• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
    Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
    Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
    Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
    Producer's Note by David Lemieux
    Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
    Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • cheryleula

Thank You!

• Slow Dog Noodle

just noticed this says sold out. Its about time. I don't know what took so long. This is a fantastic box set.

• eyes43

The first two listening days players are mixed up, on the main page for the July 78 box set. Just thought admin might want to fix that! Peace!

• perithecat

marye , could you have a look at my order number if you can 137400000224478
    ordered on nov 27th and still nothing . any help would be appreciated .

• ecce homo
    Default Avatar
    July 1978: The Complete Recordings delivered today

Hi just an bit of info for people who were in a similar position to me: I ordered the Box Set (as part of a larger order) on 9-21-19, and it arrived today, so a little over 3 months later. I had written CS once (on November 26) and received a reply on December 3 from Warner Music Group Customer Service which read, in part:

Due to a complex warehouse move we now have a significant backlog of both customer inquiries and shipments, and as a result we haven’t been able to deliver at the level that we pride ourselves on.
    For those waiting on their orders, while we wish we could give you an exact estimate as to when your order will ship, we are still awaiting the exact order status details that we urgently want to get to you.
    We are putting 100% of our focus and dedication into a solution to this shipping delay, and are currently working with our warehouse partner to send out outstanding orders.
    We wish we had been able to have communicated this to you sooner, but we had relied on assurances from our warehouse partner that they would be able to quickly resolve the backlog of orders, and they haven’t been able to honor this commitment. We must again apologize for this delay in reaching out to you.
    While it is not our place to be making requests of you, we do hope that you will continue to be patient with us, as we work through these issues and work with our current partner to ship out your order as soon as possible.
    We are genuinely sorry for the delay and inconvenience associated with your order, and we thank you for your patience and understanding to date.

HANG IN THERE FELLOW DEADHEADS!!!!!! AS ALWAYS IT WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT.
    However, I don't see the Box Set currently listed for sale on the Dead's site right now either? My S/N was 091xx of 15000.
    Peace and Happy Hanukkah!

• carlo13

Merry x-mas to you too. Now the july 78 box completely disappeared from the site which makes me nervous. There were still a bunch left too.

• RobbZ

I feel for you, man. I made the mistake of ordering a simple CD (Terrapin Limited--3/15/90) for a Christmas gift some three weeks ago. Alas, it still sits in a "processing" status. Email requests have been answered with the same "robo-response" bullshit. And what makes it even more frustrating is dead.net had absolutely zero problems charging my credit card the day I ordered it...that portion of their logistical process seems to run flawlessly! And by comparison, I ordered other Christmas gifts from the Foo Fighters, Rush, and Pearl Jam websites the same day as my Dead order, and holy shit, like magic, all their merchandise arrived, as ordered, in less than a week.
    This "we're moving our warehouse" excuse has grown pathetic and old...any logistical issues dead.net is having should be transparent to the customer! But allow me to end my complaints with a few suggestions, as I'm the kind of person who won't complain without bringing some solutions to the table....: (1) SHUT DOWN ALL SALES UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO COMPLETE AN ORDER! (2) DO NOT CHARGE THE CUSTOMER UNTIL AFTER A PRODUCT SHIPS!

Merry Christmas All---and Carlo, if you're really Jonesin for those 78 shows, PM me (if it works) I'm sure I have a copy's I could share

• fourwindsblow

It may take a little time be patient.

"Due to a high-volume of email traffic, there will be a delay in response time".

• Kengoesto11

Wish I knew. I was hoping to confirm that the order will be recognized instead of forgotten. So I tried Dr. Rhino and got the same robo-response/apology as regular customer service email. These responses include a reminder that multiple inquiries may further delay an order...so handcuffed, LOL! But I can still play the shamisen and there are far worse things. It's all good.

• carlo13

I also ordered this box 7 weeks ago and still nada. I am waiting patiently because it will eventually ship. I will say it will ship on Dec. 22. What date do you think.

user picture

Member for

17 years 2 months

July 1978: The Complete Recordings

What's Inside:

• Five Complete Shows on 12 discs
• 7/1/78 Arrowhead Stadium: Kansas City, MO
• 7/3/78 St. Paul Civic Center Arena: St. Paul, MN
• 7/5/78 Omaha Civic Auditorium: Omaha, NE
• 7/7/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
• 7/8/78 Red Rocks Amphitheatre: Morrison, CO
Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman
Artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope
Intro and show-by-show liner notes by Nicholas Meriwether
Producer's Note by David Lemieux
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000
Release Date: May 13, 2016

Announcing July 1978: The Complete Recordings

We’re pleased to announce JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS, five incredible unreleased shows and the first official release from the long-lost tapes, recently returned to the Grateful Dead’s vault. Follow the Dead on a sonic journey through a superb selection of settings, an often epic adventure that finds them winning over Willie and Waylon fans in Kansas City, conjuring charisma in Omaha, and elevating the Red Rocks beyond their already spiritual planes. With five distinct performances painting the masterpiece of 1978, Betty Cantor-Jackson's always-pristine soundboard recordings, and the "hall-of-fame pedigree" of the Dead's first-ever shows at the legendary Red Rocks Amphitheatre, this is one release that far exceeds excellence in music, sound quality, and rarity.

Limited to 15,000 individually numbered copies, JULY 1978: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS includes Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO (7/1/78), St. Paul Civic Center, St. Paul, MN (7/3/78), Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE (7/5/78), and Red Rocks Amphitheater, Morrison CO (7/7/78 and 7/8/78) - all of the performances in this collection are drawn from the band’s master soundboard recordings, each newly mastered by Jeffrey Norman. The set also features original artwork by esteemed cartoonist Paul Pope (D.C. and Marvel comics) and in-depth liner notes written by Nick Meriwether (Grateful Dead Archives at the University of California, Santa Cruz), as well as a producer’s note from producer David Lemieux.

Due May 13th, we anticipate that this extraordinary box will sell out. Your best bet is to pre-order it now, then sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out over the next few weeks right here.

Looking for something a little more byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Funny banter from DaP 3. I think there are more between-song comments about Alligator than equipment issues. I wonder why they gave up on it, a solid year before Pigpen's last gig. Great tune. Really enjoying this Dave's Picks Vol 3 this morning (aka Earthquake in the Phil Zone). Keith is tremendous, all the more for having played his first rehearsal with the band less than a month before. 1971 was such a cool year, as you had two distinctly different, yet great versions of the band: the five piece with Pigpen, and the five piece with Keith.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

Have multitrack source tapes been used by Dave in his series? Could that be a "never been done before"? I know it's too soon for another '74, but I am hopeful we will eventually get all remaining unreleased retirement week music, and especially full or near full show treatment for so-fine 10-16-74.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I agree Keithfan. Too bad they didn't bring more of them back.. but they did bring back a few from time to time. Admittedly, that was one of the more interesting things we got out of some of the recent incarnations. Cream Puff War, Alligator, Viola Lee.. I even got to see an Alice D Millionaire once. ..or are you beating the drum for a Primal Dave's Picks 19? Danc, no.. we have not seen multi-tracks on Dave's Picks to my knowledge. I don't think you are alone on wanting more released from retirement week either.
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

Recently Ive been getting back into camping as a couple music festivals have free camping as part of the ticket price. I love being out in the woods at night looking up at the heavens thru the trees. My kinda Cathedral for sure.Been assembling all the gear and such and planning for the next one in October. My only story that has a bit of terror, beside being a sheer hell raising boy scout that damn near gave the scoutmaster a heart attack, happened in the Ocala National Forest. I would go up there in college, hike 6 miles to a place called Buck Lake complete with heavy college textbooks, and spend the weekends. One such weekend I was up getting a fire going, when barely over the treetops come roaring 2 Phantom F-4 jets hauling ass like dragons from hell, and directly near me threw on the after burners! Made me tumble back on my ass and shudder and shit myself almost! Amazing the speed these things demonstrated. Turns out Buck Lake was directly next to a bombing range, I had no idea! That night they came back, but I was ready and dug the whole show.........
user picture

Member for

14 years 8 months

So a bunch of us had hiked well into the desert in Anza Borrego and set up camp for the night and were sitting around a campfire bullshitting as the dark of a moonless night surrounded us. Suddenly Bernie yells "Shush I heard something!" and we all shut up and started to listen. Sure enough something was out there. It sounded like an animal was running in short bursts and then stopping and waiting for awhile. And then it was running straight at us and fast. We all screamed and ran and scrambled up some rocks and yelled "WTF WTF WTF?!?!" Luckily Jeff had grabbed a flashlight and he turned it on and pointed it down to our campsite and there it was. A paper bag blowing in the wind. The dark can be a scary place.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Just a bag, sure.., but I bet it had nasty, pointy teeth (said in my best Monty Python British accent). Me and a buddy took a Kool-Aid infused GD camping trip one weekend something like 30 years ago. We were doing an overnighter w/ a six mile hike to some decent sized cliffs in George Washington National Forest. We partook about an hour before we got to camp, arrived feeling just fine, set up our tents without exception as the sun was going down and proceed to grab the big (and loud) boom box and a handful of tapes we brought and headed to the cliffs for a night fun, music and adventure. It was a full moon, there was no one around for miles and the tunes and company were great. The full moon and our stance on the cliffs gave us great views all night long. About 4 am we started to feel slightly human and decided to head to the tents and begin the process of trying to go to sleep. We must have set up our tents in the middle of a daddy long leg mating site (or were they spiders?), our tents were covered with hundreds perhaps thousands of the things. We devised a plan where we would shake them off the tent with a branch, make a mad dash, unzip, dive in, rezip the tents and kill off any of our 8 legged friends that decided to couch surf in our tents. The plan worked brilliantly (we lived) it was pretty creepy shining the flashlight on the tent though and seeing it covered w/ the harmless critters. If you shined the light at an angle they looked really big and spooky ..or were they spiders? Made for a good laugh in the am when reality was solidly under foot. A little corny but those things were everywhere, what are the odds?
user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

Backpacking with three friends in the Gila Wilderness of New Mexico back in 2003 I had my scariest backpacking experience. I was on point for the group after a river crossing and soon heard a rattle, then a hiss-- look down and a coiled big old rattlesnake is about one foot from my right foot. We quickly took a step back-- and then another step back. We hung out and let him cross the path and I announced that I was not leading the group the rest of the trip. I was given a hard time, of course, with one friend actually finding an abandoned piece of rope on the trail right after that-- he flings it back at me like a snake, laughing and laughing. The next day, he was point and he came across a rattlesnake-- same situation as me, rattle-hiss-coiled snake a foot away. He quickly announced he was done leading the group, too. Not too funny when it happens to you. We surely would have died out there-- we didn't have a snake bite kit with us. Then there was our trip to the North Cascades when we did a loop hike and missed the turnoff for the camp site on the last day (was supposed to be 2nd to last day) and didn't realize it until we were too far down the switches to turn around and go back. Darkness was descending and we needed to get off that mountain. I ran down those switches. Got back to the car we left at that trail head and it had a flat tire, but luckily we ran into some people coming off the trail who had a bicycle pump. Amazing luck! Dead content-- I am really enjoying this box. The 7/8 show is really, really good. That second set smokes, Bobby really hitting it on Sugar Magnolia and Franklin's. I have found Omaha to be slightly disappointing. I had Lazy Lightning/Supplication going one night and my wife came in and said it was the worst GD she has heard me play. Couldn't disagree too much-- the vocals were pretty bad on that.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I'd be happy with that Chateau show that was posted from '71 yesterday, including DVD. I had posted a couple of weeks ago that "unlike anything we've ever done" sounds too deliberate a way of putting it to mean that they're merely doing a never before released year in the Dave's Picks series (i.e. 81 - 95). My guesses were either 2 CD + 1 DVD or a multi-track released in 5.1. I had no idea yesterday's Chateau footage existed, so now I'm convinced this has got to be it:)
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Your story is that you, or any one of your camping party in your true story, are Ziggy Stardust and the arachnids were the Spiders From Mars. But your story didn't turn out like the fictional Davis Bowie story did ...Yours was better.
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Looking for a Chateau. I'd bet most of us are down with that, Keithfan. I wonder who owns the video? The previous owner had an unfortunate run-in with his own destiny.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

Years ago I went with a camp group to Maine, Katahdin State Park. First time I ever saw a moose. Awesome sight. I did not know they can swim! The next morning a couple of us got up early and snuck out of the tent to go get some pics. While we waited on the dirt road in front of the tents for a slow poke to get his sneakers on, we heard the out house door, behind some bushes, open / close. We scuttled behind the tent as we didn't want anyone to tell us we could not go. After a minute or two we came around to the front of the tent again. Imagine our shock & surprise, when right on the other side of the dirt road, not more then 10 feet away, was a big, black bear on his hind legs sniffing around for the steak bones from our previous night's cook out! Just about s... our pants as we high tailed it back into the tent screaming bloody murder! The park rangers came and led him away much to our relief That is my camping trip story and I will never forget it. This was in the summer of '67 Rock on
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

As far as Bob, I believe he is trying to be the elder statesman now. Some of the pics of Jer in the 83-84 timeline (maybe,I think), he was completely unkempt. I think it was a video of Compton Terrace where people were commenting that Jer had not showered or even changed clothes between shows (seems like it was 2 days at Compton which would not be until the 90's, so I can be very wrong.) In the same thought process. When I first heard Sailor/Saint I thought Bob was singing "Where's the Dark Star?" Of course, it is the dog star, canis major. The star sailors use to navigate. It was always interesting to me that Bob sang that we are a lost sailor, but he is a st. of circumstance. So he in saint belted out "see the dog star shine, i gotta a feeling there is no time to lose." Jerry, of course, being the dog star, a guiding light to lead you out of the darkness, the scary place. (Listen to the music play.) He is also the dark star, the one that leads you down the path of the near death experience and then resurrects us into grate joy that we survived. Truly one that is Grateful Dead. So even today, I take it to be a deeper question as in us lost sailors "where is your dark star." We have changed as a band, can you find the dark star in the show? I always related drums/space as being the dark star portion of the show. Part freeform jam, part feedback. We can tell Jey aint goona be here too long, so you better see him shine while you can. I just believe Bob has now stepped into the role. He knows his time is limited. He is wearing the black shirt instead of vibrant colors. He is rocking the beard, being the stately gentleman of the organization. Personally, I have no problem with that. That is what he seems to implying on the CBS Sunday morning excerpt. That he is now the older statesman, and he now plays the role to help pass on the organization to the next generation of torch bearers, Mayer or JK.) I know, I know, just one man's ramblin
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I'd love to see the following partial shows released in full, especially the 1974 stuff (which seems to have been hit the hardest): Dick's Picks 12 (June 26, 28, 1974) Dick's Picks 7 (Sept 9, 10, 11, 1974) Dick's Picks 31 (August 4, 5, 6, 1974) Road Trips '74 (June 16 & 18, 1974) Dick's Picks 2 (10/31/71) Road Trips '71 (Autumn Dead 11/14/71) Dick's Picks 18 (Feb 3, 4, 5, 1978) Dick's Picks 3 (5/22/77) Dick's Picks 26 (April 26, 1969) Road Trips '78 (Release it all!!! From Egypt With Love October 17, 18, 20, 21 and 22, 1978. Or at least 10/20 - get us some Shakedown Street!)
user picture

Member for

8 years 9 months

I thought for sure we would get an announcement this week. If memory serves, in the last video Dave said end of June/early July so I guess if not now then soon. At this point I am done speculating and the anticipation is killing me. C'mon Dave give us something!! I'll be riding the week out with Winterland 73 since everyone is talking it up. I'm still reeling from Dead and Co in Camden. I really dug this portion of the show - 1:25:01-1:25:30 Stay Jam during The Wheel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF6tWk1WTpA
user picture

Member for

8 years 10 months

thanks for the link and tip. Finally I am hearing something post Jerry that sounds pretty darn tasty. Guess I need to dig a little deeper into D&C. Were you there? Was it a good crowd/sold out? Sounds like this band might be getting some wings, any other shows you would recommend checking out? Thanks
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Agree for sure on the Bob bootlegs. For 'legal bootlegs', those are the ones I meant, ie not sharing released material. I am on the whole happy with the Bootleg Series, don't get me wrong, BS1-3 was a classic as one of the first dives into the vault, and Tell Tale Signs BS8 is a masterpiece that gets overlooked. The acoustic / harmonica Most Of The Time..and the Time Out of Mind tracks before all the Lanois-murk. Can't Wait, Marchin' To The City, Red River Shore. Oh yeah. Man, that piano Can't Wait is his best blues since Meet Me In The Morning, in my opinion. But anyways, definitely agree on the real boots. Bird's Nest, like you mentioned, is one of my favorite. I like Possum Belly Overalls better than the Cash / Dylan sessions..both very strange but endearing. My fallback is the Folksinger's Choice from the Cynthia Gooding radio program in 1962. It is hilarious and some cool performances. Pre-first album is under-represented, I love all the old folk and blues covers that was his repertoire. All the Gaslight bootlegs (61, 62 and 63) are excellent. On that note, the Minnesota Hotel Tapes (Bonnie Beecher, etc) is another of my go-tos from that era. Speaking of bootlegs, not exactly the mid-60s but two 'new' bootlegs just showed up in the Dylan world; rehearsals with the Heartbreakers from late '85, and 'After the Empire', sessions in the same year with originals after Empire Burlesque. I grabbed them yesterday but haven't got to them yet. Pretty much anything is going to get my attention to some degree, but new originals, that's a good meatball. Most of my time this week, however, I've had Dick's Picks 28 spinning. Bass solo!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I had a question that maybe someone can help me out with. on the may 77 box set the 5/11/77 show ive noticed that during ramble on rose and sugaree there's some sound anomalies during those songs and wondered is it just the fact that the source tape of the show had some imperfections from the source tape or my box set or my crappy Dell cd drive when it rips cds.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

I had a question that maybe someone can help me out with. on the may 77 box set the 5/11/77 show ive noticed that during ramble on rose and sugaree there's some sound anomalies during those songs and wondered is it just the fact that the source tape of the show had some imperfections from the source tape or my box set or my crappy Dell cd drive when it rips cds.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Sorry to ramble on, but this Salt Lake City 2/28/73? Truckin' > The Other One > Eyes > Morning Dew...I love all the breakdowns where it seems like it's falling apart, but still holds together with some kind of jazz undercurrent, especially the bass and piano. From the little I know, it's reminiscent of some of 1972 in that style (maybe the Europe 72 Playing In The Band breakdowns), but more on the jazz side than the twisted kaleidoscope side. Less wah / drive maybe a factor there?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

I usually start off in Nebraska, 2/26/73, with the magnificent Dark Star, seamlessly transitioning to an exquisite Eyes, sprinting downhill into Not Fade Away/Goin' Down The Road/Not Fade Away...which then springs a mystic jump to Utah, 2/28/73, with a jaw-dropping Other One backed up by another uniquely stellar Eyes, followed by a serenely ecstatic Morning Dew.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....I know Dead & Company will never be the Grateful Dead, but the segue from Wheel into Eyes in Camden was pretty damn impressive....
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Vguy - I saw that mentioned earlier but haven't got to check it out yet. On my way now.. Kyle - What kind of anomalies and at what times, for an example? Others definitely know that set better than me, but I put it on and didn't notice anything obvious. Though, I probably focused for about two minutes, as I get distracted easily. Like now...... Speaking of transitions, this 5/11/77 show is certifiable. Holy Cow. That track named "Space >" is not Space > as I've been exposed to it..(ie no MIDI rain forest noises or psycho babbling)
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Dave has said that they will be releasing only the best Dead concerts in the Dave's Picks series, which has resulted in concerts almost exclusively from the 70s (and I'm not complaining here), but none from the 80s. No doubt the 80s holds many treasures (can't wait for 7/13/84 to be officially released!). The sound quality of many 80s soundboards is reportedly not up to par, which has undoubtedly been a factor in not releasing many shows from this decade. Given that Dave views the 70s as the Dead's best decade (and I agree with him), once more 80s shows start to populate the Dave Picks series, I wonder if this might indicate that the number of good shows in the vault (as DL sees it) is running out . . . For the record, I'd love to see 80s and 90s shows released in the Dave Picks series. Just a thought as I was making dinner tonight . . .
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Correction to the post below -- Dave's Picks released 1 show from the 80s -- overlooked the excellent 11/30/80 from the Fox.
user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

Ramble On Rose seems to be a matrixed recording up to about 5:03 when it becomes a full soundboard recording.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

born cross eyed thanks for the response maybe that is the case. these tapes are old and sometimes they have to do a splice or do a matrix I just wondered if anyone else heard this. id hate to have a defective disc way after the fact its sold out. its hard to find time to just open a dead box set and listen to it before the 30 day return period is over.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

ok I relistened to it. the spot on ramble On Rose its between the 4:40-5:00 minute mark. I don't know how else to explain it but it sounds like you are listening to an old tape with a warped/crinkle spot in it. born crosseyed said it sounds like part of that song is a matrix which might explain it. as far as sugaree goes its between I think the 4:00 and 4:12 mark anomaly sounds the same as the ramble on rose one for a split second. somewhere else theres a bit of distortion on keiths keyboards but after that I notice keith's keys have either dropped out of the mix or just completely stopped playing when they jerry and bob are doing that high speed strumming part. you might not notice it when you don't listen to it on headphones. I listened to ramble on rose on my dvd player and didn't notice it too much. but if you are listening to it on headphones on your Ipod like I am its really noticeable. also I rip my dead cds at 320 kpbs it seems to be the best way to hear them so far on headphones I've tried ALAC and it just seemed too booming loud and for some reason using an ipod you have to use ITunes and ITUNES just wont let me transfer FLAC rips from my windows player to ITunes. what do you all rip your cds at quality wise?
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 6 months

Where did you pick up the 'Heartbreakers Rehearsals' and 'After The Empire'? I'm particularly interested in the 'Heartbreakers Rehearsals' since I saw that Dylan/Petty show at the old Spectrum in Philly.
user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

Does anyone know if this '71 compilation was ever released in a digipak / cardboard type of case ever? Or just the big plastic jewel case?
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

To the best of my knowledge, it only comes in the big, plastic, tie-dyed jewel case. I haven't listened to that in forever.. the last Alligator. I bet Disney wishes it could say the same..
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

EstimatedEyes, it seems to me that running into multiple rattlesnakes on the same hike is like lightning striking in the same place twice. I just don't believe in coincidence or conspiracy theories. It was obviously HendrixFreak on one of his backcountry outings taking one too many tabs of purple rattlesnake 4-way. Ever since he read the Teachings of Don Juan, he takes back country outings quite seriously. My guess is you woke him from a nap, nothing to fear. Pure speculation of course. It would have freaked me out too, but trust me.. he's harmless, more a sign of good karma to come than something to concern yourself with. It all ended on a good note, I take? On a more serious note, a college buddy of mine got bit on his big toe by a baby rattler hopping out of a canoe on a lake near where I went to school. His leg swelled up to the size of my waste and turned a several gnarly shades of purple and black. He lived, of course, but was on crutches for almost a year and I bet his leg was never the same. I see them near my home.. they like warm rocks by the river. I used to have a cat door on my house until my cat started bringing copperheads in the house. Imagine waking up hung over slogging your way to take a leak and a coiled up copper head is at the door of the bathroom while the cat prods and smiles. She never got bit, consummate predators that they are. The cat door is no longer.
user picture

Member for

16 years 11 months

....the fear of snakes. Count me on that list. Found a sidewinder outside my back door a couple years ago. I beat it to death with the long end of a broomhandle....longed for my pride for a few days after....I don't respect you any less Dr. Jones....
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

Went down to Zion for the wall/crack climbin' in 1999. Got lucky and lived at the Flyin' Zion Ranch(right down the way from the little place that the bicycle scene from Butch & Sundance was filmed) for a good portion of the summer. Worked at the Bit-N-Spur.Me & the Kid digested some fungi out at the ranch on a nice 110 degree day and found a HUGE rattler under an old fridge where the campground was down by the Virgin river. We poked it to get 'em out from under the thing and as soon as it moved we backed the fug up to a safe distance and just strobed hard on it. Tripped out hard and just watched it for the next 15 minutes or so as it slithered off to do it's thing without two space cadets fugggin' with it. Sometimes snakes would get washed into the climing routes down there after flash-flood storms,high desert and all. There's storys of people grabbing & throwing snakes out of cracks a thousand feet off the deck so they can get a hold or place gear. Crazy :)
user picture

Member for

8 years 2 months

While gardening one morning I was weeding a bed of periwinkles. I felt like my finger had been stuck by a thorn. When I pulled my hand out, I saw my fingertip bleeding. Upon closer look, there was my trouble. A Pygmy rattlesnake about 12 inches long. Being that all I had on we're gym shorts, I was happy the little bastard didn't bite my marbles or worse. But still 5 minutes later the swelling and pain started up. My friend was an ER doc, so I called him to confirm the species and ID the gray black spotted little viper.He suggested I come into the ER stat, which wasn't a bad idea. Long story short, I still have my fingertip although there is a divit there and it's still without feeling some 20 years later. We have black snakes on the property which I admire, but any poisonous snakes all get a personal meeting with the shovel of death! My cousin routinely shoots cotton mouths and moccasins on his land in Plant City. I've only seen one coral snake, plenty of king snakes, and one giant eastern diamondback that was too quick to deal with. As a whole, I try and stay clear. After one week of absolute tortuous pain, I've had my fill.
user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

When growing up our family was on a vacation in Alabama, which involved dad and his buddy taking my brother and I fishing. But rather than having us fittering around in the boat, they thought it would be fun to drop us off on a small island by ourselves to play Tom Sawyer for an hour or two (while they went off and did those things guys did in the 70's). To amuse ourselves, we started throwing around all the pull tab beer cans that had washed up on shore. Again, this was the 70's. Anyway, one such can was filled with what I thought was water, but when I went to dump it out, a writhing coil of black snakes fell on top of my sneakers. Of course I jumped back and a stone pummeling ensued, and then all remaining beer cans were picked up with long sticks and tossed back in to the shoals. Tragedy narrowly avoided? Only the gods know how narrowly!
user picture

Member for

13 years

Funny all of this talk of snakes. I live right in the city, where snakes are not commonly spotted, but just the other day, a HUGE blacksnake was slithering around between our row homes, hanging out in the few trees and bushes we have. Harmless, I know, but an unnerving sight when you are not expecting it all the same. That being said, after enjoying the heck out of the Laguna Seca 88 shows, I dug around the old Ipod and pulled out the 84 Greek run. I am listening to it backwards, starting with 7/15 (currently in this bad ass Drums/Space with Mickey calling to the stars with the Beam,) and I am blown away at how incredible this show has been! It has probably been years since I listened to these shows, and I had forgotten how hot the boys are playing, especially Jerry, and how damn fine these AUDs sound! I am listening backwards so I can end the journey with the sweet Dark Star encore, which I do remember being something pretty special. Happy days in Deadland, all! Don't nobody fall into the pit, and watch out for those snakes!
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

listened to some of that yesterday. Jerry...poor Jerry. creak creak creak. I mean, really. July 78 he is Uber Jerry. 1.5 years later he is ol' man Jenkins. "aahhh...kwoh..."
user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

You're right, not one of my finer moments. No disrespect intended.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

The snake/serpent of Genesis (in essential meaning) stands for the shell of ego, which tempts "one" into dust to dust...instead of self-realizing the source-lucidity of its own shadow. To self-recognize said source lucidity instantly "sheds" the snake/shadow/shell via form/atom-emptiness transparency; while clinging to one's ego-shell self-expels from the Garden.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

my mind sang "alligator! alligator!" so many ways to go. Poor kid, poor family. The definition of BUMMER. Here a raise of the glass to the child, and here's to a summer filled with HAPPY news.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

I know it was Pigpen.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 2 months

Stoltzy got the obscure reference handily and swiftly! The famous microphone monitor level check. We are a bunch of nuts - no denying! Reminds me of a game some work colleagues would play with me when we would get in the car to go to lunch. They'd put on the satellite radio dead channel and cover up the display asking me to guess the show. I always got the year, almost always the month/tour and regularly got the exact date/venue. They'd laugh and laugh at me. They really marveled when I would guess it based on the tune up alone before any music started!
user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Glad Jerry's not here to read these comments.
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

I do love GD79. Jerry does sound soooo creaky at times. He'd probably agree with me. He was self-deprecating. Great GD79: 12/28/79 10/27/79 8/12/79 and many others
user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

A hint: one of the dozen shows referenced in the riddle is in this July '78 box set. Put on your foil hats and figure it out! The slate is clean, so one more guess per screen name allowed (must have joined prior to 6/22/2016). Bolo
user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

My brain hurts! (Monty Python reference) riddle me this
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/july-1978-the-complete-recordings.html