set. I also brought my 12 year old with me, him on my ebike, me on the leg powered one.. about 3/4 through our ride, he was circling back to make sure I didn't have a stroke or something.. passed me and about three minutes comes back up the hill I had just climbed and says.. two words, daddy, bears. Just as Weather Report Suite transitions to Let It Grow, I turn around and see a pretty jumbo Mother Bear and two cubs playing around under a shade tree. Dancing Bears. There are bears here, but they seem more active at dawn, dusk and in the night then the middle of the day. Very cool.

Ok. Back to your regularly scheduled Dark Star>Spanish Jam

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I'm going on vacation for two weeks, to Wisconsin and Maine and all parts in between, driving from Colorado. I want nothing to do with the airlines and their recycled puke covid air, and the fact that they've stopped serving cocktails, except in first. Not my kind of party, esp. what with the fam in tow.

The current listen is Deep Purple: In Rock. Saw Purple late last year and they remain in fine form. Ian Gillan has become thin, but not sickly and is in fine voice. For any guitarheads who've been paying attention, Martin just released this gem:

https://www.martinguitar.com/new-sc-13e-acoustic-electric-guitar/

I just got mine Thursday and took it up to the mountains for the weekend. It has unbelievably great access to the entire register, low action and tone to spare. It responds amazingly well to picking dynamics from feather-like Steve Howe touch to James Hetfield chunk. Go get yours now.

In closing, where is the 1984 thread? This is getting stale. Oh and Gilligan, I ain't dead yet and won't be dropping any time soon.

\m/

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Don't tell me you're going to the Dells! :-O

P.S. Congrats on your fine new axe... :-)

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

You'll love it

I got an email last week to say that this Octobers show has been postponed to October 2021, so fingers crossed everything will be okay by then.
They were amazing in 2017 - the drum roll introducing "Fireball" blew the roof off.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Your buddie's cousin's friend heard of a guy that makes $96 an hour on the internet...that's neat, going without artwork for 5 months is horrible, I've recently met a prince in Nigeria who has similar issues with his inheritance.

Why have I seen the new Dave's 35 show given on Jambase 2 days ago but no where on this site yet? Am I blind?! 4/20/84 show will be interesting for sure, wonder what the sound quality and source will be. Not sure I got it on the announcement.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

The announcement said that orders for 35 would open on 16 July at 10:00am PT, whatever that is where you are. I expect information and a video will appear around about then.

Somebody I don’t know’s best friend’s acquaintance can make $1000’s a minute, but that does involve bank robbery.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Wasn't it the movie Point Break where the bank robbers wore dead president masks?

I foresee a string of successful bank robberies where the only clue is they thieves wore masks of Jerry, Pigpen, Phil, Bill, Mickey, Brent, Vince and Donna. If they were to ever get caught (doubtful) it would be either the person wearing the Bruce or TC mask.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Thanks for the heads up on SC-13e! I always love hearing about new guitar releases. Almost as much as dead releases. The dead releases are a little easier on the wallet. I lol'ed when i first started reading on the site and they say: "It's time to rethink the acoustic guitar" or something to that effect. They've been making the best acoustics for a long time now imo. My HD-28 is one of my prized possessions. But getting rid of the heel really is an innovation.

A little odd becasue one doesn't usually associate playing acoustics with playing way up the neck like that, and Martin is known specifically for their crisp low end and mid-range sound. But im sure they put in the time and effort to make sure it works and it sounds great. Enjoy it!

Me and a few friends were joking (at the requisite six feet of course) that there has never been a better time to rob a bank. You leave home with your mask on - do the job and you're back for tea all without ever losing the mask. No suspicions raised!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Jim, glad you tried the Jai-Alai. Even though I'm no hophead, I do enjoy that IPA. Ms. Brewer adores it! In fact, all I asked of her when I brought home twelve cans of it was that she save me two or three to enjoy while listening to DaP34. The cans kept disappearing to the point that I ended up HIDING the last two. I teased her about it at some point, and she said, "I thought you listened to that show long ago, so I figured the rest of the Jai-Alai IPA was MINE!"

She thought the Jai-Alai was part of the E72 beer stash, and once I finished my run-through of The Box, she started drinking whatever lay about.

Ledded, if you're coming through Saint Paul, let's have a socially-distant beer on a brewery patio, eh? There is a day of socially-distanced, live Dylan/Dead/hippie music at Utepils this Saturday. DeadVikes, you going?

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Was this a shocking event or a not unexpected sighting? I am asking because I am curious as to how lockdowns etc are affecting wildlife. My neighborhood is increasingly populated by raccoons and coyotes. I was shocked when I ran into a raccoon on my second floor balcony and he seemed more shocked than me. My Nextdoor app has photos every day of coyotes in brazen proximity to people. I really like it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

now it's July, and my girlfriend cries: Where's DaP 34???
Anybody else missing it in Europe?
Gerd

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html