• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

I wasn't seeing the Dead to much in the 90s, maybe two or three times a year, but this show they really nailed it. My brother and I were down in the 3rd row and when they did Promised Land out of Dark Star, I turned around and looked back up the hill at Shoreline Ampithetre and that whole place was absolutely rocking and ready to blow, it was very cool. This show could be a Dave's pick easily.

user picture

Member for

8 years

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoy6yYaytVg
Love it! This is a pretty grateful song for Father’s Day!
A grateful “father s day” to all you grateful dads here! Wishing you all a grateful day filled with lots of love and laughter God bless,peace be with you all!
🙏❤️💀🌹
*PS: lol funny thing, where I live right now has No Basement! Ha ha just a garage; which is mine! All mine!!! Lol ....ciao’

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

LMG what record store did you buy DaP 2 at? I own a record store and I'm always looking for rare CDs at good prices, especially in bulk. Did it include the bonus disc? Also let me know if you are selling your E72 set.

Top 10 sounds interesting. If I exclude the big ones that are typically joined together in a medley like Dark Star > Saint Stephen > The Eleven, mine are

Uncle John's Band
Sugar Magnolia
Jack Straw
Foolish Heart
Touch of Grey
Loose Lucy (played 1973 style, slow groove)
Brown-Eyed Women
Black-Throated Wind (favorite Bobby song)
Midnight Hour

Now that I've written it it doesn't even make sense. I have 10 more there could easily take their place. You just can't do it.
I'm an old-timer, but I included some of their later songs that are truly great. A lot of Deadheads felt a huge fan payoff when the last two albums were released.
There was some serious fan enthusiasm for these records after Jerry's coma, and they did not disappoint. They were stacked with great songs. I remember before In The Dark came out there was a common attitude in the press that it was going to be a flop like they considered Go To Heaven, and that the songs might get a play or two at the beginning of the tour.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 7 months

Wow, CD preorder is sold out already?

user picture

Member for

8 years

In reply to by dreading

... hello brother, unfortunately the Dave’s Picks #2, I just got didn’t come with the Bonus Disc. But Ian grateful for the find! It’s also great that you own a record shop and for at least 25 years now! That is Very impressive in my book.Right On my man! Record shops are like a Butcher Shops, very rare! Lol Where are you located and name? I used to own a record shop myself. Sadly I had to close shop down many years ago during the Bush Addminastration and one of the biggest financial crisis the Country experienced at that time. I remember it like it was yesterday. I had a many grateful moments during those years! I also sold off my Apple stocks and purchased my family’s beach home on Long Beach Island, NJ a very small island off the coast of New Jersey, beautiful in every way! I don’t think I am allowed to post the name of the record shop, I don’t want to get them in any trouble , I’m not sure if they’re really allowed to be open yet due to the devastating virus crisis our precious little world is experiencing right now. It’s really causing & costing a lot of people their jobs, homes and any or if not all any assets one might have and most importantly their lives! So sad.
🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

The Princeton Record Exchange (in Princeton, NJ), very nice. Haven't been there since we left Jersey, but used to go a lot.

Down in Dallas, we have Good Records, been there for YEARS.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In early May I was too busy with my inaugural E72 run-through to listen to this DaP when it came out. So today, complete with Jai-Alai Pale Ale in hand, I will break out the bonus disc on its anniversary. Then tomorrow it's on to the full show, which I've never heard; from what you all have reported, it sounds like I'm going to have a real good time!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Listening to this show now. I love how forward in the mix bobby is. This show sounds great and I wonder if they could do a matrix with healy's tapes and this aud for a nice Dave's pick. The Fox show from '80 sounds amazing. I wonder why they haven't tried that again. This show would be a great candidate since sound quality issues hold back so many of the '80s shows.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

After 55 days in transatlantic limbo my DaP 34 has finally arrived to my place in northern Sweden. On June 23th, same date as the show! I take that as a good sign.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

Oops

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

I came home from a Dead concert up in Oakland back in the early eighties and I had dosed. I got into bed and put on some headphones and put on Anthem of The Sun and I could hear the color purple, right after Cryptical, it was very cool. Anthem of the Sun , Workingman's Dead, and The best of Muddy Waters, my three favorite recordings of all time.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

...well you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be
All right, all right, all right
You say you got a real solution
Well, you know
We'd all love to see the plan
You ask me for a contribution
Well, you know
We're all doing what we can
But if you want money for people with minds that hate
All I can tell you is brother you'll have to wait
All right, all right, all right
You say you'll change the constitution
Well, you know
We all want to change your head
You tell me it's the institution
Well, you know
You better free your mind instead
But if you go carrying pictures of chairman Mao
You ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow
All right, all right, all right...

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

If you line up

Road Trips Vol 2 No 3 >
Dave’s Picks Vol 34 >
Dick’s Picks Vol 12

...you get five Wall of Sound shows (two or three are complete) over a period of ten days on 8 CDs. DIY Box set!

So the Pacific Northwest shows that came just before...are those Wall of Sound, too?

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

“Until the philosophy
Which hold one race superior and another
Inferior
Is finally
And permanently
Discredited
And abandoned
Everywhere is war
Me say war
That until there no longer
First class and second class citizens of any nation
Until the color of a man's skin
Is of no more significance than the color of his eyes
Me say war
That until the basic human rights
Are equally guaranteed to all
Without regard to race
Dis a war”

And so on

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

...may never change the way it's been
and all the ways of war can't change it back again
I've been out searching for the dolphins in the sea
And sometimes I wonder, do you ever think of me
I'm not the one to tell this world how to get along
I only know that peace will come when all hate is gone
I've been searching for the dolphins in the sea
And sometimes I wonder, do you ever think of me
You know sometimes I think about Saturday's child
and all about the time when we were running wild
I've been searching for the dolphins in the sea
and sometimes I wonder, do you ever think of me
This old world may never change...

Don't listen to me, let Fred tell you, you won't regret hearing it https://youtu.be/KoI2-JK4ZvI
Colin, the problem that I see is that once the war starts it's hard to say where it will end, but the smart money is on pain, misery, inhumanity and despair accompanied by the loss of innocent life. Buy the ticket take the ride.

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

I just laugh it off anymore. Sick pooch.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by LedDed

A new CM remaster making the rounds....

Grateful Dead - May 12, 1974
MacKay Stadium - Reno, NV

Set 1:
01 - Tuning
02 - Promised Land
03 - Sugaree
04 - Mexicali Blues
05 - Tennessee Jed
06 - Jack Straw
07 - Brown Eyed Women
08 - Beat It On Down The Line
09 - China Cat Sunflower >
10 - I Know You Rider
11 - El Paso
12 - U.S. Blues
13 - Greatest Story Ever Told
14 - Must Have Been The Roses
15 - Me And Bobby McGee
16 - Deal

Set 2:
17 - Tico Tico
18 - Around And Around
19 - Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo
20 - Truckin' >
21 - The Other One >
22 - Mind Left Body Jam >
23 - Row Jimmy
24 - Big River
25 - Ship Of Fools
26 - Sugar Magnolia

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Haile Selaisse wasn't threatening war in his speech, he was arguing that perpetual war was the inevitable result of the continued existence of racism. Sure having a plan for what's next is great, but history comes at unexpected moments, and from unexpected people. Some are destined for such times, Haile Selaisse was one of them. He stood up to Mussolini's invasion, and sought help that didn't come from the League of Nations. Almost 25 years later, he showed up to give a speech at the UN that was a warning that the racist oppression that had held Africa captive for 400 years was coming to an end, and that the racism must be reckoned with; if it is not faced and obliterated, everywhere will be war. America's Original Sin, as termed by Thomas Jefferson, was slavery, and slavery must exist upon the most insidious racism in which one believes another human to be less than to the point they cannot walk free, and are mere dumb brutes to perform hard labors forever and without recompense. In the Twentieth Century, tens of millions died in World War II, which was a race war, with the Japanese believing themselves superior to the Koreans and Chinese and other Asian peoples, much less the whites of the West; and of course Hitler's need for "lebensraum" (living space) for Aryans meant the destruction of "subhumans". Germany, Japan, and South Africa are some of the least likely countries to repeat their great racist mistakes, because they have at least tried to come to terms with that history, where America has steadfastly refused to face its Original Sin except for those five bloody years, and even now many try to argue that war wasn't rooted in slavery, which only goes to underline the point of America's unwillingness to grapple with its problems. At least we have the opportunity to help change our society at the ballot box. But we have that thanks to a revolution that was not well thought out.

user picture

Member for

8 years

Beautifully mix /master’s performance on my Youngest daughters birthday, she loves the Grateful Dead . I named her , Delilah!
She just turned 9 years old. I’m going to play her this for her when she wakes up this morning! Thank you for sharing my brother! Your very kind, have a grateful day, peace be with you! 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

8 years

... there’s an excellent record store in Hoboken New Jersey! https://tunesonline.net/
I know the owners , cool couple of cats I must say! A grateful crew indeed!
🙏😎💀🌹

user picture

Member for

8 years

I just happen to pull out 6/24/73 out of the box to listen to some dead this morning, strange days Indeed!
Also listened to the dead’s newest cd release, “Ready Or Not” . I Really enjoy this release and the sound, ‘Primo’ Quality audio wise it’s just phenomenal it’s just so sweet sounding; takes me right back down by the river...💀🌹

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

Terry Riley-You’re No Good
Freddie Hubbard-In Concert Vol. 2
MJQ-Plastic Dreams
Jefferson Airplane-We Have Ignition
John Zorn-Virtue

C’mon WD 50th!! I need you!!

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

Good afternoon everyone! Extremely sunny here in Philadelphia. What's everyone thinking the next Dave's Picks will be? I'd personally love a show from 69 or 71. What are your wishes??

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I'm going with 4-21-78 Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY :-)

Potent show from the 80s

Next Daves? I predict..............

Something from GD84

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

11-29-80 - Alligator Alley

user picture

Member for

6 years

Two sides of the moon
Shit album but spawned the line “ spits a bit but she’s gig a heart of gold “

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

In reply to by TimC722

Well, we've had at least one Brent/Pig show for every year of the Dave's series except the first one (all Keith and/or Donna only). Some years have had two. So far this year we have a '77 and a '74. No Brent or Pig yet. So my bet would be one or the other here, especially if it is going to be Brent. Dave has never gone beyond 1983 in any release for this series. So far, it has roughly been, 1 Pig show every year (7/8), and one Brent ever other year (4/8). This is year 9.

Brent Dave's = 4. DaP#8 11/30/80; DaP#20 12/9/81; DaP#27 9/2/83; DaP#31 12/3/79.

Pig Dave's = 7. DaP#6 12/20/69 (with TC), 2/2/70; DaP#10 12/12/69; DaP#14 3/26/72 (with K&D), DaP#19 1/23/70 (with TC); DaP#22 12/7/71 (with Keith); DaP#26 11/17/71 (with Keith); DaP#30 1/2/70 (with TC).

I think we get a Pig and a Brent this year (or maybe even a Bruce/Vince), and this one will be the '79/'80's/'90s show. I will go Melk Weg Hash Bar, 10/16/81. Plus some filler.

user picture

Member for

11 years 7 months

Unwilling. As we all did.

Last show was 25 years ago today. A fun ride from 82-95.

Top 5 shows:

10/12/84
12/30/86
9/18/87
11/8/85
11/7/85

A few summer 85 shows would have made the list, 6/27 and 6/30, but I really prefer the indoor shows.

user picture

Member for

4 years 5 months

7/13/76 Orpheum Theatre, 9/11/81 Greek Theatre, 10/9/82 Frost Ampitheatre, 12/28/83 S.F. Civic, and 7/13/84 Greek Theatre. I feel all these shows could be stand alone releases or could be put along side other shows to form nice box sets.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 3 months

In the end got my JAI-ALAI FRONTON 1974 copy, but not without paying quite a sum because of the incorrect label saying "value 30.00 $". Nevertheless somewhat glad. What about you gratefulgerd?

user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

You guys are making me jealous!

Just kidding, keep going :-)

P.S. Good job on the educated guesses Jason Wilder.

P.S.S. Slow Dog Noodle...Re: Next DaP guesses: W.A.G. means only ONE thing you know...hehee :-)

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by billy the kid

09-16-67 Elysian Park - Free gig with the Airplane...the two had played the Hollywood Bowl the night before and
basically both bands were upset no one was allowed to dance so they did this freebie...the weekend before my Senior Year in HS

05-21-82 The Greek - My first weekend at the Greek...somewhat of a short show but the jam from Space into The
Wheel was just a thing of beauty the way the band fluttered into The Wheel

02-26-77 The Swing Auditorium - no explanation needed

12-12-81 The Swing Auditorium - The first show after John Lennon was killed...I've always thought how much of a catharsis this show was for all who attended

08-05-71 The Hollywood Palladium - Pig Power!!!

ask me tomorrow and it will slightly different...I think we need to have a top five "Mulit-dates run" as well...Ventura, The Greek, Alpine, Red Rocks etc....be safe be healthy folks...

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

It got me reading some history.

I won't go for a Top Five Attended; my list would look sad compared to all yours. The best show I attended was my first, and musically, it really was the best of my 23 shows. 6/24/91, which I honestly believe could be released, hopefully as a Summer 1991 mini-box. They used to play that show fairly often on the Sirius/XM GD Channel, so who knows?

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html