• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

is up for the '87 show. As expected the sound is pristine. I can hear all the instruments clearly. Drums sound great. Fantastic Bertha. God I love this band.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Get well soon LMG.

All I can say about the '87 Listening Party is WOW! Absolutely phenomenal. Peak Dead. This multi-track treatment sounds top notch and the performances something hot. If there is any hesitation because of trepidation of the era, this one is still worthwhile. People who like this era will go bonkers at its excellence. Just from earbuds on my phone, this is a 5 show 5 homerun Grand Slam from a football stadium.

Most thankful that I was able to pull this one together. Been longing for '87 through '91 since they started releasing live shows. That was the peak of my time seeing them between my first show in '84 up until Jerry's last in Chicago '95.

Listening to Dave's Picks 31. My third time. Loving it more and more. Great contrast of evolution from '79 - '89.

'91 has always been a special year for me as well. Attended Soldier Field (Shakedown Street video released! Need to get!), Pine Knob (one night released as a Download Series choice!), Richfield and JGB at Rosemont and The Bradley Center (released as GarciaLive 8!). All 8 of those shows were A+ quality performances.

This is the release for me. It will bring back fond memories of my time going to shows.

Thank you Dave from one "Touch Head" to another!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

It seems to me, and I might very well be wrong, that releases from the latter years are aimed at, and appreciated most, by people who were at the actual shows being released, or who saw the regularly at that time. With early year releases-1968-1974 in particular, attendance at the show would add something, inevitably, but it is not mandatory to enjoy the recordings that have come out subsequently. I wonder if the same could be said for latter year releases? Lets hope so!

This thought just occurred to me reading Spacebrother's post below, which links this release to his own experience of seeing the band live during the years in question.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

After starting the day with Jethro Tull's Aqualung album, I moved on to the Crimson, White and Indigo release from 7/7/89 in Philadelphia, a release that I have always enjoyed. Sounding good to me again today. Both Crimson, White and Indigo and the Truckin' Up to Buffalo release of the show from 7/4/89 have excellent sound and seem like good shows to me, but, thankfully, I am easy to please.

I am looking forward to this box and I like the multiyear boxes. Of course I also like the boxes with a run of shows from a single tour as well. As I think someone else mentioned, this is the same arrangement as the Electric on the Eel box, shows from one venue from '87, '89, and '91, and for that box I found the '89 show to be the highlight. Just my random thoughts.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Great new single and video by Rosalie Cunningham, "Ride On My Bike." Quite trippy.
Curious how bicycle rides have featured quite prominently in psychedelic songs over the years. Off the top of my head I can think of
Bike by Pink Floyd
My White Bicycle by Tomorrow
Take a Trip On An Orange Bicycle by The Orange Bicycle
Bike Ride to the Moon by The Dukes Of Stratosphere
Ecologically friendly and possibly influenced by stories of Albert Hoffman's maiden voyage.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Cousins, As I listened to Scarlet Begonias from DaP 18, and they jammed like mad for the last 6 minutes, I recalled a comment you once made, about how these are actually usually a little better than before they were conjoined with FOTM. Good call. Scarlet B. DaP 18. Opium at the Orpheum.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Does Anybody Know Where The…
Does anybody know where the four Dale Saltzman 18x15 lithographs are in the woodstock box set?????

I have the box but no Dale Saltzman 18x15 lithographs???

Chuck

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

I always liked that funkier arrangement, though I also find the Jerry solos to be more appealing in the Fire era versions. The second and third versions ever from the PNW Box are okay, Donna in the recording mix is awful, I'm sure live it wasn't that bad. In '76, the slower, smoother Dead makes Scarlet groove more. In '77, that slinkier feel plus Keith Olsen's pushing tightness led to a full flowering of the song.

On that pun, a bit on the newest version to be released. Finally completed the 12/3 portion, with the filler to go. I was hesitant to play this show given the reviews, especially for a lackluster sounding Scarlet Fire, but it wasn't quite that bad. Not a wild endorsement by any stretch, but a decent enough show.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

I think it's more complicated than that.

I think it's safe to say, Boreal Ridge aside.. if you were at a particular show and it gets the full Norman, you are going to buy it and enjoy it. But are we really blinded by that or are we sometimes our own worst critics? I think if we have listened to enough shows the 'I was there factor' wears off. I have seen some great shows, many released by now, some I remember in technicolor vivid detail, some I have to be reminded I was even there... When I settle in on a show today and really listen to it, I think most of that does not come through in my final opinions.

I recall your first show being in '81? Mine '82, last in '95. Yet I get the feeling our favorite show list has many duplicates, the majority falling before 1981. 2/28/69 perhaps?

I think we like what we like.

But sometimes I become enthralled with a show outside my normal zone and walk away slack jawed and in awe.

That's the real beauty of the GD, there are so many Grateful Deads.. they seemed to reinvent themselves just enough to make just about all of us just about almost exactly happy. Just about.. and almost. Just enough.

My only regret is that I cannot seem to devour stuff at the pace many here do. That's ok though, give me another 50 years and I will be right up with the rest of you.

Happy trails all.. time to get horizontal.

Yes, that's a pretty good summary of the relationship between seeing The Dead in the past and listening to them now. I had wondered if/how the experience of the former impacted on the latter. But as I only saw them a handful of times, and you saw them many times and we both have a similar taste in the music as released, then maybe this relationship isn't so important. Maybe it is for some people. The Dead were, and of course still are, something of an armchair band for me.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

Listen to dicks Picks #9- MSG. This is a primo mix, it shoul prepare you for the up coming box set. 🙏❤️😎 I really love this dicks pick #9 MSG 1990/ November 16th 1990

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by daverock

Dave,

I am not sure that you can draw a correlation between when people saw that band and the eras they prefer. My touring days exactly overlap Jim’s. Today, I rarely listen to anything post 70s and certainly won’t spend any money on a release from that time period. For what it is worth, I happened to attend four shows from the TTATS box. To this date I have never even listened to the Oxford or Albany shows. Only Augusta and post-space MSG 87 get any play.

As Jim pointed out, it comes down to a matter of taste. I had wonderful concert experiences in my early years. Blue Oyster Cult, AC/DC, Clapton, etc. Even in the later years when I was seeing the Dead. The Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd all rolled through town. Yet, I wouldn’t purchase a single one of those shows if they were released. Well, Pink Floyd I probably would. But only one show, not all of them.

On the other hand, I would snap up any shows I saw of Bruce Cockburn, The Cowboy Junkies, The Freddy Jones Band or David Bromberg. All of which I attended during my Dead touring days.

Hope this helps.

I am sooo sorry to hear that.

I obviously don't know you personally, but we have the grateful connection.

This summer has been a big reminder of mortality on many levels, personal, national, professional, and virtual.

Stay strong, my brother. We care. Listen to the music play, and we will, too.

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

LMG - thoughts and prayers to you - may the power of music help you thru it. Sending positive vibes your way.

I'm psyched they're releasing the only two 48 track shows recorded. I think if they grouped it with the other shows on the same tour, the difference in sound quality would be noticeable. Just like the two 1990 boxes sound different. By including shows from other dates with other lineups it won't be as apparent.

Any word what the Black Friday Vinyl release is as of yet?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Hhhmmmm? Interesting stuff gentlemen?
If the recent wave of opinions here are any indication of just how diverse, and unfortunately divisive, this group is, Im not sure you could easily categorize so neatly? I think you could probably find a statistcal significance in a few groups with some similar traits i.e.,
Early years show goers who prefer to listen to early years
“ “ “ “ who listen to all years
“ “ “ “ who prefer later years
Later year show goers who prefer early years
“ “ “ “ who listen to all years
“ “ “ “ who prefer later years
Etc, etc....

But I guess Daverock’s question was how much influence being at a released show is?
I would assume that most would at least be interested in a RELEASED show if they were at it....that doesn’t mean that all would by it. Maybe they didn’t like the show, or had a bad experience? Or obviously some just don’t like to listen to certain eras. Some perhaps only have so much listening time so tend to stick with thier favorites.
Also, as we’ve discussed here before how suspect our memories are and how much the experience can sometimes skew our view so much that we’re surprised years later when we finally hear a recording of said show, for good, or for ill.
Personally, for a long time, I had gotten to the place many are at where I felt “I have enough Dead, I’ll never listen to it all” etc, which of course I’m having to live with now as I missed out on much, and have spent great sums trying to make up for it. Fortunately, their are some extremely kind folks here who have helped with that!!! But...
My criteria then was;
1) was I at the show? (I still would like to have some kind of copy of every show I was fortunate to be at, but I sure as hell don’t expect most to be “released”)
2) and/or if it was “a must have” particularly if it was from one of my favorite years, and that was it, otherwise I would not buy it. IDIOT!
I passed on E72 partly because of cost at the time, but I know if it was something that I was at or really wanted I would have found a way. But being the dipshit that I am, I was like “the song lists are all the same”.......”I already have Europe 72” IDIOT!! Obviously I hadn’t really caught the Dark Star bug yet and become a full blown junkie! Which is ironic because DS has always been a favorite? I guess just not “the” favorite yet....
Now, I feel like any show is worth at least considering and feel like if it’s an official release than tptb must of thought it worthy enough to produce it. Obviously that hasn't always played out, but I think most would agree that their batting average is pretty good, and official releases usually have enough of the boxes checked to be worthy of release, even if perhaps the contemplator won’t buy it or it’s not in their preference zone.
For me that’s often the 77-78 years. I’ll listen to some, but not often, and there has been so much released, that I won’t usually be up to buy more. But I’ll totally agree and understand why those shows are released and would not begrudge another that is into those years etc. Luckily, my cousin usually does so I can get a copy purely for collection purposes, and given the chance, I’ll listen to ANY dead show at least once!
But for me the fact is If it’s a show I was at it there is definitely I high probability I’ll get it.
I also think it’s nice when they have multiple options, like being able to just get the main 91 show from this box. I’m sure many folks would like the meat and potatoes without having to buy the whole farm. I haven’t been in that situation yet, but I would think that will happen some time?
Anyway, interesting thought? I’d be cool to hear others thoughts?

Living room:
12-3-79 (3 times since receiving)
12-9-81
8-7-82
7-31-82 set2 (playing now)

Boise 83 up next.
Thought that I’d listen to some of the most maligned releases.
I listen to all eras and can accept if 1 out of 4 DaP’s is from a cassette master.

It’s possible for me to listen to these shows in the living room this week because I balanced it with the several hours I spent listening in the car this week.
2-13-70
2-14-70
5-2-70

Hmmmmm.....how about a Plangentized “Fillmore February 1970 - East Meets West” Box? Opens up like a briefcase with Fillmore West on the the left and Fillmore East on the right.
I’ll buy it.

I listen to 1965-95 and buy all the complete, or nearly complete, show releases. I didn’t subscribe to RT at first because I didn’t want partial shows or compilations, but did buy the complete shows and eventually everything except 79 compilation and Cal Expo. I missed out on a few bonus discs for not subscribing.
Missed out on FW 69, I think it sold out before I saw the email. Didn’t have internet in my apartment at that time. I did get copies and now have 27 and 28 on vinyl (which have been Plangentized).
Missed out on the 72 steamer trunk because I hesitated (had bought a house a year earlier and was putting money into the house) and it was gone. I then paid the same amount for the AME. Learned a lesson there.

The only released show that I was at is 7-17-89 (and it’s missing the end of the first set).
I don’t need the shows I was at to be released, except for Tinley Park 90 (Brent’s last) on audio/video, since I already have copies of many of the shows. What’s missing are SBD copies of 6-27,28-95. Only AUD copies exist, don’t know why the SBDs aren’t in circulation, it’s not like these shows will ever see commercial release.

Glad to be getting the Giants Box.
Keep the releases coming and Plangentize all the good sounding reels.
Also, are there 90’s DAT or PCM masters that are worthy of release? I would like to hear what one of those sounds like after getting Normanized.

I'm one of the younger post-Jerry busriders, so don't really have too much homer investment, as I didn't attend any shows, though it could be homerism that makes me want a Greensboro box set. They played the Coliseum 7 times I think from 1980-91, and some good shows. Like this Giants box set, Greensboro had a great Dark Star with Bruce in the mix for April Fool's Day no less. I also wouldn't mind at all if 3/24/93 Dean Smith Center in Chapel Hill were to be released as a Dave's with filler from the next night. Or even if 4/12/78 at Cameron Indoor at Duke were part of the returned Bettys. I've seen the black and white video of that one quite a bit, and that's a high energy show. But I'm more about great sounding shows that have really top notch jamming. I agree the batting average is very good, certainly higher than Ty Cobb's .367, and the only deviants from the norm are somebody else's holy grail, so it balances out. There are a LOT of Dick's Picks and Download Series shows I don't listen to, so an occasional bump isn't bad at all. Just one less thing in an ever expanding rotation of great music. In the Download Series I even found that there are 1972 shows I don't like. That Seattle one from 7/21 just isn't my cup of meat.

I'm going to get this box, and I imagine I'll enjoy it quite thoroughly. Though how many times I'll listen to it is hard to say. I'm not even diving into the PNW Box as much as I thought I would. Everybody and his brother had 5/19/74 as a top, top show, and it has its moments, but it doesn't blow me away as much as 5/17 or 6/22/73. But I also don't really have the time to re-check that analysis. They've released so much excellent stuff that I've ignored most of Europe '72 Complete in the last 5 years or so. I wish we all had Dick Latvala's schedule for listening to Dead at exceedingly high volumes, but alas.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Beware of the Wolf
Appearing quite Dire
He collects his dues
While we sing
Round the fire
Wearing sheep’s clothing
Got two eyes don’t see
I was bitten this week
Not one time but three

You internet art peddler
Please don’t murder me
And don’t steal from me either
I trusted you see
But you dealt that deal anyways
Shame on you
Now shame on me

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Love those shows, Alvarhanso. Love a lot of those Sp93 shows, for that matter. That Rosemont run is honestly among my favorite shows in the entire catalogue. ‘93 easily the most underrated year. Actually listening to 3/17 right now, really good, too!

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

I only saw the Dead between 1980-1988. I would love it if they released one of those shows one day, but I don't lie awake at night thinking about it.
I started listening to the Dead in 1974, and as a result (I think), I only really liked live stuff from '68-'73. I started out only buying Dick's Picks from this era. Road Trips also. And boxed sets too.
However, when 30 trips came out, I only really wanted the first 10 shows from the box. I started ebaying them right on the day they were released. After acquiring the first 10 shows, I then picked up the '76 & '77 shows. Then I found the box (minus cds) for just about $100.00. Then I just kept looking at set lists, and wanting to try another and another. The 1984 show was the biggest surprise to me, a fantastic show. Eventually there were 5 shows I would NEVER buy. Funny thing but I now have all 30 shows!!
I payed WAY more a la carte than I would have the box, but don't think I could have kept both the box and the bill a secret. Also, by getting shows a little at a time, I had much more time to enjoy each one.
I learned that there were shows from ALL eras that I could enjoy, even though '66-'74 still get the most replays. I am only missing 4 boxes ('78, both '90's sets, and the 5 show '77 box). The only one I regret missing was the 5 show '77 box. I am only going to pick up the stand alone release from this new set, but that's enough to satisfy me.
It's ok to pass on certain releases (obviously), but we don't have to call people who DO buy them stupid (or something worse).
I truly enjoy having the option to listen to any version of the band, and I think it's cool that I have at least one show from every year.
I very much enjoy these (almost philosophical) discussions on eras, what we like, and why we like it. Keep it coming!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I am not sure its acceptable to answer your own question, but....
Of all the 1980s shows, I would be most interested in getting copies of the two I went to-or shows from the two tours they were a part-Europe March and October 1981, than any of the others.
Similarly, of all the Bruce and Vince shows I would be most interested in getting copies of the three I attended in October/November 1990 than any of the others.

But...and its a big but....I would prefer to get any unreleased show from the 1974 Europe tour than any of the five I went to. Or any show from 1974 and earlier, come to that. I just prefer the music played during those years.

I have this attitude for most of the rock/blues/pop.. whatever... music I listen to. I much prefer the era from 1965-1975 than what came after. There are exceptions of course-but I probably listen to more music from those years than any other.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 5 months

I’ve a similar view to Daverock on this. As a U.K. follower of the Dead I only saw them twice; the last two nights of the 1990 European Tour. Both shows were great, particularly the last night.

Without A Net had only been out a few weeks and I loved the wider sound palette they were using (midi I guess). There were also two or three incendiary performances on the album, albeit along with a few lacklustre ones, and I decided I really liked this modern Dead sound. Up until the I’d only listened to official releases. I had a few tapes, but I’d never really played them as I didn’t like cassettes.

One From The Vault came out in 1991. The sound palette was more limited but the performance was uniformly strong and Garcia’s voice sounded great. I stuck with the just official releases which became more plentiful as the years went on, covering most eras of the band. I yearned for more of the sparkling midi sound of WAN. I’ve already mentioned that I loved Terrapin Limited, but couldn’t find anything at all to enthuse about in Dozin’ At The Knick. Subsequent mid to late 80s and 90s shows continued to disappoint whereas I found several of the earlier releases, from the 70s, to exceptional.

The more I listened to release of all eras, the more it became apparent that, whilst you can find good things to listen to from all eras of the dead, the consistency of performance started to deteriorate in the late 70s and this only accelerated from the early 80s. This view is simply my own, not born out of the era I started listening to the band in or the shows I attended but out of what I hear in the Dead’s numerous official live releases.

So, whilst I loved the shows I saw in 1990, I’ve no desire to see these released. Having heard so many disappointing releases from the 80s and 90s, why should I believe these shows will stand up to the scrutiny of repeated listening any better than most of the others?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I got in the bus in mid 1992, and from then until 1995 I only had the exposure to the music from the few shows I attended, and the few live releases that were out, one and Two from the Vault, Bears Choice, Without a Net, Dick's Picks 1. I was also able to acquire some tapes. Basically I was taking it all in, loving all of it of course. Yet I do recall at my first show, when Bobby sang Lovelight i was little thrown off - yes I was used to hearing Pigpen on that tune. The result was that I just didn't have a good knowledge of shows or eras and was certainly lacking in the numbers tapes I had listened too.

So I did my Dead scholarly work after Jerry died, because I was compelled to get as many shows as I could. I sought out getting more tapes and thankfully Dick's Picks kept coming out. Now even then I knew that the shows from "back in the day" were more coveted, or at least that was what more experienced heads told me. I remember a dude from college who only listened to shows from 73-74... he was pretty obsessed with it, but I can see why. So I got every tape I could and listened to them all. Many of my tapes were from 69 -78 as it turned out. I became most familiar that time frame and over time I developed that as a preference. Of course I was exposed to many of the standout out shows: 3/1/69, 4/28/71, 5/8/77, 7/8/78...etc

However over time and especially in recent years I have been way more open to shows from all eras/years. I still feel like there are a few years that may not appeal to me, but I am open to anything. It doesn't matter where they played as long as the music is good, well I should say good for the time. For example, I will certainly judge show from 85 on its own merits and not compare it to a 77 show.

At this point I will buy any just about anything TPTB give us. Although I may have expanded my horizons over the years , still I feel the same as I did all those years ago in '95, when I valued every show because everything came to end. I still feel this way and now we have had many shows be given the official release. In terms of volume The Dead/Dave L./Rhino have not quite cuaght up with the tapers/archive.org obviously. Yet I am happy and appreciative of what Dave L and the crew have given us and I feel like they are doing a great job.

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

****First off--LMG, stay positive and get well soon****

Friends, looking for some feedback on the 30 Trips Box Set...in your opinion, what are your favorite 2-3 shows from the box. Appreciate your responses...

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I find myself playing 9/28/75 Lindley Meadows the most....probably 9/18/74 Dijon France and the 3/18/71 Fox Theatre a lot... hope that helps.... there are so many good choices... bob t

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hard for me to narrow to just 3 because they are all nice shows.

I pretty much listen to everything I have from the Dead at least once per year on or near anniversary dates (for the most part), but here's 3 I like...

9/10/91 MSG
10/26/89 Miami Arena
9/18/74 Dijon

...but I also like these 3...

2/22/69 Dream Bowl
10/20/68 Greek
10/27/79 Cape Cod

...and of course EVERYTHING else.

I couldn't see myself discounting any show from this set. All have plenty to like for me.

As someone who came onboard during the 3rd decade of the band's existence, my initial preferences were the Pigpen and Brent era's. As I've dug deeper, mainly thanks to these releases, I like it all. Every era.

Of the 50 shows I saw with Jerry, a few in '95 were kind of rough, especially the last two at Soldier Field. If released I'd still want them. Even the US Blues that Jerry pretty much gave up on at the second to last show.

At the time of going to shows, the only other time (besides a few in '95) I felt the show was subpar was 3/13/93. The follow-up to Rosemont which I would agree was a nice run. Upon further listening many years later I find that even this show was really good. Terrapin through the end was top notch, including one of the GREAT Stella Blue's.

My main hangup has always been lack of variety in official releases, and now that is no longer an issue. Love it all but my sweet spot is 65-95 with emphasis on '87-'91.

Budgetary constraints has limited my ability to be a completionist, and I'm quite a few behind, but at least try to keep up as best as possible as new things come out. Missed out on much of the Record Store Day releases.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

My favorites mirror some of those already mentioned.. especially 67, 70, 69 and (surprise) 74. 75 is very interesting also.

..but for me it's those shows that are off the beaten path that I sort of get the most mileage from.. 84 and 87 for example might just be the best shows played in their respective years and are super high energy. I could use a few less patches, but I enjoy the box very much.

As mentioned on the Dave's Picks 31 thread, it looks like Dead.net got hacked and had to pay £73.92 in ransomware COD to some UPS guy with a Russian accent. Strange days..

Have a great week all..

LMG, check your PM.

Oh, can't leave off 68, 76, 77, 78, 71, 72, 73.. Riverbend 85 is fun. 86 has a really sweet Comes a Time out of TOO. 91 with Branford.. 67 and 70 are my favorites though, if I had to pick.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Is going to look great on the shelf, feel great in the hands, and sound AMAZING. I am Grateful.

LOVE the 1967 from TTATS--best show ever? The '68 is fantastic. And then I am grateful for all the later shows in that box, particularly '82-'84 and '93-'95. The 1969-1978 shows are good, but we have so much from those years that my ears are thankful for the opportunity to hear sweet shows from the years we haven't heard much from.

If I were a robot, couldn't I easily work around a basic CAPTCHA?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

My favourite show is the one from 1967. I have only played the 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 and 1990 shows this year, and I have enjoyed all of them all. After 1967, I would say 1968 and 1969 are the next two favourites. Maybe 1970, too- brilliant Other One there. I am sure the 1972, 1973 and 1974 ones are exemplary, too, but I cannot honestly recollect what they are like at this moment in time.

Its also nice digging in the corners, as Jim suggests, and finding a shining star where you least expect it.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Going through them all again since last week, but in no particular order. My faves: 67, 75, 77, 71, 84
84 was the real surprise for me, not my favorite period with Jerry's voice not premium, but yet the playing is stellar.
Disappointed with 78: great 1st set, 2nd set a snooze except Estimated. The opposite for 79: sleepy 1st set, but great 2nd set.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

From what I understand, which is admittedly not much, the captcha has a couple of functions. Ostensibly its an exercise to make sure you are a human, and I suppose for now it does the trick. But what you're really doing is providing some free labor for those who need to train "robots" to "look" at pictures and "recognize" what's in them. Shown enough millions of pictures of traffic lights, at various angles, with trees in front of or behind them, in all types of weather etc, the AI can start to work out what a traffic light is, but still no where near approaching a human brain's capability. Eventually the AI should be good enough to solve a captcha. Every time we complete a captcha we're providing that human feedback to compare to what the AI guessed, given its prior input.

A number of years ago somebody figured out that texts could be digitized in this way as well, which is why a lot of these also have pics of text; you type in what you see and help to digitize existing books. Fascinating stuff to me. And I for one welcome our new robot overlords.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

That may be my favorite.

The 75 pick is great not only in performance but rarity. A little loose but essential.

Really, to me most of the 30 Trips picks are essential. Putting them all in one box was either a great move or disappointment for cost (or variety for the finicky).

Timing worked out in my acquisition of this set because that was the one time I could afford a big ticket item in thanks to a small inheritance from the passing of someone I love and miss dearly. That alone makes this set more important to me, besides the great show choices. In all likliness I'll never get another one like this. It even included a show I attended, that itself happened the same weekend as the passing of another relative.

Outside of the entertainment factor, I reflect and even meditate oftentimes while listening to these particular shows from this set.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

Not much mention of 1972 and 1973. I omitted them from my own list as those are two of the shows that didn't really do it for me. The Playing in the Band in '72 is jammed out and ends with Phil on a bum note, a rarity for Mr Pitch Perfect, and it's kind of emblematic of that show. This may be one of the few Bird Songs that doesn't really grab me. The Dark Star> China Cat is good and interesting, but although it's up my alley setlist-wise, and I've tried it a few times thinking I'll change my opinion... And like 9/24/72, 11/14/73 is right in a period where a lot of high quality shows have been released: Winterland '73 was 11/9-11, 11/17 is DaP 5, 11/21 is RT4.3, and it has the only triple Other One, which I was happy they kept in tact for the release. But the playing seems lethargic. Reviews on Archive say Phil was sitting on a stool for most of the second set and didn't seem into it. Don't know how accurate that is, but something's missing and as Jerry said, "when Phil's on, the band's on!" Here he doesn't seem to be on so much. These two shows are good shows, definitely not defining for their year like some in the box are.

Also, just to chime in on the '84 show to give my post some positivity to balance out the somewhat negative: I really liked that show. It had a good recording, and a really fun sounding show. '87 is a good one, long the 1987 standard so I've heard. Surprisingly short first set, 46 min, I think.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I highly suggest you obtain it on vinyl.
Sounds better than the CD.

Yes, I am an AI enabler.....

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Is available in the store? Should I be as surprised as I feel to see those being sold on here?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by direwulf

It’s on Amazon for $66.49 which a lot less than what I paid for it on Amazon about a year and a half ago.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

First show of the year? Not sure

Sounds like first performance of just a little light

A good tune

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Agree with everything you said. But I will buy the Hornsby show. After the Godchauxs left, I think the Dead sounded best on a great night when he was in the band. Big fan of DP 17. I can get into some 1980 if it's mixed correctly.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Trainwrecked

.... agreed. No one ever talks about that song. Except now. Might be garbage. Might not.
Speaking of captchas, I've been playing this game on PS4 called Detroit : Almost Human. Fits the bill.
Favorite TTATS shows? I'm not a huge fan of the '81 show so much. Otherwise....all in.

but I was always drawn towards Jerry.. or more accurately, Jerry and Phil. When they were on, I could care less what else was going on in the world.

Just my opinion.. I could be wrong.

Oh yea.. honorable mention to Billy or Billy and Mickey. When Jerry was on fire, that was more then enough for me.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

After contemplating this the last couple days, all that I can say for sure is that the 2/22/69 Dreambowl show and the 9/28/75 Lindley Meadows shows are my top two shows from boxilla. When I try to come up with number 3 from the box, I am unable to decide - there are a bunch of shows that might be number 3 at any given time, particularly the shows from '70, '71, '73, '77 and '87, but I really can't seem to settle on a definite choice. But for the sound quality of the 7/31/82 Manor Downs show it would definitely be a contender for number 3.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Got a free download of this guy/these guys(?) from Nugs tonight. It's really good stuff.
If ya like bluegrass...get some. Holy shit this is fun stuff.
Great covers of Mississippi & You, Paul & Silas, Lonesome L.A. Cowboy, Me & My Uncle, Running On Empty, Train Train, It Hurts Me Too & To Lay Me Down. All the rest is great too, especially if they're all originals.
Super fun bluegrass one way or the other...holey~moley this shit is good.
:O)

.... appreciate the banjo and fiddle. Too much for my own good at times.
I have not heard of Billy Strings. Ever heard of Over The Rhine?
Edit. I typed in Billy in my Spotify app, and Strings came up first. Hmmm.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html