Des Moines, IA 5/13/73
    Santa Barbara, CA 5/20/73
    San Francisco, CA 5/26/73
    Washington, D.C. 6/9/73
    Washington, D.C. 6/10/73
    Recorded by Kidd Candelario, Betty Cantor-Jackson, and Owsley Stanley
    Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
    Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
    Liners featuring notes from Canadian author, Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and Legacy Manager and Audio Archivist, David Lemieux
    Art and Design by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director, Masaki Koike
    Custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer

Limited Edition Individually Numbered To 10,000 
    Exclusively At Dead.net

"There’s the simple fact that the band members were old enough and experienced enough by now to be virtuosos on their instruments (what other group—rock or jazz or any other kind of music—could boast a trio of spectacularly singular talents such as Garcia, Lesh, and Weir?) but were still young enough to want to play and play and play some more, the happy, itchy inclination of youth. As a few of the shows in the Here Comes Sunshine boxed set attest, it wasn’t unusual for a 1973 concert to exceed four hours. And within the shows themselves, there are nearly nightly examples of hour-long orgies of tune-linked songcraft and juicy jamming." - Ray Robertson, HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 Liners

8 years in and the Grateful Dead are a little bit of everything to everyone. They are putting up textures and tones of rock, of jazz, of country, with set-morphing vibes and long stretches of improvisations that are completely keyed into the sum of their parts. Keith Godchaux is here with his cascading notes. Donna Jean too. Both finding their footing and keeping things steady in the wake of Pigpen's unfillable gap. The spring of 1973 feels transformative for the Dead - no more so than the May and early June shows, complementary yet remarkably different, soon-to-be cornerstones of everyone's tape collections, and now, 50 years later, set to be part of the band's official canon.

HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 is a limited-edition, 17CD boxed set with five previously unreleased, highly sought-after Dead shows, including: Iowa State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA (5/13/73), Campus Stadium, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA (5/20/73), Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, CA (5/26/73), and Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, D.C. (6/9/73) and (6/10/73).

During the spring, the band road-tested most of the songs they would record that summer for WAKE OF THE FLOOD – their first studio album in three years – including early live versions of “Mississippi Half-Step Toodeloo,” “Row Jimmy,” “Stella Blue,” “Eyes Of The World,” and, the set’s namesake, “Here Comes Sunshine.” Also tucked into the collection are songs destined for the Dead’s 1974 studio album, FROM THE MARS HOTEL – “China Doll,” “Loose Lucy,” and “Wave That Flag,” a precursor to “U.S. Blues.”

The new repertoire slipped neatly into the fluid setlists alongside songs honed on the 1972 European tour (“Jack Straw,” “Tennessee Jed,” “Brown-Eyed Women”), Chuck Berry perennials (“Promised Land,” “Around And Around”), classic country (“Big River,” “The Race Is On”), and incredible jam sequences: “He’s Gone”> “Truckin’”> “The Other One”> “Eyes Of The World.”

Due June 30th, the individually-numbered, limited-edition 17CD set features vibrant graphics and custom-designed folios by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director Masaki Koike, a custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer, and liner notes by Canadian author Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and David Lemieux. And, of course, it features newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes, mastered by Jeffrey Norman.

Digital convert? We've got you covered too. On the very same day you can collect your hi-definition download.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Sick Bird '67
    Default Avatar

Purchased the ALAC digital download since the discs were unavailable. Many of the dowloaded tracks have dead air.

I have purchased many of the box sets over the years and never have I run into so many issues. Disapointed to see so many other devotees with similar issues. Hope this gets resolved soon. The set lists are awsome and I can not wait to kick back and listen.

• stillwaters

It's on sale, but it's not available? What's up with that?

• daverock

Sydney - why should you be expected to send faulty discs back? You have said they are faulty - that should be enough for them. Don't they believe us if we say discs are faulty? A little respect would be nice - do they think you might be trying to pull a fast one? Ridiculous.

• dmcvt

Wow, given the recent comments, who would have thought that the HCS box would be available for $140, listed in the Black Friday sale. That means they should/must have shipped any replacement discs for faulty or damaged at no cost BEFORE they sell another set... Had to jump through three Hey Now hoops to post this... talk about Lost Sailor...

• Sydney Prentice
    Default Avatar

No one has offered me a refund,they just sent me more faulty discs that don't play.It will cost me even more to send this back,I can't see them refunding all the postage & import fees that I had to shell out.

• 1stshow70878

They cannot get you replacement discs but they can put the set on sale for $140.23 in their holiday sale? Hey now on that.
    Cheers

• daverock

Surely they should refund people the full amount they paid for it if it isn't perfect.

• Jaysspacedhead

Has anyone else received a similar email about trying to get replacement discs.

Your email has come to my attention, and I apologize for the tardiness of this response.

Unfortunately, I have been advised that we no longer have stock for the disc you need replaced.

I am very sorry that we cannot fulfill your replacement request. We will refund you 50% for this item. (Please allow up to 5 days for funds to post to your account.)

May I also offer you a digital download of the Here Comes Sunshine box set? (If you would like to pursue this offer, please let me know whether you would prefer your download files in the FLAC or ALAC format.)

I apologize again for this frustrating experience.

Sincerely,

Tashanna
    WMG Specialty Customer Service

• marye
    send me a PM!
  • phantomengineer
    Default Avatar

Mary, belatedly can I contact you about an issue with the discs on this one, and can you remind me how I do such...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

WHAT'S INSIDE:
Five complete, previously unreleased performances on 17CDs
Des Moines, IA 5/13/73
Santa Barbara, CA 5/20/73
San Francisco, CA 5/26/73
Washington, D.C. 6/9/73
Washington, D.C. 6/10/73
Recorded by Kidd Candelario, Betty Cantor-Jackson, and Owsley Stanley
Newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes
Mastered by Jeffrey Norman
Liners featuring notes from Canadian author, Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and Legacy Manager and Audio Archivist, David Lemieux
Art and Design by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director, Masaki Koike
Custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer

Limited Edition Individually Numbered To 10,000 
Exclusively At Dead.net

"There’s the simple fact that the band members were old enough and experienced enough by now to be virtuosos on their instruments (what other group—rock or jazz or any other kind of music—could boast a trio of spectacularly singular talents such as Garcia, Lesh, and Weir?) but were still young enough to want to play and play and play some more, the happy, itchy inclination of youth. As a few of the shows in the Here Comes Sunshine boxed set attest, it wasn’t unusual for a 1973 concert to exceed four hours. And within the shows themselves, there are nearly nightly examples of hour-long orgies of tune-linked songcraft and juicy jamming." - Ray Robertson, HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 Liners

8 years in and the Grateful Dead are a little bit of everything to everyone. They are putting up textures and tones of rock, of jazz, of country, with set-morphing vibes and long stretches of improvisations that are completely keyed into the sum of their parts. Keith Godchaux is here with his cascading notes. Donna Jean too. Both finding their footing and keeping things steady in the wake of Pigpen's unfillable gap. The spring of 1973 feels transformative for the Dead - no more so than the May and early June shows, complementary yet remarkably different, soon-to-be cornerstones of everyone's tape collections, and now, 50 years later, set to be part of the band's official canon.

HERE COMES SUNSHINE 1973 is a limited-edition, 17CD boxed set with five previously unreleased, highly sought-after Dead shows, including: Iowa State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA (5/13/73), Campus Stadium, UCSB, Santa Barbara, CA (5/20/73), Kezar Stadium, San Francisco, CA (5/26/73), and Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, D.C. (6/9/73) and (6/10/73).

During the spring, the band road-tested most of the songs they would record that summer for WAKE OF THE FLOOD – their first studio album in three years – including early live versions of “Mississippi Half-Step Toodeloo,” “Row Jimmy,” “Stella Blue,” “Eyes Of The World,” and, the set’s namesake, “Here Comes Sunshine.” Also tucked into the collection are songs destined for the Dead’s 1974 studio album, FROM THE MARS HOTEL – “China Doll,” “Loose Lucy,” and “Wave That Flag,” a precursor to “U.S. Blues.”

The new repertoire slipped neatly into the fluid setlists alongside songs honed on the 1972 European tour (“Jack Straw,” “Tennessee Jed,” “Brown-Eyed Women”), Chuck Berry perennials (“Promised Land,” “Around And Around”), classic country (“Big River,” “The Race Is On”), and incredible jam sequences: “He’s Gone”> “Truckin’”> “The Other One”> “Eyes Of The World.”

Due June 30th, the individually-numbered, limited-edition 17CD set features vibrant graphics and custom-designed folios by GRAMMY® Award-winning Art Director Masaki Koike, a custom-dyed Tenugui and an exclusive poster featuring an illustration by Mary Ann Mayer, and liner notes by Canadian author Ray Robertson, The Owsley Stanley Foundation, and David Lemieux. And, of course, it features newly restored and speed-corrected audio by Plangent Processes, mastered by Jeffrey Norman.

Digital convert? We've got you covered too. On the very same day you can collect your hi-definition download.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Don’t just stand there dreaming…

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Thanks Dave/Rhino/Norman and those who made the recordings.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

FINALLY!!!

the June 9/10 shows have been on this radar for, well, since my birth (which was 6/10/73).

This clearly explains my obsession; its in the deoxyribonucleic acid aka My Soul!!

Be Well People!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Then found this "secret" release!--I heard nothing of this release in my e-mail?? I wondered if they weren't going to do RFK for the 50th, given how Dave alluded to the shows a few years back in a, "Yeah, we DO need to get those out, don't we . . . " kind of manner. Got the coffee mug, too, since I never have had a GD coffee mug.

Be kind, rewind.

p.s. Received the announcement e-mail about two hours after ordering the box!

user picture

Member for

3 years 2 months

I have tried ordering this in safari and chrome but the order will not go through. I’ve tried different cards but dead.net will not accept a payment.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Top of the cover picture, above the skull

There appears to be a set of ice climbing tools?

anyone?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Dick Latvala's and Kirk West's proposed project is obviously not happening now. Bummer. Glad the Deads sets are getting released, but that project would be been fucking awesome.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I had trouble ordering. I added a new credit card and that fixed the problem.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by Dennis

Those are hockey sticks.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

So there is absolutely no information on the digital files beyond offereings in FLAC and ALAC. I assume that one or both are 24 bit, but would love some further information before deciding whether to buy them or the discs. HELP!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Rimshot for AJS. Good one.
Jesus saves, passes to Moses, he shoots, he SCORES!
Cheers

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

A bit better than a freakin' Bolo clue (not casting asparagus, Bolo)...

The dream is here: five big '73 shows, 50 years later.

I still think they might package the Watkins Glen soundcheck with the WotF 50th.

And coming in two months. Righteous! Thanks Dave & Co.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 5 months

They look like scythes which are used to harvest the wheat.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

That the fourth disc for 10 June 73 with Dicky and Butch bodes well for ... something! A bunch of people had to agree on that, including lawyers, no doubt, so that it's happening I take as a good sign.

Pretty much any "good sign" is a good thang these days.

The '73 GD is particularly good at high volume! This is my Snoopy kick-up-my-heels post.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

OMG!!! I think I just died and went to Heaven. It's been a shitty year and a half for me. I've been to the hospital twice and was recently diagnosed with B-Cell Lymphoma. I have been through chemo and a Bone Marrow transplant and still receiving therapy and treatments but getting better each day at home. Listening to the Grateful Dead helped me through the trying times. I know I was a dollar short and a day late to miss the 6/10/1973 show but I did attend and enjoyed my "very first show" 6/9/1973 at RFK. I have been on the bus ever since. I would like to thank the Grateful Dead and the crew at GD Merchandise and especially for David L for finally putting these shows out. You have made my day!!
Peace/Love and save the world! Steve

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

These shows have been a long time coming. I know at some point they tried getting the RFK shows with Allmans released but problems developed. Space brother commented a few post back about it. Anyway, bring it on!

user picture

Member for

5 years 1 month

I 2nd VGUYS shout out of get better soon!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 8 months

Man, I have been waiting for the Des Moines show for a long time. Yes, I was just a sixteen year old punk at my first Dead show with many many many more to come. This old dude is excited.

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

Beyond stoked by this announcement. 1973 just might be my favorite year in all of Deadom, so 17 discs from that period--including the legendary RFK shows, finally--almost sounds too good to be true. Somebody pinch me!

Agree with previous comments about the Allmans: there are a number of recordings out there in which GOGD/ABB members share the stage, but few if any have seen official release, presumably due to legal complications. If the lawyers got together and figured things out well enough to get the Dickey/Butch/GD set released, maybe there's more to come? A guy can dream.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 5 months

I'm in.

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

I got a YouTube notification for Ramble On Rose and saw it was from 6/10/73…I was like huh? Stopped me in my thoughts, is this foreshadowing? It sounds great! Then another alert right after that for the Dave’s couch side chat about the box set! Started listening to Dave and stopped. Went and ordered it and the vinyl without thinking. And now thinking what a nice week it’s been. Great news for a Tuesday! Finished couch side chat and waiting for No. 46, with something beautiful on the horizon!

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by Jead72

I’ve tried two cards and PayPal and am being rejected every time. I have been texted by the banks and have confirmed that I made the attempted order but the cards are still rejected. PayPal just says there’s a problem and won’t open. I can’t talk directly to my bank customer service dept because it’s 20:17 here and the line doesn’t open for another 12 hours. This may wellbe the first cd boxset that I can’t get.

Edit. I moaned too soon! After several attempts I finally got PayPal to work so my order is in. Why is it so difficult to get these systems to be fool proof?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

of the Grateful Dead. Absolutely real.
Best wishes for brother Big Steve!
Cheers

Keep it up with that healing. I never miss out on a '73 show, but, like you I missed 6/10 and attended 6/9. I don't remember seeing you there (ha), but I enjoyed it so much I've never understood how 6/10 could live up to the hype. Now we'll know.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

But much appreciative.
Play '73 DEAD play '73 DEAD LOUD!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Dave L. has high and mighty praise for that 6-9-73 show on the couch side chat.
You are both lucky to have seen that one.
Can't wait!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

1 year

I am having trouble ordering DP 46 and pre-ordering Here Comes Sunshine on the online store. Have tried multiple different devices and have had three different relatives/friends try unsuccessfully as well. Can anyone please help? Have successfully ordered several things in the past few months. Not sure what changed.

Finally! The RFK shows see the day of light! I have been waiting for these forever! The other 3 shows will be the icicng on the cake. Happy day indeed! Go Big Steve! Get well bro'.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

This is exciting!!

I know a birthday boy who's going to be just elated. Happy for you, bro!!

These cornerstone shows were in my very first clutch of Maxell tapes twenty years ago.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Two cards rejected then Paypal came to the rescue like a shining white knight. So happy to get this one as I've wanted RFK forever. Can't wait for this to arrive but will make do with my 2023 RSD vinyl from Boston 77.

big Steve you are a tough guy.
Keep On, what a pleasure each morning opening the window, drinking a good coffee and breathing fresh air. Nothing does match Life. Enjoy
a new box for a great year, but how to forget Pacific North West, Nassau, LA, Denver, dp28, Boston Oklahoma and the winterland box.
the third set of 6/10 from It takes a lot to laugh to the end is the highlight with Merl and Dicky Betts.
all the best shows of 73 are past but not gone.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by pparish34

PParish - I have noticed that the only way I seem to be able to order these days is to sign in as a guest. Might be worth try if you are still having difficulties.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Forget what I was saying earlier about me not being interested in Allmans and Dead members jamming on the same stage. I seem to have changed my mind for some unknown reason.

user picture

Member for

7 years 3 months

Big Steve, good wishes + healing thoughts coming your way, sir. Chemo... what a long strange drip.

Anyone else listening to Harpur College rn? :)

Folks I'm honestly on the fence about this box set, not bc I have any doubts about the music (I practically wore out my Maxell XLIIs of Kezar back in the day) but I already have about 30 shows in my collection from '73. So it's good seeing the enthusiasm here, and tbf the only show besides 5/26 that I've heard from this bunch is 6/10. I look forward to hearing more, esp about Santa Barbara if anyone was there!

user picture

Member for

2 years 5 months

Finally got my order in, but what a hassle it was.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

....I did, and went through PayPal first attempt.
Using Chrome.

user picture

Member for

3 years 2 months

I don't know if anyone from dead.net reads these but this website will not let me order the new boxset. I have tried as a guest and it doesn't take my order. I have tried using safari, chrome, and edge on a pc, MacBook, and iPhone with no luck. I have also used 3 different credit cards and PayPal and dead.net still will not take my order. I have ordered Dave's Picks and other boxsets in the past and I have never had an issue. Please take my money, I would like to order this!

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

OBEAH-----

YES!! I revisted Harpur College today. Classic, crunchy, good ole Grateful Dead..................

Rock on!!

Doc
Music is forever; music should grow and mature with you, following you right on up until you die......

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

Holy crap! Wasn't sure this would ever happen! Thank you Dave!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/en/grateful-dead/special-collections/here-comes-sunshine/here-comes-sunshine-1973-dead.net-exclusive-[17-cd]/081227847036.html