• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years

In reply to by Lovemygirl

Hey Lovemygirl, have you seen it... are we getting a large, medium or small box? The larger the boxset the more money those greedy UPS people will try to extract from the people that are interested with this.

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

In reply to by RobbZ

As you're trying to determine the best course of action regarding the 30 Trips shows. Add up how much it will cost you individually including shipping in trying to acquire shows on your list. If you come close to the 30TATS AME, go for the AME. Sell off any shows you you don't want. I was debating the same thing with Europe 72 shows. I had a list running from shout outs people had on the board and then after thinking about the shipping charges of getting one or two at a whack I realized it was cheaper to go huge. I don't regret it. The only pain point was that I purchased it the same summer as the 30TATS box release.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I've been listening to Oczy Mlody again today, can't get enough of that spoken outro in There Should Be Unicorns...
"There should be unicorns. The ones with the purple eyes, not the ones with the green eyes. Whatever they give them, they shit everywhere. And it would be great if the moon was almost down. Like in a very red/orange state. Let's leave it like that for at least three hours, hovering just above the horizon. And if the police show up, we will give them so much money that they can retire from their shitty, violent jobs and live the greatest life they've ever lived. And we will be high, and the love generator will be turned up to its maximum. And we'll get higher, when at last the sun comes up in the morning and we will collapse under the weight of the ancient earth. And it will be inside me and inside you. And it will be the end of the world and the beginning of a new love."
Yeah, something about the Flaming Lips clicks for me.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....that you have, the most beautiful face.
https://youtu.be/lPXWt2ESxVY
That's Fremont Street in Vegas. Oh yeah.
The Lips covered Dark Star on the Day of the Dead complication box set that was released a few years ago. No YouTube link that I can find. Look it up. After a quick smoke....

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

WEEN & Flaming Lips tour...
or collaboration of some fucked up sort.
;O)
modern psychedelia?...
this might be what your kids are listening to after they've pinched your stash...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 8 months

The new and improved Frost Ampitheater. My fave of the local Bay Area Dead venues of days of yore.

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/music/return-of-the-deadheads-to-stanf…

Some nice pics of the theater, and a bonus blurry number of Wavy Gravy in tie dye in a background shot.

Oh, and got my tickets for Billy Strings in September, but it's not at the Frost unfortunately.

Hey.. very nice article, Frosted. Thanks for posting.

I heard about Russo playing there earlier this summer. I've been itching to get to NCal for some time and pondered a dual purpose trip, but it wasn't to be. Still.. the Frost has always been on my list of venues I wish I had visited and this made for a nice read.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Captain Trips brought his band to play
(Sung to the Sgt Peppers tune)

Tomorrow might be a good time to watch the Woodstock Movie Directors Cut BluRay. I also have the Jimi and Who official releases, and GD video somewhere. It could be a long weekend on the couch, better stock up on beer.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

"Good morning people!"
Grace Slick 8/17/69

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Peter Fonda has passed away. Easy Rider was the movie that got me into grass and the counterculture. I had tried weed that summer for the first time and was really psyched to go see the movie. Back then, movies had ratings and they would not let you into the movie if you were underage. Easy rider had an "R" rating and me being only 16, I could not get in without a fake id. I borrowed a friends draft card and got into the movie when it first came out. I guess you can say that Peter Fonda taught me how to smoke weed, and was part of what got me into psychedelics. Tried my first hits that summer also, I did not know it at the time, but it was Purple Haze. Only did a little bit and it changed my life. I will never forget the faces in the trees that night as the wind blew the tree limbs around. Rest in peace Peter, you will always be a part of my life.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by lebowski99

....never really paid attention to them until a reminder from this board. Checked out some of their back catalogue. Not bad. Not bad at all. I shuffled them on a playlist with Donna The Buffalo. Another band I recently discovered. Ying, meet yang. Made for an interesting musical voyage.
Easy Rider.....love the movie. Despise the ending. First time I saw it, I was all "WTF?!? Really? I got invested in these characters, and then this?!" A classic.
.....and yes. Groovy is a word that is overdue for a rebirth.
Sidenote. Was watching Avengers Endgame last night with the family. Our two dogs were also in the living room.....
****Spoiler alert****
My wife had never seen it. Neither had my dogs. Apparently, my female pit was watching closer that I thought. When Tony died, my wife went "Aww no!" My dog then let out a pretty loud whimper. She never whimpers unless I take my male somewhere w/o her.
Yeah, we get it Lucee, we get it.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by snafu

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Human nature doesn't change from generation to generation, humans are humans with the same grace and frailty that has existed since humans became human and which will continue as long as there are humans. Good and evil, freedom and oppression, saints and sinners, hate and love will continue to exist as opposing forces because it is the nature of humanity and of the universe. Choose wisely which path you take. All I really want to know is are you kind?

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

In reply to by snafu

So sad to see this site polluted by such deplorable human beings. I get it that sometimes bad people, Steve Bannon, for example, like good music, but this is hard to take. I left here for an extended period for this very reason. I guess it's time to move on for good.

user picture

Member for

4 years 8 months

How many vets did you go to school with and how many didn't come home.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Dick's Picks 28.

And if they're going to have fire hydrants for the catchya, they should at least have the front cover of Signals with the dalmatian.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

no Jane did not say that, Peter's wife did. What's so hilarious about Jane saying raise a glass to freedom, even if she did not say it? Jane Fonda was not a traitor, but a patriot who wanted to stop the war in Vietnam. Yes, a very nieve patriot, but still a patriot. If you believe that Jane is a traitor, then what is the ass hole in charge right now? It was Nixon and his republican assholes who made up the entire story about the notes given to her by the captives and her handing them over to the enemy, this is not true. Nixon and his war mongering cronies hated Jane, hated hippies and hated the fact that they were losing the war and this was a perfect opportunity for them to discredit the hippy movement and Jane all at once. 3,000,000 (that's million) vietnamese killed by the bombing and Nixon and his war mongers still could not "win".
They made up this entire notion that Jane did this. Nixon wanted to nuke the entire area. I suggest that you read Janes autobiography and perhaps get it from the horses mouth, instead of coping and pasting the same old crap that you have heard all your lives from the far right. Lies are not magic words, they are lies. Yes, she did sit on the anti air craft gun, but she was tricked into that by the VC, and regrets it to this day. Besides, this story is about Peter, not Jane. What does Jane Fonda have to do with Peter, except that she was his older sister? To answer the question, I went to high school with a few guys who went to nam, really, not a lie. I doubt most of you were old enough to know anyone who went to nam, really. It's like the "I went to woodstock" story that a lot of people tell, not true, but makes them look good. Should have expected such a statement from the far right on this site, they love to tell lies. You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you ain't fooling me. Don't go devil, just cause there are ignorant deplorables who occasionally visit this site, it's mostly good stuff here.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I don't usually check out the Listening Party songs, but the sound on this West L.A. Fadeaway is righteous! Jerry's guitar is SCREAMING! (in a good way :)

The really cool theater I went to for MUATM had decent sound, but very little bass. I'm looking forward to running the video through some serious sound equipment, and then hearing all the Phil I missed at the theater . . .

Grateful to Dave, Rhino, and anyone who helps get this music out of the vault and into our souls.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I know that Oakland and Anaheim were released as View From the Vault 4 which are two track recordings but now I'm wondering if there are multi tracks from the tour in the vault. I know that they recorded the sets with Dylan that way for the live album but are all the Dead sets there as well?

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Yeah, my uncle was one the US Airmen that those antiaircraft guns were trying to kill, so excuse me if I view Hanoi Jane as a traitor for posing on them with a smile for a photo op for the Vietcong. If you want to view her as some naïve dumbass that got taken advantage of by the Vietcong knock yourself out. Tokyo Rose got prison for her propaganda efforts on behalf of the Japanese in WWII, Jane got a pass for her propaganda efforts on behalf of the Vietcong.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I'm fine with controversial, and contrarian, opinions. People with too thin skin bother me more. I grew up during Vietnam, born in 1968, but obviously didn't have the perspective of someone a bit older, who either went over or knew people who did at that time. I do know a few old guys who went over and got fucked up, at least one who came back with a habit. But he's adjusted and seems fine and productive now. Some of these guys will tell stories and some won't.

I was fascinated by the Ken Burns' Vietnam documentary on PBS. I also in many ways feel like my all-time favorite film, Apocalypse Now, is as true a piece of fiction as has ever been. Francis Ford Coppola recently trotted out yet another edit that he feels is the finest cut yet.

Sunday morning. Flew back late last night from the midwest and got drunk on the plane. I like drinking on flights. One can take several shooters of booze in their carry-on luggage, order a drink or two from the stewardess and then just pound them like mad. If one is so inclined. You can carry it on, but you're not supposed to pour your own, so be in stealth mode.

Woke up, cooked a pizza, had ginseng and coffee, and blasted Blues For Allah. Today is a great day.

\m/

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by LedDed

Before 9/11, when you could bring liquids through security, I carried beer all the time. A case of beer counted as your single carry-on. I was bringing microbrew back.
My friend would carry a 6-pack in a cooler and have the flight attendants open each can as needed. It was totally allowed as long as you didn’t open them yourself.

Watched the Woodstock Movie last night.
Saw the friend who was in line at the phones. Just as described by Hbob.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I've shared a bottle of wine on a plane, opened myself with a corkscrew. Again, before 9/11. I am pretty sure if you tried to get through TSA with a corkscrew today they will cavity search, then arrest, then cavity search again just for good measure.

I did enjoy Easy Rider.. it was a classic. I agree, they could have written a better ending. Then I saw Dirty Mary Crazy Larry...

Don't we have another release coming soon? 31 has lost it's new car smell..

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Skimming rolling stone article on failed woodstock 50

Someone apparently floated the idea of a collaboration btween "miley cyrus and Bob Weir".

The horror...the horror...

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I always found that hysterical, the "church key." The can/bottle opener metal thingy... 99 cents on the counter at finer liquor stores near you.

I carry a church key AND a corkscrew onto every flight. The cheap, plastic corkscrew that has a sheath/handle, not the big ass thing your wife uses at Thanksgiving. Trust me, the TSA allows both. And also ball point pens. Which is ridiculous. Being a bit of a strong person I feel like I could easily subdue some terrorist punk with any of the aforementioned implements. Yet not allowed to carry on a leatherman multi tool, swiss army knife, or any of the like.

One has to be creative, post 9/11, to really enjoy flying. Of course first class is the best option - they'll pour you as many as you want as long as you can hold it together. And at the cost of a first class ticket these days, you've got to make up for it in great quantities of top shelf, free booze. It's a no-brainer.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by LedDed

GD woodstock lovelight?

Nigh on insufferable

Never been a big lovelight fan anyway. This version is just wretched.

Their next show was 8 20 in seattle at green lake.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by LedDed

Wade Boggs would drink Hunter S. Thompson under the food tray on a normal cross country flight.

https://youtu.be/75Gx8OmO9Rk

He later admitted his record was 107, in the above video he's a bit more cagey about it.

Dave's 30 is pretty damn outstanding on a third listen. The Feelin' Groovy> Soulful Strut portion of Dark Star is just fantastic, and the whole quiet jam that precedes is just beautiful. I started out listening to the Dancing, and went back around to the beginning on the USB.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by unkle sam

Exercise your 1st amendment right to protest a questionable war.....patriot. Make propaganda films and speeches in the enemy territory......TRAITOR. You're welcome to believe what you want jr. but she said and did the above without question.
Oh yeah it's hip to believe the lies. Here's some more truth for you. Fonda wasn't against the war , she was a communist in favour of the communists winning. Proof? 1977 after the communists did to their people that we said they would Joan Baez a true antiwar pacifist decried what they were doing to their people. Fonda, Dellinger et al called her a CIA dupe.
As I said in this country you have a right to believe what you want. So Uncle Ho was an agrarian reformer, Mao had all the answers in that little red book. Even though he was responsible for over 60,000,000 deaths of his own people. And of course the height of the new citizen Pol Pot. How many communist countries have you been to

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Alvarhonso..

I listened to the same portion of 30 today doing some woodwork in the heat this afternoon. I had almost the exact same thoughts. I had a long drive this morning that got me through discs one and two, and finished the rest fine-tuning some cherry trim that hopefully will be in my kitchen by weeks end. What a great release.

Not so weird I guess.. it's the best part of that release and it doesn't really let up until the end of the bonus disc. Still, a bit serendipitous. I keep listening to Dave's 5, 13 and 30 to see which one I like best. Gives me something to do. 29 was stupendous, but I really do like the unpredictability and surprises of the earlier years. White Rabbit. :D

For our fellow sparing partners out there, let it go.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

all this airline talk....I can't help but think about the George Carlin bit where he mentions being stuck on a plane next to a guy in a Grateful Dead t-shirt who's "working on his 9th little bottle of Kahlua!" Ha! I'm afraid I missed out on those good old days. I had a fear of flying most my life and didn't start flying till after 9/11. Sounds like I missed a lot of fun. On the other hand, I have some good memories of cross country Amtrak rides with a backpack of my own provisions, including my walkman and Europe 72 bootleg cassettes. Hopefully, the trains are still a bit lenient about such things.

I finally gave the Palladium 4/30/77 (Download Series) a close listen today. Amazing show. It's really hopeless picking favorites from the Spring 77 tour!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

The show Sunny in Philadelphia did an entire episode based on the premise of the gang trying to top Wade Boggs' record for drinking beers on a cross country flight. Good show, clever low-brow humor and I kind of dig that kind of comedy. Not for everyone I suspect, but what is?

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Jim's comment about the fading new car smell of 31 got me wondering what 32 might be, but then I wondered, when are we getting a look at this box? I for one am really curious about the size and layout, particularly since I am essentially out of shelf space for boxes and cd's. Given that the box is focused on Giant Stadium, I have a minor worry that someone might think a truly giant box would be just the thing. I'm also a little concerned, because when I commented to my wife that I was running out of shelf space for box sets and cd's again, she had sort of a negative vibe when she suggested that it would not be cool if a new box set were to remain on the coffee table in the living room indefinitely. It seems like she may have made this same point previously when I was trying to figure out how to fit the PNW box on the remaining shelf space;)

Yes, that is quite grim. It must be what all Dead music sounds like to those that don't like them. To me, the best Lovelight's clock in at around the 15 minute mark, which includes the ones from whenever they first played it, to about March 1969-and then those great few versions played during Europe 72.

Interesting listening to Woodstock again. Its surprising, in a way, that given that it was apparently something of a mass acid test, very little of the music actually sound psychedelic. The bands I have most enjoyed listening to over the last few days, that I had forgotten about a bit, are Jefferson Airplane, Sly and the Family Stone and (look away now) Creedence Clearwater Revival.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Woodstock and Vietnam conflict, I think most people's concern with the labeling of all poorly governed countries as "communist" is because the fact is they arent actually communist but financially corrupt totalitarian oligarchic regimes, with sprinklings of other suppressive systems of governance. Right wingers like to simplify arguments and therefore label all countries "communist" and then if you dont like America you're "communist". Its a catch all term to lump anything deemed "unpatriotic" by right leaning citizens, they then use it to negatively identify and label anyone they value to be a "lesser American and a communist. " Unfortunately, these tactics never disappeared and are out in full force today with revised tactics. Also many citizens do not support wars the US participated in after WW2 because they became political wars instead under the disguise of American values. The military prior to the end of WW2 was like a sheathed sword, always kept ready for conflict. After WW2, the military became a cheap switchblade to pull out and hold against other US citizens whose "perceived" lack of support became a litmus test for patriotism and citizenship...disgusting. That's why there is so much fervent military worship and why they choose to tie it so intrinsically with the NFL, its indoctrination and repurposing of the military war machine for political purposes. It's been happening since the 50s and it's a natural step on the way to true fascism. And to me that is a much more realistic and dangerous word than communist.

The military is a vital and important part of our history but it is not anywhere in the definition of the word patriot, American, or citizen, and it is not what defines this country. It is what keeps it safe so it's citizens can define themselves, whether others like it or not, that's the whole point...freedom to live, choose your own path, and make your own choices...supposedly.

Do you remember So Far that came out in 87 on VHS? I just watched this again on Amazon prime recently. So great, 50 minutes of sound check and concert footage from 85 and they sound great. I remember watching this at my buddies house in 87 and always wondered what happened to this one. Jerry looks so different in this footage then he looked like in 87. If you have never seen it or haven't seen it in over 30 years like me, check it out.
How is this box selling? I bought on in the first day.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Hey Direwulf, interesting post. Can you identify any communist country that hasn't devolved into totalitarianism? I can't think of any, which is why is appears to me that communism and socialism are doomed to devolve into totalitarianism. Totalitarianism is a feature of these systems, not a bug. Not trying to stir things up, but you obviously want to discuss this futher, so why not? I feel like we can be civil and still disagree.

I'd hate to think France, Italy, Finland, Norway and Sweden are doomed to eventually become totalitarian regimes. They are more akin socialist democracies.. not that this is my leaning or in any way related to my personal views.. but Social Democracies are different than communism. Anyway.. this whole chain of thought started with Peter Fonda and easy rider, which to me seems innocent and related enough to post it here. The soundtrack alone dances around the life and times of many here.

I don't think this conversation will go well for long here though, perhaps a topic for another day, another forum or PMs.

Again, no hard feelings and I don't think we are being disrespectful, but this conversation might jump off the tracks. Like Charlie, I mean no disrespect in any way to anyone.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Edited...

user picture

Member for

8 years

...I love the Dead’s performance of DARK STAR!!!! At Woodstock 1969. The mix on the 40th boxset is just beautiful sounding to me, I can do repeated listing no problem, it a a rare piece of history of the Grateful Dead legacy!play it loud.
https://youtu.be/kvt87xrXgZ8 everyone is well! 🙏❤️💀 Nothen left to do but Smile Smile Smile my brothers and sisters, love everything and love it to much . Say it to much, show it to much , love always prevails my friends. Stole my face right off my head 🙏❤️😎💀

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Jim, I suspect you are correct - I was thinking along similar lines after my last post, and briefly considered deleting it to avoid contributing to things going off the rails.

So how about that packaging for this box - when will we get a peek?

Yeah they're fine just ask Venezuela. One of the thing the left is vey good at is distorting language and purpose. Whatever you call it it's still socialism. Btw the Nordic countries are not Socialist but Capitalist.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html