• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Good question, how this might be commemorated. If I've got it right, Dark Star and St Stephen come form 2/27/69, The Eleven and Lovelight come from 1/26/69 and Death and Feedback come form 3/2/69.

The 2/27 - 2/3 Fillmore West shows were swept up in that (ludicrously) limited edition box set released in 2005, and seem to be being released on an individual basis, annually on vinyl. So I can't see any of this material being re-released as part of a Live Dead release. We also had that disappointing bonus cd with Aoxomoxoa earlier this year, which was a selection of random tracks from January 1969, including two from 1/26.

So, to me, it looks unlikely that there will be anything released to commemorate its 50th Anniversary. Which would be a shame, it being one of the (if not THE) greatest live albums of all time.

....did I read somewhere that their only reissuing the studio albums, or is this just another senior moment?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Here’s a Breakdown of Dave’s Picks
Year: Total # of Releases/ How many other Releases since last for this year ../that Release.#
69: 2 / 21 / #10
80: 1 / 23 / #8
74: 4 / 14 / #17
81: 1 / 11 / #20
73: 3 / 10 / #21
78: 3 / 8 / #23
72: 3 / 7 / #24
71: 3 / 5 / #26
83: 1 / 4 / #27
76: 3 / 3 / #28
77: 4 / 2 / #29
70: 2 / 1 / #30

Looks like 69 is way overdue, followed by 80; what about Gainesville?, been a while for 74 (though that year is tied with 77 for most releases,) with 81 and 73 close behind.....hmmm 12/18/73 with some leftovers from 19 perhaps? Maybe that 7/25/74 DS thatDaves been playing? But 69 is definitely overdue!

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

What am I doin' here?

Please Mr. Dave, I don't wanna bitch
Hey, Mr. Dave, please don't make me go
I had a dream last night about number 32
Somebody yelled 69, 69
And there I stood with another Feedback attack

Please Mr. Dave, I don't wanna bitch
But there’s only two shows left in 75
So why don’t you release them before I die!

I wonder what the deadhead word for 75 is?
Let's see 75, 75, that's it
Release the fuckin’ things, I can’t wait no more!
I mean hell 3/23 is only 6 songs!
Put that with 6/17 and you got a Dave’s
Heh, heh, heh
Nah, this ain't no time for Jokin’

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by reijo29

an 85 show/coupla shows (6/30/85 + 7/1/85, zum beispiel)

listening to 6/25/85 Playin' at the moment...Summer 85....yum

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Dennis

It would be a plus if 3/23/75 did get an official release, short though it is. Very unusual set list to say the least.

I got the Creedence Clearwater Revival set at Woodstock yesterday. Highly recommended. Short tight rockers leading to incendiary "I've Put A Spell On You" and various jammed out tracks to finish with. Never a dull moment.

Probably needs to be saved for the Blues For Allah 50th Bonus Disc.

Any reports on the sound quality of the Woodstock Box?
I’ve been listening to the complete FLAC version from the link that was posted here last summer and the sound quality is all over the place, even changes mid song, and it so far applies to GD, Who, CCR, Janis, Airplane. I assume that the Box probably sounds pretty good.

DaP32?
I have no clue.
Hopefully it’s an awesome show with excellent sound quality.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

3/23/75 is on the Beyond Description bonus disc. It doesn't have the encore of Johnny B. Goode encore but as it has been said, it is a short show. The whole show minus the encore is contained as a single track on the bonus disc and I have to say I really enjoy it. There are some unique jams which are likely influenced by the setlist. Unfortunately, 6/17/75 is not in the vault as per Dave L., so that is not likely going to be released anytime soon.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

.....might not actually be a joke at all.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/08/20/storm-area-51-event-push…
....I should go and sell grill cheese sandwiches and Sam Adams if I was smart. 😉
The 30 day countdown has begun....
https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2019/08/06/storm-area-51-raid-facebook-d…

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by Gollum

That was taken from the 9/17/87 show, their day off from the Garden run that week. Bobby does a 'Parlor Trick' where a few people from the show lift Garcia using just two fingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aAgfk2iX7Y

The next night, 9/18.. Bobby opens the show with a mimic of the Rocky and Bullwinkle show saying, in his best moose and squirrel voice.. "HEY ROCKY, WATCH ME LEVITATE GARCIA" (then in his best squirrel, "that trick never works" as they kick off one of the best shows of the year.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Thanks Jim, I didn't realize it was just before that great MSG show. I just started listening to that one recently, coincidentally.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Gratefulhan

I never knew it had been released already as part of Beyond Description. I had to look up what Beyond Description was, actually. I hesitated over buying it whenever it came out, and then forgot about it. Had I known about this bonus disc, I might have shelled out. Oh well-saved me some money!

Another interesting thing about the show is that it features both Merl Saunders and Ned Lagin on keyboards, which adds a very different flavour.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

Interesting discussion regarding this short/sweet 75 show. As soon as I read this I went and dug out my Beyond Description Box and sure enough, there was the bonus disc hiding away unknowingly for how long...a decade? I've popped that sucker in and am chilling to the WRS opener. I don't recall ever having listed to the '75 piece, so now I'm intrigued.

Always a stone to turn over on these boards and find a gem. Thanks All.

Sixtus

P.S. Daverock - check your PM

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Never knew about the bonus disc,,, I also hauled down my copy of Beyond Description,,, not there :-(

Can anyone out there tighten me up?

Hard to believe 6/17 isn't in the vault,,, my copy sounds pretty damn good.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I thought everyone knew about the Beyond Description bonus disc. The WRS prelude features the best vocals I've heard Bobby sing on this piece. It's from the October '74 Winterland run, but not the version that ended up on the movie soundtrack.

IMHO The Blues For Allah is much better than One From The Vault. The keyboards are stunning. The sound is great - I actually emailed Lemieux a couple of years ago to see if this was a multi-track recording. He said it's not, but it is that good that I couldn't tell.

Showboat features Keith on vocals with Donna; Jerry plays on it. Not a fantastic composition, but an interesting listen to hear Keith sing. He doesn't sound bad at all, augmented by Donna, but I'm thinking it probably demonstrates the limit of his vocal range.

Uncle Gary gave me that one. Everyone should have an Uncle Gary. Friend, mentor, DeadHead, good person.

Oh - what I came on here for - one of my most distinct memories of the 11th from last show in 1995 at the Knickerbocker Arena was all of the twirlers on the concourse. I suppose they were all trippin. At the time I thought it was odd that they we're not inside the doorway of the Arena area to hear the sound better. Yet there they were, hundreds of them around the entire circumference of the concourse of the arena. My question - does anyone know when this behavior started at Grateful Dead concerts? 70s? 80's? 90's? I saw them at JFK in 89, but there was no concourse to speak of that I was anywhere near.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Those were the Spinners.....who thought JG was God, and would start to hallucinate after spinning so much. They preferred the concourses so they could congregate and have more room etc, and of course eventually the band started putting speakers out there. Not sure when/where that all started? I think I recall seeing them in the early eighties, but
A) my memory is always suspect, and
B) early on I probably was clueless, and
C) we usually went up front early on so didn’t get out in the halls much..
That is a great question though!

Perhaps my favorite WRS Prelude. It's a keeper. I used to have that disc in my CD alarm clock back when I was flying coast to coast every week.. waking up at 4:00 am every Monday. It had a soothing way of brining me out of my needed slumber without shock and awe, as in awe shucks it sucks to wake up at 4 am.

It's a classic.

Hope everyone (in the Northern Hemisphere at least) is taking good advantage of the end of summer.. the days are getting shorter and the leaves are starting to turn here in the mountains for the weaker or sickly trees.. a sure sign that summer is short and fall is on its way. Which dovetails nicely into WRS, Darkness falls and seasons change... Did I ever mention I really like top shelf 1974 Grateful Dead? There's something for all seasons.. I think I will play some.

One other tidbit I did not know. I was driving home from a back to school thing last night at 7 when TIGDH came on and Lemieux played parts of 8/21/68 Winterland. Apparently, this whole run was recorded on 1" 8-track tapes.. so the whole run was recorded in multi-track similar to Two From The Vault. I did not know that. Honestly, what I heard (at least initially) was not quite as compelling as 2/14/68 and TFTV (both recorded on 1" 8 Track, and both slack-jawed stunners), but still it was a holy shit moment.. like holy shit these shows have to get the Full-Norman, Plangent treatment and get released.. now.

Not if but when, they have to get released.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Hey ICECRMCNKD, You were probably referring to the link I posted last year to Woodstock Project’s “Woodstock Complete”. WS Complete is a very cool bit of sonic archeology by a handful of hardworking members. They’ve been unearthing audio from 1969’s 3-day festival since at least the ‘90s. Its skeleton is comprised of official releases beginning with the original WS Soundtrack, WS2 and subsequent official releases by individual artists, plus the 25th & 40th anniversary collections. Then, for any performances/tracks without official releases, audience recordings of varying sound quality have been inserted (sound familiar? SBDs vs AUDs). It doesn’t stop there – stage announcements, TV & radio reports/interviews, pre-festival radio ads, etc., etc. are all part of Woodstock Complete, and yes there’s sometimes an unavoidable discontinuity in sound quality. There are some pretty cool gems preserved in Woodstock Complete which is updated every few years with new (re)discoveries. It’s uncertain how the recent box will affect its future, but the most recent WS Complete ’16 still includes a lot of amazing historic artifacts that dovetail nicely with the WS 50 Box.

The just released WS 50 Box (38CD Woodstock - Back To The Garden: The Definitive 50th Anniversary Archive) that Rhino released this month is a whole ‘nuther animal. Here’s what I’ve gleaned from looking over several shoulders. To begin with, the idea of releasing ALL of the official multi-track stage recordings has heretofore been understood to be an impossible dream. Altho owners of the tapes (Atlantic/Cotillion at the start – now WMG/Rhino) have always owned the multi-tracks, they still need approval from each of the artists (or their reps or executors) to release their individual WS performance. Just one holdout would scuttle any en masse release of the tapes.

Brian Kehew, who remixed every performance for this box (except for the Hendrix set which includes the Kramer mixes), put it this way on Steve Hoffman: “One of the tenets of getting this many parties to agree to a release was the LOW number of complete boxes being made, a very limited number just for the 50th, no more - and NO downloads or streaming rights at all. I'm not privy to their discussions, but as Mr. [Andy] Zax has most-subtly hinted at over and over here: This is not coming out again, in a reduced or easier form. A small team at Rhino fought and fought to keep this on course, as they knew it deserved to happen. It wasn't easy, fun or even rewarding.”

ICECRMCNKD, back to your question about sound quality: Zax, Kehew and the Rhino team have produced noticeably improved sound using technology that was not available even for the 40 anniversary release (Polyphonic Tuning for instance). Andy Zax (again, on Hoffman): “Everything was completely remastered from scratch for 2019. The 2009 box was the best we could do at the time—it suffers from the fact that I was forced to include a number of non-Brian Kehew mixes that I don’t like; that we were unable to include three of the artists; and that I was obliged to use the Fillmore versions of “Sea Of Madness” and “Wooden Ships”. All of the audio has been extensively reworked to my satisfaction since then.”

The Dead’s set is actually pretty good and the Dark Star seems to be a lot better than Jerry remembered. Lovelight’s still a train wreck, but then the Dead was somehow playing while being slowly electrocuted and forgot "when" they were.

I can only wonder whether the team that pulled off this box isn’t (unofficially) OK about their historic, definitive release of ALL Woodstock official stage recordings now being available as a bootleg download for free. Kinda appropriate considering how tickets for the original Woodstock worked out. . .

back in college days (82-86) i had a tape of 3/23/75

during a visit to Lysergia, i experienced that tape.

:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

That's a good descriptor and this would have been a cool show for said destination. After my morning listen (twice) I found the '75 excerpt from the Bonus Disc to illicit multiple feelings/reactions: this having been only one of very few '75 performances, it must have been a 'WTF' moment when they started playing Blues for Allah - it just sounds SO DIFFERENT than anything they had done before (or ever did after, for that matter). With the Mid-Eastern vibe it seethes with mystery and then it gets into a magnificent meltdown that eventually opens up into the groove of King Solomon's - definitely the highlight in there. It covers a lot of ground in the 31 minutes or so, but again the 'feeling' of this performance is entirely unique.

Good call on the callback here.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I remember reading about them.

One twirl and I am DONE. How can you spin continuously without vomiting severely? Especially if you are in Lysergia?

Jerry, God? He himself said something to the effect, "I am no god; just ask my children."

That applies to all of us, come to think of it.

My dog, on the other hand, thinks I am pretty cool.

"Arf", she says.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

great singing group from the 70s

rubberband man
games people play

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

please consider an 85 release.

the naysayers will say "nay", but I say, "GD85!!!"

6/27/85, for example.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

I looked at my ‘Beyond Description’ box and there was no mention of a bonus disc, but then I checked where I have the discs stored separately and there it was! I must give it a spin.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

If I tried that I'd probably end going through the window !

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

....I remember seeing them at my first show in April '86, so at least since then. I recall thinking, "whoa! I've never seen that before." Prior than that, I went to heavy metal/punk shows, so all I knew was headbanging and mosh pits.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

What did I call them, twirlers? heh. Thanks for the feedback guys, I was just curious. My cousin and I were thinking about going to see Dead and Co again (we were rained out of the second set about 20 minutes in at Camden last year). This brought back memories of our Albany days (his really, I just visited with some frequency). We saw them 11 to the end for our good guy Jerry. I remember thinking they were f***king awesome that night. I was only marginally familiar with them in those days, but I was a big time concert goer, and I had no insight into any health or performance issues with Jerry (and after all, this was pretty much pre-internet).

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I used to be the "ticket master". From around 1990 to maybe 2000, maybe a little bit longer, I would call Ticketmaster on multiple phones (2 or 3) 20 - 25 minutes before the typical 10am ON SALE time. I would typically be put on hold for anywhere between 5-15 minutes. If you called too close to 10am you would get a busy signal, and you were basically f***ked. The key was to get off of the hold music and on with a real operator around 9:45 - 9:50am. At that point, I would start asking about ticket availability for other shows that were already on sale. "yeah, how much for 2 first level tickets for Neil Diamond". They would look it up and we'd talk about it; that would kill 5 minutes. "no I don't think so, I'll pass on those. What about the Black Crowes?" And it took forever for them to do their computer lookups back then. Then around 9:55 I would casually ask, "anything going on sale today? Rush? yeah I've heard they're pretty good (this was my target band of course). "oh they don't go on sale for 5 minutes? well do you have any promotions you can tell me about until then?" And it worked every time. 2nd row on the Test For Echo Tour, right in front of Alex Lifeson was the best I did. 2112 in its entirety for the first time ever. Natural Science for the first time since Permanent Waves. The first of the two set Rush tours. Anyway, this method never failed to get me within 10 rows of the band.

I don't even understand the system now. I guess people can sell their tickets like eBay on stub hub? Is that what's going on? I was just checking out Dead and Co pricing and there's a pair for $4500 each. wtf happened to scalping laws? I know they existed because Rodge got busted scalping Doobie Brothers tickets. Or wait.....was it Rerun got caught recording the show with a big-ass cassette player. Oh now I remember. Scalping episode was Stevie Wonder.

Anyone know the face value of a Dead & Co ticket?

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

beyond, beyond insane.

laughable.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Thanks for the info.

I’m surprised that the Woodstock Box was limited to 1969 copies. That would make sense for a Box that had bonus material, but not the sole release. I suspect that they probably could have sold more copies had they been available.

I also suspect that all of the artists agreed to the release due to the 50-year copyright law in Europe.
I think that a reissue gets you another 50 years.

But, that law is causing a lot of Box Sets to get released - Dylan, Floyd to name two, and I think that Led Zep May have put something out.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Truckin' Up to Buffalo

kinda hit and miss

great Morning Dew and US Blues and Deal

a bit reserved all around

not the hottest show ever, but it's all part of the long, strange trip

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Captain Beefheart
Safe As Milk

"you want 'er you want 'er
adapter adapter"

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

My 2nd show was DaP2, July 31, 1974 at the old Dillon Stadium in Hartford and there were spinners there at the back of the field.

Rock on

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by hbob1995

GOGD - Portland 5.19.74
TOOL - jumping around their catalogue, seeing as how they finally decided to release it online. Pretty impressive stuff by them. I likey
Donna The Buffalo - Wait Til Spring
Blue Oyster Cult - Imaginos
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I do like lists....so here's my last 5

Dead - Great American Music Hall 8/13/75-inspired by all this talk of 3/23/75. Sounds good on vinyl
Ween - Chocolate and Cheese--a great new discovery for me, thanks to KCJ
Hawkwind - Dark Matter
Nico - Marble Index
Jimi Hendrix Experience - San Diego 5/24/69-2nd disc in the "Truth and Emotion " cd set.

Imaginos by Blue Oyster Cult....must dig that one out!

user picture

Member for

7 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

5/11/77- St. Paul Civic Center. Fantastic show.
Dave's 11. 11/17/72. Box of Rain bonus.
10/21/83- 30 Trips. Always interesting to hear early Touch of Gray.
5/28/77- To Terrapin. Been hitting a lot of 77 lately.
3/25/90. Always loved Wang Dang Doddle and this one is one of my favorites.
Enjoy the weekend everyone!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

It's not just spinning around. It's an energy flow in the music it flows up and down and around. Its transcendent that is why you don't get dizzy.

The faster we go the rounder we get.

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Hey now, I'm starting my third run listening to Spring 1990 chronologically, and I got to the second show, 3/15/90 and realized that was the limited Terrapin Station CD release originally intended to raise funds for their TS museum.
Anyway, I'm wondering, dead trivia fans, since Spring 1990 was based on the two track recordings, and Spring 1990 TOO was based on 24 track recordings, does anyone know about this release, and which recordings Terrapin Station derived from?
I loved the MUATM, that was a fun show with lots of great energy between Jerry and Bruce. I went to the Daly City showing and the theater was packed! I figured there was about 100 heads there.
I am so looking forward to this new box. 87, 89, 91- this was another peak time for the Dead, when they had their sound much fuller and richer than in earlier years. Don't get me wrong, I love all the years.
Once again, thanks for all the great conversation and tips, I don't post too much but I love visiting here and reading the discussions.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

11/10/67 popped up out of order on the USB, but went with it, because it's simply one of the best GD releases.
4/15/70 this time listened from Man's World to the end, and forgot how insanely good that Dancing in the Streets is.
DaP 30 and bonus 1/2-3/70, this was a fantastic Pick. Recording is odd, the 1/3 material, particularly the Late Show stuff sounds better than the rest.
Jimi Hendrix New Rays of the Rising Sun, first listen in several years to the first big release of Hendrix material by the family when they got the rights from Mike Jeffrey and Alan Douglas. Mixed by Eddie Kramer, sounds really good. I blame the Woodstock anniversary for that quick rabbit hole spelunking.
String Cheese Incident 7/5/19 Fox Theatre, Atlanta

user picture

Member for

13 years 6 months

Ed Perlstein will be interviewing Jeffrey Norman tonight on his "Live Archive" radio show on KPCA FM local Petaluma radio, streamable on www.kpca.fm. They will talk about what his mastering work entails, and play some music he's recently worked on.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Speaking as Led Ded, that JRAD cover of Immigrant Song is horrible... I guess it's the thought that counts.

\m/

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Beatles - Sgt. Peppers (spinning now), always a classic.
Roxy Music - Avalon, sounds like the '80s
Atlantic 100 Soul Classics - Disc 3, dig that Ben E. King What is Soul, King Floyd Groove Me, and the Don Covay Everything I Do Goin' Be Funky. Indeed, Don. Also a bunch of great Aretha Franklin on that disc.
GD - DaP 30 1/2/70 & 1/3/70 Fillmore East, definitely a nice Dark Star.
GD - 30 Trips 9/24/72 Waterbury CT, another cool Dark Star, I dig this show, who wouldn't like a show with a Birdsong and a Dark Star.

Today's dead.net email indicated that all but 1000 of the Blu-ray editions of this box are sold, no indication about the number of DVD sets sold. Just the Blu-ray sales alone are half of the total number of boxes. It will be interesting to see how fast this sells out. Personally, after listening to the listening party with the '87 West LA Fadeway, my anticipation level increased significantly, and I was already looking forward to this box. Given the multi-track sources, I have to think the sound on this will be spectacular.

Speaking of spectacular, Alvarhanso's statement about the high quality Dancin' from 4/15/70 being insanely good is spot on, I listened to that recently, and yes, that Dancin' is spectacular. And now that I have said spectacular so many times, all I can only think of Terri Hatcher on that episode of Seinfeld. "They're real, and they're spectacular."

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Since these were download release shows only, I don't understand why there isn't an option to purchase these shows on this website. I would like to get the FLAC version of this show. Or maybe they could at least put these shows up on Spotify or something...can't get enough...

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html